OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25389Likes

post #7261 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9091 Post(s)
Liked: 5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post
I think I need to turn the HDMI CEC off in this player. When I turn the X800 on manually, my Denon AVR turns on and changes to the TV input from whatever input it might be on. When I use my harmony remote to turn on the Watch Blu-Ray activity, The harmony turns on my TV (Sony 65X900E), my AVR and the X800. The Denon again switches to the TV input. If we are watching a UHD BD and we pause the movie, the Denon switches to the TV input. This was difficult to diagnose what was going on at first because I have no on screen display from my Denon AVR when using the X800 connected directly to my 900E. Will I lose anything important if I turn off the HDMI CEC in this player?

On a side note we played almost 4 whole UHD BDs in a row without a freeze up over several nights and I was beginning to think we were over that player freezing problem. Watched Oblivion UHD, Lego Batman UHD and Pacific Rim UHD with no freeze ups. Last night watched Transformers: Dark Of the Moon and it froze up about 2/3 of the way through. Had to turn the player off and start over. Kind of a pain navigating back to where you left off. Other than the freeze ups this is a solid player.
I use HDMI CEC but I don't use the setting where it turns on my TV or receiver. But I have it set so that when I turn my TV on, the receiver turns on. And when. I turn my TV off, my receiver turns off as well as my x800. And when I turn my X800 on, the receiver and TV will change to the correct inputs. So my Sony TV changes to input 4, and my Onkyo receiver changes to the x800 input. I use HDMI CEC in my UHD and 2K setups this way. And 99% of the time it works great using it this way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Magellan55 likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 06:09 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post
Try Cloverfield Paradox it outputs 4K 24 Hz HDR from the X800 for me, first title I've seen do this on the X800 everything else has been at 60 Hz from Netflix and with my Epson 5040 projector that only has a 10 GB HDMI chipset means I get SDR vs HDR.
The majority of the Netflix content i watch outputs at 24P from the x800.

post #7263 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The majority of the Netflix content i watch outputs at 24P from the x800.

Not for me. I wonder what you have setup in the X800 different than I do to get mostly 24 Hz out of Netflix, I didn't see any such setting that looks like it would affect streaming. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7264 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post
I think I need to turn the HDMI CEC off in this player. When I turn the X800 on manually, my Denon AVR turns on and changes to the TV input from whatever input it might be on. When I use my harmony remote to turn on the Watch Blu-Ray activity, The harmony turns on my TV (Sony 65X900E), my AVR and the X800. The Denon again switches to the TV input. If we are watching a UHD BD and we pause the movie, the Denon switches to the TV input. This was difficult to diagnose what was going on at first because I have no on screen display from my Denon AVR when using the X800 connected directly to my 900E. Will I lose anything important if I turn off the HDMI CEC in this player?
If you have a Harmony remote control and have it setup properly, there is no reason to have CEC turned on -- in fact, turning it on will cause issues with your Harmony activities like the ones you are experiencing. I own a Harmony 650, and leave CEC turned off for all my devices.
Todd Scott, PJL99 and vn800art like this.
post #7265 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Can I control the AVR volume using the Sony remote?

All my other remotes can be programmed to control the AVR volume so it seems a bit unusual if Sony cannot. Yet I can't find a way to do that. Am I missing something or is this just not possible?
post #7266 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
If you have a Harmony remote control and have it setup properly, there is no reason to have CEC turned on -- in fact, turning it on will cause issues with your Harmony activities like the ones you are experiencing. I own a Harmony 650, and leave CEC turned off for all my devices.
Yes I use a Harmony Smart Remote with Hub system. I found the CEC in the X800, but not the 900E, any idea where Sony hides that in the TV menus? I'm not sure how to turn it off in Denon either, but I will find that somewhere. I have an older receiver and I am currently using ARC with the Sony. X800 direct to 900E on HDMI 2, 2nd audio HDMI output to Denon BD input. Not sure why X800 changes it to TV input, which has nothing connected. Dish Hopper is connected to DTV/Cable input.

Thanks to all for the input. Will keep working on this.

Dave
post #7267 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
OK I was able to figure out how to turn off HDMI control in my Denon, and Bravia sync in the X800 and the X900E. After that my watch blu ray activity lost the X900E. Once I added the TV back into the activity everything is working perfectly. The Harmony remote turns everything on and off as it is supposed to with buttered smoothness. Thanks for the assistance.
Scott M, Todd Scott and 49Merc like this.

Dave
post #7268 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,
My Sony UBP X800 had issue no sound is coming! I have been contacted Sony they exchanged my unit and sent back another one! This one skipping audio while playing Blu-ray disks on it! And also I can see screen is blurry too! And also it?s not picking Dolby Atmos sound and playing only 2 channel PCM! Any body having same issues? Any solution to fix! Mean while My dealer installed Samsung UBD 9700 it?s working perfectly. Automatically Picking Dolby Atmos audio if source disk has that!
post #7269 of 9786 Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 PM
UHD Addict

Some UHD BD titles will not automatically select ATmos audio. And you need to manually select Atmos in the disc audio setup menu. It's only a handful of discs though that do this.
49Merc and PJL99 like this.

post #7270 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 102
hi All.

I was watching KingsMan 2 and Atomic Blond on BD over the weekend...
the player shut down once on Kingsman and twice on Atomic Blond.
that's never happened before..

and it's updated with the latest firmware..
anyone have a clue or happened to their player too?
post #7271 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 10:54 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
hi All.

I was watching KingsMan 2 and Atomic Blond on BD over the weekend...
the player shut down once on Kingsman and twice on Atomic Blond.
that's never happened before..

and it's updated with the latest firmware..
anyone have a clue or happened to their player too?
I watched those same two UHD BD titles this past weekend on my X800. Atomic Blond on Saturday night. And Kingsman 2 on Sunday night. I didn't have any issues playing both movies from beginning to end.
I hadn't even opened the movies before this weekend. I have a stack of 30 or so movies that I have yet to open. So hopefully I don't have issues since it's way past the return period.

post #7272 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Freeze ups?

Hey guys. I’m new to this thread.
I picked up an x800 over the holidays. I just started using it with 4k discs and I’m getting freeze ups. All the firmware is updated. Is there a common issue I should know about? It seems to lock up on all my movies so far.
Thanks in advance.

JVC DLA-X750R projector, Panasonic DP-UB820 4k Bluray player, Anthem MRX-720 receiver, 5.1.4 Atmos, Klipsch Reference II Speakers, Dual Sealed 18” UXL Subwoofers - Inuke 6000dsp Sub amp, Buttkicker LFE, Vizio P-65 TV.
post #7273 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500guy View Post
Hey guys. I’m new to this thread.
I picked up an x800 over the holidays. I just started using it with 4k discs and I’m getting freeze ups. All the firmware is updated. Is there a common issue I should know about? It seems to lock up on all my movies so far.
Thanks in advance.
Yeah a number of folks have reported freezes, but it was mostly the early days and reports have been less frequent. Though a few others just mentioned freezes again with the latest firmware. I haven't played a 4k disk in a few weeks so haven't had a chance to see if mine has regressed or not.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #7274 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Well, several people have been pretty vocal about freezes so I figured I'd offer my two cents: I've had my X800 since November and it has never frozen on a 4K Blu-ray or 3D Blu-ray disc. In fact, just a few minutes ago I finished watching Atomic Blonde in 4K, which seems to be one disk people have griped about. No issues at all (just wished they had included Atmos with the release).

Some other 4K discs I've enjoyed: Blade Runner The Final Cut, Blade Runner 2049, The Last Reef, Lucy, Alien Covenant, Valerian, Ender's Game, Ex Machina and X-Men Apocalypse. For 3D Blu-rays, I've watched: San Andreas, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Edge of Tomorrow. All looked amazing and played perfectly.

Just to balance things about a bit in this thread...

~ MAX
Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR | Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray | NVIDIA Shield TV | PlayStation 4 Pro | Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer Andrew Jones Design: SP-C22 Center Channel/4x SP-BS22A-LR Dolby Atmos Bookshelf/SW-8MK2 Subwoofer
post #7275 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
Well, several people have been pretty vocal about freezes so I figured I'd offer my two cents: I've had my X800 since November and it has never frozen on a 4K Blu-ray or 3D Blu-ray disc. In fact, just a few minutes ago I finished watching Atomic Blonde in 4K, which seems to be one disk people have griped about. No issues at all (just wished they had included Atmos with the release).

Some other 4K discs I've enjoyed: Blade Runner The Final Cut, Blade Runner 2049, The Last Reef, Lucy, Alien Covenant, Valerian, Ender's Game, Ex Machina and X-Men Apocalypse. For 3D Blu-rays, I've watched: San Andreas, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Edge of Tomorrow. All looked amazing and played perfectly.

Same here with my X800.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
bradman likes this.
post #7276 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Oh for sure. Appreciate that.
It’s froze on Transformers The Last Night, Guardians of the Galaxy, Kong Skull Island, and Dark Night Rises.

JVC DLA-X750R projector, Panasonic DP-UB820 4k Bluray player, Anthem MRX-720 receiver, 5.1.4 Atmos, Klipsch Reference II Speakers, Dual Sealed 18” UXL Subwoofers - Inuke 6000dsp Sub amp, Buttkicker LFE, Vizio P-65 TV.
post #7277 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Some UHD BD titles will not automatically select ATmos audio. And you need to manually select Atmos in the disc audio setup menu. It's only a handful of discs though that do this.
This post will not be very helpful yet I can tell you that there is a setup setting that must be changed in order for Atmos to work. My memory is faulty so I suggest folks with total failure of Atmos to contact Sony Support. Their tech provided the quick solution.

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
post #7278 of 9786 Old 02-21-2018, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony UBP-X800 stalls or hangs on certain MKV files

Hi guys,

My recently purchased Sony UBP-X800 stalls or hangs on certain MKV files.

The little buffering wheel just keeps rotating on the top right. If I press STOP, the buffering wheel disappears, but the player stalls and won't respond to any commands from the remote. Usually I have to then unplag the player to restart it (why not put an on/off switch on the back of the unit!! grrr, I could then just reach around.)

I initally thought the MKV files may be corrupt, but I can play them on my Playstation or Media Streamer, So I know they work and aren't corrupt.

Any idea's anyone? Cheers, Mark
post #7279 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofwoof09 View Post
Hi guys,

My recently purchased Sony UBP-X800 stalls or hangs on certain MKV files.

The little buffering wheel just keeps rotating on the top right. If I press STOP, the buffering wheel disappears, but the player stalls and won't respond to any commands from the remote. Usually I have to then unplag the player to restart it (why not put an on/off switch on the back of the unit!! grrr, I could then just reach around.)

I initally thought the MKV files may be corrupt, but I can play them on my Playstation or Media Streamer, So I know they work and aren't corrupt.

Any idea's anyone? Cheers, Mark
My Oppo 95 plays almost anything, but for some reason when I feed it mkv files of some of my DVD's it goes into buffering lala land. If I try to interrupt I end up needing to restart the machine, but if I leave it (and it needs at least 5 or minutes) it eventually does the right thing and plays the file.

But even taking the cursor down the list of files - when it alights on an mkv title (most of my videos are .ts files from recorded tv shows) it stalls, and I just have to let it take its own time. So I am now ripping my dvd titles to anything other than mkv; .ts, .iso (which my Nvidia Shield will play, but not my Oppo) etc.

I have used DVD fab for the few excursions into .mkv, and have often wondered whether using makemkv might work better, but.....

Maybe you can experiment giving your machine longer to see if it recovers, as does my Oppo eventually, or maybe that won't work for you.
post #7280 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

I have also not had any freezes on my X800 (4K or Bluray) since i got it. It's been a solid performer and i recently found out that its dual voltage (works on 220v) which made things even better. I honestly cant find anything to complain about the X800.

BTW Atomic Blonde had a DTS:X track. You didn't enjoy it?

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
post #7281 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyyour View Post
BTW Atomic Blonde had a DTS:X track. You didn't enjoy it?
No, the DTS:X was cool (love the soundtrack of this movie!). I just invested more in an Atmos system and am a little bit bummed when any of the 4K blu-rays I buy don't have immersive sound.

~ MAX
Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR | Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray | NVIDIA Shield TV | PlayStation 4 Pro | Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer Andrew Jones Design: SP-C22 Center Channel/4x SP-BS22A-LR Dolby Atmos Bookshelf/SW-8MK2 Subwoofer
post #7282 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked: 4526
Quote:
No, the DTS:X was cool (love the soundtrack of this movie!). I just invested more in an Atmos system and am a little bit bummed when any of the 4K blu-rays I buy don't have immersive sound.

DTS:X is immersive audio. It is DTS’ version
aaronwt likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #7283 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
DTS:X is immersive audio. It is DTS’ version
I was not aware of that; I figured it was just another variant of surround. Oh well, perhaps this movie did not feature much in the overhead channel. I didn't hear anything stand out like I clearly can in other movies like Mad Max.

~ MAX
post #7284 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 11:09 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Atomic Blonde still sounded great with the DTS:X that was on the UHD Blu-ray Disc.

DTS:X is to DTS like Atmos is to Dolby. Just like DTS-HD MA is to DTS like Dolby True HD is to Dolby.
And DTS-HD HR is to DTS like DD+ is to Dolby.
cmdrdredd and wavytoo like this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 02-22-2018 at 11:14 AM.
post #7285 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked: 4526
Quote:
I was not aware of that; I figured it was just another variant of surround. Oh well, perhaps this movie did not feature much in the overhead channel. I didn't hear anything stand out like I clearly can in other movies like Mad Max.
Each mix is a little different. I think so far my favorite DTS:X tracks were on the Harry Potter releases.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #7286 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Do you have your 1080 set up as 5.1.2TM? Others over on that forum claimed DTS:X doesn't work with the top middle speaker setting - it's expecting speakers either ahead or behind the MLP. When front height or the other setting (rear something) is used, you'll get the overhead sound, even with ceiling speakers. Yeah it's kind of a bug in Sony's implementation - they shouldn't just ignore your ceiling speakers even if they aren't in the "right" place according to DTS. I've got mine set up as 5.1.2FH and get Atmos and DTS:X fine, though I really do have front heights.

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #7287 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I've also played numerous 4K, 3D, and HD discs and have never had a freeze. I do stay current on the firmware updates and have also not had any issues transitioning from one to the other... Well, with the exception of having HDMI handshake issues introduced by one of the early updates but that was fixed on the next update.

I can't imagine that any settings would contribute to this but I don't know what else it could be other than hardware related, which seems unlikely to me.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #7288 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This happened while watching HP 4. Second WB disc to do so.
post #7289 of 9786 Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 99
When i first got my X1000es i had several freezes on regular BD's and 4K. At the time, i had 3 different brand of HDMI cables, all Premium certified though and the player was connected to the internet. With that setup, i also had frequent HDMI handshake problems, like the screen going black for a few seconds, and sometimes the picture never came on and i had to stop the movie, restarted it and the picture would come back on. My setup is an HDMI cable from the player connected directly to the TV, another one connected from the player to a soundbar for audio and another from the soundbar to the TV ARC HDMI input. All three cables premium certified. But was still having all those issues. So looking for a solution to the problem and reading all these forums, i decided to bite the bullet and bought 3 Monster cables "Advance Speed" from Target at $40 a piece, though they are not premium certified, they are 18gbs. My intention was to try them and see if that would at least reduce the frequency of the issues, if not, i could always return them. So i went home, hooked up all three cables, same brand, Monster reputation and killed the internet connection on the player as some people suggested. That was 3 months ago, and to my delightful surprise, all thoses issues i was having completely dissapeared. Not a single issue since. Knock on wood. I hope this helps people still having issues with this player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #7290 of 9786 Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
Do you have your 1080 set up as 5.1.2TM? Others over on that forum claimed DTS:X doesn't work with the top middle speaker setting - it's expecting speakers either ahead or behind the MLP. When front height or the other setting (rear something) is used, you'll get the overhead sound, even with ceiling speakers. Yeah it's kind of a bug in Sony's implementation - they shouldn't just ignore your ceiling speakers even if they aren't in the "right" place according to DTS. I've got mine set up as 5.1.2FH and get Atmos and DTS:X fine, though I really do have front heights.
Yeah, mine is configured properly and I can see when the formats switch, including when DTS:X shows in the display. I was just not aware it was the DTS immersive answer to Atmos. (For the last 5 years I've had a simple 2.1 soundbar set up for my old Panny plasma.)

~ MAX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page