OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 252 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25422Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7531 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 06:50 AM
Member
 
Max Rockatansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Justice View Post
Why does it seem 4k Netflix and Youtube movies/videos have better color 'pop' than all of my Ultra Blu-Ray 4k/HDR discs? Frankly, so far I'm underwhelmed with said discs.
One reason may be the quality of the 4K transfer on the disks themselves. Unfortunately, many disks that are sold today are not true 4K sourced; rather, they are 1K upscales done on quickie budgets by the studios to capitalize on the newer, higher resolution craze.

That's why I always visit Real or Fake 4K to check whether a movie I'm interested in buying is a true 4K transfer or just an upscaled 1080p scan. Although some 'fake' 4K or 'near' 4K can look amazing with great HDR processing, some movies do indeed look pretty much the same as the ordinary Blu-rays I'd bought in the past.
Social Justice likes this.

~ MAX
Sony XBR-65Z9D 4K TV | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR | Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray | NVIDIA Shield TV | PlayStation 4 Pro | Harmony Ultimate
Pioneer Andrew Jones Design: SP-C22 Center Channel/4x SP-BS22A-LR Dolby Atmos Bookshelf/SW-8MK2 Subwoofer
Max Rockatansky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7532 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,114
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Rockatansky View Post
One reason may be the quality of the 4K transfer on the disks themselves. Unfortunately, many disks that are sold today are not true 4K sourced; rather, they are 1K upscales done on quickie budgets by the studios to capitalize on the newer, higher resolution craze.



That's why I always visit Real or Fake 4K to check whether a movie I'm interested in buying is a true 4K transfer or just an upscaled 1080p scan. Although some 'fake' 4K or 'near' 4K can look amazing with great HDR processing, some movies do indeed look pretty much the same as the ordinary Blu-rays I'd bought in the past.


More so than that it’s up to the director and colorist etc to decide how to grade a movie in hdr. Not every movie should have that near 3D look to it.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is online now  
post #7533 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 08:28 AM
Member
 
ccoates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: CO
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratogustav View Post
My guess is that people experience lock ups is because they are using rentals, or they are very careless with their discs.
I never rented a disc in my life and my library of discs are in pristine condition. Plus, I've owned several blu-ray players in the past, many of them Sony, and never experienced lock ups before. I've tested so many variables to try to isolate these lock ups. Since I've played many of my movies before on other players without lockups, the idea of damaged discs being the cause is highly unlikely.

Since some people have had perfect experiences with their x800s, while others have had terrible experiences with lock ups, it seems most likely to me to be related to some bug in the firmware that gets triggered by some condition that only occurs for some people. Since it happens a lot to those people, it could be related to the environment (i.e. their network, the other connected components, the electrical system, etc.). As a software engineer, I have a lot of experience dealing with bugs in software. And this just feels like a very deep bug that is difficult to reproduce, but occurs often enough that it can't be ignored.

I am holding out hope that a future firmware update will eventually fix this issue for everyone experiencing it.
WynsWrld98 and stratogustav like this.
ccoates is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7534 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 08:52 AM
Member
 
stratogustav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoates View Post
I never rented a disc in my life and my library of discs are in pristine condition. Plus, I've owned several blu-ray players in the past, many of them Sony, and never experienced lock ups before. I've tested so many variables to try to isolate these lock ups. Since I've played many of my movies before on other players without lockups, the idea of damaged discs being the cause is highly unlikely.

Since some people have had perfect experiences with their x800s, while others have had terrible experiences with lock ups, it seems most likely to me to be related to some bug in the firmware that gets triggered by some condition that only occurs for some people. Since it happens a lot to those people, it could be related to the environment (i.e. their network, the other connected components, the electrical system, etc.). As a software engineer, I have a lot of experience dealing with bugs in software. And this just feels like a very deep bug that is difficult to reproduce, but occurs often enough that it can't be ignored.

I am holding out hope that a future firmware update will eventually fix this issue for everyone experiencing it.
Did you buy it new in the box or did it come refurbished?
stratogustav is offline  
post #7535 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Member
 
ccoates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: CO
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratogustav View Post
Did you buy it new in the box or did it come refurbished?
I returned my first one due to the freezing issue and got a replacement. Both were new. The original and replacement were from different Best Buy stores about 20 miles apart.
ccoates is offline  
post #7536 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Member
 
HiRez24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I just finished negotiating a refund for this player with Sony. I tried three players and all exhibited random freezing on all mediums that only a plug pull would fix.

Sony tried offering me the 1000es but as that player had the same hardware as the 800 I declined and insisted on a refund. I really would love to know what the story with Theese players is.

I even tried two different televisions and two separate receivers, I can't help but think that there is a hardware/ firmware issue that can't be fixed, but then there are people on here that say they have never had a problem so who knows.

I won't let this steer me away from Sony in the future as they ultimately stood behind the product by giving me a refund. I hope they find a solution because I have also read issues of the 700 exhibiting the same issues.

So I guess after I get the shipping label and send this unit back to Sony I won't be an owner so this will be my last post on this thread.

Good luck all and thanks for the advice, insight and conversation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mains: Swan diva 6.1 Center: Swan diva C3 Surrounds: Swan Diva 4.1 Sourround Back: Polk TSi200 Sub: SVS SB-2000 x 2 Front And Rear Top Speakers: SpeakerCraft AIM 8 TWO Series 2PreAmp : AV-8802a Amps: Outlaw 7200\Onkyo M-5010 Transport :Oppo 205 UHD Display:Sony XBR85X900F Turntable:project audio debut carbon esprit sb beatles 1964

Last edited by HiRez24; 03-17-2018 at 09:47 AM.
HiRez24 is online now  
post #7537 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
drock0221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Does anyone else experience very slow scrolling on a USB flash drive with movies on it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
drock0221 is offline  
post #7538 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kai Winters's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Sigh...While watching Thor: Ragnarok 4k tonight the movie froze twice. I was able to get it going again by rewinding a bit then hitting play the first time. The second time I was a bit patient and it resumed. Guess it is a buffering problem but that's just a guess.
I've called Sony in the past, couple of months ago, and followed all their directions for setup, etc. and it played all BD disks just fine but the first 4k I've played and blooie.

And to answer some posters...not a rental...bought brandy newy at BB and the disk is flawless...It's not the disk, not the handling, not the rest of my HT system...it's the player...

Will be calling Sony on Monday to start a return for repair, refurbish, refund, whatever I can get at this point.

I have a less expensive Samsung 4k player that never had a problem so I'll put that back into the system tomorrow and see what happens...what a pain in the ass.

At this point I'm probably done with Sony...maybe I'll give the Oppo a try but that is an expensive way to go...sigh


*****Well I perhaps jumped the gun regarding a clean disk. I checked the back of the disk before I put it away and noticed several smudges on it. One in the center of the play area and 2 others scattered. I did not put them there as I always remove/hold by the edges only. I used my eye glasses cleaner spray to spritz the disk and the glasses cloth to clean it. Put it back in the player and went to the same two areas that froze and huzzah! no freezes. So I guess it was or may have been a dirty disk. I'll check them now before I put them in the tray and may give them a spritz and wipe before play anyway.*****

TV: Sony XBR 65X950G, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Media Player: Zidoo Z9S, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home

Last edited by Kai Winters; 03-18-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Correction???
Kai Winters is offline  
post #7539 of 9959 Old 03-17-2018, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cortiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Sigh...While watching Thor: Ragnarok 4k tonight the movie froze twice. I was able to get it going again by rewinding a bit then hitting play the first time. The second time I was a bit patient and it resumed. Guess it is a buffering problem but that's just a guess.

I've called Sony in the past, couple of months ago, and followed all their directions for setup, etc. and it played all BD disks just fine but the first 4k I've played and blooie.



And to answer some posters...not a rental...bought brandy newy at BB and the disk is flawless...It's not the disk, not the handling, not the rest of my HT system...it's the player...



Will be calling Sony on Monday to start a return for repair, refurbish, refund, whatever I can get at this point.



I have a less expensive Samsung 4k player that never had a problem so I'll put that back into the system tomorrow and see what happens...what a pain in the ass.



At this point I'm probably done with Sony...maybe I'll give the Oppo a try but that is an expensive way to go...sigh


I have both the Oppo and the Sony X1000es. The Oppo ramdonly freezes while playing 4k and BD discs every once in a while as well, even after the recent firmware. So the Oppo is not exempt from these random freezes. I've had the 1000es for almost a year. At first, it was randomly freezing quite often. Based on all the info i gathered from all the online threads about the freezing issue, i made the following adjustments/changes:
1) disconnected the player from the internet.
2) i had 3 HDMI cables on my setup. All three were premium certified but different brands. So i went to Target, and bought 3 Monsters Advance Speed HDMI cables, even though they are not premium certified, they are 18gb. I swap the HDMI cables with these Monsters cables, and believe it or not the random freezes dissapeared. I've had this setup now since November last year, and not a single freeze/lock up since. The Monster cables were quite pricey, but seems to have taken care of the problem and i am quite satisfied. Now, i believe having all 18gb HDMI cables of the same brand on your setup seems to help with the problem. It worked for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cortiz is offline  
post #7540 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,491
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
I have both the Oppo and the Sony X1000es. The Oppo ramdonly freezes while playing 4k and BD discs every once in a while as well, even after the recent firmware. So the Oppo is not exempt from these random freezes. I've had the 1000es for almost a year. At first, it was randomly freezing quite often. Based on all the info i gathered from all the online threads about the freezing issue, i made the following adjustments/changes:
1) disconnected the player from the internet.
2) i had 3 HDMI cables on my setup. All three were premium certified but different brands. So i went to Target, and bought 3 Monsters Advance Speed HDMI cables, even though they are not premium certified, they are 18gb. I swap the HDMI cables with these Monsters cables, and believe it or not the random freezes dissapeared. I've had this setup now since November last year, and not a single freeze/lock up since. The Monster cables were quite pricey, but seems to have taken care of the problem and i am quite satisfied. Now, i believe having all 18gb HDMI cables of the same brand on your setup seems to help with the problem. It worked for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt the monster cables had anything to do with it. You may have had a defective cable or defective cables that could have easily been replaced with cheap alternatives. Monster cables are basically snake oil.

And besides, the issues with this player aren't related to cables. The player does have some legit issues, mainly with certain WB titles. Dunkirk seems to be the most notorious. I may have already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I can play 4K discs on the X800, and also on my Xbox One X. Dunkirk barely plays in my X800... constant freezing. Xbox plays it fine. SO, testing the 'it's your cable' theory, I swapped the cable from my Xbox to the X800. The disc still freezes. So it's a player issue.

There's something about WB encodes that if they do a certain something, the X800 seemingly doesn't like. I doubt it's hardware related. The machine needs a firmware update. I'd bet money on it. Even Sony were able to reproduce a freeze with Blade Runner 2049 (which yes, some people have had issue with as well, although not as severe as with Dunkirk).

This 'swap your cable' thing isn't going to help many people inthis case.
mzupeman is offline  
post #7541 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cortiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 101
OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
I doubt the monster cables had anything to do with it. You may have had a defective cable or defective cables that could have easily been replaced with cheap alternatives. Monster cables are basically snake oil.

And besides, the issues with this player aren't related to cables. The player does have some legit issues, mainly with certain WB titles. Dunkirk seems to be the most notorious. I may have already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I can play 4K discs on the X800, and also on my Xbox One X. Dunkirk barely plays in my X800... constant freezing. Xbox plays it fine. SO, testing the 'it's your cable' theory, I swapped the cable from my Xbox to the X800. The disc still freezes. So it's a player issue.

There's something about WB encodes that if they do a certain something, the X800 seemingly doesn't like. I doubt it's hardware related. The machine needs a firmware update. I'd bet money on it. Even Sony were able to reproduce a freeze with Blade Runner 2049 (which yes, some people have had issue with as well, although not as severe as with Dunkirk).

This 'swap your cable' thing isn't going to help many people inthis case.


Maybe my previous cables were defective, who knows. They were all new though. IMO not all HDMI cables are created equal. I don't believe expensive cables are going to make PQ /AQ better like some people believe, that's BS, but i do believe quality matters and when you buy cheap cables, you'll get what you paid for. My player randomly froze quite a bit before i changed all the HDMI cables and disbaled the internet connection. Not anymore. Dunkirk, Blade Runner and all those new WB 4K discs played fine now and i haven't had any freezes or lock ups since. Perhaps not everyone's case is the same as mine, and perhaps there are a lot of defectives players out there. I just posted what i did that fixed my player issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
49Merc likes this.

Last edited by Cortiz; 03-18-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Cortiz is offline  
post #7542 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
Maybe my previous cables were defective, who knows. They were all new though. My player randomly froze quite a bit before i changed all the HDMI cables and disbaled the internet connection. Not anymore. Dunkirk, Blade Runner and all those new WB 4K discs played fine now and i haven't had any freezes or lock ups since. Perhaps not everyone's case is the same as mine, and perhaps there are a lot of defectives players out there. I just posted what i did that fixed my player issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have trouble playing Logan and thats 21st century fox. All the other 4k blu's play fine. It definitely is the player and not the rocketfish hdmi's I have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Flex27_ is offline  
post #7543 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cortiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 101
OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex27_ View Post
I have trouble playing Logan and thats 21st century fox. All the other 4k blu's play fine. It definitely is the player and not the rocketfish hdmi's I have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk


It probably is. But it would not hurt to try different things and and try to rule out the different posibilities. On a side note, i used to have a Rocketfish cable on my setup when i was having issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Cortiz; 03-18-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Cortiz is offline  
post #7544 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
It probably is. But it would not hurt to try different things and and try to rule out the different posibilities. On a side note, i used to have a Rocketfish cable on my setup when i was having issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh really. I guess I"ll have to experiment with better cables to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Flex27_ is offline  
post #7545 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm kinda mad that the player doesn't support Vudu 4k. That would of been really nice to have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Flex27_ is offline  
post #7546 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Tristan944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drock0221 View Post
Does anyone else experience very slow scrolling on a USB flash drive with movies on it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
If you’re scrolling through folders, it should not be slow.
If you have the actual movie files all in a folder, then it will be slow because it has to populate more data. If you are in this situation, make a “Jurassic World” folder and put the movie file in there. Do this for all your movies and you should be able to scroll through the folder names quickly.
drock0221 likes this.

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
Tristan944 is offline  
post #7547 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Member
 
Tristan944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Sigh...While watching Thor: Ragnarok 4k tonight the movie froze twice. I was able to get it going again by rewinding a bit then hitting play the first time. The second time I was a bit patient and it resumed. Guess it is a buffering problem but that's just a guess.
I've called Sony in the past, couple of months ago, and followed all their directions for setup, etc. and it played all BD disks just fine but the first 4k I've played and blooie.

And to answer some posters...not a rental...bought brandy newy at BB and the disk is flawless...It's not the disk, not the handling, not the rest of my HT system...it's the player...

Will be calling Sony on Monday to start a return for repair, refurbish, refund, whatever I can get at this point.

I have a less expensive Samsung 4k player that never had a problem so I'll put that back into the system tomorrow and see what happens...what a pain in the ass.

At this point I'm probably done with Sony...maybe I'll give the Oppo a try but that is an expensive way to go...sigh


*****Well I perhaps jumped the gun regarding a clean disk. I checked the back of the disk before I put it away and noticed several smudges on it. One in the center of the play area and 2 others scattered. I did not put them there as I always remove/hold by the edges only. I used my eye glasses cleaner spray to spritz the disk and the glasses cloth to clean it. Put it back in the player and went to the same two areas that froze and huzzah! no freezes. So I guess it was or may have been a dirty disk. I'll check them now before I put them in the tray and may give them a spritz and wipe before play anyway.*****
The warranty return process through Sony is a nightmare. At one time their phone system was down and they couldn’t even transfer me to the correct department. I don’t want to know how many hours I spent on the phone trying to get a replacement. I finally gave up, told Amazon about my experience with Sony, and Amazon sent me a replacement.

I didn’t install my first X800, the company who installed my movie theater did. The X800 box says to make sure all connections were connected before turning the power on. I wonder if some of my problems with my first player were because they may not have followed those instructions.

When I received the new unit, I connected everything first then turned it on.
I have also disabled Quick Start or whatever it’s called. That seems to have made all the difference. The unit now turns on and off correctly. I have a portable hard drive connected to the X800 which caused a lot of problems when I had Quick Start enabled. Now that that feature is turned off, I’ve had ZERO problems with playback. It has been so nice, I actually love the X800 now!

My main recommendation: DISABLE QUICK START.
Angel Pagan likes this.

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
Tristan944 is offline  
post #7548 of 9959 Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cortiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex27_ View Post
Oh really. I guess I"ll have to experiment with better cables to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk


I would recommend having the same exact cable brand on all your setup connections.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cortiz is offline  
post #7549 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,268
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
The warranty return process through Sony is a nightmare. At one time their phone system was down and they couldn’t even transfer me to the correct department. I don’t want to know how many hours I spent on the phone trying to get a replacement. I finally gave up, told Amazon about my experience with Sony, and Amazon sent me a replacement.

I didn’t install my first X800, the company who installed my movie theater did. The X800 box says to make sure all connections were connected before turning the power on. I wonder if some of my problems with my first player were because they may not have followed those instructions.

When I received the new unit, I connected everything first then turned it on.
I have also disabled Quick Start or whatever it’s called. That seems to have made all the difference. The unit now turns on and off correctly. I have a portable hard drive connected to the X800 which caused a lot of problems when I had Quick Start enabled. Now that that feature is turned off, I’ve had ZERO problems with playback. It has been so nice, I actually love the X800 now!

My main recommendation: DISABLE QUICK START.
Quick start on the X800? And how do you turn this feature off? I don't remember seeing it in the menu?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #7550 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Toxic teletubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Hmm. I really like(ed) this player until recently. Purchased brand new last fall. I purchase all disc's, no rentals, and am meticulous with the spinners. Did not experience any lock up's until late January and now they have become more common. Sony needs to come up with some answers. My old Samsung 8500 has performed flawlessly but I much prefer the pic from the Sony and the SACD is a huge plus. If the lock ups continue, I'm going to ask Sony for a refund.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
Toxic teletubby is offline  
post #7551 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Todd Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I suggest we start hammering Sony with complaints whenever lockups occur. Maybe there is something that can be done firmware wise to fix this. I would bet it has something to do with overzealous HDCP.

This is a monster corporation we are talking about. They want to sell a million X700's and the X800 will likely get no more love from Sony now.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
Todd Scott is offline  
post #7552 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Member
 
Tristan944's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Quick start on the X800? And how do you turn this feature off? I don't remember seeing it in the menu?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
During the original Setup, it asks you if you want to keep it on. It is on by default. You can go into the settings and find it and turn it off. I don't remember which setting category its under.

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
Tristan944 is offline  
post #7553 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
mustang5o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Somewhere in middle America.
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This player was topping my list of options but with all of these issues I may have to reconsider. I'll post my questions anyway just in case a fix comes out soon.

According the first page of this thread Sony handles the following apps:

Netflix (4K, HDR Support, Dolby Digital, 24fps)
Amazon Video (4K, Dolby Digital +, 24fps)
YouTube (4K, HDR Support, 24fps)
Vudu (3D support, Dolby Digital +, 24fps)
Hulu Plus

Has there been any updates? I was hoping for a player that also supported 4K and HDR from all of those plus HBO (no 4K yet I don't believe). So far it seems the Xbox One S is the closest but it doesn't support HDR from Amazon video https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201648150 . Even their own FireTV doesn't support HDR for themselves. As a separate streamer the upper end Roku devices seem to be the best. I was really hoping for all in one unit but looks like I might need two devices (player and streamer).

"Like a Ninja, only better!"

Current HT Room Build
mustang5o is offline  
post #7554 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,268
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
During the original Setup, it asks you if you want to keep it on. It is on by default. You can go into the settings and find it and turn it off. I don't remember which setting category its under.
Ok thanks. I haven't had many problems with my X800 but I'll keep it in mind if it starts to act up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #7555 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
deltasun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Been following this thread for a while. I've had one lock-up and it was when I first turned it on back in November. Haven't had another since (knock on wood). Last night I tried Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 (watched Dunkirk all the way through; about 15 minutes or so of Blade Runner) and no lock-ups at all. Both looked great!

Cable-wise, it's funny because I definitely preach using cheapie Monoprice cables. But somehow, I did spend a little extra on Audioquest cables for a couple of connections. I only have it from my X800 to my Onkyo receiver and from my Onkyo receiver to my TV. Other connections (PS3, other BD players), I still have my bright yellow Monoprice HDMI cables.

Just wanted to add another data point and hope you guys get some relief soon!
Flex27_ likes this.

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
deltasun is offline  
post #7556 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
Been following this thread for a while. I've had one lock-up and it was when I first turned it on back in November. Haven't had another since (knock on wood). Last night I tried Dunkirk and Blade Runner 2049 (watched Dunkirk all the way through; about 15 minutes or so of Blade Runner) and no lock-ups at all. Both looked great!

Cable-wise, it's funny because I definitely preach using cheapie Monoprice cables. But somehow, I did spend a little extra on Audioquest cables for a couple of connections. I only have it from my X800 to my Onkyo receiver and from my Onkyo receiver to my TV. Other connections (PS3, other BD players), I still have my bright yellow Monoprice HDMI cables.

Just wanted to add another data point and hope you guys get some relief soon!
Do you have any definite HDMI performance increases using the Audioquest? How about substituting Monoprice HDMI’s and see if there is any difference.

Thank you

Sony 4K XBR55X930E, Sony 4K UBPX800 Blu-Ray Player, Sony HTST 5000 SoundBar, DirecTV 4K HS17 w/2 Mini Genies, Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice Cables
49Merc is offline  
post #7557 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
I have both the Oppo and the Sony X1000es. The Oppo ramdonly freezes while playing 4k and BD discs every once in a while as well, even after the recent firmware. So the Oppo is not exempt from these random freezes. I've had the 1000es for almost a year. At first, it was randomly freezing quite often. Based on all the info i gathered from all the online threads about the freezing issue, i made the following adjustments/changes:
1) disconnected the player from the internet.
2) i had 3 HDMI cables on my setup. All three were premium certified but different brands. So i went to Target, and bought 3 Monsters Advance Speed HDMI cables, even though they are not premium certified, they are 18gb. I swap the HDMI cables with these Monsters cables, and believe it or not the random freezes dissapeared. I've had this setup now since November last year, and not a single freeze/lock up since. The Monster cables were quite pricey, but seems to have taken care of the problem and i am quite satisfied. Now, i believe having all 18gb HDMI cables of the same brand on your setup seems to help with the problem. It worked for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you using both of the HDMI outputs or just one?
jkeldo is online now  
post #7558 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
Scott M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
My UX800 locked up around 2 hours into watching The Dark Knight Rises recently. The disc looked fine. I have watched very few discs since getting it; fewer than 10. I cleaned the disc and after a series of reboots and cleanings, it did finish playing with no other hiccups. But hearing others reporting playback issues, I am growing concerned. Tonight we have Thor: Ragnarok on the docket, so we'll see if it chokes. I admit I like the Sony, but if it isn't going to play discs I will look at a Samsung or LG.
My X-800 locked up on The Dark Knight Rises at around that same time mark last week. The disc was clean, but I ran it under cold water anyway and wiped it off. The disc played fine after that -- resumed from the same spot where it locked up.

That's about a half dozen times I have experienced a lock-up with this player -- all with UHD discs. It's my 2nd X800, received as a warranty replacement around late July after my first one completely stopped reading UHD discs. BTW, I have Quick Start turned off, so that is not the cure for this issue.

Last edited by Scott M; 03-19-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Scott M is offline  
post #7559 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratogustav View Post
My guess is that people experience lock ups is because they are using rentals, or they are very careless with their discs.
Definitely not the case for me. I have only had one issue so far. So, here's hoping it was a fluke. Thor Ragnarok played through with no issues, so that is good. I was rather concerned after my Dark Knight Rises experience.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #7560 of 9959 Old 03-19-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
My X-800 locked up on The Dark Knight Rises at around that same time mark last week. The disc was clean, but I ran it under cold water anyway and wiped it off. The disc played fine after that -- resumed from the same spot where it locked up.

That's about a half dozen times I have experienced a lock-up with this player -- all with UHD discs. It's my 2nd X800, received as a warranty replacement around late July after my first one completely stopped reading UHD discs. BTW, I have Quick Start turned off, so that is not the cure for this issue.
Then perhaps it is that disc? Good to know. And, yeah, I don't use the Quick Start feature either.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off