OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25409Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #751 of 9894 Old 03-12-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
meburdick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Take it up with Sony. Its the only way to get things fixed.
Tried.

Used the chat option with Support for well over an hour. They told me to turn off Enhanced mode on my TV input, set 24p to Auto (didn't specify for which media types no matter how many times I asked), referred me to the owner's manual, told me to fix the output resolution, then conceded that they really didn't know anything because it's a new product and I would need to CALL into Support and start all over again.

I griped loudly about having been put through all of that when they knew nothing about the product and then was told to call and start again. I mentioned that I have 45 days to return it to Best Buy. Since the chat is completely logged, I expect it makes its way "up the chain" with Sony and they will get it addressed. If a new firmware comes out to correct it, great. If not, I'll be making a decision somewhere around day 40 as to what to do.
meburdick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 9894 Old 03-12-2017, 07:23 PM
Senior Member
 
robert ham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 166
DTS-X and ATMOS, 196KB

Be sure to set the audio on the X800 to 196KB, that allows Perfect streaming of the DTS-X and ATMOS audio tracks. Both are clearly identified on my Yamaha RX-V3050 AV Receiver.. When I use The Last Witch Hunter DTS-X audio test track, all my 11.1 speakers work as they should.. Not to mention the awesome sound the movie creates.. Be sure to set your AV Receiver to STRAIGHT MODE, at least that is what you do on the Yamaha for DTS-X and ATMOS... Just an FYI...
tigerhonaker and Onedark1 like this.
robert ham is offline  
post #753 of 9894 Old 03-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
robert ham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Free????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Holy crap the revenant is the best looking 4K movie I've seen on this machine so far!
Is that one of the Movies Sony offers for free????
robert ham is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #754 of 9894 Old 03-12-2017, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
robert ham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Auto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
I have the ubpx800 hooked up to my XBR 65X930C which has HDR all my Hdmi ports are set to enhanced. Where or how should the color space be set too? YCbCr (4:2:2) or (4:4:4) or Auto? Does it depend on the movie or the TV on where it's set? Also I'm using a monoprice certified high speed active Hdmi cable that puts out the 18Gbps 6foot long. I'm not well versed on this. Any suggestions to the get the best performance out of this unit?
I find using AUTO makes things less complicated for me, and so far everything I have tried over the last 3 days has worked flawlessly! I have the same TV set as you do!! I think my HDMI cable cost me $12.00 on eBay and it works fine.. As long as the HDMI cable is under 6 feet, all internal pins are wired up, and has shielding, should do the job.. I am not big into paying $65 for a Monster Cable,,
robert ham is offline  
post #755 of 9894 Old 03-12-2017, 07:50 PM
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,750
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ham View Post
Is that one of the Movies Sony offers for free????
No.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
AMartin56 is offline  
post #756 of 9894 Old 03-12-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,144
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfe8851 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
I use original so the tv upscales 1080 blus. I wouls think your tv upscales better then the player but its all what looks better to you
I see this repeated often that the TV upscales better than players. I find this contradictory to what was once the case. Back in DVD and early Bluray days, there was a lot of ballyhoo about high grade players and AVRs having better chips for HD conversion. My Yamaha RX-A3000 has a HQV video chip for example, which at the time was one of the best. And it showed even on my Kuro. Going back further, I had Pioneer DVD player that definitely scaled SD discs better than leaving it to just the TV. And that was verified by tests that you could find on the web at the time too. Reason I bought it.

I have a Sammy K8500 and not long before that I bought a Sony S6700. Both upscale well. In fact I reall can't tell any difference between them nor if I use 1080p or even 576p (PAL here in Aus). Nor can I see much difference on 1080p left to the TV's scaler. BUT I do think the players do a better job of upscaling DVDs than left just to the TV.

So my question is... is there any empirical data to justify the commonly held belief that current TVs scale better than players? Or are we just repeating some well-regarded commentators' opinions without evidence. No offence, but I think from what I see, higher end players have pretty much one job and that is to produce high quality resolution using dedicated components and I would like to see something that proves one way or the other.
I havent watched a dvd in years so i cant speak to that. IMO, ive owned the samsung player, and i have a samsung tv, ive went through multiple testing, the tv did it better, the sammy player has notable issues regarding undefeatable DNR which in turn made the picture softer then these other players on the market, which is why i kept my regular blu ray player for 1080 blus and the sammy for 4k discs, because thats basically all we had at a decent price point. At the end of the day, again, its what looks good to you. Personally, I prefer my tv to do the leg work but this player is very good, doubt you will notice much of a difference either way. Just do what looks best to you, its real simple!
wmoss35 is online now  
post #757 of 9894 Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfe8851 View Post
I see this repeated often that the TV upscales better than players. I find this contradictory to what was once the case. Back in DVD and early Bluray days, there was a lot of ballyhoo about high grade players and AVRs having better chips for HD conversion. My Yamaha RX-A3000 has a HQV video chip for example, which at the time was one of the best. And it showed even on my Kuro. Going back further, I had Pioneer DVD player that definitely scaled SD discs better than leaving it to just the TV. And that was verified by tests that you could find on the web at the time too. Reason I bought it.

I have a Sammy K8500 and not long before that I bought a Sony S6700. Both upscale well. In fact I reall can't tell any difference between them nor if I use 1080p or even 576p (PAL here in Aus). Nor can I see much difference on 1080p left to the TV's scaler. BUT I do think the players do a better job of upscaling DVDs than left just to the TV.

So my question is... is there any empirical data to justify the commonly held belief that current TVs scale better than players? Or are we just repeating some well-regarded commentators' opinions without evidence. No offence, but I think from what I see, higher end players have pretty much one job and that is to produce high quality resolution using dedicated components and I would like to see something that proves one way or the other.
This is something I'd like to see additional comments on as well.
mzupeman is offline  
post #758 of 9894 Old 03-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Member
 
jpfe8851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Just got mine hooked up and I'm having an issue with resolution.

<snip>

I'm also having an issue with the audio. I've set the HDMI Audio output for HDMI 2 since my older AVR doesn't support 4K / HDMI2 inputs. HDMI 1 is connected directly to the TV and HDMI 2 is connected to HDMI Input 2 on the AVR. When I play anything from the x800, my AVR auto-switches to the "TV" input which is a TOSLINK cable from the TV. According to the settings menu in the x800, choosing HDMI2 output for audio should eliminate the audio signal from HDMI1. Yet, audio is clearly passing along HDMI1 -> TV -> AVR (via TOSLINK). As a result, my AVR detects audio input on the TOSLINK and skips the audio in on HDMI Input 2 and I lose the audio quality (which is the whole purpose of having the second HDMI out in use in the first place).
Returning to your post... this issue would happen whatever 4K player you use if routing video and audio via two HDMI outputs.

This is occurring because you're using HDMI Control (CEC) which may be on by default. It means that when you turn on, for example, your player the TV turns on, your AVR turns on, the TV changes to the player's input and your AVR is being set to the input your TV uses for its audio output. The reason it's selecting the TVs toslink output is because you have the HDMI coming direct from the X800 so it "thinks" it's doing the right thing as is ignorant of your audio passing through your AVR. If you routed both audio and video via the AVR, it would select the correct inputs. But then of course there'd be no 4K. With CEC, I get exactly the same behaviour.

So, to fix this, you will have to forego CEC and turn off on all three devices. Of course you then lose having one remote (the TV normally) control all the devices. For me that was not a problem as I've been using a Harmony remote for years. As you control which inputs and what the buttons control via the Harmony app, this is far superior to CEC in my opinion. Whether this is seen as an advantage or a PITA to you is up to you. For me CEC is nice in simple setups but as I have a TV, cable box, a couple players (BD + HDDVD), Apple TV, Sonos and NAS server, all with audio through a Yamaha RX-A3000 AVR, the Harmony is a breeze. Oh, and the Harmony controls my lights and bias lighting too.
jpfe8851 is offline  
post #759 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 02:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any comparative reviews to OPPO UDP-203 ?
Ziba Ji is offline  
post #760 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nima's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I cancelled my pre-order since SDR/2020 seems not to be supported with the HDfury Linker.
Nima is online now  
post #761 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 05:13 AM
Senior Member
 
ecossecableman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ecosse-scotland
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
I cancelled my pre-order since SDR/2020 seems not to be supported with the HDfury Linker.
. HDFury told me they don't have the Sony yet, but will be getting one this month to check
AMartin56 and Smack23 like this.
ecossecableman is offline  
post #762 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
Any comparative reviews to OPPO UDP-203 ?

Sure, I had my 203 for about 45 days, it glitched on almost every UHD I put in (in some sort of way) and the tray would hang open requiring a reboot. So I sold it for a slight loss.

The 800 has played every UHD disc properly I put in it and the PQ is great. It also has streaming apps.
aaronwt and larry888 like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #763 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
meburdick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfe8851 View Post
Returning to your post... this issue would happen whatever 4K player you use if routing video and audio via two HDMI outputs.

This is occurring because you're using HDMI Control (CEC) which may be on by default. It means that when you turn on, for example, your player the TV turns on, your AVR turns on, the TV changes to the player's input and your AVR is being set to the input your TV uses for its audio output. The reason it's selecting the TVs toslink output is because you have the HDMI coming direct from the X800 so it "thinks" it's doing the right thing as is ignorant of your audio passing through your AVR. If you routed both audio and video via the AVR, it would select the correct inputs. But then of course there'd be no 4K. With CEC, I get exactly the same behaviour.

So, to fix this, you will have to forego CEC and turn off on all three devices. Of course you then lose having one remote (the TV normally) control all the devices. For me that was not a problem as I've been using a Harmony remote for years. As you control which inputs and what the buttons control via the Harmony app, this is far superior to CEC in my opinion. Whether this is seen as an advantage or a PITA to you is up to you. For me CEC is nice in simple setups but as I have a TV, cable box, a couple players (BD + HDDVD), Apple TV, Sonos and NAS server, all with audio through a Yamaha RX-A3000 AVR, the Harmony is a breeze. Oh, and the Harmony controls my lights and bias lighting too.
I have a Pioneer SC-27 AVR and have the Multi-Room Remote device for it. For those that don't know, this add-on allows you to place a sensor in the "main room" and it carries the remote signals via wire to the receiver. So, I can provide all aspects of control of the AVR with its native remote even though the AVR is in a closet behind the wall where the TV is mounted.

Additionally, my SC-27 remote is fully programmable and I may just need to set up some "scenes" on it to pick the various inputs and such.
meburdick is offline  
post #764 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Member
 
jpfe8851's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I have a Pioneer SC-27 AVR and have the Multi-Room Remote device for it. For those that don't know, this add-on allows you to place a sensor in the "main room" and it carries the remote signals via wire to the receiver. So, I can provide all aspects of control of the AVR with its native remote even though the AVR is in a closet behind the wall where the TV is mounted.

Additionally, my SC-27 remote is fully programmable and I may just need to set up some "scenes" on it to pick the various inputs and such.
That should do it assuming it also controls your TV, X800 etc... Incidentally, the Harmony Elite I have is an RF unit that uses a hub plus 2 additional blasters to send the IR signals to devices inside closed units too. Your scenes you mentioned sound like the Harmony's activities.
jpfe8851 is offline  
post #765 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 10:30 AM
Member
 
defjamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
Any comparative reviews to OPPO UDP-203 ?

Sure, I had my 203 for about 45 days, it glitched on almost every UHD I put in (in some sort of way) and the tray would hang open requiring a reboot. So I sold it for a slight loss.

The 800 has played every UHD disc properly I put in it and the PQ is great. It also has streaming apps.
I know a lot of people had issues with their 203, but I magically lucked out and had absolutely no issues with mine. As far comparisons to the x800, I'd say they are very close picture quality wise. I'd give the slight edge to the 203, but only when comparing the 2 (along with the Sammy and penny uhd players) with the same movies/scenes. Not worth the premium for the 203 in my opinion, but I get to have both
aaronwt likes this.
defjamz is offline  
post #766 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 11:32 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,122
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9438 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
FAR simpler to just watch Netflix on the TV and skip it from the x800 altogether. Settings shouldn't need to be changed is that sort of manner. There should be an API exposed by the x800 and the apps should be able to communicate with it to send over information about the resolution.
I don't need to change anything with my X800. It works fine from the X800.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #767 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 11:34 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,122
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9438 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ham View Post
Be sure to set the audio on the X800 to 196KB, that allows Perfect streaming of the DTS-X and ATMOS audio tracks. Both are clearly identified on my Yamaha RX-V3050 AV Receiver.. When I use The Last Witch Hunter DTS-X audio test track, all my 11.1 speakers work as they should.. Not to mention the awesome sound the movie creates.. Be sure to set your AV Receiver to STRAIGHT MODE, at least that is what you do on the Yamaha for DTS-X and ATMOS... Just an FYI...
You mean 192Khz? That setting is for PCM output, not for bitstreaming. Bitstreaming is needed for Atmos/DTS-X.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #768 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
meburdick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,341
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I don't need to change anything with my X800. It works fine from the X800.
I don't "need" to change anything either. But, the apps output in full UHD, and that triggers unwanted things on my TV. You're likely using a different TV that doesn't behave the way mine does when it's being fed UHD signaling.
meburdick is offline  
post #769 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,122
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9438 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfe8851 View Post
Returning to your post... this issue would happen whatever 4K player you use if routing video and audio via two HDMI outputs.

This is occurring because you're using HDMI Control (CEC) which may be on by default. It means that when you turn on, for example, your player the TV turns on, your AVR turns on, the TV changes to the player's input and your AVR is being set to the input your TV uses for its audio output. The reason it's selecting the TVs toslink output is because you have the HDMI coming direct from the X800 so it "thinks" it's doing the right thing as is ignorant of your audio passing through your AVR. If you routed both audio and video via the AVR, it would select the correct inputs. But then of course there'd be no 4K. With CEC, I get exactly the same behaviour.

So, to fix this, you will have to forego CEC and turn off on all three devices. Of course you then lose having one remote (the TV normally) control all the devices. For me that was not a problem as I've been using a Harmony remote for years. As you control which inputs and what the buttons control via the Harmony app, this is far superior to CEC in my opinion. Whether this is seen as an advantage or a PITA to you is up to you. For me CEC is nice in simple setups but as I have a TV, cable box, a couple players (BD + HDDVD), Apple TV, Sonos and NAS server, all with audio through a Yamaha RX-A3000 AVR, the Harmony is a breeze. Oh, and the Harmony controls my lights and bias lighting too.
Yes. I've always had the same issue. And with the X800 I've had to turn HDMI-CEC off. Which sucks since with it on I could use my Sony Speaker Bar remote or my Sony TV remote to control the X800. But with HDMI-CEC(Bravia Sync) on, everytime I start an app in the X800 or go to a disc it will switch to the TV ARC input.

If my speaker bar had HDMI 2.0a, instead of HDMI 2.0, it wouldn't be an issue since I could connect the X800 to the speaker bar instead of directly to the TV. I'm hoping to pick up a newer Sony speaker bar later this year though.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-13-2017 at 11:48 AM.
aaronwt is online now  
post #770 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,122
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9438 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I don't "need" to change anything either. But, the apps output in full UHD, and that triggers unwanted things on my TV. You're likely using a different TV that doesn't behave the way mine does when it's being fed UHD signaling.
Yes. My X800 is paired with a Sony TV which does seem to have some advantages.

I definitely like the X800 better than my Sammy K8500. Although if I could change a couple of things with the X800, it would have a removable power cord and would have a second USB port on the back. And maybe it wouldn't have that wide front cover that comes down when the tray opens. But those things are minor issues.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #771 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
robert ham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You mean 192Khz? That setting is for PCM output, not for bitstreaming. Bitstreaming is needed for Atmos/DTS-X.
Correct, thanks for the revision..
robert ham is offline  
post #772 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Newbie
 
Flatypus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fairport, NY
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis52 View Post
I can confirm that there are occasional issues with automatically turning on HDR with at least one disc. I had a ticket open with Sony, and received a phone reply yesterday that engineers are aware of the problem and it might be fixed in a future update. In my case, it's only a problem when the disc is recorded in 4k/60p with HDR, and only when routed through my receiver.

Here's a summary of what I've found (note I also own the Samsung K8500 player):

1 - On my LG 65UH8500, with cables routed through my 4k/60p compatible Yamaha RX-A1060 AVR, all 4k/24p discs I've tried so far turn on HDR automatically and play fine. The same is true of the Samsung player.

2 - With a 4k/60p HDR disc (Billy Lynn's...), the Samsung will automatically enable HDR on the TV, and before the firmware update, the Sony X800 would not. Same cables. Could not even manually force HDR on the Sony, as it didn't even recognize HDR on the disc.

3- After the firmware update, the Sony now recognizes HDR on the disc, but shows in its display "HDR-SDR" and in the Options menu has the slider bar, as if it's sending an HDR signal to a non-HDR capable display. Color is more saturated, but not true HDR. The Samsung player, same cables, same AVR, works fine.

4- Tried connecting the x800 directly to the TV input, not going through the receiver, and the disc now plays correctly. I would attribute this to the cables, but they are certified 18gb, and again, the Samsung player works correctly through the receiver.

So, the problem seems to be some incompatibility between the Sony at 4k/60p and the Yamaha AVR. I will keep the x800, as everything else about it is better than the Samsung: quiet, smooth disc operation, SACD and DVD-Audio compatibility, handles hi-res DNLA files from my music server well. Streaming will get there with future updates, but I use the LG TV apps for streaming anyway.

I have ordered new certified cables just in case there's something wrong with the current ones, and will again try going through the AVR when I receive them.
Thanks for the information. I just picked up the UBP-X800 this weekend at BesBuy. I have a 65" Samsung KS8000 and a Yamaha RX-A750. I was using an Xbox One S in HDR mode with full 4K/HDR compatibility for months. I only bought the UBP-X800 due to the excellent reviews, and some references to it offering a viewing experience compared to the Xbox One S for UHD Blu-Rays.

Of course when I came home and swapped the Xbox One S with the UBP-X800, I was confused as to why I had no video but could hear audio. I was using the same HDMI cables that were working with the Xbox One S w/ 4K & HDR. I remembered having to change the HDMI mode on my Yamaha AVR from "Mode 2" (outputs 4K at 4:2:0) to "Mode 1" (Outputs in 4:4:4, 4:2:2, or 4:2:0) to get HDR working on the Xbox One S and I confirmed the setting was still correctly set, yet I still got no video when Samsung's "Deep Color" option was enabled. It's my understanding the "Deep Color" is required for HDR support, so simply disabling it wasn't an option for me. I ended up temporarily plugging the UBP-X800 directly into the TV (bypassing the AVR for video) as a workaround. However, this isn't a good long-term solution as everything is in a Media closet about 25 feet from the TV, so I prefer to keep everything in that closet and pipe it using the 18.2Gbps certified HDMI cable output between the AVR and the TV.

Long story short, it sounds like there's a common theme here with Yamaha AVRs and the Sony UBP-X800. The only difference is that I couldn't even display the menus when routed through the receiver with Samsung Deep Color / UHD Color setting enabled. Hopefully this gets fixed soon, as my fiancee and I both noticed a significant improvement when switching to the Sony for both 1080P and UHD Blu-Ray content, plus the sounds seems a lot fuller.
Flatypus is offline  
post #773 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dpippel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Posts: 1,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Are you sure you didn't have your cable plugged into the X800's HDMI *Audio Out* (Out 2) instead of the main HDMI video+audio output (Out 1) when you were getting no video? Stranger things have happened.

______________
LG OLED65E6P | Yamaha RX-A2080 | Oppo UDP-203 | Panasonic DP-UB820
My Media Collection
dpippel is offline  
post #774 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Newbie
 
Flatypus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Fairport, NY
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post
Are you sure you didn't have your cable plugged into the X800's HDMI *Audio Out* (Out 2) instead of the main HDMI video+audio output (Out 1) when you were getting no video? Stranger things have happened.
Yep, it was covered with orange tape and as I mentionned, the issue only occured when routing through the AVR with "Deep Color" enabled. Disabling that isn't a good fix since it effectively disables HDR support (to my knowledge).
Flatypus is offline  
post #775 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Member
 
seainc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The X800 built-in NETFLIX app not supporting UHD yet, correct?
seainc is offline  
post #776 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
The X800 built-in NETFLIX app not supporting UHD yet, correct?
Amazon and Netflix both do UHD, just no HDR on Amazon yet.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #777 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Member
 
seainc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
That's interesting, I can't​ see UHD title only HD but NETFLIX app on my Sony X850D TV I can see UHD title. Do I need to enable something in setting?
Amazon app I can see UHD titles. Thanks
seainc is offline  
post #778 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Otis52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatypus View Post
Long story short, it sounds like there's a common theme here with Yamaha AVRs and the Sony UBP-X800. The only difference is that I couldn't even display the menus when routed through the receiver with Samsung Deep Color / UHD Color setting enabled. Hopefully this gets fixed soon, as my fiancee and I both noticed a significant improvement when switching to the Sony for both 1080P and UHD Blu-Ray content, plus the sounds seems a lot fuller.
I have a similar setting which enables HDR capability on my LG display. But since switching the Yamaha RX-A1060 from HDMI mode 2 to mode 1, I have had no problem passing HDR through the Yamaha.

Prior to the firmware update, the X800 would not pass 4k/60p HDR at all for me; it was fine with 4k/24p. After the update, everything works fine. I assume you have updated the X800 firmware, so the only other suggestion would be to try turning off deep color in the X800 itself; as far as I know, it's not needed for HDR. I also have the X800's YCbG/RGB setting forced to YCbCR(4:4:4) instead of Auto, but again, I'm not sure this has any effect.

Also, at least on my LG, the Deep Color/Enhanced HDMI setting is set individually for each HDMI port on the TV - don't know if this is true for your Samsung, but if so, is is possible that you don't have it enabled for the specific port connected from the Yamaha to the Samsung?

Hope you get this worked out, as I continue to find the X800 to be an outstanding player.
Otis52 is offline  
post #779 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Member
 
Onedark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ham View Post
Correct, thanks for the revision..


So changing to 192 is not required for Atmos/DTS-X? If so, what is the process for the bitstreaming to enable the DTS/Atmos?
Thanks in advance...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Onedark1 is offline  
post #780 of 9894 Old 03-13-2017, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mzupeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
That's interesting, I can't​ see UHD title only HD but NETFLIX app on my Sony X850D TV I can see UHD title. Do I need to enable something in setting?
Amazon app I can see UHD titles. Thanks
You have to pay more money for UHD. Are you paying for the $15 plan?

EDIT: Nevermind, misread your post.
mzupeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off