OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25395Likes

post #7861 of 9847 Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I've had mine since Black Friday. I use it as a disc player only, no streaming. I'm hooked up by a single HDMI cable out into my A/V receiver and quick start is set to off and pretty much everything else is set to auto. I do not have a 4K display, I'm running to a 65" Panasonic V series plasma. It has played everything that I have thrown at it flawlessly with no freeze ups or stutters during playback.
Scarriere likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 9847 Old 04-14-2018, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Anyone still having issues with their device freezing up during playback?
UHD, BR, and DVD playback all work for me without any problems. I did have a very brief pause during Star Wars 8 UHD, but it very quickly recovered. For all I know, one of the kids sat on the remote. All other movies I have tried thus far have worked without issue. I am very impressed both with BR and DVD upconverting, watching LotR extended edition on DVD looks great on his player, you would never know it was a DVD source.

Netflix is another issue altogether. I have yet to make it all the way through a 4K movie. The player freezes somewhere in the middle, and buttons are no longer responsive. Holding down POWER will eventually turn it off after a 30 second wait or so. The movies all played to the end after a reboot. I tried initially with Ethernet, but have moved to Wifi. Same issue. I am now trying to turn off various options, such as checking for new firmware and other network menu options that may cause the player network issues, interrupting the stream.
WynsWrld98 likes this.
post #7863 of 9847 Old 04-14-2018, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
I've had mine since Black Friday. I use it as a disc player only, no streaming. I'm hooked up by a single HDMI cable out into my A/V receiver and quick start is set to off and pretty much everything else is set to auto. I do not have a 4K display, I'm running to a 65" Panasonic V series plasma. It has played everything that I have thrown at it flawlessly with no freeze ups or stutters during playback.
I've had one since early Jan 18. I have watched a number of UHD/BR disks with no issues whatsoever. No rentals. Yesterday I installed Serviio on my Win10 box server box to test in lieu of Plex and use the X800 DNLA client. Quick testing seems to indicate it will be much more reliable in providing DTS-HD MA that with Plex server/X800 client. Plex was giving me DTS MA about 30-50% of time. If this pans out long term it may be worth ripping more BR disks. I have Denon 2300W receiver so everything goes thru it. I am continually searching best for best video/audio combo. Still may have to try ATV4 for streaming. I still prefer disks for movies. No hassles. Atmos not an issue at present.

Display: Vizio M55D0
Sources: Roku Premiere+, Google Fiber TV, Denon DVD-2500BTCI, Sony UBP-X800, Toshiba HD-A35, Sony CDP-222ES
Audio: 7CH system, Denon AVR-2300W, NorthCreekMusic Rhythm L/R/C, Paradigm dipole surrounds, NCM back surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7864 of 9847 Old 04-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskateaudiophile View Post
I've had one since early Jan 18. I have watched a number of UHD/BR disks with no issues whatsoever. No rentals. Yesterday I installed Serviio on my Win10 box server box to test in lieu of Plex and use the X800 DNLA client. Quick testing seems to indicate it will be much more reliable in providing DTS-HD MA that with Plex server/X800 client. Plex was giving me DTS MA about 30-50% of time. If this pans out long term it may be worth ripping more BR disks. I have Denon 2300W receiver so everything goes thru it. I am continually searching best for best video/audio combo. Still may have to try ATV4 for streaming. I still prefer disks for movies. No hassles. Atmos not an issue at present.
I got mine specifically for Atmos and DTS: X because the studios decided that they would only put the immersive soundtracks on the UHD discs. It works great. No lock ups with any UHD, BD, or DVD. I do have it hooked up to the internet and my network by a wired connection through a gigabit switch but I don't want to open the can of worms that is streaming with this player. I have other components that will stream whatever service I need. As far as a disc player, this one has been great for me. Now that I've said that (knocking furiously on wood) I don't want to jinx it.
Scarriere likes this.
post #7865 of 9847 Old 04-15-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I got mine specifically for Atmos and DTS: X because the studios decided that they would only put the immersive soundtracks on the UHD discs. It works great. No lock ups with any UHD, BD, or DVD. I do have it hooked up to the internet and my network by a wired connection through a gigabit switch but I don't want to open the can of worms that is streaming with this player. I have other components that will stream whatever service I need. As far as a disc player, this one has been great for me. Now that I've said that (knocking furiously on wood) I don't want to jinx it.
That is pretty well my experience in a nutshell, all discs play without issue. I am trying to solve the Netflix streaming hangs, but only out of interest. Netflix streamed directly through the app on the TV works perfectly, so I don't really need it to work via the X800. But I can't help wondering what could possibly be causing the hangs, so I keep testing turning off various networking options.

Last comment : upconverting on the X800 is very impressive, BRs look like UHD, DVDs look like BRs.
BrianPK likes this.
post #7866 of 9847 Old 04-15-2018, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete999Tete View Post

Last comment : upconverting on the X800 is very impressive, BRs look like UHD, DVDs look like BRs.
Absolutely.
I have a huge collection of the failed HD dvd format which looked great on my old 52” tv but simply can’t compare to my current upscaled BDs.I am now in the slow process of replacing my favourites to BD as the upscaling of my current BDs is simply outstanding when using my x800 and viewing on my Sony 65 XBR 930E tv.
post #7867 of 9847 Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Add me to the list of satisfied customers. Have had mine since April of last year. Froze once during playback of John Wick 2 - never happened again. YouTube stopped working last month - reset to factory default settings and no more problem. I play UHD, Bluray, DVD, rented Redbox Blurays, CDs, stream Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube. If it dies in the near future would definitely buy another.
post #7868 of 9847 Old 04-15-2018, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Well, I thought I was done with the freezing, but it happened again last night. It froze up on the second episode of disc 2 of Outlander on Blu-ray, which is a Sony Pictures release and brand new as of this past Tuesday. I waited for it to recover and it finally rebooted itself after about 3 minutes. I was then able to restart the episode and navigate to just before the freeze-up location. It then played fine. This is typically my experience when lock-ups occur.

Prior to this freeze, I had been able to watch a few discs without a problem, including Jumanji in 4k and Tropic Thunder on standard Blu-ray. My player is connected to the internet via a network cable connected to a switch and then to the Xfinity Gigabit router. I will disconnect the x800 from the internet for now since I don't use this as a streaming device. I will see if this has any affect on the freezing.

This device just confuses me. Sometimes it works great, and sometimes it just frustrates me with these unpredictable freezes. I will eventually replace it when prices drop a bit on these 4k players.
post #7869 of 9847 Old 04-15-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoates View Post
Prior to this freeze, I had been able to watch a few discs without a problem, including Jumanji in 4k and Tropic Thunder on standard Blu-ray. My player is connected to the internet via a network cable connected to a switch and then to the Xfinity Gigabit router. I will disconnect the x800 from the internet for now since I don't use this as a streaming device. I will see if this has any affect on the freezing.
Purely anecdotal, but I haven't experienced a freeze since I turned off "Remote Start" and "Auto Home Network Access Permission" from the Network Settings, and "Software Update Notification" from System Settings. Of course, I could experience another freeze tonight, but my current theory is that something unrelated to playback kicks off causing the processor to lock up until the situation is resolved (via a restart). By turning off any options which would tell the player to listen on a network port, or contact a remote server, I am hoping I will avoid further freezes. You may want to give that a try instead of disconnecting the internet, at least it would move my sample-size to 2. :-)
post #7870 of 9847 Old 04-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Purely anecdotal, but I haven't experienced a freeze since I turned off "Remote Start" and "Auto Home Network Access Permission" from the Network Settings, and "Software Update Notification" from System Settings. Of course, I could experience another freeze tonight, but my current theory is that something unrelated to playback kicks off causing the processor to lock up until the situation is resolved (via a restart). By turning off any options which would tell the player to listen on a network port, or contact a remote server, I am hoping I will avoid further freezes. You may want to give that a try instead of disconnecting the internet, at least it would move my sample-size to 2. :-)
I will give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #7871 of 9847 Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to bernievink
Quote:
I am also trying these setting to see if it improves stability in my player.

Samsung UA60KU6000WXXY TV, Sony STR#dh770 Receiver with wall, ceiling, and floor mounted 7.1 Sony Speaker system, Sony UBP-X800 Ultra HD Blu-ray™/DVD Player
post #7872 of 9847 Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I recently purchased a UBP-X800. Set up was fine. Hooked up no problem. TV shows 4k resolution when I hit the display button. But as soon as I put in a disk I get 1920x1080?? TV is a Sharp 60K5510UWG. The 3 disc I tried were the new Star Wars, Jumanji, and the new Kingsman if that makes a difference. The player and the TV are not connected to any kind of network. Help?
post #7873 of 9847 Old 04-16-2018, 05:30 PM

Liked: 142
I will test it as well.

Spoiler!
post #7874 of 9847 Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there a way to enable a "Resume Playback" on video files from a hard drive. Roku has that feature. I hate having to fast forward to the spot where I left off.

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
post #7875 of 9847 Old 04-17-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
Is there a way to enable a "Resume Playback" on video files from a hard drive. Roku has that feature. I hate having to fast forward to the spot where I left off.
I haven't tried that feature yet, I assume you mean a mobile hard drive powered via the USB port? If that is the case, the manual does indicate that "resume points may be cleared from memory when you disconnect the USB device". If you are plugging / unplugging that drive, that may be the reason.
post #7876 of 9847 Old 04-17-2018, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust View Post
I recently purchased a UBP-X800. Set up was fine. Hooked up no problem. TV shows 4k resolution when I hit the display button. But as soon as I put in a disk I get 1920x1080?? TV is a Sharp 60K5510UWG. The 3 disc I tried were the new Star Wars, Jumanji, and the new Kingsman if that makes a difference. The player and the TV are not connected to any kind of network. Help?
Did you by any chance play the BD disc? The UHD disc is usually hidden under a piece of paper on the left side of the case...
post #7877 of 9847 Old 04-17-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't think so. 2 of the movies were rentals and it says 4k on the cover and the disc.
post #7878 of 9847 Old 04-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience View Post
Anyone still having issues with their device freezing up during playback?
Sony support had me do a reset a few months ago and I haven't had a single issue since.

Denon AVR-X6300H, LG OLED55B7A, Sony UPB-X1100ES, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Roamio OTA, Panasonic DMR-ES46V, Proscan PSLD-43, Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB
Klipsch R-820f fronts, C-2 center, R-620 surrounds and F-2 back, Quintet V for Atmos, Monoprice Monolith 10", Velodyne VRP-10
post #7879 of 9847 Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9309 Post(s)
Liked: 5996
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersa View Post
Did you by any chance play the BD disc? The UHD disc is usually hidden under a piece of paper on the left side of the case...
It's actually the opposite. A minority of UHD titles are hidden under that insert. While the majority are on the right side of the case.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7880 of 9847 Old 04-17-2018, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Does your TV have any type of "enhanced settings" in it's menu? Try a different HDMI cable yet?
post #7881 of 9847 Old 04-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Same here, running mine with a VT60 for the enhanced audio. I won't have Atmos until a speaker upgrade later this summer but at least I can count on DTS:X for a bit. I was also upgrading a 9 year old Sony blu-ray player so figured I might as well get something that would play 4K for the eventual upgrade to the TV. That was before I even realized that most of the Atmos and DTS:X tracks were only being put on 4K discs. Once I learned about that and that I could play them downscaled to 1080p it became a no-brainer.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
post #7882 of 9847 Old 04-17-2018, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Whew what a process and nightmare it is dealing with Sony service regarding the replacement of my X800.
I started the process on 4-9 and after many times on hold, explaining, complaining, etc. finally get them to replace it. I had to give them a credit card number to assure them I send my faulty device back to them.

I get an email from Sony with an RMA label. I look at the label and see the return address, mine, has a different town than the one I gave the person....sigh
Another call on Monday to sort it out and sure enough the mailing address is the wrong city...and I spelled it for him...not even close to the town I live in...sigh again.

Speaking to this rep and he tells me I haven't "verified" the return...What the hell does that mean??? He tells me I have to send them a copy of the receipt...no one told me about that the first time I called...
He immediately emailed me a link to send the receipt, which I did and he acknowledged as well.
He tells me we are all set and I end the call.

I get a phone message a few minutes later from him telling me I have to call them back and give them the credit card number again because this is a new return as he cancelled the previous one because of the wrong town...sigh harder

Another 30 minutes bouncing around on hold and rep to rep finally told the office I'm dealing with is closed and call tomorrow....argh

Called at 9:15AM today and after a brief hold I get another person with an accent, as the previous had, I can barely understand and he can't seem to understand me much better. Finally he understands what is going on...reading my case history, etc...and I give him the credit card number again. This person, they were really all very courteous and nice, tells me this is being expedited because of the trouble they have caused and it will be shipped within 3-5 days and he'll email me the info with a tracking number.

I'd like to say whew but will wait a few days.

I suspect at this point this may be the last Sony product I ever buy. I've had far less problems with other companies regarding warranty issues usually they are handled quickly. At least the people I dealt with were nice people and were patient as well as sound genuinely desirous to be helpful...sighing a bit less but still...sigh

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #7883 of 9847 Old 04-18-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still can't get 4k on my Sharp TV. I am playing the right disc, I have double checked. Sony X800 hooked on HDMI 1 output directly to TV. HDMI2 hooked to Yamaha Receiver audio only. Turn Sony on, hit display button on remote shows 4k. Put a disk in, hit display shows 1080p.. What is going on??
post #7884 of 9847 Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Still can't get 4k on my Sharp TV. I am playing the right disc, I have double checked. Sony X800 hooked on HDMI 1 output directly to TV. HDMI2 hooked to Yamaha Receiver audio only. Turn Sony on, hit display button on remote shows 4k. Put a disk in, hit display shows 1080p.. What is going on??
That's very strange. Maybe take pics of menu settings of the x800. Something must be off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #7885 of 9847 Old 04-18-2018, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Is it a 4K disc?
I would disconnect the X800 from the Yamaha and just have the HDMI 1 connected to the TV. See if it works correctly with that. If it does work correctly, then you k is connecting it to the Yamaha is somehow messing it up.

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
post #7886 of 9847 Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 PM

Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonok View Post
Sony support had me do a reset a few months ago and I haven't had a single issue since.
Thank you for your support.

Spoiler!
post #7887 of 9847 Old 04-19-2018, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 158
A recent update to the Netflix app seems to have brought back DD+. Yay!

Can anyone else confirm?

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #7888 of 9847 Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
That's very strange. Maybe take pics of menu settings of the x800. Something must be off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yeah, post your video related settings on your X800. Or reset to factory settings and go through the setup again.
Maybe your TV doesn't do 24p at 4k? Got a link to the manual for your TV?
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #7889 of 9847 Old 04-19-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
A recent update to the Netflix app seems to have brought back DD+. Yay!

Can anyone else confirm?
Not seeing it on my end. But I have never seen the Netflix app output DD+. I have only seen it converted it to high bit rate DD.
post #7890 of 9847 Old 04-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Red face Happy UBP-X800 Owner

I am one of those rare birds that bought 3 of these Sony players. One is a regular US model and the other 2 are multi-region players.

I have never had an issue with either the 4K or Blu-ray playback or streaming. They all work flawlessly!
aaronwt, bradman, bguzman and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page