OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 265 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25395Likes

post #7921 of 9836 Old 04-23-2018, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit View Post
I am getting really bad "snow" or extra pixels that look like snow on every single HDR disc I have. I have switched cables and inputs, no change.
Running to a 930e TV.
Just a bad unit? I searched this thread for but didn't quite find what I was looking for.
Are you using certified high speed (18Gbps) HDMI cables?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 9836 Old 04-23-2018, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
So the question is, is it ALL of these settings? Did you try one at a time and see if that fixes it? Are you issues just streaming or is it discs as well? In my case, I haven't had issues with streaming (but I rarely use the unit for streaming as I have other options), but with discs just quitting, going to a black screen and then back to the main menu and having to go back to the disc to play (lucky has auto resume). I watched the latest Star Wars over the weekend and it did this no less than 4 times. I'm ready to call Sony, but if i can avoid that and have other ways to fix, I'm all ears.
The intelligent troubleshooting tactic would have been; make a single change, sit back and wait to see what happens. If the issue still occurs, revert that change and make another. But instead of doing that, I evaluated what I thought would cause network events, and turned off those features all at the same time. I have not yet had a problem playing discs, I only had the freeze streaming.

I watched the latest Start Wars UHD disc, it played the entire movie without issue. I've watched some upconverted Bluray as well, no problems. Again, it is purely anecdotal, but I have not had a single freeze since making those changes whereas I had one every night prior.
deano86 likes this.
post #7923 of 9836 Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
Are you using certified high speed (18Gbps) HDMI cables?
Yes, three different kinds. Monoprice,rocketfish and an offbrand from amazon.

I did a factory reset last night, no difference. I am so bummed.

7 cycle gas dryer and a 12 speed blender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7924 of 9836 Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdori View Post
I want to use my Sony Blu-ray Player x800 to cast Tidal from app on Android phone. But it does not appear on casting options from tidal app on Android. Sony documentation says that this Blu-ray Player supports Chromecast. Is there any way to cast Tidal to ubp-x800. Thanks in advance.
I probably shouldn't answer this, I do not have Tidal so I can't test it out. However, the X800 supports Miracast, and I don't believe it supports Chromecast. I've got the manual right in front of me, there is no mention at all of Chromecast but there is an explanation of how to Miracast.
post #7925 of 9836 Old 04-23-2018, 09:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete999Tete View Post
I probably shouldn't answer this, I do not have Tidal so I can't test it out. However, the X800 supports Miracast, and I don't believe it supports Chromecast. I've got the manual right in front of me, there is no mention at all of Chromecast but there is an explanation of how to Miracast.
Thx for your response. I found that you are right. In any case, I traced the problem I had, to a bad HDMI cable. Works flawlessly with a different cable.
post #7926 of 9836 Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit View Post
Yes, three different kinds. Monoprice,rocketfish and an offbrand from amazon.

I did a factory reset last night, no difference. I am so bummed.
So this only occurs if you stream through Vudu? If you hook the X800 directly to the TV and remove Vudu entirely from the picture, do the BRs play properly? I am not familiar with Vudu because I live in Canada and it is not available here, but if I understand it correctly, you scan your barcode proving you own the BR, but then it is actually streamed from Vudu ?
post #7927 of 9836 Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
The intelligent troubleshooting tactic would have been; make a single change, sit back and wait to see what happens. If the issue still occurs, revert that change and make another. But instead of doing that, I evaluated what I thought would cause network events, and turned off those features all at the same time. I have not yet had a problem playing discs, I only had the freeze streaming.

I watched the latest Start Wars UHD disc, it played the entire movie without issue. I've watched some upconverted Bluray as well, no problems. Again, it is purely anecdotal, but I have not had a single freeze since making those changes whereas I had one every night prior.
Thanks for the update. Since it's a disc issue not sure if it network events would have any effect on it. I'm having this issue not just on UHD, but also BD and DVD (I don't think I've had it on a music CD, but I don't play too many of those these days. It's frustrating not being able to watch a movie straight though. Maybe I'll try the reset and see how that goes.

Steve
post #7928 of 9836 Old 04-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
So this only occurs if you stream through Vudu? If you hook the X800 directly to the TV and remove Vudu entirely from the picture, do the BRs play properly? I am not familiar with Vudu because I live in Canada and it is not available here, but if I understand it correctly, you scan your barcode proving you own the BR, but then it is actually streamed from Vudu ?
No, all BR content it seems. If I play a UHD BR on my player, Shield, or TV apps it does it.

7 cycle gas dryer and a 12 speed blender
post #7929 of 9836 Old 04-24-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveknj View Post
So the question is, is it ALL of these settings? Did you try one at a time and see if that fixes it? Are you issues just streaming or is it discs as well? In my case, I haven't had issues with streaming (but I rarely use the unit for streaming as I have other options), but with discs just quitting, going to a black screen and then back to the main menu and having to go back to the disc to play (lucky has auto resume). I watched the latest Star Wars over the weekend and it did this no less than 4 times. I'm ready to call Sony, but if i can avoid that and have other ways to fix, I'm all ears.
Don't wait. I called Sony and received a brand new unit and it works perfectly. I really like this player a lot and didn't want a different model because of the high res audio.
bradman likes this.

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch RB81II (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB61II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1227096
post #7930 of 9836 Old 04-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post
Don't wait. I called Sony and received a brand new unit and it works perfectly. I really like this player a lot and didn't want a different model because of the high res audio.
I had an 800 completely brick, as in nothing but the Sony logo onscreen, called them, went through the rig a ma roe with resetting and other "tricks"(all of which I'd already tried) and in the end, they sent me a new machine. It took three weeks, but the new(as of early 2017)unit has had no hiccups since I put it in the rack.
As of a month ago, it is relegated to back-up player and app machine as I now use the Oppo 203 as my main player.

Vizio P75-F1, Denon AVR X4300H 7.1.4, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB820
Atlantic Technology THX speakers: System 20 LCR, System 20 SR,
IW-155SR's, IC-6 OBA, 272 PBM Sub, Kordz and PixelGen cables
post #7931 of 9836 Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'll give them a call over the weekend. Going to try reset first, so at least I can say I did it already when I call them

I really like the machine and have had various other Sonys which always seemed the best of the players I've tried (never tried an Oppo, but just can't justify double the price for what I use it for.)
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Steve
post #7932 of 9836 Old 04-26-2018, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi,

I have just bought this player this week. Even I do not own a 4K TV, I have a Pioneer Kuro ( and I think it still looks fantastic after all these years ) it still looks very good with Blu Rays and mkv files ( considerably better than through my PC ) and I also think that 4K Videos ( even HDR ones ) look great on my Kuro even if they are downscaled to 2K and SDR.

I have a question though:

I do not own a modern amp but an older Pioneer Amp that was manufactured in 1998. It has both Dolby Digital and dts. Therefore I was very pleasantly surprised that I got Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on my old amp using the Digital Coax audio input instead of HDMI as the amp does not support HDMI ( of course ).
My question is:

Is it normal that the sound on Netflix is Dolby Digital and not Dolby Digital Plus ? I have read that even via HDMI the sound is Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. Is that correct ? Why ? I thought that Netflix was Dolby Digital Plus only ? I guess I won't get Dolby Digital sound on the Amazon Prime app, correct ?

I just dont understand it.

Oh, and I hope this player will get a Tidal app. How can you release a hi res player without a tidal app ? Spotify is considerably worse.
post #7933 of 9836 Old 04-26-2018, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confederate View Post

Is it normal that the sound on Netflix is Dolby Digital and not Dolby Digital Plus ? I have read that even via HDMI the sound is Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. Is that correct ? Why ? I thought that Netflix was Dolby Digital Plus only ? I guess I won't get Dolby Digital sound on the Amazon Prime app, correct ?
Netflix is only DD5.1, not DD+, on this device. This is discussed earlier in this forum.
post #7934 of 9836 Old 04-26-2018, 06:32 AM

Yes, PJL99. But can you tell me why ? Doesn't Netflix use Dolby Digital Plus only ?
post #7935 of 9836 Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 4545
Quote:
Yes, PJL99. But can you tell me why ? Doesn't Netflix use Dolby Digital Plus only ?

Dolby sound is backwards compatible. For whatever reason the app on this player doesn’t do DD+.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #7936 of 9836 Old 04-26-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Dolby sound is backwards compatible. For whatever reason the app on this player doesn’t do DD+.
Dolby Digital Plus is backwards compatible ? For real ?
post #7937 of 9836 Old 04-26-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 4545
Quote:
Dolby Digital Plus is backwards compatible ? For real ?

What I mean is Dolby audio will always be output to the highest standard supported by the equipment. You can play a Dolby digital soundtrack and get stereo for example.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #7938 of 9836 Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I've got a question re. using the HDMI CEC feature with my 800. I forget what it's named on my Epson 5040 and Onkyo receiver but it's turned on in each machine and I can't control the player with my Epson remote. It did work for a short time but not now. Dunno what I need to do or what sequence might be required to get it working again. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ed
post #7939 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
On only one occasion did I not get that message...when the player was new last fall and I updated for the 1st time. Every time that I have checked thereafter shows that error. Of course, there has not been an update, but you would expect a message saying you are up to date rather than saying that it is a bad connection.

My guess? Its a bug in the player. It should report that you are up to date but it incorrectly says that there is a connection error.

As other reported, the Apps all update without issue so there is no network problem.
Regarding error messages while checking for updates.....

FWIW, this morning for the first time in weeks, I checked for an update, and much to my surprise, I got an “already up to date” message. I was again expecting to get the connection error message. No clue if Sony fixed something on their end, or if something with my home network changed.
post #7940 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I thought I’d share my experience with my x-800. When I purchased it worked great for a few days and then started locking up and freezing all the time. It didn’t matter if it was disc or streaming. I tried everything, settings, factory reset... In the end I returned and got a different one. The new one that I’ve had about 5 months now sees about 3-4 hours each day of use. It is my only source to my TV and I use it to stream Netflix, Prime and I watch a lot of physical content. Its been flawless. I am very happy. The presentation of 1080p discs has been better on my 1080p tv than it was on my oppo 105.

Recently I finally got a Sony XBR65x930e. I am extremely happy and am having zero problems with anything through the x-800.

I am connected HDMI out to Marantz 6011 out to TV HDMI in. I’m using ARC for antenna audio back to the Marantz and I’m using the auto turn on and off of all three pieces of equipment through the Sony TV remote.

My 800-x is set to bitstream only to the Marantz... I have noticed that Netflix even when bitstreaming, is only winding up to being Dolby Digital but not +? That might at this point be a Marantz setting I haven’t messed with yet. I have a 6.1.4 set up.

LCR, L surround, R surround and 1x rear with four in-ceiling speakers.

Last edited by funky54; 04-27-2018 at 07:04 AM.
post #7941 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

FWIW, this morning for the first time in weeks, I checked for an update, and much to my surprise, I got an “already up to date” message. I was again expecting to get the connection error message. No clue if Sony fixed something on their end, or if something with my home network changed.
When I first got my X800, a very early one, it would return error messages every time I manually checked for updates. I moved a few months ago and have a different ISP and now it returns "already up to date" every time. Obviously I don't need to check this but curiosity gets the better of me.
BGLeduc likes this.
post #7942 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I'm currently having issues with my player where it's not playing videos in HDR for the YouTube app. It plays in HDR with UHD disks, but just not for the app. I could've sworn it had that ability before. I have it connected to a Vizio p50-c1.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #7943 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky54 View Post
My 800-x is set to bitstream only to the Marantz... I have noticed that Netflix even when bitstreaming, is only winding up to being Dolby Digital but not +? That might at this point be a Marantz setting I haven’t messed with yet. I have a 6.1.4 set up.
Netflix on the X800 is Dolby Digital. Not Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirgeExtinction View Post
So I'm currently having issues with my player where it's not playing videos in HDR for the YouTube app. It plays in HDR with UHD disks, but just not for the app. I could've sworn it had that ability before. I have it connected to a Vizio p50-c1.

I have seen this too. A lot of stuff on youtube is marked as HDR but when playing it you find it's not. Are you certain the content is in fact HDR?
post #7944 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post

I have seen this too. A lot of stuff on youtube is marked as HDR but when playing it you find it's not. Are you certain the content is in fact HDR?
I'm sure since even the HDR playlist made by YouTube/Google isn't playing in HDR.

post #7945 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
For info, a little while ago, I found this response to that question on a German Sony forum :

"The Netflix app in UBP-X800 currently doesn't support the bitstream output of Dolby Digital plus (DD+) encoded signals. In fact the app is converting the DD+ back to DD at high bitrate so in terms of quality you don’t loose much information but you will loose extra metadata e.g. for Dolby Atmos. So if the original content is just 5.1, the difference in sound quality won’t be noticeable but if the content is Atmos encoded, you won’t be able to get the Atmos metadata stream."
post #7946 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I just recently purchased the Sony UBP-X800 to replace a Sony BDP-790 which also has the dual HDMI outputs and is known for freezing up for no apparent reason so I hope this new model, despite what I have read in this forum from some users, is going to be better.

When I first connected it about a week ago, it also had the "already updated" message for the firmware.
post #7947 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
I've got a question re. using the HDMI CEC feature with my 800. I forget what it's named on my Epson 5040 and Onkyo receiver but it's turned on in each machine and I can't control the player with my Epson remote. It did work for a short time but not now. Dunno what I need to do or what sequence might be required to get it working again. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ed
Bump!
post #7948 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
For info, a little while ago, I found this response to that question on a German Sony forum :

"The Netflix app in UBP-X800 currently doesn't support the bitstream output of Dolby Digital plus (DD+) encoded signals. In fact the app is converting the DD+ back to DD at high bitrate so in terms of quality you don’t loose much information but you will loose extra metadata e.g. for Dolby Atmos. So if the original content is just 5.1, the difference in sound quality won’t be noticeable but if the content is Atmos encoded, you won’t be able to get the Atmos metadata stream."
I'm curious now if I use the app in the Sony x930e tv for Netflix if it can get to my Marantz through arc and give me atmos? Maybe try that when I get home. At that point I'll just leave the x800 off altogether
post #7949 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Purely anecdotal, but I haven't experienced a freeze since I turned off "Remote Start" and "Auto Home Network Access Permission" from the Network Settings, and "Software Update Notification" from System Settings. Of course, I could experience another freeze tonight, but my current theory is that something unrelated to playback kicks off causing the processor to lock up until the situation is resolved (via a restart). By turning off any options which would tell the player to listen on a network port, or contact a remote server, I am hoping I will avoid further freezes. You may want to give that a try instead of disconnecting the internet, at least it would move my sample-size to 2. :-)
This is an interesting theory. Since I do not really need any of those settings turned on for the way I use my X-800, I went ahead and turned all three settings off. Unfortunately, my player has only froze 6-7 times (and only playing UHD discs) since I got my replacement unit from Sony last July, so it may be quite awhile before I know if this fixes my very sporadic issue.
post #7950 of 9836 Old 04-27-2018, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New owner here of the x-800 (as well as brand new Sony 900e TV). I have my X-800 hooked up:

HDMI 1 - To the Sony 900e TV
HDMI 2 - To my Pioneer SC-27 receiver.

Playing a 4K disc, everything is great - picture and Dolby Surround both work great.

From the TV purchase I got my 4 free 4K movies on Google Play. My TV is hooked up via Optical cable to my Pioneer. For the Netflix App on the TV this works great - I get surround. Picked up my 4 free Google Play 4K movies for buying the TV. Found that when I played them in the Google play TV app, I only get Stereo, as that app can't send Dolby Digital+ over Optical.

Found from reading in this forum that the Youtube App on the X-800 can play Google Play movies. I figured that would be my answer, since it has dual HDMI and can sent proper video to TV and audio to receiver. Logged into Youtube app - found my movies showed up. But when I play them I still only see stereo on the SC-27. What am I missing? Is there a setting on the X-800 I need to tweak to get it to output Dolby Digital?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page