OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 267 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25396Likes

post #7981 of 9848 Old 05-10-2018, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
Mine is HDCP capable. It is an AVR-X4200 which is a generation newer than your 5200 and capable of full 4K pass through.
Makes sense then... the handshake with your Denon satisfies the 800 enough to not display the message...even with your 1080p display....whereas mine does not..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7982 of 9848 Old 05-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there anything special I need to change in settings for audio so my receiver does the work for decoding. I can't get it to show dolby hd or Atmos even though my receiver decodes it. I'm running with a 7.1 system if that helps.
post #7983 of 9848 Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Breckenridge View Post
Is there anything special I need to change in settings for audio so my receiver does the work for decoding. I can't get it to show dolby hd or Atmos even though my receiver decodes it. I'm running with a 7.1 system if that helps.
Yes! You need to go into Audio settings and turn BD audio OFF (the default is ON). Then you can enjoy Atmos. Been there, done that!

Ed
Magellan55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7984 of 9848 Old 05-13-2018, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Bladerunner 2049 Blu-ray Disc working for anyone? I tried it last night and my X800 doesn’t do anything. When I try to play it, it says “No disc found.”

But when I try to open an app like Netflix or Vudu, it says that it can’t because it’s in trying to read from disc.

Anyone experiencing this with this or other discs?

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #7985 of 9848 Old 05-13-2018, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1713 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
Bladerunner 2049 Blu-ray Disc working for anyone? I tried it last night and my X800 doesn’t do anything. When I try to play it, it says “No disc found.”

But when I try to open an app like Netflix or Vudu, it says that it can’t because it’s in trying to read from disc.

Anyone experiencing this with this or other discs?
No issues for me.
Give the disc a wipe or do a soft reset of the Sony ?
post #7986 of 9848 Old 05-14-2018, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Depending on your receiver model, the AVR may not display anything about Atmos if you do not have it configured for an Atmos setup -- in your case, a 7.1 configuration is not an Atmos setup. In that case, the receiver is extracting the Dolby TrueHD core from the Atmos soundtrack, so your AVR may display that instead.
old corps and Zoland2020 like this.
post #7987 of 9848 Old 05-14-2018, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
I am beginning to think that this player is extremely sensitive to finger prints on UHD discs. For some reason any little bit of finger prints or smudges with UHD discs messes this player up. It doesn't mess up regular Blu Ray though. As soon as I have an issue with a UHD disc I take it out and look for any smudges and wipe them away and it works like a charm. I have no idea why it's so sensitive but it seems to be. It's a great player though.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #7988 of 9848 Old 05-14-2018, 05:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I am beginning to think that this player is extremely sensitive to finger prints on UHD discs. For some reason any little bit of finger prints or smudges with UHD discs messes this player up. It doesn't mess up regular Blu Ray though. As soon as I have an issue with a UHD disc I take it out and look for any smudges and wipe them away and it works like a charm. I have no idea why it's so sensitive but it seems to be. It's a great player though.

It may not be the fingerprints you see. In the OPPO threads we’ve had confirmed cases of brand new UHD discs having problems because they still have a coating on the playing surface left over from manufacturing. A coating that should have been cleaned off prior to sale. This coating is not really visible by eye, but is easily wiped or washed off.

If you have a problem playing a UHD disc, I recommend your first step should be to Clean The Disc.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7989 of 9848 Old 05-14-2018, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
It may not be the fingerprints you see. In the OPPO threads we’ve had confirmed cases of brand new UHD discs having problems because they still have a coating on the playing surface left over from manufacturing. A coating that should have been cleaned off prior to sale. This coating is not really visible by eye, but is easily wiped or washed off.

If you have a problem playing a UHD disc, I recommend your first step should be to Clean The Disc.
—Bob
Oh wow I didn't read that or hear that but that makes sense. Easily washed off with just a cloth of some kind or does it need to be damp?

post #7990 of 9848 Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Oh wow I didn't read that or hear that but that makes sense. Easily washed off with just a cloth of some kind or does it need to be damp?

Many folks have had success simply wiping with a dry, microfiber cloth.

I prefer to wash gently with dish soap and hot water, then pat dry with a cotton towel. Particularly if there is visible grunge on the playing surface (such as visible fingerprints), so as not to wipe that grunge onto the rest of the surface.

Note that the tolerances for UHD discs are way tighter than for regular Blu-ray discs, and there are already, plenty of instances of bad batches getting out into retail. So if a Clean The Disc pass does not fix the problem then the next step would be to try to exchange for a replacement disc.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7991 of 9848 Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9319 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

—Bob
Out of the 90 or so discs, from just unwrapped UHD BD titles, I've played on my X800. I have never run across this issue.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7992 of 9848 Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Nevertheless, it happens.

There’s no need to clean every disc. Only if you have a problem.
—Bob

post #7993 of 9848 Old 05-17-2018, 01:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Correct. It won't play atmos audio stream in mkv though. You have to remux those files to m2ts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Right. Silence. It's not just that is won't play ATMOS. It won't play Dolby True HD. Period. Not the base channels. Nothing from MKV.

If you don't have a completely separate DD or other track, you won't get to hear anything.

--

And it won't play a LPCM soundtrack in an MKV container, either. I have no idea why (since I assume the Dolby True HD is a licensing thing but I thought LPCM was an open standard). But I have tested it and confirmed it.
Is this still the case with MKV and atmos? I just picked this player up and I'm having the same issues I was hoping their was a fix by now.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #7994 of 9848 Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
Is this still the case with MKV and atmos? I just picked this player up and I'm having the same issues I was hoping their was a fix by now.
Yes... it is not so much a needed fix in as much as it simply is what the spec is for the last several generations of Sony players with regard to Dolby True HD soundtracks in the MKV container.... convert them to MT2S files and they play, from what I have heard....

Also with regard to the complaint that LPCM soundtracks also will not play in the MKV container, that is not a Sony issue at all; that is a known issue with the way that MakeMKV handles PCM soundtracks... they do not play on other streamers either...simply use the "flac" profile in MakeMKV and convert the LPCM soundtrack to a lossless FLAC soundtrack and it plays fine.... but again I haven't tested on this exact model.
post #7995 of 9848 Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Yes... it is not so much a needed fix in as much as it simply is what the spec is for the last several generations of Sony players with regard to Dolby True HD soundtracks in the MKV container.... convert them to MT2S files and they play, from what I have heard....

Also with regard to the complaint that LPCM soundtracks also will not play in the MKV container, that is not a Sony issue at all; that is a known issue with the way that MakeMKV handles PCM soundtracks... they do not play on other streamers either...simply use the "flac" profile in MakeMKV and convert the LPCM soundtrack to a lossless FLAC soundtrack and it plays fine.... but again I haven't tested on this exact model.
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation I had no idea.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #7996 of 9848 Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I seem to be having a little issue with my setup.
I bought the X800 about 2 weeks ago and I have it connected to my Samsung 65" MU6300 tv, and my Yamaha RX-V677 receiver. My 677 is a nice receiver and all but it is not 2.2 compliant so I have to use the 2nd HDMi cable coming out of the X800 into my receiver and the other HDMi cable directly to the TV. ( both HDMI cables are certified premium 18mbps cables )
I have my TV connected with the receiver through the ARC HDMi port.
The issue I am having is when I play a disk on the Sony X800 everything works great until I pause the disk, then my receiver auto switches to the ARC channel coming from the TV so when I hit play again on the X800 I have no sound until I manually switch it back to the Blu ray input on the receiver. The image stays the same, I just lose the sound until I switch it back to the Blu Ray input.
It does this everytime I pause the disk. Not a great big deal, but just a pain in the butt to have to switch it back and would rather not have to change the input everytime I need to pause the movie.
Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere on the X800 or is this more of a setting issue with either the receiver or tv.
I thought about not using the ARC on the TV and just use the toslink cable which would probably fix the issue I am having but then I'm afraid I will lose some sound quality when I watch Directv.
I would appreciate any and all sugestions. Thanks.

I hope I described that right...

65" Samsung UN65MU6300, Sony UBP-X800
Directv HR5400-200, C61K-700 4K box, Toshiba HDDVD-A2
Denon AVR-S920W, Polk csiA4 center channel,Polk Monitor 40 series 2 front
2-Polk PSW10 subwoofer, Polk R150 front height,Polk M10 surrounds
Logitech Harmony 900 Remote
post #7997 of 9848 Old 05-18-2018, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOc90 View Post
I bought the X800 about 2 weeks ago and I have it connected to my Samsung 65" MU6300 tv, and my Yamaha RX-V677 receiver. My 677 is a nice receiver and all but it is not 2.2 compliant so I have to use the 2nd HDMi cable coming out of the X800 into my receiver and the other HDMi cable directly to the TV. ( both HDMI cables are certified premium 18mbps cables )
The issue I am having is when I play a disk on the Sony X800 everything works great until I pause the disk, then my receiver auto switches to the ARC channel coming from the TV so when I hit play again on the X800 I have no sound until I manually switch it back to the Blu ray input on the receiver. The image stays the same, I just lose the sound until I switch it back to the Blu Ray input.
It does this everytime I pause the disk. Not a great big deal, but just a pain in the butt to have to switch it back and would rather not have to change the input everytime I need to pause the movie.
Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere on the X800 or is this more of a setting issue with either the receiver or tv.
I thought about not using the ARC on the TV and just use the toslink cable which would probably fix the issue I am having but then I'm afraid I will lose some sound quality when I watch Directv.

I gave up on ARC in my setup and used a toslink cable -- it just wasn't worth my time to troubleshoot the issues I was having (different than yours). You will not get lossless audio via the ARC HDMI connection anyway, so the only downside to using toslink is that you need another inexpensive cable (I had extras laying around). As it turned out, I never use the audio connection from the display to the AVR anymore, as it was only for the built-in apps on the Vizio 4K display, and now I'm using an Apple TV 4K and Roku Ultra for all my streaming.
BigOc90 and old corps like this.
post #7998 of 9848 Old 05-18-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Hey man did you try turning off the bd mix with the sony player? Once I turned it off.....the receiver started decoding atmos.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
post #7999 of 9848 Old 05-18-2018, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was watching Star Wars - Last Jedi 4K disc last night when the player decided to freeze around 40 minutes mark. x800 would not respond to any remote commands or power/reject button on the player. I have seen random freezes before but I could stop and restart the disc. This is the first time the player completely froze. However, the strangest thing was that my internet became completely unresponsive too - wifi went completely dead on laptops/iphones etc as kids came down frantically I had to unplug the player from the power to restore normalcy. It seemed the player did something to my router when it froze. Player is ethernet wired. Has anyone seen something like this? Usually I stay away from 1st gen products and this is biting me back.
post #8000 of 9848 Old 05-18-2018, 03:59 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9319 Post(s)
Liked: 6002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOc90 View Post

The ARC does not play well when you use both HDMI outputs of a device. But when you just use one HDMI output for both audio and video, the ARC is superb. I have found this result in every setup that I use.
BigOc90 and Magellan55 like this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8001 of 9848 Old 05-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Totally agree with aaronwt. I was having a lot of issues with my AVR switching between my X800 and TV when I had my dual-HDMI setup. Sometimes at the start, sometimes after a pause, sometimes just when the movie is switching from previews to title, or title to movie. Whenever there's the slightest pause in either the video or audio signal, my old Sony 1050 thinks that component was switched off and switches to the other (either X800 or TV/ARC). So sometimes I'd get sound but no video, or video with no sound, and my family would look at me like I was a complete moron.

All this disappeared when I bit the bullet and upgraded to a 1080 when it was on sale, so I could pass HDCP 2.2 through it and go to a single HDMI out from the X800.

My wife probably still thinks I'm a moron for buying all this new AV gear in the first place, but at least my kids respect me again!

HT: OLED65E6P (ChadB cal'd), STR-DN1080, UBP-X800, 7 Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
post #8002 of 9848 Old 05-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Time for a new player.
Brand new 800 from Sony as a replacement for my old 800 that froze on most 4k dvd's froze tonight half way through Black Panther in 4k...remote controls did not work...had to unplug it and start over...fast forward to the spot where it froze and it played fine for the rest of the movie.

Really sucks to spend a lot of money on a device that doesn't work properly.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #8003 of 9848 Old 05-20-2018, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So has anyone determined or is there any consensus regarding the nature of this ‘freeze’ problem and it’s possible solution (short of reading through 267 pages of these forum posts)? The other puzzler for me is why Sony just keeps sending out new units — one would think a firmware tweak might solve this for them (and us) given all the user feedback and data.

Is each users setup so unique that the ‘freeze’ vector gets crossed in hidden and complex ways due to device sensitivity or are there actual hardware defect and manufacturing flaws only on certain units?

Is there even a consensus on these questions?
post #8004 of 9848 Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2042 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconuts View Post
So has anyone determined or is there any consensus regarding the nature of this ‘freeze’ problem and it’s possible solution (short of reading through 267 pages of these forum posts)? The other puzzler for me is why Sony just keeps sending out new units — one would think a firmware tweak might solve this for them (and us) given all the user feedback and data.

Is each users setup so unique that the ‘freeze’ vector gets crossed in hidden and complex ways due to device sensitivity or are there actual hardware defect and manufacturing flaws only on certain units?

Consensus is these freezes are pretty random. Plus you only read about the issues in this thread; most with working units don't bother posting. Every player freezes at least once or twice, its just a fact, not a pandemic. Granted some ppl do have bad units and their only solution is to get a new unit but nobody has found a trend as to the cause of it. I personally feel that things like Quick On setting, ARC setting, wifi vs wireless settings, disc vs streaming, all cause one thing or another in this player to freeze. Its not an exact reoccurring problem that anybody has been able to duplicate as far as I know. Overall, its definetly one of the better built quality players on the market today.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
post #8005 of 9848 Old 05-20-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

IMO, make sure to deny or shut OFF any unnecessary player network communications... HDMI control, Bluetooth, BD internet connection(BD-live)and the Auto Home Network access permission. I feel that these extra services can try to do their own thing at any time.... correctly or not.. and cause the player to glitch.
post #8006 of 9848 Old 05-20-2018, 12:47 PM

So, anecdotally speaking, have either of you actually experienced this problem and resolved it with your stated setting adjustments? Just wondering how random the issue really is versus how responsive the problem is to actual settings adjustment.

Did Kai Winters try these adjustments his/her units?

Ill try them anyway, thank you.
post #8007 of 9848 Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So, anecdotally speaking, have either of you actually experienced this problem and resolved it with your stated setting adjustments? Just wondering how random the issue really is versus how responsive the problem is to actual settings adjustment.

I shut off most of the settings that would use network access and have not had a player freeze since. However, my freezes were pretty infrequent and I have not played enough discs yet with these settings to say for a fact that it has cured my freezing problem.
post #8008 of 9848 Old 05-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Yeppers...I've tried all the above, including talking to a Sony service person who spent nearly an hour on the phone with me going through all kinds of trouble shooting methods and tweaks to fix the problem...It froze once during this call and the service person was perplexed and had no answer.

I have solved the problem........................................... ..replaced the device with a LG UBK 90 UHD player...

The LG was very easy to set up. The GUI is basic and nothing to brag about but it works fine and does everything I want it to. Minimal apps but I use my TV for Netflix, etc. so no cares there.
I played the 4k Black Panther disk and it started very quickly and played very well...video and audio is excellent. Also watched "The Terminator" BD and it also looked and sounded great...but the Sony played BD disks w/o problems as well.

Fingers crossed I don't experience any problems with the LG...there was a software update ready and waiting when I set it up and it dl'd and installed quickly w/o problems...

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home

Last edited by teachsac; 05-21-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Deal's talk
post #8009 of 9848 Old 05-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I shut off most of the settings that would use network access and have not had a player freeze since. However, my freezes were pretty infrequent and I have not played enough discs yet with these settings to say for a fact that it has cured my freezing problem.
Good tip. I had this issue occur for the first time yesterday about 2 hrs into Braveheart.

What a bummer.

I will turn off all network and other features. I am only using this player to play discs.

The good news is that I watched 9 movies on the weekend and it only froze this one time.

Zoof

Theater || 82NU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870
Rec || Pioneer KRP 500m | Pioneer SC-25 | PSB B25
Casual || LC-65LBU591C
post #8010 of 9848 Old 05-21-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Yeppers...I've tried all the above, including talking to a Sony service person who spent nearly an hour on the phone with me going through all kinds of trouble shooting methods and tweaks to fix the problem...It froze once during this call and the service person was perplexed and had no answer.

I have solved the problem........................................... ..replaced the device with a LG UBK 90 UHD player...

The LG was very easy to set up. The GUI is basic and nothing to brag about but it works fine and does everything I want it to. Minimal apps but I use my TV for Netflix, etc. so no cares there.
I played the 4k Black Panther disk and it started very quickly and played very well...video and audio is excellent. Also watched "The Terminator" BD and it also looked and sounded great...but the Sony played BD disks w/o problems as well.

Fingers crossed I don't experience any problems with the LG...there was a software update ready and waiting when I set it up and it dl'd and installed quickly w/o problems...
Sad (for you and Sony). How many decades has Sony been designing and manufacturing home electronics? Geez, one would think that with all the faulty units sent back for replacement (from this forum alone) they would successfully examine and nail down the root of the problem and at least inform their phone service responders with workable solutions, let alone notify owners who have registered their units (and don’t participate in specialized forums such as this).

Only Sony knows how widespread this problem is - and I for one smell a corporate coverup rat. Or worse . . . . . mere incompetence.

Thanks for the LG tip. I’ll keep it in mind if my X800 random problem continues to randomly happen. Even lowering the freeze rate on my unit is not good enough for me. It wrecks movie watching and I need it to stop. Just too maddening.

Last edited by teachsac; 05-21-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Quote edited for Deal's talk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page