OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25374Likes

post #9121 of 9673 Old 12-10-2018, 11:10 PM
SRQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up Freezing Eliminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I used to get an occasional player freeze-up when playing a UHD disc, but have not encountered one since turning off most of the network features on the player. Since many of the issues reported here happen when streaming, the issues may be caused by a bug in the networking portion of the OS.

Here's what I turned off:
  • Under Network Settings, turned OFF Auto Home Network Access
  • Under Network Settings, turned OFF Remote Start
  • Under System Settings, turned OFF Software Update Notification (you can still check manually)
I do not use the player for streaming (have an Apple TV 4K and a buggy Roku Ultra), so do not know how these setting will affect streaming.
Well I'll be, this really works. My x800 started freezing again a few wks ago, and was really bad with Incredibles 2 4k. To the point it was not watchable, happening every few seconds. Got so frustrated I went out and got a Panny 820 last week. Then stumbled across this ... first made sure the freezing was continuing (it was) and applied the changes. Voila no more freezing. IT'S A MIRACLE!!! Need to run through the full movie later this week, plus will experiment to see if the issue can be narrowed down further. Now what to do about the Panny, I still have lots of regular BR's that optimizer could work wonders for ...hmmmm...

Last edited by SRQ; 12-15-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9673 Old 12-11-2018, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
Hello all,

Is it normal that the device does not remember where I last stopped watching?
I am looking at 4k Blu ray Planet earth II and when I click stop or just shut down the player, it should normally remember where I left off?

This is one of the reasons the PS3 was my go-to Blu-ray player for years. I could change out the discs (DVDs and Blu-rays) and it would pick up exactly where I left off without missing a beat. On standalone players, once you eject the disc, you start fresh. And sometimes, even when you power off the unit, as you experienced. It is truly a feature I miss since I change out discs since I am often making my way through various series and then will pop in a new 4K disc or a Blu-ray rental from Netflix. So, it isn't uncommon for me to change out three or four discs in a week.
post #9123 of 9673 Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I used to get an occasional player freeze-up when playing a UHD disc, but have not encountered one since turning off most of the network features on the player. Since many of the issues reported here happen when streaming, the issues may be caused by a bug in the networking portion of the OS.

Here's what I turned off:
  • Under Network Settings, turned OFF Auto Home Network Access
  • Under Network Settings, turned OFF Remote Start
  • Under System Settings, turned OFF Software Update Notification (you can still check manually)
I do not use the player for streaming (have an Apple TV 4K and a buggy Roku Ultra), so do not know how these setting will affect streaming.
Well I'll be, this really works. My x800 started freezing again a few wks ago, and was really bad with Incredibles 2 4k. To the point it was not watchable, happening every few seconds. Got so frustrated I went out and got a Panny 820 last week. Then stumbled across this ... first made sure the freezing was continuing (it was) and applied the changes. Voila no more freezing. IT'S A MIRACLE!!! Need to run through the full movie later this week, plus will experiment to see if the issue can be narrowed down further. Now what to do about the Panny, I still have lots of regular BR's that optimizer could work wonders for ...hmmmm...
Just to clarify, that "optimizer" you speak of is only upscaling the BRs and does not do SDR to HDR coversion like a lot of ppl think it does. That HDR optimizer only works for HDR content sadly...
For me, the x800 does amazing upscaling of BRs already.
SRQ likes this.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9124 of 9673 Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I noticed that if I unplug the HDMI cable from my recently purchased Sony x800, connecting to a Denon receiver, both the sound and the image from the tv get better. Why is that?

Could it be because my Denon 2113 receiver has no ARC and I'm not sure if it can upscale signal to UHD? Also the tv is only full HD, cannot display UHD. I know it all relates to image, but maybe upon trying to upscale the image (and failing) the BD UHD player also, somehow, worsens the sound?

The Sony UBP-X800 was updated and I've got no freezing or other issues.

Thank you.

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Sony UBP-X800, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350

Last edited by alexandru27; 12-11-2018 at 08:38 AM.
post #9125 of 9673 Old 12-11-2018, 08:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 5760 Post(s)
Liked: 8233
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
Hello all,

Is it normal that the device does not remember where I last stopped watching?
I am looking at 4k Blu ray Planet earth II and when I click stop or just shut down the player, it should normally remember where I left off?
Flickpal answered your question correctly, but if you are interested in more details see my Blog post here:

Why Won't My Movie Disc Restart Where I Stopped It? OR, A Steaming Mug of BD Java!

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #9126 of 9673 Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 PM
SRQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Just to clarify, that "optimizer" you speak of is only upscaling the BRs and does not do SDR to HDR coversion like a lot of ppl think it does. That HDR optimizer only works for HDR content sadly...
For me, the x800 does amazing upscaling of BRs already.
I did a comparison and agree, the X800 slightly outperformed the 820... better contrast with deeper blacks/ colours and no loss of detail. As long as it doesn't freeze anymore!! Still have a few days to return the 820.
post #9127 of 9673 Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
I did a comparison and agree, the X800 slightly outperformed the 820... better contrast with deeper blacks/ colours and no loss of detail. As long as it doesn't freeze anymore!! Still have a few days to return the 820.
What display are you running?

I am running an Epson 5040ub and am looking for what UHD/Bluray player and everyone is telling me the Panny820 is the way to go for both upscaling and 4kcontent.

The Sony x800 is 3-400$ cheaper tho, and I already purchased an Nvidia Shield for streaming/media library handling anyways.

The 820 is sold out for who knows how long anyways. (also I would reccomend selling that 820 on ebay before returning it, you will actually make money on the deal most likely)

But if I can get the same or better picture quality out of the x800 maybe I should do that instead of the Panny? What else does the Panny offer that I am not understanding?
post #9128 of 9673 Old 12-13-2018, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
I also have both the X800 and 820 and this is not the case for me. My projector doesn't do HDR so the reason the 820 outshines the X800 for me is the HDR to SDR conversion capabilities of the 820. It has also been reported by many Epson Projector users that have HDR capability that the HDR to SDR conversion of the 820 works much better for them than native HDR output.

Bottom line here is that, for some, the X800 might be better but, for others, the opposite will be true.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #9129 of 9673 Old 12-15-2018, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After rereading the manual, I changed some settings in audio and video sections, and the sound and image improved. Now all seem fine on Sony UBP-x800.

Denon AVR-2113, Monitor Audio BX2/BXC/BXFX, Sony UBP-X800, LG 37LH5000, Sennheiser PC-350
post #9130 of 9673 Old 12-15-2018, 04:22 PM
SRQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrosc View Post
What display are you running?

I am running an Epson 5040ub and am looking for what UHD/Bluray player and everyone is telling me the Panny820 is the way to go for both upscaling and 4kcontent.

The Sony x800 is 3-400$ cheaper tho, and I already purchased an Nvidia Shield for streaming/media library handling anyways.

The 820 is sold out for who knows how long anyways. (also I would reccomend selling that 820 on ebay before returning it, you will actually make money on the deal most likely)

But if I can get the same or better picture quality out of the x800 maybe I should do that instead of the Panny? What else does the Panny offer that I am not understanding?

LG B7 65" OLED ... my situation is different from yours, you will benefit more from the Panny. Looks like I'll be keeping the 820, see next post.
post #9131 of 9673 Old 12-15-2018, 04:25 PM
SRQ

Quote:
Ok so tested this further, to see if just one of these settings is responsible. Turned them all back on, and freezing quickly returned. Then turned off 'software update' only, and freezing went away ... but came back after approx 5 mins of running a 4k BR. So turned off auto network access and remote start, one by one, but freezing did not go away. There definitely seems to be a relationship here but it's not the holy grail to get the X800 back to 100% . At least I still have the 820
post #9132 of 9673 Old 12-15-2018, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Impossible to update by internet.Keep getting Connection status cannot be confirmed as well as cannot connect with server. I do have the internet connection set up properly and the unit confirms this. Been trying for over an hour. Looks like I will have to download update to USB.I just hate when this crap doesn't function like it is supposed to.
post #9133 of 9673 Old 12-16-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 261
not sure the best place to ask this question is it a receiver or player problem (also in yamaha thread apologies for posting twice).

Goal: Basically in my home theater I would like to listen to music ( multi and two channel) without turning on the projector.
Issue: no audio from 4k/BD player when projector is off. when it is on I can play all types of discs.

Equipment & setup:
Sony upb-x800 using HDMI 1 out to yamaha HDMI ( AV1) IN. Yamaha 3060 HDMI 1 (ARC) to JVC projector using celerity 30ft. cable.
Sony Audio settings: Digital audio output- Auto , DSD output-normal.

Am I missing something? Is it the arc output that is interfering with it? any suggestions appreciated.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a small monitor to hookup to the yamaha out (zone2) to navigate disc menus, again not sure that would solve anything.

I have a smaller similar setup in another room ( using tv only). if I pop in a cd or said it plays automatically with no need to turn on TV
post #9134 of 9673 Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked: 2343
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post
Impossible to update by internet.Keep getting Connection status cannot be confirmed as well as cannot connect with server. I do have the internet connection set up properly and the unit confirms this. Been trying for over an hour. Looks like I will have to download update to USB.I just hate when this crap doesn't function like it is supposed to.
Are you sure that your player is not already up to date?

I have seen those errors happen when the FW in the 800 is already up to date. Rather than a message saying that the player is up to date, you get connection error messages. I have had that happen since day 1. It has worked reliably the few times there actually has been a new update available.

#JB17
post #9135 of 9673 Old 12-16-2018, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Are you sure that your player is not already up to date?

I have seen those errors happen when the FW in the 800 is already up to date. Rather than a message saying that the player is up to date, you get connection error messages. I have had that happen since day 1. It has worked reliably the few times there actually has been a new update available.
No it was not up to date. I believe the last 3 numbers were 173. After trying for an hour again this morning it finally connected to the internet and did the update. Don't know what to expect now but recently when I turned it on before the update it showed no connection to the tv. I swapped out the cable this morning and seems to be working now.
post #9136 of 9673 Old 12-16-2018, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I recently moved my universal player OPPO 93 to an upstairs room for listening to SACD on a 2 channel system. So this leaves me with my X800 for 4K movies, DVD, SACD and DVD-A in home theatre room. I'm thinking of getting an X700 and use it exclusively for video content since it supports DV and Atmos then use the X800 exclusively for hi-res audio, multichannel music playback over HDMI including its support for DVD-A (I have several DVD-A discs) since the X700 does not support the DVD-A audio format.

Has anyone compared the video quality of the X700 vs. X800? Is the X700 same quality as X800?

Last edited by Canuck Sonido; 12-16-2018 at 09:48 AM.
post #9137 of 9673 Old 12-16-2018, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Disk Tray Won't Open - HELP!!

Is there a way to manually release/open the disk tray? Mine will not open. I have tried all the Sony solutions....nothing has worked. The tray tries to open, but stops.

Many Thanks!

Ken
post #9138 of 9673 Old 12-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70383roadrunner View Post

I've had the same bug, you have to re-initialize personal information. It will wipe your app log-ins, and your wi-fi info, but will clear the error.
You do not have to factory reset the unit.

PSN BradCompany
post #9139 of 9673 Old 12-17-2018, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
not sure the best place to ask this question is it a receiver or player problem (also in yamaha thread apologies for posting twice).

Goal: Basically in my home theater I would like to listen to music ( multi and two channel) without turning on the projector.
Issue: no audio from 4k/BD player when projector is off. when it is on I can play all types of discs.
Sorry, I can not test this with X800 any more. But just out of curiosity I tested it with my X700 player, connected to my DN1080 AVR, quite the same way as yours.
I could play all discs (CD, DVD, BD and UHD BD) with TV off.
Have you tried to also connect HDMI 2 out to AVR? It should emit audio if signal sink not detected on HDMI 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B54D994B-03DC-4B2E-BE46-CAB8A5D67053_1545067213559.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2497918  
post #9140 of 9673 Old 12-17-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Sorry, I can not test this with X800 any more. But just out of curiosity I tested it with my X700 player, connected to my DN1080 AVR, quite the same way as yours.
I could play all discs (CD, DVD, BD and UHD BD) with TV off.
Have you tried to also connect HDMI 2 out to AVR? It should emit audio if signal sink not detected on HDMI 1.
I did some playing around. I think either the celerity HDMI adapter used to plug in the fiber cable or the Yamaha itself is malfunctioning.
HDMI control set to off & zone 2 HDMI set to main zone view. So i should be able to view same source from both outputs.

problem: TV plugged into HDMI 2 only- picture and music play
TV plugged into HDMI 2 and projector plugged into HDMI 1 - does not work. no picture no audio from player
TV plugged into HDMI 1 only- everything works fine
Tv plugged into HDMI 1 and projector HDMI 2- does not work

so it seems whenever the projector HDMI is plugged in, the other HDMI port will not work for some reason.

your right it should work. I have other setups that work as they should. no need to turn monitor on to listen to music. this one has me baffled.
post #9141 of 9673 Old 12-17-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i View Post
Is there a way to manually release/open the disk tray? Mine will not open. I have tried all the Sony solutions....nothing has worked. The tray tries to open, but stops.

Many Thanks!

Ken
You've tried all of the owner manual suggestions?

Quote:
The disc tray does not open and you cannot remove the disc even after you press OPEN/CLOSE.

• While the player is turned on, press STOP, HOME, and then TOP MENU button on the remote to unlock the tray and disable the Child Lock (page 10).
• Try the following:

1. Turn the player off, and disconnect the AC power cord.
2. Reconnect the AC power cord while pressing down OPEN/CLOSE on the player.
3. Keep pressing down OPEN/CLOSE on the player until the tray opens.
4. Remove the disc.
If you've tried these steps with no success then a service visit is in your future.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #9142 of 9673 Old 12-17-2018, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
You've tried all of the owner manual suggestions?

If you've tried these steps with no success then a service visit is in your future.
Thanks for the response, Mr. G!
I tried all the Sony instructions, nothing worked.
But, my wife fixed it! She unplugged, turned it over, hit the base with her fist a couple of times, plugged it back in, and ---- shazam!! it worked!! Nothing like a woman's ingenuity!!

Thanks!
Ken
post #9143 of 9673 Old 12-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
But, my wife fixed it! She unplugged, turned it over, hit the base with her fist a couple of times, plugged it back in, and ---- shazam!! it worked!! Nothing like a woman's ingenuity!!

Thanks!
Ken

"impact adjustment"
ken325i likes this.
post #9144 of 9673 Old 12-17-2018, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
X800 BLACKOUT ISSUE:

Hey all... I recently discovered a cause of a "Black screen" crash on my X800. I was 43 minutes into watching a UHD, when suddenly the movie stopped and the screen went completely black. No response to Home button, return button, play, pause, next track etc.

Finally I simply hit the power button and powered down the unit. Powered it back up, and the first thing that popped up on the screen is this message: "Playback stopped because a USB device was detected."

Now, this is curious. I had a small USB3 thumb drive in the USB port the entire time I was watching the film. In fact, I had accessed the USB file system first, before starting the UHD. (The X800 has some pretty stringent mechanisms that keep disc playback and USB playback separate; it's so draconian that you can't even access your USB device if your disc tray is open. )

Anyway, I'm guessing here... but for some reason, the X800 was randomly tripped (or pinged) by that USB stick while I was watching a UHD, and in a panic, it stopped playback of the disc. The screen went black, because a black screen is what you see when you access your USB device before its menu shows up on the screen. I had assumed that the X800 crashed because I only saw a black screen so I shut it down.

So I have inadvertently discovered at least ONE root cause of X800 black-screen crashes, or at least discovered that it's more likely to occur if you have a USB device plugged in at the same time. The X800 just doesn't seem to play nice with both. So I've made it a habit of removing any USB device from the port if I'm going to be watching a disc. A small pain, but necessary due to this glitch.

I'm sorry if this has been posted about before; I did a search but wasn't able to find anything in this thread about it. Just wanted to bring it to users' attentions.

Cheers,
Peter
Medi0gre likes this.
post #9145 of 9673 Old 12-17-2018, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazmusik View Post
X800 BLACKOUT ISSUE:

Hey all... I recently discovered a cause of a "Black screen" crash on my X800. I was 43 minutes into watching a UHD, when suddenly the movie stopped and the screen went completely black. No response to Home button, return button, play, pause, next track etc.

Finally I simply hit the power button and powered down the unit. Powered it back up, and the first thing that popped up on the screen is this message: "Playback stopped because a USB device was detected."

Now, this is curious. I had a small USB3 thumb drive in the USB port the entire time I was watching the film. In fact, I had accessed the USB file system first, before starting the UHD. (The X800 has some pretty stringent mechanisms that keep disc playback and USB playback separate; it's so draconian that you can't even access your USB device if your disc tray is open. )

Anyway, I'm guessing here... but for some reason, the X800 was randomly tripped (or pinged) by that USB stick while I was watching a UHD, and in a panic, it stopped playback of the disc. The screen went black, because a black screen is what you see when you access your USB device before its menu shows up on the screen. I had assumed that the X800 crashed because I only saw a black screen so I shut it down.

So I have inadvertently discovered at least ONE root cause of X800 black-screen crashes, or at least discovered that it's more likely to occur if you have a USB device plugged in at the same time. The X800 just doesn't seem to play nice with both. So I've made it a habit of removing any USB device from the port if I'm going to be watching a disc. A small pain, but necessary due to this glitch.

I'm sorry if this has been posted about before; I did a search but wasn't able to find anything in this thread about it. Just wanted to bring it to users' attentions.

Cheers,

Peter

Hmm I have a USB drive inserted. Thought it was needed for BD Live features. Should I just remove it and not bother?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
post #9146 of 9673 Old 12-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
Hmm I have a USB drive inserted. Thought it was needed for BD Live features. Should I just remove it and not bother?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
Flyinion,

No need, unless you're running into issues like I am. I can't be sure my issue is due to a defect or not.

~ Peter
post #9147 of 9673 Old 12-18-2018, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:

Thanks!
Ken
Lol. Glad your problem was fixed. Thinking your wife has seen Armageddon a few times.

ken325i likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
post #9148 of 9673 Old 12-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Send a message via Skype™ to I-SIBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
I also have both the X800 and 820 and this is not the case for me. My projector doesn't do HDR so the reason the 820 outshines the X800 for me is the HDR to SDR conversion capabilities of the 820. It has also been reported by many Epson Projector users that have HDR capability that the HDR to SDR conversion of the 820 works much better for them than native HDR output.

Bottom line here is that, for some, the X800 might be better but, for others, the opposite will be true.
I own the x800... and the Panasonic UB9000 (big brother of the 820)... and an Oppo 203... and a Cambridge Audio... don't ask why...

On an OLED there is not much difference between the players, the PQ is so similar to look identical... on the upscaling of Full HD material there is not much difference also... where the x800 is inferior is on the upscaling of SD DVDs to 4K; here the other three players I own are superior... much superior? nah... just a little bit.

I'm also a 4K projector user... and here the Panny really shines; the Tone Mapping and HDR Optimizer really work well!

But, if your display is a 4K HDR flat panel.... the reality is that any UHD player will do an excellent job, including the miserable plastic thingies that sells for 150$s...

Everyone that see huge differences (on a modern tv) between players is victim of the "placebo effect"... or selling "snake Oil"...
Differences are minuscule at best...

I smile every time I read a former ask the "PQ question"...
WynsWrld98 and nathan_h like this.

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network
post #9149 of 9673 Old 12-18-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-SIBI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post

I own the x800... and the Panasonic UB9000 (big brother of the 820)... and an Oppo 203... and a Cambridge Audio... don't ask why... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

On an OLED there is not much difference between the players, the PQ is so similar to look identical... on the upscaling of Full HD material there is not much difference also... where the x800 is inferior is on the upscaling of SD DVDs to 4K; here the other three players I own are superior... much superior? nah... just a little bit. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

I'm also a 4K projector user... and here the Panny really shines; the Tone Mapping and HDR Optimizer really work well!

But, if your display is a 4K HDR flat panel.... the reality is that any UHD player will do an excellent job, including the miserable plastic thingies that sells for 150$s... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

Everyone that see huge differences (on a modern tv) between players is victim of the "placebo effect"... or selling "snake Oil"...
Differences are minuscule at best...

I smile every time I read a former ask the "PQ question"... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
I disagree with your findings and this might be due to a small but very crucial setting in the chain and not because you don't know any better 🙂 The setting I am referring to is whether your resolution on the player is set to 4K or original. Having owned the X800 and the Samsung K8500 and the 9500 players I can say the X800 is much better at rending UHDs. But you may not notice any difference or a minor one if you always have your TV render or upscale instead of the players. If you have the different players use their processing each time, you'll find that the x800 is miles ahead of the Samsung players and their oversharpening of everything. X800 is a much more natural picture with deeper colors and better motion. Samsungs is more of a vivid image with artifacts and noise and not good motion for me.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #9150 of 9673 Old 12-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
I disagree with your findings and this might be due to a small but very crucial setting in the chain and not because you don't know any better 🙂 The setting I am referring to is whether your resolution on the player is set to 4K or original. Having owned the X800 and the Samsung K8500 and the 9500 players I can say the X800 is much better at rending UHDs. But you may not notice any difference or a minor one if you always have your TV render or upscale instead of the players. If you have the different players use their processing each time, you'll find that the x800 is miles ahead of the Samsung players and their oversharpening of everything. X800 is a much more natural picture with deeper colors and better motion. Samsungs is more of a vivid image with artifacts and noise and not good motion for me.

The original question wasn't about Samsung but was about the Sony X800 vs the Panasonic 820. I actually also have all 3 but I moved my Samsung to my lake house where I still have a HD setup and not a UHD setup. The only area I see where the X800 is superior to the 820 is that you can set up the X800 to output "original resolution"... If you play a Blu-ray it will output 1080p and your display device will do the UHD upscaling. I do prefer that over the 820 "set the resolution and everything is output at that resolution" approach. I still stand by my original statement that, in many cases the HDR to SDR conversion on the 820 results in a superior picture... Your mileage may vary depending on the display device.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page