OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 318 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25374Likes

post #9511 of 9673 Old 04-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Strange (or maybe dumb!) question - and apologies in advance, as I don't know for sure if this is an issue with my X800.

I recently picked up an X800 to use as an alternative disc transport feeding my Oppo UDP-205 (Some CDs make a quiet but noticeable vibrating noise on early tracks with both of my 205s. Turns out the same CDs make the same noise with the X800, but oh well...)

But I noticed that when playing CDs through the X800's coax output, every song begins with a very short but noticeable fade-up, perhaps 0.2 seconds or so.

When playing CDs through the X800's HDMI 2/audio-only output, the first song on the CD begins with the same short fade-up, but the rest of the CD plays normally.

I presume the initial fade-up with HDMI is a handshaking issue, yes?

But I'm mystified about the coax. Is this a device-negotiation issue too? Is it possible that either the X800 or the 205 is somehow resetting the connection in between every track?

Grateful for any insights or ideas folks might have. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9673 Old 04-08-2019, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Why? Don't you trust your TV's upscaler?
My X800 randomly goes back to "auto" after I set it to 4K.
Think it happens when that "update services" option shows up at the main screen.
I only use the X800 in the weekends so I cut power to it completely every sundaynight...maybe that causes it.
But I stopped setting it back to 4K since the auto setting is doing what it should cause I do not notice anything going wrong when watching normal Blu-ray and 4k discs : Not an issue for me after I got this out of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Short answer, a resounding NO. Long answer, not only does the player upscales 2K movies very well but im a full on purist and my Samsung tv (and all their bluray players) tend to make everything vivid and extra sharp which I hate. I prefer the much more natural picture that the x800 offers and did I mention it helps with the crapy motion that my Samsung produces. The x800 basically hides all my tvs shortcomings and I get an amazing picture this way. (Side note: the Samsung technical support recommends you watch everything in Vivid mode lols).
Ok, since I have the Sony AF8 this is not something I need to worry about....just upgrade your set

Sony 65AF8
Sony UBP-X800
Marantz SR7005, Tannoy Revolution speakers (RC,R2,R3)
Marantz UD5005
post #9513 of 9673 Old 04-08-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX900 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Why? Don't you trust your TV's upscaler?
Think it happens when that "update services" option shows up at the main screen.
I only use the X800 in the weekends so I cut power to it completely every sundaynight...maybe that causes it.
But I stopped setting it back to 4K since the auto setting is doing what it should cause I do not notice anything going wrong when watching normal Blu-ray and 4k discs : Not an issue for me after I got this out of my head.

Quote:
Short answer, a resounding NO. Long answer, not only does the player upscales 2K movies very well but im a full on purist and my Samsung tv (and all their bluray players) tend to make everything vivid and extra sharp which I hate. I prefer the much more natural picture that the x800 offers and did I mention it helps with the crapy motion that my Samsung produces. The x800 basically hides all my tvs shortcomings and I get an amazing picture this way. (Side note: the Samsung technical support recommends you watch everything in Vivid mode lols).
Ok, since I have the Sony AF8 this is not something I need to worry about....just upgrade your set [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
So the solution is pretty simple but costs $3000 😄
steve1971 likes this.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9514 of 9673 Old 04-08-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:

Ok, since I have the Sony AF8 this is not something I need to worry about....just upgrade your set

Not everyone has the money to upgrade their set.
CCsoftball7 and b0rnarian like this.
post #9515 of 9673 Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Ok, since I have the Sony AF8....
I believe Sony X1 image processor's upscaler is widely recognised as one of the best in the industry. So I also leave my X700 on Auto and let the TV upscale. On Auto the UBP outputs the original resolution recorded on the disc to HDMI.
IIDexII likes this.
post #9516 of 9673 Old 04-09-2019, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
So the solution is pretty simple but costs $3000 😄
Yes, sorry..........but otherwise, just checking the setting everytime you want to use the X800 is not really that much work

Sony 65AF8
Sony UBP-X800
Marantz SR7005, Tannoy Revolution speakers (RC,R2,R3)
Marantz UD5005
post #9517 of 9673 Old 04-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Streaming!

I've really been enjoying using my X800 for streaming, especially Netflix. The app loads exceedingly fast. I think HDR10 looks better than DolbyVision on my system, so having only HDR10 available via the X800 is a real plus for me. If the X800 included DolbyVision, my Sony TV would automatically select it and not allow me to choose the HDR10 option.

Prime Video, Pandora, and YouTube are also conveniently available for me to use. If a YouTube TV app ever shows up, my X800 would pretty much be the only streaming device I would need in my main system.

Oh yeh, it's a very nifty disc player as well! 💿
IIDexII and Panson like this.
post #9518 of 9673 Old 04-11-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Questions regarding X800 existence (2017 - Present).

Have there been any hardware changes by Sony for this unit?

Have any glitches not been solved by firmware updates?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #9519 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, but I did search this thread, and surprisingly didn't find anything.

Is the Hulu app in the X-800 a really dumbed down version, or should I expect an update? I've had my X-800 for a couple weeks now, but just checked out the Hulu app last night. There's no profile to choose from, and I can't even watch Game of Thrones. The app is totally different from the app on my PS4, or even my living room TV with Roku built in. The Hulu apps on both of these allow me to watch Game of Thrones and so much more. What gives?
post #9520 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
I've really been enjoying using my X800 for streaming, especially Netflix. The app loads exceedingly fast. I think HDR10 looks better than DolbyVision on my system, so having only HDR10 available via the X800 is a real plus for me. If the X800 included DolbyVision, my Sony TV would automatically select it and not allow me to choose the HDR10 option.

Prime Video, Pandora, and YouTube are also conveniently available for me to use. If a YouTube TV app ever shows up, my X800 would pretty much be the only streaming device I would need in my main system.

Oh yeh, it's a very nifty disc player as well! 💿
Good points re DV. I've concluded, at this time, that DV's more trouble than it's worth. Such as different DVs, and incompatibilities. Too, some technological claims remain absent for consumers because equipment doesn't exist.
LDBetaGuy likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #9521 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, but I did search this thread, and surprisingly didn't find anything.

Is the Hulu app in the X-800 a really dumbed down version, or should I expect an update? I've had my X-800 for a couple weeks now, but just checked out the Hulu app last night. There's no profile to choose from, and I can't even watch Game of Thrones. The app is totally different from the app on my PS4, or even my living room TV with Roku built in. The Hulu apps on both of these allow me to watch Game of Thrones and so much more. What gives?
Welcome to the world of streaming apps on bluray players! There is no rhyme or reason to streaming app versions and capabilities on even decicated streaming devices..much less what is offered on disc players....so if an app happens to work for you properly on a bluray player, consider it a bonus!
Panson likes this.
post #9522 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Welcome to the world of streaming apps on bluray players! There is no rhyme or reason to streaming app versions and capabilities on even decicated streaming devices..much less what is offered on disc players....so if an app happens to work for you properly on a bluray player, consider it a bonus!
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I don't imagine there's any hope that Sony is going to update this app at this point. It looks like what I can't watch on my Sony Blu-ray player I'll be able to watch on my Sony PS4. I just can't get over what a POS the hulu app is on the Blu-ray player though. If this had been my first experience with hulu, I would have written them off just on the basis of this lousy app.

Well, it's Saturday afternoon, the weather in Wisconsin today is the kind that keeps one in the house, so back to enjoying the otherwise very nice Sony X-800 Blu-ray player. I'll have to pop in a couple Super Audio CDs and DVD-Audios this afternoon and see how I like them through this player.
post #9523 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Good points re DV. I've concluded, at this time, that DV's more trouble than it's worth. Such as different DVs, and incompatibilities. Too, some technological claims remain absent for consumers because equipment doesn't exist.
I wish Dolby had left well enough alone. HDR10 is standard, more easily implemented and, when done correctly, can look stunningly good!

Now IMAX and DTS have partnered to provide yet another certification for audio and video equipment; "IMAX ENHANCED". https://www.imaxenhanced.com/https:/...xenhanced.com/

The website includes this bit about IMAX ENHANCED: "This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker’s guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Without this technology, high-dynamic range content can actually look worse than what was originally seen and intended by the filmmaker due to excessive noise and grain in the film.

I guess they're trying to "out DolbyVision" DolbyVision!
Panson likes this.
post #9524 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wish Dolby had left well enough alone. HDR10 is standard, more easily implemented and, when done correctly, can look stunningly good!

Now IMAX and DTS have partnered to provide yet another certification for audio and video equipment; "IMAX ENHANCED". https://www.imaxenhanced.com/https:/...xenhanced.com/

The website includes this bit about IMAX ENHANCED: "This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker’s guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Without this technology, high-dynamic range content can actually look worse than what was originally seen and intended by the filmmaker due to excessive noise and grain in the film.

As if there wasn't enough stuff already that's N/A.

It's reached the comical stage--too much pasta thrown at the wall. Most AVers are numbed by it.

I liked tbaucom's comment on the "New IMAX Enhanced Partners and Content Announced" thread, "I have no doubt imax enhanced will sound very good on a system capable of playing it back as intended. Unfortunately , I don’t think most of us have such a system."
aaronwt and LDBetaGuy like this.

post #9525 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have yet to use a 4k UHD disc on my x800... I set it to bitstream. Will that allow me to play 4k movies?
post #9526 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 05:48 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8902 Post(s)
Liked: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound2017 View Post
I have yet to use a 4k UHD disc on my x800... I set it to bitstream. Will that allow me to play 4k movies?
Bitstream has to do with audio. That will allow you to send the undecoded audio to your receiver to decode. Allowing you to also get Atmos and DTS:X audio from your receiver.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9527 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok my bad yes i have dolby atmos. So the 4k movies.... what are people talking about having to reset something every time from auto to 4k?
post #9528 of 9673 Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 PM
UHD Addict

No idea. I've never needed to reset mine. It's settings have never changed on their own, in the twenty five months I've owned my X800.

post #9529 of 9673 Old 04-14-2019, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I bought the UBP-UX80 from Costco. Worked good for a year and now it constantly malfunctions.

It opens to a weird menu, won't operate properly, and I have to reenter our Netflix sign in every time.

Just a bad unit or something common to these? It's going back to Costco today and I'll need to research a new player.
post #9530 of 9673 Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
I bought the UBP-UX80 from Costco. Worked good for a year and now it constantly malfunctions.

It opens to a weird menu, won't operate properly, and I have to reenter our Netflix sign in every time.

Just a bad unit or something common to these? It's going back to Costco today and I'll need to research a new player.
Replace it with another Sony. Take advantage of the Costco generous return policy. It sounds like you might have a lemon.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB)
irishluck73 likes this.

post #9531 of 9673 Old 04-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Or trying to appeal to the newer generation of movie-watchers who have never seen a film made on actual film and find grain to be annoying and a sign of a "defective" picture.
Aino and LDBetaGuy like this.
post #9532 of 9673 Old 04-14-2019, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

It's a good player. If it has the functionality you want, then I would just replace it with another X800. What you are describing isn't indicative of the unit. Sounds like you just have some sort of electronic failure... Happens to the best of products.
irishluck73 likes this.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #9533 of 9673 Old 04-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

Costco may have extended the warranty for this purchase to two years. You should check with them. See https://www.costco.com/concierge.html .
irishluck73 likes this.
post #9534 of 9673 Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
I am wanting to know how I can play my ripped UHD in its entirely and keeping the entire menu intact from an external drive... if this is not the correct thread, pls guide me in the right direction. Thnx!

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #9535 of 9673 Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I am wanting to know how I can play my ripped UHD in its entirely and keeping the entire menu intact from an external drive... if this is not the correct thread, pls guide me in the right direction. Thnx!
You can't, on this player.
You'd need to burn it to BDXL writable disc or be happy with browsing the files only.
I've learned on this forum, that for what you are asking for, you'd need to get an Oppo.

Last edited by priitv8; 04-15-2019 at 10:42 PM.
post #9536 of 9673 Old 04-16-2019, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Hi all. Just recently purchased the player two weeks ago and watched my first 4k disc this past weekend but ran into an issue. The movie was Mortal Engines and about an hour and 41 minutes into the movie, the movie started to studder and then just completely stopped on one scene and would not continue to play. Pressing skip would not do anything nor would fast forward. This was the first disc I've played and the player is fully updated. Is this something that's common with this player?
post #9537 of 9673 Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I picked up a used X800 with no remote from eBay for $80. The seller had several of them available with BUY-IT-NOW around $120 but accepted my $80 offer. The first one was a dud (wouldn't play a disc, launch apps from the home screen, or update firmware) but the replacement they sent out pretty quickly is working like a charm. My main reason for buying was to consolidate a non 3D-capable UHD player (Samsung M8500) and an old 3D-capable Sharp player, but the build quality is a definite bonus. Since I don't need DV (front projection), I'm not sure there's much better out there than the X800 anywhere close to this price point.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #9538 of 9673 Old 04-16-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone noticed that with the latest firmware it seems like the DSD>PCM conversion is no longer filtered? There's a massive hiss present when playing SACD's over HDMI with DSD>PCM conversion to 176.4kHz (the only setting). I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before, and my HDMI DAC supports 176.4kHz.

It's a bummer because I enjoy it as an all-in-one disc player.. I may just end up using it for Region B blu-rays and get an older Oppo for SACD/hi-res files...
post #9539 of 9673 Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberguy12 View Post
Hey Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of the X700 my only complaint would be the noise level, had something similar Sony made before and found it very distracting. I was considering the X800 because of the solid construction and good performance, however going back to my original comment it looks like there are two variations of that it the Sony UBP-X800 and the Sony UBP-UX80, they both look like the same player but I'm not sure if they exactly are, I'm just curious if anyone can tell me if they are and if theres any difference in construction.
morasp asked a similar question about the video and "audio" differences between the models in post #9451
I didn't read the entire thread but I didn't see the "audio" differences between 700 and 800 (s) addressed in recent posts. The 800 (s) and 1000 have much "heavier chassis construction" as they were introduced and marketed as audiophile grade universal disc players to compete with much higher priced OPPOs. They have Sony's best audio processing...DSEE HX digital sound enhancement engine that can play and upscale ANY audio signal to date as well as well as having the heavy anti-vibration and isolation build qualities that reduce platform noise, vibration, jitter and audio signal interference. The 700 doesn't offer the same level of audio processing and playback.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 04-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.
post #9540 of 9673 Old 04-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone know if this player can play movies on a local computer/server with DTSHD or TrueHD?

I have a bunch of blurays and 4k movies on my server. I want to stream them to this player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page