OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25422Likes

post #9931 of 9959 Old 01-11-2020, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeldo View Post
Since you tried the cable, do you have access to another tv that you could try? Or maybe take it to the Best Buy store and plug it into one of their sets to see what it does there. I had two of these players and one had random freezing issues and would not power up even though the light was on. My other player has never had a problem. You could have one with issues.

It took a little doing to unearth my blu-ray because of wire management...but I was able to try it on a 4k/HDR tv we bought for the kids for Christmas. It is an inexpensive LG. The colors seemed to be normal in HDR mode. I don't know why my Sony TV is having problems with my Sony Blu-ray....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 9959 Old 01-11-2020, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuie23 View Post
So I tried swapping the cables that go from the Apple TV 4k and the UBP to the receiver which is switching the HDMI inputs to the TV and the behavior stays with the UBP. This would seem to indicate that the problem is neither the HDMI cable itself nor the input to the receiver.

One thing I have noticed is that when I go to adjust the video mode on the TV when running the Apple TV it only allows for HDR. It doesn't allow me to select anything else. When I change it to the UBP it allows me to select any number of video modes. Would this imply that the output of the UBP is limited to not have HDR? I can't seem to find a setting on the UBP which causes this behavior to change.

Also, the colors on the main/home screen for the UBP are also off (it's not only when a movie is playing). I'm not sure if this provides any insight but I thought I'd share the point.

I have one of these Blu-ray player and it’s terrible at playing dvd and playing 4k Blu-ray on a non hdr tv . Is there some setting I can do to fix this ?

Reptilians invading in year 2027
Tesla spoken to them
post #9933 of 9959 Old 01-12-2020, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Whenever I play a SACD hybrid cd I only hear music output on my front speakers L/R. I have a 7.1 setup
Would anyone know if there is a setting I need to change.
Problem is only with SACD hybrid cd's

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9934 of 9959 Old 01-12-2020, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by solly46 View Post
Whenever I play a SACD hybrid cd I only hear music output on my front speakers L/R. I have a 7.1 setup
Would anyone know if there is a setting I need to change.
Problem is only with SACD hybrid cd's

Thanks in advance
From the X800 manual;

[Music Settings]

[Super Audio CD Playback Layer]
[Super Audio CD]: Plays the Super Audio CD layer.
[CD]: Plays the CD layer.

[Super Audio CD Playback Channel]
[DSD 2ch]: Plays the 2ch area.
[DSD Multi]: Plays the multi-channel area

HT TCL 55P605, BenQ W7000, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Pioneer SC-LX 701, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Pioneer UDP LX500, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
post #9935 of 9959 Old 01-14-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 454
NO PARTS FOR OUT OF WARRANTY REPAIRS.

My X-800 failed two months out of warranty. Called Sony. They said to contact UNITED RADIO. Contacted United Radio. They said fill out repair form located on their site and send unit. Sent unit. Next day after receipt by them got message: No parts for repair. All in warranty repairs filled by shipping replacement unit. Called United Radio. They said $18.50 shipping charge to return unit to me. Would have appreciated knowing this before I sent my unit.

BE ADVISED: Your defective X-800 will not be repaired by United Radio. Don't bother to send it.

This is my second Sony Blu Ray player to fail shortly after expiry of warranty. Threw the first one away. Should have done this with the second (and LAST Sony BR player I will buy).

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, FXiA4 Bi-pole sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #9936 of 9959 Old 01-14-2020, 02:58 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9663 Post(s)
Liked: 6353
I'm glad I got a four year extended warranty from BestBuy on my X800. I Got my player March 10th, 2017. So I still have around 14 months left on the warranty. Although my X800 has been great. So far it's been rock solid.
Ted99 and Oldways7 like this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9937 of 9959 Old 01-14-2020, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuie23 View Post
It took a little doing to unearth my blu-ray because of wire management...but I was able to try it on a 4k/HDR tv we bought for the kids for Christmas. It is an inexpensive LG. The colors seemed to be normal in HDR mode. I don't know why my Sony TV is having problems with my Sony Blu-ray....
On p. 21 in the manual, it mentions HDMI Deep Color output which is usually on I believe but it can be turned off if colors appear unnatural. I would also check your other video settings to make sure they are on the recommended ones in the manual.

Also, while you are watching a disc, pressing the Options key on the remote will bring up a popup menu with video settings being one and that should usually be on Direct. If you're using something else like Theatre Room, it can darken the picture. This feature is found on pp. 18-19 in the manual.
post #9938 of 9959 Old 01-14-2020, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackburn101 View Post
I have one of these Blu-ray player and it’s terrible at playing dvd and playing 4k Blu-ray on a non hdr tv . Is there some setting I can do to fix this ?

Reptilians invading in year 2027
Tesla spoken to them
I am replying with the same advice I gave to another poster. My player is connected to a 1080p set and has no issues with playback of any disc:

On p. 21 in the manual, it mentions HDMI Deep Color output which is usually on I believe but it can be turned off if colors appear unnatural. I would also check your other video settings to make sure they are on the recommended ones in the manual.

Also, while you are watching a disc, pressing the Options key on the remote will bring up a popup menu with video settings being one and that should usually be on Direct. If you're using something else like Theatre Room, it can darken the picture. This feature is found on pp. 17-18 in the manual.

As for the HDR discs, there is a setting you can change while watching the disc using the Options key on the remote, then select HDR Conversion and you can select a lighter or darker setting from there. Remember, under Video Settings, the Direct option should be selected to bypass all filtering etc. that can distort the image. Check p. 18 in the manual.
post #9939 of 9959 Old 01-18-2020, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 35
i am having problem with my player hanging up. i have to unplug and then replug for it to work again, it gets annoying now i want to @#[email protected]$#$ throw it at the wall.

i had this problem for a long time, 2 months after i bought the player in 2018 november, sony wanted me to send the player in but havent gotten to it. it is now out of warranty.

/just ranting
post #9940 of 9959 Old 01-20-2020, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysher View Post
i am having problem with my player hanging up. i have to unplug and then replug for it to work again, it gets annoying now i want to @#[email protected]$#$ throw it at the wall.
This usually hints to problems with the optical drive (laser).
I have no idea why does Sony’s software never time out on waiting for the optical drive to respond, effectivy locking up the whole device.
post #9941 of 9959 Old 01-20-2020, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysher View Post

i had this problem for a long time, 2 months after i bought the player in 2018 november, sony wanted me to send the player in but havent gotten to it. it is now out of warranty.

/just ranting
Mine used to randomly hang up, it was hooked up with Ethernet, I removed the Ethernet cable and have not had any hang ups since, this was over a year ago. It is not networked at all now ether wireless or wired.
post #9942 of 9959 Old 01-20-2020, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Yes, there have been posts in this thread which make recommendations on certain extraneous and unnecessary "Networking" and other Menu type settings which seem to be successful in stopping the 800 from randomly locking up... without having to totally disconnect from a network also...
post #9943 of 9959 Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I may have missed it, but I haven't seen mention of the problem I have with the X800.

If I use it to stream 4K Netflix, it works nicely. But when I exit Netflix, I get a black screen and no button pushes on the remote can recover from that. I have to power-cycle the player if I want to use it again in the same session. My player is hardwired to Ethernet.

Is this typical, or just me?
post #9944 of 9959 Old 01-20-2020, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
I may have missed it, but I haven't seen mention of the problem I have with the X800.

If I use it to stream 4K Netflix, it works nicely. But when I exit Netflix, I get a black screen and no button pushes on the remote can recover from that. I have to power-cycle the player if I want to use it again in the same session. My player is hardwired to Ethernet.

Is this typical, or just me?
Doesn't sound typical to me... it seems more like a HDMI handshake issue between your 800 and your display when you switch from the 4K Netflix app source back to the home screen's default resolution. Curious as to what happens if during the black screen, you reseat the HDMI cable or power toggle the display? Or I suppose a receiver could be inducing a problem during this changeover too....if you have one in your signal chain?
post #9945 of 9959 Old 01-20-2020, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Doesn't sound typical to me... it seems more like a HDMI handshake issue between your 800 and your display when you switch from the 4K Netflix app source back to the home screen's default resolution. Curious as to what happens if during the black screen, you reseat the HDMI cable or power toggle the display? Or I suppose a receiver could be inducing a problem during this changeover too....if you have one in your signal chain?
X800 feeds into Marantz AV8805 preamp to Sony VPL-VW600ES projector.

You are probably right about HDMI handshake. But I don't see the usual symptoms of struggle to reconnect. It goes black and stays black, with the 600ES "no signal" icon.

Power toggling the projector is not really an option. It is faster to power toggle the player. And fiddling with cables with power on makes me nervous. So the next thing to try is switching inputs back and forth on the preamp. Sometimes that works in other bad handshake situations.
post #9946 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Help. Especially people in Canada?

I subscribed to Disney+. My son has been watching it on our iPad.

I tried to see if I could download the app through my X800 and it's not even there. In fact, I can download NO apps.

I looked into it and it seems the Canadian X800s are locked for apps downloading.

WTF kind of service is this?
Is there some sort of unlocking trick I can perform to unlock apps like Amazon and Disney +?

I wanted to watch Mandalorian in my basement on my x800. And now it seems I cannot.

Proud Member of "Bass-a-holic Anonymous" - Dual Bottle of Choice: SVS PC-13 Ultra + SVS PC-12 NSD. Drink of Choice: Ready Player One Delorean Race
DaLite 0.9 Grey 110" screen. Epson 3000 1080P Projection. 7.2 SVS and Energy Reference + Parasound THX Ultra Amplification system.
post #9947 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post
Help. Especially people in Canada?

I subscribed to Disney+. My son has been watching it on our iPad.

I tried to see if I could download the app through my X800 and it's not even there. In fact, I can download NO apps.

I looked into it and it seems the Canadian X800s are locked for apps downloading.

WTF kind of service is this?
Is there some sort of unlocking trick I can perform to unlock apps like Amazon and Disney +?

I wanted to watch Mandalorian in my basement on my x800. And now it seems I cannot.
The Sony HDR bluray players do not have an "app store" available that you can download any apps from. Apps are only provided through firmware upgrades, meaning the app producer needs to enter into a marketing agreement with Sony to get their apps added to the next firmware release. You will need an external streamer such as a Roku or FireTV.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9948 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Thank you. Do I connect Roku to the sony so the apps can be seen through the Sony or is separately launched?

Pardon my ignorance. I'm not very familiar with the streaming services
post #9949 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post
Thank you. Do I connect Roku to the sony so the apps can be seen through the Sony or is separately launched?

Pardon my ignorance. I'm not very familiar with the streaming services
Are you using an AVR? If so you would plug the Roku into one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR. The Sony would not be used.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #9950 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
X800 feeds into Marantz AV8805 preamp to Sony VPL-VW600ES projector.

You are probably right about HDMI handshake. But I don't see the usual symptoms of struggle to reconnect. It goes black and stays black, with the 600ES "no signal" icon.

Power toggling the projector is not really an option. It is faster to power toggle the player. And fiddling with cables with power on makes me nervous. So the next thing to try is switching inputs back and forth on the preamp. Sometimes that works in other bad handshake situations.
Switching inputs on the preamp worked. I had to switch back and forth a couple of times, and then the X800 finally woke up.

Do any of you read the magazine Widescreen Review? Lately there has been a series of articles written by a guy who apparently serves or served on some HDMI design committee. When you read his articles, it is clear that he thinks HDMI is good! As if!
post #9951 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Switching inputs on the preamp worked. I had to switch back and forth a couple of times, and then the X800 finally woke up.

Do any of you read the magazine Widescreen Review? Lately there has been a series of articles written by a guy who apparently serves or served on some HDMI design committee. When you read his articles, it is clear that he thinks HDMI is good! As if!
HDMI=Good, HDCP not so much. Most of the problems blamed on HDMI are caused by the HDCP encryption and content protection "features".
aaronwt likes this.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9952 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
HDMI=Good, HDCP not so much. Most of the problems blamed on HDMI are caused by the HDCP encryption and content protection "features".
High-bandwidth digital copyright protection is the bane of all of our existences LOL.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Cheddarhead likes this.
post #9953 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HDMI plugs & sockets suck badly. As long as they had to design new connectors, they should have made them lock or snap into place.
post #9954 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
HDMI plugs & sockets suck badly. As long as they had to design new connectors, they should have made them lock or snap into place.
Yes, I agree. Maybe even have two thumb screws to securely attach to the equipment HDMI port. Like the DVI connection used. This would greatly reduce any strain on the equipments HDMI port. To maintain a positive seated HDMI connection and protect against any load being applied to the HDMI port.

It’s wise to be VERY careful when installing and positioning to not twist or bend the HDMI cable after connecting as to not put a load or strain on the equipments HDMI port.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #9955 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Yes, I agree. Maybe even have two thumb screws to securely attach to the equipment HDMI port. Like the DVI connection used. This would greatly reduce any strain on the equipments HDMI port. To maintain a positive seated HDMI connection and protect against any load being applied to the HDMI port.

It’s wise to be VERY careful when installing and positioning to not twist or bend the HDMI cable after connecting as to not put a load or strain on the equipments HDMI port.
I would rather have a friction fit as that allows the plug to come out without damaging the port should your for some reason you snag a cable while moving equipment, I've damaged more than one RJ port through this scenario. YMMV

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #9956 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
I would rather have a friction fit as that allows the plug to come out without damaging the port should your for some reason you snag a cable while moving equipment, I've damaged more than one RJ port through this scenario. YMMV
I don’t necessarily disagree. But those individual HDMI connectors (memory fails me. I think it carries 28 individual channels both audio, video and data of info.) Are VERY tiny and could be damaged if the snagged cable was twisted or cocked in a way to put a load on the individual connector’s.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #9957 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
NO PARTS FOR OUT OF WARRANTY REPAIRS.

My X-800 failed two months out of warranty. Called Sony. They said to contact UNITED RADIO. Contacted United Radio. They said fill out repair form located on their site and send unit. Sent unit. Next day after receipt by them got message: No parts for repair. All in warranty repairs filled by shipping replacement unit. Called United Radio. They said $18.50 shipping charge to return unit to me. Would have appreciated knowing this before I sent my unit.

BE ADVISED: Your defective X-800 will not be repaired by United Radio. Don't bother to send it.

This is my second Sony Blu Ray player to fail shortly after expiry of warranty. Threw the first one away. Should have done this with the second (and LAST Sony BR player I will buy).
This really ticks me off. Mine is the same. I called Sony and the guy I spoke with opened a case, then told me to try the USB update, he was explicit about the steps I needed to take. He added that if I call back and report that I did this that Sony "would take care of me despite the unit being out of warranty". I called back today after trying the steps with no success and the new guy admitted it was a brick and would cost more to fix than it is worth. He said he would send me an email directing me to Sony Customer Care but that hasn't been received yet - it's been several hours.

I know when you buy these things you run the risk of it breaking within 2 years, but mainly bummed about the UHD collection I've amassed in the mean-time...
post #9958 of 9959 Old 01-22-2020, 10:11 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9663 Post(s)
Liked: 6353
Quote:
It's still tons better than the old days where we used component cables and optical cables. I never looked back after I started switching my devices to HDMI fifteen years ago.

Sent from my Tab A 10.1

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 02:52 PM.
post #9959 of 9959 Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked: 2145
Price and deals talk are not permitted outside of the deal's area.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page