OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 335 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25459Likes

post #10021 of 10048 Old 05-04-2020, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I have mine set to native resolution and no upscaling. Going through a Denon x6200w and Ruipro fiber hdmi to a Benq HT3550. No issues.
Maybe try that and see if it helps.
Good luck!

Thanks for quick reply, So in screen settings you select Native resolution? And no upscaling and you get 4K signal to your Benq? If this is case your getting a 4K picture?

I have all screen settings set to Auto on UBP 800 can you be a bit more specific please what should not be on Auto so I can try a new combination. I may be missing something obvious I hope.

thanks

Oil Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10022 of 10048 Old 05-05-2020, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Country View Post
Hi I just hooked my Sony X800 to my new 4K Epson 6040UB projector via my Anthem AVM -60 which is 4k complainant went to test some of my 4K discs and unfortunately only get 1920 x 1080 resolution to projector, the picture quality is dark and poor also as compares nothing to my Apple 4K TV or Prime or Netflix 4K sources connected via same way just other inputs on Anthem.

Which is super odd as you would expect and UHD disc to look better than a streamed source.

Whats even more odd is the home screen is on Sony is 3840 x 2160 as well as the You tube videos app on player is displaying in 4K, the picture is much better, tried every possible combination of different inputs two different High Monoprice Premium HDMI cables to player and no luck at all.

I think I tired every combination of settings on player too. Any advice or tips here greatly appreciated as very frustated with the inability of this Sony player to play 4K discs which was the reason for purchasing it in the first place.

Thanks In Advance

Oil Country

Did you try multiple disks and ensure that you were using the 4K UHD disk, not the HD Blue Ray disk that usually comes packaged with the UHD disk? More than one of us has made that mistake.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #10023 of 10048 Old 05-05-2020, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 5699
Quote:
Thanks for quick reply, So in screen settings you select Native resolution? And no upscaling and you get 4K signal to your Benq? If this is case your getting a 4K picture?

I have all screen settings set to Auto on UBP 800 can you be a bit more specific please what should not be on Auto so I can try a new combination. I may be missing something obvious I hope.

thanks

Oil Country
Yes that's correct. I will double check my settings when I get home later and put up a screenshot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10024 of 10048 Old 05-05-2020, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Yes that's correct. I will double check my settings when I get home later and put up a screenshot.
So here is the latest from Sony, Epson and Anthem.

I made it to a Level three advisor, he seemed quite knowledgable he basically said first of all with the Home or Flash screen he would expect a 4K signal or resolution however when you actually play a disk some HCDP handshaking occurs so is actually a different beast all together basically. We tried ever combination of setting including taking Anthem out of picture too.

He wanted me to bring Sony to projector and run a very short Premium High Speed 18 GB cable directly and see if I could get a 4K picture in Epson, that would evoke a big process as right now. Instead I extended some high speed HDMI cables to projector but still 1920 x 1080 resolution was being displayed.

My next tests will be the following three options

1) To purchase one single length Premium HDMI cable approximately 25 if have to run through ceiling again and run it to projector outside right now just as test length and if displays 4K run through ceiling as fix to problem

2)Purchase a another 4K blue ray player to test current set up with 2010 Monoprice 1.4 HDMi cable already in ceiling, basically just swap out player.

( Any suggestions on player that will work? ) with my current set up of 25 feet Monoprice 1.4 HDMI cable

3) Bring projector down to Sony and run short Premium 18 GB cable directly and see if get any different results

Any advice on what you think will work with above 3 options? Or I am wasting my time or money on?

PS on Sony player was getting a BT2020 HDR signal and on Apple TV was getting a BT. 709 SDR signal not sure what the differences are what settings I have set up for this to happen?

Thanks

Oil Country
post #10025 of 10048 Old 05-05-2020, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So here is the latest from Sony, Epson and Anthem.

I made it to a Level three advisor, he seemed quite knowledgable he basically said first of all with the Home or Flash screen he would expect a 4K signal or resolution however when you actually play a disk some HCDP handshaking occurs so is actually a different beast all together basically. We tried ever combination of setting including taking Anthem out of picture too.

He wanted me to bring Sony to projector and run a very short Premium High Speed 18 GB cable directly and see if I could get a 4K picture in Epson, that would evoke a big process as right now. Instead I extended some high speed HDMI cables to projector but still 1920 x 1080 resolution was being displayed.

My next tests will be the following three options

1) To purchase one single length Premium HDMI cable approximately 25 if have to run through ceiling again and run it to projector outside right now just as test length and if displays 4K run through ceiling as fix to problem

2)Purchase a another 4K blue ray player to test current set up with 2010 Monoprice 1.4 HDMi cable already in ceiling, basically just swap out player.

( Any suggestions on player that will work? ) with my current set up of 25 feet Monoprice 1.4 HDMI cable

3) Bring projector down to Sony and run short Premium 18 GB cable directly and see if get any different results

Any advice on what you think will work with above 3 options? Or I am wasting my time or money on?

PS on Sony player was getting a BT2020 HDR signal and on Apple TV was getting a BT. 709 SDR signal not sure what the differences are what settings I have set up for this to happen?

Thanks

Oil Country
Here are my settings. I'm thinking you may have to try a certified premium hdmi cable, me personally I'm using Ruipro fiber hdmi's for both my 35 foot pj run and even for my 900e.
post #10026 of 10048 Old 05-07-2020, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Steger View Post
I've been trying to update my player to the latest FW (M36.R.0338) but each time I try it, the player shuts off before the update begins. I then have to click the power button to turn it back on in order for the update to start. However, the update never gets past 0% and always fails, even when clicking OK to try and do it again. If I hit Cancel on the Update Failed screen the player shuts off. I have tried this with both over my wireless connection and a USB drive, after downloading the update from Sony's official site. (I've confirmed the file is not corrupted and I am using a 4 gb USB drive after formatting it to FAT 32 and deleting all other files from the drive per Sony)

I talked to technical support about it and went through ALL of the steps they recommended. They then told me there is nothing I can do and that since my system is out of warranty (bought it November 2017), I'd have to pay for the repair. (No thank you)

Here are the steps I am encountering when trying to update the player (Both online and USB Drive)
1. Select Software Update
2. Select either update via internet or update via USB Memory (Same issue occurs in both circumstances)
3. "Do you want to Update the software" - Select Ok
4. Select Start
5. Screen goes blank, appears the system restarts and then shuts down
6. I hit the power button in order for it to come back on
7. Screen show the Software Update has started screen
8. Sits at 0% for a minute or less
9. Goes to Update Failed screen
10. If I hit 'OK' to restart it, the same thing occurs. If I select Cancel the system shuts down

I have reset it to factory settings, unplugged the player, made sure the quick setup option is turned off and have tried all of these steps more than a dozen times.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, or know what the problem might be?
I'm having this same problem with my unit. Is there a known fix? I read someone's comment about how you should unplug it for 3 hours to clear the NV memory, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Can the device be opened up to clear the memory, or are there any hidden commands to reset it beyond what is available in the setup menu? I have tried resetting all settings and rebooting, but I get the same symptom.

Also, in terms of the USB update, are there any quirks to getting that to work? I've tried both FAT32 and NTFS on 8gb and 16gb sticks. I get the same problem where after telling the system to update it simply crashes (powers down).

Any feedback would be much appreciated
post #10027 of 10048 Old 05-08-2020, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Watching Midway on 4k uhd i had to reset my x800 after it froze. Ready player one, the same with the 4k. Realy bad Sony!. Also, still many times lip sync issues with regular blu ray playback. Well ive had it with Sony. Going Panasonic now...
post #10028 of 10048 Old 05-08-2020, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can this player browse video files on a network share like an Oppo 103? I have a 103, but the BD laser is burned out so I wasn't planning to use it anymore. Might need it for streaming my files from PC though if I move and set things up different.
post #10029 of 10048 Old 05-08-2020, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishAnarchist View Post
Can this player browse video files on a network share like an Oppo 103? I have a 103, but the BD laser is burned out so I wasn't planning to use it anymore. Might need it for streaming my files from PC though if I move and set things up different.
DLNA will work if you have the PC acting as a DLNA server.
post #10030 of 10048 Old 05-08-2020, 01:42 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9917 Post(s)
Liked: 6550
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I can browse the content from my HD and UHD plex servers.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10031 of 10048 Old 05-08-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I can browse the content from my HD and UHD plex servers.
That would be because you've enabled the DLNA function in Plex.
post #10032 of 10048 Old 05-08-2020, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I didn't ask about DLNA. I asked about standard network shares (Samba). I run Kubuntu with a 10TB linux softraid.
post #10033 of 10048 Old 05-08-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't ask about DLNA. I asked about standard network shares (Samba). I run Kubuntu with a 10TB linux softraid.
I offered what DOES work, and is easy. If you have a linux build server, you can add DLNA services if you can't find a SAMBA (SMB) client.

I've learned to take the simpler path when possible because chasing things down and trying to force it leads to too much instability.
post #10034 of 10048 Old 05-09-2020, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 159
No, the UBP does not browse network shares of any sort.
Quote:
If you have a linux build server, you can add DLNA services if you can't find a SAMBA (SMB) client.
Do you have a plan for how to install SMB client (or any sideloaded software) onto this BD player?
post #10035 of 10048 Old 05-09-2020, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
Probably not because he said he prefers to use dlna Since it is there and works.

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
post #10036 of 10048 Old 05-09-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post
I'm having this same problem with my unit. Is there a known fix? I read someone's comment about how you should unplug it for 3 hours to clear the NV memory, but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Can the device be opened up to clear the memory, or are there any hidden commands to reset it beyond what is available in the setup menu? I have tried resetting all settings and rebooting, but I get the same symptom.

Also, in terms of the USB update, are there any quirks to getting that to work? I've tried both FAT32 and NTFS on 8gb and 16gb sticks. I get the same problem where after telling the system to update it simply crashes (powers down).

Any feedback would be much appreciated
Bump! Any help here? It appears this is a long standing issue spanning numerous models over the past several years.

I did open the device up and disconnected power supply for a few minutes, no change in behavior. Are there any hidden menu commands or tricks to doing a factory reset? I'm stuck on the original 173 FW.
post #10037 of 10048 Old 05-12-2020, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to bernievink
Quote:
Bump! Any help here? It appears this is a long standing issue spanning numerous models over the past several years.

I did open the device up and disconnected power supply for a few minutes, no change in behavior. Are there any hidden menu commands or tricks to doing a factory reset? I'm stuck on the original 173 FW.
Seeing the current firmware is version M36.R.0338
It is highly recommended that you try to bring your unit up to date.
You may find some of your problems disappear after you do.
but be aware that the latest firmware defaults to 4K signal @ 4/4/4 color.
some displays cant show that.

This is from Sony's website.

"The video output resolution of the Blu-ray Disc player may be set to an option that is not compatible with the TV. Depending on your model, one of the following steps will reset the resolution to the lowest setting:

Press and hold the Volume - (Volume down) button and the Play button together.

Press the Stop button for more than 10 seconds.

Press STOP - HOME - POP UP/MENU on the remote controller to reset the output video resolution to the lowest resolution.

Press the VIDEO FORMAT button on the remote controller repeatedly until the picture appears correctly.

NOTE: Once the video signal appears, the video output resolution setting can be adjusted from the menu of the Blu-ray Disc player."

Samsung UA60KU6000WXXY TV, Sony STR#dh770 Receiver with wall, ceiling, and floor mounted 7.1 Sony Speaker system, Sony UBP-X800 Ultra HD Blu-ray™/DVD Player

Last edited by bernievink; 05-12-2020 at 12:22 AM.
post #10038 of 10048 Old 05-12-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernievink View Post
Seeing the current firmware is version M36.R.0338
It is highly recommended that you try to bring your unit up to date.
You may find some of your problems disappear after you do.
but be aware that the latest firmware defaults to 4K signal @ 4/4/4 color.
some displays cant show that.

This is from Sony's website.

"The video output resolution of the Blu-ray Disc player may be set to an option that is not compatible with the TV. Depending on your model, one of the following steps will reset the resolution to the lowest setting:

Press and hold the Volume - (Volume down) button and the Play button together.

Press the Stop button for more than 10 seconds.

Press STOP - HOME - POP UP/MENU on the remote controller to reset the output video resolution to the lowest resolution.

Press the VIDEO FORMAT button on the remote controller repeatedly until the picture appears correctly.

NOTE: Once the video signal appears, the video output resolution setting can be adjusted from the menu of the Blu-ray Disc player."
Thanks, is the suggestion that my issues updating the firmware could be tied to the resolution/chroma settings? I can't even get it to update, so hoping for information on how to clear the NV memory reliably on their proprietary motherboard. There doesn't seem to be any clear guidance on how that is performed.
post #10039 of 10048 Old 05-13-2020, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Send a message via Skype™ to bernievink
Quote:
Thanks, is the suggestion that my issues updating the firmware could be tied to the resolution/chroma settings? I can't even get it to update, so hoping for information on how to clear the NV memory reliably on their proprietary motherboard. There doesn't seem to be any clear guidance on how that is performed.
The video info was for if you managed to do the update.
If the sole reason for your problem is the inability to do any update at all, you have two options return to Sony for a fix or trash it.

Samsung UA60KU6000WXXY TV, Sony STR#dh770 Receiver with wall, ceiling, and floor mounted 7.1 Sony Speaker system, Sony UBP-X800 Ultra HD Blu-ray™/DVD Player
post #10040 of 10048 Old 05-19-2020, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hello. Very quick question: I'm upgrading to a DOLBY VISION player but, in the mean time, for watching movies that are not available in DV, such as Blade Runner or MAD MAX (2015) can the X800 reproduce those movies at it's best HDR10 or is it limited to only HDR? I'm reading the X800 is HDR10 capable, but since I bought it in 2018 I have not done any firmware upgrade so I don't know if I'm getting HDR10 or not? Thank you very much!
post #10041 of 10048 Old 05-19-2020, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
Yes, HDR10 from DV disks.
obonillaf likes this.

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
post #10042 of 10048 Old 05-19-2020, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post
...reproduce those movies at it's best HDR10 or is it limited to only HDR?
How do you mean that?
There are only 3 HDR formats defined for Bluray - HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. There is no HDR without HDR10 in the consumer Bluray world.
obonillaf likes this.
post #10043 of 10048 Old 05-19-2020, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
How do you mean that?
There are only 3 HDR formats defined for Bluray - HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision. There is no HDR without HDR10 in the consumer Bluray world.
Thank you very much for your explanation. In my ignorance, I thought HDR and DOLBY VISION were competing brands and now I understand the "competition" is between HDR10/HDR10+ and DOLBY VISION.
post #10044 of 10048 Old 05-20-2020, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I have mine set to native resolution and no upscaling. Going through a Denon x6200w and Ruipro fiber hdmi to a Benq HT3550. No issues.
Maybe try that and see if it helps.
Good luck!
Anyone here know what a folder symbol next to the disc icon on the home screen means? I just got a copy of fargo remastered on Blu ray, and no issues with the disc, but when I put the disc in the player I noticed that there was a folder icon next to to it. This is the first time I've ever seen it.

75" Sony Z9F
Receiver: Onkyo 686, Center channel: Klipsch RP-404C, front speakers: Klipsch RP-8000F's, Surrounds: Klipsch RP-500M's, Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
Roku ultra, Xbox one X, PS4 PRO, Sony UBP-X800
post #10045 of 10048 Old 05-20-2020, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeisenbergABQ View Post
Anyone here know what a folder symbol next to the disc icon on the home screen means? I just got a copy of fargo remastered on Blu ray, and no issues with the disc, but when I put the disc in the player I noticed that there was a folder icon next to to it. This is the first time I've ever seen it.
From Page 15:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 08.27.05.png
Views:	83
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2730108  
nathan_h and Dartman like this.
post #10046 of 10048 Old 05-22-2020, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Guys quick question hopefully someone can explain this in more detail. Whats the difference between display type tv and projector? Obviously its pretty self explanatory which to choose but what does it do exactly? I have a x950g on my marantz receiver monitor 1 and my benq ht3050 on my monitor 2.
post #10047 of 10048 Old 05-22-2020, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssj3Gokulegend! View Post
Guys quick question hopefully someone can explain this in more detail. Whats the difference between display type tv and projector? Obviously its pretty self explanatory which to choose but what does it do exactly? I have a x950g on my marantz receiver monitor 1 and my benq ht3050 on my monitor 2.
I've heard it's best to just leave it on tv, both for tv and pj. I have with my 900e and Benq HT3550 and everything works and looks great.
nathan_h and Hetfieldjames like this.
post #10048 of 10048 Old 05-22-2020, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssj3Gokulegend! View Post
I am assuming that the 800 is attempting to adjust its HDR conversion to better match up with your type of display... between a projector with lesser overall brightness or overall dynamic range capability as compared to a TV display?

x[HDR Output]
[Auto]: Outputs HDR signal depending on
contents and HDMI-SINK capability.
Conversion function is applied when content
is HDR and HDMI-SINK does not support HDR.
[Off]: Always output SDR.
x[Display Type]
[TV]: Select this when the player is connected
to TV.
[Projector]: Select this when the player is
connected to Projector.
z
[HDR Conversion] will be adjusted according to
the display type you select. Even though same
setting value of [HDR Conversion] is selected,
dynamic range of picture is different.
vn800art likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , amazon prime video , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony bdp-x800 , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page