OFFICIAL Sony UBP-X800 Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25408Likes

post #2551 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by goksucats View Post
So I remember you agreeing with me on my original ambivalence about HDR after viewing Star Trek Beyond, which did look better but not so much that it made me feel like I wasted $300 on a marginal improvement over what I had before. Last night I popped in Hacksaw Ridge UltraHD Blu-ray and watched for a while.. and it nearly made my eyes pop out how amazing it looked. Then I popped in the standard Blu-ray which.. up to that point had been the only way I could watch the film. It was at that moment last night that I realized what a game changer HDR and particularly WCG can be. Do yourself a favor.. and watch this film. I was amazed, particularly once into the second half of the film. The Blu-ray, which I thought looked amazing up until that point, suddenly looked dull and lifeless in comparison. The brightness is nice, and the specular highlights at times in that film will jump out at you. But it's more the WCG which really ups the wow factor.
so your saying I have another disc to buy now? hobby is getting expensive...well last night I found some other youtube 4k HDR clips. mostly nature stuff. some stated 8k next to description too. But these were much better than the others I looked at. big difference in picture, I thought this is what I was expecting all along. Again my HDR viewing is limited. but if more discs and streaming keep looking like these, than I will be very happy. I did the update last night on the player- took two times ( over hard line). I haven't tried to play a disc yet though. hopefully no glitches as others have stated.
goksucats likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDman18 View Post
See guys. Told you it varies wildly depending on the content. Check out Lucy, Pacific Rim, and Planet Eath II for more great HDR examples. And The Revenant for a great example of very subtle, natural looking HDR.
planet earth II on my list to get for sure. especially if it looks like some of the recent nature stuff I was streaming last night.
post #2553 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
Updated the FW without a glitch, however, did not receive the updated Apps yet. Wondering if that part is rolling out in waves. I'm in South Carolina.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Must be. My 'update services' showed up 24 hrs after I had downloaded the FW. Long after others said they received the new apps.
Oldways7 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
For upscaling, you should really do some of your own testing and determine where the upscaling being done gives the best results. For me, I quite like the upscaling capabilities in my 940D set, so I have the X800 set to "Native Resolution" (which is only valid for discs) and upscaling turned off. I don't use the built-in apps on the X800, so that part doesn't matter to me.

If the upscaling capabilities of your TV or projector are on par or better than that of the X800 (which is very good in its own right), then use the external device to upscale. Otherwise, upscaling in the X800 probably makes the most sense. The best way to know, however, is to use your own typical media sources and watch things with both configurations to determine which you prefer.
Thanks, not quite my question

The upscaling on the RS420 is superior to the X800; that much I have tested and know (I used to have a 940D, as well, great upscaler).

My question is regarding why the X800 continues to upscale 1080P Netflix content when I have it set to only send out "Native resolution".

When you turn on the x800 its own HOME menu is in 4k (which is silly, but fine, I'll take it - sharp icons, I guess and fewer res changes). If you go from there to a BD disc, it stops sending out 4K and sends out native 1080P (which is great). If I then go to Netflix directly from the BD disc, I get 1080p Netflix content in 1080p output to the projector (what I expect).

In many (maybe all?) occasions, if I go to the HOME screen of the player (which switches back to 4k output for the home menu) and then enter Netflix and play a 1080p show (Friends, for example), the player *continues* outputting an upscaled video stream @4k, even though the content is 1080p. 1080 upscaled (by the player) shows to my projector, which then kicks in E-Shift, looks much worse than a vanilla 1080p show.

I can't figure out how to get the player to correctly output the actual content, regardless of if it is a disc or network/app source.

Media Room: JVC DLA-RS420, ST 125" 2.35:1 screen, Denon AVR-x4300h, Outlaw Audio 7125, Sony UBP-X800, Klipsch RF-7ii fronts, RC-64ii center, RS-62ii x2 surrounds && RS-41ii x2 backs, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x2 subs, Micca M-8C heights, ATV 4K

Living Room: 65" Sony XBR65X900E; Sonos Playbase
post #2555 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
Thanks, not quite my question

The upscaling on the RS420 is superior to the X800; that much I have tested and know (I used to have a 940D, as well, great upscaler).

My question is regarding why the X800 continues to upscale 1080P Netflix content when I have it set to only send out "Native resolution".

When you turn on the x800 its own HOME menu is in 4k (which is silly, but fine, I'll take it - sharp icons, I guess and fewer res changes). If you go from there to a BD disc, it stops sending out 4K and sends out native 1080P (which is great). If I then go to Netflix directly from the BD disc, I get 1080p Netflix content in 1080p output to the projector (what I expect).

In many (maybe all?) occasions, if I go to the HOME screen of the player (which switches back to 4k output for the home menu) and then enter Netflix and play a 1080p show (Friends, for example), the player *continues* outputting an upscaled video stream @4k, even though the content is 1080p. 1080 upscaled (by the player) shows to my projector, which then kicks in E-Shift, looks much worse than a vanilla 1080p show.

I can't figure out how to get the player to correctly output the actual content, regardless of if it is a disc or network/app source.

Native Resolution only applies to disc based content. Otherwise the streaming stuff is being upscaled. I believe that was already answered not too far back.
aflorida likes this.
post #2556 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Native Resolution only applies to disc based content. Otherwise the streaming stuff is being upscaled. I believe that was already answered not too far back.
Thanks - Tried searching; didn't find anything about turning off upscaling of apps. I want native resolution of apps as well. If netflix is 1080, I want 1080. If the stream bumps up to 4k because it's a 4k show, I want 4k.

Media Room: JVC DLA-RS420, ST 125" 2.35:1 screen, Denon AVR-x4300h, Outlaw Audio 7125, Sony UBP-X800, Klipsch RF-7ii fronts, RC-64ii center, RS-62ii x2 surrounds && RS-41ii x2 backs, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x2 subs, Micca M-8C heights, ATV 4K

Living Room: 65" Sony XBR65X900E; Sonos Playbase
post #2557 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
The LG isn't even in the same league as the Sony.

The LG is more in line with the Samsung.
Are you saying that the Sony is far superior to the Samsung? I have the Samsung and considering getting the Sony, but I have been happy with the Samsung. The Samsung has excelling upscaling of blurays, but I have nothing to compare it to with respect to 4k discs. Do you or have you had the Samsung? I know the Sony is built much better, but I'm skeptical that the Sony would offer a significant picture quality upgrade on 4k discs. If you could explain in more detail how the Sony is in a different league than the Samsung, I would appreciate the info. I have a 65 LG Oled EF9500 currently.

LG 65EF9500: Panasonic UB820; Sony UBP-X800; Oppo 105D; Denon 7200WA; Polk LSI; Axiom Audio M5HP; SVS SB-13 Ultra; John 3:16;
post #2558 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
The LG isn't even in the same league as the Sony.

The LG is more in line with the Samsung.
Are you saying that the Sony is far superior to the Samsung? I have the Samsung and considering getting the Sony, but I have been happy with the Samsung. The Samsung has excelling upscaling of blurays, but I have nothing to compare it to with respect to 4k discs. Do you or have you had the Samsung? I know the Sony is built much better, but I'm skeptical that the Sony would offer a significant picture quality upgrade on 4k discs. If you could explain in more detail how the Sony is in a different league than the Samsung, I would appreciate the info. I have a 65 LG Oled EF9500 currently.
I agree the Sony is the more superior player! I had the Samsung and I now have the Sony.
As far PQ the Sony is slightly better but if you compare all the players on the market right now PQ is pretty much almost even across the board except maybe the Panasonic which I had owned also and has thee best PQ period imo.
But if you compare the Sony and Samsung aside from PQ. Sony has it beat in every category! Build quality, Audio, more detailed playback info and most importantly for me at least , you can play with the video settings alot more, than the Samsung, you have more options.

Last edited by bobbino421; 04-27-2017 at 04:49 PM.
post #2559 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 04:32 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9428 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
The Samsung is a nice player. I used one for over 13 months and enjoyed it during that time. But it has undefeatable Noise Reduction that is applied to the playback. So when I got the X800, the difference was immediately noticeable. The X800 has a sharper picture from UHD BDs.
Plus the X800 is a much quieter player. And I never really liked the curved shape of the Samsung player either.

I also like the disc playback info that the X800 player shows. Video and audio bitrate, output framerate, etc. Which the Samsung doesn't show.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2560 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
I agree the Sony is the more superior player! I had the Samsung and I now have the Sony.
As far PQ the Sony is slightly better but if you compare all the players on the market right now PQ is pretty much almost even across the board except maybe the Panasonic which I had owned also and has thee best PQ period imo.
But if you compare the Sony and Samsung aside from PQ. Sony has it beat in every category! Build quality, Audio, more detailed playback info and most importantly for me at least , you can play with the video settings alot more, than the Samsung, you have more options.
Thank you for your input. I had the Panasonic for a short time. The Panasonic is a better 4K disc player, but I did not think the Panasonic was 3x better than the Samsung, so I returned the Panny. I paid $176 for the samsung at Costco. Now the Sony is only $100 (approx) more than the Samsung, so I see that price differential as more justifiable.

LG 65EF9500: Panasonic UB820; Sony UBP-X800; Oppo 105D; Denon 7200WA; Polk LSI; Axiom Audio M5HP; SVS SB-13 Ultra; John 3:16;
post #2561 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Samsung is a nice player. I used one for over 13 months and enjoyed it during that time. But it has undefeatable Noise Reduction that is applied to the playback. So when I got the X800, the difference was immediately noticeable. The X800 has a sharper picture from UHD BDs.
Plus the X800 is a much quieter player. And I never really liked the curved shape of the Samsung player either.

I also like the disc playback info that the X800 player shows. Video and audio bitrate, output framerate, etc. Which the Samsung doesn't show.
Thank you for your input. I agree the lack of basic video and audio display info on the Sammy is a bummer.

post #2562 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
Quote:
Thanks - Tried searching; didn't find anything about turning off upscaling of apps. I want native resolution of apps as well. If netflix is 1080, I want 1080. If the stream bumps up to 4k because it's a 4k show, I want 4k.
Currently this is not possible unless you fix the output resilution each time or do your BD trick.
post #2563 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I got this yesterday at my local Worst Buy (Oiler country) and the Sony rep was there. He guaranteed me that this unit is getting an update for Dolby Vision.........and I believe him. Nice unit so far......I don't like the lack of a front display at all.......no Amazon Video in Canada yet, even though all of their TV's have it?? Video quality is fine, but is definitely not up to the Panasonic std on any disc formats. Much more testing to come.
post #2564 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1736 Post(s)
Liked: 4979
Wowzers! YouTube hdr videos are pretty insane!
LDBetaGuy likes this.
post #2565 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dude View Post
I am stubbornly persistent to a fault, and yet somehow I am embarrassed to admit how many dozens of times I have tried to get the firmware update over the past two days, with no luck. This is 100% the definition of insanity. Shame on you Sony for wasting your customers' time like this. Ughhh......
Try a system reset - restore all factory defaults, then redo system setup. Might clear out some stubborn misconfiguration from memory.

Make sure to turn off fast start mode when doing firmware update, and always let it completely finish and return to home screen before touching anything.
Pixel Dude likes this.

Last edited by Geraldius; 04-27-2017 at 06:03 PM.
post #2566 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffo4kooch View Post
Must be. My 'update services' showed up 24 hrs after I had downloaded the FW. Long after others said they received the new apps.
Finally received my update services this evening. All is good.

yanks1 likes this.
post #2567 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldius View Post
Try a system reset - restore all factory defaults, then redo system setup. Might clear out some stubborn misconfiguration from memory.

Make sure to turn off fast start mode when doing firmware update, and always let it completely finish and return to home screen before touching anything.
Thanks. I've done the full reset three times already, including again this morning. I always have the fast start turned off. Hmnnnn...
post #2568 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
planet earth II on my list to get for sure. especially if it looks like some of the recent nature stuff I was streaming last night.
It looks really good. As always, some shots are a bit noisier than others due to the types of cameras they use and especially in low lighting, but for the most part it looks amazing. Get ready for a level of color and contrast that you likely have never seen before in a home video release.
post #2569 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennebob View Post
Finally received my update services this evening. All is good.

You can force a service update at any time my selecting a app, then hitting options and update services from the main menu.
post #2570 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
You can force a service update at any time my selecting a app, then hitting options and update services from the main menu.
Good to know. Thanks!

post #2571 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dude View Post
Thanks. I've done the full reset three times already, including again this morning. I always have the fast start turned off. Hmnnnn...
Strange. Sounds like some kind of corruption in the updater code on your machine. Has it ever successfully updated before? Might be time to consider a warranty claim.
Maybe try it on another network before giving up.
post #2572 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 766
I think his player is fried. Somehow the upload failed and now bricked.
post #2573 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Planet Earth II Banding Issues

Any one else have banding issues on the opening planet / sun screen of planet earth II? Also noticing a lot of minor banding in the sky throughout episode 1.

Player is going direct to TV via HDMI out 1 using certified blue jeans cable and tv is Samsung KS8500. I've tried playing with deep color on and off and tried playing with YCbCr but doesn't seem to help much. I do have UHD HDMI color enabled for the HDMI input on the TV and color space is auto.

Also if anyone is still experiencing the "HDMI 1 is Video and HDMI 2 is Audio" error message as I have seen it looks like my TV was switching its input to the HDMI input I have my receiver connected to so I just needed to switch the input back on the TV. Not sure why it did this as HDMI control is off in the player. I saw this mentioned a few times and didn't really see a resolution for it so this may be what is happening for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170427_225622.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	2106481   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170427_225947.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	2106489  

Sony XBR-65A9F / Panasonic DP-UB820 / Denon AVR-X4400H 7.4.4
Sony XBR-55A1E / Panasonic DP-UB820 / Sony STR-DN1080 5.1.2
post #2574 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 1707
Quote:
Took me a bajillion tries last night to get the update to finally connect and download. Tried wi-fi and wired. Just gotta stick with it. The way this update stuff currently works is,unfortunately, awful.
It must be wildly variable.

I got the firmware update via WiFi on the first try. I was a little surprised that I didn't have to set up my WiFi again after the upgrade. The Samsung UBD-K8500 lost the connection after every change.

I wonder whether doing it through USB would be more reliable? I see that the firmware is available for download now.
post #2575 of 9888 Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9428 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldius View Post

I use Fast start mode and did not have any issues with the firmware or app update.

So far I've always connected right away when checking for firmware updates or app updates. Whether I was using wireless or wired.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2576 of 9888 Old 04-28-2017, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just updated to the latest firmware on this device and now 4k discs only play in 1080P. I am running the X800 through a Sony STR-ZA2000ES to the Sony 55XBR900C. Receiver and TV both updated to latest firmware. When I am at the main menu on the X800, it is outputting 3840x2160. The output video resolution setting on the X800 is set to 4k. Is this some content protection issue gone awry? Any ideas what I can do to fix it?
post #2577 of 9888 Old 04-28-2017, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseAgainst80 View Post
I just updated to the latest firmware on this device and now 4k discs only play in 1080P. I am running the X800 through a Sony STR-ZA2000ES to the Sony 55XBR900C. Receiver and TV both updated to latest firmware. When I am at the main menu on the X800, it is outputting 3840x2160. The output video resolution setting on the X800 is set to 4k. Is this some content protection issue gone awry? Any ideas what I can do to fix it?
Try connecting the player direct to the TV to see if it outputs correctly that way. If it does, then it's likely a handshaking issue with the receiver.
post #2578 of 9888 Old 04-28-2017, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[1st post] Just bought one of these at John Lewis in Watford (UK) after speaking to a Sony rep that was in store & asking if Dolby Vision was going to be supported & she said it would be.
Obviously no guarantee that what she said is true, but I went ahead on her say so & told her to post on forums stating that so people that are on the fence will make the jump.
Will connect up later on & hope PQ is as good as people have said (& of course that there will be a DV FW update in future)
post #2579 of 9888 Old 04-28-2017, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Until and unless there is a firmware update that includes it, there is no support for *anything* not currently in the player - including Dolby Vision.

It is completely irrelevant what a salesperson, technical support agent, sales rep, or anyone else says about DV coming to this player. Until the software is released, it isn't happening. That's how software works. Period. There is no discussion to be had here. Anyone that works for a company that writes software understands this.

Can we PLEASE move on from the DV discussions that are in EVERY product thread? I'd like to see "No Dolby Vision discussion" added to the thread title.
b0rnarian and yanks1 like this.
post #2580 of 9888 Old 04-28-2017, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Not sure if I missed this feature, but it appears with the new update we now have auto resume movie when a disc is inserted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9223_1493382649226.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	2106753  
fvbounty and b0rnarian like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4kupscale , 5040 , dsf , Epson , problem , Sony , sony ubp-x800 , streaming music , surround decode , ubp-ux80 , ubp-x1000es , x800

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page