AVS Forum banner
2M views 11K replies 1K participants last post by  Mike728 
#1 · (Edited)

Dolby Vision: No support announced from Sony at this time.

Firmware / Service info:

Service update Released April 28th. New apps added:
Mubi, Sirius XM, Slacker Radio and Berlin Philharmonic

--
Firmware M36.R.0173 Released April 26th 2017 (USA/CA)
Adds supports for additional network services (YouTube™ and Spotify® Connect)
Expands 4K UHD content availability for some TVs
Changes the background of the UI (user interface)

---
Service update April 12th added Hulu, MLB, iHeart Radio, WWE Network, Pandora

---
Firmware M36.R.0111 Released 2nd March 2017 (USA). Adds support for Amazon Video 4K, Vudu and Opera TV store apps platform.

---
Current USA apps:

Netflix (4K, HDR Support, Dolby Digital, 24fps)
Amazon Video (4K, Dolby Digital +, 24fps)
YouTube (4K, HDR Support, 24fps)
Vudu (3D support, Dolby Digital +, 24fps)
Opera TV Store
Hulu Plus
MLB
iHeart Radio
WWE Network
Pandora
Spotify Connect
Crackle
Mubi,
Sirius XM,
Slacker Radio
Berlin Philharmonic
Fox News
Yupp TV

Sony's first Ultra HD Blu-Ray player announced at CES 2017

Price: $299 (USA)

Features

• 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback
  • 4K HDR to SDR conversion (
    When playing 4K HDR content on a 4K SDR television the UBP-X800 utilizes a unique Sony algorithm that you can adjust to reproduce the proper brightness and color gradations to provide the best picture possible.)
  • 3D Support
  • Multi disc playback (DVD-V, DVD-A, Bluray, 3D Bluray, SACD, CD, UHD)
  • 4K HDR support (HDR10)
  • Dolby® Atmos and DTS:X support
  • Support for the new BT.2020 color spaces
  • High resolution audio support
  • DSEE HX audio enhancement for audio files
  • Unique frame-and-beam chassis offers a rigid structure to eliminate micro-vibrations
  • Network playback (DLNA and USB)
  • Streaming services/Apps (See Above).
  • Bluetooth audio (with LDAC) and multi-room support with SongPal app
  • Coaxial digital, Ethernet and Twin HDMI outputs. Front USB port.
  • Screen mirroring (Android)
  • 2 Free UHD disks through offer below.

Specifications

Disc BD-ROM, CD (CD-DA), CD-R/-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD+RW, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), Ultra HD Blu-ray™
Video format
AVCHD Disc Format, Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi), MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg, .MPEG, .mkv).VOB, .VRO, MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS (.mpg, .MPEG, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv).VOB, .VRO, MPEG-4/AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv), MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts), VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv), WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv), Xvid (.avi, .mkv)
Audio Format
AAC (.AAC, .mka), AIFF (.aiff, .aif), ALAC (.m4a), Dolby® Digital (.ac3, .mka), DSD - DSDIFF/DSD (.dff, .dsf), FLAC (.flac, .fla), HEAAC v.1/v.2/level2, LP cm (.mka), Vorbis, WMA10 Pro, WMA9 Standard (.WMA)
Photo format
BMP (.bmp), GIF (.gif), JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), MPO MPF 3D (.mpo), PNG (.png)

Dimensions (W x H x D)
W17 x H2 1/4 x D10 3/4 (inch); W430 x H54 x D270 (mm)
Weight 8 lb 7 oz (3.8 kg)

Picture Feature
4K Upscale (60p), HDR → SDR converter, Deep Color (12-bit), 24p True Cinema™
Certified Hi-Res Audio Yes
Dolby Dolby Atmos / Dolby® True HD decoding (7.1ch)
DTS
DTS decoding (7.1ch)
DSEE HX Yes
Bluetooth Bluetooth® TX, LDAC

USA release date: Available Feb 23rd 2017.
Other Territories TBC.

Buy now at: Amazon, Best Buy and B&H.

Support: Sony x800 eSupport

Promotions:

Limited time offer(2/10/17 to 11:59 PM PST on 09/30/17- Customers who purchase a Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player between 2/10/17 - 9/30/17 will have the opportunity to receive two free Sony Pictures 4K Ultra HD Discs, from a selection of over 15+ titles. Visit www.sony.com/4kdiscbundle to see promotion and redemption details.

Movies included in promotion:

Pasengers, The 5th Wave, Angels and Demons, Chappie, Concussion, The Davinci Code, Inferno, Ghostbusters (2016), The Magnificent Seven, Pride+Prejudice+Zombies, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Risen, Salt, Sausage Party, Amazing Spiderman 2, Angry Birds Movie, The Shallows and Underworld.

Overview of X800 from Eric Kingdon (Sony Europe) :

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
I don't have mine yet. I haven't even ordered it yet. I'm waiting for it to show up in the physical store at BestBuy before I make my purchase. I'm looking forward to pairing the Sony X800 with my Sony UHD TV and Sony Speaker bar. I've been using the Sammy UHD BD player with them for over a year now.

#10,187 ·
I purchased this X800 Sony player a week ago. I hooked it up and compared it to my old Panasonic DMP-BD60 that I purchased in 2009. I did NOT like the Sony. I have a high end 60 inch Pioneer Elite Plasma TV and when it comes down to pure color output this old Panasonic is a lot nicer than this newer X800 Sony. I was really disappointed with the Sony. My old player doesn't have any picture setting options, it is straight fixed color output and it beats the Sony. The Sony is more sharp for sure but colors are no good, specially the greens and skin tones. Well, I looked for an older higher end Panasonic player than my BD60 and I found one on Ebay, the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 and I just hooked up yesterday and that thing smoked both my older Panasonic and definitely the newer Sony. Color output is bloody and amazingly good. I posted the X800 for sale and someone purchased it yesterday so is gone.

#5 ·
Will be picking one up tonight. Main need is hdr to sdr bt2020 conversion with an hdfury integral. I currently have the oppo and Panasonic players to compare. Oppo is already going back so it will be between the Panasonic and Sony. Not even sure if the Sony will be able to do sdr bt2020 with the intergal. If not that will make this an easy choice to return. If it does I'll need to do a lot of a/b comparison.

I'll post my findings and general impressions this weekend.

#3,301 ·
Why did you return the Oppo? Which unit did you keep and why?

Thanks.

#6 ·
For those who do get a chance to test out this player, can you let us know what apps it features? Specifically does it have Amazon 4K w/HDR, Netflix 4K w/HDR, VUDU w/UHD, Fandango Now, and Sony Ultra? Thanks.

#10 ·
Mine had a sticker on the outside of the box with the free movie offer information. It lists a website to go to where you fill in your name, address, etc. along withe the serial number of your unit. It states that after 2 or 3 business days, you will receive a redemption code via email which you then use to select the movies you want.

#8 ·
I wish Sony had published the manual. Wife picked mine up so I will play with it tonight. would like to read what settings correlate with this:

"4K HDR to SDR conversion (
When playing 4K HDR content on a 4K SDR television the UBP-X800 utilizes a unique Sony algorithm that you can adjust to reproduce the proper brightness and color gradations to provide the best picture possible.)"

#9 ·
As with the other threads (Oppo, Samsung, Panasonic) that we are transitioning from, please do not clog the thread with order status, waiting, etc.. Keep those to the announcement thread.

Reactions: farkem and RonAlam
#15 · (Edited)
Received mine

first impression:
1. vudu and amazon does not work, needs software update, but there are no updates yet.
netflix seems to work, I did not login. NO SONY ULTRA 4K (big no-no for non Sony TV owners). No VUE, no playstation video. Needs further software update.

2. load time is very fast. faster than samsung k8500, philips, xbox. Comparable to OPPO

3. 4k 60p, mkv, dts hd through usb (like the s6500 I had), info shows HDR, if no hdr detected, it will show SDR, AV type.

4. overall feels solid, not like the plastic s6500. definitely feels higher quality than k8500, philips. smaller form factor than oppo, but feels just as heavy.

that's it for now.

Attachments

#19 ·
Received mine

first impression:
1. vudu and amazon does not work, needs software update, but there are no updates yet.
netflix seems to work, I did not login. NO SONY ULTRA 4K (big no-no for non Sony TV owners). No VUE, no playstation video. Needs further software update.

hows the pic quality compared to the sammy?

2. load time is very fast. faster than samsung k8500, philips, xbox. Comparable to OPPO

3. 4k 60p, mkv, dts hd through usb (like the s6500 I had), info shows HDR, if no hdr detected, it will show SDR, AV type.

4. overall feels solid, not like the plastic s6500. definitely feels higher quality than k8500, philips. smaller form factor than oppo, but feels just as heavy.

that's it for now.
hows the pic quality compared to the sammy?

#21 · (Edited)
Observations:

• Its quick
  • Handshake is WAY less quirky than my 900
  • Same menus as other players have had lately (no SBM anymore)
  • FW M36.R.0046, no update found
  • Connected to my 5ghz radio fine
  • Ramps up to 16,000 mbps on Netflix quick
  • Ultra HD, HDR and 5.1 all show in Netflix App
  • Netflix app still has debug info popup many machines have lost
  • Netflix HDR and HDR disc are 4k/24 2020 12 bit, as shown in pics below
  • Amazon app is not active yet
  • 1080p blu ss 4k/24 444 12 bits, as shown below
  • Pretty much all video settings left as "Auto"
  • PQ looks great to me on UHD discs and Netflix HDR

Attachments

#23 ·
Observations:

• Its quick
  • Handshake is WAY less quirky than my 900
  • Same menus as other players have had lately (no SBM anymore)
  • FW M36.R.0046, no update found
  • Connected to my 5ghz radio fine
  • Ramps up to 16,000 mbps on Netflix quick
  • Ultra HD, HDR and 5.1 all show in Netflix App
  • Netflix app still has debug info popup many machines have lost
  • Netflix HDR and HDR disc are 4k/24 2020 12 bit, as shown in pics below
  • Amazon app is not active yet
  • 1080p blu us 4k/24 444 12 bits, as show below
  • Pretty much all video settings left as "Auto"
  • PQ looks great to me on UHD discs and Netflix HDR
So is it sending 12 bit with Deep Color off? Or is Deep Color oN? Since Deep Color is typically recommended to be off.

Reactions: Dartman
#24 ·
It is 12 bit all the time.

When DC is auto, where I left it, you get ycbcr 444 on 1080p, and the Marantz actually reports 12bit. WHen you turn it off it is 422, and where it should say bit depth it say ----, just like on the Panny 900 I have.

#3,198 · (Edited)
settings using the sonyx800 with marantz sr7010

Hello gadgtfreek, i see you also have a marantz with this. what settings you recommend to put on the sony x800? i having a problem that when i watching a movie on the player and i want to raise the volume of the volume on the marantz i do not see the bar of volume going up on the tv. i also when i click on the marantz remote under movie to switch the sound i also do not come on the tv. (Dolby surround,
stereo, multi channel) it only occur with the sony, if i switch to cable or other devices that not happen.
if this also happen to you? please advice. anyone that have this combination also could help me. BTW i using this combination with a samsung 65js9000 tv. i guess i need to go to 3 places to adjust and i barely know how to do this correctly. i am a novice lol

#25 ·
BTW, I want 444, some may not. It is being reported some Denon and Marantz products from 2015 and 2016 have an issue with 422 10 and 12 bit, where they see banding unless they bypass the AVR. When using 444, there is not problem. I was going to set my Panny 900 to 444, but now that I have swapped I am going to leave all the video settings on the 800 to Auto and just see what happens.

#26 · (Edited)
Couple of thoughts

1) This thing is heavy. Not sure why but for a set top box it is pretty heavy.
2) It is quite during playback
3) There is no status LED on the front (play, home etc.). Only a small green light that comes on when the unit is powered on. Its nice since it is not distracting while watching a movie but also feels weird.
4) The remote feels a bit cheap. Doesn't feel bad but doesn't feel premium. My $50 Sony BD player remote has a nicer feeling remote than this player.
5) BD player provisioning server connection server says failed. Not sure what the date was from SOny for BB to allow selling this device but maybe it later than the 24th and Sony got caught off guard. Amazon and Vudu need an app update to use. Netflix doesn't. Can't update apps until device is provisioned/updated.
6) This thing is big. Well wide anyways. I had a hard time getting it into my media cabinet. I had to remove a shelf so I could insert it vertically. (See pic attached)
7) Disc loading times for BD discs seems pretty fast. Not sure about UBD since I don't own any yet.
8) I've seen the Samsung and Philips UHB players at stores before and they feel cheap. The Sony feels like an expensive product (except for the remote).

Attachments

#35 ·
Couple of thoughts

1) This thing is heavy. Not sure why but for a set top box it is pretty heavy.
2) It is quite during playback
3) There is no status LED on the front (play, home etc.). Only a small green light that comes on when the unit is powered on. Its nice since it is not distracting while watching a movie but also feels weird.
4) The remote feels a bit cheap. Doesn't feel bad but doesn't feel premium. My $50 Sony BD player remote has a nicer feeling remote than this player.
5) BD player provisioning server connection server says failed. Not sure what the date was from SOny for BB to allow selling this device but maybe it later than the 24th and Sony got caught off guard. Amazon and Vudu need an app update to use. Netflix doesn't. Can't update apps until device is provisioned/updated.
6) This thing is big. Well wide anyways. I had a hard time getting it into my media cabinet. I had to remove a shelf so I could insert it vertically. (See pic attached)
7) Disc loading times for BD discs seems pretty fast. Not sure about UBD since I don't own any yet.
8) I've seen the Samsung and Philips UHB players at stores before and they feel cheap. The Sony feels like an expensive product (except for the remote).
Is it actually 17" as listed in the first post? The reason I ask is that Amazon lists it as 18.9" wide. I assume that's a mistake.

#31 · (Edited)
Some very odd things. First the setting of projector vs TV alters how dark or bright the picture is. On a projector, projector eliminates clipping but gamma looks off and black level elevated. I don't like settings like this.

Now for sdr bt2020 with an integral. Using hdr auto on the Sony and edid 10 to force bt2020 I am seeing sdr rec709. If I use edid 8, the Sony just says hdr. My projector is not hdr capable so when it gets a bt2020 or hdr signal it just goes into xv color mode. So when I force hdr with edid 8 it appears as though it's washed out and really sending hdr bt2020. Someone else who has an hdr projector that will show the actual color space will have to confirm.

Finally when just using the sdr rec709 conversion I think Sony is trying to optimize colors to look more vivid. Kind of like their description says. But it doesn't look right.

It's a solid player and if you have an hdr display it would probably be fine. I need to do more testing and see what others find, but it seems Sony is doing some odd things with the TV vs projector setting and with the color mapping in sdr rec709. It some ways it's a pleasing picture if you set it to tv mode and sdr. But it's definitely exaggerating colors and doing odd things with brightness and gamma.

#33 ·
For the audio setting, can BD Mix audio be turned OFF, just like on previous Sony players? If setting HDMI audio out to PCM, does it decode the full 7.1 channels in a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 bitstream? What is the maximum audio delay that can be set (in milliseconds)? Thanks.

#34 ·
Received mine this afternoon. Ran home from work to unbox and install.

First impression was how heavy it was. It feels like a very well put together of equipment. I love how the player on the box is textured/glossy just like the player is.

Hooked up a fresh premium certified HDMI cable and a Ethernet cable and plugged it in. Went through the settings to see if there was anything that needed to be changed and popped in a disc. Made sure the player was bit streaming audio and not touching the picture coming off of the disc.

I've been using the XB1S to watch discs since Christmas and have had multiple issues with disc playback. Needless to say, I had high expectations for this player. It loaded the disc quickly and was able to jump right into playback. The picture seemed darker and more saturated than the XB1S and the audio seemed fuller.

I'll be putting this player through the ringer over the next week or so to see what it's capable of, but so far I'm super stoked on what I have for $300.

#40 ·
I'm real curious to see how this stands up against the K8500 and 203. I look forward to some unbiased reviews.

I've been itching to offload the Sammy (not a fan of the brand) but the Oppo seems plagued with reliability issues (even on the 105).

I've been happy with my PS3 then the 6500. I'm NOT a big fan of the entire front of the X800 dropping down for the disc tray, that seems dumb.

Does the X800 or any other UHD player do 1.5x with audio playback?

#47 ·
Saw the unboxing video, the UI is pretty similar to my old Sony BD player, which isnt a bad thing... they gotta keep it simple and small in size for a faster player. Best thing I noticed was the Orignal Output setting, it was a nightmare for me on the K8500. Everything else is pretty standard, too bad the info. Isnt as extensive as the Panny or the Oppo. Lastly, the think the player is due for a major update and should get like 200 more apps like the older Sony BD players.