Official LG UP970 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3209Likes

post #1891 of 2891 Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Blade Runner 2049 and banding

Quick question for those who have watched BR2049 on this player: did you notice a lot of banding (color gradation is not smooth), particularly starting from the water fight scene towards the end of the movie? It's the first time I notice it so strongly with the UP970 on my LG C7. I wonder whether it's normal or some settings are off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2891 Old 01-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by makots View Post
I don't know about New Zealand but I talked to an LG rep here in the US and I was told that the earliest the Dolby Vision firmware would be released was mid July. Apparently, LG is having a dispute with Dolby concerning licensing fees hence the seemingly endless delay. Not good at all.
There is no licensing fee dispute between Dolby and LG. The real issue is there is a bug with DV playback over HDMI connections. Dolby finally admitted the problem last week. The fix is a firmware update for DV enabled TV's. At this point, we have to wait for TV manufacturers to roll out the update.
DarenG likes this.
post #1893 of 2891 Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I just finished watching this and no banding. My player also is as quiet as a mouse... I have never had a problem with the player being loud... Purchased off eBay for $100.
DarenG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 2891 Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
There is no licensing fee dispute between Dolby and LG. The real issue is there is a bug with DV playback over HDMI connections. Dolby finally admitted the problem last week. The fix is a firmware update for DV enabled TV's. At this point, we have to wait for TV manufacturers to roll out the update.
Then LG ought to have no issue (re)releasing the DV firmware update ... and yet, here we wait ... there appears to be more to the situation than has been let on ...
toonj64 likes this.
post #1895 of 2891 Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzarias View Post
Then LG ought to have no issue (re)releasing the DV firmware update ... and yet, here we wait ... there appears to be more to the situation than has been let on ...
I'm guessing that maybe Dolby ask manufacturers not to release the firmware update until they could figure the problem out. Now that they know the problem, said manufacturers may be waiting until the displays are updated first.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656
JBL Studio Series (Front, Center, Right), JBL 250W Sub, Kenwood Rears, Onkyo Atmos Upfiring
LG UP970 UHD Player
Nvidia Shield TV
post #1896 of 2891 Old 01-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I'm guessing that maybe Dolby ask manufacturers not to release the firmware update until they could figure the problem out. Now that they know the problem, said manufacturers may be waiting until the displays are updated first.
OMG, I hope LG don't wait until ... Sony ... Samsung ... Vizio ... TCL ... Panasonic ... etc ... etc ... all manufacturers update their displays????? Assuming they ever elect to, that is????

C'mon LG, if you're reading this, don't wait for other display manufacturers. We know the firmware exists, and by all accounts works really well, just re-release it already!
post #1897 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
I call BS on this whole idea, because for a start those that have the DV, even in its current state, prefer it over HDR10. Also, if the issue is in the TV firmware, why withhold the BR player firmware? And lastly, Oppo released DV firmware, so it's unlikely Dolby asked anyone to delay releasing it.

Frankly, I don't care what the reason is, they should have advised us to the situation back in August. Instead they've treated us very poorly and told us absolutely nothing, all the while selling the likes of the UP970 as a DV capable player.

If it is true, I hope DV crashes and burns and HDR10+ crushes Dolby. Anyone who treats its entire customer base like this does not deserve success!
post #1898 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Since posting the rant above, I've been pondering the ungodly mess that is Dolby Vision on physical media and players, and it has percolated into a troubling conclusion:

I don't believe Dolby sees the future of DV in physical media at all. It's quite possible that they only really intend the technology to be a primarily streaming technology and here's my rationale:
  • Dolby Vision has been working fine on streaming platforms such as Netflix for some time and without any real problems - the tech was stable and reliable from very early on.
  • Dolby Vision has been a nightmare in regard to physical media. Most players have had DV firmware delayed and many more titles have been available on streaming platforms vs physical media.
  • News has recently come to light that DV over HDMI from player to TV has been broken all along, only now getting patched.
  • If you want to find out what UHD disks are available with DV, you have to search unofficial forums, there seems to be no easily accessible official list of DV titles.
  • If you examine the packaging of an apparently DV enabled 4K disc, you usually can't find anything printed on cover or disc documenting that it is DV enabled.
So, how badly does Dolby want their tech adopted on physical media? You can't search for DV titles through official channels and Dolby aren't trying to entice anyone into the DV eco-system by getting their partners to advertise DV on any physical titles that I have seen. Unsurprisingly the uptake of DV on physical media has been near zero.

Compare this to streaming sites that have a plethora of DV titles. In fact, there are many Hollywood titles that are in DV on streaming platforms that are non-DV on physical media (see this list of iTunes titles for example).

Seems to me that UHD physical media was an after-thought and Dolby's commitment to the platform is luke-warm at best. Those of us who want the best possible PQ at the best bit-rate are not the target market for this tech.
post #1899 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconAudio View Post
Since posting the rant above, I've been pondering the ungodly mess that is Dolby Vision on physical media and players, and it has percolated into a troubling conclusion:

I don't believe Dolby sees the future of DV in physical media at all. It's quite possible that they only really intend the technology to be a primarily streaming technology and here's my rationale:
  • Dolby Vision has been working fine on streaming platforms such as Netflix for some time and without any real problems - the tech was stable and reliable from very early on.
  • Dolby Vision has been a nightmare in regard to physical media. Most players have had DV firmware delayed and many more titles have been available on streaming platforms vs physical media.
  • News has recently come to light that DV over HDMI from player to TV has been broken all along, only now getting patched.
  • If you want to find out what UHD disks are available with DV, you have to search unofficial forums, there seems to be no easily accessible official list of DV titles.
  • If you examine the packaging of an apparently DV enabled 4K disc, you usually can't find anything printed on cover or disc documenting that it is DV enabled.
So, how badly does Dolby want their tech adopted on physical media? You can't search for DV titles through official channels and Dolby aren't trying to entice anyone into the DV eco-system by getting their partners to advertise DV on any physical titles that I have seen. Unsurprisingly the uptake of DV on physical media has been near zero.

Compare this to streaming sites that have a plethora of DV titles. In fact, there are many Hollywood titles that are in DV on streaming platforms that are non-DV on physical media (see this list of iTunes titles for example).

Seems to me that UHD physical media was an after-thought and Dolby's commitment to the platform is luke-warm at best. Those of us who want the best possible PQ at the best bit-rate are not the target market for this tech.
I disagree on a few points you made here.

First being the lack of DV on disc media when available on Digital. You generally only see this when dealing with "older" 4K titles. DV was only just approved by Dolby on disc late 2017 and this was Despicable Me. Like all Dolby products there is a large amount of verification, approval, and license fees that needs to be taken care of before the Dolby tech can be branded and used. Most, if not all, DV Digital titles that are not DV on disc were sent to press before Dolby signed off on the tech for that particular distributor.
For additional complexity to this matter, for a Digital title to use DV there only needs to be Dolby approval on the TV or in the case of streaming boxes, it needs to be approved on the TV and the streaming box. Whereas with 4K discs there is almost always 4 parts to the equation. Those part being TV, AVR, and 4K player, and Disc distributor. And of course the distributors would not pay for the cost of licensing and approval from Dolby until the other 3 parts of the equation were complete. So for a while there was a whole Chicken and the Egg thing going on that delayed DV adoption on Disc.

I also disagree on the observation that Dolby does not care about DV on physical media. Of course they care about this. It is another source of income from licensing. No company would throw away an opportunity for licensing income, even if it is not highest priority.

Finally, there is not a single disc that had DV that does not have the DV symbol somewhere on the packaging, though you do need to know where to look and what to look for. I will give it to you that they have not done much to force the distributors to advertise DV capability and it should be much more prominently displayed.
digitalbear11 likes this.
post #1900 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Is it a physical media thing, or an HDMI thing? Internal streamers seem to work fine (TV for example from native app). Meaning would it even work with a Roku Ultra had it supported it (External player over HDMI, non physical media)? Seems like Roku engineers didn't even want to deal with the large headache that is DV, HDMI handshakes, etc.
post #1901 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I think there is way too much thought going into this. Most streaming box and disc player manufacturers probably tried implementing DV and saw that it didn't look so hot. So they went back to Dolby who said that maybe they had an HDMI issue. In the meantime all these player manufacturers don't want to release their DV products or FW because they already know that the content won't look that good and there will be an uproar.
post #1902 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

I noticed that with some of my uhd blu ray purchases, like Mad Max and Pacific Rim, the disc only comes with HDR10, but the redeemable digital copy is in Dolby Vision. I didn't really see the logic behind that practice, market segmentation? I also agree with your other points, looking for DV uhd blu rays is a chore, I bought the 1st season of Westworld because I loved the show, watched it on HDR10 and enjoyed it. it wasn't until after I looked for reviews of the steelbook version and found out the discs are actually mastered in DV (what?!), which is never mentioned anywhere on the physical packaging except that big bold sign of generic "HDR", and since our up970 don't support DV yet, the consumer (like me) would never otherwise know of its superior quality unless going out of the way to look for it.

doesn't make any sense, it's like Bugatti advertises a 500-hp vehicle but don't bother to tell you and don't even want you to know that its actually capable of producing 1000-hp, why? would I, as a consumer, be willing to pay more for a 1000-hp vehicle than a 500-hp one? most probably!

except,

I'm under the impression that marketers are still having a hard time educating and marketing all these new-ish video/audio formats to average consumers, as the average consumer can't be bothered to learn but to be spoon fed easily digestible concepts to wrap their heads around, like "4K"=bigger number=better technology=go, buy it. and "HDR", which by itself only stands for better contrast, but we are all here after "HDR AND WCG", but that would just introduce new technical jargon to the conversation and confuse the hell outta average consumers, so marketers just stick to advertising "HDR"=better picture quality=better technology=go, buy it. while "1000-hp" is clearly a bigger number than "500-hp", easily comparable and understood, but "Dolby Vision" is not obviously comparable to "HDR", that's going to require additional education and explanation and frustration and confusion, easier to just not market it at all, in fear of actually scaring potential customers away. Consumer psychology is a (helplessly pathetic) form of art than science, sigh...

The only sense I can make of all this is that we are (still) early adopters, and the market has a long way of catching up to do.
toonj64 likes this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)

Last edited by teachsac; 01-19-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language/bypassing language filter
post #1903 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c 2 View Post
I noticed that with some of my uhd blu ray purchases, like Mad Max and Pacific Rim, the disc only comes with HDR10, but the redeemable digital copy is in Dolby Vision.
Wow, didn't realize this. I own both of those movies. How exactly would that work though? You download the digital, DV version on your phone and cast it to your TV in Dolby Vision?
post #1904 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Please keep language clean. Do not bypass the forum language filters, please.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1905 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I noticed that with some of my uhd blu ray purchases, like Mad Max and Pacific Rim, the disc only comes with HDR10, but the redeemable digital copy is in Dolby Vision. I didn't really see the logic behind that practice, market segmentation? I also agree with your other points, looking for DV uhd blu rays is a chore, I bought the 1st season of Westworld because I loved the show, watched it on HDR10 and enjoyed it. it wasn't until after I looked for reviews of the steelbook version and found out the discs are actually mastered in DV (what?!), which is never mentioned anywhere on the physical packaging except that big bold sign of generic "HDR", and since our up970 don't support DV yet, the consumer (like me) would never otherwise know of its superior quality unless going out of the way to look for it.

doesn't make any sense, it's like Bugatti advertises a 500-hp vehicle but don't bother to tell you and don't even want you to know that its actually capable of producing 1000-hp, why? would I, as a consumer, be willing to pay more for a 1000-hp vehicle than a 500-hp one? most probably!

except,

I'm under the impression that marketers are still having a hard time educating and marketing all these new-ish video/audio formats to average consumers, as the average consumer can't be bothered to learn but to be spoon fed easily digestible concepts to wrap their heads around, like "4K"=bigger number=better technology=go, buy it. and "HDR", which by itself only stands for better contrast, but we are all here after "HDR AND WCG", but that would just introduce new technical jargon to the conversation and confuse the hell outta average consumers, so marketers just stick to advertising "HDR"=better picture quality=better technology=go, buy it. while "1000-hp" is clearly a bigger number than "500-hp", easily comparable and understood, but "Dolby Vision" is not obviously comparable to "HDR", that's going to require additional education and explanation and frustration and confusion, easier to just not market it at all, in fear of actually scaring potential customers away. Consumer psychology is a (helplessly pathetic) form of art than science, sigh...

The only sense I can make of all this is that we are (still) early adopters, and the market has a long way of catching up to do.
Edit: I accidentally put up a link to the wrong example.
On the packaging look for the DolbyVision symbol, It will usually be on the back of the packaging right next to the Dolby Atmos symbol.
Here is an example of it on the back of a Dispicable Me packaging. Look at the bottom Left.

Here is a link to another Blu-Ray.com forum that keeps an up to date list of DV discs. HERE

Last edited by raistline; 01-19-2018 at 08:18 AM.
post #1906 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
On the packaging look for the DolbyVision symbol, It will usually be on the back of the packaging right next to the Dolby Atmos symbol.
Here is an example of it on the back of a Dispicable Me packaging. Look at the bottom Left.

Here is a link to another Blu-Ray.com forum that keeps an up to date list of DV discs. HERE
Nice post, and yes it pretty much has to be there. Although it won't be in the same spot on each packaging. I'd assume there's licensing issues if it weren't displayed on the packaging and they use it on the disc.
post #1907 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

basically, the authoring software used to create UHD w/ Dolby Vision on physical media is different than straight to streaming. There was an issue on version 1.0 of the media authoring software, which led to complaints such as grey (not black) letterbox bars, such as those found on the DV-enabled UHD disc for Fate of the Furious, which is one of the first releases with Dolby Vision.

with similar issues appearing on other DV-enabled UHD media, customers took their complaints to the few manufacturers (LG, Oppo) that enabled DV from media to TV via HDMI.
People weren't seeing the same issues via streaming (VUDU has had the most prominent in releasing Dolby Vision-enabled streaming titles, Netflix the other but had their own issues with some of the DV titles, which were only found on their exclusive Netflix titles)

Dolby finally came to the conclusion that since the issue appeared from physical media and not (so much) via streaming, and the same issues weren't found on regular HDR10 titles, they looked into and found the issue with their encoding for Dolby Vision titles on disc. It has to do with how it was written to interact with the HDMI chip on-board TV's that are capable of playing Dolby Vision titles (currently few, namely LG). Dolby has passed on their fix onto the TV manufacturers, who are probably still testing the fix on all their sets, before rolling out the updates.

Once the TV manufacturers have updated the current TV's (that currently are able to play Dolby Vision-enabled media via HDMI), then we will start seeing Dolby Vision firmware enabled on more TV's and UHD players

it's the chicken-and-egg situation

as for going forward, there is also the licensing issue that may prevent manufacturers from supporting Dolby Vision. Dolby is charging a licensing fee on a part component basis. So that would cover TV (to cover streaming), probably each (DV-enabled) HDMI connection for that TV, UHD media player, as well as streaming hardware

the new HDR10+ competitor to DV is open-sourced, and only requests an annual contribution from manufacturers to support the HDR10+ spec, not on a per-component level.

Therefore manufacturers are thinking hard about the bottom line, and whether it's worth paying all of these additional licensing fees to support DV, when it sees all of these movie studios and some manufacturers coming out in support of HDR10+. To support the titles that are released as Dolby Vision-enabled from Netflix and Vudu, manufacturers may decide to only pay the minimum Dolby fee for the TV itself to support streaming, since streaming is more popular than media to the majority. Other manufacturers would rather object to Dolby's licensing scheme, and stay with support regular HDR10 via streaming and HDMI, and then support HDR10+ via streaming/hdmi in the future when there are more titles available (such as from amazon)

hope that helps
post #1908 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailjack View Post
Wow, didn't realize this. I own both of those movies. How exactly would that work though? You download the digital, DV version on your phone and cast it to your TV in Dolby Vision?
something like that, I think all the digital titles are consolidated under movies anywhere these days. here's a screenshot of my vudu account, I can stream it from the vudu app on my LG webOS, and it is indeed in Dolby Vision. though can't really judge the streaming DV quality given limited bandwidth, I can't establish a reference point of physical DV disc for comparison), but I can only resort to physical disc for HDR10 + atmos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	madmax.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	2348102  

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
post #1909 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:

I dont quite remember which movies but there are at least 2 that I've seen with absolutely no metion of DV on the packaging and yet they are DV. That is REALLY messed up!
post #1910 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
basically, the authoring software used to create UHD w/ Dolby Vision on physical media is different than straight to streaming. There was an issue on version 1.0 of the media authoring software, which led to complaints such as grey (not black) letterbox bars, such as those found on the DV-enabled UHD disc for Fate of the Furious, which is one of the first releases with Dolby Vision.

with similar issues appearing on other DV-enabled UHD media, customers took their complaints to the few manufacturers (LG, Oppo) that enabled DV from media to TV via HDMI.
People weren't seeing the same issues via streaming (VUDU has had the most prominent in releasing Dolby Vision-enabled streaming titles, Netflix the other but had their own issues with some of the DV titles, which were only found on their exclusive Netflix titles)

Dolby finally came to the conclusion that since the issue appeared from physical media and not (so much) via streaming, and the same issues weren't found on regular HDR10 titles, they looked into and found the issue with their encoding for Dolby Vision titles on disc. It has to do with how it was written to interact with the HDMI chip on-board TV's that are capable of playing Dolby Vision titles (currently few, namely LG). Dolby has passed on their fix onto the TV manufacturers, who are probably still testing the fix on all their sets, before rolling out the updates.

Once the TV manufacturers have updated the current TV's (that currently are able to play Dolby Vision-enabled media via HDMI), then we will start seeing Dolby Vision firmware enabled on more TV's and UHD players

it's the chicken-and-egg situation

as for going forward, there is also the licensing issue that may prevent manufacturers from supporting Dolby Vision. Dolby is charging a licensing fee on a part component basis. So that would cover TV (to cover streaming), probably each (DV-enabled) HDMI connection for that TV, UHD media player, as well as streaming hardware

the new HDR10+ competitor to DV is open-sourced, and only requests an annual contribution from manufacturers to support the HDR10+ spec, not on a per-component level.

Therefore manufacturers are thinking hard about the bottom line, and whether it's worth paying all of these additional licensing fees to support DV, when it sees all of these movie studios and some manufacturers coming out in support of HDR10+. To support the titles that are released as Dolby Vision-enabled from Netflix and Vudu, manufacturers may decide to only pay the minimum Dolby fee for the TV itself to support streaming, since streaming is more popular than media to the majority. Other manufacturers would rather object to Dolby's licensing scheme, and stay with support regular HDR10 via streaming and HDMI, and then support HDR10+ via streaming/hdmi in the future when there are more titles available (such as from amazon)

hope that helps
thanks for the info, although I don't pretend to understand from the perspective of technical implementation, but it's a good point for me to start.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
post #1911 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
I dont quite remember which movies but there are at least 2 that I've seen with absolutely no metion of DV on the packaging and yet they are DV. That is REALLY messed up!
You really shouldn't buy movies from flea markets.

Joking of course.
post #1912 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:

see mine, the tin box itself contains no info, though I do remember on the plastic wrapper the front had the generic "HDR" sticker, and the back had a detachable info sleeve, which for the life of me, I can't find at the moment, but I don't remember seeing any mention of DV on the back sleeve. the inside plastic case: front generic "HDR" sticker, that tiny dolby underneath is for "atmos", no mention of DV; on the back of the plastic case, no where does it mention DV, at all (trust me, I've looked close and hard at it many times).

and since my up970 doesn't support DV, "how would I know these discs are indeed DV?" I can't verify that myself except tons of online reviewers reporting that they are indeed getting DV sign show up on their TV instead of just the HDR sign, "to their surprise", too, presumably they have Oppo 203/205s or snatched UP970 DV-update when available. that's what I have to go with.

what a wonderful surprise! (slight sarcasm)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7062.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	897.1 KB
ID:	2348106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7060.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	915.2 KB
ID:	2348108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7061.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2348110  
toonj64 likes this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
post #1913 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
see mine, the tin box itself contains no info, though I do remember on the plastic wrapper the front had the generic "HDR" sticker, and the back had a detachable info sleeve, which for the life of me, I can't find at the moment, but I don't remember seeing any mention of DV on the back sleeve. the inside plastic case: front generic "HDR" sticker, that tiny dolby underneath is for "atmos", no mention of DV; on the back of the plastic case, no where does it mention DV, at all (trust me, I've looked close and hard at it many times).

and since my up970 doesn't support DV, "how would I know these discs are indeed DV?" I can't verify that myself except tons of online reviewers reporting that they are indeed getting DV sign show up on their TV instead of just the HDR sign, "to their surprise", too, presumably they have Oppo 203/205s or snatched UP970 DV-update when available. that's what I have to go with.

I don't know what to say, this is the first time I have seen a DV disc with a case that does not have the DV symbol. Is the DV symbol on the discs themselves? I believe that it legally has to be somewhere, otherwise it violates some law. It may have been a case in which the people responsible for creating the packaging were not properly informed that DV was being added.
post #1914 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

there you go, Westworld is one example and I know there is at least one more example. Spiderman? Transformers? OH! I think it's Valerian!
post #1915 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I don't know what to say, this is the first time I have seen a DV disc with a case that does not have the DV symbol. Is the DV symbol on the discs themselves? I believe that it legally has to be somewhere, otherwise it violates some law. It may have been a case in which the people responsible for creating the packaging were not properly informed that DV was being added.
good point I missed out! but no, only generic HDR, no DV inside, outside, anywhere. I don't see this being a problem pertaining to any legal concerns, at most, the marketers are only "underselling". from my perspective, I thought the discs were marketed as just "HDR(10)", I bought it thinking I was getting just "HDR(10)", turns out, I was getting "DV", a superior product! I don't think anyone would have problem with that. Except it would be difficult for people actively looking to buy DV-specific products, and for those thought the product is DV, but without seeing any visual indication, hence hesitant to pull the trigger on buying the product.

good point you brought up the potential labeling issues, that might indeed be the case. here's another case https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...-release/40527
Originally people got the idea that the BR2049 UHD will be released in Europe featuring DV as indicated by the packaging material (versus just HDR(10) here in the States), it got people all rallied up and excited. turns out, no DV for BR2049 UHD, not in Europe, not anywhere, just a mislabel issue. Ha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7063.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2348178  
toonj64 likes this.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
post #1916 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
good point I missed out! but no, only generic HDR, no DV inside, outside, anywhere. I don't see this being a problem pertaining to any legal concerns, at most, the marketers are only "underselling". from my perspective, I thought the discs were marketed as just "HDR(10)", I bought it thinking I was getting just "HDR(10)", turns out, I was getting "DV", a superior product! I don't think anyone would have problem with that. Except it would be difficult for people actively looking to buy DV-specific products, and for those thought the product is DV, but without seeing any visual indication, hence hesitant to pull the trigger on buying the product.

good point you brought up the potential labeling issues, that might indeed be the case. here's another case https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...-release/40527
Originally people got the idea that the BR2049 UHD will be released in Europe featuring DV as indicated by the packaging material (versus just HDR(10) here in the States), it got people all rallied up and excited. turns out, no DV for BR2049 UHD, not in Europe, not anywhere, just a mislabel issue. Ha
No idea but DV on disc is like the best kept secret when in fact they should be all proud and boasting about DV. It's the stupidest thing ive seen in a long while
digitalbear11 and ian c 2 like this.
post #1917 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
basically, the authoring software used to create UHD w/ Dolby Vision on physical media is different than straight to streaming.

Dolby finally came to the conclusion that since the issue appeared from physical media and not (so much) via streaming, and the same issues weren't found on regular HDR10 titles, they looked into and found the issue with their encoding for Dolby Vision titles on disc.
I have a couple of problems with this:

1) Dolby's own creators workflow explanation doesn't align with it.
2) The black problem is program/episode/scene specific which makes it appear to be an authoring pilot error.

My experience is iTunes is better than Netflix content.

In any case I replaced my 970 with a 203 and I'm glad I got an LG display instead of a Sony.

I might type 2K for 1080p.
UDP-203/ATV4K(6,2)/X3500/LG C8
post #1918 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Please take general software discussion to the software or HDR forum areas. This area is for hardware chat. Software chat is limited to playback issues.

Quote:
This area covers Blu-ray & UHD Blu-ray players. Please note this is not the area for software chat.
ian c 2 likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1919 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Guys for the gray bars dolby stated that they implemented a fix and they already had sent it to tv makers to fix it so this problem is not authoring specific.
post #1920 of 2891 Old 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm -I guess- one of the lucky ones that downloaded the patch right when it was made public. I've been using my U970 since then with no problems whatsoever -at least with the few 4K/DV movies I have. What am I missing? What this "bug" that few keep referring to?

PS. U970 is being teamed with an LG E6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page