Official LG UP970 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3220Likes

post #2311 of 2930 Old 02-24-2018, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidwiz View Post
Here's my fix for the noise. What a shame we have to take things into our own hands. Don't blame LG though, it's a Sony drive lol.

First, violate the warranty and open the case, remove the 3 rear screws and pivot the top cover at the front to remove.

The drive is easily removed. Pull the 3 ribbon cables, remove the 4 screws and remove.

I layered 2 1/8" thick, 2" long strips of high density foam as shown in the pic. Not the really squishy stuff, something with more rubbery support. I bet weatherstripping would work if you trimmed the thickness.

I then placed the drive into position with the screws loose. Reconnect the ribbon cables.

Power up a movie known to cause vibration. (I used hidden figures) Then tighten the screws tuning their tightness to the level of sound removal. If your foam is too thick or your screws too tight you will exacerbate the noise. I lucked out and all 4 screws felt like they tightened normally.

Replace the cover fitting the 'hinges' into the slots in the front and rotating in reverse. Replace the 3 rear screws and Voila! Mucho reducti'ono in the offensive rattle. Your results may vary.
I actually covered the whole underneath, except from the part with the small green board and the motor. Is it ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2930 Old 02-26-2018, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 565
I did some A/B testing with my old samsung player and you're right... there is no audio difference, it was all in my head. With auto, it just sends the bitstream to my AVR so those settings I was wondering about probably aren't used. I wish they were grayed out in that case! I'm liking this player so far although it can get loud in parts. I haven't heard it during a movie yet but it did buzz a bit while testing out "It". I tried passengers and it was fine and quiet. My mfg date was Nov so it's likely a fixed one but it was loud during a part of "It" so I think it's not fully fixed. Hopefully it won't become an issue. Other than that, I'm happy to have Dolby Vision now!
post #2313 of 2930 Old 02-27-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Anyone else having issues with the UP970 forgetting it's WiFi config resulting in no internet access via WiFi?

I'm on the latest firmware, and what happens is rather maddening. It takes about 4-5 configuration attempts before the UP970 finally will connect. It seems to remember this configuration for a random amount of power off/on cycles, when suddenly it's not able to connect after a power up.

If anyone else is experiencing this, have you found a workaround?

Last edited by tazzarias; 02-27-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 2930 Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzarias View Post
Anyone else having issues with the UP970 forgetting it's WiFi config resulting in no internet access via WiFi?

I'm on the latest firmware, and what happens is rather maddening. It takes about 4-5 configuration attempts before the UP970 finally will connect. It seems to remember this configuration for a random amount of power off/on cycles, when suddenly it's not able to connect after a power up.

If anyone else is experiencing this, have you found a workaround?
I do not have this issue but I use a wired connection throughout my house.

I suggest giving your Wi-Fi router a power cycle (fully unplugged for at least 1 minute to let all capacitors discharge) and see if that does not help the issue. Routers often need a power cycling like this at least once a month to clear out cache.

Last edited by raistline; 02-27-2018 at 03:36 PM.
post #2315 of 2930 Old 02-27-2018, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi, my player updated to

Software Information
MAIN VER: BD.39338.80207.C
SERVO VER: UP17SON0017

I tried a couple movies that have HDR (eg wonder woman) and didn't notice any difference. What am I missing? How do I enable HDR playback?

David
Looking to buy any extra 3D movies/discs! Send me a PM!
post #2316 of 2930 Old 02-27-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
I do not have this issue but I use a wired connection throughout my house.

I suggest giving your Wi-Fi router a power cycle (fully unplugged for at least 1 minute to let all capacitors discharge) and see if that does not help the issue. Routers often need a power cycling like this at least once a month to clear out cache.
The likelihood of this being the issue is slim to none, as the issue didn't arise with the UP970 until the latest firmware update rolled out. I've owned the UP970 for 4 months now.

I also have a plethora of devices that connect to my WiFi router on a daily basis, and none have ever had any issues connecting to the router.
post #2317 of 2930 Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
"I tried a couple movies that have HDR (eg wonder woman) and didn't notice any difference. What am I missing? How do I enable HDR playback?"

How about start with the basics. You have a 4k display that is HDR capable correct? Are you using a 4k/HDR capable receiver? Does your display indicate in anying when displaying HDR. For example, LG OLEDs display "HDR" in the top right corner when they receive an HDR signal. You may also want to find out which scenes provide the best example of HDR content. They will usually be low light scenes with "punchy" high contrast areas. Hope that helps!
post #2318 of 2930 Old 02-28-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
The likelihood of this being the issue is slim to none, as the issue didn't arise with the UP970 until the latest firmware update rolled out. I've owned the UP970 for 4 months now.

I also have a plethora of devices that connect to my WiFi router on a daily basis, and none have ever had any issues connecting to the router.
Even though some of your other devices are not having issues it could still be a problem with the router cache. The LG does not maintain a Wi-Fi connection when it is powered off and reaches out to get a connection each time it is powered on. If there is bad cache data it can cause the LG to not connect, while your other device likely maintain a stable connection and are likely more capable than the LG.

I am not saying for sure that this is the cause but it can be and is worth investigating on your part.

(just a quick bonus hint on a maintaining a stable network) Depending on how many devices you have you could be reaching your routers limit for simultaneous connected wireless devices. If you have 10 or more devices you should be using an additional Access Point or some type of a MESH network unless you are using a business class router/ap. Finally, if you have a landline with phones that use 2.4ghz signal, all your wireless devices should use 5.0ghz and vice-versa. Home phones put out a lot of interference, before most
everyone started dropping landlines for cellular this was a very common problem for network connection loss.
post #2319 of 2930 Old 02-28-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
Even though some of your other devices are not having issues it could still be a problem with the router cache. The LG does not maintain a Wi-Fi connection when it is powered off and reaches out to get a connection each time it is powered on. If there is bad cache data it can cause the LG to not connect, while your other device likely maintain a stable connection and are likely more capable than the LG.

I am not saying for sure that this is the cause but it can be and is worth investigating on your part.

(just a quick bonus hint on a maintaining a stable network) Depending on how many devices you have you could be reaching your routers limit for simultaneous connected wireless devices. If you have 10 or more devices you should be using an additional Access Point or some type of a MESH network unless you are using a business class router/ap. Finally, if you have a landline with phones that use 2.4ghz signal, all your wireless devices should use 5.0ghz and vice-versa. Home phones put out a lot of interference, before most
everyone started dropping landlines for cellular this was a very common problem for network connection loss.
I agree with these observations. Its just that all other things being equal, the only change was the firmware update to the UP970, and issues have occurred ever since.

The UP970 is one of 3 devices that connect to my 5Ghz network. I also have a 2.4Ghz network that about 4-6 devices connect to. Only the UP970 has issues.
post #2320 of 2930 Old 03-01-2018, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
"I tried a couple movies that have HDR (eg wonder woman) and didn't notice any difference. What am I missing? How do I enable HDR playback?"

How about start with the basics. You have a 4k display that is HDR capable correct? Are you using a 4k/HDR capable receiver? Does your display indicate in anying when displaying HDR. For example, LG OLEDs display "HDR" in the top right corner when they receive an HDR signal. You may also want to find out which scenes provide the best example of HDR content. They will usually be low light scenes with "punchy" high contrast areas. Hope that helps!
the first thing to try after determining if your TV is HDR compatible is...try plugging your HDMI cable straight from the player to the TV. This way you bypass an AVR. If you do get HDR, then you know the issue is at the Receiver. If you do not get HDR. Make sure that you have a certified cable capable of HDR playback. Also, check to make sure that your HDMI cable is plug into a port that is HDR capable. On my LG OLED, i have to go into the settings on the TV and turn on Deep color to enable HDR playback. This may be something you may have to do on other brands as well.
charlesrshell likes this.

LG OLED55C6P, Pioneer Elite SX‑LX101 Receiver, LG UP970 UHD Player, XBOX One X
post #2321 of 2930 Old 03-02-2018, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ha the player gone region free after the recent update?

LG 55C7V, LG UP970
post #2322 of 2930 Old 03-02-2018, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Guys. I'm lazy a bit but could you quicky awnser theses questions?

Does Youtube app support HDR?

Does Netflix support DV, HDR?

How is the performance of the streaming app compare to the C7 built in?

Thanks
post #2323 of 2930 Old 03-02-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbear11 View Post
the first thing to try after determining if your TV is HDR compatible is...try plugging your HDMI cable straight from the player to the TV. This way you bypass an AVR. If you do get HDR, then you know the issue is at the Receiver. If you do not get HDR. Make sure that you have a certified cable capable of HDR playback. Also, check to make sure that your HDMI cable is plug into a port that is HDR capable. On my LG OLED, i have to go into the settings on the TV and turn on Deep color to enable HDR playback. This may be something you may have to do on other brands as well.
I have this LG UP970 directly connected to my LG OLED65E6P via new Amazon Basics hdmi cables confirmed to support this. By "didn't notice any difference" I mean the player did not behave any differently -- no HDR indicator (which I expected to see on this player), no HDR playback. (And yes, I know what HDR should look like etc, I just don't know if there's some setting, or perhaps my unit did not update correctly, etc).

David
post #2324 of 2930 Old 03-03-2018, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdj777 View Post
I have this LG UP970 directly connected to my LG OLED65E6P via new Amazon Basics hdmi cables confirmed to support this. By "didn't notice any difference" I mean the player did not behave any differently -- no HDR indicator (which I expected to see on this player), no HDR playback. (And yes, I know what HDR should look like etc, I just don't know if there's some setting, or perhaps my unit did not update correctly, etc).

I have the an LG C6P...also Amazon Basic HDMI Cable. Did you confirm Deep Color is turned on, in your TV's settings? I believe its under "General" in the LG settings it will be labelled"HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color"...make sure this is turned on for whatever port your HDMI cable is plugged in to.

You'll see a pop-up in the top right corner that will either say HDR or Dolby Vision, depending on the movie. HDR was supported out of the box with this player, so you should at least see that pop up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	header.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2369406  

LG OLED55C6P, Pioneer Elite SX‑LX101 Receiver, LG UP970 UHD Player, XBOX One X
post #2325 of 2930 Old 03-03-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Lynch View Post
Hey Guys. I'm lazy a bit but could you quicky awnser theses questions?

Does Youtube app support HDR?

Does Netflix support DV, HDR?

How is the performance of the streaming app compare to the C7 built in?

Thanks
Youtube app supports HDR
Netflix app supports DV (currently a bug in it, everything is set to DV)

Don't have a C7.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
post #2326 of 2930 Old 03-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I have lost track of things because I didn't subscribe to this thread while subscribing to the LG OLED and Denon owners threads. So, where does the UP970 stand WRT DV? I know it was included in a recent FW update, then pulled once again, but that's where my knowledge ends.

I don't care a fig about apps, I have streamers, but if I stick a DV content disc into the 970 I want to be sure that DV is working. Or, are we still waiting for that to happen?

What are the chances that a new HDR10/DV capable model is on the edge of release as I write this? I mean here I am with a new 2017 Denon AVR and an LG 65C7 waiting for 4K player that will do both formats.
post #2327 of 2930 Old 03-03-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfella View Post
I have lost track of things because I didn't subscribe to this thread while subscribing to the LG OLED and Denon owners threads. So, where does the UP970 stand WRT DV? I know it was included in a recent FW update, then pulled once again, but that's where my knowledge ends.

I don't care a fig about apps, I have streamers, but if I stick a DV content disc into the 970 I want to be sure that DV is working. Or, are we still waiting for that to happen?

What are the chances that a new HDR10/DV capable model is on the edge of release as I write this? I mean here I am with a new 2017 Denon AVR and an LG 65C7 waiting for 4K player that will do both formats.
DV firmware has been released.

Vizio P65-C1 (2016)
Onkyo Tx-NR656 (5.1.2 setup)
JBL Studio S-Center, JBL Studio S26ii (FL/FR), JBL N24 (LS/RS), JBL N24 (Overhead Atmos), JBL Studio SUB250
Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro / Fire Stick 4K
post #2328 of 2930 Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
DV firmware has been released.
Thank you!
post #2329 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
Youtube app supports HDR
Netflix app supports DV (currently a bug in it, everything is set to DV)

Don't have a C7.
Is there anywhere that you can see what Netflix content is supposed to only be HDR10?
post #2330 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hdr10

I'm confused, does the LG UP970 support HDR10 or just HDR and DV?
post #2331 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal.d View Post
I'm confused, does the LG UP970 support HDR10 or just HDR and DV?
HDR10 and Dolby Vision are just different formats of HDR. Everything that is HDR supports HDR10. Only some things support DV.
post #2332 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Blade Runner 2049 4K UHD, DV, or not?
post #2333 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
It is not.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System • SVS SB-1000
post #2334 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Got the notice on my July 2017 build unit about a newer firmware, and indeed it is: BD.39338.80207.C

Installed it, and the issue is that DVD rewind is broken again. The prior firmware BD39338.80123.C had fixed that issue, so looks like a regression cropped up.

Time to open up a ticket with LG.

<edit> If anyone else has encountered this, please feel free to contact LG and reference this ticket number that I filed for this issue: GCN180219077145
I also ran into this issue after applying the 80207.C firmware. In reviewing this thread it was mentioned that LG Support took a person through a Factory reset which solved the problem. I gave that a try and it also solved the rewind problem for me. Firmware stayed the same version. Access it through Settings > Others > Initialize > Factory Set. You will have to setup your network again.

MrPopman - Anybody want to play a game of Pinball?
post #2335 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I can stream it in 4K DV, and the Blu-ray disc is HDR10 only? What's up with that?
post #2336 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, bought it from blu-rayshop.gr.

LG 55C7V, LG UP970
post #2337 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilija34 View Post
Yes, bought it from blu-rayshop.gr.
https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/52...ahdbluray.html

Quote:
While I absolutely love the Dolby Vision application and wish it was available on this disc, I'm still very pleased with the included HDR10 application on the 4K Blu-ray. It's a beautiful image and doesn't come packed in with compression issues or data fluctuations that can arise from streaming.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System • SVS SB-1000
post #2338 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbear11 View Post
I have the an LG C6P...also Amazon Basic HDMI Cable. Did you confirm Deep Color is turned on, in your TV's settings? I believe its under "General" in the LG settings it will be labelled"HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color"...make sure this is turned on for whatever port your HDMI cable is plugged in to.

You'll see a pop-up in the top right corner that will either say HDR or Dolby Vision, depending on the movie. HDR was supported out of the box with this player, so you should at least see that pop up.
Thanks. Enabling that does show the "HDR" popup.

The main problem now is that after enabling that and restarting everything, on all the discs I tried (hdr/4k, and normal blu-ray) every so often it will cut out to black for a couple seconds, as if something crashes and recovers.

David
post #2339 of 2930 Old 03-04-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPopman View Post
I also ran into this issue after applying the 80207.C firmware. In reviewing this thread it was mentioned that LG Support took a person through a Factory reset which solved the problem. I gave that a try and it also solved the rewind problem for me. Firmware stayed the same version. Access it through Settings > Others > Initialize > Factory Set. You will have to setup your network again.
Tried this, no joy for me, unfortunately.
post #2340 of 2930 Old 03-05-2018, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdj777 View Post
Thanks. Enabling that does show the "HDR" popup.

The main problem now is that after enabling that and restarting everything, on all the discs I tried (hdr/4k, and normal blu-ray) every so often it will cut out to black for a couple seconds, as if something crashes and recovers.
You are showing a classic case of an under achieving HDMI cable. Make sure the cables you are using are premium certified ones that come with the accompanying hologram seal on the package. Monoprice is a good place to purchase these at a decent price.

alexbarbel and digitalbear11 like this.

Main 4K Setup: LG OLED55E6P, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR X-4500H,AudioSource 2 channel amp,(3) Hsu CCB-8 bookshelf speakers, (2) Hsu HB-1 speakers,(Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands, (4) Dayton Audio IO655B speakers, Hsu VTF-2 and VTF-3 subs, 10" Monolith THX sub, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire TV4K, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page