Official LG UP970 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3211Likes

post #2761 of 2895 Old 07-05-2018, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
can you try to rename a mkv to m2ts and see of its playable? I swore that someone said that here, i just cannot find it now to ask him.
I did try that but no go unfortunately. I too had read something along those lines.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2895 Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
The problem is that with Simplink turned off you do not get any audio over ARC to your AVR at any time.
What I want is to be able to put the 9070, which is connected to my AVR, in standby and still be able to get audio via ARC to my AVR from the apps on the TV or from an HDD connected to the TV. I can't figure out how to do this yet.
Why do you say we don't get any audio over ARC with Simplink turned off? I am getting audio over ARC just fine since I turned Simplink off. Was watching Netflix from my TV in Surround Sound through my AVR last night no different then before. I also checked Directv connected to my AVR and it worked just fine as well. Curious why it does not work for you if it works for me with my setup.
post #2763 of 2895 Old 07-10-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikez28 View Post
Why do you say we don't get any audio over ARC with Simplink turned off? I am getting audio over ARC just fine since I turned Simplink off. Was watching Netflix from my TV in Surround Sound through my AVR last night no different then before. I also checked Directv connected to my AVR and it worked just fine as well. Curious why it does not work for you if it works for me with my setup.
That's very odd. As soon as I turn simolink off I lose ARC and that is exactly the reason I had it turned on before I had the 970. I'm not the only one either. A number of others on the LG 2017 OLED thread have reported the same issue.
I'm going to double check this though right now and will report my result.
Right, I just checked and when simplink is off I do lose ARC. However sound comes over the TVs internal speakers loud and clear. Are you certain that you are not confusing the two ?
I suppose we must bear in mind that we are probably using different AVRs. I'm using the Arcam AVR 850, but I don't think that should make any difference.
This is odd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 2895 Old 07-10-2018, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hunted down what LG has to say and they clearly state that you must have simplink On to play ARC .

https://www.lg.com/uk/support/produc...6020872-others

I attach a file of the relevant bit.
I think that you must be getting your audio by another route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG ARC Config.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	2426694  

post #2765 of 2895 Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Simplink must be on for ARC to function. Auto Power Sync however, which is another setting within the Simplink menu item, does not need to be on for ARC to function. My suspicion is that you either are hearing audio from your tv speakers or you have some other path, like an optical connection, that is being used.
alexbarbel likes this.

Mark
post #2766 of 2895 Old 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Very Strange! I have the x2200 with Directv, Samsung K8500 UHD Player, and now the new LG UBK90 each connected to the AVR. The x2200 is the only HDMI connection to my 55B6P, which is connected to the ARC input. No other inputs are connected to the TV. I do not have an optical connection either.

I am 100% getting surround sound through my AVR and all 7 speakers and sub watching either Netflix or Vudu through the built in TV apps, or Directv. I know it's not the TV itself I am hearing. There is a drastic difference between the 2, and the sub is on. If it was the TV, I would not be hearing the thumping from my sub. And the LG UBK90 is not turning on at all any more on it's own.

Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that I have a 2016 6 series, not a 2017 7 series or 2018 8 series? I know 2016 TV's can't do Atmos over ARC like the 2017's and forward can do, so the setup may be different. Or do you think it's because I am US? It looks like the link you sent is UK. Also, I did not turn off Simplink the way that you show in the attachment. I did it in the General settings, not Sound settings. I will look at my settings again later tonight and let you know how I have it set up.
post #2767 of 2895 Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Very Strange! I have the x2200 with Directv, Samsung K8500 UHD Player, and now the new LG UBK90 each connected to the AVR. The x2200 is the only HDMI connection to my 55B6P, which is connected to the ARC input. No other inputs are connected to the TV. I do not have an optical connection either.

I am 100% getting surround sound through my AVR and all 7 speakers and sub watching either Netflix or Vudu through the built in TV apps, or Directv. I know it's not the TV itself I am hearing. There is a drastic difference between the 2, and the sub is on. If it was the TV, I would not be hearing the thumping from my sub. And the LG UBK90 is not turning on at all any more on it's own.

Do you think it has anything to do with the fact that I have a 2016 6 series, not a 2017 7 series or 2018 8 series? I know 2016 TV's can't do Atmos over ARC like the 2017's and forward can do, so the setup may be different. Or do you think it's because I am US? It looks like the link you sent is UK. Also, I did not turn off Simplink the way that you show in the attachment. I did it in the General settings, not Sound settings. I will look at my settings again later tonight and let you know how I have it set up.
Just so we are all on the same page, we are only discussing the Simplink settings on the LG TV not on any other devices. Also, make sure you check the settings in both places, under the Sound settings and under the General settings on the LG TV. Finally, in the Sound settings tell us what you have it set to. The only thing that should be checked is under Single Sound Out, Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC).

Mark
post #2768 of 2895 Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Just so we are all on the same page, we are only discussing the Simplink settings on the LG TV not on any other devices. Also, make sure you check the settings in both places, under the Sound settings and under the General settings on the LG TV. Finally, in the Sound settings tell us what you have it set to. The only thing that should be checked is under Single Sound Out, Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC).
I will definitely check the settings under Sound and General on the LG TV tonight. I have never touched the Sound settings on the LG TV, so they should be at whatever default is. I only touched the General settings on the LG TV. I will take pics of the settings.
post #2769 of 2895 Old 07-11-2018, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I just turn off Simplink and use an optical cable from the TV to the Receiver.
post #2770 of 2895 Old 07-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Well I was wrong and feel like a complete idiot. I was getting audio from my Directv box because that input is plugged in to the AVR. ARC IS NOT working from my internal TV apps with SIMPLINK OFF. My sincere apologies to all who are reading this.

I will keep Simplink OFF so the LG player won't keep automatically turning on when I turn the TV on. I will just turn Simplink back ON when I want surround sound through an internal TV app (which I do not do very often).

The only way I can see around this is to not use the internal TV apps, get something like a Chromecast Ultra (for Netflix and Vudu), and keep that plugged in to the AVR instead of the TV.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #2771 of 2895 Old 07-13-2018, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I was wrong and feel like a complete idiot. I was getting audio from my Directv box because that input is plugged in to the AVR. ARC IS NOT working from my internal TV apps with SIMPLINK OFF. My sincere apologies to all who are reading this.

I will keep Simplink OFF so the LG player won't keep automatically turning on when I turn the TV on. I will just turn Simplink back ON when I want surround sound through an internal TV app (which I do not do very often).

The only way I can see around this is to not use the internal TV apps, get something like a Chromecast Ultra (for Netflix and Vudu), and keep that plugged in to the AVR instead of the TV.
No need for any apologies.
Our systems are becoming ever more complex and it sometimes can get confusing as to exactly what is doing what and which button you need to press to have things happen as required.
It's just good that the mystery is solved.

post #2772 of 2895 Old 07-13-2018, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

It's a shame that the LG UP970 does not embrace more apps. I don't have Netflix or Vudu, but do have an Amazon Prime account, so I access that through the 970.

Interesting thing, & I guess I'll need to find time to look in detail at my Simplink set-up, but I'm running the 970 through a Denon X1400H to an LG B7 with Simplink on. If I turn the TV on it does not automatically turn the 970 on, even if the AVR is turned to that input. But when I turn the TV off (After watching a Movie, for instance), it DOES automatically turn off the 970. That's actually the perfect set-up for me, but I wonder if that is something to do with the 7 series TV's.
post #2773 of 2895 Old 07-13-2018, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude Abides View Post
It's a shame that the LG UP970 does not embrace more apps. I don't have Netflix or Vudu, but do have an Amazon Prime account, so I access that through the 970.

Interesting thing, & I guess I'll need to find time to look in detail at my Simplink set-up, but I'm running the 970 through a Denon X1400H to an LG B7 with Simplink on. If I turn the TV on it does not automatically turn the 970 on, even if the AVR is turned to that input. But when I turn the TV off (After watching a Movie, for instance), it DOES automatically turn off the 970. That's actually the perfect set-up for me, but I wonder if that is something to do with the 7 series TV's.
Not sure what's happening there because I have a B7 and if I have Simplink On then the 970 turns on and off with the TV.
Like you though, I would prefer it to just turn off with the TV. You've been lucky there.

post #2774 of 2895 Old 07-13-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Not sure what's happening there because I have a B7 and if I have Simplink On then the 970 turns on and off with the TV.
Like you though, I would prefer it to just turn off with the TV. You've been lucky there.
Yes it's perfect. I should add that turning the 970 on turns the TV on, but turning the 970 off does not turn off the TV!
post #2775 of 2895 Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Any reason to pick up this player over the Sony X700 which also has DV and is cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2776 of 2895 Old 07-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatJohann View Post
Any reason to pick up this player over the Sony X700 which also has DV and is cheaper?
If you're going to play UHD Blu-ray with DV, the Sony requires you to find a setting in the menu and turn on the DV decoding each time a DV disc is played, then manually turn it back off for a disc that only has HDR10 encoding. Obviously you have to know if a disc has DV and it's sometimes hard to tell from the packaging...very small logo or none at all. It could be a hit or miss situation. The UP970 recognizes the DV flag and goes into that mode automatically. Sony should have done the same thing.

If you look around you can find the UP970 considerably cheaper than the X700.
post #2777 of 2895 Old 07-13-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post
If you're going to play UHD Blu-ray with DV, the Sony requires you to find a setting in the menu and turn on the DV decoding each time a DV disc is played, then manually turn it back off for a disc that only has HDR10 encoding. Obviously you have to know if a disc has DV and it's sometimes hard to tell from the packaging...very small logo or none at all. It could be a hit or miss situation. The UP970 recognizes the DV flag and goes into that mode automatically. Sony should have done the same thing.

Absolutely. The inability of the Sony to Automatically Recognise if a Disc is DV or not is ridiculous. And the LG is not expensive at all
post #2778 of 2895 Old 07-14-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post

Have you got any idea why some packaging does not show the Dolby Vision logo ? You would think they would be making a big deal of it. I just wonder if they are a bit reluctant to push it due to the problems of implementation of DV that we have seen. Now that those issues seem to be coming to an end we may see more positive marketing.
TheDude Abides likes this.

post #2779 of 2895 Old 07-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 36
LG UP970 Intermittent Static

Hello,

I just purchased the LG UP970 Blu Ray player and connected it to the Blu Ray HDMI input on my Marantz SR5012 receiver which is connected to my LG C8 TV using ARC HDMI. When I play any blu ray disc I get intermittent snow on the TV screen. I exchanged the player and same issue. I bought new HDMI cables, checked all the connections and same intermittent static. As a last resort because of the easy location I plugged it into the Aux 1 input on the front of the receiver and everything worked fine. I unplugged it and plugged it into the back of the receiver to the BLU Ray input again and the intermittent snow appeared again while playing several different discs. Is there something I am missing something or is there something different with the Aux 1 input that allows the player to function properly when connected to it vs. the correct Blu Ray input on the back of the receiver?

Feedback and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

PG
post #2780 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG55 View Post
Hello,

I just purchased the LG UP970 Blu Ray player and connected it to the Blu Ray HDMI input on my Marantz SR5012 receiver which is connected to my LG C8 TV using ARC HDMI. When I play any blu ray disc I get intermittent snow on the TV screen. I exchanged the player and same issue. I bought new HDMI cables, checked all the connections and same intermittent static. As a last resort because of the easy location I plugged it into the Aux 1 input on the front of the receiver and everything worked fine. I unplugged it and plugged it into the back of the receiver to the BLU Ray input again and the intermittent snow appeared again while playing several different discs. Is there something I am missing something or is there something different with the Aux 1 input that allows the player to function properly when connected to it vs. the correct Blu Ray input on the back of the receiver?

Thanks

PG
Just to confirm, this is happening with regular Blu Ray Disks as well as 4K Disks & Dolby Vision Disks?
post #2781 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks

PG

I have an onkyo rz820 and was having issues with my LG UP970, PS4 PRO, and Apple TV 4K with cutting in and out. I could get the devices working fine by plugging them into the TV but not the receiver. After days of trying new cable and settings I figured out ports 1,2,3 work fine with 4K HDR and Dolby Vision across the three devices but HDMI ports 4-6 don’t work at all. You may be having the same issues. I would guess it’s the receiver more than anything else. (I also have the C8).

post #2782 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks

PG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude Abides View Post
Just to confirm, this is happening with regular Blu Ray Disks as well as 4K Disks & Dolby Vision Disks?
I just checked the Manual for the Marantz receiver, & the Aux 1 input is supposed to be to exactly the same specification as the rear inputs. Have you tried plugging the UP970 into any of the other HDMI inputs on the rear of the receiver? They all have identical specs according to the Manual, the marking as Blu Ray is purely a convenience. If you get no problem with one of the other inputs, then the problem is with the Blu Ray input, IMO.
post #2783 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 AM

It is happening with all discs. Techsilver 13 may be correct. I called Marantz and they suggested I use the ports closest to the source meaning the CD port on the receiver which is on the other end of the panel from the bluray port. They claim 4K is a lot of data and the shorter distance will eliminate the static and intermittent snow. Sounds odd but I will try it tonight and update.

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #2784 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
It is happening with all discs. Techsilver 13 may be correct. I called Marantz and they suggested I use the ports closest to the source meaning the CD port on the receiver which is on the other end of the panel from the bluray port. They claim 4K is a lot of data and the shorter distance will eliminate the static and intermittent snow. Sounds odd but I will try it tonight and update.
Wow! That does indeed sound odd! I mean, you will still be plugging in the same HDMI cable, just to a different input. PLUS as you say it happens with all discs, so including standard Blu Rays, which are not carrying 4K info!
Sorry, but it really sounds like they were feeding you horse doo-doo. Sounds more like an answer from a character from the IT Crowd.

i would suggest trying ALL the other inputs one by one, & see if the Blu Ray input is the only one giving problems. If so, it's faulty & Marantz are just trying to avoid doing something about it.

I look forward to hearing how the tests go
post #2785 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 39
i knew it was a bare bones player when i bought it, but with a little effort from LG this player could easily perform a lot better. or simply adding the PLEX app would help tremendously. saying this, the following are my issues and my highlights.

issues:

ive found that the USB port on this player is less than optimal. playing my bluray rips from a hard drive, it will not read Dolby True HD audio, DTS HD is fine. It also struggles with subtitles as well. Some embedded subtitles work, others do not, and the player does not allow me to turn on subtitles on some titles. I do not use any compression when ripping my blurays. 4K material playback from the USB is also hit and miss.

if anyone has had better success please post what u have been able to get to work and how.

only other issue has been that my receiver (non-4k) does not like the players dual HDMI outs. i can not get audio from the receiver if the players HDMI 2 is going to the receiver with the players HDMI 1 going to the tv and the out from the receiver into the ARC HDMI for the tv. will not handshake properly. and yes, ive tried everything (pretty sure, probably).

remote blows chunks. how can remotes in 2018 not be back lit? not very responsive either.

highlights:

the YouTube app is awesome. It has VMR9 playback which allows for 4K HDR playback. YouTube just needs more watchable material. Live sports maybe?

My discs have played back flawlessly. My tv has Dolby Vision and the discs look great! Cant' complain at all on playback.
post #2786 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:

I talked to support where I bought my Onkyo RZ820 and they said the same thing Marantz did. Use the ports closest to the input from the tv because ports further away will cause issues with most hdmi cables. They recommended the following cable: Belkin Ultra High Speed 4K HDMI Cable (2m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/HLL52ZM/A

I will test them tonight since I bought them earlier today. People will say 48Gbps is horse poo but if my other inputs work with this cable then it’s not horse poo. I’ll let you all know tonight.

post #2787 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 04:58 PM

I am surprised there isn't anything published from Onkyo or Marantz or any of the manufacturers about this issue since it seems to affect quite a few systems? It would save a lot of time and energy if they put it in the manuals?

Anxious to see if the new HDMI cables work in the closer ports.

Thanks for the update!

PG

LG-OLED 65C8PUA
Marantz-SR5012
Sony-UBP X-800, Roku Ultra 4K
Front L&R-Monitor Audio Silver 300's, Center-MA Silver C350, Surrounds-MA Silver FX
Sub Woofers-Paradigm Reference Millenia (2)
post #2788 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 05:41 PM

Ok so I tried the Belkin 48Gbps HDMI cable from the Apple store. I bought two, one to run from the receiver to the TV and one from my Apple TV to the receiver. I turned Dolby Vision on and did the check cable through the Apple TV and this cable PASSED unlike any other cable I have tested. I have tried Audio Quest Sky HDMI cable (certified 4K), Monoprice certified 4K HDMI cables and they wouldn’t pass the check cable test. I ran a Dolby Vision movies from the Apple TV and had zero drop outs. All of this was done with the furthest port away from the input HDMI cable to the TV.

TheDude Abides likes this.
post #2789 of 2895 Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I am surprised there isn't anything published from Onkyo or Marantz or any of the manufacturers about this issue since it seems to affect quite a few systems? It would save a lot of time and energy if they put it in the manuals?

Anxious to see if the new HDMI cables work in the closer ports.

Thanks for the update!

PG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSilver13 View Post
Ok so I tried the Belkin 48Gbps HDMI cable from the Apple store. I bought two, one to run from the receiver to the TV and one from my Apple TV to the receiver. I turned Dolby Vision on and did the check cable through the Apple TV and this cable PASSED unlike any other cable I have tested. I have tried Audio Quest Sky HDMI cable (certified 4K), Monoprice certified 4K HDMI cables and they wouldn’t pass the check cable test. I ran a Dolby Vision movies from the Apple TV and had zero drop outs. All of this was done with the furthest port away from the input HDMI cable to the TV.

I also have the Belkin 48Gbps cables UP970 to Receiver, Apple TV 4K to Receiver & Receiver to TV, after trying Audio Quest Pearl & Belkin High Speed cables, and with the earlier cables I always got snow when trying to watch DV titles. Interesting that these Belkin 48Gbps cables make the whole problem go away; especially as they only come in 2 meter length, so the signal "path" is longer in total! The advise from Onkyo & Marantz seems to indicate that the primary port circuitry connections are straight behind the first port / TV out area, & that the cabling from the other ports is actually not high quality enough to overcome some form of signal degradation, otherwise whatever cable you used, you would get snow on none or on all! Maybe there is a technical explanation that indicates another reason that the nearest port is the most "stable", but to me as a relative layman, the only difference between these ports is the internal cabling length.
post #2790 of 2895 Old 07-18-2018, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Official LG UP970 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
i knew it was a bare bones player when i bought it, but with a little effort from LG this player could easily perform a lot better. or simply adding the PLEX app would help tremendously. saying this, the following are my issues and my highlights.

issues:

ive found that the USB port on this player is less than optimal. playing my bluray rips from a hard drive, it will not read Dolby True HD audio, DTS HD is fine. It also struggles with subtitles as well. Some embedded subtitles work, others do not, and the player does not allow me to turn on subtitles on some titles. I do not use any compression when ripping my blurays. 4K material playback from the USB is also hit and miss.

if anyone has had better success please post what u have been able to get to work and how.

only other issue has been that my receiver (non-4k) does not like the players dual HDMI outs. i can not get audio from the receiver if the players HDMI 2 is going to the receiver with the players HDMI 1 going to the tv and the out from the receiver into the ARC HDMI for the tv. will not handshake properly. and yes, ive tried everything (pretty sure, probably).

remote blows chunks. how can remotes in 2018 not be back lit? not very responsive either.

highlights:

the YouTube app is awesome. It has VMR9 playback which allows for 4K HDR playback. YouTube just needs more watchable material. Live sports maybe?

My discs have played back flawlessly. My tv has Dolby Vision and the discs look great! Cant' complain at all on playback.

When ripping your Blurays with Dolby TrueHD or Atmos, simply copy the main m2ts file (don’t remux it as an mkv). That’s the only way the player will recognize lossless Dolby tracks. For DTSMA and Neural X, mkv works fine.

I had an issue early on in regards to playback, and it may be what you’re experiencing. I would go to play an mkv file and it would load for a while and then give me an error. After some trial and error, I noticed all the mkvs giving me issues had a TrueHD or Atmos track. Even though the second track was a legacy DD5.1 track, it couldn’t read it. So I removed the lossless audio track and left the legacy one, resulting in an mkv that gave me no issues.

Granted, I wanted lossless audio so I had to re-rip some of my movies as m2ts. But if you don’t feel like re-ripping and are ok with vanilla Dolby Digital, you can just remove the lossless track.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

Last edited by Big Brad; 07-18-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page