Official LG UP970 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3209Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2851 of 2891 Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 PM
Newbie
 
asdasd123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is it possible to revert back to older firmware? I'm not happy with Dolby Vision. Or has anyone resolved Dolby Vision AV sync issues with Denon X4500H and LG E6?
asdasd123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2852 of 2891 Old 11-23-2018, 01:32 PM
Member
 
Pmilano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd123 View Post
Is it possible to revert back to older firmware? I'm not happy with Dolby Vision. Or has anyone resolved Dolby Vision AV sync issues with Denon X4500H and LG E6?
I have the Onkyo TX-RZ720 and I have no synchronization problem.
Pmilano is offline  
post #2853 of 2891 Old 12-01-2018, 04:06 AM
Member
 
shareknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Need help!

I ordered a few Dolby vision disks this black Friday sale.

But i have a Sony dolby vision tv.

Does the Lg Up970 now supports Sony tv Dolby vision profile?

If not, is there any news via a future firmware update?


Thanks in advance
shareknow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2854 of 2891 Old 12-03-2018, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,814
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Well, I have found that this player set to RGB, while the display is set to auto, makes for an amazingly sharp and detailed picture.

This has only, been tested with DV content and after a two-point that calibration that I chose to use after a SDR calibration.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
DisplayCalNoob is offline  
post #2855 of 2891 Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
DJ Lushious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Well, I have found that this player set to RGB, while the display is set to auto, makes for an amazingly sharp and detailed picture.

This has only, been tested with DV content and after a two-point that calibration that I chose to use after a SDR calibration.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
As opposed to the picture quality looking like what with any of the other video settings?


I thought I had been free of this player's disc drive vibration issue after putting a 2-channel amp on it. I've not had any problems for a very long time until I watched Rampage last week. Not only were the vibrations occurring, but it was excessively loud.



I bought the player Geek Squad refurbished, so I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to get it fixed with LG. And I'd hate to spend the money on a new UHD Blu-Ray player...
DJ Lushious is offline  
post #2856 of 2891 Old 12-04-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,814
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post
As opposed to the picture quality looking like what with any of the other video settings?


I thought I had been free of this player's disc drive vibration issue after putting a 2-channel amp on it. I've not had any problems for a very long time until I watched Rampage last week. Not only were the vibrations occurring, but it was excessively loud.



I bought the player Geek Squad refurbished, so I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to get it fixed with LG. And I'd hate to spend the money on a new UHD Blu-Ray player...
Turns out, it can only be used with a proper calibration of the EOTF, RGB lowers some brightness above 100nits. The brightest parts are bright but some of lower nit highlights lose some punch. But colors and blacks are deeper without any sign crush, even shadow detail.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
DisplayCalNoob is offline  
post #2857 of 2891 Old 12-05-2018, 03:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lushious View Post


I thought I had been free of this player's disc drive vibration issue after putting a 2-channel amp on it. I've not had any problems for a very long time until I watched Rampage last week. Not only were the vibrations occurring, but it was excessively loud.



I bought the player Geek Squad refurbished, so I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to get it fixed with LG. And I'd hate to spend the money on a new UHD Blu-Ray player...
I found that a little bit of pressure on the top of my player stopped the noise, so I put my cable box on it and since then, no noise. May not work in your case, but worth a try!
Rudy1 and Cowboy X like this.
TheDude Abides is offline  
post #2858 of 2891 Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Sampling frequencies ? Can some one explain there are three
kgveteran is offline  
post #2859 of 2891 Old 12-23-2018, 04:48 PM
Member
 
shareknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shareknow View Post
Need help!

I ordered a few Dolby vision disks this black Friday sale.

But i have a Sony dolby vision tv.

Does the Lg Up970 now supports Sony tv Dolby vision profile?

If not, is there any news via a future firmware update?


Thanks in advance
I have sent an email to Lg support, no one seems to have an answer

Sony 55A8F OLED TV, Sony X900E LCD TV, Yamaha RX-A3050 reciever, Epson 5300 1080p projector, SVS Ultra Tower Surround Sound 7.1.2 system, SVS PB2000 Subwoofer, SVS SB1000 Subwoofer, Marantz UD7007 Universal Disc Player, LG UP970 UHD Player, Braun 16:9 projector screen.
shareknow is offline  
post #2860 of 2891 Old 01-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
NoUDont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Miramar, FL
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am looking to buy a special edition version of Schindler's List from a UK store.


It comes with the 4K version along with the regular bluray.


My only concern is that the 4K version will play on our player. Ive read that 4K discs are region free, is that true?
NoUDont is offline  
post #2861 of 2891 Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,409
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2093
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
I am looking to buy a special edition version of Schindler's List from a UK store.


It comes with the 4K version along with the regular bluray.


My only concern is that the 4K version will play on our player. Ive read that 4K discs are region free, is that true?
UHD discs are region free. The regular Blu-ray disc may be region locked, though.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #2862 of 2891 Old 01-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
NoUDont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Miramar, FL
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
UHD discs are region free. The regular Blu-ray disc may be region locked, though.

Great! Thank you.



Not concerned with the Blurays at all. Coasters.
NoUDont is offline  
post #2863 of 2891 Old 01-18-2019, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
DJ Lushious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 116
My UP970 is giving me audible disc vibrations with nearly every UHD Blu_Ray I play. And that is with a 2-channel amp on top of it. I bought the player Geek Squad refurbished, so there's not really anything I can do through LG to get this fixed at a low cost, is there? Is the LG UBK90 my best bet for a replacement player that has Dolby Vision (where I don't have to manually set the HDR option)? I just hate to spend the ~$300 on a replacement player.
DJ Lushious is offline  
post #2864 of 2891 Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shareknow View Post
I have sent an email to Lg support, no one seems to have an answer
Any response from LG?
BadBanana is offline  
post #2865 of 2891 Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kgveteran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Hello all, my 970 cant lock on 2160 when i select it in the resolution menu, it kicks back to auto when I attempt to select with a warning
kgveteran is offline  
post #2866 of 2891 Old 02-09-2019, 12:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
collin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got a UP970 and am trying it out for the first time tonight. I started playing Spiderman Homecoming 4K UHD disc immediately to experiment and it worked fine. I went back out to the Home menu to finish configuring things, set the wifi networking, and checked for updates.

It download the firmware over wifi (unfortunately, I didn't take note of what version the old and new was, but the driver version of the new was blank.) and said there shouldn't be a disc inserted during update and ejected the tray. I didn't take the disc out though, assuming leaving it ejected was enough. It then did the update progress bar and at some point it finished, pulled the drive tray in and showed the LG boot logo, then black screen, then the TV indicates no signal.

Now nothing happens. If I power off (red LED) then power on (green LED, drive noise), the LG boot logo will show for about half a second, then black screen, then no signal. The LED remains green and blinks if I send remote commands, but nothing ever happens.

Did the firmware update brick the player? Was it because I left the disc in the tray?

Any way to recover? I haven't found a firmware download yet to try manually updating via USB or disc.

Last edited by collin; 02-09-2019 at 12:29 AM.
collin is offline  
post #2867 of 2891 Old 02-15-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
collin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can somebody share the part or model number of the remote that comes with the UP970?
collin is offline  
post #2868 of 2891 Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
NoUDont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Miramar, FL
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post
Can somebody share the part or model number of the remote that comes with the UP970?
Number on remote is AKB75135301
collin and Cowboy X like this.
NoUDont is offline  
post #2869 of 2891 Old 02-16-2019, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
collin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post
I got a UP970 and am trying it out for the first time tonight. I started playing Spiderman Homecoming 4K UHD disc immediately to experiment and it worked fine. I went back out to the Home menu to finish configuring things, set the wifi networking, and checked for updates.

It download the firmware over wifi (unfortunately, I didn't take note of what version the old and new was, but the driver version of the new was blank.) and said there shouldn't be a disc inserted during update and ejected the tray. I didn't take the disc out though, assuming leaving it ejected was enough. It then did the update progress bar and at some point it finished, pulled the drive tray in and showed the LG boot logo, then black screen, then the TV indicates no signal.

Now nothing happens. If I power off (red LED) then power on (green LED, drive noise), the LG boot logo will show for about half a second, then black screen, then no signal. The LED remains green and blinks if I send remote commands, but nothing ever happens.

Did the firmware update brick the player? Was it because I left the disc in the tray?

Any way to recover? I haven't found a firmware download yet to try manually updating via USB or disc.
Update for future reference in case somebody else runs into this problem:

I was about to send this player back to LG so they could do a manual reflash when I saw somebody on blu-ray_com mention that they ran into this and the problem was related to Deep Color. So after I saw that, I turned off deep color on my TV (LG OLED65B7A) and could now boot the player and see the menus and start up the disc. I had assumed there was some sort of firmware update failure and that the player was not able to completely boot itself after the update, but it was actually booting up but some sort of incompatibility between what signal it was putting out and the Deep Color setting on the TV prevented anything from being displayed.

But after that I still could not turn on Deep Color without everything going black until I turned it off. When playing an HDR disc (testing with Avengers Infinity War), the TV would prompt to turn on Deep Color and not give any option not to, but when I clicked OK (only option), then everything went black again. I went around and around with this fruitlessly for a while. But while looking in the player menus for anything relevant and not finding anything, I finally tried Initialize to factory defaults. That worked so that I could turn on the TV's deep color again and view the player menus.

So, it looks like LG's firmware update has some kind of bug with Deep Color settings after updating and the solution is:

1. Turn off Deep Color on your TV so you can see the player's display/menus again.
2. Initialize to Factory Defaults in the LG players Settings -> Others -> Initialize -> Factory Set. Go back through the Setup process for the player.
3. Turn TV's Deep Color back on.
Bejoy likes this.
collin is offline  
post #2870 of 2891 Old 02-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
bxbigpipi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just saw venom in 4k and it looks amazing.

Bxbigpipi
bxbigpipi is offline  
post #2871 of 2891 Old 02-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Member
 
TechSilver13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: California
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbigpipi View Post
Just saw venom in 4k and it looks amazing.
I didn't think Vemon looked that great. I have about 60 4K Blu Rays and I'd put Venom in the middle of the pack if that. With it being an upscaled 4K movie that's probably why. Nonetheless I love the film! Definitely worth the buy!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
TechSilver13 is offline  
post #2872 of 2891 Old 02-19-2019, 03:59 AM
Senior Member
 
bxbigpipi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 46
[QUOTE=TechSilver13;57623846]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbigpipi View Post
Just saw venom in 4k and it looks amazing.
I didn't think Vemon looked that great. I have about 60 4K Blu Rays and I'd put Venom in the middle of the pack if that. With it being an upscaled 4K movie that's probably why. Nonetheless I love the film! Definitely worth the buy!
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE. I thought the chase scenes and the scenes with venom in them looked great. What are some of your recommendations of better quality 4k's so I can check them out? Thank you for replying.

Bxbigpipi
bxbigpipi is offline  
post #2873 of 2891 Old 02-19-2019, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
NoUDont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Miramar, FL
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[quote=bxbigpipi;57624492]
Quote:
What are some of your recommendations of better quality 4k's so I can check them out? Thank you for replying.
My top 5 for 4K video in order:

Prometheus
BladeRunner 2049
The Revenant
Pacific Rim
The Matrix
NoUDont is offline  
post #2874 of 2891 Old 02-20-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rudy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
[quote=NoUDont;57628840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbigpipi View Post

My top 5 for 4K video in order:

Prometheus
BladeRunner 2049
The Revenant
Pacific Rim
The Matrix
You've got impeccable taste!

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Rudy1 is offline  
post #2875 of 2891 Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,996
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4602 Post(s)
Liked: 2671
[quote=NoUDont;57628840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbigpipi View Post

My top 5 for 4K video in order:

Prometheus
BladeRunner 2049
The Revenant
Pacific Rim
The Matrix
I agree with all of those except "The Matrix". I didn't think the video quality was all that great. I would substitute "Star Trek Beyond" for that one.

lujan
561 Ultra HD
721 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #2876 of 2891 Old 02-20-2019, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
NoUDont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: West Miramar, FL
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
[quote=Rudy1;57630158]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post

You've got impeccable taste!
Thanks Rudy1!


[quote=lujan;57630968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post

I agree with all of those except "The Matrix". I didn't think the video quality was all that great. I would substitute "Star Trek Beyond" for that one.
lujan, the work they did on the transfer for The Matrix is mind blowing. Every detail, from the clothing, to the ships, to the pores on peoples faces are perfect. A 20 year old film looks like they shot it yesterday. A lot of 4k folks dont find film transfers great because of grain, but to me, The Matrix is everything a 4K transfer should be. Of course i respect ur opinion and not every film/transfer is for everyone.
NoUDont is offline  
post #2877 of 2891 Old 02-20-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 767
[quote=NoUDont;57628840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbigpipi View Post

My top 5 for 4K video in order:

Prometheus
BladeRunner 2049
The Revenant
Pacific Rim
The Matrix
Planet Earth 2 is one of my go to demo disks. You can find out which disks are real 4k vs upscales (although I have found some of the upscales to be pretty good) here:
https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #2878 of 2891 Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: U.K.
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 604
[quote=mjwagner;57634394]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
Planet Earth 2 is one of my go to demo disks. You can find out which disks are real 4k vs upscales (although I have found some of the upscales to be pretty good) here:
https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/
Can't argue with that but would add in The Blue Planet II which has some stunning segments.
mjwagner likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
alexbarbel is offline  
post #2879 of 2891 Old 02-21-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mjwagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kutztown, PA
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 767
[quote=alexbarbel;57634966]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwagner View Post
Can't argue with that but would add in The Blue Planet II which has some stunning segments.
Totally agree, I have that one too...

Mark
mjwagner is offline  
post #2880 of 2891 Old 02-21-2019, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,409
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2093
Please continue software discussion in the appropriate area.

Quote:
This area covers Blu-ray & UHD Blu-ray players. Please note this is not the area for software chat.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off