Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4162Likes

post #3001 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
Thank you!

Can I deduce from what you said that for music you also like the sound of the Ayre C-5xeMP better than the Oppo 205 as well? I am asking because the Ayre must be about 6 years old by now which in digital devices is quite a long time.

I own an Apple TV which has Netflix. I am going to check if Apple TV also has the Berlin Phiharmonic app. If both apps are available via Apple TV, then for me that would solve the lack of those two apps in the 205.
You can deduce that. As a reflection of its age, Ayre recommends using an AES connection to the QX-5 Twenty to use its newer DAC process for CDs, and that's what I'm doing now, but the C-5xeMP has an uncanny way of not getting between you and the music.

I'm pretty sure Apple TV has both the Berlin Philharmonic and Netflix apps; FireTV does, and I've used a switch to select DirecTV or FireTV. I forget to mention that the 205 seems to have problems with DirecTV the 105 doesn't, although a previous update cured most of those. I'm currently using the 205 for FireTV and the 105 for DirecTV, with optical from each to the QX-5.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
I'm ok if this is a "feature", not a bug. But it might be nice to have an appropriate error message to upgrade via USB rather than "can't find the server".
I am getting the same thing. I don't recall my 105 doing this when on beta firmware.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #3003 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
I'm ok if this is a "feature", not a bug. But it might be nice to have an appropriate error message to upgrade via USB rather than "can't find the server".
It seems to be a bug. Over in the 203 thread, it was requested to send a log file to Oppo to help them fix this for the future. Fortunately, it's an inconvenience bug and not a critical one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3004 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk
Anyone else have difficulty upgrading to the new MQA firmware via network?

I was running the latest beta (not sure if that was significant) and my 205 said it couldn't connect to the update server despite a connection test working fine.

I had to download the update and update via USB.

Quote:
Yes, this happened to me too.
Mine is doing the same thing. I am reluctant to download to a USB disk and install as the Beta version fixed my issues that started with firmware 0913 and were not corrected with 0922.
I am going to sit this one out and see how it goes with the masses. I see no reason to update since my 205 is finally working correctly.

Pioneer SC-97|Integra ADM-20.4|Sony PS-HX500|OPPO UDP-205|Sony XBR85X900F|DirecTV HR44|AppleTV 4k|Sony PS4|Nintendo WiiU|Amazon Fire TV|Panamax M5400-PM|Harmony Elite|Dolby Atmos 7.2.4|Klipsch: 2 RP-280F, RP-450C, 2 R-115SW, 4 Quintet III, 4 CDT-5800-C II|12AWG|AudioQuest: Vodka HDMI, Golden Gate RCA, USB Noise Filter, Cinnamon USB to DAC
post #3005 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 04:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5848 Post(s)
Liked: 8353
^ USB installs are quick and easy. We Beta Testers do a ton of them.

Official 54-1127 firmware is essentially the re-release of Public Beta 1108B as Official firmware. There are a few additional bug fixes. I'd recommend you do the update.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #3006 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcfer View Post
How do you get MQA to the 205? I have Roon but know it has trouble passing MQA to external dacs , Bluesound comes to mind. Bluesound has an indicator to confirm which level of unfolding is happening with the MQA stream, does the 205 have an indicator? Do I have to use the Tidal app for pc and pass it along to the hdmi in? I was very happy to hear that Oppo supported MQA and would love to see an app like the Sonica app for Tidal for the 205. Oppo continues to add value added features even after original purchase and they should be applauded for it!! Anyone with Roon have a setup that works with MQA and details how to setup the Oppo in Roon( DSP disabled etc?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
Would be nice to list the current options for getting MQA to the 205! Too bad there just isn’t a Tidal app. SJ
Any ideas Bob?
post #3007 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yep! Email OPPO Tech Support for info. They are probably going to have to document this stuff....

You can use the Email Us link found on their Support page for the player, here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-u...5-Support.aspx

In all seriousness, I suspect they'll publish some Knowledge Base articles on this pretty soon, but they haven't done it yet.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #3008 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 06:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Along those lines, I just spotted the following has been added to OPPO's product Features page for the 205:

"Roon Ready
Roon is an incredibly rich and engaging way to browse and organize your music. It runs on most Mac, Windows, and Linux PCs, or on other products which include Roon Core. Being Roon Ready means that the UDP-205 transparently discovers and connects to Roon without any configuration, and bit-perfect audio is delivered from Roon to your UDP-205 player. Together, Roon and OPPO deliver the power, flexibility, and performance of networked audio, with the easiest setup and highest reliability available. The UDP-205 supports streaming stereo PCM audio up to 192 kHz 24-bit from Roon. Learn more about Roon Ready, and sign up for a free 60-day trial by redeeming the code 0PP0-M1NA-MLB4."

The Roon Ready link: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_partner_programs

The 60-day free trial link: https://roonlabs.com/partners/oppo.html

--Bob
AVfile and vavan like this.

post #3009 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OK, some additional tidbits regarding MQA. Please understand that as a Beta Tester I need to be sure OPPO has gone public with stuff before I talk about it.

However, OPPO's brand spanking new MQA announcement on Facebook suffices for that!

MQA support is currently only for Media Files. I.e., the stuff you play via the Music icon on Home Menu.

However, OPPO has now stated they are working on:

1) Support for MQA-CD

2) Support for MQA playback into the Asynchronous DAC Input, and

3) Support for MQA playback into the Optical / Coax Inputs

No time frame has yet been announced.

Is there more? We'll just have to wait and see!
--Bob
SJHT, AVfile, THXTEX1 and 1 others like this.

post #3010 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2441
Nice. Thx Bob.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #3011 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ OK, some additional tidbits regarding MQA. Please understand that as a Beta Tester I need to be sure OPPO has gone public with stuff before I talk about it.

However, OPPO's brand spanking new MQA announcement on Facebook suffices for that!

MQA support is currently only for Media Files. I.e., the stuff you play via the Music icon on Home Menu.

1) Support for MQA-CD

--Bob
I prioritize Async DAC input over anything else since I imagine a fair number of users are doing this (I am). Anything else is gravy.
post #3012 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Depending on how old your prior firmware happened to be, the SACD Output setting may not be doing what you are used to. To test this, set SACD Output PCM and see if your .dsf files now play normally.

If not, describe further what's happening. Are you able to browse to the files on those USB drives? When you select one to play, does the Now Playing screen appear with an advancing time line?
--Bob

I spent considerable time tonight and I am pretty sure that I uncovered a bug with the firmware.
Oppo asked me for further details and below is the response I sent them:

Do a factory RESET on the player. Boot the player up. Start the Oppo app on the smartphone. Attach the USB key and search for the music on USB key using the app.
Click on the .DSF file on the smartphone. The display on the player changes to “Music” and back to “Home Screen”.
Now attach a HDMI cable to the MAIN out and to a monitor. Then click on the .DSF file again. The music starts to play. Now stop the music. Disconnect the HDMI cable. But this time if you click on the .DSF file, the music plays without issue.
So it looks like, when you power-on the player for the first time and it does not find the HDMI connection, then the player will not play .DSF file through the USB flash drive.
This used to work fine (without any HDMI connection) before the Firmware upgrade.
post #3013 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Sounds like a good catch! If you've not already done so, try setting SACD Output PCM and test again without the TV connected. SACD Output Auto or DSD will try to do an HDMI handshake with the HDMI audio output device (the TV if you are using only single HDMI output connected to Main HDMI). This is necessary to discover if that device can accept HDMI DSD or not. The logic for handling that when there is no HDMI connection may be broken.

If SACD Output PCM *WORKS* then it may be possible to simply toggle that back to DSD afterwards (if that's your preferred playback method) without having to do the extra stuff with the HDMI.
--Bob

post #3014 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

1) Support for MQA-CD

--Bob

Thank you Bob. That’s very good information to know.

Just to be sure: does that means that the Oppo 205 cannot (as of yet) unfold the Tidal MQA files from a Roon library?
post #3015 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
Thank you Bob. That’s very good information to know.

Just to be sure: does that means that the Oppo 205 cannot (as of yet) unfold the Tidal MQA files from a Roon library?
Frankly I don't know how Roon sends that stuff to the OPPO. If it sends it as files over the network, to be decoded in the 205, it might work.

If it works, the "MQA Studio" identifier will appear above the time line on the Now Playing page displayed by the 205.

If, on the other hand, the Roon Core is decoding the files and sending an already decoded digital audio stream to the OPPO, then no, that won't work just yet for MQA. The current MQA support in the 205 is part of its handling of music media files.
--Bob

post #3016 of 7070 Old 11-29-2017, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Frankly I don't know how Roon sends that stuff to the OPPO. If it sends it as files over the network, to be decoded in the 205, it might work.

If it works, the "MQA Studio" identifier will appear above the time line on the Now Playing page displayed by the 205.

If, on the other hand, the Roon Core is decoding the files and sending an already decoded digital audio stream to the OPPO, then no, that won't work just yet for MQA. The current MQA support in the 205 is part of its handling of music media files.

--Bob

Thank you Bob.

I just read elsewhere (Roon Labs forums) that the Oppo 205 does NOT support decoding of Tidal MQA files fed via Roon.
post #3017 of 7070 Old 11-30-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked: 806
So, how would one get a MQA music file? Who sells these? Thanks. SJ
post #3018 of 7070 Old 11-30-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post
So, how would one get a MQA music file? Who sells these? Thanks. SJ
http://www.2l.no/hires/

These can be downloaded for free.
SJHT likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #3019 of 7070 Old 11-30-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
^ Sounds like a good catch! If you've not already done so, try setting SACD Output PCM and test again without the TV connected. SACD Output Auto or DSD will try to do an HDMI handshake with the HDMI audio output device (the TV if you are using only single HDMI output connected to Main HDMI). This is necessary to discover if that device can accept HDMI DSD or not. The logic for handling that when there is no HDMI connection may be broken.

If SACD Output PCM *WORKS* then it may be possible to simply toggle that back to DSD afterwards (if that's your preferred playback method) without having to do the extra stuff with the HDMI.
--Bob
I got the following response:

Thanks for the feedback. We are currently looking into this issue and are expecting a fix shortly.
post #3020 of 7070 Old 11-30-2017, 01:50 PM

I also let the know that the "Reset Factory Defaults" option not being available under "Devise Setup", on the smartphone app,
post #3021 of 7070 Old 12-01-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip To View Post
OPPO uses parts and components that are used in a high end player that costs several times higher than an OPPO player. That is why OPOP has its own reputation, and the name OPPO says it all. you might want to watch a video clip from Crutchfield to know more about the 205.
For a complete surround sound system with an audio/video processor, the 205 doesn't make difference from the 203 because any analog signal coming out from the 205 will be re-processed analog-digital-analog thru the audio/video processor. Since you have a pure A class analog integrated amplifier that can yield a super clean signal, the 205 will become an outstanding player. If you decide to choose the 205, you will connect the OPPO HDMI output 1 to your plasma TV. (I'm using the 64" Samsung plasma as well because I'm not happy with any OLED on the market so far.) Connect the OPPO XLR ouputs to your integrated amp XLR input. You will have a super clean audio from the movie. When you're ready to expand your system to 5 or 7 channel surround sound, you can modify your system pretty easily.
Thanks Philip for your precious feedback and clarifications. The 205 is now high on my list.
Looking for it here in Lisbon.
I will let younknow when I buy this beauty.
post #3022 of 7070 Old 12-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OPPO BD205 Plex,Netflix,Amazon prime ..etc

I have to OPPO BD105 which had Netflix app ,very awkward that the 205 doesn't have any media streaming apps with that price tag
I think OPPO 205 is a masterpiece of equipment but they should work on having PLEX and Amazon prime .. Netflix applications so we do not need a separate streaming BOX
thank you
post #3023 of 7070 Old 12-01-2017, 01:09 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4713 Post(s)
Liked: 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrlotus View Post
I have to OPPO BD105 which had Netflix app ,very awkward that the 205 doesn't have any media streaming apps with that price tag
I think OPPO 205 is a masterpiece of equipment but they should work on having PLEX and Amazon prime .. Netflix applications so we do not need a separate streaming BOX
thank you
Welcome to AVSForum.

You need to communicate your needs to OPPO. They are probably not reading every message here.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #3024 of 7070 Old 12-01-2017, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
thank you
I still have just a 105D, and originally thought the 205 with no media streaming was a significant deterrent to upgrading to a 205.

Now however my thinking has changed. For less than a hundred bucks, one can purchase a Roku Ultra (I recently bought one) with vastly more streaming options than the Oppo.

Both my Roku and Oppo are connected via Ethernet, however my Amazon Fire Stick is WiFi and plugged into the rear HDMI input on the Oppo. Of course, both the Oppo and Roku will play Netflix and Amazon Prime just fine, but the Roku provides a slightly better experience. For me the Roku interface and access to streaming channels is more user friendly and quicker than my Oppo.

And even though I kind of expected a slight benefit by using the Oppo’s video processing on the Fire Stick, I can’t honestly see any difference on my 118” JVC RS6710 projected image.

So, someday in the distant future when I upgrade to 4K, I won’t worry about the Oppo’s lack of streaming options as the current and cheep Rokus are already 4K and HDR capable.
post #3025 of 7070 Old 12-02-2017, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 13
USB playback of external hard drive to OPPO

I want to backup all of my CD's to an external hard drive. As a test I burned one CD to my WD Elements external hard drive, I chose MP3 format with the highest bitrate setting. When I connected to OPPO front USB connection, WD Elements was recognized. But playback was only audible via the analog connections to my Marantz receiver. When I selected HDMI on receiver (shows nice CD artwork on TV) no audio is present. Is this normal? Also should I choose a better format than MP3? I want the best audio and have a 3TB external hard drive and about 300 CD's.

Thanks for any help

post #3026 of 7070 Old 12-02-2017, 08:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4713 Post(s)
Liked: 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfunk View Post
I want to backup all of my CD's to an external hard drive. As a test I burned one CD to my WD Elements external hard drive, I chose MP3 format with the highest bitrate setting. When I connected to OPPO front USB connection, WD Elements was recognized. But playback was only audible via the analog connections to my Marantz receiver. When I selected HDMI on receiver (shows nice CD artwork on TV) no audio is present. Is this normal? Also should I choose a better format than MP3? I want the best audio and have a 3TB external hard drive and about 300 CD's.

Thanks for any help
FLAC is a higher quality format but gives you only about 2:1 compression as opposed to something like 10:1 for mp3, depending on parameters.

Are you getting HDMI audio out from the player normally, say from optical discs like CD, DVD, Blu-ray?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #3027 of 7070 Old 12-02-2017, 08:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfunk View Post

Thanks for any help
I'm assuming you are using dual HDMI cabling: Main HDMI direct to the TV and Audio HDMI to your Marantz Receiver.

All of the audio outputs are live at the same time unless you have explicitly set HDMI Audio to OFF in Setup. So check that. Another possibility is that you have the audio HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI Input socket of the 205 instead of into the Audio HDMI output. And then another possibility is that you have not plugged it into the correct socket on your Receiver. Or simply that that the plug has come loose at one end or the other.

-------------------------

mp3 format is lossy, compressed audio. It would be better to rip your CDs in a lossless format, such as full bit rate WAV, or FLAC. The lossless formats will take up more space, and thus limit how many CDs you can fit on the drive.
--Bob

post #3028 of 7070 Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm assuming you are using dual HDMI cabling: Main HDMI direct to the TV and Audio HDMI to your Marantz Receiver.

All of the audio outputs are live at the same time unless you have explicitly set HDMI Audio to OFF in Setup. So check that. Another possibility is that you have the audio HDMI cable plugged into the HDMI Input socket of the 205 instead of into the Audio HDMI output. And then another possibility is that you have not plugged it into the correct socket on your Receiver. Or simply that that the plug has come loose at one end or the other.

-------------------------

mp3 format is lossy, compressed audio. It would be better to rip your CDs in a lossless format, such as full bit rate WAV, or FLAC. The lossless formats will take up more space, and thus limit how many CDs you can fit on the drive.
--Bob
Thanks guys for help, all is working correctly now. I can can switch from either analog or HDMI connections for audio. I use only the main HDMI(audio/video) connected to my Marantz pre/pro. When I continue my project of burning all my disc to external hard drive I will select WAV.

Also I read that Exact Audio Copy is used by many. I did my first burn to external hard drive using the Window Media Player on my desktop. Any recommendations on apps for CD's transferred directly to external hard drive?

Thanks again

post #3029 of 7070 Old 12-03-2017, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
thank you
I disagree strongly. The Oppo concentrates on it's core function. It does what it does extremely well. Added complexity and expense associated with supporting third party apps are not holding it back. I use my Oppo with Netflix and other third party apps all the time. I just cast to a Google Chromecast. It works great. Not awkward in any way.

Stick to your guns, Oppo.
post #3030 of 7070 Old 12-03-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternz1 View Post
Quote:
thank you
I disagree strongly. The Oppo concentrates on it's core function. It does what it does extremely well. Added complexity and expense associated with supporting third party apps are not holding it back. I use my Oppo with Netflix and other third party apps all the time. I just cast to a Google Chromecast. It works great. Not awkward in any way.

Stick to your guns, Oppo.
I agree completely. I have the 205 and love the new GUI. I also have the 105 which I previously had used for watching Netflix but when I got a Roku for streaming I never used the Oppo 105 again for streaming video. When I got the 205 I was glad to see Oppo concentrate on doing what they are noted for. Playing discs and networking ones own hi rez files.
mt14942 and Peternz1 like this.

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Front) Triton Ones(Rear),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page