Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4177Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3121 of 7170 Old 12-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Goodfellas27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by THXTEX1 View Post
I think a Chrome Cast Audio would do the job. I have had a CC Audio connected to Optical and powered by the Oppo's USB port. When Oppo gets MQA working on digital inputs and fixes the bass management, I will defiantly try this again.
I use BubbleUPnP app on my phone to send Tidal's songs to the Oppo 205 since it uses DLNA, BubbleUPnP sees it as a renderer. The app has Tidal build-in and It works great. It also sees any files you might have in a NAS or any other DLNA server.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bbleupnp&hl=en

MCACC Workflow tips <-- Click here
Goodfellas27 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3122 of 7170 Old 12-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Member
 
THXTEX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellas27 View Post
I use BubbleUPnP app on my phone to send Tidal's songs to the Oppo 205 since it uses DLNA, BubbleUPnP sees it as a renderer. The app has Tidal build-in and It works great. It also sees any files you might have in a NAS or any other DLNA server.
mconnect for iPhone seems to do the same.

UE55F9005 - SEK-3500U/ZG
OPPO UDP-205EU
ROTEL RB980 + RB985 poweramps
3 Miller & Kreisel MP150 + 2 S150T speakers + 2 V12 subs
THXTEX1 is offline  
post #3123 of 7170 Old 12-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
dual outputs

Hi

I am hoping to buy the 205 as a solution to a Sonos problem (and of course many other AV and audio reasons!)

I have a Sonos soundbar positioned in between a pair of B&W 805s.

In order to gain more audible width when using the soundbar I would like to feed the 805s with FL and FR signals at the same time as using the optical output to link to the soundbar.

Is this possible to do with the 205? Can analogue channels (fed into my pre-power amp) be used at the same time as the optical o/p (fed into the Sonos soundbar)?

cheers

T
trondi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3124 of 7170 Old 12-21-2017, 01:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,764
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4763 Post(s)
Liked: 4681
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondi View Post
Hi

I am hoping to buy the 205 as a solution to a Sonos problem (and of course many other AV and audio reasons!)

I have a Sonos soundbar positioned in between a pair of B&W 805s.

In order to gain more audible width when using the soundbar I would like to feed the 805s with FL and FR signals at the same time as using the optical output to link to the soundbar.

Is this possible to do with the 205? Can analogue channels (fed into my pre-power amp) be used at the same time as the optical o/p (fed into the Sonos soundbar)?

cheers

T
Welcome to AVSForum.

Yes, all outputs are live simultaneously.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #3125 of 7170 Old 12-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: GA
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just received and hooked up a new 205 (Crutchfield scratch and dent, which had neither, so woohoo). I'm using it with a 2-channel audio system and a Sony 900E TV. I only have a few hours of playing with it, but it's generated some questions. I'm hitting both ends of the chain by asking from the TV angle in the owners thread.

1. One issue, that I'll admit may be more on the TV end of the chain, is getting the TV speakers to turn off when the 205 is in use. With the TV set up to default to "audio system" over its internal speakers, the speakers shut off when the 205 is on its ARC input, but not when playing a disc. The TV speakers have awful sync lag with the video and I was muting the TV last night when playing a movie.

2. Does the 205 default to Blu Ray as the input on startup? Is there a way to have it default to last input or something else?

3. Where could I find info on the triggers? I have an old preamp that has an unpowered contact closure trigger that I'd like to figure out how to power and interface with the 205 so they start together. Also, if I did that, would you still be able to power it up independently (remote or front-panel button, presumably)? These may be dumb questions b/c I haven't fooled with triggers before, but there's nada in the manual. I was trying to figure out simple stuff like whether the 205 needs a stereo mini plug to catch both sides of an internal coil.

Took a break from movie watching so my munchkin could catch a shower before bed last night. Watched part one of the KEXP unplugged performances via YouTube with full-blown sound and it was pure bliss.

Thanks for the help.
SenorT is offline  
post #3126 of 7170 Old 12-22-2017, 08:02 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,764
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4763 Post(s)
Liked: 4681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorT View Post
2. Does the 205 default to Blu Ray as the input on startup? Is there a way to have it default to last input or something else?
Setup -> Device Setup -> Power On Input

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #3127 of 7170 Old 12-22-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,417
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorT View Post
Just received and hooked up a new 205 (Crutchfield scratch and dent, which had neither, so woohoo). I'm using it with a 2-channel audio system and a Sony 900E TV. I only have a few hours of playing with it, but it's generated some questions. I'm hitting both ends of the chain by asking from the TV angle in the owners thread.

1. One issue, that I'll admit may be more on the TV end of the chain, is getting the TV speakers to turn off when the 205 is in use. With the TV set up to default to "audio system" over its internal speakers, the speakers shut off when the 205 is on its ARC input, but not when playing a disc. The TV speakers have awful sync lag with the video and I was muting the TV last night when playing a movie.

2. Does the 205 default to Blu Ray as the input on startup? Is there a way to have it default to last input or something else?

3. Where could I find info on the triggers? I have an old preamp that has an unpowered contact closure trigger that I'd like to figure out how to power and interface with the 205 so they start together. Also, if I did that, would you still be able to power it up independently (remote or front-panel button, presumably)? These may be dumb questions b/c I haven't fooled with triggers before, but there's nada in the manual. I was trying to figure out simple stuff like whether the 205 needs a stereo mini plug to catch both sides of an internal coil.

Took a break from movie watching so my munchkin could catch a shower before bed last night. Watched part one of the KEXP unplugged performances via YouTube with full-blown sound and it was pure bliss.

Thanks for the help.
I would suggest you contact Oppo regarding your trigger question. They are quite responsive. There's a contact form at their website: www.oppodigital.com. I don't believe there's a way to do what you want to with your first question. With a universal remote you could mute your TV's speakers as part of a 'play disc' command sequence but I don't think there is another way to do it.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #3128 of 7170 Old 12-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Welcome to AVSForum.

Yes, all outputs are live simultaneously.

-Bill
Thanks Bill

On a second point can i use the Oppo to pass an optical signal from my tv into the Oppo optical input and then output the same signal out from the Oppo to my Sonos soundbar?

This would be useful as the Sonos soundbar has only one optical input. It would enable me to get DD5.1 from tv and from Oppo discs through one optical cable into the soundbar. Fingers crossed on your reply!

Cheers

T
trondi is offline  
post #3129 of 7170 Old 12-22-2017, 04:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,764
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4763 Post(s)
Liked: 4681
Quote:
Originally Posted by trondi View Post
On a second point can i use the Oppo to pass an optical signal from my tv into the Oppo optical input and then output the same signal out from the Oppo to my Sonos soundbar?
I haven't done it myself but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #3130 of 7170 Old 12-24-2017, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have a question about accessing video files that are on a Windows 10 PC's shared drive. The drive is shared on the network, but the Oppo 205 is not seeing the drive, but it does see the DLNA server that resides on that Windows PC. What we want is direct access to the files on the saved drive. Is this possible, and what are the things to look out for to get this working. Any help here much appreciated.
fitbrit is offline  
post #3131 of 7170 Old 12-25-2017, 12:15 AM
Member
 
DarqueKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SDA Sweetspot
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoNNy379CH View Post
Hi Larry,

yes the old AVCHD trick was working on the 205. Incl. BD Menu.
If tested USB/NAS.
(with the latest tool BDMV Modifier 2.0 works only on 2D Discs. 3D is not supported)

Ronald
Is there any method for getting ripped DVD folders (with intact menus) to play on the 205?
DarqueKnight is offline  
post #3132 of 7170 Old 12-25-2017, 05:17 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,366
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5893 Post(s)
Liked: 8430
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post
I have a question about accessing video files that are on a Windows 10 PC's shared drive. The drive is shared on the network, but the Oppo 205 is not seeing the drive, but it does see the DLNA server that resides on that Windows PC. What we want is direct access to the files on the saved drive. Is this possible, and what are the things to look out for to get this working. Any help here much appreciated.
The OPPO uses SMB 1 to access shared drives. Microsoft recently disabled SMB 1, by default, in Windows 10 for security reasons. However you can re-enable it using the Windows Add/Remove Features tool.
--Bob
fitbrit likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #3133 of 7170 Old 12-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Newbie
 
jteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello to all and thanks to all who help to newers.
I bought an Oppo UDP-205 from an e-bay seller. It will be arrive at Friday. The strange is that while at the Oppo site the Mass: 22lbs (10kg) and Shipping Weight: 30 lbs (13.6 Kg) , the UPS tracking details of my parcel is: Weight: 10.50 kgs (23lbs). I asked the seller how is possible that the UPS shipping weight is only 10.5 Kgs and maybe he sent wrong item, and he answered me that he sent me th Oppo 205. Another strange is that althought the seller (he sells audioplile products) has 100% positive feedback he got one more positive feedback for selling an Oppo 205, but I think this changed to neutral ( Refunded to Buyer ).
Anyone who bought the Oppo 205 could answer me if he remember how much it was the parcel wheight, and if the Oppo 205 plus the included items (control, cords, manual..) and package could be only 10.5 Kgs. What is your advice when the parcel arrive to check how much it is the weight and if it is 10.5 Kgs or sealed tape broken to not accept the parcel?
Also is it possible that could be an Oppo 205 with some inside parts changed with cheapers parts ?
Any help here much appreciated.
Sorry for my english.
jteacher is offline  
post #3134 of 7170 Old 12-25-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,417
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Or it could be the Oppo but without any of the accessories that normally ship with it. Also maybe single-boxed. Players from Oppo come double-boxed and include accessory cable, remote and printed manual. I would personally reject the package if I had any suspicions. If you paid less than the Oppo MSRP, I would be suspicious. Other than Oppo refurbs or the like, no reputable dealer sells new 20x players at any discount from the MSRP. I would also only buy an Oppo player from a well known good dealer (Oppo itself, Amazon, Crutchfield and Best Buy Magnolia for example).
jteacher likes this.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #3135 of 7170 Old 12-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Member
 
LarryLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Folks

I just bought a copy of Dunkirk (2017) in UHD 4K format, and watched the movie on my Oppo 205, which is loaded with the latest FW update. Plays fine, except when the airplanes are crossing the screen, there are jerky artifacts. In some other scenes where there is rapid movement, I think I see artifacts too, but the Spitfire dogfight scenes are where the most obvious artifacts are.

Anyone else have this movie and seeing the same things?

My other 4K movies play just fine, but then again, I cannot compare the subject matter.

Larry

Larry d'Lion Cheltenham, Ontario - Canada
Audio/Video Sources: Oppo 205, Rega P3+Linn Troika, Roku Ultra, Apple 4KTV, QNAP TS-451 NAS
Amplification: Yamaha RX-A1060 Aventage
Speakers: ATC SCM-7 Fronts, AudioVector QR-1 Surrounds, PSB Series 300 Sub
Screen: LG OLED65B6P
LarryLion is offline  
post #3136 of 7170 Old 12-25-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 1,191
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLion View Post
Folks



I just bought a copy of Dunkirk (2017) in UHD 4K format, and watched the movie on my Oppo 205, which is loaded with the latest FW update. Plays fine, except when the airplanes are crossing the screen, there are jerky artifacts. In some other scenes where there is rapid movement, I think I see artifacts too, but the Spitfire dogfight scenes are where the most obvious artifacts are.



Anyone else have this movie and seeing the same things?



My other 4K movies play just fine, but then again, I cannot compare the subject matter.



Larry

What TV / Display are you watching it on and are you connected directly to it or are you running through a receiver / avr? Did you recently upgrade the FW on the Oppo and if so did you reset to factory defaults?

Also, were you listening to music or doing anything else with your Oppo before watching Dunkirk? I’ve noticed when I go from listening to music from my NAS to watching a movie that the Oppo at times can seem buggy but an eject and reinsert of disc or power cycle usually corrects it.

I played Dunkirk on my 205 directly to my LG OLED and didn’t notice any issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
T-smith is online now  
post #3137 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 02:10 AM
Newbie
 
jteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Or it could be the Oppo but without any of the accessories that normally ship with it. Also maybe single-boxed. Players from Oppo come double-boxed and include accessory cable, remote and printed manual. I would personally reject the package if I had any suspicions. If you paid less than the Oppo MSRP, I would be suspicious. Other than Oppo refurbs or the like, no reputable dealer sells new 20x players at any discount from the MSRP. I would also only buy an Oppo player from a well known good dealer (Oppo itself, Amazon, Crutchfield and Best Buy Magnolia for example).
Τhank you for answer. Oppo bought from U.K. seller and the price was the normal U.K. price (he send and to another E.U. countries). My fear is if maybe this Oppo will not work perfect. I will think what to do.
jteacher is offline  
post #3138 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,417
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteacher View Post
Τhank you for answer. Oppo bought from U.K. seller and the price was the normal U.K. price (he send and to another E.U. countries). My fear is if maybe this Oppo will not work perfect. I will think what to do.
You might be all right if that dealer is one of the Oppo's UK dealers. It's possible the weight quote in the shipping info is just wrong.
jteacher likes this.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #3139 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fitbrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The OPPO uses SMB 1 to access shared drives. Microsoft recently disabled SMB 1, by default, in Windows 10 for security reasons. However you can re-enable it using the Windows Add/Remove Features tool.
--Bob
Thanks very much, Bob!
fitbrit is offline  
post #3140 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Newbie
 
jteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
You might be all right if that dealer is one of the Oppo's UK dealers. It's possible the weight quote in the shipping info is just wrong.
As Oppo wrote me ebay selllers are authorised Oppo's dealers. Oppo also answered me "We list the Gross Weight on our website, so the tracking will likely show the Net Weight. The Net Weight will be about 23lbs shipped, while the Gross Weight is 30lbs. So what you are seeing on the tracking sounds correct for the UDP-205 if they are using Net Weight."
I can't understand the differrent between Net weight (22lbs from the Oppo's site), the Net weight shipped (23 lbs) They mean in package, so the shipping info is o.k.? And if yes what is the Gross weight?
Anyway thanks for help
jteacher is offline  
post #3141 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,417
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteacher View Post
As Oppo wrote me ebay selllers are authorised Oppo's dealers. Oppo also answered me "We list the Gross Weight on our website, so the tracking will likely show the Net Weight. The Net Weight will be about 23lbs shipped, while the Gross Weight is 30lbs. So what you are seeing on the tracking sounds correct for the UDP-205 if they are using Net Weight."
I can't understand the differrent between Net weight (22lbs from the Oppo's site), the Net weight shipped (23 lbs) They mean in package, so the shipping info is o.k.? And if yes what is the Gross weight?
Anyway thanks for help
Net weight would be the weight of the Oppo player and maybe the remote. Gross weight is the actual Oppo unit plus all the packaging materials and extras that might be included. For instance, in the U.S. at least, Oppo puts the player in a reusable cloth shopping bag which adds a few ounces. There is also a cable, the printed user manual and the remote (if not part of the net weight). And finally, there are the boxes--double boxed in the U.S. and I would assume the same in the UK. All of that could easily add about 7-8 lbs to the the net weight.
jteacher likes this.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #3142 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Newbie
 
jteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Net weight would be the weight of the Oppo player and maybe the remote. Gross weight is the actual Oppo unit plus all the packaging materials and extras that might be included. For instance, in the U.S. at least, Oppo puts the player in a reusable cloth shopping bag which adds a few ounces. There is also a cable, the printed user manual and the remote (if not part of the net weight). And finally, there are the boxes--double boxed in the U.S. and I would assume the same in the UK. All of that could easily add about 7-8 lbs to the the net weight.
Thank you friend. The strange is that the net weight is 22lbs and the delivery weight is 23lbs (and not 30lbs as Oppo groos weight). Only 1lb added for package etc. I hope all will be o.k. let I don't disturb the forum more
jteacher is offline  
post #3143 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
clpetersen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Oppo as pre-pro - 5.1 Set-up Tips and Details

A few posts back, I asked some questions re; Oppo set-up as a pre-pro with multiple speakers. Received some good advice, especially from Bob Pariseau.

Below is a quick summary of what I worked out with help from the forum and Oppo tech support. Overall, this is working very well. I wanted to preserve very high quality audio, a minimalist box count and was willing to forego (for now at least) active room corrections.
So here is the set-up:

Oppo ->Amplifier(s) -> Speakers (5.1, no AV processor).

Inputs:
Xfinity X1
Roku Streaming Stick+
Sonos
Wired ethernet with Synology NAS
Kinovo HDMI Switch

Set-up:
Initial:
The xfinity HDMI was plugged into HDMI IN on the OPPO, HDMI OUT went to the HDMI/ARC port on the Samsung and the Roku was plugged into another HDMI port on the Samsung. After much fiddling with ARC (with some suggestions from Oppo tech support) but always getting 2-channel sound only, I discovered on a Samsung forum that this is limit of Samsung, not Oppo. Samsung can create a DTS Neo 2:5 multichannel signal from the Roku, but this was to much post processing for me.

--> Tip from Oppo: If you want to see the audio format being delivered via ARC, use the page-up/page-down buttons on the Oppo remote. Nifty.

Final:
I used a Kinovo HDMI switch and have both the Roku and xfinity into the HDMI IN port of the Oppo. This had immediate benefits:
a) everything goes thru Oppo video processing - so all info, zoom, etc. functions are always available.
b) one-time audio synch set-up (in our case 80 ms).
c) everything goes thru Oppo audio processing, taking 'native' formats from xfinity and Roku.

I trimmed the various speakers following advice from Mr. Pariseau - Check the forum for details. For music, I run the fronts as LT/RT to get the cross-over processing, and ended up with the crossover setting at 70 Hz. I use the balanced outs to the front speakers, and the unbalanced outs for the center and rear surrounds.

Issue: For some reason, the Sonos Connect, running at fixed output (for 'bit-perfect' output via coax), is substantially louder than the HDMI inputs, by nearly 10 dB. This tends to set the typical Oppo volume below that to achieve the optimum SNR (see early Pariseau pos for details on this).


Bottom Line: consider an HDMI switch if running several HDMI sources and using the Oppo 205 as a pre-pro. Too bad Oppo, on the 205, chose not to offer multiple HDMI inputs. The incremental cost is quite low.
vavan likes this.

Last edited by clpetersen; 12-27-2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: too long
clpetersen is offline  
post #3144 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Member
 
Dawgneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lairpost - Question

Hello, Lairpost.

What is the possibility that Oppo may release a firmware that will allow the 205 to play SACD ISO files from a NAS? I know a former model used to play them and I'd love to have that option back.
Dawgneck is offline  
post #3145 of 7170 Old 12-26-2017, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgneck View Post
Hello, Lairpost.

What is the possibility that Oppo may release a firmware that will allow the 205 to play SACD ISO files from a NAS? I know a former model used to play them and I'd love to have that option back.

why not use iso2dsd in the mean time? its very very simple to use. If you do decide to use it - simply run it as administrator and you're good to go!
love_that_sound is offline  
post #3146 of 7170 Old 12-27-2017, 04:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,764
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4763 Post(s)
Liked: 4681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgneck View Post
Hello, Lairpost.

What is the possibility that Oppo may release a firmware that will allow the 205 to play SACD ISO files from a NAS? I know a former model used to play them and I'd love to have that option back.
Close to zero. For the powerful forces in the industry ISO means "piracy" and they will not allow it. Sony controls everything SACD.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #3147 of 7170 Old 12-27-2017, 06:23 AM
Member
 
LarryLion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
What TV / Display are you watching it on and are you connected directly to it or are you running through a receiver / avr? Did you recently upgrade the FW on the Oppo and if so did you reset to factory defaults?

Also, were you listening to music or doing anything else with your Oppo before watching Dunkirk? I’ve noticed when I go from listening to music from my NAS to watching a movie that the Oppo at times can seem buggy but an eject and reinsert of disc or power cycle usually corrects it.

I played Dunkirk on my 205 directly to my LG OLED and didn’t notice any issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tips, I will test and try them: yes, recent FW update on the Oppo, but I did reset/recycle power at the time, I'll do it again. And yes, I was listening to music on one of the attached USB drives. And I'm seeing persistent bugs on the music side too, but I'll put that observation in a separate post. As for connection, my Oppo video goes directly into the LG OLED TV, and I'm using the "good" HDMI cables mentioned on this thread. The second (audio) HDMI is routed thru my Yamaha A1060 receiver. When I play audio only, I use a 2.1 setup in the Yamaha, based on the analog outs from the Oppo.

Cheers

Larry d'Lion Cheltenham, Ontario - Canada
Audio/Video Sources: Oppo 205, Rega P3+Linn Troika, Roku Ultra, Apple 4KTV, QNAP TS-451 NAS
Amplification: Yamaha RX-A1060 Aventage
Speakers: ATC SCM-7 Fronts, AudioVector QR-1 Surrounds, PSB Series 300 Sub
Screen: LG OLED65B6P
LarryLion is offline  
post #3148 of 7170 Old 12-27-2017, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
briandx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Lewes DE
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLion View Post
Thanks for the tips, I will test and try them: yes, recent FW update on the Oppo, but I did reset/recycle power at the time, I'll do it again. And yes, I was listening to music on one of the attached USB drives. And I'm seeing persistent bugs on the music side too, but I'll put that observation in a separate post. As for connection, my Oppo video goes directly into the LG OLED TV, and I'm using the "good" HDMI cables mentioned on this thread. The second (audio) HDMI is routed thru my Yamaha A1060 receiver. When I play audio only, I use a 2.1 setup in the Yamaha, based on the analog outs from the Oppo.

Cheers
I noticed you have the same LG OLED television that I have. How are you enjoying it? I know I sure am!

Projector/Screen: Sony VPL-VW285ES; Da-Lite Cosmopolitan Electrol (92")
TV: LG OLED 65B6P
Amplification: Anthem MRX-1120; Aesthetix Mimas; Rogue Triton II
Sources: Pioneer UPD-LX500; Simaudio 260DT; Music Hall mmf-9.3; Goldring Eroica LX
Speakers: Wilson Yvette (L/R); Paradigm In-Walls (6); Hsu Research VTF-1 MK3 (2)
briandx is offline  
post #3149 of 7170 Old 12-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
steady teddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Macomb, Michigan
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Is the HDMI cable that comes with the 205 on par with something like this?:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
LG 65 B6P & EF9500
steady teddy is offline  
post #3150 of 7170 Old 12-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Member
 
dtlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas - Near The Woodlands
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi I just received my Oppo 205 and am having an issue... I have updated to the latest firmware (2 updates).

I threw on Wonder Woman 4K to test it out but I find the unit stops/stumbles on playback in chapter 7. So not sure if the problem is the disk or the Oppo...

Most of the rest of the move seems to play OK. I'll try another disk but am concerned due to the intermittent nature of the problem... Any "known issues" with this disk and the 205?

I hate it when things don't work!

-Dick Locke
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	2336070  
dtlocke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off