Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 120 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4148Likes

post #3571 of 6967 Old 02-23-2018, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One other question I have about going to an amp from the OPPO-205. If you use the stereo out of the OPPO using XLR can a subwoofer be used and controlled by the OPPO-205. Or do you have to use the seven channel analog out connections only?

Now is Forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3572 of 6967 Old 02-23-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel McBane View Post
Thanks for the informative write- ups on hooking up directly to an amp. Looks like setting the volume level and sub crossovers within the OPPO is critical. And will allow the OPPO to control the output sources hooked up to it just fine. Am I missing anything?
In the past, there have been many posts from users who contend connecting directly to the amp is their preferred way to go, claiming it sounds cleaner without the extra piece of equipment. At the time, I slightly preferred the sound with a Cary Cinema 12 pre/pro in the loop, but that was with a 105 -- might have a different preference with the superior DAC of a 205. You can always add a pre/pro later, so I'd argue to try Oppo direct to amp.

db
post #3573 of 6967 Old 02-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel McBane View Post
One other question I have about going to an amp from the OPPO-205. If you use the stereo out of the OPPO using XLR can a subwoofer be used and controlled by the OPPO-205. Or do you have to use the seven channel analog out connections only?
If you set the Stereo Signal setting to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, both the RCA and the XLR pairs of L/R outputs (the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs) will apply all the settings that normally affect the LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel Analog set.

So set Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT.

In Speaker Configuration, set Left Front / Right Front to SMALL, Down-Mix to Stereo, and Subwoofer to ON.

Wire the XLR pair for your L/R speakers and the RCA Sub output from the multi-channel set for you Subwoofer.

You will get 2.1 speaker output.

NOTE: By design the XLR outs are +6dB hotter than the RCA outs. Take that into consideration when setting up the Volume on your Subwoofer so that the Sub and your L/R speakers are in balance. This is in addition to the Sub Boost that you always need to apply (external to the player). +15dB normal Sub Boost (with Crossover active) and +6dB to allow for matching the XLR outs would be +21dB total Sub Boost needed.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3574 of 6967 Old 02-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Wow, really good information. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable. I cancelled my NAD order for now. And will be looking for a quality stereo amp. Either used or new.

Now is Forever
post #3575 of 6967 Old 02-23-2018, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht guy View Post
Is there an advantage to using something like an Oppo HA-1 vs the headphone out of the 205?

...assuming there is adequate output from the 205?
Anyone have experience/opinions about the HA-1 vs 205 headphone outs?
post #3576 of 6967 Old 02-24-2018, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
HA-1 and 205

Quote:
I own both units. The HA-1 was purchased first, which impressed me enough to acquire the 205, and is used a headphone am/ pre-amp in a dedicated 2-channel set-up and the 205 is a pre-pro in a 5.1 set-up (different rooms).

The HA-1 headphone amp is a significantly higher power amplifier (3500 mW into 32 ohms vs 590 mW, respectively). The HA-1 also offers balanced headphone outs, meant for their top of the line PM-1 headphones. The HA-1 also offers better THD, dynamic range, and SNR, but on both units these specs are so good as to be non-audible.

Right now I have easy-to-drive set of headphones, Sennhauser 600. Someday I will get the PM-1's or similar.

So, for these headphones, both units deliver excellent results. if you had harder-to-drive headphones, the HA-1 should work better. However, the HA-1 is discontinued by OPPO.
tngiloy likes this.
post #3577 of 6967 Old 02-24-2018, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
I totally agree with clpetersen's assessment. I thought the HA-1's sound quality was slightly better. I also liked the VU meter display on the HA-1, but that is just a 'cool' factor and doesn't affect SQ at all.
Unlike clpetersen, I decided to sell my HA-1. For me the decision came down to economics (I was able to get a good return on my investment which helped pay for the UDP-205) and how much I used my headphones (which is probably 5% of the time). I own the OPPO PM-2 HP's and the 205 drives them easily.
If you use your headphones a fair amount of the time and money isn't an object, then having both is certainly an option. I also liked the DAC in the HA-1 and it worked well for playing music from my computer thru its USB in, but think the DAC in the 205 is a little better.
As an 'all in one' component the 205 is unmatched. If you listen to your headphones a lot, then the HA-1 and a UDP-203 may be a better choice for you.

Do you already own the HA-1? If so you can always use OPPO's 30 day return to do a head to head. Unfortunately, the HA-1 isn't available new from OPPO so if you need to purchase it you would need to sell it yourself if you decide on the 205.
clpetersen likes this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #3578 of 6967 Old 02-24-2018, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Thanks guys.

Exactly the experience I was looking for.

I'm also a light headphone user and, after reading your comments, I don't think the differences would justify the cost (understanding I can pick up a NOS or nice used one on ebay.) I get enough volume, so I should be good to go.

Much appreciated.
post #3579 of 6967 Old 02-24-2018, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
...I own the OPPO PM-2 HP's and the 205 drives them easily.
Good information re: PM-2's - I was going to email Oppo and ask this question re: the 205 driving PM-2s. From what I have read/heard the PM-2's deliver most of the PM-1's performance at a substantial savings.
post #3580 of 6967 Old 02-25-2018, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Good information re: PM-2's - I was going to email Oppo and ask this question re: the 205 driving PM-2s. From what I have read/heard the PM-2's deliver most of the PM-1's performance at a substantial savings.
True, but they are out of production now.

Mark

Marantz 8802A | Rotel RB 1590 / 1555 | Bowers Wilkins 804D3 / HTM2D3 / DB3D / 703S2 / 706S2 | Oppo 205 | Bluesound NODE 2i | LG OLED65E8 | Denon AH-D7100 | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV4K | Cable box 4K | Darbee Darblet
(Denon 4520 | LG OLED55E6 | B&W 703 / 705 / HTM7 / ASW700 | Oppo 203 / HA-2SE | Apple TV | Chromecast Ultra / Audio | Denon AH-D2000)
post #3581 of 6967 Old 02-25-2018, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi, when is the latest Public Beta Test Release UDP20X-56-0124B going to become an official release?

Robert
post #3582 of 6967 Old 02-25-2018, 02:46 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Liked: 4548
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcadam View Post
Hi, when is the latest Public Beta Test Release UDP20X-56-0124B going to become an official release?
Often asked and no one knows.

I'd guess soon.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #3583 of 6967 Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you set the Stereo Signal setting to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, both the RCA and the XLR pairs of L/R outputs (the Dedicated Stereo Analog Outputs) will apply all the settings that normally affect the LF/RF outputs of the multi-channel Analog set.

In Speaker Configuration, set Left Front / Right Front to SMALL, Down-Mix to Stereo, and Subwoofer to ON.

Wire the XLR pair for your L/R speakers and the RCA Sub output from the multi-channel set for you Subwoofer.

NOTE: By design the XLR outs are +6dB hotter than the RCA outs. Take that into consideration when setting up the Volume on your Subwoofer so that the Sub and your L/R speakers are in balance. This is in addition to the Sub Boost that you always need to apply (external to the player). +15dB normal Sub Boost (with Crossover active) and +6dB to allow for matching the XLR outs would be +21dB total Sub Boost needed.

--Bob
Hello Bob,
Is there anyway I could achieve this 2.1 through my MRX 1120 without processing the sound?

Regards Jeff
post #3584 of 6967 Old 02-27-2018, 11:40 AM

A quick update on my OPPO to an amp setup. I found a used and very clean silver Bryston 4B SST amp and will have it delivered this Friday. I will have the weekend to setup and evaluate my system. I'll do a follow up.

Now is Forever
post #3585 of 6967 Old 02-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello Bob,
Is there anyway I could achieve this 2.1 through my MRX 1120 without processing the sound?

Regards Jeff
Not conveniently. The main problem is that the Anthem MRX 1120 does not have multi-channel Analog Inputs. Only Stereo Analog.

Now you could feed Stereo into the 1120 and have it process that for Crossover -- thus getting Subwoofer output. But if you want to set the 1120 to *NOT* process the Stereo Analog input then the only way to get a signal for the Sub is to have the OPPO do the Crossover processing and then wire the Sub out directly to the Subwoofer. I.e., there's no way to pass that Subwoofer signal *THROUGH* the 1120.

Which means you can't use Volume control in the 1120 (because that will only get applied to the Left / Right speakers and not the Sub).

-------------------------

So you would have to set up an Input definition on the 1120 that uses one of the Analog Stereo Input pairs and is set to not process that. No Anthem ARC for example.

Meanwhile you would wire the Sub out of the OPPO directly to your Subwoofer, and set up the Crossover processing you want in the OPPO: Left Front / Right Front Small, Subwoofer ON, and a suitable Crossover frequency selected.

Finally you'd need to settle on a fixed Volume setting in the 1120, and use that all the time when listening this way. Actual Volume control would be done using the OPPO (Volume buttons at the top of the Remote). You would balance the Left / Right speakers and the Sub by adjusting the Volume setting in the 1120 and the Volume knob on the Sub itself -- a one time chore, but you have to remember to return the 1120 to this chosen setting when going back to listening this way. Ideally you would want to use a Volume setting in the 1120 low enough so that you get a comfortable listening level by setting Volume in the OPPO in the upper part of its range -- say between 70 and 100.

--------------------------

Finally you'd have to deal with how to switch setups when you want to listen any OTHER way -- i.e, with the 1120 doing its processing and producing output for the Subwoofer itself. You'd need to switch the connection to the Sub so that it is now being fed by the 1120 instead of by the OPPO.

(Do *NOT* try to just use a Y-splitter to combine the Sub output of the OPPO and the 1120 together to feed into the input of your Sub. Why? Because they are not only connected to the Sub, they are connected to EACH OTHER! So for example the Sub output of the OPPO would be pushing voltage back into the Sub output of the 1120. This is a definite no no.)

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #3586 of 6967 Old 02-27-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Having upsized to UDP-205 from a BDP-105 and noted on the forum the multiple configurations that are possible for different end use scenarios, I drifted to my fave topic, useability.
Whilst one can save Settings to USB, my understanding is that only saves the ?current configuration?., though I stand to be corrected.

I then imagined that the prime candidate for Store and Recall of ?x? settings would not be in the device firmware, but might be more easily managed within the Media Control App.

As I dealt with an existing support ticket, I also posed this to Oppo. The response is below.

?This is something that we can have the engineers look into, but at this time we do not have any plans on making presets available for the player so that you can easily switch between different audio processing modes in the player.?
post #3587 of 6967 Old 02-27-2018, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I am located in Germany.

I have a specific question to the audio setup of the oppo, and I am sure you can support me in this respect.

My home cinema has a 4.1. Setup (Active speakers: Front: 2 x Geithain 901K1, Rear 2 x Geithain 906, Sub: BK Monolith +). I utilize a Merging Nadac (Multichannel DAC) which is connected to a BAT Preamp for the front speakers and an Audio GD Preamp for the rear section. I am more than happy with the merging nadac. However, this device has some limitations in respect to video streaming via netflix etc. Here only a stereo output is possible. In order to eliminate this isssue I purchased the oppo which arrived yesterday.

The Plan is to connect the XLR output of the oppo to the BAT preamp and the RCA output to the audio GD. The sub will be directly connected to the RCA of the oppo. Is this setup possible? And if so, what is the correct settings of the OPPO.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ralf
post #3588 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
looking for some thoughts, feedback, and answers on what to do with an oppo 205 with my stereo system. yes, stereo.

my system is currently spotify/foobar2k on my pc as source > yggdrasil dac > pass preamp > pass amp > speakers. i have my current bluray player hooked up to my dac via optical out, i assume the 205 also has optical out. would i be better served just getting the 203 since i wont be utilizing the 205's dac? what other advantages does the 205 have over the 203?

what would hooking up my pc to the oppo via ethernet or usb, then hooking up the oppo to the dac via digital wind up doing anyway?

also, for movies in particular, what would be the best way to insert the oppo into my system? logic is saying to just do as i already currently do with my lg bluray player, which is have it plugged right into my dac, and video output right into my hdtv, and send everything downstream.

perhaps there are or is a better way to get good audio on my system via the oppo's extensive ht settings?
my speakers... they're big stereo speakers, with 15 inch woofers and their own internal crossover. not sure if that's relevant.
post #3589 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2Girls View Post
looking for some thoughts, feedback, and answers on what to do with an oppo 205 with my stereo system. yes, stereo.

my system is currently spotify/foobar2k on my pc as source > yggdrasil dac > pass preamp > pass amp > speakers. i have my current bluray player hooked up to my dac via optical out, i assume the 205 also has optical out. would i be better served just getting the 203 since i wont be utilizing the 205's dac? what other advantages does the 205 have over the 203?

what would hooking up my pc to the oppo via ethernet or usb, then hooking up the oppo to the dac via digital wind up doing anyway?

also, for movies in particular, what would be the best way to insert the oppo into my system? logic is saying to just do as i already currently do with my lg bluray player, which is have it plugged right into my dac, and video output right into my hdtv, and send everything downstream.

perhaps there are or is a better way to get good audio on my system via the oppo's extensive ht settings?
my speakers... they're big stereo speakers, with 15 inch woofers and their own internal crossover. not sure if that's relevant.

Sounds like you are a better candidate for the 203. There is literally no discernible difference in the two based on how you plan to use it. One difference would be if you plan to use the 205 dac for decoding MQA files, but then you are using the 205 dac.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #3590 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=Bob Pariseau;55767264]Not conveniently. The main problem is that the Anthem MRX 1120 does not have multi-channel Analog.

Hello Bob,
Thank you so much for the very detailed instructions. This just sounds like way to much work to accomplish this without messing up all my different audio needs from my MRX1120. I will Just continue to let my Performa 206s handle the unprocessed sound via the Anthem stereo inputs. I have to say I have had the 205 for about 4 days now and the sound has definitely changed leaps and bounds since I first gave it a spin out of the Box!

Regards,
Jeff
post #3591 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

--Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm guessing with this set up I won't get multi channel output.

I listen to a lot of multi channel audio on my oppo. And I don't care much for 2.1. In that case can I leave my speaker config settings to FR/FL = Large and Down Mix = 5.1 Ch. My set up is 5.1. Also I am using the dedicated stereo analogue outs into the 7.1 analogue inputs of my marantz. I have stereo signal set to front left/right.

Thanks as always for your guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3592 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I am looking at moving to the 205 (I currently own the 105D version).
I am sure that many folks here already did that move.
Is there an easy way to transfer my current settings from the 105D to the 205? Or do I have to start from scratch?
post #3593 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
Is there an easy way to transfer my current settings from the 105D to the 205? Or do I have to start from scratch?
You have to start from scratch, but it’s not really that tough. The players do some things differently, so you’ll have to watch out for assumptions.
—Bob

post #3594 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 08:03 AM

Thank you Bob!!
post #3595 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenyatta80 View Post
Hi Bob,

I'm guessing with this set up I won't get multi channel output.

I listen to a lot of multi channel audio on my oppo. And I don't care much for 2.1. In that case can I leave my speaker config settings to FR/FL = Large and Down Mix = 5.1 Ch. My set up is 5.1. Also I am using the dedicated stereo analogue outs into the 7.1 analogue inputs of my marantz. I have stereo signal set to front left/right.

Thanks as always for your guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, with Stereo Signal set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT the Dedicated Stereo outs work like the LF/RF outs of the multi-channel set. So you can wire them in your multi-channel hookup and do everything you would be able to do just as if you’d wired the normal LF/RF jacks.

The choice to use or not use Crossover in the OPPO does not change this.
—Bob

post #3596 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 08:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Liked: 4548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
To try to make this easier, you could print out the BDP-103 Settings Checklist and mark it up with your local values.

The 203 has a similar checklist, linked in the FAQ.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #3597 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 08:39 AM

Thank you Bill! Very helpful.
post #3598 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hello all,
I have a question regarding MQA. I have a Node2 hooked into my 205 via a optical out of the Node2. The Node2 can recieve MQA through tidal. If I send the Tidal feed from the Node2 to the 205 will the 205 be able to playback the MQA feeds? There is a setting in the Node2 to use external DAC wich sends the signal untouched to the 205.

Regards,
Jeff
post #3599 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello all,
I have a question regarding MQA. I have a Node2 hooked into my 205 via a optical out of the Node2. The Node2 can recieve MQA through tidal. If I send the Tidal feed from the Node2 to the 205 will the 205 be able to playback the MQA feeds? There is a setting in the Node2 to use external DAC wich sends the signal untouched to the 205.

Regards,
Jeff
At the moment, the firmware only supports MQA in media files -- as when played from a USB hard drive. OPPO has said they are working on expanding this.
--Bob

post #3600 of 6967 Old 02-28-2018, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At the moment, the firmware only supports MQA in media files -- as when played from a USB hard drive. OPPO has said they are working on expanding this.
--Bob
Cool! Thanks for the quick reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page