Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4168Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3871 of 7105 Old 03-26-2018, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Yes, I use the more expensive HDFury Vertex to split the ATV4K video to TV audio to the XMC-1 processor but it also works with the Oppo HDMI input.
Neat, so with this HDFury device I don't need a BDP-205. You may have just saved me quite a pile of money!
the-analog-kid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3872 of 7105 Old 03-26-2018, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
I have never replaced a power supply in any of my Oppo’s but decided to give this a go and am glad I did. I read a nice story on the guy that started this business along with favorable comments on an amp he built. Anyway, I received it today. It is extremely well made and, according to a source I have here that knows all that goes into power supplies, etc, the quality is exceptional. I have it playing now and will let it play for a while but so far I am very pleased. I use a preamp and have the 205 as a Dac to a Sonore UltraRendu as an endpoint in Roon. I will offer more in the way of a review after it has some hours on it


Robin
Got a link for the power supply?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
drewTT is offline  
post #3873 of 7105 Old 03-26-2018, 08:29 PM
Member
 
z06gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Got a link for the power supply?

https://www.clonesaudio.com/product-page/psudp205
drewTT likes this.
z06gal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3874 of 7105 Old 03-26-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
lol...I was actually just looking at that earlier today.

So it's worthwhile?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
drewTT is offline  
post #3875 of 7105 Old 03-26-2018, 08:42 PM
Member
 
z06gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
lol...I was actually just looking at that earlier today.

So it's worthwhile?

Yes it is but is not something that knocks you over. It is more elegant improving the dynamics and better clarity. The 205, in my opinion, can sound somewhat muffled or something - metallic maybe? - and this along with introducing Rhodium IC's has opened it up a good bit. I am going back and be forth between the ultrarendu via USB vs the 205 via network trying to decide which I like. The uR sounds better when using Roon. I will be adding a LPS to power my network later this week so I will be curious how it sounds with everything in place.

Last edited by z06gal; 03-26-2018 at 08:57 PM.
z06gal is offline  
post #3876 of 7105 Old 03-26-2018, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
Yes it is but is not something that knocks you over. It is more elegant improving the dynamics and better clarity. The 205, in my opinion, can sound somewhat muffled or something - metallic maybe? - and this along with introducing Rhodium IC's has opened it up a good bit. I am going back and be forth between the ultrarendu via USB vs the 205 via network trying to decide which I like. The uR sounds better when using Roon. I will be adding a LPS to power my network later this week so I will be curious how it sounds with everything in place.
Did you go with the deluxe version of the power supply?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
drewTT is offline  
post #3877 of 7105 Old 03-26-2018, 09:06 PM
Member
 
z06gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Did you go with the deluxe version of the power supply?

Yes and it is very nice.
drewTT likes this.
z06gal is offline  
post #3878 of 7105 Old 03-26-2018, 11:54 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
USB DAC input question

First, I'm a newbie here, so go easy on me. I've been through a large portion of this incredibly useful and informative thread, yet suspect I'm about to ask a question to which there's an obvious answer that has been provided long ago -- in which case I hope someone can simply point me in the right direction.

Background: I've had my 205 for about a week, having upgraded from a 95. I'm using the 205 for 4K Blu-ray playback, CD/SACD playback, audio playback from USB drives, and audio playback on my home network, using JRiver as a DLNA server on a Windows 10 PC to push audio to the 205 via ethernet. I decided to upgrade from the 95 to accommodate a new, 4K TV. But my main use for the 95 was as an audio player and, as an audio professional, I chose the 205 due to its excellent analogue audio section and DACs. My main, 2-ch path is 205 to Parasound P7 to Parasound A21 to a pair of Thiel CS 3.7s, using the 205's balanced XLR outs. I know that's hardly a "be all to end all" system, but I'm fond of it and, with the addition of the 205, I seem to have hit some sort of audio sweet spot. That is, I'm quite pleased with the result . (FWIW, I use the 205's audio HDMI out to a Marantz 7702 for movies, to make use of the 7702's room correction and Atmos decoding, with the 7702's m-ch speaker outs going through the P7's "Theater Bypass" inputs to the A21 and some other, cobbled together power amps. Works well enough.)

Now, finally, my question: One thing I haven't checked out yet is the SQ using the 205's USB DAC input for analogue stereo playback. What I'd like to do is convey the files archived on my computer drive to the USB DAC input on the 205, via my network. (The computer is 50 feet or so from my media room and that strikes me as a long way for a USB cable.) And, because this is my first foray into networked audio, I'm not sure how to proceed. Is there some device, or whatever, that I could put in my listening room and connect to the network, and then connect to the 205's USB DAC input?

As I said, there's probably an answer here somewhere that I haven't found, and I'd be grateful if someone could point me to it.

Thanks.
BEScott is offline  
post #3879 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,384
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEScott View Post
First, I'm a newbie here, so go easy on me. I've been through a large portion of this incredibly useful and informative thread, yet suspect I'm about to ask a question to which there's an obvious answer that has been provided long ago -- in which case I hope someone can simply point me in the right direction.

Background: I've had my 205 for about a week, having upgraded from a 95. I'm using the 205 for 4K Blu-ray playback, CD/SACD playback, audio playback from USB drives, and audio playback on my home network, using JRiver as a DLNA server on a Windows 10 PC to push audio to the 205 via ethernet. I decided to upgrade from the 95 to accommodate a new, 4K TV. But my main use for the 95 was as an audio player and, as an audio professional, I chose the 205 due to its excellent analogue audio section and DACs. My main, 2-ch path is 205 to Parasound P7 to Parasound A21 to a pair of Thiel CS 3.7s, using the 205's balanced XLR outs. I know that's hardly a "be all to end all" system, but I'm fond of it and, with the addition of the 205, I seem to have hit some sort of audio sweet spot. That is, I'm quite pleased with the result . (FWIW, I use the 205's audio HDMI out to a Marantz 7702 for movies, to make use of the 7702's room correction and Atmos decoding, with the 7702's m-ch speaker outs going through the P7's "Theater Bypass" inputs to the A21 and some other, cobbled together power amps. Works well enough.)

Now, finally, my question: One thing I haven't checked out yet is the SQ using the 205's USB DAC input for analogue stereo playback. What I'd like to do is convey the files archived on my computer drive to the USB DAC input on the 205, via my network. (The computer is 50 feet or so from my media room and that strikes me as a long way for a USB cable.) And, because this is my first foray into networked audio, I'm not sure how to proceed. Is there some device, or whatever, that I could put in my listening room and connect to the network, and then connect to the 205's USB DAC input?

As I said, there's probably an answer here somewhere that I haven't found, and I'd be grateful if someone could point me to it.

Thanks.

It would seem if you are already streaming those files via JRiver, then you are already taking advantage of the Oppo DAC, so reconfiguring to use the USB dac input is redundant and unnecessary.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #3880 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 05:41 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,435
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 2518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEScott View Post
First, I'm a newbie here, so go easy on me. I've been through a large portion of this incredibly useful and informative thread, yet suspect I'm about to ask a question to which there's an obvious answer that has been provided long ago -- in which case I hope someone can simply point me in the right direction.

Background: I've had my 205 for about a week, having upgraded from a 95. I'm using the 205 for 4K Blu-ray playback, CD/SACD playback, audio playback from USB drives, and audio playback on my home network, using JRiver as a DLNA server on a Windows 10 PC to push audio to the 205 via ethernet. I decided to upgrade from the 95 to accommodate a new, 4K TV. But my main use for the 95 was as an audio player and, as an audio professional, I chose the 205 due to its excellent analogue audio section and DACs. My main, 2-ch path is 205 to Parasound P7 to Parasound A21 to a pair of Thiel CS 3.7s, using the 205's balanced XLR outs. I know that's hardly a "be all to end all" system, but I'm fond of it and, with the addition of the 205, I seem to have hit some sort of audio sweet spot. That is, I'm quite pleased with the result . (FWIW, I use the 205's audio HDMI out to a Marantz 7702 for movies, to make use of the 7702's room correction and Atmos decoding, with the 7702's m-ch speaker outs going through the P7's "Theater Bypass" inputs to the A21 and some other, cobbled together power amps. Works well enough.)

Now, finally, my question: One thing I haven't checked out yet is the SQ using the 205's USB DAC input for analogue stereo playback. What I'd like to do is convey the files archived on my computer drive to the USB DAC input on the 205, via my network. (The computer is 50 feet or so from my media room and that strikes me as a long way for a USB cable.) And, because this is my first foray into networked audio, I'm not sure how to proceed. Is there some device, or whatever, that I could put in my listening room and connect to the network, and then connect to the 205's USB DAC input?

As I said, there's probably an answer here somewhere that I haven't found, and I'd be grateful if someone could point me to it.

Thanks.
I would tend to agree with @glangford , but there is at least one option if you want to use the Oppo's USB DAC input from a long distance. That is the PS Audio LANRover (note the disclaimer that it won't work with Windows 10, though I don't seem to have had any issues...), which has a transmitter box and a receiver box which are paired together via either a direct CAT5 / CAT6 cable or can be connected via a local network (plug each into a network jack on the same subnet). I have one that I got a good deal on and it works quite well, though I question if it's actually worth the money.
gsr is online now  
post #3881 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tngiloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I would tend to agree with @glangford , but there is at least one option if you want to use the Oppo's USB DAC input from a long distance. That is the PS Audio LANRover (note the disclaimer that it won't work with Windows 10, though I don't seem to have had any issues...), which has a transmitter box and a receiver box which are paired together via either a direct CAT5 / CAT6 cable or can be connected via a local network (plug each into a network jack on the same subnet). I have one that I got a good deal on and it works quite well, though I question if it's actually worth the money.
@BEScott -I also use the LanRover w/o any problems running Window 10 on my laptop. Works great for me pushing JRiver MC to Oppo 205.
PSAudio has great CS, so (if you think this might work for you) you can call them and see what their return policy is. I have dealt with Jeremy at PSAudio and he is great.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
tngiloy is online now  
post #3882 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: NC
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
@BEScott -I also use the LanRover w/o any problems running Window 10 on my laptop. Works great for me pushing JRiver MC to Oppo 205.
PSAudio has great CS, so (if you think this might work for you) you can call them and see what their return policy is. I have dealt with Jeremy at PSAudio and he is great.
Thanks to all for your input. I have also questioned myself as to the point glangford makes, as to whether there's any SQ gain to be had from doing what I'm proposing. If I've been reading things right, the USB DAC input handles higher-res 2-ch DSD files than an ethernet hookup, yet does not handle m-ch stuff. So, I thought that maybe, if all I want to do is stream stereo files, I might see some audio improvement. And when it comes to audio, my curiosity often gets the best of me. (Though, I may be reading things wrong, as I often do when it comes to technical stuff; that's why I've spent my career as an audio *producer,* and not an engineer.)

I do appreciate the suggestions from gsr and tngiloy of the LANRover. It does look interesting. OTOH, I'm not sure that my curiosity extends to another 600 bucks, having just popped for the 205 Then again, where I work (I'm in radio) we've got multiple audio production facilities all connected via ethernet and maybe there's some gear involved that's a little less expensive. I'll have to ask around (even if it does mean betraying my ignorance to our engineers).

Thanks again, everyone.
BEScott is offline  
post #3883 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
IBNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Is the 205's HDMI In a viable port to take advantage of the unit's DAC for audio processing?

Here's my situation: The HEOS-equipped Denon AVR-X4400H in my theater system has some nice internet radio and streaming music content that I like to play from time to time as background while doing other things around the house (i.e., not "critical listening"). It sounds nice enough through my theater's Front L/R speakers, but even short experience with my new 205 makes me think it would sound even better run through the 205's DAC and output in analog to my dedicated 2CH stereo system. Looking at the various i/o ports on these two devices it seems to me that the only way to connect them is from the AVR's "Zone 2" HDMI Out to the 205's HDMI In. Will this work, and allow me to get DAC-processed audio from the 205's analog outs to my 2CH system's preamp?

I realize this might not be the highest/best use of the 205's HDMI In, but that port is otherwise unused in my system so this might be a good option for me if it's viable.

Thanks!

Mike
IBNR is offline  
post #3884 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 10:12 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,339
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
Is the 205's HDMI In a viable port to take advantage of the unit's DAC for audio processing?

Here's my situation: The HEOS-equipped Denon AVR-X4400H in my theater system has some nice internet radio and streaming music content that I like to play from time to time as background while doing other things around the house (i.e., not "critical listening"). It sounds nice enough through my theater's Front L/R speakers, but even short experience with my new 205 makes me think it would sound even better run through the 205's DAC and output in analog to my dedicated 2CH stereo system. Looking at the various i/o ports on these two devices it seems to me that the only way to connect them is from the AVR's "Zone 2" HDMI Out to the 205's HDMI In. Will this work, and allow me to get DAC-processed audio from the 205's analog outs to my 2CH system's preamp?

I realize this might not be the highest/best use of the 205's HDMI In, but that port is otherwise unused in my system so this might be a good option for me if it's viable.

Thanks!

Mike
Any audio you play via the HDMI Input will be available on both the Multi-channel and Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs. Any audio coming out on the Analog outputs of the player has been converted to Analog by the DACs in the player.

Now, you may run into a problem due to the HDMI Loop: You have HDMI coming out of the Denon into the OPPO and then (likely) also HDMI coming out of the OPPO back into the Denon. HDMI Copy Protection may balk at this depending on how the Denon does the handshake. It largely depends on whether the Denon keeps that HDMI input socket (fed from the OPPO) live when it is playing its Internet apps.

Depending on the ports in the Denon, an alternative would be to send your audio via Optical or Coax S/PDIF cable to the matching Input on the OPPO.
--Bob
IBNR likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #3885 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
IBNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Any audio you play via the HDMI Input will be available on both the Multi-channel and Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs. Any audio coming out on the Analog outputs of the player has been converted to Analog by the DACs in the player.

Now, you may run into a problem due to the HDMI Loop: You have HDMI coming out of the Denon into the OPPO and then (likely) also HDMI coming out of the OPPO back into the Denon. HDMI Copy Protection may balk at this depending on how the Denon does the handshake. It largely depends on whether the Denon keeps that HDMI input socket (fed from the OPPO) live when it is playing its Internet apps.

Depending on the ports in the Denon, an alternative would be to send your audio via Optical or Coax S/PDIF cable to the matching Input on the OPPO.
--Bob
Bob, thank you again for your most helpful reply. Ideally, I'd love to make this connection via S/PDIF but the Denon does not offer any digital audio output other than HDMI.

You are correct about the possible HDMI loop problem as I do have the 205's audio-only HDMI Out connected to the Denon's Blu-ray HDMI In (the 205 is connected directly to my display for video). I guess I'll just have to try it and find out!

Mike
IBNR is offline  
post #3886 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problem listening to Sonos via UDP-205 with a Sony TV

Not sure if anyone else posted on this but recently purchased the 205 and thought I'd relay a quick comment. I have a Sonos Connect through the optical digital audio input, 2 power amps, and a Sony xbr75x940e. I was getting a pause in audio playback when playing music through Sonos and initially thought it to be from the Connect player. I reset the player and changed the connection as well to be sure it wasn't the toslink. After sending diagnostics to Sonos and them seeing nothing I figured I'd call Oppo. Apparently Sony keeps their HDMI inputs live even with the TV powered off and the pause is a failed audio/digital hand off. The work around is to keep the Sony tv powered on while listening to music via Sonos Connect. Beats disconnecting the HDMI but certainly not ideal
AJP01 is offline  
post #3887 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 11:29 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,339
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
Bob, thank you again for your most helpful reply. Ideally, I'd love to make this connection via S/PDIF but the Denon does not offer any digital audio output other than HDMI.

You are correct about the possible HDMI loop problem as I do have the 205's audio-only HDMI Out connected to the Denon's Blu-ray HDMI In (the 205 is connected directly to my display for video). I guess I'll just have to try it and find out!

Mike
Check regular disc playback as well. There should be no problem for that since the OPPO should have its HDMI Input shut down when you are playing a disc -- thus no loop. But HDMI handshaking is often non-intuitive.

If you find a problem, try turning off HDMI CEC in the OPPO, the Denon, and your TV. HDMI CEC is remote control over the HDMI cable, and means that sockets may be kept "live" even when they are not selected for current playback. HDMI CEC may be given some fancy marketing name in the Denon and also in the TV. If it has to do with sensing that a device is connected, turning devices on/off, or automatically switching inputs, then that's HDMI CEC.

Another trick would be to make sure you switch the Denon to a DIFFERENT HDMI input socket (other than the one fed from Audio HDMI out of the OPPO) before you select to play its Internet apps. This might even be a socket that's not actually cabled. If that shuts down the socket fed from the OPPO then, once again, no loop.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #3888 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,339
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP01 View Post
Not sure if anyone else posted on this but recently purchased the 205 and thought I'd relay a quick comment. I have a Sonos Connect through the optical digital audio input, 2 power amps, and a Sony xbr75x940e. I was getting a pause in audio playback when playing music through Sonos and initially thought it to be from the Connect player. I reset the player and changed the connection as well to be sure it wasn't the toslink. After sending diagnostics to Sonos and them seeing nothing I figured I'd call Oppo. Apparently Sony keeps their HDMI inputs live even with the TV powered off and the pause is a failed audio/digital hand off. The work around is to keep the Sony tv powered on while listening to music via Sonos Connect. Beats disconnecting the HDMI but certainly not ideal
Yes, this has been a problem with quite a few people using newer Sony TVs. They are evidently sending unexpected HDMI traffic even while the TV is "Off" -- thus forcing an HDMI handshake (which mutes output). Leaving the TV On prevents that. As I understand it, there is a "No Display" button on the Sony remote which you can use to blank the panel while it is ON. Just remember to clear that when you want to go back to using the TV normally.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #3889 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yes, this has been a problem with quite a few people using newer Sony TVs. They are evidently sending unexpected HDMI traffic even while the TV is "Off" -- thus forcing an HDMI handshake (which mutes output). Leaving the TV On prevents that. As I understand it, there is a "No Display" button on the Sony remote which you can use to blank the panel while it is ON. Just remember to clear that when you want to go back to using the TV normally.
--Bob
Thanks Bob!
AJP01 is offline  
post #3890 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 01:13 PM
Newbie
 
jghoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
That is a DSD256 file which may be beyond Oppo's range. I believe it will play DSD64 (standard DSD) and DSD128 (2xDSD) but not DSD256 (4xDSD).

Incoming rant beware. I spoke with oppo today. Apparently the 205 will play up to dsd-64 any old way you please. it will play up to 128 if you set sacd output to pcm. It will play DSD 512 with some kind of windows streaming through a usb digital audio port. What a pain in the posterior. I am not completely computer illiterate, nor am I a coder. I run an NAS so I dont have to have my computer involved with my sound system. Now I have to go back to streaming through the comp any time I want 512 hires. I love oppo and the 205. To a layman its kinda frustrating though. Mainly because I have another thing to figure out rather than just listening to music.
jghoo is offline  
post #3891 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,339
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
Incoming rant beware. I spoke with oppo today. Apparently the 205 will play up to dsd-64 any old way you please. it will play up to 128 if you set sacd output to pcm. It will play DSD 512 with some kind of windows streaming through a usb digital audio port. What a pain in the posterior. I am not completely computer illiterate, nor am I a coder. I run an NAS so I dont have to have my computer involved with my sound system. Now I have to go back to streaming through the comp any time I want 512 hires. I love oppo and the 205. To a layman its kinda frustrating though. Mainly because I have another thing to figure out rather than just listening to music.
Yep. The big difference is that the Asynchronous USB DAC Input on the 205 goes *DIRECTLY* to the DACs, bypassing any digital audio processing.

Other methods of playback need to go through the normal digital audio paths of the player, and the hardware for those does not support the higher clock speeds.

Enabling the full range of formats through the USB DAC certainly seems preferable to limiting it to the formats the digital audio processing can handle. But it does mean users need to be aware of the limits each way.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #3892 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I go ATV directly to TV and optical out from TV to 205. 205 will not pass Dolby Vision through its HDMI input. It will pass 4K and HDR10.
So I need to configure the ATV4k to pass HDR10 via HDMI through the 205, right?
the-analog-kid is offline  
post #3893 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Newbie
 
jghoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yep. The big difference is that the Asynchronous USB DAC Input on the 205 goes *DIRECTLY* to the DACs, bypassing any digital audio processing.

Other methods of playback need to go through the normal digital audio paths of the player, and the hardware for those does not support the higher clock speeds.

Enabling the full range of formats through the USB DAC certainly seems preferable to limiting it to the formats the digital audio processing can handle. But it does mean users need to be aware of the limits each way.
--Bob
Bob,
my comp is at the other end of the house, I have an Ethernet cable goin from the comp to the TV area. Is there any kind of cable you are aware of that can go from Ethernet hub to usb dac?


Thanks,
Joe
jghoo is offline  
post #3894 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 02:55 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,339
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
Bob,
my comp is at the other end of the house, I have an Ethernet cable goin from the comp to the TV area. Is there any kind of cable you are aware of that can go from Ethernet hub to usb dac?


Thanks,
Joe
This is not something I've really looked into, but the LanRover mentioned in a couple posts earlier on this page would be one method:

https://www.psaudio.com/products/lan...b-transporter/

One end connects to the USB output of your computer. The other end connects to the USB DAC Input of the OPPO. The two ends communicate over your house ethernet network.

---------------------------------

An alternative would be to get a dedicated computer for playing your audio and positioning it near the OPPO for USB connection. You could still use your original computer as the storage for the files -- set up as a server to be accessed by the playing computer.

Basically the Asynchronous USB DAC Input presents itself to the USB output of your computer in such a way that the computer thinks it has a nifty new sound card available to use for audio instead of its normal built-in speakers. This is not something the computer is going to be expecting to do over the ethernet network.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #3895 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,339
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-analog-kid View Post
So I need to configure the ATV4k to pass HDR10 via HDMI through the 205, right?
That will happen automatically. If you have HDR output enabled in the ATV4K, and you play Dolby Vision content into the HDMI Input of the OPPO, the ATV4K will send HDR10 instead.

On the OPPO side, confirm that Setup > Device Setup > HDMI IN Specs is set to the default choice (UHD HDR) which enables the HDMI Input to receive 4K and HDR.
--Bob
the-analog-kid likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #3896 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-analog-kid View Post
So I need to configure the ATV4k to pass HDR10 via HDMI through the 205, right?
What Bob said. Also if you have an OLED I would not recommend setting the Apple TV into HDR as default. Running the TV in max luminance 24/7 could cause issues with burn in IMO.
the-analog-kid likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
drewTT is offline  
post #3897 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 04:31 PM
Newbie
 
jghoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bob,

It looks like lanrover is no longer made. I spoke with PS audio and they stated it has been discontinued. The obvious answer at this point is as you stated. A cheap win 7 laptop at the oppo.
jghoo is offline  
post #3898 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 05:15 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,339
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
Bob,

It looks like lanrover is no longer made. I spoke with PS audio and they stated it has been discontinued. The obvious answer at this point is as you stated. A cheap win 7 laptop at the oppo.
Consider also the software you want to use on the computer when playing those music files. There are software packages that will do a much better job than, say, Windows Media Player. I.e., they make more sophisticated use of the computer's hardware when rendering the files to the digital stream going to the OPPO.

Audirvana is one example, but there are others.

When picking the cheap computer, check that it will support the software you want to use for this.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #3899 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tngiloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 1,458
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghoo View Post
Bob,

It looks like lanrover is no longer made. I spoke with PS audio and they stated it has been discontinued. The obvious answer at this point is as you stated. A cheap win 7 laptop at the oppo.
If you think the Lanrover may work for you it is available here: https://www.musicdirect.com/dac/PS-A...SB-Transporter
and from other retailers. GTS. A win7 laptop may be cheaper. Your choice. MD probably has a 30 day return policy so you could try it for a while and see if it works.

Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
tngiloy is online now  
post #3900 of 7105 Old 03-27-2018, 07:12 PM
Newbie
 
jghoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
If you think the Lanrover may work for you it is available here: https://www.musicdirect.com/dac/PS-A...SB-Transporter
and from other retailers. GTS. A win7 laptop may be cheaper. Your choice. MD probably has a 30 day return policy so you could try it for a while and see if it works.

Tom

Thx for the heads up. given the price and what the manufacture said I will most likely get a cheap laptop to place near the 205.
jghoo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off