Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4113Likes

post #4981 of 6752 Old 07-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
This was close to working but the Marantz doesn't let you use the same HDMI input on multiple inputs. I have racked my brain trying to figure this out. I guess I will just stick to just one HDMI cable for all my audio video needs. How did they not program a button on the Oppo to prioritize audio source? Seems like a huge oversight as 99% of people run AVRs. The difference in sound quality isn't probably worth the additional headache. Thanks for trying though guys, I appreciate it.

*****Sorry, I found a fix! I just hook up the analog to the same input and just switch the Input audio source on the Marantz. It's the fastest way to do this. I can live with this! Sorry for the long winded reply, I hope this helps someone else!****
Greg
I’m not sure what you think OPPO might have added to help on this. Both the Analog and HDMI audio are live at the same time.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 6752 Old 07-08-2018, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
This was close to working but the Marantz doesn't let you use the same HDMI input on multiple inputs. I have racked my brain trying to figure this out. I guess I will just stick to just one HDMI cable for all my audio video needs. How did they not program a button on the Oppo to prioritize audio source? Seems like a huge oversight as 99% of people run AVRs. The difference in sound quality isn't probably worth the additional headache. Thanks for trying though guys, I appreciate it.

*****Sorry, I found a fix! I just hook up the analog to the same input and just switch the Input audio source on the Marantz. It's the fastest way to do this. I can live with this! Sorry for the long winded reply, I hope this helps someone else!****

Greg

I believe that’s how others were suggesting to handle this but what Bob was suggesting was to connect the analog out of Oppo to an analog input on the Marantz like CD then HDMI out of Oppo to an HDMI input on Marantz.

You can then go into option menu on the Marantz when on CD input and choose Video Select which will allow you to select the HDMI video from another source while listening to the audio from the analog input. This can be a one time setting or something you can change as needed if you want to see video from another HDMI source while listening to the analog audio from Oppo. This would save you from having to change the input audio and just select different inputs on the Marantz but at this point it’s a personal preference and you have it working which is all the matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muscles likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #4983 of 6752 Old 07-08-2018, 02:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
It's not an Oppo problem. The bottom line is that most people pick analog or HDMI and have no interest in switching between them. For those who do want to switch back and forth, it should (and can be) handled by the AVR or pre-pro.

Quote:
Hmm... If only someone had suggested doing that...
mbroadus and muscles like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4984 of 6752 Old 07-08-2018, 02:04 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
I believe that’s how others were suggesting to handle this but what Bob was suggesting was to connect the analog out of Oppo to an analog input on the Marantz like CD then HDMI out of Oppo to an HDMI input on Marantz.

You can then go into option menu on the Marantz when on CD input and choose Video Select which will allow you to select the HDMI video from another source while listening to the audio from the analog input. This can be a one time setting or something you can change as needed if you want to see video from another HDMI source while listening to the analog audio from Oppo. This would save you from having to change the input audio and just select different inputs on the Marantz but at this point it’s a personal preference and you have it working which is all the matters.
Which way is "best" depends heavily on what one is using as their remote control. In my case, I've got direct buttons programmed that allow me to quickly switch between the various audio input modes, so it's the option that works best for me. I do sometimes wonder why we bother posting though as the other poster clearly ignored both your suggestion and mine and apparently eventually stumbled across the solution I use on his own.
post #4985 of 6752 Old 07-08-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Which way is "best" depends heavily on what one is using as their remote control. In my case, I've got direct buttons programmed that allow me to quickly switch between the various audio input modes, so it's the option that works best for me. I do sometimes wonder why we bother posting though as the other poster clearly ignored both your suggestion and mine and apparently eventually stumbled across the solution I use on his own.

I agree and at the end of the day we have to press another button(s) to get what we need. I have a Harmony which doesn’t allow much customization but my old MX950 did and I had buttons setup for other commands similar to what you’re describing. I miss that remote.

I’m anal about changing the input audio manually though as there will always be that time I forget to check and watch half a movie before I realize I forgot to change back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muscles likes this.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #4986 of 6752 Old 07-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
It wasn't exactly what was suggested. The Marantz not allowing multiple uses of the same input was a hangup. I also didn't want to run another HDMI video only to my TV, big PITA. There is another menu item (in the marantz) at the bottom of the input that allows the forcing of different audio outs, that is what I eventually used. I just plugged the interconnects to the Bluray input that happens to be the same place the main HDMI is also plugged. The problem being is that if I forget to change it back to HDMI and I watch a movie or have friends over and there is no audio I will hopefully remember what I did.

Also, maybe I didn't fully conceptualize what you guys were trying to say to me. I am relatively new to this hobby (2 years or so) and this is my first decent setup. I don't really appreciate the condescending tone I get in some of the responses on this thread. Do you think I look forward to posting in here? I know I will get berated, but at the end of the day I usually get the solution that works "for me." This hobby is brutal because the community can be toxic. Some of us don't live to test out every conceivable use of the hardware/software some of us just genuinely enjoy listening to music and watching movies.

To those who offer help without judgment you guys are the best!

Greg
Madmax67 and ad5wb like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #4987 of 6752 Old 07-08-2018, 04:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
It wasn't exactly what was suggested. The Marantz not allowing multiple uses of the same input was a hangup. I also didn't want to run another HDMI video only to my TV, big PITA. There is another menu item (in the marantz) at the bottom of the input that allows the forcing of different audio outs, that is what I eventually used. I just plugged the interconnects to the Bluray input that happens to be the same place the main HDMI is also plugged. The problem being is that if I forget to change it back to HDMI and I watch a movie or have friends over and there is no audio I will hopefully remember what I did.
What you ended up doing is exactly what I was describing... It's called "audio input mode" or something similar with options for "auto", "HDMI", "digital" (as in optical or coax), XLR or 2 channel RCA (depending on which input), and 7.1 ext in (for the 7.1 RCA outputs from the Oppo). The "auto" selection isn't very useful as it will always pick the "best" digital connection, if available, and only fallback to analog if no digital audio is available. In addition to going into the menus to switch modes, there are discrete remote commands (not on the remote that comes with the Marantz products, it's something you would need to program into a third-party remote (such as Logitech Harmony or Crestron), which is what I've done.

What @T-smith was describing is another way to do what you want.

Quote:
Also, maybe I didn't fully conceptualize what you guys were trying to say to me. I am relatively new to this hobby (2 years or so) and this is my first decent setup. I don't really appreciate the condescending tone I get in some of the responses on this thread. Do you think I look forward to posting in here? I know I will get berated, but at the end of the day I usually get the solution that works "for me." This hobby is brutal because the community can be toxic. Some of us don't live to test out every conceivable use of the hardware/software some of us just genuinely enjoy listening to music and watching movies.

To those who offer help without judgment you guys are the best!
Never be afraid to ask questions, but when people post responses to questions and the answer doesn't quite get you there it's generally a good idea to ask follow up questions quoting those posts. If nothing else, a quoted follow-up acknowledges that their time wasn't wasted in posting a response.

But I was also trying to nudge you to seek further assistance in the appropriate Marantz thread for your pre-pro. I know that @T-smith and I both follow the AV8802 and/or AV8805 threads (I follow both). What you've been asking about really isn't an Oppo question; it's a question about how to use your Marantz. So it's a combination of being off-topic in this thread (there was absolutely no harm in asking here initially, especially given that you aren't very experienced in this hobby yet) and the Marantz threads having a different mix of people to answer your question, all with actual experience with the product. There are several ways to accomplish what you're looking for - if you explore the other options, you might find you prefer one of the others. But this thread isn't the place to get further in depth on the topic.
muscles and ad5wb like this.
post #4988 of 6752 Old 07-08-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Never be afraid to ask questions, but when people post responses to questions and the answer doesn't quite get you there it's generally a good idea to ask follow up questions quoting those posts. If nothing else, a quoted follow-up acknowledges that their time wasn't wasted in posting a response.
Nice response , GSR.
post #4989 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpw4711 View Post
Well,

[1] did you Factory Reset after the base FW update?

[2] did you update over USB to the latest USB Firmware (1.08) who supports really MQA (UK-OPPO do not show any USB Firmware, only found within OPPO USA). I had 1.02 and requires first 1.05 and afterwords the 1.08.
While this USB Firmware is for the XMOS USB CHIP

I did not do a factory reset after the latest firmware update and haven't experienced any issues yet. However I only use the player to play disc's (bluray, 4k, cd's sacd's and dvd-a). Should I do a factory reset anyway just to be sure everything is in order?

Cheers

Hp

I did not do a factory reset after the latest firmware update and haven't experienced any issues, but then again I only use the player for playing disc's. Should I do a factory reset anyway to make sure everything is in order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viritrilbia View Post
I set my HP volume at 25 when starting to use the Oppo using Shure 1540 phones. That gives me a good point from which to increase slightly if I want to.

Thanks for that info. I wind up with the volume between 28 & 30 when using the headphone amp. Based on your post I would guess your listening volume is somewhere in that vicinity?

Sony 75xZ9D
Sony UBP-X800 4K player
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 07-09-2018 at 05:41 AM.
post #4990 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I did not do a factory reset after the latest firmware update and haven't experienced any issues, but then again I only use the player for playing disc's. Should I do a factory reset anyway to make sure everything is in order?
Hi, I found that not doing a factory reset after the DV update made it work right (it wouldn't work before I did the reset with my AVR).
I would save the settings on thumb drive and do one and then restore. It won't hurt and it might help. It did for me and I didn't expect it to.
Mark

System
Spoiler!
post #4991 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 3296
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsy73 View Post
Hello,
Forgive me if i come across like a Neanderthal, i don't post very often.
I have noticed some spin noise coming from my 205 since updating to the latest firmware.
The noise only appears when playing MQA CD's, well actually the only one i own at the moment which is a Jazz compilation.
Anyway, this noise was not present before updating so im wondering if anybody else has noticed it.
Also, staying on the MQA subject, during playback the screen shows i am playing a 16/44.1 CD however when i press the info button i get the correct information.
Just to be sure i copied the disc to a Verbatim CD-R and still have the same spin noise, very similar to a fan in operation.
I have tried many different CD's/BD's/DVD's but it appears it is only during MQA disc playback. Odd.
I just tried playing The Royal Scam MQA CD in my 205 that has the latest firmware and it does have the fan like noise that 4k Blu-rays have when played with the 205. I have a second 205 in a small bedroom system that does not have the latest firmware update.

I connected a small display from my kitchen to the 205 upstairs to check the firmware version and the other version numbers. "MQA Studio" and "Stereo 44.1k 16b" is displayed when playing an MQA CD with both firmware versions. So it appears that the older firmware version did in fact have MQA CD playback capability.

205 with no noise when playing MQA CDs (bedroom):

Main Version: UDP20X-56-0224
Loader Version: TF0035 8577 0035
Sub Version: MCU205-01-1220
Chip Version: OC.00.01.00
Dac Version: USB-0111

205 with fan like noise when playing MQA CDs (main system):

Main Version: UDP20X-60-0625
Dac Version: USB-0112

I'll be contacting Oppo to see if they are aware of the louder transport noise when playing MQA CDs with the 205 with the latest firmware version installed.

Bill
ti-triodes and watsy73 like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4992 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanner View Post
Hi, I found that not doing a factory reset after the DV update made it work right (it wouldn't work before I did the reset with my AVR).
I would save the settings on thumb drive and do one and then restore. It won't hurt and it might help. It did for me and I didn't expect it to.
Mark

Thanks Mark, it's been recommended by people in the know on this forum to do a factory reset after a firmware update. Is this is a recommendation that comes from Oppo also?

Sony 75xZ9D
Sony UBP-X800 4K player
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #4993 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 08:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4541 Post(s)
Liked: 4372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Thanks Mark, it's been recommended by people in the know on this forum to do a factory reset after a firmware update. Is this is a recommendation that comes from Oppo also?
It is in the installation instructions:

Quote:
We recommend resetting the player to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware. You can do so by going to the Setup Menu / Device Setup / Reset Factory Defaults. Re-enter your customized settings as necessary after resetting.
The Settings Management functions make saving and restoring your settings easy.

-Bill
tngiloy likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #4994 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
So you listened to the 105D two years ago and now you're saying the 205 is "flat, lifeless and dry" by comparison? How could you possibly recall how the 105D sounded two years ago? Did you listen to the 105D and 205 in the same exact system? What SACD player are you referring to? Does your Onkyo player play DVD-As? Also the "salesman" you're referring to should educate himself on the "sound" differences between the 105D and the 205. The SQ differences are not "just cosmetics" .

I did a direct comparison of my 105D and 205 in my system with both connected (at the same time) to my XMC-1 using RCA analog cables. Switching between analog inputs with the XMC-1 is seamless with almost no delay. The 105D was a few years old and the 205 was brand new. The music used was Patricia Barber's Nightclub SACD which I have two copies. What I found was that both players sounded excellent with a slight edge to the 205 in overall detail and definition of the bass.

So my findings are the exact opposite of yours. You might think that I'm dismissing your thoughts on the 205 due to being a fan of Oppo players and that your thoughts are not positive. But in fact the reason I'm dismissing your thoughts are because you compared the 105D and 205 two years apart. With that I don't see any way that your comparison could be the least bit accurate. Not sure if you realize the fact that accurate audio memory is quite short and two years time is way past that .

Bill
No, I experienced the same flatter sound even after more than 300 hours of break-in. And I have both 105 and 205 units. There is more air and life within the soundstage from the 105. I would say that the 205 has a very Hi-Fi Analytical Sound. Dryer, colder and more sterile. The 105 sounds much more inviting, musically more organic. Trust your heart people!

Last edited by DolbyCinema; 07-09-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #4995 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I picked up my 1st MQA CD and I had read that we have file playback on the 205 but the CD playback is to follow?
post #4996 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I recently upgraded my 205 to the latest firmware and also upgraded the USB DAC firmware per the instructions on Oppo's product support webpage. I connected my Macbook Pro to the USB DAC input and appear to be successfully streaming Tidal masters however, I'm unable to see any video when I hit the info button on the Oppo remote. I have an HDMI connection to my Yamaha 3070 for watching blu rays and listening to multi-channel audio but also utilize the XLR outs when listening to 2 channel stereo.

I understand that some AVRs have an option to allow video to be sent via HDMI when utilizing analog inputs but for the life of me I can't find the feature on my Yamaha. Does anyone here know if this option is available on Yamaha AVRs and I'm just missing it in the manual? Thanks!
post #4997 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Kal:

In your review, you mentioned that multi-channel input via HDMI was flaky. Did you ever get it to work properly? If so, please tell me how! Thank you!

My original post:

Has anyone else tried to get multi-channel audio through the HDMI input? When I play my ISO files, Foobar says it is outputting 5-channel PCM 88.2k like I want, but both info screens on the 205 say it is getting only stereo 48k. I tried hanging an HDMI audio de-embedder on the audio-only HDMI output, but got the same result.

The manual says the HDMI input will accept up to 8-channel 192kHz audio. So is this an EDID handshake issue? Do I need to connect a multi-channel HDMI sink (like a receiver or pre-pro) to the 205's HDMI audio-only output in order to get this to work properly?
post #4998 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolbyCinema View Post
No, I experienced the same flatter sound even after more than 300 hours of break-in. And I have both 105 and 205 units. There is more air and life within the soundstage from the 105. I would say that the 205 has a very Hi-Fi Analytical Sound. Dryer, colder and more sterile. The 105 sounds much more inviting, musically more organic. Trust your heart people!
Different synergy.
So what you do now is carefully pack up the 205 and put it up for sale here.
Mickboy
Kabillyhop likes this.

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #4999 of 6752 Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sorry for my late reply and thank you for your help.
After contacting OPPO UK i recived the following reply -
'Hi Chris,
That's an interesting one, can I just confirm with you that you are fully aware of the mandatory Factory re-er procedure following any FW updates, likely you know but its vital I check as it solves most issues.I can, if the issue pervades, get you to capture a running log (will explain) and capture this from you and share wit the Factory.

Did you do the mandatory factory reset after the last firmware update? The player will not work properly at all unless the factory reset is done after every firmware update. The player will shut down automatically after the firmware update. The Player will then power up/re-boot itself, When the screen shows "No Disc" press the set-up button on the remote. Go to Device Set-up then to 'Reset Factory Defaults' at the bottom of the list. With this highlighted press Enter.
Choose 'Erase Accounts and Settings' Select OK and press Enter. Wait for the player to do the reset and clear any error data from flash memory (takes just a second or two) 'Volume fixed 100' will appear briefly on screen, you can then enter any custom settings, or use Easy Set-up to make basic player settings or use the section just above reset in the Menu's where you can export and import your settings onto a clean and formatted USB stick'

After completing the factory reset the problem still persists.
I am waiting for a reply.
post #5000 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

After upgrading my speakers and amp [Yamaha AS-1100 / Montor Audio Gold 200's] i can honestly say the 205 sounds nothing like you say to my 45 year old ears!
I found out i was using crappy speakers.

Having said that listening as we all know is a very individual experience. I hope you find audio nirvana elsewhere.
post #5001 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I just tried playing The Royal Scam MQA CD in my 205 that has the latest firmware and it does have the fan like noise that 4k Blu-rays have when played with the 205. I have a second 205 in a small bedroom system that does not have the latest firmware update.

I connected a small display from my kitchen to the 205 upstairs to check the firmware version and the other version numbers. "MQA Studio" and "Stereo 44.1k 16b" is displayed when playing an MQA CD with both firmware versions. So it appears that the older firmware version did in fact have MQA CD playback capability.

205 with no noise when playing MQA CDs (bedroom):

Main Version: UDP20X-56-0224
Dac Version: USB-0111

205 with fan like noise when playing MQA CDs (main system):

Main Version: UDP20X-60-0625
Dac Version: USB-0112

I'll be contacting Oppo to see if they are aware of the louder transport noise when playing MQA CDs with the 205 with the latest firmware version installed.

Bill
Not with all MQA CDs for "high disc speed" but still a firmware issue.
post #5002 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It is in the installation instructions:

The Settings Management functions make saving and restoring your settings easy.

-Bill
Thanks Bill, sounds like a factory reset is in order.

Sony 75xZ9D
Sony UBP-X800 4K player
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #5003 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question

Quote:
Many thanks Bob.

I have my music collection connected with HDs to the 95, and also accessible via NAS, though I do so via my own genre-based and alphabetical folders. Can the 205 take HDs with greater capacity than 2tb each, which is the limit for the 95?

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "SMB-shared disc" mean?

V
Anyone able to answer these queries from a while back?

I now have my 205 set-up with 3 x 2tb drives attached and one 2tb ready to swap in when needed. But wondering if I can, at some point, replace two of the 2tb drives with a 4tb to save the swapping issue. Strangely, one of my 2tb drives will only work on the front USB, despite being almost identical to 2 of the other drives which work fine in the rear inputs (all are USB3 compatible).

I'm guessing that SMB-shared means something to do with not being processed through the DNLA system. But can't find a good explanation on the web. I have noticed that both my HDs and NAS music files can play gapless, which is a nice surprise since I thought only the HD-held files would do so.

Thanks
V
post #5004 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Referring back to what Bob said in post #4971 , since you still have your 205 and are "trusting your heart" perhaps you are not quite ready to give up on optimal audio performance from your 205. Unless you have carefully checked your audio settings and other equipment setup you may find that your 205 is hampered by these. As Bob had mentioned refining one's settings utilitzing suggested settings from forum members can work wonders on these units. Little things for example: Stereo downmix, SACD stereo mode (vice multi channel, if your setup is 2.0) and XLR polarity (when hooked up via balanced connection) can have a huge effect on your stereo playback. Some would argue that dynamic limiting mode should be set to off and so on. Hooking up RCA interconnects via F/R and F/L for stereo playback could also yield some disappointing results.

I could relate a personal story with regard to XLR playback on my bdp-95. I had sent it out for some upgrades at Modwright and upon returning the playback via RCA was great but the XLR playback was kind of awful. After ruling out malfunction or broken equipment and many conversations with Oppo service (and looking carefully at settings) I took the advice of members on the forum and reset the unit to factory default and started over. Voila! the XLR's were singing again and offering the sonic improvements vs RCA playback that the unit exhibited prior to modification. Although I had checked XLR polarity before I am of the opinion that the polarity had inverted and did not display this mode properly. This had gone on for an embarrassingly long time (don't ask) but suffice it to say that I had listed a fairly valuable XLR interconnect on the used market and replaced it with an upscale RCA cable for ultimate enjoyment of stereo playback with my Oppo. Had I sold the XLR before doing the reset, I would never have reached the stereo fidelity promised land that had awaited me all that time. On the bright side, I often toggle between my RCA and XLR inputs to utilize the unique sonic attributes of each with equally matched cables to take advantage of presentation with various materials so I don't consider it a waste of resources. Point being, our members can help with settings and setup of these sophisticated players so we fail to avail ourselves at our own peril. RHH
Madmax67 likes this.
post #5005 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 10:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Anyone able to answer these queries from a while back?

I now have my 205 set-up with 3 x 2tb drives attached and one 2tb ready to swap in when needed. But wondering if I can, at some point, replace two of the 2tb drives with a 4tb to save the swapping issue. Strangely, one of my 2tb drives will only work on the front USB, despite being almost identical to 2 of the other drives which work fine in the rear inputs (all are USB3 compatible).

I'm guessing that SMB-shared means something to do with not being processed through the DNLA system. But can't find a good explanation on the web. I have noticed that both my HDs and NAS music files can play gapless, which is a nice surprise since I thought only the HD-held files would do so.

Thanks
V
Yes, the 203 supports volumes large than 2TB.

SMB is a file sharing protocol for local networks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

It is part of MS Windows, commonly available on NAS servers, and is supported as Samba on linux.

DLNA is something different, also used for network access to your files.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #5006 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Yes, the 203 supports volumes large than 2TB.

SMB is a file sharing protocol for local networks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

It is part of MS Windows, commonly available on NAS servers, and is supported as Samba on linux.

DLNA is something different, also used for network access to your files.

-Bill
Many thanks Bill. (205 rather than 203, though).

Setup: Oppo UDP-205EU. Pioneer SC-LX87. Cambridge Audio Azur 851A integrated amp. PMC PB1i front speakers. PMC DB1MC centre. BK XSL200-DF Mk2 sub. B&W Solid Centrale rears & rear surrounds. Cheapo front heights.
post #5007 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Well,speaking of firmware update s, when I did mine, I was unaware that one was supposed to do a factory reset.
I did NOT do one and my 205 is happily playing away in my stereo rack.
Am my missing something here??

Mickboy
IBNR likes this.

M.Jagger 1969
post #5008 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 12:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post
Well,speaking of firmware update s, when I did mine, I was unaware that one was supposed to do a factory reset.
I did NOT do one and my 205 is happily playing away in my stereo rack.
Am my missing something here??

Mickboy
It's recommended, not required. Unless you have problems, then we ask "Did you do it?" And sometimes that helps.

Since you can save and restore your settings to a USB stick in seconds, it really costs nothing.

-Bill
Madmax67 likes this.

post #5009 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
It's recommended, not required. Unless you have problems, then we ask "Did you do it?" And sometimes that helps.

Since you can save and restore your settings to a USB stick in seconds, it really costs nothing.

-Bill
Bill, are you with OPPO Digital?
If you are how cool that you're here!

But no, I have had no problems in the stereo rack, it's just a playing away and sounding better every day!
And speaking to those like me who are using this as a Stereo only deck, here are a few settings I changed or used:
Dynamic range-OFF. as an audio disc spinner, I don't want dynamic range messed with.
Stereo Down Mix ( I believe it is), to output only Stereo, no subwoofer, no surround.
Sacd output- Stereo layer.
Audio output-variable. And be aware, having the 205 hooked up to your Stereo AND having the output at 100
Will blast you away, I couldn't turn my pre amps volume knob past '2' it was so loud, then I remembered that the 205 acts as a preamp, so on the remote I turned down the volume to 72 and it matches the output of my other components.

So again, no factory reset after firmware update, a d everything is fine.
Mickboy

M.Jagger 1969
post #5010 of 6752 Old 07-10-2018, 01:07 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post
Bill, are you with OPPO Digital?
No, I'm a beta tester and maintain the unofficial FAQs. Several of us have been here for years. Can't get away...

-Bill
IBNR likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page