Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4120Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tngiloy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morrison, Colorado
Posts: 1,402
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 304
If FedEx delivers on time I should have mine on Wednesday. I plan to use the 'USB DAC' to play music from JRiver MC20. Right now I'm using the USB DAC in on my HA-1 and have the driver for Win10 downloaded from the HA-1 support page.
As of this morning there is no link on the UDP-205 support page for the USB driver. Do any of the Beta's know if its the same driver as the HA-1 or the Sonica DAC ?
I emailed Oppo about this but some of the people who have received their 205's may want to try this out before Oppo puts the driver download on the 205 support page.
Thanks,
Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
tngiloy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Thanks for posting the pics ! Looks very swish indeed. Good to hear on the buttons. Yes nothing is bigger peeve for me these days are those silly persistent buttons likes of Samsung and pana use on their players. Give me real buttons any day
Cliff Olson likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #33 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I ready to "BETA" test this THANG.... tired of my 203
Operon likes this.
styx rogan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,226
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
If FedEx delivers on time I should have mine on Wednesday. I plan to use the 'USB DAC' to play music from JRiver MC20. Right now I'm using the USB DAC in on my HA-1 and have the driver for Win10 downloaded from the HA-1 support page.
As of this morning there is no link on the UDP-205 support page for the USB driver. Do any of the Beta's know if its the same driver as the HA-1 or the Sonica DAC ?
I emailed Oppo about this but some of the people who have received their 205's may want to try this out before Oppo puts the driver download on the 205 support page.
Thanks,
Tom
If you are using a Windows computer to connect to the USB DAC Input of the UDP-205, you can get the needed driver from the Support page for OPPO's Sonica DAC here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-da...c-Support.aspx

I've put a message in to OPPO that they need to get that info on the new Support page for the UDP-205 as well.

-----------------------------

If you are using a Mac computer instead, no driver installation is needed.
--Bob
QQ007 likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #35 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:40 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,503
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
.......Just to be clear here. The Analog outs of the 205 are designed to be connected to the inputs of a pre-amp. OPPO is not suggesting folks should use it directly connected to a power amp. But just as with the 105 and 105D I suspect some will.
--Bob
But then you loose the wonderful new DACS from OPPO!
wse is offline  
post #36 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:43 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,503
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
See the two Reference links I posted at the top of this thread to posts I made in the 205 Anticipation thread regarding Analog vs Digital audio output and how to set up your AVR for Analog input.
--Bob
My new AVR Anthem AVM-60 doesn't have analog audio input so the 205 is overkill for me

Plus I really love ATMOS and DTS:X
wse is offline  
post #37 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,226
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
But then you loose the wonderful new DACS from OPPO!
Incorrect. You simply have to arrange for the rest of your gear to do "pass through" of the Analog from the OPPO.
--bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #38 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 AM
Member
 
SonicBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be connecting to my preamp using pass through with xlr cables using the Oppos dacs and then comparing that to the hdmi connection to see the difference in sound, my prepro is a Marantz AV8802A.
Has anyone else done this? I know Oppo uses SABRE PRO DACs and the Marantz uses AK4490 32-bit DACs, my assumption is there will be a difference, but how much and what kind? Also Marantz AV8802a has xlr in, that will use Marantzs' dacs.
SonicBlast is offline  
post #39 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,226
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
My new AVR Anthem AVM-60 doesn't have analog audio input so the 205 is overkill for me

Plus I really love ATMOS and DTS:X
You shouldn't be looking at the 205 then. Consider the OPPO 203 instead.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #40 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,226
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlast View Post
I will be connecting to my preamp with xlr cables using the Oppos dacs and then comparing that to the hdmi connection to see the difference in sound, my prepro is a Marantz AV8802A.
Has anyone else done this? I know Oppo uses SABRE PRO DACs and the Marantz uses AK4490 32-bit DACs, my assumption is there will be a difference, but how much and what kind? Also Marantz AV8802a has xlr in, that will use Marantzs' dacs.
If you want to hear the unmodified quality of the XLR outs of the OPPO 205 you should configure your Marantz to "pass through" the Analog input -- with no re-digitizing and no use of the DACS in the Marantz.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #41 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Member
 
gurgenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
You shouldn't be looking at the 205 then. Consider the OPPO 203 instead.
--Bob
hi bob,

i know that similar questions have been asked before. but if we have a new generation AV pre-receiver (like a AV8802A), what is the advantage of 205 over 203 through HDMI connection.both picture and sound quality wises..
gurgenta is offline  
post #42 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:56 AM
Member
 
SonicBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you want to hear the unmodified quality of the XLR outs of the OPPO 205 you should configure your Marantz to "pass through" the Analog input -- with no re-digitizing and no use of the DACS in the Marantz.
--Bob
Ok, thank you.
SonicBlast is offline  
post #43 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,226
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurgenta View Post
hi bob,

i know that similar questions have been asked before. but if we have a new generation AV pre-receiver (like a AV8802A), what is the advantage of 205 over 203 through HDMI connection.both picture and sound quality wises..
The 203 and 205 are identical as regards video.

The Audio HDMI output of the 205 has a new Anti-Jitter Circuit targeted at minimizing the effects of Jitter on HDMI Audio when using that socket for output. OPPO's white paper on that can be read here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledge...ProdID=UDP-205

Other than that, HDMI audio output in the 203 and 205 are also identical.

The *MAIN* reason for considering the 205 would be if you think you might want to explore the OTHER features of the 205, such as improved Analog outputs, the Headphones output, and additional types of Digital Audio Input sockets.
--Bob
Cla55clown likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #44 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Same info as from the anticipation thread, you also have 205 being different in regards to the following:

Quote:
High Quality Metal Construction
Reinforced Chassis Structure
The UDP-205 features a brushed aluminum front panel and a metal chassis that continues the tradition of excellent workmanship found in previous generations of OPPO universal players. The new double-layered chassis further enhances the stability and vibration-canceling capabilities.
Quote:
Toroidal Power Supply - Clean Power for Clear Music
The UDP-205 has separate power supplies for digital and analog circuitry to eliminate virtually all harmful interference. The analog audio circuitry is powered by a massive toroidal power transformer, which offers superior efficiency and significantly lower exterior magnetic field interference compared to traditional laminated steel core transformers. The toroidal linear power supply provides a very clean and robust power source to the audio components.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #45 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 14,463
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2206 Post(s)
Liked: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy701 View Post
I'll probably not upgrade from 105D until it can play ISO files.
And I rarely use the headphone jack on the 105D, mainly use it as DAC/pre-amp for my Pathos Aurium, which sounds Amazing.
Does the 105D play ISO files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The 203 and 205 are identical as regards video.
I think "The 203 and 205 are identical as regards to video" needs to be added to the first post in HUGE letters .

Bill
woofer likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

Last edited by Bill Mac; 04-23-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #46 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cliff Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlast View Post
I will be connecting to my preamp using pass through with xlr cables using the Oppos dacs and then comparing that to the hdmi connection to see the difference in sound, my prepro is a Marantz AV8802A.
Has anyone else done this? I know Oppo uses SABRE PRO DACs and the Marantz uses AK4490 32-bit DACs, my assumption is there will be a difference, but how much and what kind? Also Marantz AV8802a has xlr in, that will use Marantzs' dacs.
Let me know what you find. The DACs in the OPPO's have always been better than using HDMI to my Marantz AV7005 by a large margin. Of course, use source direct in the Marantz so there is zero processing.
Cliff Olson is offline  
post #47 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Member
 
SonicBlast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
Let me know what you find. The DACs in the OPPO's have always been better than using HDMI to my Marantz AV7005 by a large margin. Of course, use source direct in the Marantz so there is zero processing.
Will do.
SonicBlast is offline  
post #48 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Member
 
nemir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So.... I never really got my head around Darbee...

My understanding is that it's some sort of image processing algorithm that presents better depth, detail and contrast in the picture? Is that right?

And it does not affect the sound qualiity at all..?

Should I wait for a Darbee edition?

Or is that no longer a thing in UHD?

Cheers!
nemir is offline  
post #49 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 03:16 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,425
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4576 Post(s)
Liked: 4416
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemir View Post
So.... I never really got my head around Darbee...

My understanding is that it's some sort of image processing algorithm that presents better depth, detail and contrast in the picture? Is that right?

And it does not affect the sound qualiity at all..?

Should I wait for a Darbee edition?

Or is that no longer a thing in UHD?

Cheers!
Darbee increases perceived contrast by adjusting luminance on a per-pixel basis.

We don't know if there will be a 4K Darbee product, or if OPPO will use it in a future player.

UHD has complicated the situation a great deal. Darbee is a subtle effect when used properly and I'm afraid it will be lost in the shuffle of the other new features: greater resolution, wider color space, and high dynamic range.

I would not wait.

-Bill
Operon likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #50 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,450
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 422
4K Darbee in the world of 1) 4K, 2) WCG, 3) HDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Darbee increases perceived contrast by adjusting luminance on a per-pixel basis.

We don't know if there will be a 4K Darbee product, or if OPPO will use it in a future player.

UHD has complicated the situation a great deal. Darbee is a subtle effect when used properly and I'm afraid it will be lost in the shuffle of the other new features: greater resolution, wider color space, and high dynamic range.

I would not wait.

-Bill
Given what you said about 1) 4K, 2) WCG, 3) HDR (HDR+/-, DV), shouldn't we suspect if those were implemented correctly (big IF currently) that Darbee would be expected to have less of a benefit than in the past?

Mike
Operon likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #51 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 03:34 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,425
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4576 Post(s)
Liked: 4416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Given what you said about 1) 4K, 2) WCG, 3) HDR (HDR+/-, DV), shouldn't we suspect if those were implemented correctly (big IF currently) that Darbee would be expected to have less of a benefit than in the past?

Mike
Yes, although without seeing it combined with those things, I'm just speculating. I think we need a lot of experience with the new technology, and the studios have to start producing a consistent product, before we could evaluate yet another factor like Darbee.

-Bill
Mike_WI likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #52 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 3,450
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Yes, although without seeing it combined with those things, I'm just speculating. I think we need a lot of experience with the new technology, and the studios have to start producing a consistent product, before we could evaluate yet another factor like Darbee.

-Bill
Right. By the time HDR/HDR+/DV is starting to get figured out HDMI 2.1c will mess it up.

Mike

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Mike_WI is offline  
post #53 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,226
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Given what you said about 1) 4K, 2) WCG, 3) HDR (HDR+/-, DV), shouldn't we suspect if those were implemented correctly (big IF currently) that Darbee would be expected to have less of a benefit than in the past?

Mike
Until people saw what Darbee did at 1080p the general assumption was that it was going to be a big nothing.

We've simply got no idea what a "4K Darbee" might do. It doesn't exist yet, and the early implementations are likely going to require expensive processor power. So it's all just guesswork at this point whether it will be good, and whether it will be worth the cost.

I'm putting Darbee out into the far future in my mind, along with 4K/3D and 8K. It's simply not worth worrying about for now.
--Bob
Mike_WI likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #54 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you want to hear the unmodified quality of the XLR outs of the OPPO 205 you should configure your Marantz to "pass through" the Analog input -- with no re-digitizing and no use of the DACS in the Marantz.
--Bob
I am rather new to this and want to run my Onkyo ND-S1 media transporter through the 205 to utilize it's DAC. Based on what you wrote I will also need to set analog pass through on my Denon X6300 to bypass the internal DAC. Thanks in advance the information I have learned here has been invaluable.

Denon X6300H, Martin Logan Motion-front/Center/surround speakers, 4 Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800-height speakers, Niles SW12, Polk Audio PSW125, Oppo UDP-205, Onkyo ND-S1, Samsung 65" HU8500 w/Evolution kit, Monster HTPS 7000
Tr808/Dnice is offline  
post #55 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Operon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you are using a Windows computer to connect to the USB DAC Input of the UDP-205, you can get the needed driver from the Support page for OPPO's Sonica DAC here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-da...c-Support.aspx

I've put a message in to OPPO that they need to get that info on the new Support page for the UDP-205 as well.

-----------------------------

If you are using a Mac computer instead, no driver installation is needed.
--Bob
And Linux??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Right. By the time HDR/HDR+/DV is starting to get figured out HDMI 2.1c will mess it up.

Mike
Sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Until people saw what Darbee did at 1080p the general assumption was that it was going to be a big nothing.

We've simply got no idea what a "4K Darbee" might do. It doesn't exist yet, and the early implementations are likely going to require expensive processor power. So it's all just guesswork at this point whether it will be good, and whether it will be worth the cost.

I'm putting Darbee out into the far future in my mind, along with 4K/3D and 8K. It's simply not worth worrying about for now.
--Bob
Considering the myriad of HDR schemes out there those Darbee enthusiasts will be holding their collective breaths for a very, very long time. On the other hand I suspect Darbee could issue a half-assed transform and there'd be some whining and bellyaching, demanding that Oppo integrate it or lining up to buy the stand-alone unit.

Don't you just wish HDMI would crawl off to some darkened corner and die a sad, lonely death?
Operon is offline  
post #56 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.SoftDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,553
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Olson View Post
I've been running my 205 on repeat all day today and decided to plug in my cans. I had the SACD of Holst's Planets on and it sounded great. Easily drove my HD600s to ample volume and it was very clean sounding.
That's sounds good. Have you used a headphone amp in the past and how would you say it compares to the Oppo?

Really looking forward to putting this unit thru it's analog and headphone options. The picture quality is going to be harder to compare as my Panasonic is no slouch. A shame the Oppo is going in the secondary system as I require the phone amp and analog in the bedroom.

Rick
Mr.SoftDome is offline  
post #57 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,226
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
^ It probably won't be much longer until OPPO removes the restriction, and you can buy 2.


--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #58 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Cliff Olson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post
That's sounds good. Have you used a headphone amp in the past and how would you say it compares to the Oppo?

Really looking forward to putting this unit thru it's analog and headphone options. The picture quality is going to be harder to compare as my Panasonic is no slouch. A shame the Oppo is going in the secondary system as I require the phone amp and analog in the bedroom.

Rick
Hi Rick. I normally edit vinyl rips with the HD600s on my computer setup. It consists of a Schiit Mani2 Multi-bit DAC and a Schiit Valhalla II tube amp with stock tubes and in high gain mode (fed via a TOSLINK cable). I cranked a few songs off of The Who's Tommy (MFSL CD). Overall, I liked the sound through the 205 better. The only flaw would be in the low end. Bass guitar was sweet, but they just didn't possess kick drum slam like the Schiit gear can. But the smoother highs made up for it, IMO. These headphones aren't the easiest to power.
Cliff Olson is offline  
post #59 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:25 PM
Member
 
jaredmmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 40
OPPO UDP-205 First Lap around the Track

Greetings,

Setup was a breeze. As soon as the WiFi 802.11ac was connected, a pop up for a firmware update came up and installed like a champ. Connection to my home network worked flawlessly. At first it would only read my iTunes music folder etc. After sharing my secondary hard drive which has a music folder of 50k+ songs in MP3&4 formats I was able to access it upon logging on with my user name and password from the 205. Again, painless. Dropped some music folders onto a USB thumb drive and it too worked as smooth as butter. Tried music on my AppleTV (hooked up by HDMI) and it is seamless. The network and USB drive work well although visually and for search ability the AppleTV is king. Of course the CD works too. I have a high end RCA cable and USB DAC cable arriving tomorrow and will try those in two channel mode with the built in DAC’s to see how those work in some different setups. I will say that the headphone jack and Bose headphones are outer planet stuff, they rock.

Observations:
Played a 4k Ultra HD version of Mad Max Fury Road and it suggested I play a Blu-ray version for better results since my TV is only 1080p. Played the 4k disk anyway which worked, then tried the Blu-ray version which was much better visually.

When playing music CD's the 205 displays the track type (CDDA) and channel type (44.1k 16b) although on the network and thumb drive it just shows the file.

Songs purchased directly from iTunes do not show up on the network connection (it's an Apple thing, not OPPO) although they do show up when surfing the AppleTV.

My Pioneer Elite SC-97 AV Receiver defaults to the native format coming from the 205 through "auto surround" although when the "extended stereo" is selected, it plays every speaker it the setup and rocks the joint like no tomorrow.

The Logitech Harmony Elite recognized the 203 although not the 205 during setup. Regardless it let me setup and name the 205 and manually configure it witch worked to perfection.

This thing is a beast! I'm sure the 203 is fine for movie goers wanting Dolby Atmos. With the 205 I get my Dolby Atmos movie fix and my audiophile music fix at a quality level second to none. Those who buy a 203 ($550) and then decide they want high res audio can add an OPPO Sonica DAC for $800. Personally for $50 less, I have both in a single unit. This is my first OPPO and I am glad I waited. When the day comes to upgrade my 1080p TV to 4k, I'll be a fat cat!!

My setup consists of:
· Pioneer Elite 810W SC-97 9.2 CH
· Integra ADM-20.4 2 Channel Amplifier
· Panamax M5400-PM Line Cleaner and Surge Protector
· DirecTV Genie HD DVR
· OPPO UDP-205
· AppleTV 4th Generation
· Sony PS4
· Nintendo Wii U
· Mitsubishi DLP WD-73733 HDTV
· Logitech Harmony Elite All in One Remote
· 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup
o Two Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
o Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
o Two Klipsch Reference Subwoofers R-115SW
o Four Klipsch Quintet III (surround and back surround)
o Four Klipsch CDT-5800-C II in-ceiling (Atmos)

Attached are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.


Cheers,

Jared
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OPPO 205.pdf (918.9 KB, 689 views)
mbroadus and Juha Tanskanen like this.

Last edited by jaredmmyers; 04-23-2017 at 09:45 PM.
jaredmmyers is offline  
post #60 of 6800 Old 04-23-2017, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pres2play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,001
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 393
The 205 and 203 have the same video performance, even if the 205 has separate power for analog and digital circuits? Wouldn't video be cleaner/sharper on the 205, at least when using the Analog out?
Pres2play is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off