Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 218 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4129Likes

post #6511 of 6861 Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Doubtful that it has anything to do with the disc, it just happened to crap out at that time. They'll get it back to you in a jiffy.
Well, that is what they said also, however it was a strange coincidence I think! I have of course also tried the disc in my pc drive, and there both sides played flawlesly!
If it needs to go back, it will go back to be serviced, of course, I just thaught I'd ask inhere also, just in case some person indeed had some suggestion I hadnt tried out yet!
I have also contacted the folkes in the UK I baught it from to hear if I should send it directly to Oppo UK or back to the UK webshop. I am also planning on calling th folkes who distributed Oppo here in Denmark to see if they'll take a look at it, so that it dont need to go abroad.

AgHowever, whilst planing on sending it out, I am still open to any suggestions from people inhere. I'd be sorry to had it sent out just to lirn that it could have been cured by various button presses/sequences.

All the best from Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6512 of 6861 Old 03-26-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1
is these player really worth 3-4k smh!
post #6513 of 6861 Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentinnw2 View Post
Yes, if that's what people are willing to pay for it. It's a discontinued product, no more will be made. Price is now based on scarcity more than anything else. If you want one, you have to buy one from someone who has one and it's worth to you is whatever you want to pay for it but if others are prepared to pay more then it will sell to others and they become the ones determining its value.

If you don't want to pay the price being asked, then buy a currently available product for a lot less. It's your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6514 of 6861 Old 03-27-2019, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Since updating my 205 with the latest firmware via the internet it will no longer play cd's or sacd's.
Also if the draw is left open when you turn the player off it no longer shuts the draw first. I have reset the player several times. Has anybody else had these problems? It was working normally before. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.
post #6515 of 6861 Old 03-27-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Try re-installing the firmware using the USB upgrade method then do a full Reset Factory Defaults (Device Setup). Turn off the player, remove the power cable, then reconnect it and see if you have the same issues.
post #6516 of 6861 Old 03-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

No, it's actually really worth the $1,299 the original mfsrp.

Though your talking about second hand market prices now. It's worth what you pay for it and what someone is willing to pay for it. Prices are going for around $2,000 used and $3,000 new on average.

Best gauge is to go by original mfsrp and how much extra your paying for it second hand. If it's $1,000 more than original mfsrp it's a fair enough price I guess at this point since it's discontinued.

If you want this player and missed out, be ready to pay up it's the only way to buy it and no seller is going to let it go cheap since they would have to pay up to ever buy one back themselves.

Really though unless your into SACD's and need a good universal player your best bet for the money would be the Panasonic UB9000. $999 mfsrp.

Last edited by coffeecup45; 03-27-2019 at 04:48 PM.
post #6517 of 6861 Old 03-27-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post
No, it's actually really worth the $1,299 the original mfsrp.

Though your talking about second hand market prices now. It's worth what you pay for it and what someone is willing to pay for it. Prices are going for around $2,000 used and $3,000 new on average.

Best gauge is to go by original mfsrp and how much extra your paying for it second hand. If it's $1,000 more than original mfsrp it's a fair enough price I guess at this point since it's discontinued.

If you want this player and missed out, be ready to pay up it's the only way to buy it and no seller is going to let it go cheap since they would have to pay up to ever buy one back themselves.

Really though unless your into SACD's and need a good universal player your best bet for the money would be the Panasonic UB9000. $999 mfsrp.
what is SACD?
post #6518 of 6861 Old 03-27-2019, 06:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4610 Post(s)
Liked: 4443
Quote:
what is SACD?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacd

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6519 of 6861 Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 3410
Quote:
what is SACD?
Elizabeth... This is the big one !

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b4/2e...87b89f1f0a.jpg
chili555 and hernanu like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6520 of 6861 Old 03-27-2019, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoak View Post
Since updating my 205 with the latest firmware via the internet it will no longer play cd's or sacd's.
Also if the draw is left open when you turn the player off it no longer shuts the draw first. I have reset the player several times. Has anybody else had these problems? It was working normally before. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Try re-installing the firmware using the USB upgrade method then do a full Reset Factory Defaults (Device Setup). Turn off the player, remove the power cable, then reconnect it and see if you have the same issues.
You may only need to do the part where you pull the plug, I'd try that first.
post #6521 of 6861 Old 03-28-2019, 02:22 AM

I have done a full factory reset several times and pulled the mains plug but it makes no difference. When you insert a cd or sacd it does display what it is supposed to play but then stops.
post #6522 of 6861 Old 03-28-2019, 06:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoak View Post
I have done a full factory reset several times and pulled the mains plug but it makes no difference. When you insert a cd or sacd it does display what it is supposed to play but then stops.
Just to check the obvious, do you have Auto Play enabled in settings? If not, inserting the CD or SACD will simply load the disc, but not also start it playing. You need to press the Play button on the Remote or Front Panel to get the disc to start playing.

With Setup > Playback Setup > Auto Play Mode set to ON, the disc would also start playing when you close the tray.

--------------------------

If you are still having the problem with the open tray remaining open when you press Off button, despite the Reset and full power cycle (plug pulled), then the next step would be a re-install of the firmware as recommended above.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6523 of 6861 Old 03-28-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 2088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Take a seat Bill, breathing into a paper bag might help...
Bill Mac likes this.
post #6524 of 6861 Old 03-28-2019, 10:13 AM

We seem to have solved the problem. After reinstalling the firmware the problem still remained & finally we traced the fault to a new HDMI lead which had been working ok on the previous software which is why we did not consider it. Thanks everyone for your input much appreciated.
post #6525 of 6861 Old 03-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 70
My display is an LG B6P. The 205 is connected through a Marantz 8802A set to pass through.
After installing the latest firmware & doing a factory reset on the 205, I cannot get a display from the Oppo unless I either turn HDMI Deep Color off on the B6P OR insert a 1080p disc. Unfortunately, I don't remember the Video Output settings that I had on the 205 before updating and, like a dummy, I didn't take note of them. Everything is set to Auto right now.

No issues with my either of my 2 Apple TV 4K's displaying HDR through the same HDMI.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
LG 65 B6P & EF9500
post #6526 of 6861 Old 03-29-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
My display is an LG B6P. The 205 is connected through a Marantz 8802A set to pass through.
After installing the latest firmware & doing a factory reset on the 205, I cannot get a display from the Oppo unless I either turn HDMI Deep Color off on the B6P OR insert a 1080p disc. Unfortunately, I don't remember the Video Output settings that I had on the 205 before updating and, like a dummy, I didn't take note of them. Everything is set to Auto right now.

No issues with my either of my 2 Apple TV 4K's displaying HDR through the same HDMI.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance!
The first suggestion is that before you do your next firmware upgrade:
-Save your settings.
-Set-up> Device setup> Settings management> Backup settings. You will need to have a thumbdrive inserted into one of the usb ports.
-Do the firmware upgrade by network or usb.
- After the firmware upgrade go back in and Reset to >Factory defaults.
-Power cycle.
-Go back into settings and >Restore settings.

For now, it sounds like your video settings are messed up. Is it set to 1080p instead of 4K? Perhaps someone with your model TV can help. Auto often works.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #6527 of 6861 Old 03-30-2019, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It was Custom Resolution/UHD Auto setting I believe.
Settings saved this time. Thanks.

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
LG 65 B6P & EF9500
post #6528 of 6861 Old 04-02-2019, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Oppo UDP-205 handshake issue

Hello,
This is first post and thread. I apologize if this has been covered but I could not find anything on this.

As the title says, I have a handshake issue between Oppo UDP205 and Rotel RSP1582 surround processor and Sony X900F Series 85" HDR UHD TV. If I do not turn these components in a specific order, I either do not get Rotel processor to detect sound or the Sony TV to get picture.

I need have Oppo playing a disc before turning on Rotel processor and then the TV to get sound and picture all working.
If I turn Rotel on first and then Oppo and then TV, I may get sound but no picture.
If I turn on Rotel first and then TV and then Oppo, I will get picture but no sound.
If I turn TV on first and then Rotel and then Oppo, no picture but sound.

Funny thing is, Rotel worked perfectly with Sony UBP-X1000ES HDR UHD Blu-ray Disc Player and my Pioneer Kuro 1080P TV. It also worked with my previous setup where I used Oppo BDP105 with the Pioneer Kuro TV. But then I upgraded my home theater to the new Sony X900F TV and Oppo UDP205. Both units were purchased brand new so I am not expecting any issue with them.

Oppo UDP 205 does not have issue with Marantz 8805 surround processor and Sony X900F. I tried that setup and it worked flawlessly. Which then tells me Rotel is the culprit. But as stated below, Rotel RSP1582 had no issue with the other units. So only explanation I have is Oppo UDP205 has a hand shake problem with Rotel RSP 1582.

With this assumption, I called Rotel and they thought it could be the HDR setup in my TV. That does not make any sense since I think the issue is not the TV. I also called Oppo and they also thought it was a handshake issue between Oppo 205 and Sony X900F since the Sony TV did not have any issue with Sony X1000ES player and that's because they both are from the same manufacturer. Oppo agreed there may be a handshake issue between devices but did not offer any solution. I used two different units of Rotel RSP1582 and the same issue persists. Now I am stuck with this $3500 processor and $2700 (yes, I had to pay that much to get one new) Oppo 205 4K player and cannot even use it without going through this pain. Even switching from CD input to Video-1 input in Rotel does not detect sound unless I restart my Oppo player.

I am in a big pickle and don't know what to do here. Did anyone else run into similar issue? Can anyone help?
post #6529 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 06:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
Hello,
This is first post and thread. I apologize if this has been covered but I could not find anything on this.

As the title says, I have a handshake issue between Oppo UDP205 and Rotel RSP1582 surround processor and Sony X900F Series 85" HDR UHD TV. If I do not turn these components in a specific order, I either do not get Rotel processor to detect sound or the Sony TV to get picture.

I need have Oppo playing a disc before turning on Rotel processor and then the TV to get sound and picture all working.
If I turn Rotel on first and then Oppo and then TV, I may get sound but no picture.
If I turn on Rotel first and then TV and then Oppo, I will get picture but no sound.
If I turn TV on first and then Rotel and then Oppo, no picture but sound.

Funny thing is, Rotel worked perfectly with Sony UBP-X1000ES HDR UHD Blu-ray Disc Player and my Pioneer Kuro 1080P TV. It also worked with my previous setup where I used Oppo BDP105 with the Pioneer Kuro TV. But then I upgraded my home theater to the new Sony X900F TV and Oppo UDP205. Both units were purchased brand new so I am not expecting any issue with them.

Oppo UDP 205 does not have issue with Marantz 8805 surround processor and Sony X900F. I tried that setup and it worked flawlessly. Which then tells me Rotel is the culprit. But as stated below, Rotel RSP1582 had no issue with the other units. So only explanation I have is Oppo UDP205 has a hand shake problem with Rotel RSP 1582.

With this assumption, I called Rotel and they thought it could be the HDR setup in my TV. That does not make any sense since I think the issue is not the TV. I also called Oppo and they also thought it was a handshake issue between Oppo 205 and Sony X900F since the Sony TV did not have any issue with Sony X1000ES player and that's because they both are from the same manufacturer. Oppo agreed there may be a handshake issue between devices but did not offer any solution. I used two different units of Rotel RSP1582 and the same issue persists. Now I am stuck with this $3500 processor and $2700 (yes, I had to pay that much to get one new) Oppo 205 4K player and cannot even use it without going through this pain. Even switching from CD input to Video-1 input in Rotel does not detect sound unless I restart my Oppo player.

I am in a big pickle and don't know what to do here. Did anyone else run into similar issue? Can anyone help?
Start by making sure you are using HDMI "Premium Certified" cables for *ALL* of your HDMI connections. These need not be expensive. For more info see my Blog post here:

HDMI "Premium Certified" Cables

NOTE: The 6 foot HDMI cable OPPO includes with the 205 is a Premium Certified cable. The fancy label will be found on the plastic bag that contains the cable.

Next, make sure you are leaving enough time between the power-ups so that each device has a chance to fully wake up before you power up the next device.

The normal, recommended order of power-ups is in reverse order of the signal flow. So TV, then wait, then AVR, then wait, then OPPO.

If you still have the problem you describe despite this advice, then try this. Connect Main HDMI out of the OPPO directly to your TV. Connect Audio HDMI out of the OPPO to your Rotel. Physically disconnect any HDMI connection between the Rotel and the TV. Test again.

If that works, and if you still want the Rotel *ALSO* connected to the TV, add that back in and test again -- but still using the input on the TV that is connected directly to the OPPO, not the one you just added back between the Rotel and the TV. If the problem returns with that extra connection in place see my blog post here for a likely explanation and for advice concerning how to deal with Zombie HDMI connections:

Quick Tip: Avoiding HDMI Topology Problems, OR Loops, Dual Paths, and ZOMBIES!

--Bob
Madmax67 likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6530 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply.

I am using AQ Carbon HDMIs which I bought from Magnolia along with the TV. I'm sure these are certified HDMI cables. So that's checked.

I also tried going direct from Oppo to TV for the video signal and Oppo to Rotel for the audio. Same issue persisted (meaning Rotel could not detect the sound unless I turned off Oppo and then on again). If it didn't then I would have connected TV ARC back to Rotel to get audio for my direct TV.

Point to note - Sony TV does not have any issue detecting Direct TV signal since it's connected directly to the cable box. So the TV has no issue detecting signal from other units as long as it's NOT coming through Rotel.

I have tried all sorts of sequence (to turn the components on); reverse order should've been one of them. But I will try again tonight and see what happens. However, I am not sure while trying these different sequence, I have waited long enough to wake up all channels as you mentioned. I did not think that would be an issue in this day and age. So I will have to check that too.

But my question is, why would we have to put up with this? I know you are not the manufacturer, but the question still stands. After spending this much dough for these 3 components, one would think they work seamlessly with each other. And why don't I get the same issue with Marantz 8805? And my Oppo 105 did not face this issue with the same Rotel processor either which leads me to believe it's an issue between Oppo 205 and Rotel 1582. And neither manufacturer are willing and able to help with any firmware update. This is baffling and not what I'd expect from companies like them.
post #6531 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 AM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Steriac,
Are you using ARC? So turning on your TV will turn on the Rotel? Or are you turning everything on manually?

To simplify things, what happens if you leave the Oppo off? Does everything work perfectly? What about NOT using ARC?

I googled your DSP and saw this: "Rotel doesn't specify if the RSP-1582 supports full 18.2 Gbps HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 but we're guessing it doesn't since the silicon is just now becoming available meaning we probably won't see such products surface till the end of 2015 the earliest." Any chance your Oppo's video output is set to Auto? When firing up the Oppo before your Rotel, it might be detecting that your shiny new TV is capable of more than what your DSP can handle. Try temporarily forcing the Oppo to output 1080p only and see what happens. Also connect the Oppo to the Rotel, not to the TV... your TV and Oppo supports newer video formats than what your Rotel can handle (like [email protected], etc).

I had a similar issue to yours, but my issue was the old TV. My Oppo would see my shiny new Marantz and output a signal my old TV could not handle -- so, sound but no picture. Once I "dumbed down" the Oppo, it worked perfectly.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #6532 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply.

I am using AQ Carbon HDMIs which I bought from Magnolia along with the TV. I'm sure these are certified HDMI cables. So that's checked.

I also tried going direct from Oppo to TV for the video signal and Oppo to Rotel for the audio. Same issue persisted (meaning Rotel could not detect the sound unless I turned off Oppo and then on again). If it didn't then I would have connected TV ARC back to Rotel to get audio for my direct TV.

Point to note - Sony TV does not have any issue detecting Direct TV signal since it's connected directly to the cable box. So the TV has no issue detecting signal from other units as long as it's NOT coming through Rotel.

I have tried all sorts of sequence (to turn the components on); reverse order should've been one of them. But I will try again tonight and see what happens. However, I am not sure while trying these different sequence, I have waited long enough to wake up all channels as you mentioned. I did not think that would be an issue in this day and age. So I will have to check that too.

But my question is, why would we have to put up with this? I know you are not the manufacturer, but the question still stands. After spending this much dough for these 3 components, one would think they work seamlessly with each other. And why don't I get the same issue with Marantz 8805? And my Oppo 105 did not face this issue with the same Rotel processor either which leads me to believe it's an issue between Oppo 205 and Rotel 1582. And neither manufacturer are willing and able to help with any firmware update. This is baffling and not what I'd expect from companies like them.
You may want to double check on this. the Carbon web site doesn't identify the cables as Certified Premium High Speed, which has been checked to make sure it can handle the required bandwidth. If you look on the Monoprice site, for example, there are some that are certified and carry a picture of the certification:

Spoiler!
Madmax67 likes this.
post #6533 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
There have been reports of under-performing Audioquest HDMI cables for about as long as 18Gbps signals have been around. They are NOT certified premium, just obscenely over-priced.
chili555 and ti-triodes like this.
post #6534 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Seriously!

This is what Best Buy website says on Carbon HDMI:
"High-speed data capacity: This AudioQuest HDMI cable exceeds the requirements for all possible HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 data streams, including 4K UHD, HDR, and Blu-ray Ultra HD. Active frequency equalization enables 18 Gbps over long distances."

But yes, nowhere it says Certified Premium High Speed. Is that really my issue? How embarrassing!
post #6535 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Seriously!

"High-speed data capacity: This AudioQuest HDMI cable exceeds the requirements for all possible HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 data streams, including 4K UHD, HDR, and Blu-ray Ultra HD. Active frequency equalization enables 18 Gbps over long distances."

But yes, nowhere it says Certified Premium High Speed. Is that really my issue? How embarrassing!
Do you still have the cable that came with the 205? You might just switch it out if you can to see if that helps..... But yeah, it's the best (and most sensible) place to start. Kind of sucks, but maybe if this is the issue you can return those AQ cables.
post #6536 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Seriously!

Well, it's not guaranteed to be, but definitely worth checking as rdgrimes says.

I'm using the Monoprice cables now, and they have performed well.
post #6537 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 11:58 AM

I was going to go with AQ Cinnamon but the Magnolia sales person swayed me with really good price on the Carbon. Not that I know Cinnamon is certified, but I would be lot less for those. What a farce!
post #6538 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 12:07 PM

I do have the 205 cable still untouched. I will use it to test tonight. But that will only replace the cable between Oppo and Rotel processor. Do I need the same certified HDMI from Rotel to Sony TV? I think not since my hunch is the issue lies within the connection between Oppo and Rotel. What do you think?
post #6539 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was going to go with AQ Cinnamon but the Magnolia sales person swayed me with really good price on the Carbon. Not that I know Cinnamon is certified, but I would be lot less for those. What a farce!
The certification means that the cables involved have been tested by an independent lab at HDMI.org and certified to perform at the expected speeds, with a list of resolutions, etc.

If you test certified cables and they fix the issue, then as noted, returning them makes it painless (sorta).
blu ray boy likes this.
post #6540 of 6861 Old 04-03-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do have the 205 cable still untouched. I will use it to test tonight. But that will only replace the cable between Oppo and Rotel processor. Do I need the same certified HDMI from Rotel to Sony TV? I think not since my hunch is the issue lies within the connection between Oppo and Rotel. What do you think?
The OPPO -> rotel audio path may not need it, but since the HDMI protocol is end to end, I just replaced all cables with cerftified (see link) just to make sure.

I'm not promoting monoprice, btw - any other good manufacturer that displays the certified logo is good to go. Blue Jeans Cable, etc...
blu ray boy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page