Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4128Likes

post #6541 of 6848 Old 04-03-2019, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
The OPPO -> rotel audio path may not need it, but since the HDMI protocol is end to end, I just replaced all cables with cerftified (see link) just to make sure.

I'm not promoting monoprice, btw - any other good manufacturer that displays the certified logo is good to go. Blue Jeans Cable, etc...
+1
although there are not that many certified cables out there to choose from unfortunately. There are some on the web to be found at the online retailers. The big box stores will steer you towards the more expensive cables but they are almost always not worth the premium paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 6848 Old 04-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks hernanu.

I won't be able to return the cables as I have been struggling with them since October of last year. So I cannot wait to see what happens with Certified cables. I even bought Marantz 8805 (which is still within 45 day return period) thinking Rotel had to go. But I love Rotel's 2 channel sound stage. It's a tough call to make.
post #6543 of 6848 Old 04-03-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
The OPPO -> rotel audio path may not need it, but since the HDMI protocol is end to end, I just replaced all cables with cerftified (see link) just to make sure.

I'm not promoting monoprice, btw - any other good manufacturer that displays the certified logo is good to go. Blue Jeans Cable, etc...
Thanks hernanu.

I won't be able to return the cables as I have been struggling with them since October of last year. So I cannot wait to see what happens with Certified cables. I even bought Marantz 8805 (which is still within 45 day return period) thinking Rotel had to go. But I love Rotel's 2 channel sound stage. It's a tough call to make.
hernanu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6544 of 6848 Old 04-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5805 Post(s)
Liked: 8276
^ HDMI operates pretty much continuously on the edge of failure. The idea is to do what you can to keep the odds ever in your favor. And these days that starts with making sure all your HDMI cables are Premium Certified.

Even if this doesn’t cure your problem, or cure it entirely, it is still the right first step.
—Bob
RichB, Bill Mac and Greg TB like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6545 of 6848 Old 04-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ HDMI operates pretty much continuously on the edge of failure. The idea is to do what you can to keep the odds ever in your favor. And these days that starts with making sure all your HDMI cables are Premium Certified.

Even if this doesn’t cure your problem, or cure it entirely, it is still the right first step.
—Bob
Thanks again Bob.

I tried the reverse sequence to turn on my components and gave each unit ample time to wake up. And it worked every time. I suppose I can live with that for now.

But then I tried the other suggestion and I switched AQ Carbon with Oppo HDMI to connect Oppo to Rotel and used other random sequences and it did not help. I have the same issue. I do not have a long enough certified HDMI to connect Rotel to the TV or Oppo to the TV to test out HDMI end to end theory. Ordered one from Monoprice but may just stop by at Best Buy tonight to see if they have one that I can use to prove the theory for now.

Last edited by Steriac; 04-04-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #6546 of 6848 Old 04-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
Steriac,
Are you using ARC? So turning on your TV will turn on the Rotel? Or are you turning everything on manually?

To simplify things, what happens if you leave the Oppo off? Does everything work perfectly? What about NOT using ARC?

I googled your DSP and saw this: "Rotel doesn't specify if the RSP-1582 supports full 18.2 Gbps HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 but we're guessing it doesn't since the silicon is just now becoming available meaning we probably won't see such products surface till the end of 2015 the earliest." Any chance your Oppo's video output is set to Auto? When firing up the Oppo before your Rotel, it might be detecting that your shiny new TV is capable of more than what your DSP can handle. Try temporarily forcing the Oppo to output 1080p only and see what happens. Also connect the Oppo to the Rotel, not to the TV... your TV and Oppo supports newer video formats than what your Rotel can handle (like [email protected], etc).

I had a similar issue to yours, but my issue was the old TV. My Oppo would see my shiny new Marantz and output a signal my old TV could not handle -- so, sound but no picture. Once I "dumbed down" the Oppo, it worked perfectly.
Hi DAK,
Sorry, I completely overlooked your message.

Here are my answers to your questions.

- I am using ARC but turning on TV does not turn on Rotel processor for me. I am not sure if I need to change the setting on the TV or the Rotel. And yes, I do turn things manually. I was going to use macro in a Logitech remote but since I have been having this handshake issue, it sounded like a bad idea. My usual manual sequence is to put in a disc in Oppo and then turn on Rotel and then the TV. But that's most of the time a hit or miss. More hit than miss though.

- I did not understand your question of leaving Oppo turned off. Then I would not have a source to get video or audio from, right?

- Here are my Oppo video settings:
HDR: Auto
Dolby Vision: Auto
Output Resolution: Source Direct
Custom Resolution: UHD Auto
Someone suggested I need to have HDMI CEC: on in Device Setup. So that's also on.

- I changed the Custom Resolution to 1080P in my Oppo. That also changed the HDR to Custom from Auto. With this setting, I turned on my devices or units in a different sequences and the issue exists; video but no audio.
Then I tried switching Custom Resolution to UHD Auto from 1080P and I get this message from Oppo, "The connected HDMI device does not support 4kx2k input signal". What the heck does that mean when Rotel has a 4k pass through? Is this because I am using a non Certified High Speed HDMI (AQ Carbon) or is that because Rotel does not have the necessary HDR hardware needed?
To confirm, I switched AQ HDMI to Oppo supplied certified HDMI and tried switching Custom Resolution to UHD Auto from 1080P and I do no get the same message. When I switch the cable back to AQ Carbon from Oppo cable again and repeat the same action, this time I do not get the message. So may be it was a one time glitch? I don't know.

Anyways, I don't know if this tells you anything, but I feel lost again.

Last edited by Steriac; 04-04-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #6547 of 6848 Old 04-06-2019, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have only had problems since I uploaded the latest firmware. The HDMI leads are not the problem. I also have the XLR's connected to my stereo pre-amp but the player still stops playing after identifying the disc it is playing Is it possible to revert to the previous firmware level?
post #6548 of 6848 Old 04-06-2019, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
You may want to double check on this. the Carbon web site doesn't identify the cables as Certified Premium High Speed, which has been checked to make sure it can handle the required bandwidth. If you look on the Monoprice site, for example, there are some that are certified and carry a picture of the certification:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There have been reports of under-performing Audioquest HDMI cables for about as long as 18Gbps signals have been around. They are NOT certified premium, just obscenely over-priced.
AudioQuest specifically states on their website:

All passive AudioQuest HDMI cables, up to and including lengths of 8 meters, exceed the 18Gbps requirement for 4K UltraHD, HDR, HDCP 2.2, Blu-ray UltraHD, 3D, and 4:4:4 Color, and can therefore transmit 100% of the data required for all of HDMI’s current features.

Meanwhile, our new Active HDMI variants of Pearl, Forest, and Cinnamon use Active Frequency Equalization to enable full 18Gbps/4K UltraHD performance from 10 to 15 meters.

Extending AudioQuest performance ever further, our latest Cherry Cola Hybrid Active Optical HDMI cable provides reliable 18Gbps/4K performance for distances up to 30m (100ft).

Last edited by kucharsk; 04-06-2019 at 03:50 AM.
post #6549 of 6848 Old 04-06-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoak View Post
I have only had problems since I uploaded the latest firmware. The HDMI leads are not the problem. I also have the XLR's connected to my stereo pre-amp but the player still stops playing after identifying the disc it is playing Is it possible to revert to the previous firmware level?
The only way to revert back to a previous firmware is if the present firmware is a beta version. If the latest version on your 205 is the most recent official version then you can not revert back to the previous version.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #6550 of 6848 Old 04-06-2019, 06:44 AM

Thanks Bill. I guess I will have to send the player back to Oppo for them to sort out.
post #6551 of 6848 Old 04-06-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoak View Post
Thanks Bill. I guess I will have to send the player back to Oppo for them to sort out.
If you haven't done these things, please try before sending back-
-Reset to factory defaults (should be done after each firmware upgrade). You can save your settings to a thumbdrive and reload them after resetting to factory defaults in Setup>Device>Settings Management.
-Clear Persistent Storage (also in Settings Management)
-Power cycle

If those steps don't work try a hard reset- remove power cord, press and hold power button for a while. Reattach cord and power on.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #6552 of 6848 Old 04-06-2019, 07:27 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
AudioQuest specifically states on their website:

All passive AudioQuest HDMI cables, up to and including lengths of 8 meters, exceed the 18Gbps requirement for 4K UltraHD, HDR, HDCP 2.2, Blu-ray UltraHD, 3D, and 4:4:4 Color, and can therefore transmit 100% of the data required for all of HDMI’s current features.

Meanwhile, our new Active HDMI variants of Pearl, Forest, and Cinnamon use Active Frequency Equalization to enable full 18Gbps/4K UltraHD performance from 10 to 15 meters.

Extending AudioQuest performance ever further, our latest Cherry Cola Hybrid Active Optical HDMI cable provides reliable 18Gbps/4K performance for distances up to 30m (100ft).
They can claim anything on their website. The reality is that their cables have failed tests that other cables have passed and the cables that have passed usually cost less too.
hernanu, deckarep, Greg TB and 1 others like this.
post #6553 of 6848 Old 04-06-2019, 09:03 AM

I have tried everything that has been suggested without success several times, thanks.
post #6554 of 6848 Old 04-06-2019, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question OPPO UDP-205 and iTunes?

There are two problems, one old, one new, and I sure could use some help!

I am using my OPPO 205 Network function to play mp3's from CD tracks imported into iTunes. The tracks are imported to iTunes onto a Windows 10 PC. They are played via Wi-Fi using Win10's Network and Sharing Center Media Streaming.

1) OLD: The OPPO lists each track on an album in ALPHABETICAL order. The only way I have found to get the tracks in the correct order is to use iTunes "Song Info" to RENAME each track with a number (e.g. 01 Magical Mystery Tour, 02 The Fool on the Hill, 03 Flying, 04 Blue Jay Way etc.) Then the OPPO sees and sorts by numerical value. Renaming each track is time consuming to say the least. Is there a simpler way than renaming each track to get the OPPO to play the track in the order they are listed on the album after they have been been imported into iTunes? (iTunes displays them in correct order before I rename them.)

2) NEW: Just recently the OPPO is not displaying iTune imports' Artist, Album, Genre when a track plays. This happens only on RECENTLY imported albums. (Older imports display fine as always.) When a track plays, the display shows "Artist [Unknown Artist]" "Album [Unknown Album]". I cannot find the artist or albums for these tracks in the OPPO's first display for Network Music, Artist or Album. The tracks all end up in the OPPO generated [Unknown Album]. They display fine in iTunes, just not on the OPPO.
I don't know if this is function of iTunes or something is amiss in the OPPO. The OPPO has the latest firmware, and I upgraded iTunes to the most recent version after the problem began, but the problem persists. Of course, I have tried re-importing, renaming the albums in iTunes, and even deleting and re-importing the albums.

Any help on either the OLD or NEW problems would be strongly appreciated. THANKS!!!
post #6555 of 6848 Old 04-07-2019, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
They can claim anything on their website. The reality is that their cables have failed tests that other cables have passed and the cables that have passed usually cost less too.
They also state it on their packaging and at retail.

Sure they can claim anything, but given they are widely sold and and I doubt they enjoy spending time in court, lying would be quite expensive for them.

If you have a cable that fails, they'll of course replace it; I know Monoprice has had a few "certified" cables fail in real life use as well, because things happen. The cable works as designed, but something in a particular cable fails.

If you want to use a different cable, feel free, but the original question was whether the AudioQuest cables could go 18 Gbps, and they do.
post #6556 of 6848 Old 04-07-2019, 03:29 AM

I have found the problem this time. I switched the HDMI lead into the other socket(audio only) and the player performed as it should. I also noticed that this socket is a lot tighter than the audio/video socket. I switched the cable back and the 205 performed ok. For good measure I tried an ultra HD bluray which also worked as it should. I have therefore concluded that the HDMI socket is the problem. Many thanks to all who tried to help, much appreciated.
post #6557 of 6848 Old 04-08-2019, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Really though unless your into SACD's and need a good universal player your best bet for the money would be the Panasonic UB9000. $999 mfsrp.

My 2 cents on this...

The Panasonic may be the only viable alternative now, but IMHO it is not a 100% replacement for the 205. The video may be equal (or maybe better), but the all-important audio section is lacking. In addition to flat-out no DVDA/SACD disc support at all, the AK DAC can't complete with the ESS PRO in the Oppo. There's also no headphone jack and most crucial for me....no HDMI input. With an all-analog Conrad-Johnson system, that's the only way can hook up an external 4k media player, or PS4 and get the Hi-Res sound out of it. Unfortuanately, they dropped one HDMI input, but the one they kept is fully current spec. That is the main reason why i waited patiently (or maybe not-so-patiently if you saw my posts on here...ahem) for a used 205 to get to a mortals pricing level. My suggestion: save the "Oppo 205" search on Hifishark and you'll see one come up for a reasonable cost eventually.

Speaking of headphone jacks: having Cambridge 751 and 752 prior, i never had one in a Blu-Ray player. Firstly, just how good is the headphone jack in the 205 compared to a standalone? If i hooked in something high-end like a Focal Utopia to the 205...am i going to be able to tap into its top-notch sound capability?

Second...see if i can word this right...is there a 205 option to force the headphone jack into 2ch? I play a lot of mutlichannel DSD and DTS and it sounds understandably odd through the jack when directly played. I can go into speaker config (i think anyway) and downsize it to 2ch and it sounds fine...but is there a way to have JUST the headphones play 2ch and the output to preamp stay Mch?

Last edited by scottm18; 04-08-2019 at 02:18 PM.
post #6558 of 6848 Old 04-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm18 View Post
. . . .
Second...see if i can word this right...is there a 205 option to force the headphone jack into 2ch? I play a lot of mutlichannel DSD and DTS and it sounds understandably odd through the jack when directly played. I can go into speaker config (i think anyway) and downsize it to 2ch and it sounds fine...but is there a way to have JUST the headphones play 2ch and the output to preamp stay Mch?
The output on the Headphones jack of the 205 is already a "Stereo" down mix with the LFE channel discarded, regardless of what you have specified in Speaker Configuration for the multi-channel Analog outs. I.e., it is the same thing you get on the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs with Stereo Output > DOWN-MIXED STEREO selected in Settings (as opposed to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT).

If that's not what you are getting, then check you have the up to date firmware in your 205, and try doing a Reset Factory Defaults in the player. If still no joy, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support.
--Bob
Bill Mac likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6559 of 6848 Old 04-09-2019, 10:09 AM

That's what i was thinking--i'll do a little more experimenting as i finally got some decent headphones to try.

I'm a little bit reticent to update the firmware because, well one of the reasons i was able to get it at a reasonable cost at not much over original cost--it's actually a Taiwanese unit. However, other than initial language being Mandarin (which was fun to switch), the only other difference is speaker distances being displayed in meters as opposed to feet. Of course for DVD it's the wrong region, but they merged everything for Blu-Ray so not an issue I dont think there--and there's always the Superdisc for DVD. I stream nearly 100% anyway--but i did just get Sammy's Adventure in 3D so I'll see if that plays.

The main thing i noticed though: the firmware has a "TW" on the end that I'm not quite sure will happen with an upgrade. It's one of the last production units so i don't think it's too far behind...think i'll leave well enough alone.
post #6560 of 6848 Old 04-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ That’s Taiwan localized firmware — the same thing you’ll need when you decide to update the firmware.
—Bob

post #6561 of 6848 Old 04-10-2019, 05:52 AM

TW firmware...

That’s Taiwan localized firmware — the same thing you’ll need when you decide to update the firmware.

Right...that's my concern. Sure the internet is the internet, but its likely to be a bit slow updating that TW version from the US. Maybe i should try to download it first and install via USB. However, I still need to recheck check/compare which version i DO have...

As for the one main region difference: i don't think there's any way to change meters to feet internally in the setup...it's just that designation based on the area.
post #6562 of 6848 Old 04-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm18 View Post
That’s Taiwan localized firmware — the same thing you’ll need when you decide to update the firmware.

Right...that's my concern. Sure the internet is the internet, but its likely to be a bit slow updating that TW version from the US. Maybe i should try to download it first and install via USB. However, I still need to recheck check/compare which version i DO have...

As for the one main region difference: i don't think there's any way to change meters to feet internally in the setup...it's just that designation based on the area.
The Taiwan version of the latest official firmware can be found on the support page for OPPO Digital's distributor in Taiwan:

http://www.oppodigital.com.tw/support.php?tab_id=1

--Bob

post #6563 of 6848 Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
- I did not understand your question of leaving Oppo turned off. Then I would not have a source to get video or audio from, right?
Sorry, I did not realize you did not have another video source feeding your TV; I assumed a tuner/cable box/DVR/etc. I was just wondering if you took the Oppo out of the equation, would the TV and Rotel play nice together. Sounds like "no".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
- Here are my Oppo video settings:
HDR: Auto
Dolby Vision: Auto
Output Resolution: Source Direct
Custom Resolution: UHD Auto
Someone suggested I need to have HDMI CEC: on in Device Setup. So that's also on.

- I changed the Custom Resolution to 1080P in my Oppo. That also changed the HDR to Custom from Auto. With this setting, I turned on my devices or units in a different sequences and the issue exists; video but no audio.
Then I tried switching Custom Resolution to UHD Auto from 1080P and I get this message from Oppo, "The connected HDMI device does not support 4kx2k input signal". What the heck does that mean when Rotel has a 4k pass through? Is this because I am using a non Certified High Speed HDMI (AQ Carbon) or is that because Rotel does not have the necessary HDR hardware needed?
To confirm, I switched AQ HDMI to Oppo supplied certified HDMI and tried switching Custom Resolution to UHD Auto from 1080P and I do no get the same message. When I switch the cable back to AQ Carbon from Oppo cable again and repeat the same action, this time I do not get the message. So may be it was a one time glitch? I don't know.

Anyways, I don't know if this tells you anything, but I feel lost again.
Did you try setting the Custom Resolution to "1080p" _AND_ the Output Resolution to "Custom"? If you only changed the Custom Resolution setting but not the actual Output setting, then the Oppo never output the custom setting. I was just suggesting this to dumb everything down to a format we know every component in the system could handle, then see if the issue was resolved. (The HDR stuff shouldn't figure into this issue, so you can leave it at Auto.)

Sorry for your frustration, as I mentioned before, my issue was similar but it was a video thing only. My Oppo seemed to sense that the device it was connected to (a new Marantz AVR) could accept 4K (which it could), but the TV downstream of the Marantz was only a 1080p TV. Your issue is different in that your TV should be able to handle more than what your Rotel can do (like [email protected]), so you want to make sure you don't output [email protected] video (if that is the actual problem).
post #6564 of 6848 Old 04-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I still have, as a backup, my Oppo 203. Love it but before they disappeared, I signed up for notification on newly available 205s from Oppo. Came up so I bought one. I run HDMI as well as RCA outputs into my Anthem MRX 1120. For the RCA, I feed a different input on the Anthem so I can restrict it to straight thru and no surround or processing by the Oppo. Everything seems to work well (I added a fan unit since it is in a cabinet and runs real hot) so I would guess, if it ain't broke, Don't fix it, meaning do not upgrade the Oppo 205 firmware period? I have heard from others that it does run hot (over 100F at the top surface). Is the update something that would fix this? I have had a lot of older class ab amps that NEVER ran this hot. What does the Oppo have inside that makes it runs so hot? The 203 is absolutely "heat free".

For music beside the Oppo for cd's, I use a Accuphase C-200 preamp to select some Nakamichi tape decks, a Dat deck, a Marantz SA8094 CD player and my SOTA turntable with Hanna low output moving coil. The Accuphase feeds rca inputs for Anthem rca input at input #6 , which is also set for no Anthem processing or surround sound. All that stuff goes direct so I do not change the sound character of the speakers. I don't have any balanced inputs or outputs to utilize them at the audio end. I actually have shielded audio cable that is quiet running 40 feet thru my attic from the back of the room where the audio components reside to the front where video stuff including screen are located.

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
post #6565 of 6848 Old 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM
DAK

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
I have had a lot of older class ab amps that NEVER ran this hot. What does the Oppo have inside that makes it runs so hot? The 203 is absolutely "heat free".
The 205 has a headphone amp, the 203 doesn't. If heat is a concern, set the headphone output volume to zero (the default is 75).

Last edited by DAK; 04-10-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #6566 of 6848 Old 04-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Oppo 205 headpphone volume control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post
The 205 has a headphone amp, the 203 doesn't. If heat is a concern, set the headphone output volume to zero (the default is 75).
I never used it.
Thanks. Just sort of surprised that with no load, the amp runs that hot.

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
post #6567 of 6848 Old 04-12-2019, 04:55 PM

Liked: 0
UDP-205 as preamp

My question is with the use of the UDP-205 as a preamp. I have used mine as a preamp for a number of months. One thing I notice though is that the volume is up in the low 80's on the Oppo volume bar. That does not leave me a lot of room to go higher. I know that I have plenty of power in my 7 channel NAD M25 amp at 170W/channel. Using the Oppo as a preamp, is it limiting how loud I can play something since there appears to be getting close to maximum volume of 100. Would I have the same volume issue if I had a separate preamp with a volume control?
post #6568 of 6848 Old 04-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1906 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicard01 View Post
My question is with the use of the UDP-205 as a preamp. I have used mine as a preamp for a number of months. One thing I notice though is that the volume is up in the low 80's on the Oppo volume bar. That does not leave me a lot of room to go higher. I know that I have plenty of power in my 7 channel NAD M25 amp at 170W/channel. Using the Oppo as a preamp, is it limiting how loud I can play something since there appears to be getting close to maximum volume of 100. Would I have the same volume issue if I had a separate preamp with a volume control?
That's not a bad volume for a digital volume control. I believe Oppo recommended over 70%.
You should have at least 10 dB left. Is it loud enough?

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #6569 of 6848 Old 04-12-2019, 06:54 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
That's not a bad volume for a digital volume control. I believe Oppo recommended over 70%.
You should have at least 10 dB left. Is it loud enough?

- Rich
It is loud enough now. I was just curious about the amount of volume increase I have left compared to a dedicated pre amp.
post #6570 of 6848 Old 04-12-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3822 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Quote:
Quote:
It is loud enough now. I was just curious about the amount of volume increase I have left compared to a dedicated pre amp.
Its relative to the input voltage at the amp. I use a 105 to drive a pair of monoblocks, and I find that I get considerably higher output from the amps using balanced inputs vs unbalanced. Your NAD lacks balanced inputs so you can't compare. My monoblocks run at about 50% on unbalanced and about 30% on balanced from the 105, producing more or less equal output each way.

To answer you question, you may well get higher final output by placing a pre-amp between the 2. But you shouldn't assume that you'll also get improved audio quality, in fact maybe the opposite.
Even at 100% volume on the 205, you're not hurting anything, just outputting the signal with zero attenuation. I'd say you're in a better position as is, than if you increase the input into the amp to the point where it starts clipping. IOW, if you've got all the headroom you want, leave it alone.
RichB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page