Originally Posted by wowthatsabigscreen
New question: I see the OPPO has the option of Speaker Configuration, and I can make changes to the individual speakers such as +1.5dB LEVEL to the FL speaker, and -0.5dB to the Center speaker. And I can change the crossover point.
I can do the same thing in the Yamaha using YPAO.
So let's say I'm playing music from the OPPO using Analog OUT to my Yamaha RX-A3060 which is set to Pure Direct so that the OPPO DAC is being used. So far, so good.
But now I disable Pure Direct and I'm using the Yamaha to decode, and also to process the OPPO input in other ways. Do I hear a COMBINATION of the OPPO Speaker Configuration settings and the Yamaha YPAO settings? That would be no good!
Yes *IF, AND ONLY IF* you are still listening on the multi-channel Analog outs of the OPPO. And you are right, that's not good.
If you decide to enable processing of multi-channel Analog input in the Yamaha, then you want to *DISABLE* Speaker Configuration processing in the OPPO. To do that:
1) Wire the full set of multi-channel outs to the Yamaha -- likely 7.1, but 5.1 if the Yamaha only has 5.1 input.
2) In Speaker Configuration in the OPPO, set Down-Mix to match what you just wired (7.1 or 5.1). If you wired 7.1 but have fewer actual speakers, it will be the Yamaha doing the down-mix.
3) In Speaker Configuration in the OPPO, set all speakers LARGE and the Subwoofer ON. Set all speakers/sub to 0dB Volume trim. Set all speakers/sub equidistant. ANY distance will do so long as they are all the same. You can just use the 12 foot factory default distance setting.
4) Since all speakers are set to LARGE, the Crossover frequency value in the OPPO will be ignored. No need to change that.
5) See my post earlier in this thread about setting Volume in the OPPO to 100 -- or a couple steps below that to insure against clipping as needed. ("Notes on Setting Up For Analog Output")
ETA: As already posted above, the Speaker Configuration stuff in the OPPO has no effect on its HDMI Digital audio output, so if you are switching the Yamaha between multi-channel Analog input and HDMI audio input there are no settings changes you need to make in the OPPO. For HDMI audio, the Speaker Configuration stuff is *ALWAYS* handled by your AVR. Those settings in the OPPO only apply to its multi-channel Analog outs.