Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4116Likes

post #631 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
You're talking in circles. I think we both explained why we have are displays on. You apparently aren't grasping that. Both jaredmmyers and myself asked you specific questions that you don't seem to want to answer. I'm out as this looks like it'll go nowhere.

Bill
Thanks Bill, agreed.

I just fired up the 205 in 2 channel mode from and played from a USB. While playing the song, I hit the pure audio button which made the screen go black. The music continued to play and I toggled the pure audio button back which brought the screen back on. I did this several times and can attest there is absolutely no difference in the sound quality between the two.

Screen on for me; knowing I am already getting the best sound I can. Obviously every setup is different so maybe in some situations it will make a difference, it does not in mine.

Cheers,

Jared
Bill Mac and flash900 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Guys, leaving the TV turned on while also using Pure Audio in the OPPO during music listening has no effect on the audio output quality from the OPPO.

--Bob
Thanks for clarifying Bob. I found the same to be true.
Bill Mac likes this.
post #633 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 3321
Quote:
Guys, leaving the TV turned on while also using Pure Audio in the OPPO during music listening has no effect on the audio output quality from the OPPO.

Leaving the TV turned on while NOT also using Pure Audio probably *ALSO* has no effect on the audio output quality from the OPPO. The internal shielding of signal paths in the player is quite good, by design. However, Pure Audio is available as an additional, sort of "belt and suspenders" insurance for folks concerned about this.

Personally I use Pure Audio simply as a convenient way to blank my TV screen.

----------------------------------

I should add, bench test reports like this are not out yet for the 205, but for the 105 and 105D I don't recall anyone having published a bench test showing that engaging Pure Audio made a significant difference in the audio output quality. It MIGHT, and turning off the video processing path certainly helps insure that. But I don't believe anyone has actually published tests showing a meaningful difference.
--Bob
Bob,

As always thanks for your thoughts ! Hopefully "some" will learn from your above thoughts . I believe you posted the above quite awhile ago when the subject came up on earlier Oppo players. Thanks again!

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmmyers View Post
Thanks Bill, agreed.

I just fired up the 205 in 2 channel mode from and played from a USB. While playing the song, I hit the pure audio button which made the screen go black. The music continued to play and I toggled the pure audio button back which brought the screen back on. I did this several times and can attest there is absolutely no difference in the sound quality between the two.

Screen on for me; knowing I am already getting the best sound I can. Obviously every setup is different so maybe in some situations it will make a difference, it does not in mine.

Cheers,

Jared
Jared,

Thanks for your thoughts, well said ! It looks like the 205 will be in my system in the very near future.

Bill
jaredmmyers likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Marantz SA-10, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #635 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5784 Post(s)
Liked: 8258
Quote:
Bob,

As always thanks for your thoughts ! Hopefully "some" will learn from your above thoughts . I believe you posted the above quite awhile ago when the subject came up on earlier Oppo players. Thanks again!

Bill
Well if the bench tests eventually show I'm full of it, I'll have to eat those words.

But until then I have confidence that the engineers did not cut corners in the internal topology, grounding and shielding. I.e., they weren't DEPENDING on folks using Pure Audio (or having no TV connected) to get best quality audio.
--Bob
Bill Mac and jaredmmyers like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #636 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Jared,

Thanks for your thoughts, well said ! It looks like the 205 will be in my system in the very near future.

Bill
My pleasure Bill!

I have had it for a couple weeks. It sounds awesome in Dolby Atmos and 2 channel music mode.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

Cheers,

Jared
Bill Mac likes this.
post #637 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Bob,

Bill

I guess that "some" comment was directed to me. I've learned plenty and have been at this a long time. All you've done with your comments is prove that you don't know what you're talking about or doing in general.

There is a reason why pure audio is an option that is used and why a lot of audiophiles have dedicated two channel systems but hey as long as you can see what track is playing and you're happy who cares what anyone else thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #638 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres2play View Post
Good to know. I'm using the 205 as preamp and the difference in levels between XLR and RCA is noticable.
You shouldn't be able to tell level differences between RCA/XLR as your power amp should reduce its XLR input gain by 6dB. If the difference you hear is due to level matches, then your amp is not doing it right.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #639 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
He was suggesting a test to see if that is in fact the issue. Why would you even have the display on if you are trying to listen to pure audio anyway?

Yes, I was simply suggesting it as a diagnostic test not a solution.
post #640 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
New question: I see the OPPO has the option of Speaker Configuration, and I can make changes to the individual speakers such as +1.5dB LEVEL to the FL speaker, and -0.5dB to the Center speaker. And I can change the crossover point.

I can do the same thing in the Yamaha using YPAO.

So let's say I'm playing music from the OPPO using Analog OUT to my Yamaha RX-A3060 which is set to Pure Direct so that the OPPO DAC is being used. So far, so good.

But now I disable Pure Direct and I'm using the Yamaha to decode, and also to process the OPPO input in other ways. Do I hear a COMBINATION of the OPPO Speaker Configuration settings and the Yamaha YPAO settings? That would be no good!

* LG OLED65C7P
* Oppo UDP-205 * Sony UBP-X800 * Denon DVD2900 * Pioneer CLD-79
* Yamaha RX-A3060
* Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower/Horizon RAAL Center/Sierra-1 NrT surrounds
* Rythmik F15HP x 2
* Loads of high resolution source material from http://aixrecords.com/
post #641 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 218
No, the analog outputs of the Oppo player are affected by the speaker configuration settings. HDMI outputs are not.
wowthatsabigscreen likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #642 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Well if the bench tests eventually show I'm full of it, I'll have to eat those words.

But until then I have confidence that the engineers did not cut corners in the internal topology, grounding and shielding. I.e., they weren't DEPENDING on folks using Pure Audio (or having no TV connected) to get best quality audio.
--Bob
Bob,

I have full confidence that you won't be eating your words !

Bill

post #643 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thank you! That's what I wanted to hear.

* LG OLED65C7P
* Oppo UDP-205 * Sony UBP-X800 * Denon DVD2900 * Pioneer CLD-79
* Yamaha RX-A3060
* Ascend Sierra RAAL Tower/Horizon RAAL Center/Sierra-1 NrT surrounds
* Rythmik F15HP x 2
* Loads of high resolution source material from http://aixrecords.com/
post #644 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowthatsabigscreen View Post
New question: I see the OPPO has the option of Speaker Configuration, and I can make changes to the individual speakers such as +1.5dB LEVEL to the FL speaker, and -0.5dB to the Center speaker. And I can change the crossover point.

I can do the same thing in the Yamaha using YPAO.

So let's say I'm playing music from the OPPO using Analog OUT to my Yamaha RX-A3060 which is set to Pure Direct so that the OPPO DAC is being used. So far, so good.

But now I disable Pure Direct and I'm using the Yamaha to decode, and also to process the OPPO input in other ways. Do I hear a COMBINATION of the OPPO Speaker Configuration settings and the Yamaha YPAO settings? That would be no good!
Yes *IF, AND ONLY IF* you are still listening on the multi-channel Analog outs of the OPPO. And you are right, that's not good.

If you decide to enable processing of multi-channel Analog input in the Yamaha, then you want to *DISABLE* Speaker Configuration processing in the OPPO. To do that:

1) Wire the full set of multi-channel outs to the Yamaha -- likely 7.1, but 5.1 if the Yamaha only has 5.1 input.

2) In Speaker Configuration in the OPPO, set Down-Mix to match what you just wired (7.1 or 5.1). If you wired 7.1 but have fewer actual speakers, it will be the Yamaha doing the down-mix.

3) In Speaker Configuration in the OPPO, set all speakers LARGE and the Subwoofer ON. Set all speakers/sub to 0dB Volume trim. Set all speakers/sub equidistant. ANY distance will do so long as they are all the same. You can just use the 12 foot factory default distance setting.

4) Since all speakers are set to LARGE, the Crossover frequency value in the OPPO will be ignored. No need to change that.

5) See my post earlier in this thread about setting Volume in the OPPO to 100 -- or a couple steps below that to insure against clipping as needed. ("Notes on Setting Up For Analog Output")

----------------------------

ETA: As already posted above, the Speaker Configuration stuff in the OPPO has no effect on its HDMI Digital audio output, so if you are switching the Yamaha between multi-channel Analog input and HDMI audio input there are no settings changes you need to make in the OPPO. For HDMI audio, the Speaker Configuration stuff is *ALWAYS* handled by your AVR. Those settings in the OPPO only apply to its multi-channel Analog outs.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.
post #645 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
ewe200, if you removed the hdmi cable and it still happened then you will need to contact OPPO. If you removed the hdmi cable and it stopped the audio from muting then try engaging pure audio while your display is on and see if that stops the muting. If it does, you have your fix, if it doesn't you will need to contact OPPO. Thank you to both Bob Pariseau and T-smith for jumping in to help clarify what I was saying and to help resolve the problem.
post #646 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
^ I don't think the Yamaha RX-A3060 has 7.1 or 5.1 analog inputs. The stereo outs could be passed so set the Front Left/Right to large if you want to digitize for YPAO processing or to run your mains full range for 2-channel.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #647 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
^ I don't think the Yamaha RX-A3060 has 7.1 or 5.1 analog inputs. The stereo outs could be passed so set the Front Left/Right to large if you want to digitize for YPAO processing or to run your mains full range for 2-channel.

- Rich
I'm too used to my D2v!

I tend to assume everyone has multi-channel Analog input -- and with the option of processing that or not....
--Bob

post #648 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Who here has used the UDP-250 as a replacement for your free standing DAC?

How did it compare?
post #649 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

--Bob

The bench tests would only show the Oppo itself and not any other component that would be in ones setup like their TV, PrePro or Receiver, etc as all of our systems are for the most part unique.

My point was when doing any serious music listening why take the chance of video even having a negative impact on your listening experience but "some" just don't get that. Anyone that has ever dealt with noise in a speaker that they can't find the source of and ends up rewiring their entire setup knows what I'm talking about.

-
post #650 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:29 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
The bench tests would only show the Oppo itself and not any other component that would be in ones setup like their TV, PrePro or Receiver, etc as all of our systems are for the most part unique.

My point was when doing any serious music listening why take the chance of video even having a negative impact on your listening experience but "some" just don't get that. Anyone that has ever dealt with noise in a speaker that they can't find the source of and ends up rewiring their entire setup knows what I'm talking about.
But if people try with and without their TV on and with and without pure audio enabled and don't detect even a small difference in audio quality, then perhaps it makes sense to go with what makes them happy rather than being so rigid... If a difference in sound quality IS noticed, then it makes sense to worry about it.
Bill Mac likes this.
post #651 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Yes, I've no argument with any of that. MY point was that leaving the TV on (probably) doesn't alter the audio output of the OPPO itself.

For whatever else might be going on in your listening space / interference environment you are on your own.

For example, if leaving the TV on attracts the kids....
--Bob
Bill Mac likes this.

post #652 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
^ Other considerations might be things like the TV making buzzing noises from transformers or has fans that run when it's on.
post #653 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
But if people try with and without their TV on and with and without pure audio enabled and don't detect even a small difference in audio quality, then perhaps it makes sense to go with what makes them happy rather than being so rigid... If a difference in sound quality IS noticed, then it makes sense to worry about it.

I'm not telling anyone how they should be using their system, I simply asked why

-
post #654 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I've no argument with any of that. MY point was that leaving the TV on (probably) doesn't alter the audio output of the OPPO itself.

For whatever else might be going on in your listening space / interference environment you are on your own.

For example, if leaving the TV on attracts the kids....

--Bob

There is more to a listening experience than just the Oppo and I'll leave it at that, thanks for the reply

-
post #655 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread

@Bill Mac

It was an example...time to move on and I guess you have since you deleted your post

I have no reason to compare as I want the least amount of devices powered on in the chain when I'm doing any type of serious music listening.

There is a difference between better and not worse. Ive said my peace, enjoy your 205...oh wait

-

Last edited by T-smith; 05-07-2017 at 04:53 PM.
post #656 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
There is more to a listening experience than just the Oppo and I'll leave it at that, thanks for the reply
Have you compared the audio sound quality of Oppo players with a display on or off? Have you compared the same with a display on and then with Pure Audio on? Are there any audio sound quality differences? I ask as a number of Oppo owners in this thread have actually tested this and none have found any audio sound quality differences. If you haven't done these comparisons I can't see how you can say that there is differences with no experience or credible proof (numbers) that back up your claims. Being an "audiophile" has nothing to do with doing this comparison IMO.

Edit: yes I did delete my post as I'm trying to be civil.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Mac; 05-07-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #657 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared4me View Post
ewe200, if you removed the hdmi cable and it still happened then you will need to contact OPPO. If you removed the hdmi cable and it stopped the audio from muting then try engaging pure audio while your display is on and see if that stops the muting. If it does, you have your fix, if it doesn't you will need to contact OPPO. Thank you to both Bob Pariseau and T-smith for jumping in to help clarify what I was saying and to help resolve the problem.
This is happening when the TV is turned off. I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to test it again, but can the TV still cause a problem even if it's off? For reference, the TV is a new Sony XBR55X930E.
post #658 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewe200 View Post
This is happening when the TV is turned off. I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to test it again, but can the TV still cause a problem even if it's off? For reference, the TV is a new Sony XBR55X930E.
It depends on how the TV implements "Off". Many modern HDMI devices keep their HDMI sockets "live" even while they are "Off". The usual culprit here is HDMI CEC -- remote control over the HDMI cables. The HDMI socket has to be live for the TV to find out what's happening at the other end of the cable -- so it can respond in some fashion, such as by turning on. Normally this is not a problem.

The PROBLEM happens if the silly TV decides to cycle its HDMI socket between "live" and "not live" again and again. Every time that changes it forces whatever is at the other end of the cable to do a new HDMI handshake. And that's where you can get muting as was described above.

Due to time delays built into the HDMI handshake protocol, an HDMI handshake takes about 2 seconds -- which is my main clue in thinking this sort of silliness from the TV is the source of the problem. I.e., that your periods of muting lasted 2 seconds.

-------------------------------

If this is what's going on, you may be able to configure the TV to not do this.
--Bob

post #659 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

There's Nothing Like the Classics:

--Bob
Bill Mac and dmusoke like this.

post #660 of 6759 Old 05-07-2017, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewe200 View Post

This could be HDMI CEC as Bob mentioned as that has a mind of its own. I still think this could be networked related though.

I don't play any CDs or SACDs, does this player go out and try to download album covers or any information related to the disc? If so that could be the issue as well.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page