Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4137Likes

post #6721 of 6914 Old 06-26-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady teddy View Post
Thanks, I contacted Oppo support on this and they asked the same thing. For starters, I sent them a link to just solid color wallpaper in 4K. Long story short, I was trying to get the 205 to display a solid yellow screen/photo in order to test my LG OLED for burn in. I saved the wallpaper jpg to my hard drive but cannot get it to display on my LG. Oppo support said they could not replicate the issue.

https://www.solidbackgrounds.com/384...ackground.html

My guess is it’s perhaps a setting on the B6P, maybe HDMI Deep Color (HDR). I don’t know what else it could be. When I get time I could connect the 205 to another display if setting Deep Color off doesn’t fix it. If I can get photos to display on one of the other TVs, then there’s something going on with the 205 & LG.

Everything is connected through a Marantz 8802A but it’s set to pass through.
No issues playing 4K UHD discs with my current setup either.

Thanks
Just tested and can confirm the issue was the HDMI Deep Color setting on the LG. I turned it off and can now view photos with the 205.

Thanks again.

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
LG 65 B6P & EF9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 6914 Old 06-29-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewie12 View Post
Thx Jupiterstar,
this seems to go in the right direction. Did you add any further steps in the meantime? Or anybody else?
Obviously it is not very practical to insert a USB stick until the network is connected…..I would ideally like to keep it in permanently and route the menu directly to my NAS directories.
The OPPO settings still not allow any editing of the high level menu (Music, Pictures, Movies, etc) so if OPPO is not getting it fixed this is our only option.
Hope we can get a fix that is ready for practical usage.
thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterstar View Post
Thanks for the posts! I've been playing with my Oppo-203 based on your initial post and following various threads on the Internet regarding what people have done. I don't have a particular need to use a folder on my usb drive as a network mount, but here's how you do it.

HTML Code:
<USB Root Dir>/
        |-AutoScript/
               |-AutoScript.TSS
In AutoScript.TSS, just do something like this (which I just tested):

HTML Code:
#MKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec /bin/mount.cifs //192.168.1.10/Movies /mnt/sda1/Movies -o user=<username>,password=<password>,ro)
1) That's it, a one liner. I hope you didn't run the entire script originally posted, it didn't need to be that complicated and it does alter your player. For example, the very first line wipes out the password for the root user. I'm sure a firmware reflash will reset it.
2) Make sure that your player is on the network. If you plug in the USB too soon upon powerup, it may not have had enough time to establish a network connect. Try browsing the network first and make sure it's successful before plugging in the USB.
3) You'll need to use absolute paths for executables.
4) You only need the AutoScript.TSS file.
5) It still only works with SMB1, so it may be failing because of that.

Thanks @jupiterstar for sharing this.

Your instructions look pretty straight forward, but for some reason it is not working for me (jb 203). The player recognizes the USB drive, but that's about it. When I navigate to the Video folder I can only see the USB stick with the AutoScript folder, i.e. nothing is mapped. (I can navigate to/access the network share just fine. I also changed the source address to match my IP address and folder name and added my username and password. )

I wonder if there is anything I have missed....

Any suggestions?

_____

Axel

post #6723 of 6914 Old 06-30-2019, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Thanks @jupiterstar for sharing this.

Your instructions look pretty straight forward, but for some reason it is not working for me (jb 203). The player recognizes the USB drive, but that's about it. When I navigate to the Video folder I can only see the USB stick with the AutoScript folder, i.e. nothing is mapped. (I can navigate to/access the network share just fine. I also changed the source address to match my IP address and folder name and added my username and password. )

I wonder if there is anything I have missed....

Any suggestions?

_____

Axel
Not sure. I've only tested it on the current and penultimate official firmwares for my 203 since that's what I have. There may be a few reasons why it may not work. Not sure about the basis for your firmware, but how the system reads a USB and how it finds the executable AutoScript file may be different. Also, the mount.cifs command may be named differently or located in a different directory in other firmware versions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6724 of 6914 Old 06-30-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterstar View Post
Not sure. I've only tested it on the current and penultimate official firmwares for my 203 since that's what I have. There may be a few reasons why it may not work. Not sure about the basis for your firmware, but how the system reads a USB and how it finds the executable AutoScript file may be different. Also, the mount.cifs command may be named differently or located in a different directory in other firmware versions...

Thanks for your reply.

Bummer, that I cannot get it to work - I don't have the knowledge (or guts) to 'dig deeper' into the Oppo software/filing structure. That said, it's not the end of the world; it would have been nice to enable that feature to make the Oppo's folder navigation a bit less cumbersome.

_____

Axel

post #6725 of 6914 Old 06-30-2019, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys - quick question - I recently bought a second hand 205. It seems fine but one thing I'd like to verify is if the dac chips have been tampered with. So question would it be easy to swap them out and if so how easŷ would it be for me to check that the original es9038pros are still in place? Thanks in advance!
post #6726 of 6914 Old 07-01-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala33 View Post
Hi guys - quick question - I recently bought a second hand 205. It seems fine but one thing I'd like to verify is if the dac chips have been tampered with. So question would it be easy to swap them out and if so how easŷ would it be for me to check that the original es9038pros are still in place? Thanks in advance!
Why would you think anyone has switched out your DACs? Seems a bit paranoid to me, or is there more to the story?

Dave

post #6727 of 6914 Old 07-01-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3850 Post(s)
Liked: 3086
Quote:
The analog board is large, impossible to miss, and fairly easy to remove. That's the only way to see it properly, remove it. Or you can pay the flat rate repair fee and send it in for those folks to look at.

There have been a few people/companies doing mods on the 205 analog board and power supplies, but not a lot.
post #6728 of 6914 Old 07-01-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Sorry for off topic question but I am wanting to make sure that a bluray disc that I want to buy thru E-Bay that is a UK import will play on my Oppo 205? In the E-Bay info provided by the seller it states it is "Region 2/Region B"

Sony 75xZ9D
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
post #6729 of 6914 Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The analog board is large, impossible to miss, and fairly easy to remove. That's the only way to see it properly, remove it. Or you can pay the flat rate repair fee and send it in for those folks to look at.

There have been a few people/companies doing mods on the 205 analog board and power supplies, but not a lot.
Thanks the quick response. Do you mean if I remove the analogue board the dac chip will be visible underneath?
post #6730 of 6914 Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Why would you think anyone has switched out your DACs? Seems a bit paranoid to me, or is there more to the story?
Lol - it's true I know but let's just say that since buying it the source appears to be more than dubious. It seems fine but since my primary use is music I'd rather be 100% sure the dacs haven't been messed with. That said, I've no idea how easy it is to even swap them out without making serious modifications so yeh, I'm probably being totally paranoid
post #6731 of 6914 Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Lol - it's true I know but let's just say that since buying it the source appears to be more than dubious. It seems fine but since my primary use is music I'd rather be 100% sure the dacs haven't been messed with. That said, I've no idea how easy it is to even swap them out without making serious modifications so yeh, I'm probably being totally paranoid
Doubtful it would be worth messing with but here’s a pic on page 3 of this review.

https://www.audioxpress.com/files/attachment/2635
post #6732 of 6914 Old 07-01-2019, 08:45 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Sorry for off topic question but I am wanting to make sure that a bluray disc that I want to buy thru E-Bay that is a UK import will play on my Oppo 205? In the E-Bay info provided by the seller it states it is "Region 2/Region B"
It will not unless you have a hardware region free mod.

That presumes the catalog and seller information is correct. These discs are sometimes actually all-region but I wouldn't depend on that.

Also of note: the computer backup procedures for DVD and Blu-ray remove region coding.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6733 of 6914 Old 07-01-2019, 07:12 PM

[quote=laserjock II;58245778]Doubtful it would be worth messing with but here’s a pic on page 3 of this review.

Hey - this is great - thank you.
post #6734 of 6914 Old 07-02-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It will not unless you have a hardware region free mod.

That presumes the catalog and seller information is correct. These discs are sometimes actually all-region but I wouldn't depend on that.

Also of note: the computer backup procedures for DVD and Blu-ray remove region coding.

-Bill

Thanks Bill. I'm not sure what you mean regarding the computer backup procedures for DVD and Blu-ray removing the region coding. If I was to buy this disc from GB on E-bay and it doesn't play on this player is this a way to get it to play or do I need the hardware region free mod. How hard is that to do?

Sony 75xZ9D
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6735 of 6914 Old 07-02-2019, 05:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Thanks Bill. I'm not sure what you mean regarding the computer backup procedures for DVD and Blu-ray removing the region coding. If I was to buy this disc from GB on E-bay and it doesn't play on this player is this a way to get it to play or do I need the hardware region free mod. How hard is that to do?
The main thread for Blu-ray backups is here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...u-rays-ii.html

I use MakeMKV to create an MKV version of the main title. That file has no region coding and will play anywhere. You do not need a hardware mod if you go that route.

If you don't want to make backups, then you do need a hardware mod. See the FAQ for links: Region Free Modifications.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6736 of 6914 Old 07-02-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The main thread for Blu-ray backups is here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...u-rays-ii.html

I use MakeMKV to create an MKV version of the main title. That file has no region coding and will play anywhere. You do not need a hardware mod if you go that route.

If you don't want to make backups, then you do need a hardware mod. See the FAQ for links: Region Free Modifications.

-Bill

Thanks Bill I will look into that if in fact when I get the disc it doesn't play. I am hoping it's region free.

Sony 75xZ9D
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6737 of 6914 Old 07-04-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Video playback from iphone

Anyone had any luck with playing video directly from an iphone through the Oppo app? A while ago I figured out that if I turned off UHD on my TV it would work. I've done a few firmware upgrades since then and haven't tried it in awhile, but it no longer works. The app crashes on the phone. Any suggestions for video settings on the Oppo?
post #6738 of 6914 Old 07-05-2019, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I've owned a 205 since shortly after their introduction, but had rarely used it and never for music. Yesterday, I put together a setup comprised of the 205, a 300-watt NAD M22 Class D amp, and a pair of KEF LS50s. I was astonished by the quality of the sound. I've been using an Ayre 5 Twenty series preamp and amp with a pair of KEF Ref 1s, a far more expensive setup. I need to do a lot of comparative listening, but I'm wondering if I need more than the 205/M22/LS50 setup. I cancelled an order for a backup 205 before learning they were going to be discontinued, because I have a 95, 105, and 105D. I regret that move having now heard the 205 in action.

db
post #6739 of 6914 Old 07-05-2019, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
What's the best way to configure the Audio Output Setup>HDMI Audio Format so it passes through the audio signal?
I've an Oppo 205 with a Firestick 4K attached to the 205's HDMI input.
I'll split the audio and video outputs from the 205 with the audio going into
my LG OLED B7P HDMI 3 input and the audio out from the 205 going into
the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar HDMI 3 input.
The EArc from the soundbar connects to the B7P's ARC.

The options in the Audio Output Setup>HDMI Audio Format are Auto / LPCM / Bitstream / Off
Is Bitstream the way to go or would Off or one of the others be better?

I see that in Setup Menu>Audio Processing> DTS Neo:6 Mode's default setting is Off.

Would leaving DTS Neo:6 set to off and Audio Output Setup>HDMI Audio Format set to Off
be the best way to provide an unmodified signal to the soundbar?

Thank you!
post #6740 of 6914 Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by BN08 View Post
What's the best way to configure the Audio Output Setup>HDMI Audio Format so it passes through the audio signal?
I've an Oppo 205 with a Firestick 4K attached to the 205's HDMI input.
I'll split the audio and video outputs from the 205 with the audio going into
my LG OLED B7P HDMI 3 input and the audio out from the 205 going into
the Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar HDMI 3 input.
The EArc from the soundbar connects to the B7P's ARC.

The options in the Audio Output Setup>HDMI Audio Format are Auto / LPCM / Bitstream / Off
Is Bitstream the way to go or would Off or one of the others be better?

I see that in Setup Menu>Audio Processing> DTS Neo:6 Mode's default setting is Off.

Would leaving DTS Neo:6 set to off and Audio Output Setup>HDMI Audio Format set to Off
be the best way to provide an unmodified signal to the soundbar?

Thank you!
Use HDMI Audio Format BITSTREAM and DTS Neo:6 Mode OFF.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6741 of 6914 Old 07-05-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bob,

The manual seems to suggest the 205 could serve as a Roon endpoint. I suppose input could be direct ethernet or ethernet via a microRendu that outputs USB to the 205. Is either preferred and are there specific 205 menu settings I need to use? Linking the 205 to a NAD M22 Class D amp and KEF LS50s results in a setup that sounds superb and is energy efficient, an ideal setup for streaming music.

Note: Although it's been suggested USB from a Mac Mini can go directly to an Ayre Codex, Roon did not "find" the Codex until I inserted a microRendu that takes ethernet in and delivers USB out to the Codex. Roon immediately found the Codex. But, unlike the Codex, the 205 accepts ethernet directly.

db

Last edited by dbphd; 07-05-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #6742 of 6914 Old 07-05-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Use HDMI Audio Format BITSTREAM and DTS Neo:6 Mode OFF.
--Bob
Thank you!
post #6743 of 6914 Old 07-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Bob,

The manual seems to suggest the 205 could serve as a Roon endpoint. I suppose input could be direct ethernet or ethernet via a microRendu that outputs USB to the 205. Is either preferred and are there specific 205 menu settings I need to use? Linking the 205 to a NAD M22 Class D amp and KEF LS50s results in a setup that sounds superb and is energy efficient, an ideal setup for streaming music.

Note: Although it's been suggested USB from a Mac Mini can go directly to an Ayre Codex, Roon did not "find" the Codex until I inserted a microRendu that takes ethernet in and delivers USB out to the Codex. Roon immediately found the Codex. But, unlike the Codex, the 205 accepts ethernet directly.

db

I use Roon via the network and it is exceptional. It combines an excellent music library handler.
When connecting to the 205 via the network, it also allows you to control the volume. I do this in my game-room where the 205 is directly connected a Benchmark AHB2 amp.
Basically, Roon works like DLNA should have worked, seamlessly and gapless.

In my main system, I have BRIX NUC that runs the RAAT (Roon server) and use the 295 DAC in, though both work.
I find it a litter cleaner. For two channel, the Benchmark LA4 (line amplifier/preamp) provides volume control, which is a bit better than the XMC-1 fully balanced inputs.

Roon is expensive but worth it (IMO). The 205 Roon support is ideal for systems when directly connected to an amp.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #6744 of 6914 Old 07-05-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Rich, I think you answered my question about whether I'll be able to bring up Roon on the 205. Do you connect the 205 to the network directly via ethernet or do you go through an intermediary such as a microRendu and use the USB port? I haven't checked the 205 input menu about how to select the ethernet port.

db
post #6745 of 6914 Old 07-16-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Can someone recommend a HDMI switch for use with the Oppo 205?

I have two sources (cable TV and Apple TV 4K) that I want to connect to the HDMI input of the Oppo and let the Oppo process the signal.

Thanks!!
post #6746 of 6914 Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
Can someone recommend a HDMI switch for use with the Oppo 205?

I have two sources (cable TV and Apple TV 4K) that I want to connect to the HDMI input of the Oppo and let the Oppo process the signal.

Thanks!!
I'm working on that myself, but I mainly want to connect a Roku. I also have a Dish Hopper, and I successfully got a 4k signal to pass through the Oppo 205 from it, but no luck so far getting Netflis or Prime content to play in 4k. I'm not sure I have the bandwidth to stream 4k anyway. My previous connection was through a Bryson SP3, but it needs a $1000 upgrade to pass 4k. There is almost zero content on Dish in 4k, so I'm not too worried about that until there's more, but I'd like to get Netflix and Prime to work.

BTW Nicoff, be sure to set your Oppo input to HDMI bypass, otherwise I got picture but no sound. Well, come to think of it, I got picture but no sound with HDMI bypass last night until I turned everything off and back on again. Maybe something else is at play, like HDMI bypass just passes a straight signal, and HDMI input lets the Oppo process it?

Thoughts, anyone?

Dave

post #6747 of 6914 Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I'm working on that myself, but I mainly want to connect a Roku. I also have a Dish Hopper, and I successfully got a 4k signal to pass through the Oppo 205 from it, but no luck so far getting Netflis or Prime content to play in 4k. I'm not sure I have the bandwidth to stream 4k anyway. My previous connection was through a Bryson SP3, but it needs a $1000 upgrade to pass 4k. There is almost zero content on Dish in 4k, so I'm not too worried about that until there's more, but I'd like to get Netflix and Prime to work.

BTW Nicoff, be sure to set your Oppo input to HDMI bypass, otherwise I got picture but no sound. Well, come to think of it, I got picture but no sound with HDMI bypass last night until I turned everything off and back on again. Maybe something else is at play, like HDMI bypass just passes a straight signal, and HDMI input lets the Oppo process it?

Thoughts, anyone?

We got similar equipment and issues. I also have the SP3. But I just did the 4K upgrade.
My plan is to use a HDMI switch, feed everything to it, and then connect to the Oppo 205 via the rear HDMI In. Then I would send the processed signal from the Oppo to the SP3 and then to the projector. I am not sure exactly what the Oppo actually does.
post #6748 of 6914 Old 07-16-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We got similar equipment and issues. I also have the SP3. But I just did the 4K upgrade.
My plan is to use a HDMI switch, feed everything to it, and then connect to the Oppo 205 via the rear HDMI In. Then I would send the processed signal from the Oppo to the SP3 and then to the projector. I am not sure exactly what the Oppo actually does.
I would think the SP3 would work as your switch. I'm not sure what the switch would do that the Bryston won't.

I used to run everything through the SP3, then send the video out to my display. Except for the OPPO. I sent the video out straight to the display, and the audio to the SP3.

Now I have a 4k--actually 8k-- display, and the SP3 won't pass 4k without the upgrade, so I'm rearranging things. Still don't know if Mt slow internet will even stream 4k, but I got it to work from Dish.

Dave

post #6749 of 6914 Old 07-16-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I too have an SP3 and 205 that I'm trying to decide how to use. The SP3 has great flexibility but I've always assumed the 205 did some video magic and that the SP3 just passed video unharmed -- I do not have the 4K upgrade nor is my projector 4K. For HT the link is Cox TV to the 205 to NAD M22 and C 268 Class D amps driving 6 KEF LS50s; for music it's Roon to Ayre QX-5 digital hub to KX-5 preamp to VX-5 amp driving KEF Ref 1s. I do have a DX-5 DSD that explicitly has a video engine. What video processing does the Oppo 205 do?
post #6750 of 6914 Old 07-17-2019, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
New Spears and Munsil HDR calibration disk released:

https://www.audioholics.com/news/spe...-hdr-benchmark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page