Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 226 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4128Likes

post #6751 of 6848 Old 07-19-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi

Will all UDP-205 players read PAL Region 2 DVD's ? The USA manual seem to indicate yes.

I want to purchase Northern Exposure DVD's from eBay and the listing states : Region 2: Europe

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 6848 Old 07-19-2019, 01:45 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked: 4441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_C View Post
Hi

Will all UDP-205 players read PAL Region 2 DVD's ? The USA manual seem to indicate yes.

I want to purchase Northern Exposure DVD's from eBay and the listing states : Region 2: Europe

Thanks
Out of the box it will read PAL region-free discs, but not region 2 or others.

There is any easy fix: the free Superdisc mod. See the FAQ: Region Free Modifications.

Note that this is for DVDs only. Region-free for Blu-ray requires additional hardware. UHD discs are not region coded.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6753 of 6848 Old 07-20-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OPPO 205 NTSC Region Codes

I was about to purchase some DVD's from Japan.

Will a Blu Ray NTSC Region Free play on my machine?
Also a DVD NTSC Region 2 play on my machine?

Thanks,
CC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6754 of 6848 Old 07-20-2019, 09:24 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4605 Post(s)
Liked: 4441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfunk View Post
I was about to purchase some DVD's from Japan.

Will a Blu Ray NTSC Region Free play on my machine?
Also a DVD NTSC Region 2 play on my machine?

Thanks,
CC
See the post just above yours.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6755 of 6848 Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello,
Does anyone have issue with running XLR? My Nordost Hiemdall XLR all of a sudden stopped working for the two channel listening from Oppo to Prepro.

I switched with other AQ cables and same result....no sound. When I use the same XLR cables for other channels, such as surrounds, from my McIntosh MX122 Processor to the amplifier the XLR cables work fine.
I’ve looked through all sorts of settings and I do not see any option of turning the XLR on or off that could have played a part. I have the same issue when using Rotel RAP 1580. This tells me it’s an issue with Oppo 205 XLR signal.
Any solution is appreciated. Thanks much.
post #6756 of 6848 Old 07-21-2019, 08:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5805 Post(s)
Liked: 8276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
Hello,
Does anyone have issue with running XLR? My Nordost Hiemdall XLR all of a sudden stopped working for the two channel listening from Oppo to Prepro.

I switched with other AQ cables and same result....no sound. When I use the same XLR cables for other channels, such as surrounds, from my McIntosh MX122 Processor to the amplifier the XLR cables work fine.
I’ve looked through all sorts of settings and I do not see any option of turning the XLR on or off that could have played a part. I have the same issue when using Rotel RAP 1580. This tells me it’s an issue with Oppo 205 XLR signal.
Any solution is appreciated. Thanks much.
There is no setting to Mute just the XLR outputs. The XLR Terminal Polarity setting, if set incorrectly, can screw up the signal on XLR, but you should still hear something.

Check that you have audio on the multi-channel Analog RCA outputs. If not, check that you haven't accidentally set Volume to very low or 0 in the player (Volume buttons on the OPPO remote).

If that's good, then check if you have audio on the front panel Headphones jack. Analog to the Headphones jack uses the same 2-channel audio board as the XLR outs. If no audio there, then the player likely needs service. (Note that Volume is remembered separately for the Headphones jack.) You may still be under the 2 year Warranty. Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. You can use the Email Us link on OPPO Digital's Support page for the player:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...5-Support.aspx

Another thing to try is to do a Reset Factory Defaults (Setup > Device Settings), then turn the player off and back on again and see if the problem persists.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6757 of 6848 Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Thanks Bob. You are a life saver.

I don’t know who turned down the volume of my Oppo but I didn’t think to check that since in settings under Audio Processing volume showed 100 and headphone showed 75. I thought that’s what my volume was set at. But once I started to turn the volume up with my remote, I found out it at 0. I should have thought of checking it since I’ve been using Oppo for years now. But I guess having a new killed all my brain cells at the moment.🤦‍♂️
Bob Pariseau likes this.
post #6758 of 6848 Old 07-21-2019, 11:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Do you have a cat? Has it learned to use the remote?

—Bob
oldsteve, wmcclain and Greg TB like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6759 of 6848 Old 07-21-2019, 04:50 PM

Ha ha Bob, that would be some audiophile kitty.

Anyways, I’ve been having another issue that I could not figure out the cause; needless to say a solution of.

When I play 2 channel audio, I keep getting these random silences or pauses. It goes away if I have my TV on. It happened with my previous Rotel RAP 1580, RSP 1582 and now with McIntosh MX122. So I’m certain it’s Oppo or Oppo 205/ 4K TV combo that’s causing this.

Any idea why?
post #6760 of 6848 Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Actually we did have another poster who discovered his cat really was the cause of his OPPO Volume mysteriously being changed to 0.

And a friend who just got two new rescue cats came home to find they had managed to turn on his TV and were watching Game of Thrones. More than once!

He thought it rather hilarious until I suggested the cats were actually looking for tips on strategy and, umm, technique....

As for your new conundrum, I’m going to guess you have a newer model Sony TV. These are notorious for periodically generating bogus HDMI traffic while the TV is “off”. This forces an HDMI handshake, which mutes audio briefly as a side effect.

Short of using a switch to physically disconnect the HDMI to the TV when playing music with the TV off, the other workaround is to leave the TV on and use the Display Off feature on the Sony to black out the screen. I believe this is something you can do with the Sony remote.
—Bob

post #6761 of 6848 Old 07-21-2019, 08:09 PM

^ That’s too funny. I guess cats are known to be fairly smart and naughty animal.

Thanks for explaining the cause. You are right about my Sony TV. It is (or maybe was by now) their latest 900 series TV.

I’ve been turning the display off while listening to 2 channel listening but that’s a pain to live with and simply dumb. Don’t know why CD input with only XLR source would trigger the HDMI handshake, is beyond me. Totally defeats the purpose having multiple cabling if the software can not differentiate signal paths.
post #6762 of 6848 Old 07-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ When the turned-off Sony TV does its nonsense an HDMI handshake gets triggered because of the live HDMI signal path from TV to player. The player has to Mute during a handshake because HDMI copy protection remains suspicious until the handshake completes. Mute is Mute for everything, so the Analog audio outputs also get Muted.
—Bob

post #6763 of 6848 Old 07-22-2019, 02:46 PM

^ I get what it’s trying to do but don’t get why that cannot be fixed on units that cost so much. Thank god I have a dedicated 2 channel setup or else this would drive me crazy.
Sometimes all you want is listen to that one song and all these extra setup is just pain/ noise before the bliss.
post #6764 of 6848 Old 07-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

OPPO has to play by the rules for HDMI handshakes, even when they are not supposed to be happening.

Complaints better sent to Sony. Other TVs don’t do this.
—Bob

post #6765 of 6848 Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
OPPO has to play by the rules for HDMI handshakes, even when they are not supposed to be happening.

Complaints better sent to Sony. Other TVs don’️t do this.
—Bob
Is that why my Rotel RSP 1582 had the handshake issue? I thought it was mostly because of HDR hardware missing from that model. Didn’t see any such issue with RAP 1580 or with McIntosh MX 122.
post #6766 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 05:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I don’t know enough about your other hardware to discuss that.
—Bob

post #6767 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What does the Oppo do to the audio and video when fed an HDMI signal via HDMI IN?

The manual reads:
"The HDMI IN port on the rear of the player allows for the connection of native 4K content from external sources such as a streaming set-top box, cable/satellite boxes, game consoles, computers and even other Blu-ray and UHD players. The incoming signal is processed by the player and output to your connected devices, allowing you to take advantage of the player's built- in audio and video processing capabilities."
post #6768 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The same thing it does to audio and video played from discs or media files — based on the settings you’ve selected in the player.
—Bob
Nicoff likes this.

post #6769 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
^ That’s Taiwan localized firmware — the same thing you’ll need when you decide to update the firmware.
—Bob
I recently purchased the UDP-205 on eBay. It is also running 20XTW-65-0131 firmware. Should I be concerned that this is the Taiwan model? Besides speaker distances showing up in meters instead of feet, what else is different from the US model? Is there a way to transition to the US firmware? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm feeling a little misled by the eBay seller - since the pictures posted of the back of the unit were for the US model - and am considering returning the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190722_162730.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	908.2 KB
ID:	2593646  
post #6770 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
I would think the SP3 would work as your switch. I'm not sure what the switch would do that the Bryston won't.

I used to run everything through the SP3, then send the video out to my display. Except for the OPPO. I sent the video out straight to the display, and the audio to the SP3.

Now I have a 4k--actually 8k-- display, and the SP3 won't pass 4k without the upgrade, so I'm rearranging things. Still don't know if Mt slow internet will even stream 4k, but I got it to work from Dish.

The upgraded HDMI board of the Bryston allows it to pass 4k video but the audio is still being processed by the Bryston. Feeding the signal to the Oppo via HDMI IN allows the Oppo to process both the video AND the audio. In the case of Apple TV, I find that I like the sound better when I go via the Oppo than it going straight to the SP3. That is why I want to get a switch to feed my two sources (Apple TV and cable) to the Oppo.
post #6771 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 07:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanley View Post
I recently purchased the UDP-205 on eBay. It is also running 20XTW-65-0131 firmware. Should I be concerned that this is the Taiwan model? Besides speaker distances showing up in meters instead of feet, what else is different from the US model? Is there a way to transition to the US firmware? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm feeling a little misled by the eBay seller - since the pictures posted of the back of the unit were for the US model - and am considering returning the unit.
There is no way to change the firmware region in the player. When OPPO releases new firmware in North America, there may be a delay before it shows in the Taiwan version. Region locked Blu-ray and SD-DVD discs will be checked against the Taiwan region. And you may need to get service through the regional distributor for Taiwan.

(With older OPPO players, the Internet apps included would also be different for different regions, but since there are no Internet apps on the 205, that's not an issue.)

Features are the same.
--Bob

post #6772 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
The upgraded HDMI board of the Bryston allows it to pass 4k video but the audio is still being processed by the Bryston. Feeding the signal to the Oppo via HDMI IN allows the Oppo to process both the video AND the audio. In the case of Apple TV, I find that I like the sound better when I go via the Oppo than it going straight to the SP3. That is why I want to get a switch to feed my two sources (Apple TV and cable) to the Oppo.
OK, that makes sense, though I'm a bit surprised to hear that. I have my Roku plugged into the OPPO but I haven't had the time to figure out why it isn't passing 4k from Netflix or Prime. I'll have to call them and see if I need to upgrade my service, or what. Or whether my internet isn't fast enough.

Dave

post #6773 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
^ That’s too funny. I guess cats are known to be fairly smart and naughty animal.

Thanks for explaining the cause. You are right about my Sony TV. It is (or maybe was by now) their latest 900 series TV.

I’ve been turning the display off while listening to 2 channel listening but that’s a pain to live with and simply dumb. Don’t know why CD input with only XLR source would trigger the HDMI handshake, is beyond me. Totally defeats the purpose having multiple cabling if the software can not differentiate signal paths.
Quote:

Complaints better sent to Sony. Other TVs don’t do this.
—Bob

I believe the newer models don't have that issue. I used to have Sony's 940C and I had the exact same issue, I since got the Sony Z9D, not exactly new since it came out in 2016, and I don't recall having that issue anymore. Certainly not a reason to change your TV. By the way the Z9D is the best LCD TV I have ever had. I have never had an Oled but when the bedroom TV goes, (12 years old) I would replace it with the new Sony oled.

Sony 75xZ9D
Sony UBP-X800 4K player
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 07-26-2019 at 04:37 AM.
post #6774 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 02:32 PM

^ Time to visit Magnolia. I only bought my TV in December. My guy should’ve told me about this issue.
post #6775 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I believe the newer models don't have that issue. I used to have Sony's 940C and I had the exact same issue, I since got the Sony Z9D, not exactly new since it came out in 2016, and I don't recall having that issue anymore. Certainly not a reason to change your TV. By the way the Z9D is the best LCD TV I have ever had. I have never had an Oled but when the bedroom TV goes, (12 years old) I would repale it with the new Sony oled.

I can confirm the Sony Z9D definitely has the same silly Sony HDMI frequent handshake problem as a number of others Sony's do. I run into the problem if I forget to turn the Z9D on when listening to SACD's on the Oppo. If the TV isn't on, audio from the SACD will drop out fairly regularly. The Oppo 205 is connected to a pre/pro and then on to the TV, both connections via HDMI. Annoying, as when I want to play music, I would rather not have the TV on. Fortunately, it is not a problem when I stream music directly to the pre/pro through non-HDMI sources.
post #6776 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
have my Roku plugged into the OPPO but I haven't had the time to figure out why it isn't passing 4k from Netflix or Prime. I'll have to call them and see if I need to upgrade my service, or what. Or whether my internet isn't fast enough.

It can be something as simple as the HDMI cable that you are using.
post #6777 of 6848 Old 07-23-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That 's a good thought, but the same cable passes 4k fine from my Dish network Hopper.

Dave

post #6778 of 6848 Old 07-24-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
That 's a good thought, but the same cable passes 4k fine from my Dish network Hopper.
Make sure you're using a cable with the Premium Certified logo (see link). Otherwise, it may or may not work, and it's possible that a cable without the logo could work with your Dish but not the Oppo. It's inexpensive and worth a try.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427
post #6779 of 6848 Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Make sure you're using a cable with the Premium Certified logo (see link). Otherwise, it may or may not work, and it's possible that a cable without the logo could work with your Dish but not the Oppo. It's inexpensive and worth a try.

https://www.monoprice.com/prodlesuct?p_id=15427
Thanks, I'll check it out. Both the Dish and the Roku are routed through the Oppo, for now. I have to swap cables to make them work. This is because my Bryston SP3 won't pass 4k without an expensive upgrade.

Dave

post #6780 of 6848 Old 07-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread

Quote:
Thanks, I'll check it out. Both the Dish and the Roku are routed through the Oppo, for now. I have to swap cables to make them work. This is because my Bryston SP3 won't pass 4k without an expensive upgrade.

BTW, you can buy an HDMI switcher for less than $40 that will keep you from having to swap cables. Then you can connect the Audio Out HDMI cable from the Oppo to the SP3 and connect the video out from the Oppo to your projector. I am actually doing that to have the Oppo do all the audio processing before sending to the SP3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page