Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4120Likes

post #6781 of 6800 Old 07-24-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
BTW, you can buy an HDMI switcher for less than $40 that will keep you from having to swap cables. Then you can connect the Audio Out HDMI cable from the Oppo to the SP3 and connect the video out from the Oppo to your projector. I am actually doing that to have the Oppo do all the audio processing before sending to the SP3.
When there's more 4K available I'll either do that of get the SP3 upgrade. Meanwhile, my Dish doesn't need it because there's virtually no 4K content on Dish so I just need to plug the Roku into the OPPO once I figure out why it's not passing 4K. I'll report back once I do.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 6800 Old 07-27-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Tidal on Oppo 205

Hi all,

Can someone direct me to the instructions on how to play Tidal through the 205 .

Had a look but can't seem to find them

Many thanks
post #6783 of 6800 Old 07-27-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
From Tidal Support:

"To use TIDAL on your Oppo device, please go to the App Store on your device to download Oppo Media Control. Once you have Downloaded the Oppo Media Control application, you will then need to connect to your Oppo device on your network. Once the App is paired, you can log in to TIDAL via the app to begin streaming on your Oppo device." (https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/a...203131191-Oppo)
petexian likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6784 of 6800 Old 07-27-2019, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sta363 View Post
From Tidal Support:

"To use TIDAL on your Oppo device, please go to the App Store on your device to download Oppo Media Control. Once you have Downloaded the Oppo Media Control application, you will then need to connect to your Oppo device on your network. Once the App is paired, you can log in to TIDAL via the app to begin streaming on your Oppo device." (https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/a...203131191-Oppo)

"Once the App is paired, you can log in to TIDAL via the app to begin streaming on your Oppo device."

It is not clear to me which app they are referring to. I downloaded the Oppi App and have "paired" (i.e., connected the Oppo app to the player/network). But how do I connect Tidal to the Oppo? Can Anyone explain please?
post #6785 of 6800 Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
"Once the App is paired, you can log in to TIDAL via the app to begin streaming on your Oppo device."

It is not clear to me which app they are referring to. I downloaded the Oppi App and have "paired" (i.e., connected the Oppo app to the player/network). But how do I connect Tidal to the Oppo? Can Anyone explain please?
I don’t think there’s any streaming available on the 200 series players.

Sounds pretty darn good using the Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra USB out to the 205 DAC
post #6786 of 6800 Old 07-28-2019, 01:19 AM

Yes, i tried it with the Media Control App but it doesn't seem to work
post #6787 of 6800 Old 07-28-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanpitt View Post
Yes, i tried it with the Media Control App but it doesn't seem to work
Cannot seem to stream from my phone.

Am thinking of buying a Streamer to use in my main system to listen to Tidal but don't want to spend money unneccesarily if my 205 can do it

Last edited by clanpitt; 07-29-2019 at 12:38 AM.
post #6788 of 6800 Old 07-29-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
^ That’s too funny. I guess cats are known to be fairly smart and naughty animal.

Thanks for explaining the cause. You are right about my Sony TV. It is (or maybe was by now) their latest 900 series TV.

I’ve been turning the display off while listening to 2 channel listening but that’s a pain to live with and simply dumb. Don’t know why CD input with only XLR source would trigger the HDMI handshake, is beyond me. Totally defeats the purpose having multiple cabling if the software can not differentiate signal paths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
OPPO has to play by the rules for HDMI handshakes, even when they are not supposed to be happening.

Complaints better sent to Sony. Other TVs don’t do this.
—Bob

I had this same problem with my Sony 940C TV even though for 2-channel audio (cd, sacd) I am using the balanced analog outputs directly to my pre/pro and I even use the 2 HDMI outs one for video to the TV and the other to my pre/pro for 4k/bluray viewing. Just didn't make sense that I would still get the audio dropouts. However the Sony Z9D doesn't have this issue using my same setup, I just put the cd disc into the oppo and just hit play with the TV off. This was certainly not the reason I changed to the Z9D as Bob mentioned there's a few work arounds for that issue and I just turned off the video via the TV remote but it's nice not having to do that anymore.

Sony 75xZ9D
Sony UBP-X800 4K player
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
post #6789 of 6800 Old 07-29-2019, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Hi all,

Can someone direct me to the instructions on how to play Tidal through the 205 .

Many thanks

BubblePnP or mConnect on Android. The latter somehow gets MQA over onto the Oppo native decode and unfold. Neither does "Tidal suggestions" that well so I create a playlist of their suggestions
post #6790 of 6800 Old 07-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Jon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tidal / Oppo

Quote:
Hi all,

Many thanks
Use mconnectHD for ios / android (built in Tidal and Oppo support) or.....

Use usb driver (download from Oppo) on a Pc or Mac utilizing Tidal app / program.

Both methods work equally well with the 205. Search earlier in this thread for more details.

John
post #6791 of 6800 Old 07-29-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
BTW, you can buy an HDMI switcher for less than $40 that will keep you from having to swap cables. Then you can connect the Audio Out HDMI cable from the Oppo to the SP3 and connect the video out from the Oppo to your projector. I am actually doing that to have the Oppo do all the audio processing before sending to the SP3.

FWIW I tried the HDMI switcher and decided to return it. The problem I found is that when using different sources, there was lip syncing issues. That means that I would have had to make adjustments whenever I switched from one source to another. I decided that it was not worth the effort. YMMV.
post #6792 of 6800 Old 07-30-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Use mconnectHD for ios / android (built in Tidal and Oppo support) or.....

Use usb driver (download from Oppo) on a Pc or Mac utilizing Tidal app / program.

Both methods work equally well with the 205. Search earlier in this thread for more details.

John
Thanks , i will try them both
post #6793 of 6800 Old 08-02-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
FWIW I tried the HDMI switcher and decided to return it. The problem I found is that when using different sources, there was lip syncing issues. That means that I would have had to make adjustments whenever I switched from one source to another. I decided that it was not worth the effort. YMMV.
Hey Nicoff - we use the OPPO 205 as the pre/pro in our media setup. use a Kinovo HDMI switch, though not rated for 4K, it seems to work well even for 4K. 3 sources: Roku Ultra for streaming, Oppo 205 for physical media, and an xfinity (Comcast) box for everything else. No current lip synching issues, but previously I did had some - it was content dependent, not source dependent. In other words, say on the Roku, if I noticed a lip synching issue, switching content on the Roku (Netflix to Amazon for example) showed no lip synching issues. FYI.

Last edited by clpetersen; 08-02-2019 at 06:53 PM.
post #6794 of 6800 Old 08-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lagging when using 205 as preamp for PC

I am running the 205 as the preamp for my computer. I have the HDMI out from my NVIDIA gfx card going to the HDMI IN of the OPPO. Originally, I had planned to use the HDMI out back into my monitor, but there was a severe lag, and the resolutions didn't match up. So, I hooked up another HDMI to my gfx card to go directly to the monitor and there is no delay, but I still have the other HDMI to the OPPO for surround sound.

I thought I was in the clear with this setup, but there is still a severe lag in the audio signal. It's got to be about half a second between when I do something on the PC, and when the speakers react. The outputs of the OPPO are going directly into power amps, so it really seems like its something in or between the PC and OPPO. I tried setting the delay to -100ms, but that does not fix it.

Any suggestions? I never got a delay over the USB connection, but that does not support surround sound... I also suspect it might be Windows 10 doing something weird, but I thought I would ask here as well. TIA
post #6795 of 6800 Old 08-11-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Problems playing wav and flac files via USB input (both transport and timing related)

Background: I recently purchased a Zoom H4N. I'm using RCA audio L/R out from my Denon 3312 (recording Internet Radio and FM radio), passing thru a passive pre-amp to reduce signal strength (no difference with the pre-amp out of the loop), and inputting into the H4N via XLR. This unit records in 2.15gig chunks to a standard 32gig SDSC card, starting a new file each time, with no loss at the new file start.

I am saving at 96/24 as a wav file. I import the wav file into Audacity and save as 24 bit (level 8) flac. But similar things happen with both the original wav and the saved flac files. In the Oppo, using front USB input and an online playlist, I search for tracks I want listen to and skip ones I don't.

Transport: The FF and Rew buttons work only on the last file in the folder. If there are three files, the first two ignore these buttons. When I renamed the files to display in a different order, again, only the last file will accepts FF and Rew. This seems like a bug! The GoTo button is even more problematic.

Timing: When I use GoTo, very strange things happen. Occasionally, for skipping over the first 5 or so minutes, it works as advertised. But after that, here is one Really Bad Example. BTW, this 2.15 gig at 96/24 records 62 minutes. I GoTo +45 minutes and press enter. The time display and the progress bar both display what I entered, that is 45min, 3/4 of the bar visible, but what really happens is the track is resumed where I pressed GoTo. So I'm still playing at the point where I pressed GoTo, but display shows 45min. I have 3 of these files on the thumb drive, and when the 45minutes plays for 17 more minutes, the display shows I'm on the second track, with time advancing, but in reality, I'm only about 30 minutes into the first track. If I press stop and start over, the same happens, as when I remove and re-insert the USB drive.

The owners manual only discusses GoTo with video disks; in the media area, it's not mentioned

Another failure mode which I have seen in these wav files only (which is why I converted to flac just for listening), is a near-the-beginning-of-the-track GoTo will work, but after roughly 5 minutes, if I GoTo, all I get is static. Every GoTo after this, until I press Stop, results in static, *except* if I GoTo the 5 minute or less mark.

Thus, I am not able to search for specific locations on the file. The only thought I had, and I would think the Oppo would have no problem with this, is that the hi-res-ness of the file is too much for the Oppo. There were few within-this-area search hits and none on this topic, so I don't think it is a Known Issue.

Thoughts/reflections?

Last edited by cglenn; 08-11-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Changes to Transport paragraph
post #6796 of 6800 Old 08-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
^ Turn off Gapless playback in Settings. That should fix your FF / REW problem. Most playback controls will not function when Gapless. The difference with the last track in the folder is that there is no following track so Gapless is not engaged.

This may also cure your GoTo problem.
—Bob
ti-triodes likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6797 of 6800 Old 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks Bob!
post #6798 of 6800 Old 08-16-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryfoot View Post
1) OLD: The OPPO lists each track on an album in ALPHABETICAL order. The only way I have found to get the tracks in the correct order is to use iTunes "Song Info" to RENAME each track with a number (e.g. 01 Magical Mystery Tour, 02 The Fool on the Hill, 03 Flying, 04 Blue Jay Way etc.) Then the OPPO sees and sorts by numerical value. Renaming each track is time consuming to say the least. Is there a simpler way than renaming each track to get the OPPO to play the track in the order they are listed on the album after they have been been imported into iTunes? (iTunes displays them
Joined the forum so that I could reply to this. I have the same problem and it's super annoying! What's really weird is that my tracks are prefixed with the track number; I use the following filename template: <track #> - <track name>.<extension>

The Oppo 205 seems to ignore the "<track #> - " part and sort on <track name>.<extension>

I emailed Oppo support about it awhile ago, and here's what they said:

Quote:
If you are using DLNA streaming, what is the DLNA server that you are using to share the files over the network? It is possible that your DLNA server is removing the track number from the filename. The player uses the filename for sorting, not the metadata, because many files will not support metadata information.
Any ideas? I'm using the latest firmware.
post #6799 of 6800 Old 08-17-2019, 04:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4578 Post(s)
Liked: 4416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Bickerstaffe View Post
Joined the forum so that I could reply to this. I have the same problem and it's super annoying! What's really weird is that my tracks are prefixed with the track number; I use the following filename template: <track #> - <track name>.<extension>

The Oppo 205 seems to ignore the "<track #> - " part and sort on <track name>.<extension>

I emailed Oppo support about it awhile ago, and here's what they said:

Any ideas? I'm using the latest firmware.
Welcome to AVSForum.

Are you using DLNA, as OPPO asked? If so order is determined by the server, not the player.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6800 of 6800 Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
When using the USB DAC feature or when playing back MQA bass management is not working. These 2 only works as a 2.0 setup.
I use power amplifiers directly connected to the Oppo with ‘Small’ speakers and subs.

I was thinking of disabling subwoofer and set the left + right speakers to ‘Large’ in Oppo setup – then connect the stereo outputs to the subwoofer. The subwoofer has ‘Output’ connectors. These would then go back to my power amplifier, which then drives the main speakers.
I have not done it yet because I do not have all the cables needed in the correct length.
Crossoverfilter will be in the subwoofer and not the one in the player.
But what do you think of this? I’m not in the big need of USB DAC and MQA is more like a ‘nice to have’.

What do you think? Will I loose more in sound quality by changing to this setup than gaining with the ability to play back MQA?

Regards
Thomas

UE55F9005 - SEK-3500U/ZG
OPPO UDP-205EU
ROTEL RB980 + RB985 poweramps
3 Miller & Kreisel MP150 + 2 S150T speakers + 2 V12 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players