Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 229 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4129Likes

post #6841 of 6861 Old 09-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yea, i bought it in Dec 2017 so still covered, just a bit miffed it stopped working for no reason that i can see. I don't have pets and i clean / dust the area where it is kept regularly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6842 of 6861 Old 09-11-2019, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Synch and lost test tone

I am connecting the OPPO 205 to its first 4K display (previously Samsung PNF8500 Plasma...end of life...)
With the Samsung, I used an HDMI switch to bring two sources (Roku Ultra and Xfinity cable box) to the TV via the OPPO 205, which I use as the pre-pro (5.1 channel). All was good.

With the new 4K display, I decided to bring the sources directly to the TV and connect the OPPO via the HDMI/ARC input. This works mostly, but some annoyances:

1. The Test tone function disappeared from the speaker set-up. Came back after power cycle, then disappeared again

2. A/V synch does not appear to work properly.

3. Of course I lose the OPPO video processing capabilities for the other two sources.

It was enough of annoyance switching to the HDMI/ARC input on the TV to get the OPPO set-up screens visible, that I am going back to a HDMI switch (4K model on order).

Any thoughts on items 1&2 above?

Last edited by clpetersen; 09-11-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #6843 of 6861 Old 09-11-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I have had no problems or lip sync issues with my 205, connected to the ARC/HDMI input of my Sony A9G 4k display (once I turned CEC to "on" in the 205 settings).

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6844 of 6861 Old 09-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I have had no problems or lip sync issues with my 205, connected to the ARC/HDMI input of my Sony A9G 4k display (once I turned CEC to "on" in the 205 settings).
Yeah, not sure what was going wrong. Temporarily just the cable box into HDMI in on the '205, 4K HDMI switch arrives tomorrow. Plan on pushing everything through the 205 then up to the screen. But lip synch is good at 0 ms at the moment, everything functional. May try source direct vs OPPO settings to see if I can tell a difference between OPPO image processing and Samsungs.
post #6845 of 6861 Old 09-13-2019, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
issues with Atmos via Oppo 205 decoder using 5.1 analog output

FWIW I have a done a superficial search on this thread but could not find my issue addressed. Apologies if it has already, and a link would be appreciated.

I use my Oppo 205 by connecting its 5.1 analog outputs to a Parasound Halo P7 preamp. I have no pre-pro or AV receiver at all. I rely entirely on the 205's processor for surround sound audio decoding.

Disclaimer: It's been a very long time since I have updated the firmware on my 205. It lives in an HT that has no internet connectivity (no wifi or network connection to the main house, which is 350 feet away), so it makes firmware updates inconvenient. So this issue may very well be solved with a firmware update, but I have not gone to the trouble yet to load it on a thumb drive and walk it out there.

Issue: Center channel clarity suffers and/or there is a bass balance problem in the mix which seem to be associated with newer movies that only have Dolby Atmos as the audio option. One in particular, "Into the Spiderverse" had muted, unclear dialog and extremely heavy, overpowering bass content. Other recent films include "Hellboy" and "Pet Semetary." Both had crackly distortion problems in the center channel that seem to be solved by a power cycle or by simply waiting long enough. This is frustrating because my system normally has superb speech intelligibility and dialog clarity through the center channel.

My question is this: How does the 205 handle decoding/downconverting Dolby Atmos to "regular" DD 5.1/7.1 (or is Atmos supposed to be intrinsically backward compatible with DD?), and assuming updated firmware, can I rely on the 205 to do this very thing reliably for Atmos program material?

TIA!

Steve
post #6846 of 6861 Old 09-13-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Steve - why not get a wifi extender to give access to wifi from the house? Or a power line extender?

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Front) Triton Ones(Rear),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K
post #6847 of 6861 Old 09-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Steve - why not get a wifi extender to give access to wifi from the house? Or a power line extender?
It's on the list, but not a real need, so it's very low priority. I don't do any streaming at all in the HT. I have a direct view system in the house for that type of viewing.

I can perform any required firmware update for the Oppo 205 by downloading it at the house onto a thumbdrive and then simply walking out to the HT.

Steve
post #6848 of 6861 Old 09-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
^ In your configuration, an Atmos track would play exactly like a TrueHD 7.1 track. The additional Atmos information is ignored. Thus you should also be hearing this when playing discs with TrueHD 7.1 tracks.

Start by checking your levels using a TrueHD 7.1 calibration track, as, for example, from “AIX Audio Calibration”, Blu-ray.

You should update the player firmware, followed by a Reset of the player.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6849 of 6861 Old 09-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ In your configuration, an Atmos track would play exactly like a TrueHD 7.1 track. The additional Atmos information is ignored. Thus you should also be hearing this when playing discs with TrueHD 7.1 tracks.

Start by checking your levels using a TrueHD 7.1 calibration track, as, for example, from “AIX Audio Calibration”, Blu-ray.

You should update the player firmware, followed by a Reset of the player.
—Bob

Bob,

Thank you for the clarification! I'm now wondering if the player is having a real problem, as it did this same behavior (crackly center channel) with a non-Atmos blueray just a day ago. I should do some basic troubleshooting, such as swapping source cables from the pre-amp when this problem occurs and see if the issue moves to the left or right LCR speaker. But regardless, will do as you say and update the firmware and reset the player. Will pick up the AIX cal disc as well for good measure.

Best regards,

Steve
post #6850 of 6861 Old 09-17-2019, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo 205 preamp using NAD M25 Amp

Hello, I am curious if the NAD M25 amp is a good match to use the Oppo 205 as a preamp using the analog outputs. Bob Pariseau has indicated earlier in this thread that the 205 has an output impedance of 100 ohms. The spec line on the NAD M25 says the input impedance is 1 Mohm; C=180pf. Not sure what that means...sorry for the ignorance. Does that sound like a good match? It seems when listening that the volume of the Oppo must be close to 80 to get adequate volume from the speakers with a typical input. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
post #6851 of 6861 Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Is there a way to connect a laptop, macbook pro '18, to the Oppo 205 for HD music using an AVR?
I've connected a USB A > USB B cable, laptop>Oppo, but I'm not getting sound output from my Denon x3600h which I've connected to the Oppo using an HDMI cable connected to the Oppo HDMI out Main and input to the Denon HDMI BluRay input. I chose the USB Input from the Oppo Input menu.

I'm guessing the OPPO USB IN signal won't passthrough to the HDMI Main?
post #6852 of 6861 Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BN08 View Post
Is there a way to connect a laptop, macbook pro '18, to the Oppo 205 for HD music using an AVR?

I've connected a USB A > USB B cable, laptop>Oppo, but I'm not getting sound output from my Denon x3600h which I've connected to the Oppo using an HDMI cable connected to the Oppo HDMI out Main and input to the Denon HDMI BluRay input. I chose the USB Input from the Oppo Input menu.

Did you set the input; from the top of the Oppo remote to USB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung un659000/SEK-3500
post #6853 of 6861 Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1914 Post(s)
Liked: 2302
Quote:

Oppo has instructions posted on their site here. On a Mac, you need to make sure you select the Oppo as your sound output device (you didn't mention this, so may be the thing you missed). For Windows, there's also a device driver that needs to be installed.

Last edited by gsr; 09-18-2019 at 09:38 AM.
post #6854 of 6861 Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
Did you set the input; from the top of the Oppo remote to USB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi TC,

Yes, USB IN. When I had my system configured to use a a preamp with rca inputs it worked fine.
I suspect that my best bet might be to connect the laptop to the Denon using a USB C > HDMI cable. I'd consider using the Oppo L/R rca outputs into the L/R Denon rca inputs if those weren't already taken by the Denon's pre-outs.
post #6855 of 6861 Old 09-18-2019, 09:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5813 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:

Correct. The Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 205 *ONLY* produces output on the Analog outs (L/R pair on back and the Headphones outlet). That input feeds directly into the DACs.

This is a change from the 105 and 105D, which could also produce stereo output on the Digital outs (such as HDMI).

In return, the USB DAC Input of the 205 can handle higher bit rate audio input than the Digital signal paths in the 205 would allow.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 09-18-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #6856 of 6861 Old 09-18-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Correct. The Asynchronous USB DAC Input of the 205 *ONLY* produces output on the Analog outs (L/R pair on back and the Headphones outlet). That input feeds directly into the DACs.

This is a change from the 105 and 105D, which could also produce stereo output on the Digital outs (such as HDMI).

In return, the USB DAC Input of the 205 can handle higher bit rate audio input than the Digital signal paths in the 205 would allow.
--Bob
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the confirmation and explanation as to why it's not possible.
Much appreciated!
post #6857 of 6861 Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 2
"Unknown Disc" Error

My UDP-205 has become afflicted by the "Unknown Disc" error which is probably a symptom of laser failure but what is odd is that all discs seem to be unplayable, I resumed a problematic DVD disc that had problems being read at a certain point on the disc around the 40 min mark and when I placed it back in it tried to resume play and then immediately brought up "Unknown Disc". I've tried factory resetting many times but no such luck, I find it odd that the "Blue Laser" is also affected by this since I had only played one Bluray disc in it.

I also reflashed the same 54-1127 firmware file that my player currently has & it still claims Unknown Disc in the top right hand corner of the OPPO home menu screen.

I cannot believe a problematic DVD disc killed the whole optical laser pickup unit assembly in my 205 unit, extremely disappointed & frustrated that this could possibly happen with such a high end unit, I expected the optical laser pickup unit assembly to be much more robust & durable than this.

Last edited by oniiz; Yesterday at 07:45 AM.
post #6858 of 6861 Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM

Just contact Oppo support. They will take care of you.

post #6859 of 6861 Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Just contact Oppo support. They will take care of you.
You mean, if the 205 is still under warranty, correct?

My unit is out of warranty. I contacted Oppo support just to ask a question. They weren't particularly responsive in a timely manner, although they did respond.
post #6860 of 6861 Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
You mean, if the 205 is still under warranty, correct?

My unit is out of warranty. I contacted Oppo support just to ask a question. They weren't particularly responsive in a timely manner, although they did respond.
No, I meant contact them whether or not the unit is still under warranty. There are several posts about owners having their older Oppo players being fixed for free (you just pay for shipping to Oppo) way past their warranties, at least in the US. They have excellent customer service.
hal250 likes this.

post #6861 of 6861 Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
No, I meant contact them whether or not the unit is still under warranty. There are several posts about owners having their older Oppo players being fixed for free (you just pay for shipping to Oppo) way past their warranties, at least in the US. They have excellent customer service.
Thanks. That is good to understand. Hopefully, I'll never have to find out first-hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players