Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 231 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4148Likes

post #6901 of 6967 Old 10-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 8330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys View Post
Hi all I have a question. I did some searching first but could find the answer. I have the Oppo 205. I have it paired with a Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre-Amp and a JVC NX9 4K projector. I also use a Panamorph DC1 lens. I thought the oppo had a feature that allows you to scale the setup such that you can see the Bluray menu when in anamporhic mode with my lens. I cant see to figure it out. I used to use the custom scaling mode, but due to a recent firmware upgrade with the NX9 its recommended that I use source direct. I only use this player for 4k and music. I have a separate Pioneer UDP-500 for normal bluray and dvd if that helps. Any assistance would be appreciated. Not sure I have things set up righntt.
The Aspect Ratio settings in the OPPO won't function if you have it set to Source Direct output.

If you are playing 4K content, then using UHD Auto output (instead of Source Direct) is the way to go. Then you can use the appropriate 21:9 Aspect Ratio choice for your Anamorphic lens in the projector.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6967 Old 10-13-2019, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Playlists on portable hard drives

I like using playlists for my music files. When I access my music through the 205's network function using Twonky, it sees and plays my .m3u playlists easily. However, I also have a portable hard drive connected to the back of the 205, and sometimes I would like to use that for music playback. Unfortunately, the 205 can not see any sort of playlist if it's on the portable drive. I've placed the playlists in both a playlist folder as well as the root folder. I've tried .pls, and .m3u from playlist creator, and .m3u8, and .fpl from foobar, all to no avail. I know about Oppo using the .cue format, but that is so arcane I can't find a program to create .cue files from folders, and don't really want the bother. Does anyone know of a secret trick I'm missing here?
post #6903 of 6967 Old 10-14-2019, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Does the Oppo 205 use Profile 5? I read that for Dolby Vision all devices connected to Sony TV's need to do Profile 5 for Dolby Vision. Apparently this is the reason many people in the Sony TV
forums are complaining about dimness of Dolby Vision. Apparently all other brand of TV's use profile 4. This is the first I ever heard of this?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 10-16-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6904 of 6967 Old 10-14-2019, 11:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Does the Oppo 205 use profile 5? I read that for Dolby Vision all devices connected to Sony TV's. Apparently this is the reason many people in the Sony TV
forums are complaining about dimness of Dolby Vision. Apparently all other brand of TV's use profile 4. This is the first I ever heard of this?
Sony TVs do not have the ability (horsepower?) to process Dolby Vision internally. Instead they require the player to do the heavy lifting, and send pre-digested Dolby Vision to the TV. How this all works is mandated by Dolby. That said, use of the full dynamic range of light available in the TV is up to the TV and its settings -- i.e., what it does with the pre-digested Dolby Vision it gets from the player. In the OPPO this is called Dolby Vision: Player Led. That is, the Player is taking the lead in digesting the Dolby Vision format.

If the same complaints are coming from folks using Dolby Vision capable Sony players (which I believe to be the case), then clearly the problem is either in Dolby's specification for how this all works, or in the implementation in the TV.

The original implementation of Dolby Vision (in other TVs) had the TV doing the heavy lifting. The player packages up the Dolby Vision content coming off the disc and sends it, unmolested, to the TV. Indeed it is important the player *NOT* try to process the Dolby Vision, as it is in a weird format at that point, unlike anything the video processing in the player knows how to handle. In the OPPO this is called Dolby Vision: TV Led. That is, the TV is taking the lead in digesting the Dolby Vision format.

Whether Player Led or TV Led, the output of the OPPO had to pass Dolby's certification tests for Dolby Vision. I.e., the TV should be getting "the right stuff" (as defined by Dolby) either way.

Some newer TVs (as from LG) can work either way -- Player Led or TV Led in the OPPO. Most will barf if the wrong choice is made in the player -- no image or an obviously screwed up image. The Dolby Vision: Auto setting is supposed to make this choice for you automatically, according to what the TV says it prefers during the HDMI handshake. However there is a bug in the current OPPO firmware, such that in some cases, with some TVs, the wrong choice gets made. (Dolby slipped in an unexpected change in the way that check works in their code included in this most recent OPPO firmware.) Thus it is best to explicitly select TV Led or Player Led in the OPPO according to which works best to your eyes. Again, if the TV doesn't like the choice you made the image will be obviously wrong. If the TV can work with EITHER choice, the choice isn't supposed to make a difference. But you know how that goes....
--Bob
hernanu likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-14-2019 at 11:18 AM.
post #6905 of 6967 Old 10-14-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Sony TVs do not have the ability (horsepower?) to process Dolby Vision internally. Instead they require the player to do the heavy lifting, and send pre-digested Dolby Vision to the TV. How this all works is mandated by Dolby. That said, use of the full dynamic range of light available in the TV is up to the TV and its settings -- i.e., what it does with the pre-digested Dolby Vision it gets from the player. In the OPPO this is called Dolby Vision: Player Led. That is, the Player is taking the lead in digesting the Dolby Vision format.

If the same complaints are coming from folks using Dolby Vision capable Sony players (which I believe to be the case), then clearly the problem is either in Dolby's specification for how this all works, or in the implementation in the TV.

The original implementation of Dolby Vision (in other TVs) had the TV doing the heavy lifting. The player packages up the Dolby Vision content coming off the disc and sends it, unmolested, to the TV. Indeed it is important the player *NOT* try to process the Dolby Vision, as it is in a weird format at that point, unlike anything the video processing in the player knows how to handle. In the OPPO this is called Dolby Vision: TV Led. That is, the TV is taking the lead in digesting the Dolby Vision format.

Whether Player Led or TV Led, the output of the OPPO had to pass Dolby's certification tests for Dolby Vision. I.e., the TV should be getting "the right stuff" (as defined by Dolby) either way.

Some newer TVs (as from LG) can work either way -- Player Led or TV Led in the OPPO. Most will barf if the wrong choice is made in the player -- no image or an obviously screwed up image. The Dolby Vision: Auto setting is supposed to make this choice for you automatically, according to what the TV says it prefers during the HDMI handshake. However there is a bug in the current OPPO firmware, such that in some cases, with some TVs, the wrong choice gets made. (Dolby slipped in an unexpected change in the way that check works in their code included in this most recent OPPO firmware.) Thus it is best to explicitly select TV Led or Player Led in the OPPO according to which works best to your eyes. Again, if the TV doesn't like the choice you made the image will be obviously wrong. If the TV can work with EITHER choice, the choice isn't supposed to make a difference. But you know how that goes....
--Bob
Thanks Bob, I can always count on you to shed some light on various matters. Would Oppo be doing a firmware update to to fix the bug in the Dolby Vision Auto setting? If not or until then, from reading your message I can manually select in the Oppo menu TV led or player led to see which one looks better to my eyes? I am looking at getting an Oled TV and have narrowed it down to the Sony A9G or the LG C9. Even though the A9G won the 2019 shootout over the LG C9 the C9 seems to be brighter when rendering Dolby Vision from what I have ascertained from browsing those forums and it's considerably less expensive.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro

Last edited by mt14942; 10-15-2019 at 02:53 AM.
post #6906 of 6967 Old 10-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ There have been some reports here that OPPO Tech Support has a private Beta firmware update which fixes the Dolby Vision: Auto bug, and have made it available to a few users. So you could ask them. There may be other problems in it though.

I’d recommend explicitly setting TV Led or Player Led according to which appears to be working best.
—Bob

post #6907 of 6967 Old 10-15-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ There have been some reports here that OPPO Tech Support has a private Beta firmware update which fixes the Dolby Vision: Auto bug, and have made it available to a few users. So you could ask them. There may be other problems in it though.

I’d recommend explicitly setting TV Led or Player Led according to which appears to be working best.
—Bob
Thanks Bob, I will do that. I just ordered the Sony A9G Oled this morning and it will be delivered next Tuesday so I will be trying it on that TV. My wife thinks I'm nuts since I just bought the Z9D a couple of
years ago and I can't say enough good things about that TV. It now will be relegated to the bedroom replacing an at least a 11 year old last generation Pioneer Plasma Elite that refuses to die.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6908 of 6967 Old 10-16-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Bob, I will do that. I just ordered the Sony A9G Oled this morning and it will be delivered next Tuesday so I will be trying it on that TV. My wife thinks I'm nuts since I just bought the Z9D a couple of
years ago and I can't say enough good things about that TV. It now will be relegated to the bedroom replacing an at least a 11 year old last generation Pioneer Plasma Elite that refuses to die.
I am considering getting the Panasonic DP-UB820 since it uses profile 5 which would work better with my Sony TV as far as Dolby Vision. It also does HDR 10+ even though I believe I only have one one disc that has HDR 10+, (Bohemian Rhapsody). With HDR 10+ does the TV have to support it as well as the player? I know that's the way it is with Dolby Vision.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6909 of 6967 Old 10-16-2019, 08:16 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Profile 5 is what you get with Dolby Vision: Player Led in your OPPO 205.

The 205 also supports HDR10+ in the current firmware.
—Bob

EDITED: To correct "TV Led" to "Player Led".

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-17-2019 at 04:01 PM.
post #6910 of 6967 Old 10-16-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
I am considering getting the Panasonic DP-UB820 since it uses profile 5 which would work better with my Sony TV as far as Dolby Vision. It also does HDR 10+ even though I believe I only have one one disc that has HDR 10+, (Bohemian Rhapsody). With HDR 10+ does the TV have to support it as well as the player? I know that's the way it is with Dolby Vision.
Sorry, but the display has to support HDR10+ in order for it to work. And Sony does not support it. Neither does LG. Samsung is the main display that supports HDR10+, at least in the US.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #6911 of 6967 Old 10-16-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ Profile 5 is what you get with Dolby Vision: TV Led in your OPPO 205.

The 205 also supports HDR10+ in the current firmware.
—Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Sorry, but the display has to support HDR10+ in order for it to work. And Sony does not support it. Neither does LG. Samsung is the main display that supports HDR10+, at least in the US.
Thanks to you both. It looks like there is no need for me to get the Panasonic UB 820 4K player. I had the feeling that to get HDR 10+ you would need both the player and the TV to support it. Also if I understand you correctly Bob I should choose TV Led in the Oppo 205 if I want Profile 5. I would have thought that I should choose Player Led but I will check to see how both options look along with the Auto to compare how all 3 choices look.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6912 of 6967 Old 10-17-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks to you both. It looks like there is no need for me to get the Panasonic UB 820 4K player. I had the feeling that to get HDR 10+ you would need both the player and the TV to support it. Also if I understand you correctly Bob I should choose TV Led in the Oppo 205 if I want Profile 5. I would have thought that I should choose Player Led but I will check to see how both options look along with the Auto to compare how all 3 choices look.
Another reason I was considering getting the Panasonic UB 820 4K player is that under HDR/Dolby Vision settings it has a specific setting that you select for OLED TV's.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6913 of 6967 Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Another reason I was considering getting the Panasonic UB 820 4K player is that.....
With respect. How about asking your questions about the Panasonic players within the forums dedicated Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread...

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #6914 of 6967 Old 10-18-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
With respect. How about asking your questions about the Panasonic players within the forums dedicated Official Panasonic DP-UB820/824 Owner's Thread...

Cheers
With all due respect my last quote was not a question but a statement that I thought was interesting about there Dolby Vision menu choices as compared to the Oppo's menu choices for Dolby Vision. It was more intended as a follow up to to an original question I had asked Bob Pariseau regarding if the Oppo 205 does profile 5 for Dolby Vision and and what selection should I choose of the three options in the 205's menu for Dolby Vision. Anyway no worries, I won't be talking about this any more here and will direct any further questions to the Panasonic forum.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6915 of 6967 Old 10-20-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
many people in the Sony TV forums are complaining about dimness of Dolby Vision
This is way overblown, at least with the Sony A9G. Most don't find it dim at all. And if you read through the A9G thread, most complaints seem to be with the A9G paired with Apple TV. It may be more true with their LCDs and last year's A9F.

post #6916 of 6967 Old 10-20-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
^ MQA decoding is not selectable in the 205. It happens automatically. That's for the ANALOG outputs.

If you listen on HDMI output, for example, as best I can tell you are not hearing the MQA decode.

However be aware that playing the disc like a regular CD is a bit of a biased comparison. That is, the 44.1kHz 16-bit data on the disc (same as a CD) actually uses 3 bits to hold the MQA encoding. So played as a CD, you don't get the "best" a regular CD might do with this master.
--Bob
Greetings, Bob. I recently saw a youtube video on MQA-CDs, and was intrigued to see that the 205 could do the unfolding. I am considering buying the sampler discs that are available, but your comment seems to imply there is no reason to bother with physical MQA discs, and that it is really more suited to high-rez streaming due to its compression technology. Yes?
post #6917 of 6967 Old 10-21-2019, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is way overblown, at least with the Sony A9G. Most don't find it dim at all. And if you read through the A9G thread, most complaints seem to be with the A9G paired with Apple TV. It may be more true with their LCDs and last year's A9F.
Thanks Bill, to be honest I have only read about the last 10 Pages and the the first few pages of the A9G forum and you are right, most of the complaints have been with the Apple TV. Anyway I will know soon enough as I am getting the A9G tomorrow morning. I know I have not had any issues with my Sony Z9D with Dolby Vision and I have actually had the setting in the Oppo for Dolby Vision set to Auto as opposed to Player led. Bob Pariseau mentioned that there is a bug with the Auto selection so I have changed it to the Player Led option. All this time I had it set to Auto and as far as I know I am getting Dolby Vision or at least I am seeing the Dolby Vision badge on my TV. With the supposed bug with the Auto selection In the Oppo settings menu for Dolby Vision maybe I have been just getting HDR 10 even though I see the Dolby Vision badge both when I am watching a DV disc or a Netflix show that has Dolby Vision.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro

Last edited by mt14942; 10-21-2019 at 01:31 AM.
post #6918 of 6967 Old 10-21-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks Bill, to be honest I have only read about the last 10 Pages and the the first few pages of the A9G forum and you are right, most of the complaints have been with the Apple TV. Anyway I will know soon enough as I am getting the A9G tomorrow morning. I know I have not had any issues with my Sony Z9D with Dolby Vision and I have actually had the setting in the Oppo for Dolby Vision set to Auto as opposed to Player led. Bob Pariseau mentioned that there is a bug with the Auto selection so I have changed it to the Player Led option. All this time I had it set to Auto and as far as I know I am getting Dolby Vision or at least I am seeing the Dolby Vision badge on my TV. With the supposed bug with the Auto selection In the Oppo settings menu for Dolby Vision maybe I have been just getting HDR 10 even though I see the Dolby Vision badge both when I am watching a DV disc or a Netflix show that has Dolby Vision.
If you are seeing "Dolby Vision" on your display, it is getting DV. And I though Bob wrote to use "TV Led" with the 205 and Sony display given the possible bug (maybe Bob can clarify). But when you get the A9G, I would simply use the internal Netflix app for streaming. The internal app works great, with ARC for sending the audio to the Oppo 205, which in turn is sent to my preamp. Just make sure you turn on "Bravia Sync" and "eARC" to Auto on the A9G, and turn on "CEC" on the 205.

post #6919 of 6967 Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post
Greetings, Bob. I recently saw a youtube video on MQA-CDs, and was intrigued to see that the 205 could do the unfolding. I am considering buying the sampler discs that are available, but your comment seems to imply there is no reason to bother with physical MQA discs, and that it is really more suited to high-rez streaming due to its compression technology. Yes?
I compared an MQA Queen disc played on my 205 with the same Queen red book CD (same remastering was used for both discs), and could not hear any difference. Others have reported the same in other forums. IMO, it is not worth replacing what you already have with MQA material, at least if using the same remastering job.

I think what Bob was saying about physical media vs. streaming is that if you play an MQA-encoded physical disc on a regular CD player that doesn't decode MQA, it may not sound as good as a regular red book CD. BUt if you play the physical MQA disc on a player that does decode MQA (such as the 205), it should sound the same as streamed MQA.

Last edited by BillP; 10-21-2019 at 06:35 AM.
post #6920 of 6967 Old 10-21-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you are seeing "Dolby Vision" on your display, it is getting DV. And I though Bob wrote to use "TV Led" with the 205 and Sony display given the possible bug (maybe Bob can clarify). But when you get the A9G, I would simply use the internal Netflix app for streaming. The internal app works great, with ARC for sending the audio to the Oppo 205, which in turn is sent to my preamp. Just make sure you turn on "Bravia Sync" and "eARC" to Auto on the A9G, and turn on "CEC" on the 205.
Thanks Bill. Actually Bob corrected his original post regarding this and changed it to Player Led as both my Sony Z9D and the A9G need to be fed Profile 5. As for the eARC feature on the A9G because my Clase SSP-800 pre/pro is 9 years old it is not ARC capable I assumed it would also not be eARC capable. I am really not up to speed on this feature and haven't bothered to research how it works as compared to regular ARC because my pre/pro can't do ARC. Is there something different about eARC that's different and would make it work on my pre/pro?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6921 of 6967 Old 10-21-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
As for the eARC feature on the A9G because my Clase SSP-800 pre/pro is 9 years old it is not ARC capable I assumed it would also not be eARC capable. I am really not up to speed on this feature and haven't bothered to research how it works as compared to regular ARC because my pre/pro can't do ARC. Is there something different about eARC that's different and would make it work on my pre/pro?
You can do what I do. When using the internal Netflix app from your A9G, you can send ARC from your A9G to your Oppo 205, and can then send the audio from your 205 to your pre/pro. Simply connect your Premium Certified HDMI cord from the HDMI 3 input of the A9G (the eARC HDMI input) to HDMI 1 output of the 205. Then toggle to "ARC" using the Input button on the 205 remote.

Last edited by BillP; 10-21-2019 at 07:38 AM.
post #6922 of 6967 Old 10-21-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can do what I do. When using the internal Netflix app from your A9G, you can send ARC from your A9G to your Oppo 205, and can then send the audio from your 205 to your pre/pro. Simply connect your Premium Certified HDMI cord from the HDMI 3 input of the A9G (the eARC HDMI input) to HDMI 1 output of the 205. Then toggle to "ARC" using the Input button on the 205 remote.
Thanks again Bill for your patience. I didn't mean for you to have to repeat yourself as I should have read your previous post more carefully where you told me what to do to use the e-ARC feature with my older pre/pro that doesn't support regular ARC. After I re-read your post I decided this would be a good time to go back and refresh my memory of how I have my Oppo player and my DTV hooked up to my current Sony Z9D since tomorrow morning I am suppose to get delivery of the Sony A9G. So obviously I use the dual HDMI out connections from Oppo because my older pre/pro is not able to pass 4K/HDR with one HDMI directly from the Oppo to the pre/pro for the audio and one directly to the TV for video. I also have an optical connection from the TV to the pre/pro and I was surprised that one connection gives me DD 3:2.1 res 48k, per my read-out on my the pre/pro's display, for my DTV, OTA antennae and all the Netflix and Prime streaming apps. I do have one question I know there's a lot of Dolby Digital Plus audio on Netflix and possibly Amazon Prime shows but I am only getting regular Dolby Digital 3:2.1. If I was connected via a certified HDMI cable from the HDMI 3 e-ARC output on the TV Into the one Oppo input and than toggle to ARC/HDMI 3 using the input button on the OPPO as you suggested would that connection you suggested get me DD+ audio? Also would this have worked with regular ARC as well as e-ARC or is this the difference between the two? Actually this is where I"m a little confused for some reason I thought I would be selecting the HDMI 3 from the TV's input button. Since I have never used the Oppo HDMI input before I must of just skipped over it in there menu so I will need to go back into there set-up menu to check for that.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro

Last edited by mt14942; 10-21-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #6923 of 6967 Old 10-21-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks again Bill for your patience. I didn't mean for you to have to repeat yourself as I should have read your previous post more carefully where you told me what to do to use the e-ARC feature with my older pre/pro that doesn't support regular ARC. After I re-read your post I decided this would be a good time to go back and refresh my memory of how I have my Oppo player and my DTV hooked up to my current Sony Z9D since tomorrow morning I am suppose to get delivery of the Sony A9G. So obviously I use the dual HDMI out connections from Oppo because my older pre/pro is not able to pass 4K/HDR with one HDMI directly from the Oppo to the pre/pro for the audio and one directly to the TV for video. I also have an optical connection from the TV to the pre/pro and I was surprised that one connection gives me DD 3:2.1 res 48k, per my read-out on my the pre/pro's display, for my DTV, OTA antennae and all the Netflix and Prime streaming apps. I do have one question I know there's a lot of Dolby Digital Plus audio on Netflix and possibly Amazon Prime shows but I am only getting regular Dolby Digital 3:2.1. If I was connected via a certified HDMI cable from the HDMI 3 e-ARC output on the TV Into the one Oppo input and than toggle to ARC/HDMI 3 using the input button on the OPPO as you suggested would that connection you suggested get me DD+ audio? Also would this have worked with regular ARC as well as e-ARC or is this the difference between the two? Actually this is where I"m a little confused for some reason I thought I would be selecting the HDMI 3 from the TV's input button. Since I have never used the Oppo HDMI input before I must of just skipped over it in there menu so I will need to go back into there set-up menu to check for that.
For your new 4k display, make sure to use Premium Certified HDMI cables, with the logo as seen in the link below.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Also make sure the HDMI cable to the HDMI input #3 of the A9G is connected to the Main HDMI output of the Oppo 205, and the HDMI cable to your pre/pro is connected to the Audio Only HDMI output of the 205.
Note that you will be using ARC, not eARC, between the A9G and the 205. That is why you need CEC turned "On" in the 205 and Bravia Sync turned on in the A9G. The Oppo supports ARC but not eARC.
And yes, I believe audio is limited via optical connection but not HDMI connection.

Last edited by BillP; 10-21-2019 at 05:52 PM.
post #6924 of 6967 Old 10-22-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For your new 4k display, make sure to use Premium Certified HDMI cables, with the logo as seen in the link below.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Also make sure the HDMI cable to the HDMI input #3 of the A9G is connected to the Main HDMI output of the Oppo 205, and the HDMI cable to your pre/pro is connected to the Audio Only HDMI output of the 205.
Note that you will be using ARC, not eARC, between the A9G and the 205. That is why you need CEC turned "On" in the 205 and Bravia Sync turned on in the A9G. The Oppo supports ARC but not eARC.
And yes, I believe audio is limited via optical connection but not HDMI connection.
Thanks again for that info. All this time I have had the Opp205 and I never took advantage of this useful feature. So todays the big day, I get my A9G and of course this morning when I was browsing the YouTube app I wound up watching Vincent's video on the London blind shootout of four top TV's. Of course the A9G didn't fair to well, actually LG's C9 won. At least the A9G beatout Samsung.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #6925 of 6967 Old 10-22-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for that info. All this time I have had the Opp205 and I never took advantage of this useful feature. So todays the big day, I get my A9G and of course this morning when I was browsing the YouTube app I wound up watching Vincent's video on the London blind shootout of four top TV's. Of course the A9G didn't fair to well, actually LG's C9 won. At least the A9G beatout Samsung.
And the A9G beat out the C9 in the US shoot-out. IMO, it depends on how you use the display. Since I don't game, and since most of my viewing is SDR (BluRay discs and TV broadcasts), the A9G was a better choice for me due to the better upscaling and better motion handling. If you're a heavy gamer or watch mostly 4k, maybe the C9 would be a good choice, especially given the price differential. Most experts in the US consider the A9G the better display.

post #6926 of 6967 Old 10-23-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And the A9G beat out the C9 in the US shoot-out. IMO, it depends on how you use the display. Since I don't game, and since most of my viewing is SDR (BluRay discs and TV broadcasts), the A9G was a better choice for me due to the better upscaling and better motion handling. If you're a heavy gamer or watch mostly 4k, maybe the C9 would be a good choice, especially given the price differential. Most experts in the US consider the A9G the better display.
Wow Bill, you have a lot of the same a/v gear as I do, never paid attention to the bottom of your posts until now, and you also have the A9G. Actually I agree with you as far as how you are going to use the TV, that should be the number one consideration. Like you I don't game and most of my viewing is like yours. Last night I was watching a movie on HBO called Glass in 1080I from DirecTV and the upscaling from Sony's processor made the picture look really good (not so much the movie) I think it may be even bettor than Z9D, it certainly navigates the menus faster. I also watched a netflix show that was 4K DV and accidentally discovered the Netflix Optimizer picture mode, It certainly seemed to sharpen up the picture. It didn't seem like you can make any adjustments in that picture mode. See you on the A9G forum.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro

Last edited by mt14942; 10-23-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #6927 of 6967 Old 10-26-2019, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
RCA + XLR connection

Hi All,

Any chance to connect UDP-205 with stereo RCA AND XLR connections to switch between them afterwards depending on which up-system to use (AVR or pre-amp stereo)?

Thanks for advice!

/Tim
post #6928 of 6967 Old 10-26-2019, 04:08 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Nepomnjachy View Post
Hi All,

Any chance to connect UDP-205 with stereo RCA AND XLR connections to switch between them afterwards depending on which up-system to use (AVR or pre-amp stereo)?

Thanks for advice!

/Tim
Both sets of outputs are always active on the Oppo, so just turn your AVR or preamp on as desired.
post #6929 of 6967 Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi guys, I have been lurking on these forums for years, this is my first post here.
I am a lucky owner of a Oppo 205, I was lucky to get one of the last ones. It has have very little use so far, I mostly use it for 5.1 analog output and CD/SACD.
I am about to upgrade my TV to a 4K however, so here is my question.
The TV I am leaning toward is the LG 75"SM9070. It has HDMI 2.1, but the OPPO has HDMI 2.0.
Will that be a problem, is the 2.1 backward compatible?
I could get a Sony or Samsung with 2.0, I really don't need 2.1, I am not a gamer or even a vidiophile, I am mostly about 80% audiophile and 20% 5.1 movies. The LG just seems to offer the most for the right price.

Also, will one HDMI cable from the oppo to the TV handle both video out to the TV, and the ARC return from the TV, or i will need a separate one from the TV to the HDMI IN on the oppo ?

My old 60" Sharp Aquos still looks great, but I just can't hold out any longer. ☺️
post #6930 of 6967 Old 10-30-2019, 05:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4676 Post(s)
Liked: 4550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Blissett View Post
Will that be a problem, is the 2.1 backward compatible?
It will not be a problem.

Quote:
Also, will one HDMI cable from the oppo to the TV handle both video out to the TV, and the ARC return from the TV, or i will need a separate one from the TV to the HDMI IN on the oppo ?
ARC is handled through 1 cable, the HDMI1 Output of the OPPO. The HDMI Input is for a different purpose.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page