Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 233 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4159Likes

post #6961 of 7044 Old 11-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Blissett View Post
Hi Bob,
So you are saying that this new hdmi bypass option will alow me to use the same hdmi in port, but in bypass ?
So why is that needed ? And if its then not a hdmi connection, then what is it ?
I have not seen that on my 205 yet, but I will go look. I use hdmi in, with a Roku stick and it works great.
Thanks for your enlightenment.
From the hardware point of view there is just one HDMI Input socket.

In the past, you told the player to use that socket by pressing Input button on the Remote and selecting the HDMI Input choice from the pop up list presented. That choice is still there, and is the one you would normally use.

The new HDMI Bypass choice, now added to that pop up, is primarily there to let Dolby Vision content work through the HDMI Input. Dolby Vision is a special format which can not be processed without mucking it up, and the normal HDMI Input choice used a path through the video processing hardware which mucked it up.

So now you have two ways to tell the player to listen on that HDMI Input socket: Press Input and select either the original HDMI Input choice (this would be the normal way to go) or the new HDMI Bypass choice (definitely pick this one if you want to play Dolby Vision content into that Input).

HDMI Bypass pretty much makes the player transparent to the video signal. As a consequence you LOSE some things you might not expect to lose -- mainly the on-screen overlays for things like Info displays and the Setup menu. Even the Input button pop up menu itself goes away (but you can still make your selection via the text in the Front Panel Display). You also lose some things you WOULD expect to lose, such as the ability to alter the video (e.g., Brightness control).

So now, any time people have some sort of problem using HDMI Input, it is pretty common for people to ask, "Have you tried seeing if HDMI Bypass helps?"
--Bob
BillP, Bill Mac and kennyboy2 like this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 7044 Old 11-12-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 390
FYI, Oppo tech support confirmed that the "Trigger Input" will act to turn power on and off through a pre-pro with no additional settings required.
post #6963 of 7044 Old 11-15-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 98
hey fellas, I have a question for y'all.. I'd like to pick up the region 2 bluray of Northern Exposure. Is the 205 region free after some updates or do I have to mod it? If so, any mods you would recommend to do this?

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6964 of 7044 Old 11-15-2019, 11:00 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4687 Post(s)
Liked: 4562
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post
hey fellas, I have a question for y'all.. I'd like to pick up the region 2 bluray of Northern Exposure. Is the 205 region free after some updates or do I have to mod it? If so, any mods you would recommend to do this?
For Blu-ray you'll need a hardware mod, or perform a backup operation on a computer that removes region coding.

See the FAQ for hardware mod links: Region Free Modifications.

-Bill
SteroMAdMAn likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #6965 of 7044 Old 11-15-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
For Blu-ray you'll need a hardware mod, or perform a backup operation on a computer that removes region coding.

See the FAQ for hardware mod links: Region Free Modifications.

-Bill
Thanks for the link Bill, those prices may not make this economical.. Darn, was really looking forward to that series and original music on bluray.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #6966 of 7044 Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 305
In trying to set levels for surround with the 205 I realized I've previously used the Bryston SP3 for that -- it generates white noise rather than tones. I've been unable to select test tone in the set up menu, but I can specify details about the speaker arrangement. Is there a trick I'm missing? The manual is a bit vague.

I've begun thinking about going back to the SP3, although some claim the newer DAC of the 205 is superior to that of the SP3. That's for HT. For stereo I use Ethernet from Roon to an Ayre QX-5 digital hub or an Arye DX-5 DSD disc player.
post #6967 of 7044 Old 11-15-2019, 11:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
Liked: 8335
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
In trying to set levels for surround with the 205 I realized I've previously used the Bryston SP3 for that -- it generates white noise rather than tones. I've been unable to select test tone in the set up menu, but I can specify details about the speaker arrangement. Is there a trick I'm missing? The manual is a bit vague.

I've begun thinking about going back to the SP3, although some claim the newer DAC of the 205 is superior to that of the SP3. That's for HT. For stereo I use Ethernet from Roon to an Ayre QX-5 digital hub or an Arye DX-5 DSD disc player.
The player's built in Test Tones only play on the Analog outputs.

Selecting to play the Test Tones will be grayed out if the player is set to play any other content. The most common problem here is you've left a disc in the Tray.

So get the player to its Home menu (with the artwork and choice icons), make sure you have no disc in the Tray, and try again to use the Test Tones.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #6968 of 7044 Old 11-20-2019, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Edit: I've read that some have lost the option for gapless playback when updating to the latest FW. Is this cause for concern or an isolated issue?

I am interested in an answer to this too, as I have done a little rummaging in the thread and am still uncertain. My 205 has been updated to UDP20X-60-0625, which I think was the update-before-last. After reading one report of ALAC multichannel no longer working with the last update (Feb 2019), I waited.

I have found that some rips I have done to FLAC tracks (separate track files) have glitching or skipping problems in gapless playback that are _not_ a problem when I turn off gapless play. Oddly, it doesn't seem to happen on all tracks, or all of the time. The rip itself could be the problem, but it's still curious that the problem disappears when gapless is turned off.
post #6969 of 7044 Old 11-23-2019, 05:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is my understanding of methods which will or will not get gapless:

Network connection plays stereo and multi-channel to RCA stereo and multi-channel terminals and is not gapless.

usb B DAC, optical, and coaxial S/PDIF connections play stereo music gaplessly to stereo and multi-channel RCA terminals.

usb drive inputs (2) on back panel and (1) on front panel play stereo and multi-channel music gaplessly to stereo and multi-channel RCA terminals. Multi-channel tested is from a FLAC download and this download is accessed from Folder in Music Directory. Music, Playlists, etc will not deliver gapless. I have not tested other formats. What other Multi-channel download formats will yield gapless, i.e. AIFF, ALAC, etc?

Is my understanding correct? It is the experience I've noticed so far. I have not used HDMI for audio pleasure, only connection to TV.

Last edited by csludwig2; 11-23-2019 at 07:51 AM.
post #6970 of 7044 Old 11-23-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchez au grisbi View Post
I am interested in an answer to this too, as I have done a little rummaging in the thread and am still uncertain. My 205 has been updated to UDP20X-60-0625, which I think was the update-before-last. After reading one report of ALAC multichannel no longer working with the last update (Feb 2019), I waited.

I have found that some rips I have done to FLAC tracks (separate track files) have glitching or skipping problems in gapless playback that are _not_ a problem when I turn off gapless play. Oddly, it doesn't seem to happen on all tracks, or all of the time. The rip itself could be the problem, but it's still curious that the problem disappears when gapless is turned off.
I have the latest firmware, the one which decodes MQA. I only have multi-channel FLAC downloads from Acoustic Sounds. This morning I enjoyed The Seattle Symphony's version of The Firebird gaplessly in multi-channel via OPPO front usb drive port. I heard about the download precluding gapless from another format, can't remember which one though. In my earlier post today I mentioned what inputs deliver gapless and what does not. Also, to enjoy gapless from usb drive inputs I have found I need to start from Folders in Music Directory rather than Songs, Artists, Albums, Genres, or Playlist, which will play but not gaplessly.
Touchez au grisbi likes this.
post #6971 of 7044 Old 11-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csludwig2 View Post
[...]Also, to enjoy gapless from usb drive inputs I have found I need to start from Folders in Music Directory rather than Songs, Artists, Albums, Genres, or Playlist, which will play but not gaplessly.

Thanks for that helpful reply, csludwig. For the moment my needs are quite simple, usually playing back files from an external drive through USB, virtually always flac, and never multichannel. (I'd only mentioned the ALAC multichannel earlier because I remembered reading another board member's complaint after updating their 205.)

I think I will go ahead and adopt the newest ~Feb 2019 update. Cheers!
post #6972 of 7044 Old 11-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchez au grisbi View Post
Thanks for that helpful reply, csludwig. For the moment my needs are quite simple, usually playing back files from an external drive through USB, virtually always flac, and never multichannel. (I'd only mentioned the ALAC multichannel earlier because I remembered reading another board member's complaint after updating their 205.)

I think I will go ahead and adopt the newest ~Feb 2019 update. Cheers!
I had some anxiety installing the latest firmware, the one which decodes MQA. It was about not being able to access a Window to click some sort of command as I recall. Someone on another forum helped me get it done. I wish I could help you but I do not know how, since I did not write down the sequence of actions necessary. At any rate, the latest Main Version:UDP20X-65-0131, and the latest DAC Version: USB-0118. It was getting the DAC Version that was difficult, not enough instructions. Also, OPPO says if the user has no interest in MQA via usb there's no need for the update. Let me know how it goes.
post #6973 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello all, I'm at my dad's for the holidays and trying to help him with his setup.

He has LG B6, Oppo 205 (connected to HDMI 2), and Apple TV (connected to HDMI 3), amps, ML 5.1, Bose soundbar (optical audio to the TV), no receiver.

He would like to be able to toggle the sound output while watching this from the Apple TV.

I've never set up ARC, and I'm not having any success.

Essentially, he wants to run through the soundbar while watching sports and the like, and then ARC back through the Oppo to use the 5.1 when he's watching movies from the Apple TV.

I have selected Audio out (Optical/HDMI ARC) as the output from the LG, and the sound continues to play from the optical Bose, but does not also play back through the Oppo. SIMPLINK is enabled on the LG.

Any help, super appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG
post #6974 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 11:37 AM

10 char del

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG

Last edited by Meetloaf13; 11-27-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #6975 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetloaf13 View Post
Hello all, I'm at my dad's for the holidays and trying to help him with his setup.

He has LG B6, Oppo 205 (connected to HDMI 2), and Apple TV (connected to HDMI 3), amps, ML 5.1, Bose soundbar (optical audio to the TV), no receiver.

He would like to be able to toggle the sound output while watching this from the Apple TV.

Essentially, he wants to run through the soundbar while watching sports and the like, and then ARC back through the Oppo to use the 5.1 when he's watching movies from the Apple TV.

I have selected Audio out (Optical/HDMI ARC) as the output from the LG, and the sound continues to play from the optical Bose, but does not also play back through the Oppo. SIMPLINK is enabled on the LG.

What’s “amps” and why optical?
post #6976 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

Not familiar with the LG, but make sure the hdmi that says ARC on the LG, is connected to the Oppo main hdmi out, not hdmi in.
On my setup, when my Samsung TV is on, and I turn the Oppo on, they automatically sync up and I can pass the audio through the Oppo to my preamp or wherever I want it.
The optical out from the TV also works simultaneously to my preamp, or in your case the soundbar.
Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #6977 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the tips, I had checked all those boxes, but something goofy is happening.

Do you have CEC on, on the Oppo? I don't, and yet when I change the input of the Oppo to ARC, my TV automatically switches to HDMI 2 (Oppo).

And then the Oppo goes back to the home screen.

post #6978 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I had checked all those boxes, but something goofy is happening.

Do you have CEC on, on the Oppo? I don't, and yet when I change the input of the Oppo to ARC, my TV automatically switches to HDMI 2 (Oppo).

And then the Oppo goes back to the home screen.

You must have CEC "On" in order for ARC to work.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #6979 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
You must have CEC "On" in order for ARC to work.
I was able to get it working by doing the following. Turning CEC off on the Oppo, off on the TV, switching input to ARC in Oppo, the TV input to Apple TV, then going into sound settings TV, selecting Optical/HDMI, then turning CEC on on TV only.

At a movie now, but I'll try and recreate...a bit of a headache.

post #6980 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 07:40 PM

Confirmed, I have to start with CEC off on LG, then switxh to ARC input on Oppo, then Apple TV input on TV, then select ARC output on LG, then CEC on, then keep selecting ARC output on LG until connection is made.

What a nightmare. Totally unusable.

If I leave CEC on, then when I change the Oppo to ARC input, then the LG switches inputs to Oppo presumably because of the input change, and then the Oppo senses the input change on the TV and puts the input back to to the Home Screen. That becomes an infinite loop when trying to get back to the Apple TV and passing sound via ARC.

post #6981 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Confirmed, I have to start with CEC off on LG, then switxh to ARC input on Oppo, then Apple TV input on TV, then select ARC output on LG, then CEC on, then keep selecting ARC output on LG until connection is made.

What a nightmare. Totally unusable.

If I leave CEC on, then when I change the Oppo to ARC input, then the LG switches inputs to Oppo presumably because of the input change, and then the Oppo senses the input change on the TV and puts the input back to to the Home Screen. That becomes an infinite loop when trying to get back to the Apple TV and passing sound via ARC.

Well only other suggestions I have is to make sure you are using a hdmi 2.0 cable that supports ARC, a make sure you firmware is up to date on both units. Either one can cause issues.
post #6982 of 7044 Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Blissett View Post
Well only other suggestions I have is to make sure you are using a hdmi 2.0 cable that supports ARC, a make sure you firmware is up to date on both units. Either one can cause issues.
Thanks, firmware on Oppo is current, I'll check the LG.

The cable does support ARC, it's a $60 monster cable purchased last year, plus it is working, just have to jump through serious hoops to get it to run.

post #6983 of 7044 Old 11-28-2019, 07:19 AM

I connected HDMI output from PC to OPPO and played some 6 channel music from Foobar. I am noticing the playback is not glitch free. That's to say, every few minutes there's a splice like elimination of a partial note or two. What's up with this? What settings in Foobar, Windows, OPPO Driver, or OPPO settings need to be corrected? BTW, I also played from iTunes some 2 channel music via HDMI and same problem.
post #6984 of 7044 Old 11-30-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Audio Issues Using 4K Fire Stick

Fire Stick 4K sound issues. My Amazon Fire Stick 4K is connected to my Oppo via its HDMI input and the Oppo outputs via HDMI to my ARCAM AVR 750. If I use the default Best Available audio setting for surround sound, all is good with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. When Dolby Digital + is output from Netflix, for example, my ARCAM detects it as DD + and decodes it properly. However, navigation sounds are muted as is Amazon Music. When I changed the surround sound setting to always output dolby digital, navigation sounds return and Amazon Music is no longer muted (but the sound seems rather “boomy”.) When I switch to Netflix, all content is now output as DD standard! I lose DD +. Is there any way that I can output DD + from apps that support it like Netflix without compromising navigation sounds and Amazon Music short of constantly tinkering with the surround sound settings on the Fire Stick 4K?

By the way, my regular fire stick worked flawlessly with my 205 using the Dolby Digital + automatic setting. I phoned Amazon and they pretty much told me that I am not going to be able to make the 4K stick work with the Oppo without changing the audio surround sound settings on the stick when I change apps which is very inconvenient. Is there a setting on the Oppo that will make it play well with my 4K Fire Stick?

Last edited by kennyboy2; 12-01-2019 at 05:46 AM.
post #6985 of 7044 Old 12-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Is the oppo bd-205 capable to stream Amazon Music HD via laptop Windows 10 usb out to usb dac in of the oppoo?
I couldn't find information on this in a Google search nor in the manual. For some reason, the search box disappears within a second before I have a chance to type my search words.
post #6986 of 7044 Old 12-01-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprzybilla View Post
Is the oppo bd-205 capable to stream Amazon Music HD via laptop Windows 10 usb out to usb dac in of the oppoo?
I couldn't find information on this in a Google search nor in the manual. For some reason, the search box disappears within a second before I have a chance to type my search words.
Shouldn’t be an issue
post #6987 of 7044 Old 12-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Shouldn’t be an issue
I went ahead and connected the laptop to the OPPO, my laptop showed it recognized the OPPO, went into the laptop 's Sound setting & set it to 24/192, I attempted to play a flac from the inserted thumb drive, no sound, I opened the Amazon Music app, hit the play button but there was no sound here neither.

I guess I'm going about this blindly since I'm not able to find any instructions for this procedure. I have been using the heos app to stream music to my Marantz SR~7011 but have been hoping to take advantage of the oppo's dac.
post #6988 of 7044 Old 12-01-2019, 03:23 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprzybilla View Post
I went ahead and connected the laptop to the OPPO, my laptop showed it recognized the OPPO, went into the laptop 's Sound setting & set it to 24/192, I attempted to play a flac from the inserted thumb drive, no sound, I opened the Amazon Music app, hit the play button but there was no sound here neither.

I guess I'm going about this blindly since I'm not able to find any instructions for this procedure. I have been using the heos app to stream music to my Marantz SR~7011 but have been hoping to take advantage of the oppo's dac.
Press the input button on the Oppo remote and select the USB Audio input...

You should also install the Windows 10 USB driver that Oppo provides (https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...5-Support.aspx).
vavan likes this.
post #6989 of 7044 Old 12-01-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

You should also install the Windows 10 USB driver that Oppo provides (https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...5-Support.aspx).
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this step. I'll go ahead with this.
post #6990 of 7044 Old 12-01-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

For Windows 10: software driver download link (version 3.34.0, released on 2/8/2017). Please double-click on the downloaded file, then follow the on-screen instructions to finish this installation. Select the OPPO UDP-205 as your sound output device by setting "Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Playback" to "OPPO UDP-205 USB Audio 2.0 DAC".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page