Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 235 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4159Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7021 of 7038 Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,633
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Not true. CD audio from the UDP-205 can be played over HDMI or the analog audio outputs. The USB DAC output is only available on the UDP-205's analog audio outputs, NOT HDMI.
There is no HDMI on the CD INPUT of the Marantz.

I’m saying if he picks an analog only input to use, then we’ll know that’s all it will play.

That’s why I suggested aux Input or something else.

I give up.
laserjock II is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7022 of 7038 Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,354
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
There is no HDMI on the CD INPUT of the Marantz.

I’m saying if he picks an analog only input to use, then we’ll know that’s all it will play.

That’s why I suggested aux Input or something else.

I give up.
If his AVR doesn’t have configurable inputs like other Marantz products, then that makes sense. On my AV8805 and many other Marantz products, HDMI ports can be assigned to any input, including the CD input.
gsr is online now  
post #7023 of 7038 Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,633
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If his AVR doesn’t have configurable inputs like other Marantz products, then that makes sense. On my AV8805 and many other Marantz products, HDMI ports can be assigned to any input, including the CD input.
I stand corrected if so but I’m saying by default, one of the other analog inputs that doesn’t have an HDMI associated in the labeling with it would be a good choice to try.

One of those easier to see in person troubleshooting efforts.

“And for that reason, I’m out..”
laserjock II is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7024 of 7038 Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quick question for clarification. I have my 205 plugged into my legacy AV/Processor (Rotel RSP-1098) using the analog outputs. The 205 is doing all of the surround sound processing since the Rotel doesn't have any HDMI inputs. This set up sounds great in my system. I have a new Roku Ultra streaming box that I will be plugging into the back HDMI input on the 205. How will the Oppo handle the sound coming in from the Roku when I am using the 7.1 analog outputs. Will I get whatever surround format is being passed from the Roku to the Oppo? Will the Oppo downmix it to stereo?

Regards,
Craig
Csmab9117 is offline  
post #7025 of 7038 Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,633
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmab9117 View Post
Quick question for clarification. I have my 205 plugged into my legacy AV/Processor (Rotel RSP-1098) using the analog outputs. The 205 is doing all of the surround sound processing since the Rotel doesn't have any HDMI inputs. This set up sounds great in my system. I have a new Roku Ultra streaming box that I will be plugging into the back HDMI input on the 205. How will the Oppo handle the sound coming in from the Roku when I am using the 7.1 analog outputs. Will I get whatever surround format is being passed from the Roku to the Oppo? Will the Oppo downmix it to stereo?

Regards,
Craig
You should get whatever the Roku Ultra program gives the Oppo DAC up to 7.1 channels
laserjock II is online now  
post #7026 of 7038 Old 12-05-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
You should get whatever the Roku Ultra program gives the Oppo DAC up to 7.1 channels
What he said. Mine is hooked up the same way.

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #7027 of 7038 Old 12-07-2019, 01:31 AM
Member
 
oniiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
"Unknown Disc" Error

My UDP-205 has become afflicted by the "Unknown Disc" error which is probably a symptom of laser failure but what is odd is that all discs seem to be unplayable, I resumed a problematic DVD disc that had problems being read at a certain point on the disc around the 40 min mark and when I placed it back in it tried to resume play and then immediately brought up "Unknown Disc". I've tried factory resetting many times but no such luck, I find it odd that the "Blue Laser" is also affected by this since I had only played one Bluray disc in it.

I also reflashed the same 54-1127 firmware file that my player currently has & it still claims Unknown Disc in the top right hand corner of the OPPO home menu screen.

I cannot believe a problematic DVD disc killed the whole optical laser pickup unit assembly in my 205 unit, extremely disappointed & frustrated that this could possibly happen with such a high end unit, I expected the optical laser pickup unit assembly to be much more robust & durable than this.
This "Unknown Disc" error has now been resolved after procrastinating for almost 3 months, don't ask me why
OPPO's customer service is really top shelf it will be sorely missed one day, they suggested one last thing to try which was to reload my optical loader unit's calibration data, I told them my serial number they provided me with a "barcode" ZIP folder with an option to "Repair Barcode" loaded it & then success, "Unknown Disc" message gone for good, disc playback restored.
It seems my laser pickup unit hadn't failed after all but it's loader data got seemingly corrupted, anyway I'm just so happy to be back in business.
oniiz is offline  
post #7028 of 7038 Old 12-07-2019, 08:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone know how to play iTunes through an OPPO 205? I have connected a USB cable between the MacBook and the unit. On The MacBook I selected the OPPO as the sound output device. Now what do I do on the OPPO? That is the big mystery. My only guess was to Select Music on the menu but it just says No Devices Found.
Frank Yingst is offline  
post #7029 of 7038 Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Yingst View Post
Anyone know how to play iTunes through an OPPO 205? I have connected a USB cable between the MacBook and the unit. On The MacBook I selected the OPPO as the sound output device. Now what do I do on the OPPO? That is the big mystery. My only guess was to Select Music on the menu but it just says No Devices Found.
If you have iTunes connected via usb B to OPPO DAC, just press remote's input button and scroll to usb input. That's it. Done! And the big plus with this connection is you can set the OPPO to sample at 24/192; thus, you can play downloaded hi-res from HDtracks, Acoustic Sounds and others. I've experimented with it and perceive with the OPPO set to 24/192, even AAC sounds better. The usb B connection sends stereo to both stereo and multi-channel terminals, it's glitch free, and gapless.
csludwig2 is online now  
post #7030 of 7038 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
ht guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Tone Mapping 101

...am I thinking of this correctly? That with the auto tone-mapping feature in the JVC X7 (RS2000) I could be ambivalent whether or not Oppo engineers ultimately provide that feature?
ht guy is offline  
post #7031 of 7038 Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
Member
 
leefarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you certain the USB DAC input passes to the multi-channel outs? I was under the impression the only way to utilize the multichannel DAC (other than with physical media) is through Ethernet via DLNA, or through HDMI.

Last edited by leefarber; Yesterday at 10:30 AM.
leefarber is offline  
post #7032 of 7038 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post
Are you certain the USB DAC input passes to the multi-channel outs? I was under the impression the only way to utilize the multichannel DAC (other than with physical media) is through Ethernet via DLNA, or through HDMI.
Yes, the usb B DAC sends stereo to both stereo and multi-channel terminals. This DAC does not decode multi-channel. The other DAC used via usb drive connection supports multi-channel, gapless, via HDMI connection supports multi-channel, gapless but is not glitch free, and via Network connection supports multi-channel but is not gapless. BTW, I am listening to iTunes from PC right now. iTunes is set to pass 24/192. OPPO is set to up sample input to 24/192. I have RCA stereo out from OPPO connected to Sony TA-E9000es. I have RCA multi-channel out from OPPO connected to Sony TA-P9000es. I can switch listening experience from one to the other. The only divergence is stereo sent to the TA-E9000es bass is managed by the Pre-Pro, and is exclusive to the OPPO for output to TA-P9000es.

Last edited by csludwig2; Yesterday at 10:42 AM.
csludwig2 is online now  
post #7033 of 7038 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
Member
 
leefarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just to be clear, I have my Mac Mini connected via USB to the 205 to use as a DAC for my music server (all my files are ALAC, but multichannel files are FLAC). I use both iTunes and JRiver. I thought with this setup, I’m limited to stereo playback with the 205’s DACs, and if I want to use the multichannel DACs, I need to feed the multichannel files to the 205 via Ethernet using JRiver’s DLNA server. The only downside to this setup is the lack of gapless playback.

Are you saying the 205 will act as a multichannel DAC via USB and I don’t have to use DLNA? I’d love to be able to play surround files gaplessly!
leefarber is offline  
post #7034 of 7038 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here's how I play multi-channel gaplessly: usb drives. There are two on OPPO's back panel and one on front panel. I typically just insert a thumb drive to front usb drive port to which I have copied multi-channel FLAC downloads from Acoustic Sounds. And, yes you can play multi-channel via Network but it is not gapless so it won't work to play some versions of The Firebird and other recordings. You can also play multi-channel music gaplessly via HDMI input from your PC but there are glitches or dropouts galore on music stored in FLAC format, no problem however with multi-channel movies via HDMI. At any rate, it seems the drive ports are best for multi-channel gapless music. For stereo download pleasure I have connected my PC to the OPPOs usb B port. From this connection I get the best stereo performances from AAC, ALAC, and AIFF in iTunes. Stereo music decoded by the OPPO is sent as I mentioned earlier to both stereo and multi channel terminals. From the multi-channel terminals however there is no low level bass directed to my sub. Instead the full frequency goes to my mains. I do not like that so I mostly listen to stereo from stereo terminals outputting to my Pre-Pro which manages bass. On the other hand, for multi-channel, the OPPO manages bass when in PCM setting. I send that output to an analog multi-channel preamp.

Last edited by csludwig2; Yesterday at 03:53 PM.
csludwig2 is online now  
post #7035 of 7038 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Member
 
leefarber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ah, I see. Yes, if you just plug a USB driver directly into the 205, you can play multichannel files. But I want to be able to use my Mac Mini server, so DLNA is the only solution, sacrificing gapless capability.

Also, the stereo setup you described above using bass management from your pre-pro means you are re-digitizing the signal, and thus losing the advantage of the 205’s superior DACs. The only way to use your sub to handle bass for stereo playback using the 205’s DACs is by using a sub such as a REL with a high level connection out of the amp. That’s what I do and it’s WONDERFUL!
leefarber is offline  
post #7036 of 7038 Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarber View Post
Ah, I see. Yes, if you just plug a USB driver directly into the 205, you can play multichannel files. But I want to be able to use my Mac Mini server, so DLNA is the only solution, sacrificing gapless capability.

Also, the stereo setup you described above using bass management from your pre-pro means you are re-digitizing the signal, and thus losing the advantage of the 205’s superior DACs. The only way to use your sub to handle bass for stereo playback using the 205’s DACs is by using a sub such as a REL with a high level connection out of the amp. That’s what I do and it’s WONDERFUL!
My Sony TA-E9000ES does not redigitize the signal in stereo mode from analog inputs. It allows sub preout to be turned on and be subject to filter, which I've set to 60Hz. I've also set the mains to crossover at 60 Hz. My sub is passive, a JBL B380 powered by Sony TA-N80ES in bridged mode at 560 watts operating at half gain.

Last edited by csludwig2; Today at 06:33 AM.
csludwig2 is online now  
post #7037 of 7038 Old Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I have had the 205 for over two years now but I had never used the Multi-channel analog outputs for 4K or bluray discs and had always used the HDMI until yesterday. I've just been lazy and never bothered to connect via the multi-channel analog outputs. I thought it sounded pretty good but I did notice a reduction in my Sub output. Also I read Bob Pariseau post regarding using the dedicated analog for the front right and left speakers to take advantage of the superior DAC for those two channels and decided not to go that route for fear of voice and volume level matching. Is this not the case when using the dedicated 2 channel analog outputs? I'm also curious if this is the preferred way to listen for 4K and bluray disc's among owners? I personally did like the way it sounded with the m/c analog outputs with the exception of the lack of sub output. Maybe that could be corrected with the subs level control but I haven't messed with that yet. I need to listen to a few more disc's and compare to see if If I prefer the analogs to the HDMI, but curious to hear what other user opinions are.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #7038 of 7038 Old Today, 08:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I have had the 205 for over two years now but I had never used the Multi-channel analog outputs for 4K or bluray discs and had always used the HDMI until yesterday. I've just been lazy and never bothered to connect via the multi-channel analog outputs. I thought it sounded pretty good but I did notice a reduction in my Sub output. Also I read Bob Pariseau post regarding using the dedicated analog for the front right and left speakers to take advantage of the superior DAC for those two channels and decided not to go that route for fear of voice and volume level matching. Is this not the case when using the dedicated 2 channel analog outputs? I'm also curious if this is the preferred way to listen for 4K and bluray disc's among owners? I personally did like the way it sounded with the m/c analog outputs with the exception of the lack of sub output. Maybe that could be corrected with the subs level control but I haven't messed with that yet. I need to listen to a few more disc's and compare to see if If I prefer the analogs to the HDMI, but curious to hear what other user opinions are.
Click Setup from Menu, scroll to Audio Processing>right click and scroll down to Speaker Configuration and click Enter> click onto a speaker and adjust Size, Distance and Trim. go to Next Speaker and when finished go to test tone. That's it. I have all speakers set to small and thus all give up bass at my 60Hz crossover selection, which you can set from 40 to 100Hz before you get into Speaker Configuration. Leaving speakers set to large they will needlessly be sent full frequency. Now, this bass management only works from multi-channel RCA out and OPPO set for PCM conversion. I do not use the dedicated stereo RCAs for multi-channel. They're connected to another Pre-Pro of mine.

Last edited by csludwig2; Today at 09:33 AM.
csludwig2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off