Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 236 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4163Likes

post #7051 of 7073 Old 12-18-2019, 05:48 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked: 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Bob mentioned that there was a Beta Firmware update that addresses the Dolby Vision problem where you have to set it to player led and not Auto because Auto has a bug. Is that firmware eventually going to released to everyone who has an Oppo 205?
You would have to ask OPPO.

If that is all it does I would just use the manual setting, like in the old days. It is not like the best value changes from day to day on your display.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 7073 Old 12-18-2019, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
HDMI 'IN' - all of a sudden quick working (syncing-connecting). I use it to connect Amazon Fire TV 4k for over a year without issue- now 'no go'! I reset the OPPO- but it still refuses to connect. Anyone experienced similar issue? I have the FireTV connected into my receiver- and there is nothing wrong with it. I will try connecting other HDMI source into it to confirm maybe where problem is originating.
post #7053 of 7073 Old 12-19-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You would have to ask OPPO.

If that is all it does I would just use the manual setting, like in the old days. It is not like the best value changes from day to day on your display.

-Bill
Thanks Bill. I am afraid that since Oppo is not making these players anymore they may not be doing anymore firmware updates. In any case like you said I can just set it manually to Player Led since I have a Sony TV.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7054 of 7073 Old 12-20-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I did download a couple of sound meters to my phone but not sure whats the best way to use it? Do I aim at the the individual speakers from my sitting area or do I hold it 3 feet from each of the speakers?
Thanks.
Use the sound pressure meter from your listening position.
post #7055 of 7073 Old 12-21-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by csludwig2 View Post
Use the sound pressure meter from your listening position.
I thought that would be the obvious case, but didn't want to just assume. Thanks again for bringing that Diana Krall Love Scenes m/c SACD to my attention, a great disc for dialing in the Sub. One major difference I found when using the m/c analog outputs from this player vs. using HDMI is that it is at least 5 dB higher volume so I brought the volume down accordingly.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 12-21-2019 at 03:29 PM.
post #7056 of 7073 Old 12-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Resolved: USB DAC to AVR connection problem

Solved by Oppo Tech Support: "the USB DAC Input on the player can only output via analog outputs. If you are using a HDMI connection from the player for audio, you will not receive audio from the USB DAC Input."

My Oppo 205 USB DAC stopped working. 2018 MBP, running Mojave, connected to the Oppo USB DAC. Oppo's 'Up-sample DAC Input' is On and my MBP's Audi Mini Setup shows the Oppo 205 as the chosen Audio Device. In System Preference 'Sound' I've chosen the Oppo 205 as the output. The Oppo is connected to my Denon x3600h via HDMI and the avr shows that the UDP-205 as the chosen source. The player is Audirvana+ and its Preference>General shows the Preferred Audio Device as the UDP-Oppo 205 and that it's the active audio device. I also tried iTunes and still no audio. Volume is set to max on the Oppo, Audirvana, and MBP and I checked to make sure no Mutes were engaged on any of the devices and that the Oppo USB IN input was selected. I also tried a different USB B cable that I know is working. Finally, I unplugged the Oppo to reset it.
Any idea on what's gone wrong and what I should do to check if the USB DAC is the problem?
For source material I tried aiff files on my MBP HD played through Audirvana as well as streamed music via Qobuz. I'm stumped!

Last edited by BN08; 12-23-2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Resolved issue
post #7057 of 7073 Old 12-23-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN08 View Post
My Oppo 205 USB DAC stopped working. 2018 MBP, running Mojave, connected to the Oppo USB DAC. Oppo's 'Up-sample DAC Input' is On and my MBP's Audi Mini Setup shows the Oppo 205 as the chosen Audio Device. In System Preference 'Sound' I've chosen the Oppo 205 as the output. The Oppo is connected to my Denon x3600h via HDMI and the avr shows that the UDP-205 as the chosen source. The player is Audirvana+ and its Preference>General shows the Preferred Audio Device as the UDP-Oppo 205 and that it's the active audio device. I also tried iTunes and still no audio. Volume is set to max on the Oppo, Audirvana, and MBP and I checked to make sure no Mutes were engaged on any of the devices and that the Oppo USB IN input was selected. I also tried a different USB B cable that I know is working. Finally, I unplugged the Oppo to reset it.
Any idea on what's gone wrong and what I should do to check if the USB DAC is the problem?
For source material I tried aiff files on my MBP HD played through Audirvana as well as streamed music via Qobuz. I'm stumped!
You might want to click on the computers speaker symbol to see if the OPPO is set for USB output. Also, check what bit and bite rate the media player has been set to output. Also, reboot the media player, as well as the computer.
post #7058 of 7073 Old 12-23-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
I thought that would be the obvious case, but didn't want to just assume. Thanks again for bringing that Diana Krall Love Scenes m/c SACD to my attention, a great disc for dialing in the Sub. One major difference I found when using the m/c analog outputs from this player vs. using HDMI is that it is at least 5 dB higher volume so I brought the volume down accordingly.
I am not satisfied with HDMI connection from my computer to OPPO for music, although my experience with it has been precluded to multi-channel FLAC files from Foobar 2000, dropouts of a note or two in one minute intervals. There is no problem with movies I have in iTunes. At any rate, since my desire is gapless play from multi-channel the only other input which gets gapless is usb drive, one on front of player and two on rear panel. I typically use the front port to listen to multi-channel FLAC on a thumb drive. Since this means to music is somewhat of an ordeal, I have suspended my multi-channel downloading; and, I am now returning to SACDs.
post #7059 of 7073 Old 12-29-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Media Control app has been very unstable and keeps crashing more and more with each new iOS update. I have an IPad Mini & iPhone XR.

Mains: Revel Salon2's powered by ATI AT6002
Center: Revel C208
Surrounds: Revel F208
SW: SVS PB 13 Ultra
Amp: Emotiva XPR5 (surrounds & center)
LG 65 B6P & EF9500
post #7060 of 7073 Old 12-29-2019, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
hi all, i have a 7.33 GB Quick time movie that i had to format a usb on mac OS X to exFat to get onto.

when i put in the oppo 205. its seen in sub folder its in and when select ot play out plays no probs but about a minute or so in it seems to stop playing and drops back to the root folder screen ?

I have fast forward the file past point and all seems well ?

the file is 1920x1080 24 H264 format

anyone know what might be happening here, or what might be a resolution to this ?

should i try copying the file again ?

seems to play ok on the MacBook pro

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #7061 of 7073 Old 12-30-2019, 05:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked: 4598
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
hi all, i have a 7.33 GB Quick time movie that i had to format a usb on mac OS X to exFat to get onto.
I'd convert it to an MKV container to see of that works better. MKVMERGE is the tool of choice for that, although I forget if it takes qt as an input.

-Bill
gsr and alebonau like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7062 of 7073 Old 01-07-2020, 02:56 AM

These days my OPPO-205 is for the most part what delivers stereo and/or multi-channel music from Apple Music subscription, purchased downloads in iTunes and Foobar 2000 Libraries, as well as from thumb drive, CDs, and hybrid SACDs. The OPPO is set for gapless play and indeed I get gapless play with usb B connection from PC to OPPO for stereo pleasure. I also get stereo and multi-channel gapless play with usb drive port connection from thumb drive to OPPO. HDMI connection from PC to OPPO will deliver stereo and multi-channel gapless play too; but, this connection is not glitch free, dropouts every few minutes, perhaps having something to do with Foobar 2000/FLAC files, since OPPO may not support FLAC from HDMI connection? At any rate, the other means to extract music from the OPPO is via wireless Network connection to my DLNA Laptops. This wireless connection does not deliver gapless play and I have heard that this is a problem with DLNA transmission in general. What I'd like to know is this: is gapless play indeed not possible via DLNA with any sending/receiving devices, or are there some players which can deliver gapless play via DLNA Network connection?
post #7063 of 7073 Old 01-08-2020, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
As a result of no more new Oppo's I thought I would add this upgrade for those who may be interested. I got intrigued with some guys who have changed the Switch mode power supplies for Linear power supplies in the 203 and 205's. I investigated and thought well I've nothing to loose and chose a cheaper($200 US) Chinese one off Aliexpress. It certainly looked well engineered in photographs. And others who had already tried other makes were very positive about results. Well I ordered it and it arrived over Christmas. Was well packaged and easy to retro fit after removing lots of screws, cover, multichannel board and SMPS. I did not replace multi channel board or SMPS cover.

Well immediately the sound was different seemed smoother and was able to be turned up louder more detail/bass. But gosh the picture was brighter, deeper colours and sharper.

The SMPS is the power supply for the video and digital board affecting all input level signals. The linear power supply improved both of these very nicely. I have a 205 which already has a Linear Power supply on the preamp output stage and multi channel board. I retained this so the 205 now has two LPS's. If you value both audio and picture this upgrade is well worth the effort. I listen to digital audio files from a computer in stereo and DVD/Blueray discs mainly live music concerts also in stereo. To this end, this upgrade is absolutely worth trying but if you don't like it you can put the SMPS back but to date no one has ever gone back. This takes this awesome player to new levels.

Last edited by rmcadam; 01-08-2020 at 05:09 PM.
post #7064 of 7073 Old 01-08-2020, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcadam View Post
As a result of no more new Oppo's I thought I would add this upgrade for those who may be interested....
Has anyone published measurements, pre and post modification?
post #7065 of 7073 Old 01-08-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Without measurements, impossible to know whether real or placebo effect.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #7066 of 7073 Old 01-08-2020, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
No measurements I can find but here is one link from a person who has added an LPS and reports here on his findings with photos: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussi...de-for-udp-205

I did not use this specific LPS but its effect is the same and installation the same. I can verify all the points he makes are correct in my system.

The following people are making these around the world from Norway (Coris), UK (Fidelity Audio), Korea (Oppomod), Hong kong (Clones Audio), China(Aliexpress) probably others.

another forum: https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...upply-upgrade/

Upon investigating Linear power supplies I find these especially in high-end audio are very highly regarded even high end computer audio server users are using LPS's over Switch mode. Interesting that Oppo included one in the 205 which was one deciding factor for me to purchase it over the 203.

Robert

Last edited by rmcadam; 01-08-2020 at 08:27 PM.
post #7067 of 7073 Old 01-12-2020, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

I have a new network issue with the 205 & JRiver.

All my devices are connected to the same network via Ethernet. I play FLAC files connected USB to my Desktop and have always used JRiver "Play/Send to /Oppo 205" with out any problems. But recently it hasn't been working even though the Oppo still shows up in the Devices tab in JRiver. I have to unplug the 205 from the outlet to do a soft reset for about 30 seconds and then it will work. I had to do this twice in two days.

I could understand if the 205 didn't show up in the JRiver devices tab, but since that's not the case I have no idea why this is happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks

LG 65 B6P & EF9500
post #7068 of 7073 Old 01-12-2020, 05:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5851 Post(s)
Liked: 8362
^ When you unplug the player, the next power up is Energy Efficient — a complete reboot — even though you have Network Standby set. Among other things, this means the networking is restarted in the player.

Evidently something is coming unsprung in the networking which needs this restart.

Try rebooting both your house Router and then the server to see if that helps. Try setting Energy Efficient in the OPPO.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7069 of 7073 Old 01-12-2020, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ When you unplug the player, the next power up is Energy Efficient — a complete reboot — even though you have Network Standby set. Among other things, this means the networking is restarted in the player.

Evidently something is coming unsprung in the networking which needs this restart.

Try rebooting both your house Router and then the server to see if that helps. Try setting Energy Efficient in the OPPO.
—Bob
Energy Efficient setting was OFF in the 205. Thanks Bob.

LG 65 B6P & EF9500
post #7070 of 7073 Old 01-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Liked: 15
Question Display specifications for cover art in music

[I know there are other ways to display cover art, but I'm just asking about specs for the 'folder.jpg' that goes in the same folder as the flac music file. I use an HDD directly into the Oppo via USB]]

I've searched in this forum and google (and the specs in post #1 ). I know I need to call the file folder.jpg, but I could not find any information as to pixel, dimension or file size limits.

Some of my images display, but others don't. It does not always seem to be pixel dimension limits, but it can be. I had one at 1440x1440 that did not display, but at 1000x1000 it did. Is there a specific limit?
post #7071 of 7073 Old 01-20-2020, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post
[I know there are other ways to display cover art, but I'm just asking about specs for the 'folder.jpg' that goes in the same folder as the flac music file. I use an HDD directly into the Oppo via USB]]

I've searched in this forum and google (and the specs in post #1 ). I know I need to call the file folder.jpg, but I could not find any information as to pixel, dimension or file size limits.

Some of my images display, but others don't. It does not always seem to be pixel dimension limits, but it can be. I had one at 1440x1440 that did not display, but at 1000x1000 it did. Is there a specific limit?
I generally use 1000 x 1000 pixels, but I've used up to 1600 x 1600 successfully, HOWEVER with a resolution of 72 or 96 dots per inch (DPI). That's probably what's affecting you - the pixel depth - a 1000 x 1000 image @ 300 or 600 DPI (scan resolution) will not work, imo. Just about any open source graphics software will allow you to modify the image dimensions to (say) 1000 x 1000 x 72.

Cheers

Larry d'Lion Cheltenham, Ontario - Canada
Audio/Video Sources: Oppo 205, Rega P3+Linn Troika, Roku Ultra, Apple 4KTV, QNAP TS-451 NAS
Amplification: Yamaha RX-A1060 Aventage
Speakers: ATC SCM-7 Fronts, AudioVector QR-1 Surrounds, PSB Series 300 Sub
Screen: LG OLED65B6P
post #7072 of 7073 Old 01-20-2020, 05:39 PM

Liked: 15
Thanks Larry. Pixel depth would explain the variability I've seen.
post #7073 of 7073 Old Today, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by csludwig2 View Post
At any rate, the other means to extract music from the OPPO is via wireless Network connection to my DLNA Laptops. This wireless connection does not deliver gapless play and I have heard that this is a problem with DLNA transmission in general. What I'd like to know is this: is gapless play indeed not possible via DLNA with any sending/receiving devices, or are there some players which can deliver gapless play via DLNA Network connection?
No, you have been misinformed.

The UPnP/DLNA network audio file streaming specification does support gapless playback, but unfortunately some short sighted manufacturers such as OPPO have decided not to use the UPnP/DLNA gapless playback support feature with their players because of the extra design complexity required to support it and have taken 'advantage' of it not being compulsory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page