Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4168Likes

post #7081 of 7105 Old 02-10-2020, 06:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
^ Just as when playing Stereo content, there’s no need to change anything in the OPPO when playing 7.1 content. The Settings I described above will give proper output for your 3 speaker setup regardless of the content you are playing. (The down mix setting, as further adjusted by the enabled speaker settings, describes your target speaker configuration, NOT the content you are playing.)
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7105 Old 02-10-2020, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Just as when playing Stereo content, there’s no need to change anything in the OPPO when playing 7.1 content. The Settings I described above will give proper output for your 3 speaker setup regardless of the content you are playing. (The down mix setting, as further adjusted by the enabled speaker settings, describes your target speaker configuration, NOT the content you are playing.)
—Bob
Perfect, thank you!
post #7083 of 7105 Old 02-12-2020, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question DLNA Server questions

I (only) have 400 titles in an external USB hard drive, and it's becoming a pain to get towards the end of the list, page by page, and I'm adding more titles all the time.

I would prefer Mac, but a Windows based software would be okay.

Am I correct in believing that, if I accessed my collection from a Mac computer with DLNA software, the display will be like in Finder? And in Windows, like Explorer? I want a simple and condensed list of titles which can be re-ordered by clicking on (ex) Name or Date Modified, AND can be quickly scrolled. Is this true? The only images I could find of DLNA servers in action ALL had ONLY graphic displays (e.g., album covers); no lists, only 8 per page.

Also, an OPPO question. If I use a DLNA server, will the Oppo read from any size hard drive? I assume yes, but I can't find it written.

Assuming yes to the previous 2 paragraphs, I've read some reviews and I've visited the Apple Store. The Apple store does not seem to have any broad-based DLNA server; most are targeted to a particular brand and component (e.g., Samsung TV). A 2019 review (https://hometheatrelife.com/best-dln...reaming-media/) lists some good-appearing ones, but then the reviewer went on to say which you choose depends on your needs. He listed the most common needs, but he did not apply this knowledge to the list of best servers, so that was less than helpful. I don't need transcoding.

I'll be playing audio FLAC files (up to 192/24), all in folders with their jpg cover art. And my personal photographs as well. No movies. Primarily, I want to purchase a bare-bones computer, because I don't want to make playing music dependent on turning on my desktop computer. And if the 2/3TB limit is not in play, I'd buy a large capacity external USB HDD.

I would like to display this DLNA information wirelessly; either WiFi or Bluetooth I suppose. Not cell phone! Screen too small for me. I'l buy a tablet if I have to.

I am not particularly computer savvy; I'm 67, so self-taught, and networking is a weakness of mine, so easy setup would be nice. While I would prefer a Mac, I will consider Windows, as this drive will not be connected to the Internet so does not need protection.

Give my needs, would you like to suggest some brand names for servers (and computers too)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7084 of 7105 Old 02-12-2020, 02:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I'm going to defer on your request for server recommendations, but just in case you didn't know, you can use the Go To choice in the file browser on the OPPO to jump well down into your list of 400+ files. Just give it a file number to jump to.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7085 of 7105 Old 02-12-2020, 02:44 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked: 4619
^The DLNA interface on the OPPO looks much like the browser for USB devices.

There is no restriction on disc sizes. The OPPO doesn't know anything about the disc when going through a server, not even the file system.

-Bill
cglenn likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7086 of 7105 Old 02-12-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
^The DLNA interface on the OPPO looks much like the browser for USB devices.

There is no restriction on disc sizes. The OPPO doesn't know anything about the disc when going through a server, not even the file system.

-Bill
Bill, do you mean the browser as it appears in the Oppo when I connect a hard drive, or like the browser on the computer?
post #7087 of 7105 Old 02-12-2020, 07:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked: 4619
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post
Bill, do you mean the browser as it appears in the Oppo when I connect a hard drive, or like the browser on the computer?
On the OPPO.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7088 of 7105 Old 02-12-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
On the OPPO.

-Bill
Thank you.

It sounds like the only benefit for someone who listens only on the Oppo is being able to use a larger HDD. At a minimum, I really want the ability to sort by date, to bring up my more recent acquisitions to the top.

At least, I've got the best player, even if the display of titles has limits compared to a computer browser.
post #7089 of 7105 Old 02-12-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ I'm going to defer on your request for server recommendations, but just in case you didn't know, you can use the Go To choice in the file browser on the OPPO to jump well down into your list of 400+ files. Just give it a file number to jump to.

--Bob
Bob, when I enter one of my top level folders, I have a list of titles. More precisely, a list of folders with the name of composer and title. Inside of each folder I have the flac and jpg file(s). No numbers. Pressing the GoTo button does nothing, so I'm not understanding.
post #7090 of 7105 Old 02-13-2020, 06:14 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Thank you.

It sounds like the only benefit for someone who listens only on the Oppo is being able to use a larger HDD. At a minimum, I really want the ability to sort by date, to bring up my more recent acquisitions to the top.

At least, I've got the best player, even if the display of titles has limits compared to a computer browser.
There are still plenty of benefits to using a DLNA server.

For example, when you set up a DLNA server within JRiver Media Center (you can set up multiple DLNA server instance in it), you can control filtering for which files from your overall collection are included and what the sort order should be. You can setup multiple views (which will appear as folders on the Oppo side) to group your content (so you could have one for Rock, one for Folk, etc.). You can also setup one DLNA server that will pass high resolution FLAC files through to the destination without modification and another one that will transcode to low bitrate MP3, which could be useful for accessing your music on the road if you don't have a fast connection. If you use the DLNA server that's built into Windows, you'll have very little control over how the data is displayed.

Other benefits are unlimited disc space and the ability to add and remove files without having to disconnect the drive from the Oppo and connect it to a computer.

You also aren't limited to using the file browser built into the Oppo as the Oppo can also be used as a DLNA renderer where you can run an appropriate app on a smartphone or tablet that allows you to push what should be played to the Oppo. So you use an app with a really nice user interface and the music plays through the Oppo. Creation 5 is an example of an iOS app that can do that.
vavan likes this.
post #7091 of 7105 Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 AM

Creation 5 (to push content to the Oppo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
There are still plenty of benefits to using a DLNA server.

...You also aren't limited to using the file browser built into the Oppo as the Oppo can also be used as a DLNA renderer where you can run an appropriate app on a smartphone or tablet that allows you to push what should be played to the Oppo. So you use an app with a really nice user interface and the music plays through the Oppo. Creation 5 is an example of an iOS app that can do that.
Thanks gsr. It looks like it might be difficult to get detailed information from them, so if I may ask here... (I found no appropriate AVS forum, and all but a couple of search threads let to one or another Oppo forum). Also, I'd need to buy an ipad to answer these questions myself.

When running Creation 5 from an ipad:

Do I need to be connected to the Internet as well, or just my local network?

Can the display be customized to display lists of folders non-graphically? The images on their website ALL display graphic images, and on the (unknown size of) pad, only 6 were displayed per page, along with cover art. I just want a listing of folders; lots per page and easily scrolled.

Can I sort the list by file creation date?

And, all I need is an ipad and the Creation 5 software to connect to my local network? Does the source computer need software too? And the Creation 5 actually IS the DLNA server, not just software to access a separate DLNA server?
post #7092 of 7105 Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Thanks gsr. It looks like it might be difficult to get detailed information from them, so if I may ask here... (I found no appropriate AVS forum, and all but a couple of search threads let to one or another Oppo forum). Also, I'd need to buy an ipad to answer these questions myself.

When running Creation 5 from an ipad:

Do I need to be connected to the Internet as well, or just my local network?

Can the display be customized to display lists of folders non-graphically? The images on their website ALL display graphic images, and on the (unknown size of) pad, only 6 were displayed per page, along with cover art. I just want a listing of folders; lots per page and easily scrolled.

Can I sort the list by file creation date?

And, all I need is an ipad and the Creation 5 software to connect to my local network? Does the source computer need software too? And the Creation 5 actually IS the DLNA server, not just software to access a separate DLNA server?
This thread isn't the appropriate place to get into detail on the above, but Creation 5 is NOT a DLNA server and I'm not an expert with the Creation 5 app - it was just an example. There is an Oppo media streaming thread that you could read through post in - if you can't find it, I'm sure someone can provide a link.
cglenn likes this.
post #7093 of 7105 Old 02-14-2020, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So far, DLNA as a means to music is not working out for me, since the OPPO does not process it gaplessly. Downloading multi-channel FLAC and placing on thumb drive works gaplessly but requires about 14 to 18 actions to play. This is why I still prefer multi-channel SACD when compelling music is found in that format, no need for monitor and drilling down to proper input.
post #7094 of 7105 Old 02-14-2020, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by csludwig2 View Post
So far, DLNA as a means to music is not working out for me, since the OPPO does not process it gaplessly. Downloading multi-channel FLAC and placing on thumb drive works gaplessly but requires about 14 to 18 actions to play. This is why I still prefer multi-channel SACD when compelling music is found in that format, no need for monitor and drilling down to proper input.
@csludwig2
I playback via flac files on a USB. All of the files are in the root (top level) directory. They are not multi-channel (they are two channel stereo). I have gapless playback enabled in settings. The aforementioned stated, I do not understand what you mean by "...but requires about 14 to 18 actions to play". I can get my files to play without the use of any monitor. I just use the front panel display on the Oppo. Press home > right arrow (once to position on the "music" input of the Oppo) > press enter two or three times. So if I interpret what you've written correctly, it is taking me "4 actions" to play.

Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X
post #7095 of 7105 Old 02-15-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
@csludwig2
I playback via flac files on a USB. All of the files are in the root (top level) directory. They are not multi-channel (they are two channel stereo). I have gapless playback enabled in settings. The aforementioned stated, I do not understand what you mean by "...but requires about 14 to 18 actions to play". I can get my files to play without the use of any monitor. I just use the front panel display on the Oppo. Press home > right arrow (once to position on the "music" input of the Oppo) > press enter two or three times. So if I interpret what you've written correctly, it is taking me "4 actions" to play.
There's no problem with FLAC/Foobar 2000 for gapless stereo entertainment via usb B DAC; but, usb B DAC does not do multi-channel and although wireless Network connection to OPPO does multi-channel, it's not gapless. Therefore, the only means to gapless multi-channel is drive port connection. This connection requires a multitude of actions (clicks and scrolling) to play an album. It's not at all as easy as playing a SACD and does require a monitor for navigation convenience.

Last edited by csludwig2; 02-15-2020 at 06:46 AM.
post #7096 of 7105 Old 02-15-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
There's no problem with FLAC/Foobar 2000 for gapless stereo entertainment via usb B DAC; but, usb B DAC does not do multi-channel and although wireless Network connection to OPPO does multi-channel, it's not gapless. Therefore, the only means to gapless multi-channel is drive port connection. This connection requires a multitude of actions (clicks and scrolling) to play an album. It's not at all as easy as playing a SACD and does require a monitor for navigation convenience.
@csludwig2 I'm not sure I'm following you and I can assure you I'm not being argumentative I've owned the Oppo UDP205 for so long now (when it was first released) that I would hate to have to pull out the manual (again) and re-read and/or test. But from memory, there were times I accidentally put flac files that are coded as multi-channel 5.1 on a USB stick, plugged it into a rear USB 3 port, and played gaplessly (using the same "quick" procedure with no monitor I described in my previous post). Granted, my player is not configured in setup for multi-channel and I have it set to down mixed stereo left and right channel only. So do you mean to indicate that if I had the player set for multi-channel that it wouldn't play gapless?

EDIT: When the Oppo was first released, playing gapless had to be manually selected, Sometime later, they introduced gapless playback as a setting. When I indicate I was able to play multi-channel gaplessly, it applies to both having to do it manually and when enabled via the setting, albeit manually was one more keystroke.

Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X

Last edited by hal250; 02-15-2020 at 08:20 AM.
post #7097 of 7105 Old 02-15-2020, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
@csludwig2
Why not buy a cheap Android phone or tablet and use OPPO's 'MediaControl' app?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #7098 of 7105 Old 02-15-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
@csludwig2 I'm not sure I'm following you and I can assure you I'm not being argumentative I've owned the Oppo UDP205 for so long now (when it was first released) that I would hate to have to pull out the manual (again) and re-read and/or test. But from memory, there were times I accidentally put flac files that are coded as multi-channel 5.1 on a USB stick, plugged it into a rear USB 3 port, and played gaplessly (using the same "quick" procedure with no monitor I described in my previous post). Granted, my player is not configured in setup for multi-channel and I have it set to down mixed stereo left and right channel only. So do you mean to indicate that if I had the player set for multi-channel that it wouldn't play gapless?

EDIT: When the Oppo was first released, playing gapless had to be manually selected, Sometime later, they introduced gapless playback as a setting. When I indicate I was able to play multi-channel gaplessly, it applies to both having to do it manually and when enabled via the setting, albeit manually was one more keystroke.
1. I'm talking about Network connection, wired or wireless, not doing gapless (it does not have the needed electronics to do gapless as usb drive connection does), causing me to use a drive port connection for multi-channel gapless. But, 2. since drive port connection requires a lot of clicking and scrolling to finally get output of music from speakers, it's 3. why I mostly enjoy multi-channel gapless from Discs.

Last edited by csludwig2; 02-15-2020 at 10:08 AM.
post #7099 of 7105 Old 02-15-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Why not buy a cheap Android phone or tablet and use OPPO's 'MediaControl' app?
I have the media control app, which IMO isn't so great. I use the remote which is significantly more reliable connectivity wise than the app. However, your point is well taken and I do in fact the use the app on occasion, but I have little need to because in my case I listen to a recording of a live show in the order in which the songs were played. I do not randomly select individual songs.

post #7100 of 7105 Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
1. I'm talking about Network connection, wired or wireless, not doing gapless (it does not have the needed electronics to do gapless as usb drive connection does), causing me to use a drive port connection for multi-channel gapless. But, 2. since drive port connection requires a lot of clicking and scrolling to finally get output of music from speakers, it's 3. why I mostly enjoy multi-channel gapless from Discs.
Got it. Thank you for the clarification.

post #7101 of 7105 Old 02-15-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Got it. Thank you for the clarification.
Interestingly enough, I thought that perhaps the wired Network connection might deliver multi-channel gaplessly and therefore this morning I had a Geek from Best Buy's just for grins and giggles connect my OPPO by wire to a new Network he was installing at my residence. The outcome was a very choppy rendition of the Seattle Symphony's performance of the Firebird. At any rate, since gapless multi-channel is available via disc or drive ports I'm still good with the OPPO. And I'm good with my usb B connection to OPPO's DAC for stereo pleasure as well, since AAC Apple Music downloads sound pretty much as good as AIFF 24/192 files played via the OPPO.

Last edited by csludwig2; 02-15-2020 at 11:31 AM.
post #7102 of 7105 Old 02-17-2020, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Interestingly enough, I thought that perhaps the wired Network connection might deliver multi-channel gaplessly and therefore this morning I had a Geek from Best Buy's just for grins and giggles connect my OPPO by wire to a new Network he was installing at my residence....
How strange...

I play hi-resolution 2-channel and multi-channel audio files that are stored on my NAS gaplessly just about every day. They work fine!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #7103 of 7105 Old 02-18-2020, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I currently run my 205 in a stereo set up, and I wanted to trim the left speaker down but it did not appear to change the volume. Does the speaker level adjustments only work in a multichannel set up?

Thank you.

Oppo UDP-205 | Parasound Halo A 21 | Parasound Halo P 5 | Technics SL-1200MK2 | Martin Logan Theos | Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #7104 of 7105 Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post
I currently run my 205 in a stereo set up, and I wanted to trim the left speaker down but it did not appear to change the volume. Does the speaker level adjustments only work in a multichannel set up?

Thank you.
If you are using either the RCA or XLR Dedicated Stereo output pairs, the effect of the Speaker Configuration settings is determined by the Stereo Output setting.

If Stereo Output is set to Down Mixed Stereo, the output ignores the Speaker Configuration settings including the individual Speaker Level settings. The Dedicated Stereo output pairs are treated as Large and equidistant, with 0dB Speaker Level. When playing multi-channel content, they get a “ Stereo” down-mix with the LFE channel discarded.

If Stereo Output is set to Front Left/Right, the output applies ALL the settings that describe the output of the Front Left/Right pair of the multi-channel output set. So use Front Left/Right if you want those Speaker Level Settings to have effect. But check the other settings are also as you desire. For example if the Fronts are designated as SMALL, a Crossover will be applied, which is unlikely what you want using 2.0 output cabling.
—Bob

post #7105 of 7105 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
Read the FAQ!

Changes to Speaker Distance setting for Subwoofer do not take effect until you Power Cycle

I was doing some experiments with Subwoofer Phase using the multi-channel Analog outputs of the 205. The source audio was a stereo 80 Hz sine wave (in both L and R channels) -- a WAV file played from my SMB shared disc. The Fronts are set to a 90 Hz Crossover, so SPL readings should change as the Sub's distance is changed due to the change in relative time delays between the Sub and the Mains.

When you change the Subwoofer distance setting in Speaker Configuration, there is a brief skip in the audio each time you exit the distance setting line. That would suggest the change is actually taking effect at that point. But NOPE! The prior distance setting remains in effect.

Stopping and restarting the audio also does not enable the new distance setting.

But doing an Energy Efficient Power Cycle *DOES* enable the new setting!

I did not test whether a Network Standby Power Cycle might also work.

--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page