Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 245 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4195Likes

post #7321 of 7328 Old 06-28-2020, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
It doesn't matter anyway.

The SACD license does not allow output of DSD data to another device unless the interface is encrypted, such as HDMI; they can only output the 44.1/16 data stream from the CD layer via coaxial or optical.

This is why PS Audio came up with their I2S HDMI link and other brands have their own brand-unique solutions like dCS' dual AES/EBU.

Last edited by kucharsk; 06-29-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7328 Old 06-29-2020, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
It doesn't matter anyway.

The SACD license does not allow output of DSD data to another device unless the interface is encrypted and proprietary to another component of the same brand; they can only output the 44.1/16 data stream from the CD layer.

This is why PS Audio came up with their I2S HDMI link and other brands have their own brand-unique solutions like dCS' dual AES/EBU.
Same brand? I thought the HDMI audio output from the Oppo 205 and Ayre DX5 DSD can output DSD data. I've previously connected that to the HDMI input of my Bryston SP3 processor. My understanding has been that HDMI has the bandwidth to provide the required copy protection.

Unless providing HDMI output on the DX5 DSD soured Ayre on the hassles of HDMI, it seems not providing HDMI input on the QX-5/20 digital hub was an oversight.
post #7323 of 7328 Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Same brand? I thought the HDMI audio output from the Oppo 205 and Ayre DX5 DSD can output DSD data. I've previously connected that to the HDMI input of my Bryston SP3 processor. My understanding has been that HDMI has the bandwidth to provide the required copy protection.

Unless providing HDMI output on the DX5 DSD soured Ayre on the hassles of HDMI, it seems not providing HDMI input on the QX-5/20 digital hub was an oversight.
I've asked Ayre about that before, and Charlie told me that HDMI licensing requirements were very, very painful and voluminous, so it wasn't worth it (also that HDMI ports tended to be very noisy electrically.)

You are correct about DSD over HDMI, it just needs to remain encrypted, though very few DACs accept DSD via HDMI.

I corrected my earlier post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7324 of 7328 Old 06-30-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
You are correct about DSD over HDMI, it just needs to remain encrypted, though very few DACs accept DSD via HDMI.
Actually, the Bryston SP3 doesn't accept DSD, so I use LPCM.
post #7325 of 7328 Old Today, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Question Oppo playing media

I have been using the 205 with a USB connected HDD to play downloads for quite a long time. Yesterday I played a new 24/192 download which sounded bad. Checking for a solution I found that the same file played from a USB3 flashdrive in a USB3 socket on the back of the Oppo was fine. The same item from the USB2 socket on the front was not fine. The same file via a USB2 HDD plugged in at the back USB3 also was not right. It seems only full USB3 connections allowed this to play. Other 24/192 FLACs have been fine - just this one is not. All this was confirmed by successfully playing the file direct from the PC and via my Dragonfly Red and headphones from a USB3 socket on the PC. Very odd and hard-to-explain. Any thoughts anyone?
post #7326 of 7328 Old Today, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 3421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post
I have been using the 205 with a USB connected HDD to play downloads for quite a long time. Yesterday I played a new 24/192 download which sounded bad. Checking for a solution I found that the same file played from a USB3 flashdrive in a USB3 socket on the back of the Oppo was fine. The same item from the USB2 socket on the front was not fine. The same file via a USB2 HDD plugged in at the back USB3 also was not right. It seems only full USB3 connections allowed this to play. Other 24/192 FLACs have been fine - just this one is not. All this was confirmed by successfully playing the file direct from the PC and via my Dragonfly Red and headphones from a USB3 socket on the PC. Very odd and hard-to-explain. Any thoughts anyone?
The front USB port has issues with *some* drive controllers. I've seen this with some portable SSD USB-3.1 drives. You might see similar issues with UHD video on the front port. It'll be fine with some drives and not with others. Its a bandwidth issue, inadequate data rates.

It'd be easier to say more if you could define what "sounded bad" means. The above type issues with audio might sound "scratchy" or garbled. Its anybodies guess why one 24/192 file would be OK when another is not, but for the sake of testing they should be checked on the same physical drive.

Edit to add: Be sure you are using only USB-3 rated patch cables, if any are used.
post #7327 of 7328 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
It'd be easier to say more if you could define what "sounded bad" means. The above type issues with audio might sound "scratchy" or garbled. Its anybodies guess why one 24/192 file would be OK when another is not, but for the sake of testing they should be checked on the same physical drive.

Edit to add: Be sure you are using only USB-3 rated patch cables, if any are used.

I was trying to avoid describing the nature of the error because I'm not sure I can. A combination of skipping, distorting and the sort of digital nasties one gets when bits go missing. Loud ticks and spluttering. There, I told you I couldn't describe it :-) I have no doubt what I heard was the result of significant levels of errors in the bitstream.

Does that help? Your thoughts so far are appreciated.
post #7328 of 7328 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 3421
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB of Poole View Post
I was trying to avoid describing the nature of the error because I'm not sure I can. A combination of skipping, distorting and the sort of digital nasties one gets when bits go missing. Loud ticks and spluttering. There, I told you I couldn't describe it :-) I have no doubt what I heard was the result of significant levels of errors in the bitstream.

Does that help? Your thoughts so far are appreciated.
That's more or less what I get too. I'd assume a hampered bandwidth issue. The front port is just not up high res audio or video with some drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page