Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4174Likes

post #811 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
From the Oppo 205 preview from HometheaterHifi.com:

Bench testing of the OPPO UDP-205 yielded what I believe to be results that are beyond the limits of my Audio Precision spectrum analyzer. There were a few tests that showed slightly better results than the BDP-105, and a few tests that showed slightly worse results than the BDP-105, but all of these were in the thousandths or millionths of a volt range. This is a world unto itself, where anything going on in the wall voltage supply could cause such results. None of the distortion seen in the BDP-105 or UDP-205 is audible. It is time to get the latest Audio Precision spectrum analyzer. In any case, the BDP-105 and UDP-205 are the best universal players I have ever tested
Thanks for the link to this first pre-view.
Really looking forward to full reviews of the 205 and comparisons with other players.

I have replaced my Denon DVD-3910 multi-player of some 10 years old by the 205. At that time one of the better multi-players with also solid audio qualities.
After some first CD and SACD listening in stereo with the 205 yesterday afternoon, I do hear differences between the two.
The biggest difference to my ears is that the bass is better defined / more tight with the 205. Further it overall sounds 'fresher'.
Differences are not huge, but I think the 205 sounds better.
Still will need to do more listening for my final conclusions, but for now I'm happy with what I have heard so far.

Denon AVC-A11XV, Denon DVD-3910, Dual CS 741 Q, Dynaudio Focus 5.0, Musical Fidelity X-CAN v8p, Sennheiser hd 800, LG 4K OLED 55" B6V.

Last edited by JanR1200RT; 05-12-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
"Gapless" refers to track transitions when playing a set of audio files. It has nothing to do with video files.

If you are having problems playing video files that work with the 105 you should get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and give them the details. You can use the Email Us link on the support page for the player:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-u...5-Support.aspx

--Bob
thanks Bob..

Just so that I sound halfway intelligent, how would I articulate that to Oppo? Whats the equivalent for gapless playback for video? Stream continuously?
post #813 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 07:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4762 Post(s)
Liked: 4679
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmachine View Post
thanks Bob..

Just so that I sound halfway intelligent, how would I articulate that to Oppo? Whats the equivalent for gapless playback for video? Stream continuously?
I would just say "gapless for video files". But it is technically hard: the buffer requirements for video are much larger than for audio.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked: 8427
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmachine View Post
thanks Bob..

Just tell them it's working on your 105, but not on the 205, and offer sample files.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #815 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I tried a few different scenarios with the 205 this morning. I disconnected both HDMI cables and the audio pause issue is still there when using the balanced output. What is happening is playback starts for a second or so then playback is paused (confirmed by the fact that the 205's numerical display stops) for about two seconds then playback resumes.

Well I just figured out what is causing the relay clicking and the audio pause. I tried playing a Blu-ray Audio disc and there was no relay clicking when playback started nor was there an audio pause. So I thought all I'd played yesterday were SACDs in DSD. I put an SACD in the 205 and set the SACD Output setting to PCM. When I changed from DSD to PCM there was a double click of the relay, interesting. I started playback with the PCM setting and there was no relay click or an audio pause. Then I stopped playback and there was no relay click. Then I changed the SACD Output setting back to DSD (with another double relay click) then stopped playback and got the relay click. Resumed playback got the relay click and the audio pause.

So it seems apparent to me that I've found a bug with the 205 or at the least one with my 205. I can state for fact that my 105D does not have this issue. I've switched between DSD and PCM many times with the 105D and have never encountered this issue once. I'll call Oppo a little later today when they're open and discus this issue with them. If this is in fact the way the 205 is supposed to function I'll definitely be returning the 205 as this issue is totally unacceptable with a $1300 player.
The stutter-start audio in this scenario would be a bug. Good catch!
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #816 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanR1200RT View Post
Really looking forward to full reviews of the 205 and comparisons with other players.

I have replaced my Denon DVD-3910 multi-player of some 10 years old by the 205. At that time one of the better multi-players with also solid audio qualities.
After some first CD and SACD listening in stereo with the 205 yesterday afternoon, I do hear differences between the two.
The biggest difference to my ears is that the bass is better defined / more tight with the 205. Further it overall sounds 'fresher'.
Still will need to do more listening for my final conclusions, but for now I'm happy with what I have heard so far.
Yeah, my memories of the 3910 still abound. It was my first universal DVD player I've ever owned until I sold it to get the new Oppo 83SE. Great player for its times.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...0#post19542630
post #817 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 3543
I spoke with Oppo and went through some troubleshooting on the phone with the Tech. As it turns out the audio pause with DSD is an issue related to HDMI as I did have an HDMI cable connected when I thought it was not. But the relay clicking is still present when using DSD. The Tech said the 105D does the same thing but the relays are quieter. Well I took the 205 out of my system and put the 105D back in. I played an SACD with the DSD setting with no relay clicking when playback is initiated, when stopped and when playback is resumed. No audio pause as well with the 105D. It has to be an issue with the 205 as the 105D is connected to the XMC-1 with the same HDMI and balanced cables.

The Oppo Tech logged an incident and they will look into it further. As usual Oppo service is outstanding with an actual Tech answering the phone and no run around. I have to give it some thought over the next few days on whether to return the 205 or not. I'm listening to the 105D right now and I'm pretty sure the 205 has the 105D beat in overall SQ when using balanced and the Reference Stereo mode with the XMC-1.

Bill
vavan and yonson like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #818 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I spoke with Oppo and went through some troubleshooting on the phone with the Tech. As it turns out the audio pause with DSD is an issue related to HDMI as I did have an HDMI cable connected when I thought it was not. But the relay clicking is still present when using DSD. The Tech said the 105D does the same thing but the relays are quieter. Well I took the 205 out of my system and put the 105D back in. I played an SACD with the DSD setting with no relay clicking when playback is initiated, when stopped and when playback is resumed. No audio pause as well with the 105D. It has to be an issue with the 205 as the 105D is connected to the XMC-1 with the same HDMI and balanced cables.

The Oppo Tech logged an incident and they will look into it further. As usual Oppo service is outstanding with an actual Tech answering the phone and no run around. I have to give it some thought over the next few days on whether to return the 205 or not. I'm listening to the 105D right now and I'm pretty sure the 205 has the 105D beat in overall SQ when using balanced and the Reference Stereo mode with the XMC-1.

Bill
Progress! Yeah the whole HDMI handshake is different in this brave new world of UHD.

Do you have to physically disconnect the HDMI or is setting HDMI Audio OFF enough to prevent the stutter-start audio in your setup?
--Bob

post #819 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hoping I don't need to return mine as theres a three bugs I reported

1) Does not play single MTS video file continuously
2) Glitchy rewind/fast forward on music files (no time bar to track where to stop)
3) Dosen't retain network settings (need to reenter wireless password each time after powering-up)

Mike
post #820 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 3543
Quote:
Progress! Yeah the whole HDMI handshake is different in this brave new world of UHD.

Do you have to physically disconnect the HDMI or is setting HDMI Audio OFF enough to prevent the stutter-start audio in your setup?
--Bob
Definitely making progress. I just wish the relay clicking wasn't there with DSD. The audio pause is only with DSD as when I switch to PCM it's not an issue. I just disconnected the HDMI cable at the 205. But that's not an option as I'm not going to disconnect the HDMI cable every time I listen to an SACD with DSD.

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #821 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy01 View Post
Hoping I don't need to return mine as theres a three bugs I reported

1) Does not play single MTS video file continuously
2) Glitchy rewind/fast forward on music files (no time bar to track where to stop)
3) Dosen't retain network settings (need to reenter wireless password each time after powering-up)

Mike
Ok just learned that the 205 does not support continuous playback of an ACHD container.. bummer.
makes home movies more boring then they already are -- !
post #822 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
@Bardia ,
Apologies for the public reply to your PM, but apparently I am AVS forum underclass, and barred from replying to PMs until I have made at least 15 forum posts (seems like a stupid and arbitrary rule to me given I was replying directly to your PM, but oh well, I'm one message closer to escaping the underclass!)

Hi Bardia,

I ran a full speaker calibration with an SPL meter after installing the 205, though I only set speaker distances, and used the internal test tone on the 205 to balance the speaker outputs. I don't know if it's possible to transfer the system settings between the 105 and 205, but the setup for me only took a few minutes. I used the Oppo's 60 Hz crossover setting with my front speakers (B&W 703) set to "small", my sub is a matched B&W. I expect that there wouldn't be too much, if any, change in your speaker "pairing" characteristics, so perhaps just setting the distances, applying the same crossover frequency you used previously, and balancing the SPL would suffice for your setup?

Rich
post #823 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santelises View Post
Bob,
Thanks for the suggestions I had to power off the Synology NAS when I re-cabled the 205 so everything was restarted for the DLNA Servers and player. To be safe I rebooted the Synology NAS again. I agree that the problem is specific to OPPO interacting with Synology DLNA and Minmserver. The Synology DLNA Server did work with the OPPO BDP95, but it broke after a firmware change for the 95, I reported it back then, but this was never resolved. Factually, I added Minimserver as a way to get around that original problem and it worked well until the 205. What I did observe with Minimserver it starts to buffer the station, the counter never goes beyond 0 on the player displays a red circle on the top right hand side of the screen, as when the player is busy processing remote control commands. At this point the only way to get the 205 to respond again is to power off. With the Synology DLNA Server it skips all the stations similar to what the player does when it finds an unsupported media type. I do know the developer for Minimserver and I am sure he could pinpoint specifically what has changed and may report this and see what he says.
I did contact the developer of Minimserver and after his review. Here is his response:

RE: Error Streaming Radio Stations to a new player OPPO UDP205
These messages mean that the renderer is sending byte-range requests, which are valid when playing an audio file but not with a real-time radio stream.

I have sent this information to OPPO Support via Email and updated here just in case it helps another Minimserver user trying to render to the OPPO 205. With the Synology DLNA Server problem I uploaded the Audio Station log and requested a response from Synology also. I will update as I am aware there are several Synology users here that can't get the internet radio stations to be rendered by the OPPO.

hjfisch likes this.
post #824 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Definitely making progress. I just wish the relay clicking wasn't there with DSD. The audio pause is only with DSD as when I switch to PCM it's not an issue. I just disconnected the HDMI cable at the 205. But that's not an option as I'm not going to disconnect the HDMI cable every time I listen to an SACD with DSD.

Bill
Yes, that's why I asked whether you tried simply setting HDMI Audio to OFF.
--Bob

post #825 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy01 View Post
Ok just learned that the 205 does not support continuous playback of an ACHD container.. bummer.
makes home movies more boring then they already are -- !
I'm assuming you meant AVCHD.
--Bob

post #826 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbrennan View Post
@Bardia ,
Apologies for the public reply to your PM, but apparently I am AVS forum underclass, and barred from replying to PMs until I have made at least 15 forum posts (seems like a stupid and arbitrary rule to me given I was replying directly to your PM, but oh well, I'm one message closer to escaping the underclass!)

Hi Bardia,

I ran a full speaker calibration with an SPL meter after installing the 205, though I only set speaker distances, and used the internal test tone on the 205 to balance the speaker outputs. I don't know if it's possible to transfer the system settings between the 105 and 205, but the setup for me only took a few minutes. I used the Oppo's 60 Hz crossover setting with my front speakers (B&W 703) set to "small", my sub is a matched B&W. I expect that there wouldn't be too much, if any, change in your speaker "pairing" characteristics, so perhaps just setting the distances, applying the same crossover frequency you used previously, and balancing the SPL would suffice for your setup?

Rich
Thank you
post #827 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming you meant AVCHD.
--Bob
that , yes
post #828 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Upgradus Interruptus

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Yeah, my memories of the 3910 still abound. It was my first universal DVD player I've ever owned until I sold it to get the new Oppo 83SE. Great player for its times.
I had the 3910 and the 5900 for many years. Now the 205 joins the 105D in house. Great players.

"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike" HT: 7.2.6 - Denon AVR-X8500H, Oppo BDP-205D, Vandersteen VCC-2 CT with KEF LS50 L/R, M&K ss-150's SL & SR, SVS Prime Elevation front L/R, Side 2 pair ahead and behind seating, 2 - SVS SB16 Ultra, Epson 5040UB, Stewart StudioTek 130 92". Living Room: LG OLED55C7P & Oppo UDP-203 with Sonos Sound Base.
post #829 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Questions about multichannel inputs

Page 20 of the 205 manual states that it supports up to 2-channel/768 kHz PCM and DSD512 through the USB input and 2-channel/96kHz PCM, DolbyDigital, DTS, and AAC through the optical and coax inputs.

Question 1: My 103 supports multichannel FLAC via a memory stick plugged into the USB input. Can the 205 not do the same?

Question 2: The manual is silent about wireless input. Is multichannel availalble there?

Question 3: Is there a way to push multichannel input through the Ethernet connection?

I had a question about using the 205 as a preamp like my 103, but I believe that has been answered.

Thanks for all input.
vavan likes this.
post #830 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I think a cool appraisal of the benefits of UHD over Blu-ray would get me tarred and feathered here, so I will keep my thoughts to myself.

-Bill
Is there any disagreement?

4K + UHD == 4x resolution (number of pixels) + no interlacing (everything is progressive) + 75.8% coverage of human-visible color gamut (vs. a mere 35.9%).

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #831 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashCT View Post
Well, I have some info on the DAC filter characteristics, but I can't post the links because I have only 3 posts & you need 5.

That makes sense. You know... it's that 5th posts that says to the world - he's ready to be allowed to post links. Because his 4th post is likely to be a link to J-Lo's booty-in-pink-panties pic and we CERTAINLY don't want that. Oh wait, you mean some fool actually posted the actual pic in a thread (because it's relevant to A/V discussions) & not a link to it - and that's OK - but you can't post links to meaningful, helpful articles, Mr You Only Have 3-now-4 Posts Man!

So you have to wait until I have 5 posts. Na-na-na-na boo-boo.

Lemme tell ya - it's good stuff too. Like really good. Better than steak good.

Post this message four more times and you're golden.
MashCT likes this.

post #832 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmmyers View Post
The reason for having the TV on is for the same reason other posters have said; "so we can see what track is playing".
I'm probably going to regret wading into this one, but here goes.

The idea with Pure Audio is just that, exactly what it says--it's just playing music. No video no display no nothing. The assumption is that you, in activating that mode, are a Concerned Audiophile who wants the absolutely cleanest possible audio path when playing shiny disks, which you keep in a vast *physical* library because you refuse to get with that whole streaming conspiracy. You just want the music, for crying out loud. None of these newfangled tracklists (available as liner notes--you did keep the original packaging, right?). You just want to put a shiny disk in the player and let it go. You're one notch away from wearing a tinfoil hat to keep out the N-rays that distort the sound.

You probably think I'm making fun of that person, except that's a perfect description of me.

If you *aren't* that person, then quit pretending you are that person, disable Pure Audio, and enjoy your playlists.

Or use the newfangled phone app.

post #833 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, the filters should apply to all forms of Analog audio output *EXCEPT* when playing DSD content with DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion engaged.

DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion has its own, mandatory form of filtering which the DAC has to implement to screen out the excess high frequency noise inherent in the DSD content due to "Noise Shaping" -- a technique used when the DSD is created to move "quantization noise" to higher frequencies where they can't be heard. Noise Shaping works, but makes the noise -- now moved to higher frequencies -- even worse, so that noise has to be filtered out to protect downstream gear.
--Bob
And he's not kidding http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue66/dsd.htm.

post #834 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
I'm probably going to regret wading into this one, but here goes.

The idea with Pure Audio is just that, exactly what it says--it's just playing music. No video no display no nothing. The assumption is that you, in activating that mode, are a Concerned Audiophile who wants the absolutely cleanest possible audio path when playing shiny disks, which you keep in a vast *physical* library because you refuse to get with that whole streaming conspiracy. You just want the music, for crying out loud. None of these newfangled tracklists (available as liner notes--you did keep the original packaging, right?). You just want to put a shiny disk in the player and let it go. You're one notch away from wearing a tinfoil hat to keep out the N-rays that distort the sound.

You probably think I'm making fun of that person, except that's a perfect description of me.

If you *aren't* that person, then quit pretending you are that person, disable Pure Audio, and enjoy your playlists.

Or use the newfangled phone app.

That was really my point from the beginning when I asked my initial question but the conversation regrettably turned into something else and went on too long. Whether you agree with the benefits of Pure Audio or not it's not Pure Audio if you have video playing.

On another note I can't believe I've had my 205 for two weeks already. Overall I'm very happy with it although it can seem a little buggy at times but I'm ok with that as most players are when first released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #835 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyboy View Post
Page 20 of the 205 manual states that it supports up to 2-channel/768 kHz PCM and DSD512 through the USB input and 2-channel/96kHz PCM, DolbyDigital, DTS, and AAC through the optical and coax inputs.

Question 1: My 103 supports multichannel FLAC via a memory stick plugged into the USB input. Can the 205 not do the same?

Question 2: The manual is silent about wireless input. Is multichannel availalble there?

Question 3: Is there a way to push multichannel input through the Ethernet connection?

I had a question about using the 205 as a preamp like my 103, but I believe that has been answered.

Thanks for all input.
1) The 205 supports a pretty good collection of media file formats from directly attached USB drives as well as streamed over your house network from SMB or DLNA servers you set up. These include multi-channel audio file formats like FLAC.

2) The 205 has built in Wifi networking -- no dongle needed any more -- supporting up to 8.02-11ac in the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. You can do anything using Wifi that you can do using the built-in Ethernet networking.

3) The 205 is a "DLNA Media Renderer" (DMR). That means if you have a DLNA server set up on your house network you can "push" supported media file formats to the 205 using whatever user interface you might have to control that DLNA server -- either on the server computer itself or via some secondary control device like a phone or tablet running a control app. Again, multi-channel audio file formats like FLAC are part of the set of supported files.

If you prefer to have the 205 do the file browsing and "pull" the files from your server, you can use the network browsing UI built into the player or the new version of OPPO's iOS and Android MediaControl apps specific to the new 203 and 205 players.

For more information on supported media container file formats, and the supported codecs (the audio and video data formats that are used inside the container files), I suggest you look at Bill's developing FAQ for the 203 and 205:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203-faq.html

By the way, you can also send multi-channel audio -- LPCM, DSD, or Bitstream including lossless Bitstreams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA -- into the HDMI Input of the 205.

--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-12-2017 at 07:01 PM.
post #836 of 7151 Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
UDP-205 vs. Ayre C5xeMP and DX-5

Thanks for the thorough reply, Tom - very helpful, especially since you noted consistency in the differences you heard from recording to recording. When I got the Ayre DX-5, which is a universal player, I was told by the Ayre people that its sound was much improved relative to the C5xe which I'd had for years, and upgraded twice. However, in blind A-B tests in which outputs were level-matched, it was still quite difficult for me to tell the difference between the two. Not surprising that you're hearing greater detail in the 205, given the greater resolution, better noise floors, and other improvements in DAC's and surrounding components over the last several years.

Compared to boutique high-end audio players, the 205 appears to be an amazing bargain. But that's the big advantage of the economies of scale you can attain at Oppo's sales levels.
tngiloy likes this.
post #837 of 7151 Old 05-13-2017, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanR1200RT View Post

Did you try RCA vs XLR dedicated? It will be interesting to see how the two measure. In stock form, I have found the RCA is much more natural and extended. I have modified my unit and have gotten the XLR and RCA channels to be within 99% of each other by replacing the SMD capacitors with WIMA at the 1632 Op-Amp (parallel). The SMD ceramic capacitor rolls off the highs and some details. Also sounds a little edgy/grainy. I can see how some would prefer this sound though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oppo 205 XLR Mod.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2133681  
vavan likes this.

Last edited by elderion; 05-13-2017 at 01:59 AM.
post #838 of 7151 Old 05-13-2017, 06:37 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2058 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
^ Those modifications appear to make the sound darker with less focus...
dmusoke and vavan like this.
post #839 of 7151 Old 05-13-2017, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderion View Post
Did you try RCA vs XLR dedicated? It will be interesting to see how the two measure. In stock form, I have found the RCA is much more natural and extended. I have modified my unit and have gotten the XLR and RCA channels to be within 99% of each other by replacing the SMD capacitors with WIMA at the 1632 Op-Amp (parallel). The SMD ceramic capacitor rolls off the highs and some details. Also sounds a little edgy/grainy. I can see how some would prefer this sound though.
Are you saying before the mods, you could clearly hear the SQ difference between the stereo and XLR outputs and after the cap changes its a toss up?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showt...0#post19542630
post #840 of 7151 Old 05-13-2017, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just saw this
. The Panasonic bests the Oppo in video tests such as chroma filtering and especially HDR-SDR conversion. The pics differences between the two (especially HDR-to-SDR) conversion are easy to see. Oppo blacks are crushed and details absent but you can see more stuff with the Panasonic player.

Maybe this can be improved via future FW fixes? but I'm surprised by this revelation...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page