Originally Posted by hulimari
I saw you have a 5700 ES and was hoping if you could help me with a question on setting up my 205 with 5700 ES and Dedicated Amp.
My Need : To use DAC in 205 and only use my Sony to control volume.
My Setup: I play Tidal from My Apple TV which is connected to Optical IN on OPPO. I have oppo dedicated stereo 2.0 Analog outs connected to Multi Channel In (Left and Right) of my 5700 ES. Analog outs for Center, and Surround speakers are connected from Oppo to Multi IN on 5700 ES. I have 5 RCA cables running from Pre Out on 5700 to my AMP. My Subwoofer is directly connected to Oppo out ( Have ordered an additional RCA to run the sub via AVR as well)
Problems: When I am playing stereo music, I see that all my 5.1 channels are playing and changing Settings on OPPO does not help. I tried changing Audio Processing - > Speaker config Down Mix to Left/Right and Stereo settings with no help. I they tried changing the Stereo out Settings which did not help either. How can I make only my front Left/Right speakers sing for stereo music and only play 5.1 when I am watching movies?
Also do you know if there's any re-digitizing going on in my setup and how to avoid it?
I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks in advance!
This is due to a bug in the current (0329) firmware.
When playing stereo LPCM content coming in on the Optical Input of the 205, all channels of the multi-channel Outputs are incorrectly sent audio.
Until OPPO releases a fix to this bug, the workaround is as follows:
1) Wire the RCA outs of the multi-channel Analog set of the 205 to your AVR. Set the Speaker Configuration settings in the OPPO for how you want to use those multi-channel outs. I.e, no need to set Down-Mix to STEREO when playing stereo content.
2) Separately wire a pair (either RCA or XLR) from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs of the 205 to a Stereo input of your AVR
3) In the 205, change Stereo Signal from FRONT LEFT/RIGHT to DOWN-MIXED STEREO. This configures the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs to operate independently of the settings you've made in Speaker Configuration for the multi-channel Analog outs.
4) When playing stereo LPCM (such as from Tidal on AppleTV) into the Optical Input of the 205, set your AVR to play the Stereo input jacks you wired from the OPPO. For the purest playback of that Stereo Analog input, set the AVR to "pass through" that Stereo Analog signal with no processing except for Volume control. If, on the other hand, you want to play your stereo input as 2.1 speakers output (including the Subwoofer), set the AVR to process that Stereo Analog input for Crossover. (You won't be able to use the 205 for this until OPPO fixes that bug on the Optical Input.)
5) When playing other content, set your AVR to play the multi-channel Analog jacks you wired from the 205. Speaker Configuration processing, such as Crossover should be set to happen either in the OPPO (with "pass through" in the AVR) or in the AVR, but NOT in BOTH places.