Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4168Likes

post #1531 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmachine View Post
Thanks Bob

I think my AVR supports the DSD HDMI analog conversion. Haven't tried that as the remote triggers a power off and then the OPPO has a direct connect to power amp for music. Do some feel that LPCM is a slight downgrade from DSD? I can't hear the difference.

Slightly OT (and hoping this isn't a dumb question) Why would LFE track not be included during the 2 Ch DSD mastering process in the first place? Does it have to do with HDMI bandwidth limitations?
The source in question is The Who's Quadrophenia which was initially released in 1973. Maybe recording technology used at that time wasn't able to assign LFE to another channel?
Umm, because the LFE channel is a *THIRD* channel?

5.1 audio is 6 channels. The LFE content is the .1 channel.

LFE for SACD has been messed up ever since Sony first promoted the format. Every main speaker channel is capable of carrying bass as low as you'd care to go. If your speakers can't go that low, you can use Crossover processing to steer bass to your Subwoofer to support that output.

So why have LFE? Well LFE is a special channel designed to carry *LOUD* bass. It is recorded -10dB down to provide extra headroom for just that purpose.

And that's how everyone was using it until Sony came along and decided the .1 channel for 5.1 SACD would actually be a Subwoofer channel instead of an LFE channel, and thus did not need that extra -10dB headroom.

This has caused so much confusion and gnashing of teeth that many studios author their 5.1 SACD tracks to have NOTHING in that .1 channel. They put all the bass in the regular speaker channels. Thus it is actually 5.0 content delivered in a 5.1 container.

Similarly, stereo content is authored as 2.0 instead of 2.1 because there's typically no need for a special *LOUD* bass channel in music. It's primarily for explosions and such. Again, you can put all the bass -- as low as you care to go in frequency -- in the regular stereo speaker channels.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by october16 View Post
So now I have Down Mix Mode to Stereo. In Speaker Configuration FL/FR are set to small. Sub is on. Stereo Signal is Front Left/Right. But sub is not active. I see a red light which normally turns blue when active. What could be going wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's probably not enough bass content in what you are playing to trigger the signal detection in the Sub.

Play some bass heavy music and try raising the output volume, and if the Sub turns on that's what's happening.

You may have your Crossover set to low so that the content you are playing simply isn't providing bass down there. Or the sensor in your Sub may not be sensitive enough. If you can't set the Sub to "always on", one common trick with a Sub that has both Left and Right line level inputs is to use a Y-splitter and feed the signal into both of those inputs. You'll need to adjust the volume knob on the Sub to compensate but it should trigger out of standby at a lower signal level.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #1533 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manganzon81 View Post
What SACD output setting do you set if you only use the dedicated 2 channel analog input?

This whole subwoofer LFE channel, crossover thing is completely confusing to me. I thought if you have a subwoofer connected to your system, whatever audio you have (from movies, tv, or music) will be sent to it.

I don't have my 'proper' set up yet but for years I've had those Bose cubes (2.0) and subwoofer connected to that all in one Bose receiver/cd player and whenever I play a cd, watch TV or a movie, play vinyl via the 'tape' input, or connect my computer via the 'aux' input, that subwoofer is always going.

So what you're saying is, to 'cheat' the oppo into getting 2.1 you have to apply crossover to your AVR, or pre amp to get the 2.0 sound to be 2.1? Does that enable processing from your AVR/Pre amp and IF so, does that now mean the Oppo's SABRE DACS are bypassed and your AVR/Pre amps DAC is being used?
Sounds like you have some fundamental misunderstandings about how all this works. I'd suggest starting with my post on page 10 of this thread: Notes on Setting Up for Analog Audio Output.

Your choice of sending DSD or LPCM to the DACs for Analog output when playing DSD content is largely a matter of personal preferences. In theory, you will not be able to hear a difference.

LPCM to the DACs allows you to have the OPPO process the audio. So suppose you are using a pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs and you have Stereo Signal set to DOWN-MIXED STEREO. Now you decide to play a 5.1 SACD music track:

1) If you have SACD Output set to PCM you will get a stereo down mix of that 5.1 content, but

2) If you have SACD Output set to DSD you will only hear the Left Front & Right Front channels from that 5.1 content. Why? Because down-mixing is a type of audio processing and with DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion no audio processing is possible.

By the way, there's no "cheat" involved here. It's simply a matter of enabling the processing you want or turning that off if you don't want it.

Any time you use the Analog outs of the OPPO, the DACs in the OPPO are producing that Analog audio output. DAC: Digital to Analog Converter.

When you send Analog audio through an AVR, you have to check whether the AVR is set to process that audio. To process Analog audio the AVR first has to re-digitize it. Then that digital audio result is processed, and then the result of that is converted BACK to Analog for output. And that last stage uses the DACs in the AVR. So if you don't want the re-digitizing to happen or the conversion pass through he DACs in the AVR, then you need to set your AVR to "pass through" the Analog audio input -- which means the AVR can do nothing but Volume control.
--Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Sounds like you have some fundamental misunderstandings about how all this works. I'd suggest starting with my post on page 10 of this thread: Notes on Setting Up for Analog Audio Output.

Your choice of sending DSD or LPCM to the DACs for Analog output when playing DSD content is largely a matter of personal preferences. In theory, you will not be able to hear a difference.

LPCM to the DACs allows you to have the OPPO process the audio. So suppose you are using a pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs and you have Stereo Signal set to DOWN-MIXED STEREO. Now you decide to play a 5.1 SACD music track:

1) If you have SACD Output set to PCM you will get a stereo down mix of that 5.1 content, but

2) If you have SACD Output set to DSD you will only hear the Left Front & Right Front channels from that 5.1 content. Why? Because down-mixing is a type of audio processing and with DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion no audio processing is possible.

By the way, there's no "cheat" involved here. It's simply a matter of enabling the processing you want or turning that off if you don't want it.

Any time you use the Analog outs of the OPPO, the DACs in the OPPO are producing that Analog audio output. DAC: Digital to Analog Converter.

When you send Analog audio through an AVR, you have to check whether the AVR is set to process that audio. To process Analog audio the AVR first has to re-digitize it. Then that digital audio result is processed, and then the result of that is converted BACK to Analog for output. And that last stage uses the DACs in the AVR. So if you don't want the re-digitizing to happen or the conversion pass through he DACs in the AVR, then you need to set your AVR to "pass through" the Analog audio input -- which means the AVR can do nothing but Volume control.
--Bob
Thanks Bob I got it!
post #1535 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manganzon81 View Post
Thanks Bob I got it!
Thanks Bob and Michael! Everything seems to be working well now.
post #1536 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
OPPO Digital UDP-205 Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Player Review - AVNirvana - 6/14/2017

Conclusion:
The UDP-205 has versatility that’s second to none. Harkening back to my Swiss Army knife analogy, this player truly can do it all, serving as a hub for a massively wide range of AV media. Its flexibility allows it to be integrate neatly into a system, or become the brains of a system…it’s completely your choice! And that’s truly the player’s beauty, as it can be just about anything you need it to be without sacrificing one iota of quality. Both music and movie playback are given the royal treatment, bleeding perfection. The UDP-203 was an easy “Must Buy” recommendation, and the UDP-205 gets my same vote of confidence. If you’re looking for a player that can ace both audio and video playback with utter class, then the UDP-205 is a no-brainer pick up.
Hi,
Usefull review. As far as I know is the 3rd one (in extenso) with the same conclusion - highly recommended. Nice to have.

IMO Oppo 205 has no direct competitor yet, I mean a UHD universal transporter. I own 103D and leaning to 205. Until the end of June I am going to choose the replacement. Next week I will test the flagship player from Sony - X1000. I assume that is Close to Oppo 203. I will see. Thanks, Mike
post #1537 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Yes, if you are using 2.0 XLR output (no Subwoofer connection from the OPPO) then Stereo Signal DOWN-MIXED STEREO is what you want. Do not confuse this with the separate Speaker Configuration > Down Mix setting, which is for the multi-channel Analog outs.
Bob, I have been confusing the two. I have Speaker Configuration set to Down Mix.

The Ayre preamp has no digital inputs nor provision for a sub connection. Following Charles Hansen's suggestion, the single-ended outputs from the preamp go to a crossover with a 100 Hz low-pass card that feeds a pair of subs. The balanced outputs go to an Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp that drives a pair of KEF LS50s.

What setting should I use for speaker configuration?

db
post #1538 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
OPPO Digital UDP-205 Ultra HD Audiophile Blu-ray Player Review - AVNirvana - 6/14/2017

Conclusion:
The UDP-205 has versatility that’s second to none. Harkening back to my Swiss Army knife analogy, this player truly can do it all, serving as a hub for a massively wide range of AV media. Its flexibility allows it to be integrate neatly into a system, or become the brains of a system…it’s completely your choice! And that’s truly the player’s beauty, as it can be just about anything you need it to be without sacrificing one iota of quality. Both music and movie playback are given the royal treatment, bleeding perfection. The UDP-203 was an easy “Must Buy” recommendation, and the UDP-205 gets my same vote of confidence. If you’re looking for a player that can ace both audio and video playback with utter class, then the UDP-205 is a no-brainer pick up.
Would be helpful to know what speakers he was using. The amp and AVR he mentioned are definitely not the most resolving so I am not surprised he couldn't tell much difference with the OPPO DAC in the chain.
jazzrock likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #1539 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I don't think this would work, but I'm going to ask anyway. Currently I am using the 5.1 out of the 205 into my pre amp and I use that if I'm watching a movie that doesn't support atmos. If I am watching a movie that has atmos I just use hdmi to my pre amp. I currently have 2 atmos speakers. Could I take the other two out of the oppo into the height 1 input on my pre amp and let the pre amp process only the height speakers, but let the 205 handle everything else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Marantz AV7702MKii, 2x Marantz MM7055, Oppo UDP-205
Sony 65 A1E
Bowers and Wilkins CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, CM1 S2
SVS Prime Elevation
SVS SB16 Ultra
post #1540 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
I don't think this would work, but I'm going to ask anyway. Currently I am using the 5.1 out of the 205 into my pre amp and I use that if I'm watching a movie that doesn't support atmos. If I am watching a movie that has atmos I just use hdmi to my pre amp. I currently have 2 atmos speakers. Could I take the other two out of the oppo into the height 1 input on my pre amp and let the pre amp process only the height speakers, but let the 205 handle everything else?

No

Theater: Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD, Oppo-205, Anthem AVM60, 7.1.4 B & W CM 7 LR,CDM-cse, CM 1, CM 1 S2, Silverline minuet , SVS SB13 Ultra, Rotel RMB 1555, Parasound A23, Naim NAP 100, EEcolor lut box. Calman, MobileForge, I1D3 & I1pro 2.
Stereo: Aurender N100H, Auralic Vega DAC, Focal Chorus 836 W, BAT VK-3ix, Pass XA 30.5, PPP.
post #1541 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 02:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Bob, I have been confusing the two. I have Speaker Configuration set to Down Mix.

The Ayre preamp has no digital inputs nor provision for a sub connection. Following Charles Hansen's suggestion, the single-ended outputs from the preamp go to a crossover with a 100 Hz low-pass card that feeds a pair of subs. The balanced outputs go to an Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp that drives a pair of KEF LS50s.

What setting should I use for speaker configuration?

db
Since you have an external Crossover in place you do NOT want the OPPO to also be doing Crossover processing.

If you are using the Dedicated Stereo Analog outs of the 205 simply set Stereo Signal to DOWN-MIXED STEREO and you will get a full range signal. The Speaker Configuration settings no longer apply.

--------------------------------

If you are using the multi-channel Analog outs of the 205, go into Speaker Configuration and set all the Speakers to LARGE. That disables Crossover processing. The Crossover frequency setting is thus ignored.

Even though you don't have the Sub output wired from the 205, I recommend you leave the Sub output set to ON. Since you have disabled Crossover, the only content for the Sub output would be the LFE channel of multi-channel tracks. By setting Sub ON (even though it is not wired), any such LFE channel continue simply gets discarded out that unconnected jack. The reason this is wise is that if you leave Sub OFF, the LFE content will be mixed into your LARGE speakers -- which sounds like a good thing, but actually isn't due to the large amount of down-mix attenuation that has to be imposed when you do that. Which raises the noise floor.
--Bob

post #1542 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

We watched the movie "Passengers" yesterday evening. Very impressive picture and sound. I did however feel that the center channel was not quite loud enough for dialogue. So, today I trimmed/adjusted the center speaker by +2. After the adjustment, the maximum volume was then 98, which I get. However, the perceived maximum loudness was quite a bit less than it originally was. So, I then reduced the center channel back to 0. However, the maximum perceived loudness is still fairly diminished. Anyone have any ideas what happened?
post #1543 of 7104 Old 06-16-2017, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am curious about the experience of the audiophiles here with the 205 DAC. I have 200+ hours on it and I continue to be stunned at how good this unit sounds. I always expect a harsh, thin sound for a while but this one hasn't had that. The sound quality has gotten considerably better over the last 100 hours. I am not sure I need to mod this DAC. I would like a good preamp but I really am impressed to this point. I am using it with a Sonicorbiter SE as a Roon endpoint.
post #1544 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
There's probably not enough bass content in what you are playing to trigger the signal detection in the Sub.

Play some bass heavy music and try raising the output volume, and if the Sub turns on that's what's happening.

You may have your Crossover set to low so that the content you are playing simply isn't providing bass down there. Or the sensor in your Sub may not be sensitive enough. If you can't set the Sub to "always on", one common trick with a Sub that has both Left and Right line level inputs is to use a Y-splitter and feed the signal into both of those inputs. You'll need to adjust the volume knob on the Sub to compensate but it should trigger out of standby at a lower signal level.

--Bob

Yup. It came on for another track. So probably the earlier track did not have enough bass detail. The crossover is set at 80Hz. Will the configuration on the AVR conflict with the one on the Oppo?

Focal Chorus 726V | Focal Centre CC800V | NHT SuperZero 2.1 | SVS SB1000 | Cambridge Audio CXR200 | Oppo UDP-205 | | Clearaudio Concept Wood TT | | Clearaudio Nano V2 Phono | Raspberry Pi 3 with Minimserver | Synology NAS DS916+ | VU 65" LED 3D TV | LG OLED B6T "65 |SF Power Conditioner
post #1545 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 06:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by october16 View Post
Yup. It came on for another track. So probably the earlier track did not have enough bass detail. The crossover is set at 80Hz. Will the configuration on the AVR conflict with the one on the Oppo?

You only want Crossover happening in one place for any given signal path. It's OK if it happens in different places for different signal paths.

There may be a Crossover circuit in your Sub. Set the Sub to Bypass/Disable that, or crank it up to its highest frequency choice to get it out of the way as much as possible.

Note some subs have TWO frequency settings where one is its Crossover (limits how high the Sub will go in bass frequencies) and the other is a protection circuit (limits the lowest bass frequencies the Sub will try to reproduce). Don't confuse these two and mistakenly crank the protection frequency up too high. The protection frequency setting will be something like 20hz. The Crossover setting something like 80hz.

The Crossover in the OPPO applies to its multi-channel Analog outs. So there is no Crossover on its Digital audio outs. For Digital audio like HDMI audio use the Crossover in the AVR.

For the Analog outs, the AVR may or may not offer Crossover. Most AVRs offer Crossover for their Stereo Analog inputs, but only higher end AVRs offer it for Multi-channel Analog input. For the AVR to do Crossover, it has to first re-digitize the Analog input. The result after Crossover then gets converted back to Analog by the DACs in the AVR. The re-digitizing and later conversion can mask the quality you are trying to here from the DACs in the OPPO. For the inputs the AVR CAN process for Crossover, there is typically an Analog "pass through" setting which bypasses the re-digitizing and processing. See the Manual and Owners Thread for your AVR.

The upshot is you have to check whether your AVR is doing Crossover for Analog input, and how you can bypass that if you want.

Note that Room Correction stuff in your AVR typically includes Crossover. If you bypass Analog audio processing in the AVR, that also means losing Room Correction for that Analog audio.

Having bypassed the Crossover in the Sub itself, and having discovered whether your AVR can do Crossover for multi-channel Analog input, you have to choose whether the AVR or the OPPO will do your Crossover, because again you only want one device to be doing that at any given time.

If you want the AVR to do that, then turn off Crossover in the OPPO. You do that by setting all speakers LARGE in the OPPO. When all speakers are set LARGE the Crossover frequency setting in the OPPO is ignored.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-17-2017 at 06:14 AM.
post #1546 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06gal View Post
I am curious about the experience of the audiophiles here with the 205 DAC. I have 200+ hours on it and I continue to be stunned at how good this unit sounds. I always expect a harsh, thin sound for a while but this one hasn't had that. The sound quality has gotten considerably better over the last 100 hours. I am not sure I need to mod this DAC. I would like a good preamp but I really am impressed to this point. I am using it with a Sonicorbiter SE as a Roon endpoint.
I do concur with your experience that the UDP-205 sounds wonderful and you certainly would want to question if and to what end you would "upgrade". As I've posted previously in this thread, it is certainly a true audiophile level sounding player. That is supported by many other reviews both professional and otherwise.

Of course, one can always consider R2R type DACS and different delta-sigma DACS (and in many cases way more expensive), but even then, it could boil down to "preference" and not necessarily which is "best". And yes, I understand the DAC itself is only considered to contribute about 20% of the quality and the analog stages and implementation of DAC the rest of the percentage.

Where I disagree with your statement is that - at least in my case - there is no change in sound, for better or worse, after 100 or how ever many hours of listening. If you are noting that sound is "considerably" better, you probably fall into the camp of those who believe in burn in. With the exception of a small window of time for a new speaker to break in, I do not subscribe to this way of thinking in the case of solid state electronics or cables.

Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X
post #1547 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 08:29 AM

If I am running analog outs of the 205 into my Marantz av7702mkii, would my Marantz be re digitizing it? The reason I ask is because I have 2 subs and I just run 6 rca cables out of the 205 into my pre amp.

Sony 65 A1E
SVS Prime Elevation
SVS SB16 Ultra
post #1548 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
I do concur with your experience that the UDP-205 sounds wonderful and you certainly would want to question if and to what end you would "upgrade". As I've posted previously in this thread, it is certainly a true audiophile level sounding player. That is supported by many other reviews both professional and otherwise.

Of course, one can always consider R2R type DACS and different delta-sigma DACS (and in many cases way more expensive), but even then, it could boil down to "preference" and not necessarily which is "best". And yes, I understand the DAC itself is only considered to contribute about 20% of the quality and the analog stages and implementation of DAC the rest of the percentage.

Where I disagree with your statement is that - at least in my case - there is no change in sound, for better or worse, after 100 or how ever many hours of listening. If you are noting that sound is "considerably" better, you probably fall into the camp of those who believe in burn in. With the exception of a small window of time for a new speaker to break in, I do not subscribe to this way of thinking in the case of solid state electronics or cables.

There has been a definite difference in my case in the 100 hours but i will say that I changed to Rhodium IC's and that could be playing into it. In any case, I am most pleased with the sound quality of this unit to this point
post #1549 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
There may be a Crossover circuit in your Sub. Set the Sub to Bypass/Disable that, or crank it up to its highest frequency choice to get it out of the way as much as possible.

Note some subs have TWO frequency settings where one is its Crossover (limits how high the Sub will go in bass frequencies) and the other is a protection circuit (limits the lowest bass frequencies the Sub will try to reproduce). Don't confuse these two and mistakenly crank the protection frequency up too high. The protection frequency setting will be something like 20hz. The Crossover setting something like 80hz.
Must admit, I am little at sea with this. My sub, SVS SB1000, has three knobs at the back, first is volume which is at 12 'o' clock; second is phase @180hz (I am going to bring that to 0, as the speaker wiring is as it should be) and third is Low Pass Filter Crossover Frequency which is set at LFE. The AVR is connected through its sub out to its IN (LFE). I am enclosing an image.

Quote:
The Crossover in the OPPO applies to its multi-channel Analog outs. So there is no Crossover on its Digital audio outs. For Digital audio like HDMI audio use the Crossover in the AVR.
I only use dedicated stereo analog in the Oppo. Will the Oppo crossover apply here?

Quote:
For the Analog outs, the AVR may or may not offer Crossover. Most AVRs offer Crossover for their Stereo Analog inputs, but only higher end AVRs offer it for Multi-channel Analog input. For the AVR to do Crossover, it has to first re-digitize the Analog input. The result after Crossover then gets converted back to Analog by the DACs in the AVR. The re-digitizing and later conversion can mask the quality you are trying to here from the DACs in the OPPO. For the inputs the AVR CAN process for Crossover, there is typically an Analog "pass through" setting which bypasses the re-digitizing and processing. See the Manual and Owners Thread for your AVR.

The upshot is you have to check whether your AVR is doing Crossover for Analog input, and how you can bypass that if you want.

Note that Room Correction stuff in your AVR typically includes Crossover. If you bypass Analog audio processing in the AVR, that also means losing Room Correction for that Analog audio.
I have the Cambridge Audio CXR200, which offers crossovers for Analog setting; stereo as well as multi-channel. Multichannel however, I do not use. I have also disabled Analog processing in the AVR for Analog sources like Oppo and TT. So I think that takes care of the double processing. I was initially getting a very muted sound through Analog till an accidental press of a button on the remote got me to what you are suggesting.

CXR200 is not big for room processing, though it has one that's pretty competent. But I can live with the room correction off for 2.1. After the current set up, the first thing I checked was if the phantom centre still existed. It was there.

Quote:
If you want the AVR to do that, then turn off Crossover in the OPPO. You do that by setting all speakers LARGE in the OPPO. When all speakers are set LARGE the Crossover frequency setting in the OPPO is ignored.
--Bob
Now, I am a little confused here, so clarifying. I do want my AVR to do the crossover. However, if I set speakers 'LARGE' in Oppo, will it be bifurcating bass signal for the sub? Or is it that Oppo sends the signal wholesome to the AVR, which will then send the appropriate signals or waves to the LF/RF and the sub?

Thank you for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2356.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	2192457  

Focal Chorus 726V | Focal Centre CC800V | NHT SuperZero 2.1 | SVS SB1000 | Cambridge Audio CXR200 | Oppo UDP-205 | | Clearaudio Concept Wood TT | | Clearaudio Nano V2 Phono | Raspberry Pi 3 with Minimserver | Synology NAS DS916+ | VU 65" LED 3D TV | LG OLED B6T "65 |SF Power Conditioner
post #1550 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Vater View Post
We watched the movie "Passengers" yesterday evening. Very impressive picture and sound. I did however feel that the center channel was not quite loud enough for dialogue. So, today I trimmed/adjusted the center speaker by +2. After the adjustment, the maximum volume was then 98, which I get. However, the perceived maximum loudness was quite a bit less than it originally was. So, I then reduced the center channel back to 0. However, the maximum perceived loudness is still fairly diminished. Anyone have any ideas what happened?
Apparently, the Volume Output setting got changed from Fixed to Variable. I changed it back to Fixed and all is well again.
post #1551 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 12:48 PM

I connected the Oppo dedicated stereo RCA out to my Yamaha rx-3040 Multichannel front L&R. Now where do I connect my sub amp?
post #1552 of 7104 Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Anyone can advise if I'll be able to get the best possible sound from Hi-res AUDIO tracks for the 2channel audio with these setup:

- UDP-205
- Denon x3100w
- 2 X Titan-615LX

Here is the back of Denon AVR I have

The audio tracks will be accessible through network NAS to OPPO ... but the 2Channel speakers are about 25 feet away
I am a bit fuzzy how to connect them and which cables to use (speaker wires, RCA cables, HDMI etc.) If I absolutely need another component to the setup or I need to replace Denon for something else, please advise. I am after the best possible solution. Thanks

Last edited by olegg; 06-17-2017 at 10:25 PM.
post #1553 of 7104 Old 06-18-2017, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread

Hi Bob (or anyone else feeling confident enough to answer this),

I read a lot of your posts about setting up analog out. Great explanation but not very easy subject matter as I see the large amount of follow up questions.
I have a 5.1 setup which I use with a multi channel reciever / amplifier (a NAD t787 in my case) and FL/FR speakers with a lower reach of 68 Hz. I use it for movie as well as music. In the Oppo I defined my LF/RF as Small.

Apart from analog 5.1 (which works quite well, crossover in Oppo, analog bypass in t787) I want to have the best possible stereo setup possible via my analogs.
Do I understand the following correctly?
- If I were to use the dedicated stereo RCA on a different input of the t787, I would have to set my LF/RF to large, stereo out to LF/RF thus creating a full signal. My t787 would have to be on another preset than the 5.1 because the 5.1 preset is on analog bypass. The t787 would then redigitize the analog 2.0 input to make it 2.1, with some quality impact.
- Because in the Oppo my 5.1 and 2.0 setup define the LF/RF differently (Small vs Large), I would have to cover that issue as well when switching between 5.1 and stereo listening.
- Conclusion: in my setup the 5.1 is probably best for playing stereo as well.

In the case the above being correct, my idea would be that for me and other people with non full speakers using analog, only setting up the analog 5/7.1 should be fine.
Is this correct?

I read in your posts I could wire my dedicated stereo RCA's to the LF/RF inputs of my amp. Is there any quality advantage in that?

Thanks!

Jeroen Top
Samsung UE40KU6479, NAD t787, Oppo UDP-205
Anthony-Gallo 5.1: Strada 2 (L/R), A'Diva SE (C/SL/SR), TR-3D
post #1554 of 7104 Old 06-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegg View Post
...but the 2Channel speakers are about 25 feet away I am a bit fuzzy how to connect them and which cables to use (speaker wires, RCA cables, HDMI etc.)...
Speaker wire.

Golden Ear Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X
post #1555 of 7104 Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 180
umm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeroenTop View Post
Hi Bob (or anyone else feeling confident enough to answer this),

I read a lot of your posts about setting up analog out. Great explanation but not very easy subject matter as I see the large amount of follow up questions.
I have a 5.1 setup which I use with a multi channel reciever / amplifier (a NAD t787 in my case) and FL/FR speakers with a lower reach of 68 Hz. I use it for movie as well as music. In the Oppo I defined my LF/RF as Small.

Apart from analog 5.1 (which works quite well, crossover in Oppo, analog bypass in t787) I want to have the best possible stereo setup possible via my analogs.
Do I understand the following correctly?
- If I were to use the dedicated stereo RCA on a different input of the t787, I would have to set my LF/RF to large, stereo out to LF/RF thus creating a full signal. My t787 would have to be on another preset than the 5.1 because the 5.1 preset is on analog bypass. The t787 would then redigitize the analog 2.0 input to make it 2.1, with some quality impact.
- Because in the Oppo my 5.1 and 2.0 setup define the LF/RF differently (Small vs Large), I would have to cover that issue as well when switching between 5.1 and stereo listening.
- Conclusion: in my setup the 5.1 is probably best for playing stereo as well.

In the case the above being correct, my idea would be that for me and other people with non full speakers using analog, only setting up the analog 5/7.1 should be fine.
Is this correct?

I read in your posts I could wire my dedicated stereo RCA's to the LF/RF inputs of my amp. Is there any quality advantage in that?

Thanks!

Just configure the Oppo to do BM and use the 7.1 inputs in which case you'll get 2.1 output on all PCM stereo sources. You can, of course, use the higher quality front L,R outputs from the Oppo as long as you choose this option. The only downside is that even if your pre-pro adds 10 dB to the subwoofer signal you'll need to turn the sub up an additional 5 dB when using the 7.1 inputs. (You need to defeat the extra 5 dB when playing SACD x.1 or digitally through your pre-pro.)

If your pre-pro supported xlr inputs you could also completely defeat BM for pure stereo output without changing the Oppo's internal configuration.

5 Paradigm Studio 100 v3s, Servo-15 sub, Bryston 4B & 6B SST, Anthem AVM 20, Oppo bdp-95, LG 55" oled C7

Last edited by Jim Pearce; 06-18-2017 at 08:52 AM.
post #1556 of 7104 Old 06-18-2017, 08:50 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegg View Post
Anyone can advise if I'll be able to get the best possible sound from Hi-res AUDIO tracks for the 2channel audio with these setup:

- UDP-205
- Denon x3100w
- 2 X Titan-615LX

<snip>

The audio tracks will be accessible through network NAS to OPPO ... but the 2Channel speakers are about 25 feet away
I am a bit fuzzy how to connect them and which cables to use (speaker wires, RCA cables, HDMI etc.) If I absolutely need another component to the setup or I need to replace Denon for something else, please advise. I am after the best possible solution. Thanks
Tell us more about what how your system is setup and what your goals are. It sounds like you may have two systems, one for TV / movies and the other for music (with separate speakers for each) and you'd like to use the Oppo as a source for both.

If my assumption is true, then a good option may be to continue to use your AVR for TV / movies and get either an integrated amp or a power amp to connect to the Oppo's analog outputs and your 2 channel speakers. But it's really difficult to say what the "best" solution is without more info, including what sort of budget you have to work with.
post #1557 of 7104 Old 06-18-2017, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
^^ Spot on. I am all rears, thank you for advising. The two system as you mentioned

The main one 5.1 - Home Theatre in the basement which has speakers behind false wall:

- 3 LCR Boston Acoustics A26 Two-Way Bookshelf Speaker 6.5” Woofer
- JTR CAPTIVATOR 1400
- 2 surrounds RSL C34E In-Ceiling Speakers and projector. All of them connected (speaker wires & HDMI) to the media cabinet in the kitchen right above.

The 2nd one - 2 channel audio with 2 Titan-615LX in lounge, which opens to the kitchen area, I have split level townhouse. Titans need to be connected to that same kitchen media cabinet, that's about 20-25 ft in subfloor.

Now, as you said I need to voice my goals. I would like to get the best possible sound from Hi-res AUDIO tracks for the 2channel audio and second I would like to play HD movies to my HT in the basement with the help of OPPO 203 or 205. And once again as you rightly guessed - Oppo as a source for both.

My budget is not really big, maybe 500 - 1000 or might stretch beyond that, would like to know my options (I am after the best possible solution for me ), unfortunately I don't have much experience with integrated amp or a power amp. That is why I asked here for help. I think I guessed it right that I can't make it work with what I have now. Also as a question, in my situation which OPPO I should buy? Thank you and waiting patiently for your thoughts.
post #1558 of 7104 Old 06-18-2017, 12:22 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
^ Given your stated budget, the 203 would probably make far more sense than a 205 and the analog outputs are still quite good.

It doesn't look like your AVR has a second zone output unless the Atmos outputs can be reconfigured as a second zone.

If you want to go with the option of using an amp between the Oppo and your Titan speakers, ATI and Parasound have some options that would give you excellent sound and fall within your budget. Emotive would be another option. Also consider the option of buying a used amp as you'll get a better amp for the same money. These options are better discussed in the appropriate amp / AVR / prepro forum though rather than in this thread.
post #1559 of 7104 Old 06-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
If I am running analog outs of the 205 into my Marantz av7702mkii, would my Marantz be re digitizing it? The reason I ask is because I have 2 subs and I just run 6 rca cables out of the 205 into my pre amp.

I don't know your Marantz, but you can probably find this info in the Owner's Thread for it here or in its Manual. Typically only higher end AVRs will be able to "process" multi-channel Analog input.

You can check this yourself, too. If the Marantz does Crossover processing, or Room Correction, or speaker distance adjustment, or room correction, or down-mixing (more input channels to fewer speaker outputs), or surround sound processing (fewer input channels to more speaker outputs), then it is re-digitizing and processing that multi-channel Analog audio. It likely DOES do that stuff for Stereo Analog inputs, so look for things in the Manual saying such and so processing is available for stereo analog input, but not for multi-channel analog input.

And you can do experiments to see whether such stuff is happening or not on the multi-channel analog input.

In addition, if it DOES do such processing on multi-channel Analog input, it will almost certainly offer a "pass through" setting so you can bypass/disable such processing. If there is no such setting, that would be more evidence it does not process multi-channel Analog input.
--Bob

post #1560 of 7104 Old 06-18-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I don't know your Marantz, but you can probably find this info in the Owner's Thread for it here or in its Manual. Typically only higher end AVRs will be able to "process" multi-channel Analog input.

You can check this yourself, too. If the Marantz does Crossover processing, or Room Correction, or speaker distance adjustment, or room correction, or down-mixing (more input channels to fewer speaker outputs), or surround sound processing (fewer input channels to more speaker outputs), then it is re-digitizing and processing that multi-channel Analog audio. It likely DOES do that stuff for Stereo Analog inputs, so look for things in the Manual saying such and so processing is available for stereo analog input, but not for multi-channel analog input.

And you can do experiments to see whether such stuff is happening or not on the multi-channel analog input.

In addition, if it DOES do such processing on multi-channel Analog input, it will almost certainly offer a "pass through" setting so you can bypass/disable such processing. If there is no such setting, that would be more evidence it does not process multi-channel Analog input.
--Bob
I'll check it out. It's a Marantz av7702mkii

Sony 65 A1E
SVS Prime Elevation
SVS SB16 Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version