Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4168Likes

post #2701 of 7104 Old 10-27-2017, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon77 View Post
Hi, I just installed:

LG Oled 65" tv

Oppo 205 - preamp, cd/blu-ray player

Marantz MM7705 5-Channel Amp (200W/channel)

Triad Silver Inroom Monitors L-R, plus Center

Triad Subwoofers (2), independently powered

Triad Surrounds

The Oppo has analag RCAs to the Marantz amp, five plus one for sub split into two.

So I was all set to be blown away - I wasn't. Movies look/sound great, helped by both subs kicking in nicely. But music is WEAK. By that I mean with the OPPO volume turned up to 95, it's not even that loud, certainly not what you'd expect from these speakers being powered with the Marantz amp.

Also, I can't figure out how to enable the subs to kick in with music, it only happens with movies.

My installer is surprised as he "knows" there should be much more powerful sound coming out of the Triads, even without the subs.

Does anyone know about the Oppo's 'weakening' the signal/sound?? I tried some of the different speaker/configuration settings, to no avail.

Should I return the Oppo, get a proper pre-amp and (cheaper) blu-ray/cd player - maybe the 203?

Thank you!

It doesn’t sound like you setup the Oppo for your configuration and probably why it doesn’t sound as good as it should. There are a lot of recommended settings at the beginning of this thread for various configurations that would be worth reviewing.

Also, the Marantz MM7705 5-Channel Amp is actually 140W per channel into 8 ohm, not sure about 4 ohm though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
Upgraditus is a real disease

Last edited by T-smith; 10-27-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 7104 Old 10-27-2017, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Hi, I just installed:

LG Oled 65" tv
Oppo 205 - preamp, cd/blu-ray player
Marantz MM7705 5-Channel Amp (200W/channel)
Triad Silver Inroom Monitors L-R, plus Center
Triad Subwoofers (2), independently powered
Triad Surrounds

The Oppo has analag RCAs to the Marantz amp, five plus one for sub split into two.

So I was all set to be blown away - I wasn't. Movies look/sound great, helped by both subs kicking in nicely. But music is WEAK. By that I mean with the OPPO volume turned up to 95, it's not even that loud, certainly not what you'd expect from these speakers being powered with the Marantz amp.

Also, I can't figure out how to enable the subs to kick in with music, it only happens with movies.

My installer is surprised as he "knows" there should be much more powerful sound coming out of the Triads, even without the subs.

Does anyone know about the Oppo's 'weakening' the signal/sound?? I tried some of the different speaker/configuration settings, to no avail.

Should I return the Oppo, get a proper pre-amp and (cheaper) blu-ray/cd player - maybe the 203?

Thank you!
Brandon. Install the latest firmware, that will fix your issue.
Your installer seems incompetent. Get someone else.
post #2703 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
It doesn’t sound like you setup the Oppo for your configuration and probably why it doesn’t sound as good as it should. There are a lot of recommended settings at the beginning of this thread for various configurations that would be worth reviewing.

Also, the Marantz MM7705 5-Channel Amp is actually 140W per channel into 8 ohm, not sure about 4 ohm though

thank you, yes you're correct the Marantz is 5x140W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternz1 View Post
Brandon. Install the latest firmware, that will fix your issue.
Your installer seems incompetent. Get someone else.
Thank you for the feedback. : ) Your answer seems to confirm there's likely nothing lacking in the amplification/speaker arrangement. I don't know yet if my installer is out of his depth as this is an unusual config and he's not worked on Oppos, but he swears by the more common Marantz (or Parasound) amps matched with Triads.

So I will research to see if there's some reason [[Oppo 205 > no pre-amp > Marantz Amp]], perhaps the MM7055/Oppo 205 don't 'play nice.'

Follow-up Question: If the firmware update you recommend doesn't improve the issue and I exchange the Oppo 205 for:
1) New pre-amp - Marantz or Yamaha (< $2,000)
2) lower-end Oppo (203?) or equivalent (< $600)

- - will I be actually degrading the sound quality in favor of convenience, ease of use etc?
post #2705 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. : ) Your answer seems to confirm there's likely nothing lacking in the amplification/speaker arrangement. I don't know yet if my installer is out of his depth as this is an unusual config and he's not worked on Oppos, but he swears by the more common Marantz (or Parasound) amps matched with Triads.

So I will research to see if there's some reason [[Oppo 205 > no pre-amp > Marantz Amp]], perhaps the MM7055/Oppo 205 don't 'play nice.'

Follow-up Question: If the firmware update you recommend doesn't improve the issue and I exchange the Oppo 205 for:
1) New pre-amp - Marantz or Yamaha (< $2,000)
2) lower-end Oppo (203?) or equivalent (< $600)

- - will I be actually degrading the sound quality in favor of convenience, ease of use etc?
It takes about 5 minutes to update the firmware. Please do that before you go any further. I recently got a 205 and the volume scale was incorrectly calibrated from the factory. On a scale for 0 to 100 it was almost dead silent form 0 to 30 and fairly soft from there upwards. I installed the latest firmware and now the scale works largely as you would expect.

I would expect an installer to update firmware as part of an install. If he is not doing that, then expect corners to be cut elsewhere too.

Last edited by Peternz1; 10-28-2017 at 12:48 PM.
post #2706 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
I expect it will easily surpass pretty much any external headphone amp. The problem with an external headphone amp is that it requires extra circuitry, power supply, interconnect cables, etc., that are not going to improve the sound.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-Features.aspx
"For a more intimate listening experience, headphones can be connected directly to the UDP-205’s built-in headphone amplifier. The headphone amplifier is connected directly to the ESS SABRE PRO DAC and offers a unique performance advantage over standalone headphone amplifiers."

I don't really see how you can improve much on that. The only scenario I can imagine is if you have headphones that are extremely hard to drive and need something like a speaker amp. Such headphones are few and far between.

(The only gripe I have with the Oppo's headphone output is that on a volume scale of 0 to 100, 0 is silent and 1 is too loud for my taste for quiet listening. I will probably have to get a resistor to put in line with it, or something like that, because Oppo seems to think that 1 is not too loud. The fact is that the volume scale at low levels just seems to be too fine. The difference between 1 and 10 is slight.)
Let’s not get too fanboyish yet!

My Sennheiser amp has done me well over the past few years. I’ll play this weekend and see what I think. It does not have a DAC so no gain there.

Rick
post #2707 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 06:31 PM
BP

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Did your 205 sound great on concert DVD's on first play?

Hi:
Quick question for those more experienced with the 205.
When I hooked it up my first disks were surround sound concert disks (James Taylor, Chicago/Earth Wind & Fire) via HDMI into my pre-pro.
Ive spent this entire year having my listening space ripped apart and rebuilt, then fine turning and tweaking the system. Its an unusually highly resolving system that I spend hours with eery night. I am saying this so you will understand i know how my system can and should sound. The HDMI cable is overpriced and well regarded so I don't think thats an issue. It was used in my last iteration of my system.
Prior to the Oppo I had a McIntosh MVP891 and it sounded OK. When I hooked up the 205 and played it the sound was flat and recessive. In your experience, did the 205 sound better after being played for a while?

Second Question:
My pre pro is getting an Atmos upgrade soon so I will be without it for a couple weeks. Thats too long for me to be without music. So I am wondering if I use the balanced outputs to my FR and FL mono block amps can I also use the RCA sub out from the multi channel section to drive my subwoofers? Are all outputs active even if I down mix the signal to stereo?
I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks.
bp

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
post #2708 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Hi:

When I hooked it up my first disks were surround sound concert disks (James Taylor, Chicago/Earth Wind & Fire) via HDMI into my pre-pro.

Ive spent this entire year having my listening space ripped apart and rebuilt, then fine turning and tweaking the system. Its an unusually highly resolving system that I spend hours with eery night. I am saying this so you will understand i know how my system can and should sound. The HDMI cable is overpriced and well regarded so I don't think thats an issue. It was used in my last iteration of my system.

Prior to the Oppo I had a McIntosh MVP891 and it sounded OK. When I hooked up the 205 and played it the sound was flat and recessive. In your experience, did the 205 sound better after being played for a while?

What do you have HDMI Audio Format set to under Audio Output Setup? If it’s set to Bitstream and I’m assuming it is then you are using the DAC in the Prepro and not the Oppo.

If you want to use the DAC in the Oppo but still listen to surround you would be better off using the analog outs of the Oppo and not HDMI.

I am a big believer in break in time for components and that the Oppo will sound better after 50 hours or so but that won’t matter if you are using HDMI and sending Bitstream.

-
post #2709 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Hi:

Second Question:
My pre pro is getting an Atmos upgrade soon so I will be without it for a couple weeks. Thats too long for me to be without music. So I am wondering if I use the balanced outputs to my FR and FL mono block amps can I also use the RCA sub out from the multi channel section to drive my subwoofers? Are all outputs active even if I down mix the signal to stereo?
I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks.
bp
T-Smith is right. If you want to hear what the 205 is designed to do, use the analog outputs. Those of the connections hooked up to the ESS DACs. If you use HDMI, you are just passing the digital signal to the pre-pro and you're just using its DAC, the same as you always have. That is necessary if you want to do things like Dolby Atmos or DTS:X, but not if you're trying to make the most of your music. For example, I have a Marantz 7703 as my pre-pro. It's no slouch as a music DAC from the HDMI inputs but the Oppo through the analog ports raise it to another level.

For your second question, yes it is possible to use the 205 as a pre-amp itself, directly connected to the amps. There is a fair amount of text already written on this forum to help on that.
post #2710 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 09:26 PM
BP

Hi Tsmith and Sevenfeet:
Appreciate your responses. It is understood that some break in will improve audio performance.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough on my 2nd question.
Please understand my comments are in no way negative about the 205.
I do have the 205 currently set to bitstream because the DACs in my prepro, a Theta CBIV with the newest DAC cards, are likely far better than the Oppo DACs. Let's not argue this point for now. My ears will be the ultimate judge about how it sounds relative to the Theta in my system.
But with my prepro being shipped to Theta for an Atmos upgrade I wanted to use the Oppo as a pre pro and DAC while the Theta is being upgraded...
Back to my 2nd question:
can I use the balanced outputs for the L & R speakers and the subwoofer output at the same time?
I would expect I can feed my Aurender streamer to the 205 through an AES or USB connection.
Thanks again!
bp

BP

post #2711 of 7104 Old 10-28-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
It takes about 5 minutes to update the firmware. Please do that before you go any further. I recently got a 205 and the volume scale was incorrectly calibrated from the factory. On a scale for 0 to 100 it was almost dead silent form 0 to 30 and fairly soft from there upwards. I installed the latest firmware and now the scale works largely as you would expect.

I would expect an installer to update firmware as part of an install. If he is not doing that, then expect corners to be cut elsewhere too.
Thanks. To be fair, this was only 'part 1' of the install. Calibration/tweaking etc was going to be done another day but I thought I'd try to learn some things as well in the interim.

I did do a firmware upgrade on the Oppo and it was a huge improvement in power/loudness coming through the L-Rs, so : ) Why would this have made such a difference I wonder?
post #2712 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
break in

Quote:
What do you have HDMI Audio Format set to under Audio Output Setup? If it’s set to Bitstream and I’m assuming it is then you are using the DAC in the Prepro and not the Oppo.

If you want to use the DAC in the Oppo but still listen to surround you would be better off using the analog outs of the Oppo and not HDMI.

I am a big believer in break in time for components and that the Oppo will sound better after 50 hours or so but that won’t matter if you are using HDMI and sending Bitstream.

Interesting.
Oppo will sound better after 50 hours or so
but
won’t matter if you are using HDMI and sending Bitstream.

Part of electronics circuitry will sound better and another part not.
post #2713 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAWA View Post
Interesting.
Oppo will sound better after 50 hours or so
but
won’t matter if you are using HDMI and sending Bitstream.

Part of electronics circuitry will sound better and another part not.

Not hard to figure out if you understand what Bitstream means

-
post #2714 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Back to my 2nd question:
can I use the balanced outputs for the L & R speakers and the subwoofer output at the same time?
I would expect I can feed my Aurender streamer to the 205 through an AES or USB connection.
Thanks again!
bp
Yes, this is how I use the 205.

The Dedicated Stereo outs can be configured to operate independently or as part of a multi-channel configuration. You control this with the Stereo Signal setting.

If you want the OPPO to do the Crossover processing to steer bass to your sub(s) you will need to set up a multi-channel configuration:

Wire a Dedicated L/R pair to your stereo pre-amp / power-amp.

Wire the Subwoofer output of the multi-channel set to your sub(s).

Set Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT.

In Speaker Configuration, set Left Front and Right Front to SMALL. Set Down-mix to Stereo. *AFTER* setting Down-mix to Stereo, set the Subwoofer to ON. (You can also set speaker distance and volume trims for L/R/Sub.)

Set this way the Dedicated Stereo L/R pair will respond to the settings you have just made for LF/RF of the multi-channel set, meaning Crossover will be active on them.

Select a Crossover frequency.
post #2715 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 08:58 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 2511
Quote:
I did do a firmware upgrade on the Oppo and it was a huge improvement in power/loudness coming through the L-Rs, so : ) Why would this have made such a difference I wonder?
They adjusted the volume steps in the firmware update. IIRC, they went from 1dB steps to .5dB steps.
post #2716 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audyssey and no sound or choices

1- How does the speaker configuration in the oppo 205 Blu-ray player affect room correction that you accomplish with REW or Audyssey in your pre/pro. In other words; I run Audyssey MultiEQ Platinum on my Marantz AV7703 and I also use the Audyssey app. But, the oppo 205 also has its own speaker configuration. Do you ignore it or set it as close as you can to the Audyssey setting? Confused

2- T-Smith it looks like I have the same set-up as you, Marantz AV7703 and oppo 205. I'm running Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D. I'm using the 7.1 outs to the Marantz 7.1 inputs, the dedicated stereo outs to the Marantz CD input and the HDMI out to the Blu-ray input. Selecting Blu-ray on the 205, I can no longer select any of the audio formats. In the Marantz set-up you have a choice of 7.1 or HDMI, I get no sound if I select HDMI. Any thoughts.

post #2717 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy S View Post
1- How does the speaker configuration in the oppo 205 Blu-ray player affect room correction that you accomplish with REW or Audyssey in your pre/pro. In other words; I run Audyssey MultiEQ Platinum on my Marantz AV7703 and I also use the Audyssey app. But, the oppo 205 also has its own speaker configuration. Do you ignore it or set it as close as you can to the Audyssey setting? Confused
You should use one or the other. Each is constructed to do the task unassisted and using both can result in suboptimal performance.

Quote:
2- T-Smith it looks like I have the same set-up as you, Marantz AV7703 and oppo 205. I'm running Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D. I'm using the 7.1 outs to the Marantz 7.1 inputs, the dedicated stereo outs to the Marantz CD input and the HDMI out to the Blu-ray input. Selecting Blu-ray on the 205, I can no longer select any of the audio formats. In the Marantz set-up you have a choice of 7.1 or HDMI, I get no sound if I select HDMI. Any thoughts.
Selecting the 7.1 analog inputs will bypass all processing in the Marantz. You must use HDMI for that. You can logically assign the 7.1 input to any of the major inputs on the Marantz but you can assign them as the audio input "BluRay." If so, the Marantz will play the "BluRay" HDMI video and the 7.1 analog input for audio but, as I said above, without any processing.

As a result, I suggest that you choose to play "Bluray" via HDMI, both audio and video, in order to enjoy the immersive CODECs and assign the 7.1 analog source to another input if/when you want to play multichannel audio.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2718 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy S View Post

The Oppo doesn’t decode Atmos, DTS:X, or Auro-3D so for this you want to use HDMI out from Oppo set to Bitstream going to HDMI in Bluray on Marantz. You also need to make sure you have Marantz Audio for Bluray input set to HDMI. This will let the Marantz decode the Atmos, DTS:X, or Auro-3D and not the Oppo.

-

Last edited by T-smith; 10-29-2017 at 09:58 AM.
post #2719 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The Oppo doesn’t decode Atmos, DTS:X, or Auro-3D so for this you want to use HDMI out from Oppo set to Bitstream going to HDMI in Bluray on Marantz. You also need to make sure you have Marantz Audio for Bluray input set to HDMI. This will let the Marantz decode the Atmos, DTS:X, or Auro-3D and not the Oppo.

Thank you T-Smith I'll try these settings.

post #2720 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Hi Tsmith and Sevenfeet:
Appreciate your responses. It is understood that some break in will improve audio performance.
I do have the 205 currently set to bitstream because the DACs in my prepro, a Theta CBIV with the newest DAC cards, are likely far better than the Oppo DACs. Let's not argue this point for now. My ears will be the ultimate judge about how it sounds relative to the Theta in my system.
But with my prepro being shipped to Theta for an Atmos upgrade I wanted to use the Oppo as a pre pro and DAC while the Theta is being upgraded...
Back to my 2nd question:
Thanks again!
bp
We weren't trying to slam your choice in pre-pros. Indeed, the Casablanca IV is an impressive piece of hardware, far out of the budget of many of us here. But how sound is presented is always subjective. But in the end, if you think the CBIVs DACs sound better than the ones in the 205, by all means use them and just use HDMI out of the 205. The only think I can guarantee is that if the CBIV isn't using ESS DACs, it will certainly sound different.

In my house, the 205 is king after I've heard three different things with DACs in it...my Denon X2000 receiver (via Airplay), my Marantz 7703 pre-pro (Airplay or DLNA), my portable Oppo HA-2 (USB) and the Oppo 205 (DLNA or USB). Now presentation is also dependent on the amps being used, the speakers in question and other factors. But it's pretty clear that in my house, the X2000 is dead last, with the trebles very veiled except for a particular zone that almost seems out of place. The HA-2 and 7703 are pretty even although they both do things differently to the sound. Again, it's a listener choice. But the 205 is the best I own with a particular presentation with lots of air that I like. Of course, some call this the ESS "Glare" and don't like it one bit.

And of course, none of these things are in the class of a $20K CBIV.
post #2721 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've had my 205 for a week now- and I'm really impressed with it! The forum has been great source for info- and from what I can tell the 'stock configuration/setup' should be fine for most users. The only change I made was to 'Audio Format' - which I changed to LPMC from 'Auto'- since I do not have any 'atmosphere' speakers - just a 7.1 system. For most part I've been using the 7.1 output- which on my processor I select 'Pure Direct' to take advantage of the OPPO DACs'.
post #2722 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Why would this have made such a difference I wonder?
I hate to repeat myself, but: " I recently got a 205 and the volume scale was incorrectly calibrated from the factory. On a scale for 0 to 100 it was almost dead silent form 0 to 30 and fairly soft from there upwards. I installed the latest firmware and now the scale works largely as you would expect. "

This is a calibration issue. Your Oppo has not become more powerful. The numbers on the scale simply have a different meaning now than they did previously.

It saddens me that consumers generally seem to have a low understanding of this issue. They will for example think that music A sounds better than music B, simply because music A is compressed and sounds louder than music B for a given volume setting. This has led to the so called "loudness wars" that have resulted in an endless stream of recordings that in my opinion compressed and dynamically dead.

Many will think that amplifier A is more powerful than amplifier B, simply because it sounds louder when the volume control is set to a given point, say 9 o'clock. The fact is that the opposite may very well be true.

Finally, source components that sound louder for a given volume setting are often thought to be more powerful/better sounding than components that are not as loud at a given point. This has led to an inflation in the so called line level (standard voltage output at 0dB), sometimes to the extent that a source component is set to produce such a high voltage that there is a risk of it overloading downstream components.

How can you avoid being fooled by all this? When comparing components, just set each them to a level you like to listen to. Ignore where that happens to be on some volume scale.

I still think your installer is incompetent, Brandon. If he did not get this, what else does he not get?
post #2723 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 01:56 PM
BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lairpost View Post
Quote:
Back to my 2nd question:
can I use the balanced outputs for the L &amp; R speakers and the subwoofer output at the same time?
Thanks again!
bp
Yes, this is how I use the 205.

The Dedicated Stereo outs can be configured to operate independently or as part of a multi-channel configuration. You control this with the Stereo Signal setting.

If you want the OPPO to do the Crossover processing to steer bass to your sub(s) you will need to set up a multi-channel configuration:

Wire a Dedicated L/R pair to your stereo pre-amp / power-amp.

Wire the Subwoofer output of the multi-channel set to your sub(s).

Set Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT.

In Speaker Configuration, set Left Front and Right Front to SMALL. Set Down-mix to Stereo. *AFTER* setting Down-mix to Stereo, set the Subwoofer to ON. (You can also set speaker distance and volume trims for L/R/Sub.)

Set this way the Dedicated Stereo L/R pair will respond to the settings you have just made for LF/RF of the multi-channel set, meaning Crossover will be active on them.

Select a Crossover frequency.
Hi lairpost: Very useful response! I had planned to use the crossover in the woofer but prefer the method you described for a couple reasons.

One last item I'm still not clear on: if I set the config as noted does it matter if the L/R signals come from the balanced or single ended outputs of the 205 while the woofer signal comes from the single ended (multi channel) outputs?
Thanks!!
bp

BP

post #2724 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 02:16 PM
BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
Quote:
Hi Tsmith and Sevenfeet:
Back to my 2nd question:
can I use the balanced outputs for the L &amp; R speakers and the subwoofer output at the same time?
Thanks again!
bp
We weren't trying to slam your choice in pre-pros. Indeed, the Casablanca IV is an impressive piece of hardware, far out of the budget of many of us here. But how sound is presented is always subjective. But in the end, if you think the CBIVs DACs sound better than the ones in the 205, by all means use them and just use HDMI out of the 205. The only think I can guarantee is that if the CBIV isn't using ESS DACs, it will certainly sound different.

In my house, the 205 is king after I've heard three different things with DACs in it...my Denon X2000 receiver (via Airplay), my Marantz 7703 pre-pro (Airplay or DLNA), my portable Oppo HA-2 (USB) and the Oppo 205 (DLNA or USB). Now presentation is also dependent on the amps being used, the speakers in question and other factors. But it's pretty clear that in my house, the X2000 is dead last, with the trebles very veiled except for a particular zone that almost seems out of place. The HA-2 and 7703 are pretty even although they both do things differently to the sound. Again, it's a listener choice. But the 205 is the best I own with a particular presentation with lots of air that I like. Of course, some call this the ESS "Glare" and don't like it one bit.

And of course, none of these things are in the class of a $20K CBIV. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.avsforum.com//forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Hey Sevenfeet: No offense taken. You were blind to my set up which I haven't updated on AVS for years. I've been at this hobby for over 55 years, after being educated by a father having classic Marantz tube equipment playing through Olsen LC 1A's (15" with centerfugal tweeter studio monitoring speakers). Things have changed since then!!?
Your in home DAC results are, to me, as expected. I use a 5 year old Marantz for a smaller HT in a 2nd home and the gap between I and my primary system is huge. Way more than the Marantz vs Theta contribute to this including a built for purpose listening space designed to be acoustically "kind" to the system.
As you correctly point out, audio is a subjective pursuit with no standards for absolute measurements like video has.
I will let you know how the 205 soIndia to me after I try it. I'm away from my primary system for another week and miss it so much.
To tell the truth, I placed a set of Still Point SS's under the 205 and the improvement was significant. But I still haven't reached 50 hours.
Quite a device. I've been loving the HDR on the new Sony AE1 and th audio is getting there.
If you get a chance to hear the latest DAC card from Theta give it a listen. Good enough for others to give up an older $15k stand-alone DAC. Digital conversion is their forte.
Yet. I might still prefer the 205 and am totally open to that possibility. Stranger things have happened!!?
bp

BP

post #2725 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi all, does the 203 and 205 support mkv files with atmos via usb hd?
post #2726 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Schwabe View Post
Hi all, does the 203 and 205 support mkv files with atmos via usb hd?
I play mkv files through it via network. I have no idea if itll do atmos through usb.. ATMOS btw is simply a layer in the HD audio track.

FYI - encoders and "scene" people are still experimenting with proper container formats for UHD discs and will likely be a few months at least until a standard is reached.
post #2727 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 04:43 PM

Please help me understand this behavior

When I play a physical disc, most recently a DVD-Audio disc, when I alter either the crossover or the sub distance or level setting there is a brief pause before resuming with the new settings. The toggle to turn off/on the sub output also clearly is active.

With the 205 configured the very same way, when I play a streaming source though the network connection, there is no pause when I change either crossover or sub distance or level settings. I can tell that the subwoofer levels settings are increasing or decreasing as a change up or down, but turning the setting for sub on or off does nothing, I continue to get sub output.

I’m wired using XLR L/R direct to 2-ch amp and multi-channel sub out to active sub, same in both cases. Please help me understand the difference in behavior and how to confirm the crossover and sub distance settings are in fact being used when using the network streaming,

In both cases, I have Stereo Signal set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. In speaker config, L and R are set to Small, and a crossover is set.

I just tested with HDMI IN (Chromecast Ultra) and the crossover and sub on/off and distance changes results in a audio pause just like the physical disc. Only the Ethernet port seems to behave as if the x-over and sub on/off don't do anything.

Thank you

Back to answer my own question. I appears that when using the Ethernet interface into the 205 from sources such as Roon, the bass management is NOT active. I have confirmed it is NOT active with Roon as I wanted to use the DSP and convolution filters to 'correct' my listening roon. Unfortunately, this is currently not possible as Roon 'bypasses' the crossover settings in 205. I've not tested other network sources as I'm too frustrated at this moment to do so.

I realize the 205 is a work in progress but you'd think Roon Ready would enable functionality not bypass it.

Last edited by lairpost; 10-30-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Answering my own question
post #2728 of 7104 Old 10-29-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:

One last item I'm still not clear on: if I set the config as noted does it matter if the L/R signals come from the balanced or single ended outputs of the 205 while the woofer signal comes from the single ended (multi channel) outputs?
Thanks!!
bp
No, either will behave the same.
post #2729 of 7104 Old 10-30-2017, 11:52 AM
BP

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!!
bp
No, either will behave the same.
Hi Lairpost: thanks so much for the info. Very clear. Following your previous post should get me where I want to be! Excellent!!
bp

BP

post #2730 of 7104 Old 10-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5869 Post(s)
Liked: 8403
Quote:
When I play a physical disc, most recently a DVD-Audio disc, when I alter either the crossover or the sub distance or level setting there is a brief pause before resuming with the new settings. The toggle to turn off/on the sub output also clearly is active.

With the 205 configured the very same way, when I play a streaming source though the network connection, there is no pause when I change either crossover or sub distance or level settings. I can tell that the subwoofer levels settings are increasing or decreasing as a change up or down, but turning the setting for sub on or off does nothing, I continue to get sub output.

I’m wired using XLR L/R direct to 2-ch amp and multi-channel sub out to active sub, same in both cases. Please help me understand the difference in behavior and how to confirm the crossover and sub distance settings are in fact being used when using the network streaming,

In both cases, I have Stereo Signal set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. In speaker config, L and R are set to Small, and a crossover is set.

I just tested with HDMI IN (Chromecast Ultra) and the crossover and sub on/off and distance changes results in a audio pause just like the physical disc. Only the Ethernet port seems to behave as if the x-over and sub on/off don't do anything.

Thank you

Back to answer my own question. I appears that when using the Ethernet interface into the 205 from sources such as Roon, the bass management is NOT active. I have confirmed it is NOT active with Roon as I wanted to use the DSP and convolution filters to 'correct' my listening roon. Unfortunately, this is currently not possible as Roon 'bypasses' the crossover settings in 205. I've not tested other network sources as I'm too frustrated at this moment to do so.

I realize the 205 is a work in progress but you'd think Roon Ready would enable functionality not bypass it.
Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and they can help you sort this out.

The Roon client is a new addition to the 205 firmware. There may be some interaction with other settings.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page