AVS Forum banner

Official OPPO UDP-205 UHD Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread

1M views 8K replies 782 participants last post by  floorhor 
#1 ·
Since this player has now been released and at least a few people have visited Oppo Digital and picked up their players in-person, it's time to get the Owner's Thread rolling.

Please note, as always ordered/shipping/will be arriving today posts should go to the anticipation thread:

Owner's Manual: Oppo UDP-205 Ultra HD Player User Manual

Firmware Update Download/Install Instructions: OPPO UDP-203/205 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Upgrade

Latest official firmware versions as of April 6, 2017:

• Main Version: UDP20X-42-0329
  • Loader Version: TF0032
  • MCU Version: MCU205-01-1220

Knowledge Base:

MSRP: $1299

Specifications:
  • Disc Types: 4K UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE
  • BD Profile: BD-ROM Version 3.1 Profile 6 (also compatible with BD-ROM Version 2.5 Profile 5)
  • Output:
    • Analog Audio: 7.1ch, 5.1ch, stereo.
    • Dedicated Stereo Analog Audio: XLR balanced, RCA single-ended.
    • Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS.
    • HDMI Audio: up to 7.1ch/192kHz PCM, up to 5.1ch DSD, Bitstream.
    • HDMI Video: UHD/1080p24/1080p/1080i/720p/576p/576i/480p/480i, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.
  • Input:
    • HDMI Video: UHD/1080p24/1080p/1080i/720p/576p/576i/480p/480i, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24.
    • USB Audio: up to 2ch/768kHz PCM, up to 2ch/2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz/11.2896MHz DSD.
    • Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC.
  • Audio Characteristics (Nominal) (Stereo Audio Output):Frequency Response: 20Hz – 160kHz (-3dB ˜ +0.05dB)
    • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 120dBr
    • THD+N: < 0.00018%
    • Output Level: (RCA) 2.1±0.2Vrms. (XLR) 4.2±0.4Vrms
    • Dynamic Range: > 120dB
    • Crosstalk: > 118dB
  • Analog Audio Characteristics (Nominal) (Multi-channel Audio Output):
    • Frequency Response: 20Hz – 160kHz (-3dB ˜ +0.05dB)
    • THD+N: < 0.00031%
    • Output Level: 2.1±0.2Vrms
  • Headphone Audio Characteristics (Nominal):
    • Frequency Response: 20Hz – 80kHz (-2dB ˜ +0.05dB) into 32ohm
    • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 105dBr into 32ohm
    • THD+N: < 0.01% into 32ohm and 50mW
    • Maximum Output Power: 590mW into 32ohm
    • Dynamic Range: > 115dB into 32ohm
    • Output Impedance: < 0.1ohm
  • General Specification:
    • Power Supply: 110V – 120V ˜ / 220V – 240V ˜, 50/60Hz
    • Power Consumption: 65W (Standby: 0.5W in Energy Efficient Mode)
    • Dimensions: 16.8 x 12.2 x 4.8 inches (430mm x 311mm x 123mm)
    • Mass: 22lbs (10kg)
  • Operating Temperature: 41°F - 95°F, 5°C - 35°C
  • Operating Humidity: 15% - 75%, no condensation
  • Included Accessories:
    • User Manual
    • Power Cord
    • Certified Premium High Speed 6 Ft HDMI Cable
    • Remote Control with Size AA Batteries

See less See more
#7 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Links to some Reference posts in the UDP-205 Anticipation Thread:

Setting up for DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion, and considerations of Sub Boost:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-26.html#post52393105
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-30.html#post52428105

What to look for when buying an HDMI cable:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-29.html#post52423785

Analog vs Digital audio output and what to check in setting up your AVR for Analog input:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-24.html#post52371905
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-25.html#post52379345

Two ways to use the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-25.html#post52379553

How to take advantage of the new Anti-Jitter Circuit on the Audio HDMI output:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-25.html#post52379657

Use of the USB Audio DAC Input:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-22.html#post52361545

Can you use the 205 as a "pre-amp"?:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...ayer-anticipation-thread-22.html#post52364785

There's also a ton of reference posts in the 203 Owner's Thread -- by me and others -- but since that's over 15,000 posts right now, it's not easy to extract them for you.

Another good source of info is is Bill's FAQ for the 203 -- almost all of which applies directly to the 205 as well. Definitely recommended reading! Find that here:
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203-faq.html

--Bob

#11 ·
The entire Analog audio output stage of the 205 is different from the 203. Better power, better DACs, better components. The multi-channel Analog outs of the 205 should sound better than those on the 203 -- which is already no slouch for Analog audio output quality. The Dedicated Stereo Analog outs and the Headphones output just add to that. (The 205 also adds additional Digital audio INPUTS not found on the 203, but that's a different topic.)
--Bob

#14 ·
Glad to hear that, Bob. I know this is true of the 105/103, but wanted to know with regard to 205 vs 203.

I'm very interested in the performance of the 205 Headphone output. I was not inspired by Sennhieser HD 598 cans I purchased just for the 105 several years ago and never used it. Can't believe I will get to try it again, on a new Oppo.

#24 ·
I'll probably not upgrade from 105D until it can play ISO files.
And I rarely use the headphone jack on the 105D, mainly use it as DAC/pre-amp for my Pathos Aurium, which sounds Amazing.

#45 · (Edited)
Does the 105D play ISO files?

The 203 and 205 are identical as regards video.
I think "The 203 and 205 are identical as regards to video" needs to be added to the first post in HUGE letters ;).

Bill

Reactions: woofer
#29 ·
You said the Analog outs are designed to be connected to a pre-amp. If I used that to make my decision, I would not buy the 205; the 203 would do fine.

Edit: that's just me. I'm sure others are ok using an AVR and re-digitizing, or not...

They appear to allow for stand-alone operation as a pre-amp.

That's a good find. But also there are worthy preamps, integrated stereo amps, and even A/V pre/pros with analog pathways that sound good enough to justify a high end source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 ·
If FedEx delivers on time I should have mine on Wednesday. I plan to use the 'USB DAC' to play music from JRiver MC20. Right now I'm using the USB DAC in on my HA-1 and have the driver for Win10 downloaded from the HA-1 support page.
As of this morning there is no link on the UDP-205 support page for the USB driver. Do any of the Beta's know if its the same driver as the HA-1 or the Sonica DAC ?
I emailed Oppo about this but some of the people who have received their 205's may want to try this out before Oppo puts the driver download on the 205 support page.
Thanks,
Tom

#34 ·
If you are using a Windows computer to connect to the USB DAC Input of the UDP-205, you can get the needed driver from the Support page for OPPO's Sonica DAC here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/sonica-dac-Support.aspx

I've put a message in to OPPO that they need to get that info on the new Support page for the UDP-205 as well.

-----------------------------

If you are using a Mac computer instead, no driver installation is needed.
--Bob

#38 ·
I will be connecting to my preamp using pass through with xlr cables using the Oppos dacs and then comparing that to the hdmi connection to see the difference in sound, my prepro is a Marantz AV8802A.
Has anyone else done this? I know Oppo uses SABRE PRO DACs and the Marantz uses AK4490 32-bit DACs, my assumption is there will be a difference, but how much and what kind? Also Marantz AV8802a has xlr in, that will use Marantzs' dacs.

#40 ·
I will be connecting to my preamp with xlr cables using the Oppos dacs and then comparing that to the hdmi connection to see the difference in sound, my prepro is a Marantz AV8802A.
Has anyone else done this? I know Oppo uses SABRE PRO DACs and the Marantz uses AK4490 32-bit DACs, my assumption is there will be a difference, but how much and what kind? Also Marantz AV8802a has xlr in, that will use Marantzs' dacs.
If you want to hear the unmodified quality of the XLR outs of the OPPO 205 you should configure your Marantz to "pass through" the Analog input -- with no re-digitizing and no use of the DACS in the Marantz.
--Bob

#44 ·
Same info as from the anticipation thread, you also have 205 being different in regards to the following:

High Quality Metal Construction
Reinforced Chassis Structure
The UDP-205 features a brushed aluminum front panel and a metal chassis that continues the tradition of excellent workmanship found in previous generations of OPPO universal players. The new double-layered chassis further enhances the stability and vibration-canceling capabilities.
Toroidal Power Supply - Clean Power for Clear Music
The UDP-205 has separate power supplies for digital and analog circuitry to eliminate virtually all harmful interference. The analog audio circuitry is powered by a massive toroidal power transformer, which offers superior efficiency and significantly lower exterior magnetic field interference compared to traditional laminated steel core transformers. The toroidal linear power supply provides a very clean and robust power source to the audio components.

#48 ·
So.... I never really got my head around Darbee...

My understanding is that it's some sort of image processing algorithm that presents better depth, detail and contrast in the picture? Is that right?

And it does not affect the sound qualiity at all..?

Should I wait for a Darbee edition?

Or is that no longer a thing in UHD?

Cheers!

#49 ·
Darbee increases perceived contrast by adjusting luminance on a per-pixel basis.

We don't know if there will be a 4K Darbee product, or if OPPO will use it in a future player.

UHD has complicated the situation a great deal. Darbee is a subtle effect when used properly and I'm afraid it will be lost in the shuffle of the other new features: greater resolution, wider color space, and high dynamic range.

I would not wait.

-Bill

#59 · (Edited)
OPPO UDP-205 First Lap around the Track

Greetings,

Setup was a breeze. As soon as the WiFi 802.11ac was connected, a pop up for a firmware update came up and installed like a champ. Connection to my home network worked flawlessly. At first it would only read my iTunes music folder etc. After sharing my secondary hard drive which has a music folder of 50k+ songs in MP3&4 formats I was able to access it upon logging on with my user name and password from the 205. Again, painless. Dropped some music folders onto a USB thumb drive and it too worked as smooth as butter. Tried music on my AppleTV (hooked up by HDMI) and it is seamless. The network and USB drive work well although visually and for search ability the AppleTV is king. Of course the CD works too. I have a high end RCA cable and USB DAC cable arriving tomorrow and will try those in two channel mode with the built in DAC’s to see how those work in some different setups. I will say that the headphone jack and Bose headphones are outer planet stuff, they rock.

Observations:
Played a 4k Ultra HD version of Mad Max Fury Road and it suggested I play a Blu-ray version for better results since my TV is only 1080p. Played the 4k disk anyway which worked, then tried the Blu-ray version which was much better visually.

When playing music CD's the 205 displays the track type (CDDA) and channel type (44.1k 16b) although on the network and thumb drive it just shows the file.

Songs purchased directly from iTunes do not show up on the network connection (it's an Apple thing, not OPPO) although they do show up when surfing the AppleTV.

My Pioneer Elite SC-97 AV Receiver defaults to the native format coming from the 205 through "auto surround" although when the "extended stereo" is selected, it plays every speaker it the setup and rocks the joint like no tomorrow.

The Logitech Harmony Elite recognized the 203 although not the 205 during setup. Regardless it let me setup and name the 205 and manually configure it witch worked to perfection.

This thing is a beast! I'm sure the 203 is fine for movie goers wanting Dolby Atmos. With the 205 I get my Dolby Atmos movie fix and my audiophile music fix at a quality level second to none. :laugh: Those who buy a 203 ($550) and then decide they want high res audio can add an OPPO Sonica DAC for $800. Personally for $50 less, I have both in a single unit. This is my first OPPO and I am glad I waited. When the day comes to upgrade my 1080p TV to 4k, I'll be a fat cat!! :cool:

My setup consists of:
· Pioneer Elite 810W SC-97 9.2 CH
· Integra ADM-20.4 2 Channel Amplifier
· Panamax M5400-PM Line Cleaner and Surge Protector
· DirecTV Genie HD DVR
· OPPO UDP-205
· AppleTV 4th Generation
· Sony PS4
· Nintendo Wii U
· Mitsubishi DLP WD-73733 HDTV
· Logitech Harmony Elite All in One Remote
· 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup
o Two Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
o Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
o Two Klipsch Reference Subwoofers R-115SW
o Four Klipsch Quintet III (surround and back surround)
o Four Klipsch CDT-5800-C II in-ceiling (Atmos)

Attached are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers,

Jared

Attachments

#246 · (Edited)
Greetings,

Setup was a breeze. As soon as the WiFi 802.11ac was connected, a pop up for a firmware update came up and installed like a champ. Connection to my home network worked flawlessly. At first it would only read my iTunes music folder etc. After sharing my secondary hard drive which has a music folder of 50k+ songs in MP3&4 formats I was able to access it upon logging on with my user name and password from the 205. Again, painless. Dropped some music folders onto a USB thumb drive and it too worked as smooth as butter. Tried music on my AppleTV (hooked up by HDMI) and it is seamless. The network and USB drive work well although visually and for search ability the AppleTV is king. Of course the CD works too. I have a high end RCA cable and USB DAC cable arriving tomorrow and will try those in two channel mode with the built in DAC’s to see how those work in some different setups. I will say that the headphone jack and Bose headphones are outer planet stuff, they rock.

Observations:
Played a 4k Ultra HD version of Mad Max Fury Road and it suggested I play a Blu-ray version for better results since my TV is only 1080p. Played the 4k disk anyway which worked, then tried the Blu-ray version which was much better visually.

When playing music CD's the 205 displays the track type (CDDA) and channel type (44.1k 16b) although on the network and thumb drive it just shows the file.

Songs purchased directly from iTunes do not show up on the network connection (it's an Apple thing, not OPPO) although they do show up when surfing the AppleTV.

My Pioneer Elite SC-97 AV Receiver defaults to the native format coming from the 205 through "auto surround" although when the "extended stereo" is selected, it plays every speaker it the setup and rocks the joint like no tomorrow.

The Logitech Harmony Elite recognized the 203 although not the 205 during setup. Regardless it let me setup and name the 205 and manually configure it witch worked to perfection.

This thing is a beast! I'm sure the 203 is fine for movie goers wanting Dolby Atmos. With the 205 I get my Dolby Atmos movie fix and my audiophile music fix at a quality level second to none. :laugh: Those who buy a 203 ($550) and then decide they want high res audio can add an OPPO Sonica DAC for $800. Personally for $50 less, I have both in a single unit. This is my first OPPO and I am glad I waited. When the day comes to upgrade my 1080p TV to 4k, I'll be a fat cat!! :cool:

My setup consists of:
· Pioneer Elite 810W SC-97 9.2 CH
· Integra ADM-20.4 2 Channel Amplifier
· Panamax M5400-PM Line Cleaner and Surge Protector
· DirecTV Genie HD DVR
· OPPO UDP-205
· AppleTV 4th Generation
· Sony PS4
· Nintendo Wii U
· Mitsubishi DLP WD-73733 HDTV
· Logitech Harmony Elite All in One Remote
· 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup
o Two Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
o Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
o Two Klipsch Reference Subwoofers R-115SW
o Four Klipsch Quintet III (surround and back surround)
o Four Klipsch CDT-5800-C II in-ceiling (Atmos)

Attached are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers,

Jared
That brings up a question:

I want to use the 205 as a pre-amp. I have been made aware that there may be issues with impedance with the amplifiers and mainly concern over the digital volume control of the 205 which I agree is not ideal compared to a rotary knob(motorized remote control).

QUESTION (Bob?)

205 as pre-amp OR 203 with a Sonica DAC??? Same Dacs AND analog rotary volume knob?
What will be the differences if any? (and dont say $50 bucks)
Inputs, outputs, features, functionality, SQ compared to running the 205 as preamp?
I'm presuming that the "separates" might possibly be more versatile in more system configurations AND you get a high resolution network player to boot. What am I missing?
Video performance should be equal.

Any input is appreciated.

#61 ·
Since this player has now been released and at least a few people have visited Oppo Digital and picked up their players in-person, it's time to get the Owner's Thread rolling.

Please note, as always ordered/shipping/will be arriving today posts should go to the anticipation thread:
Owner's Manual: Oppo UDP-205 Ultra HD Player User Manual

Firmware Update Download/Install Instructions: OPPO UDP-203/205 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Upgrade

Latest official firmware versions as of April 6, 2017:

• Main Version: UDP20X-42-0329
  • Loader Version: TF0032
  • MCU Version: MCU205-01-1220
Knowledge Base:MSRP: $1299

Specifications:

• Disc Types: 4K UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, AVCHD, SACD, CD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE
  • BD Profile: BD-ROM Version 3.1 Profile 6 (also compatible with BD-ROM Version 2.5 Profile 5)
  • Output:

• Analog Audio: 7.1ch, 5.1ch, stereo.
    • Dedicated Stereo Analog Audio: XLR balanced, RCA single-ended.
    • Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS.
  • Input:

• USB Audio: up to 2ch/768kHz PCM, up to 2ch/2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz/11.2896MHz DSD.
    • Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC.
  • Audio Characteristics (Nominal) (Stereo Audio Output):Frequency Response: 20Hz – 160kHz (-3dB ˜ +0.05dB)

• THD+N: < 0.00018%
    • Output Level: (RCA) 2.1±0.2Vrms. (XLR) 4.2±0.4Vrms
  • Analog Audio Characteristics (Nominal) (Multi-channel Audio Output):

• Frequency Response: 20Hz – 160kHz (-3dB ˜ +0.05dB)
    • THD+N: < 0.00031%
    • Output Level: 2.1±0.2Vrms
  • Headphone Audio Characteristics (Nominal):

• Frequency Response: 20Hz – 80kHz (-2dB ˜ +0.05dB) into 32ohm
    • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 105dBr into 32ohm
    • THD+N: < 0.01% into 32ohm and 50mW
    • Maximum Output Power: 590mW into 32ohm
    • Dynamic Range: > 115dB into 32ohm
    • Output Impedance: < 0.1ohm
  • General Specification:

• Power Supply: 110V – 120V ˜ / 220V – 240V ˜, 50/60Hz
    • Power Consumption: 65W (Standby: 0.5W in Energy Efficient Mode)
    • Dimensions: 16.8 x 12.2 x 4.8 inches (430mm x 311mm x 123mm)
    • Mass: 22lbs (10kg)
  • Operating Temperature: 41°F - 95°F, 5°C - 35°C
  • Operating Humidity: 15% - 75%, no condensation
  • Included Accessories:

• User Manual
    • Power Cord
    • Certified Premium High Speed 6 Ft HDMI Cable
    • Remote Control with Size AA Batteries
Thanks for a great post and new thread. I wish people would share experiences about their new OPPO UPD-205 here (as the thread suggests) opposed to asking questions about a unit they do not own...I did and I hope others will follow...

#64 ·
Well well time to big decitions but first things first
As it shares same actual FW (UDP20X-42-0329) with 203 are there any differences concerning the issues that remain in 203
a) hdmi lip sinc?
b) hdmi in performance with lossles audio (Dts MA & Dolby tru hd)?
c) lip sinc slider working for hdmi out2 with bitstream?

Any changes or same behavior?

#65 ·
Well well time to big decitions but first things first
As it shares same actual FW (UDP20X-42-0329) with 203 are there any differences concerning the issues that remain in 203
a) hdmi lip sinc?
b) hdmi in performance with lossles audio (Dts MA & Dolby tru hd)?
c) lip sinc slider working for hdmi out2 with bitstream?
If it's the same firmware, the bugs will be the same.

#70 ·
In going from my 105 to the 205, how is it handling lip sync? With my 105, i had to adjust my audio system to delay around 240ms for 1080P24 material (scaled to 4K24 by my video processor). Somehow, the 205 is doing this itself and I can leave my audio system at 0. Or maybe I'm not understanding this magic.. :rolleyes: I'm using the second audio port to drive the HDMI audio. Watched Planet Earth 2 4K, the 205 going through a Lumagen Pro to my projector JVC RS600 was the best looking picture I've ever seen. Wow. Even my wife commented how great it looked.... SJ

#73 ·
^ He's apparently focussed on the lack of multi-channel Analog audio input on the AVM-60. But you are correct, the AVM 60 does have Stereo Analog inputs, and Anthem Room Correction (and other processing) CAN be turned off individually for those.

The setting is Processed Audio OFF in the Input definition you establish to use one of those Stereo Analog Inputs.
--Bob

#919 ·
Hi Bob,

I own both Anthem separates (AVM 60 and A5) and Oppo 103D as player. I think is time to replace the source and I need your help. I am leaning to Oppo, but I do not know which of them - 203 or 205.
My ratio digital music listening-watching movies is 55-45. Music mainly on CDs, but I have several Blu Rays audio, SACDs and DVDs audio. The set up for music is passthrough (no sound processing and ARC Off in line preamp) via RCA cables.
I have read the posts of this topic and 205 is the winner versus 203 regarding to audio outcomes, especially dedicated stereo out. Meanwhile 205 price is approx. double versus 203.
I can not use XLRs and multichannel out, but I like toroidal transformer and separated stereo out of Oppo 205. I am not sure about HDMI antijitter layout.
Oppo 203 or 205 ? Thanks. Mike

#74 ·
But please don't quote so much.:)[/QUOTE]

Sorry, hit quick reply instead of quote (which I see now can be shortened).