OFFICAL SAMSUNG UBD-M9500 OWNER'S THREAD (No price talk, please) - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 692Likes

post #301 of 1093 Old 06-12-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 3277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosman View Post
Hi Rudy, I'm still at a loss to understand how my player can suddenly start working fine when there have ben no apparent software fixes. Have not yet updated to 1103 still on 1102.2.

It's seems to be working fine with all MKV files and all discs using DD 5.1 bitstream output with NO noticeable SYNC issues.

While I am happy that all my previous issues have been resolved i'm still a little concerned about how. Can Samsung install fixes on my machine without me knowing?

I have made no changes at all to my player since my message about my 'solution' but hey presto it now works???????
Hi,

As long as players are connected to the internet, they can be updated over the network. Control of individual units, however, requires the owner's permission via the remote access feature. Other changes (such as updates to apps) can be done without any active intervention on the part of the owner.

If you start to experience the sync issues again, just let me know and I'll pass it on to the engineering team...as far as I know, they have not been able to replicate them in their lab.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1093 Old 06-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need Some Expert Advice Please

I searched the forum and didn't see where this was answered.
I'm having some issues and would def appreciate some advice from other users. I've been a long time Samsung consumer, so I’m fairly familiar with their TV’s and bluray players, and how to adjust the settings for the best picture. Things change with this player. Rudy1, you listed 3D playback supported media on the first post. It doesn't support 3D playback and having contacted Samsung (a few times), they said it will not receive the update to read 3D as they have abandoned that format...which is very unfortunate because they still support DVD, and it's hard to push new formats when you support the old.....the *really* old. 3D is very unique and doesn't even compete. For now, the BD-F7500 remains on a switcher so we can still watch 3D.
My main concern is, why is HDR content so dark? I understand there's a wider color spectrum so it’s going to look different, but shouldn’t it be vibrant not dull and dark? I've had to drastically manipulate the settings on my TV (UN65HU8500FXZA), with UHD color turned on as well and the SEK3500 connected (both updated to the latest firmware). I've got 4K discs playback looking better, but any streaming content looks very dark, and any SDR content then looks overly saturated because I had to change it for the 4K HDR content. Last night, the player's FW updated to 1103, but I don't see any significant changes. I know the 9500 is supposed to change the color automatically with the TV, but their "auto" is super dark and that can't be normal. I'm really shaking my head on this and could use the advice please.

Oh, and don't bother calling Samsung or emailing them. They have no idea what HDR even is, much less any of the settings in the menus. They simply repeat what the description says. It's circular logic with them.
Thanks.
post #303 of 1093 Old 06-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Looks like Samsung TV's got updated for VUDU UHD support(can confirm on my KS8000). Hopefully this player is soon to follow!!! Can't get DD+ thus Atmos from the TV so it would be great if this player got support.

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X800M2/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 1093 Old 06-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9407 Post(s)
Liked: 16700
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
Looks like Samsung TV's got updated for VUDU UHD support(can confirm on my KS8000). Hopefully this player is soon to follow!!! Can't get DD+ thus Atmos from the TV so it would be great if this player got support.
Confirmed! Q9F Vudu app now playing UHD.
Rudy1 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #305 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Look at the LG player thread(when it released not sure about now) there were complaints PQ wise and some referred to it as a cinematic feel. Oppo and Panasonic are always regarded as reference players for PQ. I mean maybe your right but I always figured a player could differ from each other the same way TVs can. Even bitstreaming audio from the same disc on 2 different players has sounded different to me. Is it that the players are supposed to pass all this stuff untouched and some just do it better than others?
I guess I would think the most preferred player would be the one that transmitted video "untouched" from the original source
To my knowledge there should be no difference when bit streaming audio among any player
That being said..though TV's are far more complicated animals
Perhaps its a case of subjective preferences, just like in TV's

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #306 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation NO 3D!!! NO 3D!!!1 no 3D!!!! WHY NOT? BAD DECISION ON SAMSUNG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsamjunge View Post

I searched the forum and didn't see where this was answered.
I'm having some issues and would def appreciate some advice from other users. I've been a long time Samsung consumer, so I’m fairly familiar with their TV’s and bluray players, and how to adjust the settings for the best picture. Things change with this player. Rudy1, you listed 3D playback supported media on the first post. It doesn't support 3D playback and having contacted Samsung (a few times), they said it will not receive the update to read 3D as they have abandoned that format...which is very unfortunate because they still support DVD, and it's hard to push new formats when you support the old.....the *really* old. 3D is very unique and doesn't even compete. For now, the BD-F7500 remains on a switcher so we can still watch 3D.
My main concern is, why is HDR content so dark? I understand there's a wider color spectrum so it’s going to look different, but shouldn’t it be vibrant not dull and dark? I've had to drastically manipulate the settings on my TV (UN65HU8500FXZA), with UHD color turned on as well and the SEK3500 connected (both updated to the latest firmware). I've got 4K discs playback looking better, but any streaming content looks very dark, and any SDR content then looks overly saturated because I had to change it for the 4K HDR content. Last night, the player's FW updated to 1103, but I don't see any significant changes. I know the 9500 is supposed to change the color automatically with the TV, but their "auto" is super dark and that can't be normal. I'm really shaking my head on this and could use the advice please.

Oh, and don't bother calling Samsung or emailing them. They have no idea what HDR even is, much less any of the settings in the menus. They simply repeat what the description says. It's circular logic with them.
Thanks.
Your review says it all and I could not agree more as I own as many other movie collectors a large collection of 3D movies. The 2016 8500 is a great player if set up properly and it has 3D. If we are still to support DVD format why not 3D. 3D people need to speak up to include this feature in future models.
post #307 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Most important feature for me...does it play SACD?

Source: Thinkpad running iTunes/Oppo driver upsampled to 24/192
DAC/SACD: Oppo 105D
Amp: Pathos Aurium (home), LG V30 running Onkyo HF Player (portable)
Headphone: AKG K812, AKG N5005 IEM's, Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Wireless
post #308 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I've posted a review of the UBD-M9500 and plan to use this thread as the comment section. Here's the link: Samsung UBD-M9500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review
Can you comment on the player's support of DLNA playback? It seems that most players are either dropping DLNA support entirely, or restricting audio to lossy formats only. My older Sony BD player will bitstream TrueHD and Master Audio from my server with no issue. My latest version streams TrueHD but not MA. I returned a KS9500 because it too would not stream both HD audio formats. Since I rip all of my discs with HD audio intact, I wish to play those tracks back.

Dan
Samsung JU7100 and NU7100 4K TVs, Yamaha RX-V583, Nvidia Shield (2017 & 2019), a number of Roku players and TVs, Windows 10 media server with Serviio and Plex. Other players and TVs as well.
post #309 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 11:16 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Quoted: 9407 Post(s)
Liked: 16700
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Can you comment on the player's support of DLNA playback? It seems that most players are either dropping DLNA support entirely, or restricting audio to lossy formats only. My older Sony BD player will bitstream TrueHD and Master Audio from my server with no issue. My latest version streams TrueHD but not MA. I returned a KS9500 because it too would not stream both HD audio formats. Since I rip all of my discs with HD audio intact, I wish to play those tracks back.
As a matter of policy, due to copyright, I do not discuss ripped Blu-rays. I have no way to test that, sorry.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #310 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsamjunge View Post

Rudy1, you listed 3D playback supported media on the first post. It doesn't support 3D playback and having contacted Samsung (a few times), they said it will not receive the update to read 3D as they have abandoned that format...which is very unfortunate because they still support DVD, and it's hard to push new formats when you support the old.....the *really* old. 3D is very unique and doesn't even compete. For now, the BD-F7500 remains on a switcher so we can still watch 3D.

Thanks.
I apologize for not updating the intro page when I first learned that the 3D update had been cancelled. I've just made the necessary correction.

Your UN65HU8500FXZA/SEK-3500 combo may benefit from you enabling two independent picture settings for the input where you have the BDP connected. One would be for non-HDR content (you could use DYNAMIC), and another (I would recommend MOVIE) for 4K HDR content; you could easily switch between settings on the TV by pressing the OPTION button and selecting PICTURE.

The auto-HDR settings only work when the UBD-M9500 is connected to one of the 2017 Q series sets, and only if the player is connected directly to the TV.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #311 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Certification for Vudu UHD support is expected soon. On the Q9, Atmos via DD+ is available if you use HDMI/ARC. I will ask the engineers if this is a hardware thing or if it's at all possible to add it the feature to the KS series via firmware.

post #312 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy701 View Post
Most important feature for me...does it play SACD?
The M9500 does not support SACD discs. For that you'll probably have to go with either the Sony players or the Oppo players.

post #313 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98092 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I've posted a review of the UBD-M9500 and plan to use this thread as the comment section. Here's the link: Samsung UBD-M9500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review
I can confirm that the M9500 does NOT support or play Atmos truehd tracks by encoding them in any way. Ive tried it on MKV files, ts and m2ts files as well. If thats important to you, get the Sony player. With Sony you can also get much more natural pq as opposed to Samsung's brighter vivid picture. I returned my M9500 for various issues.
post #314 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
I apologize for not updating the intro page when I first learned that the 3D update had been cancelled. I've just made the necessary correction.

Your UN65HU8500FXZA/SEK-3500 combo may benefit from you enabling two independent picture settings for the input where you have the BDP connected. One would be for non-HDR content (you could use DYNAMIC), and another (I would recommend MOVIE) for 4K HDR content; you could easily switch between settings on the TV by pressing the OPTION button and selecting PICTURE.

The auto-HDR settings only work when the UBD-M9500 is connected to one of the 2017 Q series sets, and only if the player is connected directly to the TV.
Does the auto-HDR settings not work with the 2016 KS9000 Series, I was told it would ?
If that only works with the 2017 Q series that will be a big decision maker for me.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #315 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Does the auto-HDR settings not work with the 2016 KS9000 Series, I was told it would ?
If that only works with the 2017 Q series that will be a big decision maker for me.
None of the M9500 owners with 2016 TVs have reported that they've gotten the auto-HDR to work. I can confirm that it works with my Q9.

post #316 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I started reading about this player M9500 and was thinking to upgrade to it until I saw no 3D . I have over 90 3D movies, so no 3D makes it a deal killer. I can see you cutting it on your smaller screen TV's, because most of us use 3D capable projectors now anyway. But to cut it on large screens TVs, AND UHD BD players also, it becomes a stupid idea Samsung.
VideoGrabber, aaronwt and Matt2026 like this.

JCP. Benq HT3050, 120" DaLite, Pioneer Elite SC-LX501, Klipsch Heresy fronts and backs, Infinity center, Klipsch KG-2 sides, Velodyne HGS 18" sub, Paradigm PW2200 sub, Triad PowerSub 18", Energy 15" sub. Panasonic BDT-310 & Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Rays, LG 4K 870.
post #317 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
None of the M9500 owners with 2016 TVs have reported that they've gotten the auto-HDR to work. I can confirm that it works with my Q9.
I have not tried bypassing the AVR for video but am willing to, I just don't know what I am looking for to happen. The Tv functions the same as any other UHD player I had before. When HDR is used the TV changes its settings to the HDR profile. So the setting for HDR stay the same(backlight 20, contrast 95, etc..) regardless of the HDR source.

Now if your saying your settings completely change on a movie to movie basis via the player then I have not seen that but again have never bypassed the AVR with this player. What exactly would I look for to know whether it is in fact doing it or not? Meaning what changes?

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X800M2/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #318 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have not tried bypassing the AVR for video but am willing to, I just don't know what I am looking for to happen. The Tv functions the same as any other UHD player I had before. When HDR is used the TV changes its settings to the HDR profile. So the setting for HDR stay the same(backlight 20, contrast 95, etc..) regardless of the HDR source.

Now if your saying your settings completely change on a movie to movie basis via the player then I have not seen that but again have never bypassed the AVR with this player. What exactly would I look for to know whether it is in fact doing it or not? Meaning what changes?
Please see post number 12 of this thread.

post #319 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Hi Rudy,
I was just reading in post #28 where you owned a KS9000 and thought you would know.
Thanks

post #320 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Please see post number 12 of this thread.
I went back and read that post but how do you know that wasn't the default HDR settings for that input? Do you have another UHD player to hook up to that input and see if the HDR settings would show differently? I'm just trying to understand how you knew it actually changed anything if it was an unused input unless you knew what the defaults were prior.

My KS8000 automatically changed backlight to 20 and such regardless of HDR source before I adjusted any of the other settings. I'm not trying to be difficult but just understand so I can help see if the 2016 models do in fact support this feature.

I supposed I can hook up my Xbox One S to an unused input that I never touched and take note of the settings then hook the M9500 to that input to see if they change at all which is what an auto feature seams like it should do.
post #321 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
Hi Rudy,
I was just reading in post #28 where you owned a KS9000 and thought you would know.
Thanks
The KS9000 was replaced by the Q9.

post #322 of 1093 Old 06-13-2017, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went back and read that post but how do you know that wasn't the default HDR settings for that input? Do you have another UHD player to hook up to that input and see if the HDR settings would show differently? I'm just trying to understand how you knew it actually changed anything if it was an unused input unless you knew what the defaults were prior.

My KS8000 automatically changed backlight to 20 and such regardless of HDR source before I adjusted any of the other settings. I'm not trying to be difficult but just understand so I can help see if the 2016 models do in fact support this feature.

I supposed I can hook up my Xbox One S to an unused input that I never touched and take note of the settings then hook the M9500 to that input to see if they change at all which is what an auto feature seams like it should do.
When I report issues to Sony or Samsung, the people I deal with always demand details which I can only provide if I have a "control" against which the unit in question can be compared. So I've gotten into the habit of checking settings prior to making any changes... especially if I'm troubleshooting. In this case, it's the HDMI audio output from the BDP...when I switch to that input on the Q9, the default settings for MOVIE mode do not match either the SDR or the HDR settings for the same picture mode on the Q9 HDMI jack where the BDP video is being fed.

The engineers insist that the feature has only been tested successfully​ on the Q series. YMMV.

post #323 of 1093 Old 06-14-2017, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

When I report issues to Sony or Samsung, the people I deal with always demand details which I can only provide if I have a "control" against which the unit in question can be compared. So I've gotten into the habit of checking settings prior to making any changes... especially if I'm troubleshooting. In this case, it's the HDMI audio output from the BDP...when I switch to that input on the Q9, the default settings for MOVIE mode do not match either the SDR or the HDR settings for the same picture mode on the Q9 HDMI jack where the BDP video is being fed.

The engineers insist that the feature has only been tested successfully? on the Q series. YMMV.
Ah ok thanks for the info. Sorry if it seams like I'm being difficult or argumentative cause I really wasn't trying to be. I'll play around with it anyway since I just got another new update on my TV and maybe it's a feature that needed to be added to the 2016 models or maybe not lol.
post #324 of 1093 Old 06-14-2017, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah ok thanks for the info. Sorry if it seams like I'm being difficult or argumentative cause I really wasn't trying to be. I'll play around with it anyway since I just got another new update on my TV and maybe it's a feature that needed to be added to the 2016 models or maybe not lol.
It may have taken several months, but they did eventually fulfill most of the requests I'd passed on for the SEK-3500 upgraded TVs, the 2015 TVs, and (with the availability of Vudu UHD) the 2016 TVs, so I took the liberty of asking if the Auto-HDR trick could be made available to the KS lineup. We will just have to wait and see if they do it, or if they stop taking my calls and reading my emails altogether.

post #325 of 1093 Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I tried to get some answers from Samsung on the use of this player with the 9000 series. Guess what they didn't have a clue what I was talking about, all they could say was that if I hook it up to a 4K TV it will play 4K. HDR was just too far out there for them to understand, let alone the communication between the TV and Player on Auto-settings for the TV. Samsung is sickening with their support. God is it horrible. I have owned about 4 tv's and 3 Bdp and a couple sound bars from them. None of these worked reasonably well out of the Box. All items needed firmware updates, or a trip or 2 back to the store. All never did do everything it said it would when purchased. These were all top of the line purchases.
I think that I will have to consider all my future purchases as is, where is, purchases. There is no support.
I've said it once and will say it over and over until Samsung gets it right.

Samsung slogan : Welcome to Samsung where the WORLD is our Beta testing Center.

Last edited by Glenee; 06-14-2017 at 10:11 AM.
post #326 of 1093 Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't know if it's related or not but since the 1103 update I've started getting regular 'Fan Power Failure' warnings causing me to turn it off, wait 5 mins and turn it back on again.

Anyone else had this??

Rudy any ideas?

Sony KD-55XD9305
Samsung BD-J7500 & UBD-M9500
Sonos Soundbar/Sub/2 x Play 1's
post #327 of 1093 Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if it's related or not but since the 1103 update I've started getting regular 'Fan Power Failure' warnings causing me to turn it off, wait 5 mins and turn it back on again.

Anyone else had this??

Rudy any ideas?
I would return that unit to the store if I were you.

post #328 of 1093 Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I would return that unit to the store if I were you.
It's been fine until I upgraded to 1103 2 days ago??????
musicman0725 likes this.

Sony KD-55XD9305
Samsung BD-J7500 & UBD-M9500
Sonos Soundbar/Sub/2 x Play 1's
post #329 of 1093 Old 06-14-2017, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's been fine until I upgraded to 1103 2 days ago??????
And no one else has reported this, so I would suspect a mechanical defect rather than a firmware-related issue. Especially since it's happening repeatedly.

post #330 of 1093 Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For some reason I find I am unable to select anything other than Disc in the Source menu. I can see Disc (first option), Plex Media Server, and Connection Guide, but as soon as I try to cursor right from Disc, the Sources menu disappears and I'm left with just the Disc full screen.

Anyone else seeing this? I am on the latest 1103 firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4:2:0 , 4:4:4 , hdmi , Samsung , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page