OFFICAL SAMSUNG UBD-M9500 OWNER'S THREAD (No price talk, please) - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 687Likes

post #331 of 1063 Old 06-14-2017, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 3253
Try resetting the player and starting over again. Report back here if the reset does not resolve the issue.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1063 Old 06-14-2017, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosman View Post
It's been fine until I upgraded to 1103 2 days ago??????
Check your PM and get back to me ASAP.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #333 of 1063 Old 06-14-2017, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Try resetting the player and starting over again. Report back here if the reset does not resolve the issue.
OK, I'll try that. Pain in the neck because I assume it will erase all apps and accounts and since this is a US model and I'm in Canada, I need to use a VPN in my router to get it to connect to the US server so I can log in to my Samsung account and authorize it to download apps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1063 Old 06-15-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
A reset didn't help. I think this may have to do with the Plex Media Server entry in the Source list. The list shows No disc, Plex Media Server, Connection Guide. When I try to move right from No Disc to Plex, the menu disappears and I am left with the Insert Disc screen until I press the Home button. I am going to shut down Plex to check that theory.
post #335 of 1063 Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Plex DLNA Server was the problem. When I removed that from the list by turning Plex DLNA off, I was able to access the entire source list.
post #336 of 1063 Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke23 View Post
Plex DLNA Server was the problem. When I removed that from the list by turning Plex DLNA off, I was able to access the entire source list.
Thanks for posting this. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue.

post #337 of 1063 Old 06-15-2017, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I apologize for not updating the intro page when I first learned that the 3D update had been cancelled. I've just made the necessary correction.

Your UN65HU8500FXZA/SEK-3500 combo may benefit from you enabling two independent picture settings for the input where you have the BDP connected. One would be for non-HDR content (you could use DYNAMIC), and another (I would recommend MOVIE) for 4K HDR content; you could easily switch between settings on the TV by pressing the OPTION button and selecting PICTURE.

The auto-HDR settings only work when the UBD-M9500 is connected to one of the 2017 Q series sets, and only if the player is connected directly to the TV.

Thanks Rudy1. I appreciate it. That's what I ended up stumbling across a week or so ago. I found that by switching the Picture setting to Movie, along with changing some other settings, 4K content (w/ or w/o HDR) looks amazing (esp "Passengers"), compared to Bluray. At first it was super dark. But when I use the TV or the 9500 to stream HDR content it is still dark. I'm guessing I'll have to set up a "profile" for Movie picture setting and any time I play any HDR content (streaming or 4k disc) I'll have to switch the picture setting from Standard to Movie. Usually, I use Standard because Dynamic seems to over saturate. I've calibrated the TV, you can use any Sony bluray disc and just type in 7669 (SONY) on the keypad, and the picture was perfect until the 9500 came on the scene.

As far as the picture settings for Movie (HDR content) go, do you or anyone else have the best settings recommendations, including Picture Options and Advanced Settings options?

Lastly, does it help to send Samsung frequent emails requesting them to return 3D playback support? I've read some articles that speculate the technology is indeed in the 9500 but it would just need the firmware update from Samsung. I have over 100 3D movies, so for now I have the BD-J7500 still connected on a different input. I can't understand why they still support DVD and gave up on 3D! I get that they want to push 4K but 3D doesn't even compete; it's in a category of its own.
Samsung used to come out each year with 3 bluray player models, an entry level (with very few features), a midline (more options) and their flagship model, with everything under the sun--much like their TV line. I wonder why they've abandoned that business model and instead went the route of just one model per year. Seems like the 9500 could be the one with everything, including 3D support for legacy consumers (and to help them move into 4K) and then a lower line with just Bluray/4K. Who in the world is still buying DVD's? That's like going to Sprint and asking for a flip phone.

Anyway thanks for the advice you guys provide in here. Very much appreciated!
post #338 of 1063 Old 06-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP1740 View Post
I started reading about this player M9500 and was thinking to upgrade to it until I saw no 3D . I have over 90 3D movies, so no 3D makes it a deal killer. I can see you cutting it on your smaller screen TV's, because most of us use 3D capable projectors now anyway. But to cut it on large screens TVs, AND UHD BD players also, it becomes a stupid idea Samsung.
I agree completely. I still have my BD-J7500 connected via a different input. I don' know if it would help, but maybe if Samsung received enough emails requesting a firmware update to support 3D playback, they may give into us. I send one every few days just to annoy them! I have over 100 3D movies and I can't imagine why they would discontinue a great feature like this, esp for their high-end products. Sure, cut it for the lower end products, but continue to offer it for a few years on (what they call) their flagship line (TV's and 4K players). They're just abandoning all of their consumers who have amassed a large 3D library. That seems like a bad business plan. Their billionaire investors are probably telling Samsung to "give consumers fewer choices to push them to 4K."
It costs them nothing to keep that feature, esp if the player already has the technology and just needs the firmware update. Go to their site and keep sending emails on this player, asking they add the feature. Encourage others... and maybe they'll listen. I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys 3D!
post #339 of 1063 Old 06-15-2017, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

LACK OF 3D SUPPORT ON NEW PLAYERS:

I had a separate discussion about this with a couple of the directors. They seemed sympathetic, but were not inclined to comment one way or the other except to remind me that they dropped support for the tech in their TVs two years ago. The K8500 UHD BDP does provide excellent 3D playback and should be available for the next several months.

post #340 of 1063 Old 06-19-2017, 05:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
LACK OF 3D SUPPORT ON NEW PLAYERS:

I had a separate discussion about this with a couple of the directors. They seemed sympathetic, but were not inclined to comment one way or the other except to remind me that they dropped support for the tech in their TVs two years ago. The K8500 UHD BDP does provide excellent 3D playback and should be available for the next several months.
Hi,
i got an m9500 and it works perfekt for me.
I have a Panasonic Ub 900, Oppo 103(for Atmos) und just sell the Sonx X 800 which was not so good for me in Picture Quality.
My Projektor is an Sony 1000ES 4K. Screen is 118 Zoll.

Picture Quality of the M9500 just a little under the Ub900.
But i use Plex and Netflix and this make the Player the best.

DTS HD Audio from MKV over Plex works , also playing ober DLNA.
Only Atmos i dont get zu play. Ónly per UHD Disk.

The only error i have is, if i use to much fast- forward then the Player hangs up.
perhaps an Update fixed this.
post #341 of 1063 Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I would also like to note something else I have recently noticed since the last update. The upscaling on this player for standard blu-ray discs seams much much much better than before. I have been using my standard Sony player for standard discs but did play a couple in the Samsung when I first got it. I remember feeling it was a little lackluster and was one area I truly felt the Sony X800 was better. I also felt using the standard Sony player and letting the TV upscale yielded better results.

Well recently my son wanted to watch Toy Story and I must not have been thinking and put it in the Samsung instead of my Sony. Once I noticed the Samsung load screen I decided to let it go and to my surprise I was very impressed. I remember when I first got the player I felt the upscaling added a softness to the PQ but that is gone and it now looks fantastic. I have since tried other Disney/Pixar movies as well as other discs. I swapped between the Samsung and my Sony and actually now prefer the Samsung. I no longer have the X800 to compare and it may or may not still do better but what I felt was the weakest aspect of this player before is no longer a weak point to me at all.

Anyone else have similar results?

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X700/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #342 of 1063 Old 06-25-2017, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Well with my new found love of the upscaling I seam to have run into the first disc this player refuses to play. My son wanted to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas but once the disc gets past all the advertisements and coming attractions it hangs up at where the menu would load. The screen just stays black no matter what I do. The player is not locked up and I can go into settings and tools no problem. It will just not load the menu no matter how many times I eject and try to reload. Disc is pristine and clean and I even wiped it down just to double check.

Not sure what or why it wont load the menu or if there is anything else I can try but throwing the disc in the Sony shows the same exact behavior only the screen goes black for just a second or 2 then the menu screen comes on, with the Samsung the screen just stays black.

DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
post #343 of 1063 Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
Well with my new found love of the upscaling I seam to have run into the first disc this player refuses to play. My son wanted to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas but once the disc gets past all the advertisements and coming attractions it hangs up at where the menu would load. The screen just stays black no matter what I do. The player is not locked up and I can go into settings and tools no problem. It will just not load the menu no matter how many times I eject and try to reload. Disc is pristine and clean and I even wiped it down just to double check.

Not sure what or why it wont load the menu or if there is anything else I can try but throwing the disc in the Sony shows the same exact behavior only the screen goes black for just a second or 2 then the menu screen comes on, with the Samsung the screen just stays black.
I have had this happen only once a couple of years ago; I don't recall the title, but the disc behaved as you described in both a Sony and a Panasonic 1080p player. I eventually backed up the title as an MKV and saved it to my NAS...and it played perfectly. I would suggest inserting a thumb drive into the M9500 to serve as memory for BD Live to see if it plays normally.

post #344 of 1063 Old 06-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have had this happen only once a couple of years ago; I don't recall the title, but the disc behaved as you described in both a Sony and a Panasonic 1080p player. I eventually backed up the title as an MKV and saved it to my NAS...and it played perfectly. I would suggest inserting a thumb drive into the M9500 to serve as memory for BD Live to see if it plays normally.
Ok I actually have a few extra thumb drives. I'll test it out and check back with an update.

Update: Thumb drive did not work. I plugged it in and selected it under BD-live settings but same result. What else I have noticed is most other discs the player will tell you what disc you have in the tray. This disc it does not, the home screen just has a blank picture and it says current disc - Blu-ray Disc.

Update 2: Decided to contact Samsung to see what they would say. They had me disable BD-live all together and reset the player but to no avail. In the end they basically said it is probably a compatibility issue and they took the disc info to forward to the appropriate source to be checked out.

I agreed since it has played all UHD discs and all other blu's I have put in there flawlessly up until this one disc. I have well over 300+ discs and of course have not tried them all in this new player but I would not be surprised if whatever the hang up with this disc was could certainly cause another disc to not load properly so hopefully they do forward it and it is something that can and will be addressed. I am lucky to have my Sony player otherwise this might have been a bigger deal to me, to have this be my only player and to not have it play some discs due to a compatibility issue would have been NO BUENO!!!

Any one else with a copy of Nightmare Before Christmas that can check and see if it plays ok in there's? If it matters I have the original release special edition(not sure if any later releases are different). Or can anyone else that had a problem with a disc give me the name so I can test it out if I have it? I am curious if it is a compatibility issue that should/would be common amongst all the players?

Last edited by aKa DaShiznit; 06-25-2017 at 05:21 PM.
post #345 of 1063 Old 06-26-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
is DTS HD working with MKV files ? WIth the K8500 comes only DTS Core with a DTS HD track and Dolby True HD doesnt Work.
post #346 of 1063 Old 06-26-2017, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKK101 View Post
is DTS HD working with MKV files ? WIth the K8500 comes only DTS Core with a DTS HD track and Dolby True HD doesnt Work.
HD audio formats are only supported via disc. Check the first post for additional details on file type support.

post #347 of 1063 Old 06-27-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
HD audio formats are only supported via disc. Check the first post for additional details on file type support.
DTS HD and DTS works over USB and NAS from mkv file and with Plex App. !!
only Disc is not correct. I am on the latest Firmware.
Atmos dont work !
post #348 of 1063 Old 06-29-2017, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
No HDR Pop Up

I have just started having a problem with this player. I have it connected to a Samsung 65" KS8000 normally when playing HDR content a pop up appears on the top left of the screen stating "An HDR Video Is Playing". Starting today for some reason when playing a 4K HDR disc or using Amazon or Netflix HDR content there is no pop up. When I use Netflix or Amazon apps directly on the TV the pop up appears. Any suggestions? The TV did update yesterday to version 1180 however it seems to be a problem with the M9500.
post #349 of 1063 Old 06-29-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 1145
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpault View Post
I have just started having a problem with this player. I have it connected to a Samsung 65" KS8000 normally when playing HDR content a pop up appears on the top left of the screen stating "An HDR Video Is Playing". Starting today for some reason when playing a 4K HDR disc or using Amazon or Netflix HDR content there is no pop up. When I use Netflix or Amazon apps directly on the TV the pop up appears. Any suggestions? The TV did update yesterday to version 1180 however it seems to be a problem with the M9500.
Are you using Cal Night mode by any chance, if so Samsung has patched it after FW 1180 so that it wont do HDR anymore. You can only use Movie or Standard mode now for HDR.
post #350 of 1063 Old 06-30-2017, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpault View Post
1180 removed the drop down notification for HDR. If you scan through the KS8000 thread you will see it is gone for everyone with 1180. However if you hit the Center/enter key on the remote you can still get the drop down that will give you the info on resolution and the HDR badge should also show up there if your watching HDR.
post #351 of 1063 Old 06-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Also an update on the my problem with the nightmare before Christmas disc. Went to Best Buy to pick up a couple new movies and decided to bring the disc with me, they had the M9500 hooked up so I asked to test it. It did not play in the M9500 at the store. I also went to a buddy of mines house who just bought this player with his Q7 and it would not play on his M9500 either.

So seems this should affect all M9500s and hopefully Samsung can figure it out. Although this is the only disc I personally know of I have not played all of my standard discs in this player so I am sure there are bound to be others. Hopefully whatever the reason this disc does not play is the same reason that any other problematic discs do not play.
post #352 of 1063 Old 07-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
samsung blu ray 9500 volume and stutering

I got my Samsung 9500 yesterday everything works well but when I raise the volume on the tv their is stuttering when I use the receiver same thing
it only does that when I use the volume anybody has the same problem
post #353 of 1063 Old 07-01-2017, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaiker View Post
I got my Samsung 9500 yesterday everything works well but when I raise the volume on the tv their is stuttering when I use the receiver same thing
it only does that when I use the volume anybody has the same problem
How is the unit connected to the AVR and TV? Which remote are you using? Are the TV speakers disabled? Does this occur with all programs... including discs and apps? What are your audio settings?

post #354 of 1063 Old 07-02-2017, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 184
a option for any1 is the m8500/ same player but only 1 hdmi. for about half the price. i have had 1 a couple weeks and works great. only comparison i have had is with the xbox s. It blows away the xbox in pq, not even close.
post #355 of 1063 Old 07-05-2017, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

REVIEW BY STEVE WITHERS OF AV FORUMS:

https://www.avforums.com/review/sams...r-review.13705
venus933 likes this.

post #356 of 1063 Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Seems like a nice upgrade over last years.
post #357 of 1063 Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
REVIEW BY STEVE WITHERS OF AV FORUMS:

hhettps://www.avforums.com/review/sa...r-review.13705
Wished he dove deeper into this auto optimization thing. I mean hdr looks brighter on my js8500 vs the sony x800 but id still like to know the whys and hows!
post #358 of 1063 Old 07-05-2017, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Worth Getting? 120hz?

Hello,
I'm new to this and just got a samsung q7c tv along with a samsung soundbar. I currently play my 4k movies through my xbox one s, which plays at 60hz. The tv can play at 120hz does it automatically upscale it 120hz? Also, if I got this player would I tell a picture quality difference between this and the xbox one s? Does the 4k player play at 60 or 120hz? Thanks!
post #359 of 1063 Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent1662 View Post
Hello,
I'm new to this and just got a samsung q7c tv along with a samsung soundbar. I currently play my 4k movies through my xbox one s, which plays at 60hz. The tv can play at 120hz does it automatically upscale it 120hz? Also, if I got this player would I tell a picture quality difference between this and the xbox one s? Does the 4k player play at 60 or 120hz? Thanks!
Technical specs and links to a couple of professional reviews are in the first post. You'll have to compare the game console with the disc player yourself.
brent1662 likes this.

post #360 of 1063 Old 07-05-2017, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmons View Post
a option for any1 is the m8500/ same player but only 1 hdmi. for about half the price. i have had 1 a couple weeks and works great. only comparison i have had is with the xbox s. It blows away the xbox in pq, not even close.
Could you really tell a big difference between the two? Does the 4k player play at higher refresh than the xbox one s 60hz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4:2:0 , 4:4:4 , hdmi , Samsung , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page