OFFICAL SAMSUNG UBD-M9500 OWNER'S THREAD (No price talk, please) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 689Likes

post #31 of 1070 Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 3260
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosman View Post
Hi Rudy, Are you saying then that there's no real improvement in PQ from the K8500 to the new M9500?
As far as I can tell, the picture quality seems identical on the new model. However, I never experienced any of the issues some other UBD-K8500 owners reported, such as the red smearing on a few HD Blu-Ray titles or the excessive noise reduction. Also, the largest screen my K8500 was connected to was a 65-incher...I would expect that anyone using a larger display or a projector would notice things that I might overlook. Of the players I've tried so far, I think the Sony and the Samsungs were pretty much even PQ-wise, and the Philips was not as sharp. But that's just my opinion with my particular displays and viewing environment.

I'm not currently using an OLED, nor do I have a need for HDR to SDR conversion, so I cannot say whether or not the M9500 would bring improvements in picture quality over the K8500. I think we need to get more direct feedback from people who've owned both Samsungs before we can make an educated assessment of the PQ on the new player. That, and at least a couple of in-depth professional reviews.
b0rnarian likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1070 Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
As far as I can tell, the picture quality seems identical on the new model. However, I never experienced any of the issues some other UBD-K8500 owners reported, such as the red smearing on a few HD Blu-Ray titles or the excessive noise reduction. Also, the largest screen my K8500 was connected to was a 65-incher...I would expect that anyone using a larger display or a projector would notice things that I might overlook. Of the players I've tried so far, I think the Sony and the Samsungs were pretty much even PQ-wise, and the Philips was not as sharp. But that's just my opinion with my particular displays and viewing environment.

I'm not currently using an OLED, nor do I have a need for HDR to SDR conversion, so I cannot say whether or not the M9500 would bring improvements in picture quality over the K8500. I think we need to get more direct feedback from people who've owned both Samsungs before we can make an educated assessment of the PQ on the new player. That, and at least a couple of in-depth professional reviews.
Great reply - many thanks. I'll wait and see if there are any reviews in the next month while waiting for it to be available in UK.

Sony KD-55XD9305
Samsung BD-J7500 & UBD-M9500
Sonos Soundbar/Sub/2 x Play 1's
post #33 of 1070 Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Curiosity killed me, stopped by best buy coming home from work and picked one up. Paired with a samsung js8500. Went through multiple discs, then compared to the sony. Seems this player is a big improvement over last years pq wise with 4k discs. The sony and samsung looked identical to my eyes in terms of resolution. Regarding hdr I almost prefer the samsung over the sony but they are pretty close. No settings chamged on my tv in terms of this auto adjust feature to optimize hdr, i turned off hdmi color on the tv and hdr looked great, no visible banding, nice color saturation, and almost looked slightly brighter in highlights compared to the sony where you have to turn on hdmi color to get the WCG. Is something happening between the tv and player backstage that i cant see to improve hdr? I have no idea, but no settings changed on the tv. Overall, good improvement from their freshman player and again im terms of pq both players looked identical regarding resolution. Have not looked at a blu ray yet to compare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Curiosity killed me, stopped by best buy coming home from work and picked one up. Paired with a samsung js8500. Went through multiple discs, then compared to the sony. Seems this player is a big improvement over last years pq wise with 4k discs. The sony and samsung looked identical to my eyes in terms of resolution. Regarding hdr I almost prefer the samsung over the sony but they are pretty close. No settings chamged on my tv in terms of this auto adjust feature to optimize hdr, i turned off hdmi color on the tv and hdr looked great, no visible banding, nice color saturation, and almost looked slightly brighter in highlights compared to the sony where you have to turn on hdmi color to get the WCG. Is something happening between the tv and player backstage that i cant see to improve hdr? I have no idea, but no settings changed on the tv. Overall, good improvement from their freshman player and again im terms of pq both players looked identical regarding resolution. Have not looked at a blu ray yet to compare
Hi wmoss35, Thanks for your curiosity. From your comments it sounds like i'd be better off waiting for the M9500?

Sony KD-55XD9305
post #35 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
What TV do you have? if you don't mind my asking. I think I am gonna pick one up too this weekend.

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X700/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #36 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 03:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
Quote:
What TV do you have? if you don't mind my asking. I think I am gonna pick one up too this weekend.
Samsung JS8500
post #37 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=sonosman;52586321]
Quote:
Hi wmoss35, Thanks for your curiosity. From your comments it sounds like i'd be better off waiting for the M9500?[/QUOTE

This one or the sony. I still think the Sony is the better buy right now. 100 dollars cheaper and 2 free sony movies to boot. They seem to be equal when playing back 4k discs.
post #38 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 AM

[quote=wmoss35;52586801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosman View Post
Hi wmoss35, Thanks for your curiosity. From your comments it sounds like i'd be better off waiting for the M9500?[/QUOTE

This one or the sony. I still think the Sony is the better buy right now. 100 dollars cheaper and 2 free sony movies to boot. They seem to be equal when playing back 4k discs.
I would go for the Sony but unfortunately my Sonos setup requires a player that converts DTS (All flavours) to DD 5.1 on the fly and Samsung are the only manufacturers who provide this on their players (over HDMI). The Oppo 203 has recently had a firmware update to provide this but only over SPDIF. I did actually buy the Oppo but it was too big for my cabinet, I wouldn't get a new cabinet past the wife without a spanish inquisition, so i had to return it. So my only options currently are the existing K8500 or the new M9500 (when available in UK).
brian.delaney likes this.

Sony KD-55XD9305
post #39 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2004 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Pretty sure you have to turn on UHD HDMI Color On on your TV to receive WCG as I own a Samsung as well. Is that what you have turned off? That's probably whey the HDR settings didn't change either? Who knows, Samsung needs to let the consumers know exactly how this feature is suppose to work instead of guess work.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
post #40 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Quote:
Pretty sure you have to turn on UHD HDMI Color On on your TV to receive WCG as I own a Samsung as well. Is that what you have turned off? That's probably whey the HDR settings didn't change either? Who knows, Samsung needs to let the consumers know exactly how this feature is suppose to work instead of guess work.
Thats not true. They look equivalent with it on or off and nothing changed on my tv. Samsung to samsung does not require uhd color on, as the player and tv sync up automatically.
post #41 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thats not true. They look equivalent with it on or off and nothing changed on my tv. Samsung to samsung does not require uhd color on, as the player and tv sync up automatically.
Ahh yes, you are correct. Samsung to Samsung, it doesn't matter. Also, interesting to see your Settings didn't automatically changed like Rudy... maybe b/c he has the new Q9?

I think the biggest difference (drop down in quality) would be with regular BluRays. I remember with K8500, the upscaling was horrible compared to my TV and there was no option to keep resolution Native on the player and it was just a lot of switching back and forth (PITA). Sadly, the new player doesn't included it either but who knows if the upscaling has been tweaked on this player and if so the setting can just be kept on Auto. Don't have a clue at this point though.

Last edited by b0rnarian; 04-28-2017 at 07:40 AM.
post #42 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Ahh yes, you are correct. Samsung to Samsung, it doesn't matter. Also, interesting to see your Settings didn't automatically changed like Rudy... maybe b/c he has the new Q9?

I think the biggest difference (drop down in quality) would be with regular BluRays. I remember with K8500, the upscaling was horrible compared to my TV and there was no option to keep resolution Native on the player and it was just a lot of switching back and forth (PITA). Sadly, the new player doesn't included it either but who knows if the upscaling has been tweaked on this player and if so the setting can just be kept on Auto. Don't have a clue at this point though.
Ive always preffered the tv do the scaling. Probably why I will keep the sony, i love the original resolution option on the player. This player does play blu rays better then the 8500 but the sonys colors look more saturated and pure for 1080p content. Not sure why my settimgs dont change, but im glad they do not! What a headache that would be everytime i popped a movie in. Not a bad player, but for 100 dollars less you are getting basically the same pq with the sony.
post #43 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ive always preffered the tv do the scaling. Probably why I will keep the sony, i love the original resolution option on the player. This player does play blu rays better then the 8500 but the sonys colors look more saturated and pure for 1080p content. Not sure why my settimgs dont change, but im glad they do not! What a headache that would be everytime i popped a movie in. Not a bad player, but for 100 dollars less you are getting basically the same pq with the sony.
I do like the Interface compared to the Sony's and the color Space info. is nice. Another bigger reason to consider this is when the HDR10+ apps drop, it'd be nice to have this player stream all those on the player but that's most likely in 2018 with actual content.

post #44 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

NETFLIX HDR CONTENT IS NOW LIVE!

Currently, the following apps are HDR-compatible:

NETFLIX
AMAZON
YOUTUBE

Support for UHD/HDR content from Vudu is expected in the near future. You may now stream HD content with Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS.
venus933 likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #45 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
NETFLIX HDR CONTENT IS NOW LIVE!

Currently, the following apps are HDR-compatible:

NETFLIX
AMAZON
YOUTUBE

Support for UHD/HDR content from Vudu is expected in the near future. You may now stream HD content with Dolby Digital Plus ATMOS.
Hows the Wi-Fi connectivity on the player, it sucks on my Samsung TV pretty bad.

post #46 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hows the Wi-Fi connectivity on the player, it sucks on my Samsung TV pretty bad.
It's been pretty stable...no buffering on any of the sources. I guess I'm fortunate because my Sony and Samsung TVs do very well on the WiFi connection...never have any issues with it.

post #47 of 1070 Old 04-28-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

By the way, there's a new firmware update available today as well, but it's independent of the NETFLIX app...the app downloaded automatically late last night.

post #48 of 1070 Old 04-29-2017, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Just bought this player today and it's actually really nice. I feel like I'm not missing anything moving to it from the Sony PQ wise and it plays perfect on my KS8000 where the Sony would skip and stutter.

One thing I noticed is the colors seam much richer. Rewatching some episodes of planet earth 2 the vibrancy of the colors literally had me say wow and was immediately noticeable in comparison to the Sony. The unit is much smaller, lighter and not as solid as the Sony and feels the same build as the K8500.

The player outputs a 10 bit signal which was the problem with my TV and the Sony. My TV just did not like the 12 bit signal even though I know other KS owners have the Sony player and have zero issues with it.

I like the little screen on the front, not much info but is a cool little touch. I love the UI and it is very like the KS tvs. It's nice you can hit the menu button and pull up the hub just like the TV and it doesn't stop the movie. It's very snappy and overall the player has been pretty quiet.
post #49 of 1070 Old 04-29-2017, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just bought this player today and it's actually really nice. I feel like I'm not missing anything moving to it from the Sony PQ wise and it plays perfect on my KS8000 where the Sony would skip and stutter.

One thing I noticed is the colors seam much richer. Rewatching some episodes of planet earth 2 the vibrancy of the colors literally had me say wow and was immediately noticeable in comparison to the Sony. The unit is much smaller, lighter and not as solid as the Sony and feels the same build as the K8500.

The player outputs a 10 bit signal which was the problem with my TV and the Sony. My TV just did not like the 12 bit signal even though I know other KS owners have the Sony player and have zero issues with it.

I like the little screen on the front, not much info but is a cool little touch. I love the UI and it is very like the KS tvs. It's nice you can hit the menu button and pull up the hub just like the TV and it doesn't stop the movie. It's very snappy and overall the player has been pretty quiet.
I have a js8500 samsung and I do feel like it shows hdr slightly better then the sony. I did alot of back and forth last night with both players, PQ resolution wise is equal to my detalied eyes, a big step up from the k8500 because sony killed that one regarding pq but i always felt like hdr wasnt quite as good, albeit slightly. I have a keen for details, like the k8500 did hdr better but the pic was softer. This seems to have reached that happy medium i was looking for. However after testing lots of 1080p blu's while resolution wise they seem to be equal sonys player seems to produce better color saturation.
post #50 of 1070 Old 04-29-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I should preface by saying 4k hdr was better from this player vs the sony, it was just 1080p blus where for some reason i prefer the colors and vibrance from the sony, but yeah i agree with your assesment!
post #51 of 1070 Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

I have not tried any regular blu's in this player yet. I have tested Amazon, Netflix and Youtube. HDR is working beautifully from all of them and I am happy to report Amazon and Netflix both play in the native 24p. Now if the Vudu app would just support UHD on this player I could sell my Roku to make up for the difference in price lol. I do get DD+ from Amazon, Netflix and Vudu so the Atmos demos on Vudu play perfectly as well.

Also just check Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and my Denon is reporting 60p BT2020 10 bit. Not sure if its 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 though.

DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)

Last edited by aKa DaShiznit; 04-29-2017 at 07:41 PM.
post #52 of 1070 Old 04-29-2017, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Now if the Vudu app would just support UHD on this player I could sell my Roku to make up for the difference in price lol.
Samsung and Vudu need to figure this out. Why can't Samsung devices stream UHD from Vudu yet?
vektar likes this.
post #53 of 1070 Old 04-30-2017, 01:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 20
To Wmoss...What happen to your 930e?? Which do u like better the 930e or js8500 tv??
post #54 of 1070 Old 04-30-2017, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Another thing I haven't noticed is any auto adjustments to my TV. HDR kicks in the HDR settings same as the K8500 and X800 so it must be only supported on Samsung's 2017 TV's.

post #55 of 1070 Old 04-30-2017, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cev8500 View Post
To Wmoss...What happen to your 930e?? Which do u like better the 930e or js8500 tv??
I have both, the js8500 went to the bedroom! So the samsung player is in the bedroom the sony is paired with the 930e in the living room. 930e is better in all aspects, especially black levels and blinding brightness, great tv! The samsung seems to produce a wider color gamut with 4k discs but only slightly, other then that im happy with it!
post #56 of 1070 Old 04-30-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another thing I haven't noticed is any auto adjustments to my TV. HDR kicks in the HDR settings same as the K8500 and X800 so it must be only supported on Samsung's 2017 TV's.
Thats what i am thinking, which is fine by me. I dont want the player to do adjustments for me, dont tell me how to live my life!
beerhunt likes this.
post #57 of 1070 Old 04-30-2017, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydeweyz View Post
Samsung and Vudu need to figure this out. Why can't Samsung devices stream UHD from Vudu yet?
See post number 45...I'm not at liberty to post anything further on the subject.

post #58 of 1070 Old 04-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
See post number 45...I'm not at liberty to post anything further on the subject.
That would be Fanf**kingtastic if delivered upon and I would sell my Roku Ultra in a heart beat. Would be a major + for the player too as the consensus in the X800 thread is that no Sony player will ever support Vudu UHD because of something to do with the security of the player. Would really justify the added expense of this player if it were the first truly all in one device on top of being a solid UHD disc player.

post #59 of 1070 Old 04-30-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Its too bad the regular BluRay quality isnt as good as the Sony player. Hurts even more as you can't have your TV do the upscaling on the fly. But might be worth the investment if the player gets the HDR10+ update in the future.
post #60 of 1070 Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its too bad the regular BluRay quality isnt as good as the Sony player. Hurts even more as you can't have your TV do the upscaling on the fly. But might be worth the investment if the player gets the HDR10+ update in the future.
they are real real close pq wise, resolution wise probably equal if you manually set 1080p on the player so the tv upscales it. Color wise though the sony is better on blu rays, it almost gives is that faux hdr effect like the 930e, hard to explain. Most folks probably wouldnt be able to see any difference between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4:2:0 , 4:4:4 , hdmi , Samsung , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page