OFFICAL SAMSUNG UBD-M9500 OWNER'S THREAD (No price talk, please) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 689Likes

post #1 of 1070 Old 04-22-2017, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 3260
OFFICIAL SAMSUNG UBD-M9500 OWNER'S THREAD (No price talk, please)

Design Concept

Curved with Touch Control Buttons and Front OLED Display

Features

Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)

CD Ripping

Multiroom Compatible

Apps Platform
Smart Blu-ray with Full Web Browser and Samsung Apps Smart Hub
Audio Processing

Dolby Decoding

DTS Decoding 

Dolby TrueHD Decoding
Dolby Atmos Decoding
DTS-HD Master Audio Decoding
DTS-X Decoding
Auro 3D Decoding
Video Features

HDR

HD Up-Scaling

UHD Up-scale

Video Upscale (DVD)

AV Decoding Format

WMV
/JPEG
/MKV
Connectivity

360-degree View

Bluetooth®

HDMI Out
 (2)

N Screen (BD to Mobile)

USB Connectivity (1 side)

WiFi

Ethernet

Optical Digital Audio Output
Power Consumption

Stand-by Power Consumption (Main)
0.3W

Operating Power Consumption (Main)
22W

Rating Voltage
 AC 110-120V ~50/60Hz

Supported Media

Ultra HD Blu-ray

AVCHD

Blu-ray

DVD / DVD±R / DVD±RW

Player dimensions (W x H x D)
: 15.98" x 1.77" x 8.88"

Product Weight (lb.): 4.19

You can stream content wirelessly from the M9500 to any mobile device on your Wi-Fi network. This way you can watch a Blu-Ray disc on your mobile device while watching content from another source on your TV. You can even watch on your mobile with the TV turned off. The PICTURE SETTINGS menu now includes an option to convert HDR to SDR. Like its predecessor, the M9500 can re-encode audio to either Dolby Digital or DTS and bitstream it to your AVR or soundbar via Toslink or HDMI. Of course, you may also bitstream audio unprocessed to a compatible audio device. You can now select 24p output independently for discs as well as for the Smart Hub apps.
Automatic switching of refresh rates at 24/25/30/50/60 frames per second is supported on streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon.

HDR and multichannel audio are supported on selected titles from Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, and FandangoNOW; multichannel audio support from UltraFlix available on selected titles.

The INFO banner now gives more detailed data on the file being played, including COLORSPACE, AUDIO FORMAT, VIDEO CODEC, HDR, etc.

The UHD Video Pack is NOT compatible with this BDP.

This player does NOT support 3D.

Link to MANUAL...
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co..._00_170223.pdf

Link to REVIEW by MARK HENNINGER...
https://www.avsforum.com/samsung-ubd...player-review/

Link to REVIEW by STEVE WITHERS...
https://www.avforums.com/review/sams...r-review.13705

Link to REVIEW by Bryan Kluger...
http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/4888...rayplayer.html

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.

Last edited by Rudy1; 06-23-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1070 Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 1169
Would like to know how the Auto calibration of HDR works on Samsung TVs. Are all main Apps HDR ready?
post #3 of 1070 Old 04-22-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 707 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Rudy how is the pic quality compared to last years version? Any signs of that dreaded noise reduction that plagued image quality on the previous version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1070 Old 04-22-2017, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Rudy how is the pic quality compared to last years version? Any signs of that dreaded noise reduction that plagued image quality on the previous version?
I haven't had a chance to do any real testing. I'll try to set aside some time next week, and I'll get back to you guys with my impressions.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #5 of 1070 Old 04-22-2017, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Quote:
I haven't had a chance to do any real testing. I'll try to set aside some time next week, and I'll get back to you guys with my impressions.
Thanks man
post #6 of 1070 Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Firmware update. I'm going to be busy this weekend with this thing!

post #7 of 1070 Old 04-24-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
Would like to know how the Auto calibration of HDR works on Samsung TVs. Are all main Apps HDR ready?
Any insight into this @Rudy1 pls...?

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H 11.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Discs For SALE : 4Ks And 2Ks!
post #8 of 1070 Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any insight into this @Rudy1 pls...?
I'll report back on this and other features when I've had some time to do some testing on Saturday.

post #9 of 1070 Old 04-25-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
so if I have the Samsung K8500 is there any point in upgrading to this model ? especially since Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision?
post #10 of 1070 Old 04-25-2017, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
so if I have the Samsung K8500 is there any point in upgrading to this model ? especially since Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision?
If it comes without that dreaded undeafeatable noise reduction like the 8500 has then yes. Thats why all other players i have looked at have a noticeably sharper picture then the k8500. The Sony is leaps and bounds better for 100 dollars cheaper.
post #11 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my Q9, the EXPERT SETTINGS menu shows the following on HDMI input where the M9500 is connected (I had not used this input prior to connecting the BDP):
BACKLIGHT 20, BRIGHTNESS 0, CONTRAST 100, SHARPNESS 60, COLOR 50, TINT G50/R50, DIGITAL CLEAN VIEW "OFF", AUTO MOTION PLUS "CUSTOM", LOCAL DIMMING "HIGH", CONTRAST ENHANCER "OFF", HDR+ MODE "OFF", COLOR TONE "WARM 1", GAMMA ST.2084 "0", RGB ONLY "OFF", COLOR SPACE "NATIVE".

post #12 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I couldn't tell if the noise reduction was still present. I played "The Martian" and "Planet Earth" and the images seemed very sharp and detailed; my HD Blu-Ray collection has been converted to ISOs which I stream using a Mede8er MED800X3D, so I cannot comment on 1080p Blu-Ray sources as far as NR is concerned. My observations may not be representative of those of other users as I'm seated only six feet away from the Q9.

post #13 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my Q9, the EXPERT SETTINGS menu shows the following on HDMI input where the M9500 is connected (I had not used this input prior to connecting the BDP):
BACKLIGHT 20, BRIGHTNESS 0, CONTRAST 100, SHARPNESS 60, COLOR 50, TINT G50/R50, DIGITAL CLEAN VIEW "OFF", AUTO MOTION PLUS "CUSTOM", LOCAL DIMMING "HIGH", CONTRAST ENHANCER "OFF", HDR+ MODE "OFF", COLOR TONE "WARM 1", GAMMA ST.2084 "0", RGB ONLY "OFF", COLOR SPACE "NATIVE".
If I understand correctly these settings on your TV were changed from default per the M9500? If so,
1. are these settings drastically different from when you would play a normal UHD/HDR content that'll make BL and Contrast to Max anyways?
2. What if you decided to play SDR content on this input, would the settings change again to normal?
3. Is Color Space changed this time from Auto to Native for tracking it correctly, on the JS series it was Native as well but on KS it was Auto.
4. Just a little confused if its actually the M9500 that's changing those settings and what real advantage its bringing if any... Thanks.

Best,
post #14 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are all main Apps HDR ready?
I checked Amazon and YouTube and they are HDR-ready; Netflix is not available for download yet...I'm told the app is still being evaluated and should be available by this weekend.
b0rnarian and venus933 like this.

post #15 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I understand correctly these settings on your TV were changed from default per the M9500? If so,
1. are these settings drastically different from when you would play a normal UHD/HDR content that'll make BL and Contrast to Max anyways?
2. What if you decided to play SDR content on this input, would the settings change again to normal?
3. Is Color Space changed this time from Auto to Native for tracking it correctly, on the JS series it was Native as well but on KS it was Auto.
4. Just a little confused if its actually the M9500 that's changing those settings and what real advantage its bringing if any... Thanks.
1. Yes. The picture mode changed from STANDARD to MOVIE.
2. SDR UHD content on this input, played by the M9500, results in the following changes: BACKLIGHT 20, BRIGHTNESS -5, CONTRAST 95, SHARPNESS 65, COLOR 50, TINT G50/R50, AUTO MOTION PLUS "CUSTOM", LOCAL DIMMING "STANDARD", CONTRAST ENHANCER "OFF", HDR+ MODE "OFF", COLOR TONE "WARM", GAMMA BT.1886 "0" RGB ONLY MODE "OFF", COLOR SPACE "AUTO".
3. No...it remains on "Auto".
4. They tell me it's designed to make initial setup easier with "compatible" TVs. Customers have expressed concerns over the difficulty in obtaining an optimized picture on their displays...they don't want to have to get a professional calibration done or spend endless hours doing it themselves.

post #16 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2. SDR UHD content on this input, played by the M9500, results in the following changes: BACKLIGHT 20, BRIGHTNESS -5, CONTRAST 95, SHARPNESS 65, COLOR 50, TINT G50/R50, AUTO MOTION PLUS "CUSTOM", LOCAL DIMMING "STANDARD", CONTRAST ENHANCER "OFF", HDR+ MODE "OFF", COLOR TONE "WARM", GAMMA BT.1886 "0" RGB ONLY MODE "OFF", COLOR SPACE "AUTO".
4. They tell me it's designed to make initial setup easier with "compatible" TVs. Customers have expressed concerns over the difficulty in obtaining an optimized picture on their displays...they don't want to have to get a professional calibration done or spend endless hours doing it themselves.
That's pretty amazing if that the player can actually calibrate at least these general settings for Samsung TVs on the go. How about deeper settings such as White Balance... Not sure how accurate it would be though, doesn't Backlight top out at 20 on the Q9, kinda aggressive for SDR content. Also thought Sharpness was always supposed to be at zero. Wondering how it'll do for CAL Night mode, which is my preference instead of Movie mode for everything.

PS: I asked about the color space b/c your HDR settings said Color was set to Native and not Auto. Thanks for these great details, makes me wanna purchase a unit right away, I just wanna figure a few more things out before jumping in.

Best,
post #17 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's pretty amazing if that the player can actually calibrate at least these general settings for Samsung TVs on the go. How about deeper settings such as White Balance... Not sure how accurate it would be though, doesn't Backlight top out at 20 on the Q9, kinda aggressive for SDR content. Also thought Sharpness was always supposed to be at zero. Wondering how it'll do for CAL Night mode, which is my preference instead of Movie mode for everything.

PS: I asked about the color space b/c your HDR settings said Color was set to Native and not Auto. Thanks for these great details, makes me wanna purchase a unit right away, I just wanna figure a few more things out before jumping in.
White Balance was not changed.

post #18 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
White Balance was not changed.
Guess It would be tough to compare these settings with older content you've already seen as your TV is fairly new as well so everything must look difference for the better of it. Hows the upscaling on the player, my K8500 was pretty bad compared to the TV. Thanks for answering all the questions.

Best,
post #19 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Guess It would be tough to compare these settings with older content you've already seen as your TV is fairly new as well so everything must look difference for the better of it. Hows the upscaling on the player, my K8500 was pretty bad compared to the TV. Thanks for answering all the questions.
Upscaling is pretty good. Using the HD version of "The Martian", the image is clean and well-defined in the fore and mid-ground. Objects in the distant background are a little softer than they appear on the UHD version of the film, but the freckles in Jessica Chastain's skin and the lettering on the equipment are clearly visible though not as razor-sharp as they are on the UHD version. Colors are pretty much the same, though of course you lose the "punch" that HDR brings to images.

I tried playing back a THX-remastered DVD of "Cleopatra"; the player loaded this title just as quickly as it does HD and UHD Blu-Rays. But the picture quality of the 480i signal upscaled to 2160p is acceptable, at best. In the upscaled HD Blu-Ray version one can clearly see that the "bodies" the soldiers are lifting onto the funeral pyres in the opening scenes are actually dummies. Such clarity and detail is completely absent from the upscaled DVD images, so I would not recommend playing anything lower than 1080p content on any of these players (the Philips and Sony I had previously were no better at upscaling low-resolution content).
b0rnarian likes this.

post #20 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like a cluster if the player changes not only settings but totally different picture presets altogether. Assuming it doesnt do this everytime if you go back to standard from movie? Or does it switch to movie everytime?
post #21 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I don't think I'd really like the auto picture picture adjustment. Sounds like a preset for dummies kind of thing. No real need if you've already got your settings figured out.
post #22 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Upscaling is pretty good. Using the HD version of "The Martian", the image is clean and well-defined in the fore and mid-ground. Objects in the distant background are a little softer than they appear on the UHD version of the film, but the freckles in Jessica Chastain's skin and the lettering on the equipment are clearly visible though not as razor-sharp as they are on the UHD version. Colors are pretty much the same, though of course you lose the "punch" that HDR brings to images.

I tried playing back a THX-remastered DVD of "Cleopatra"; the player loaded this title just as quickly as it does HD and UHD Blu-Rays. But the picture quality of the 480i signal upscaled to 2160p is acceptable, at best. In the upscaled HD Blu-Ray version one can clearly see that the "bodies" the soldiers are lifting onto the funeral pyres in the opening scenes are actually dummies. Such clarity and detail is completely absent from the upscaled DVD images, so I would not recommend playing anything lower than 1080p content on any of these players (the Philips and Sony I had previously were no better at upscaling low-resolution content).
How would you compare this player to the Sony? Is it quiet? I switched from a K8500 to the Sony but having bad stuttering issues that is basically coming down to how my KS8000 is handling the signal from the X800. After bypassing the AVR, getting all new cables, and swapping through 4 different X800's the problem persists.

I did not have this problem with the K8500 but they kept dying on me and I remember they could get loud. Do you know if the M9500 is outputting 10 bit like the K8500 or 12 bit like the Sony? I thought about trying another K8500 instead of convincing Samsung my TV isn't handling the signal from the X800 correctly. They are sure to blame the player as I cannot reproduce the same problem with any of my other sources yet there are other owners with the same combo with no issue at all. My other option is this M9500, so save $100 or spend an additional $100(which I would gladly do if it is indeed worth it).

Sony XBR-65X930E (w/luminoodle)/Sony UBP-X700/Apple TV 4K/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
Denon AVR-X6200W(Surround/Height)/Emotiva XPA-3(L/C/R)/AC Infinity Aircom T8 x2
DefTech SM 65 x3(L/C/R)/DefTech PM 1000 x4(Surround)/DefTech DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/Panamax M4300-PM(Main) & MD2(Subs)/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #23 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The SONY was not whisper-soft, nor was the Philips. The K8500 was not absolutely silent either, and the M9500 seems just a tad quieter than its predecessor.

post #24 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
The SONY was not whisper-soft, nor was the Philips. The K8500 was not absolutely silent either, and the M9500 seems just a tad quieter than its predecessor.
Oh no I wasn't trying to say the Sony is whisper quiet but seams a lot quieter than the k8500. Sorry was just trying to get a comparison to see if I wanna pull the trigger on the extra $$$ to try out the m9500 or save and give another k8500 a go.
post #25 of 1070 Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
Oh no I wasn't trying to say the Sony is whisper quiet but seams a lot quieter than the k8500. Sorry was just trying to get a comparison to see if I wanna pull the trigger on the extra $$$ to try out the m9500 or save and give another k8500 a go.
I would suggest getting the M9500. You can always exchange it for a K8500 if you are not happy with it, and purchase some movies with the difference.

I seldom keep these things for more than a year so I will probably go with something else next year. The only BDPs I ever kept for about 3 years were an Oppo and a Denon, both of which were your typical built-like-a-tank flagships. But I stopped doing music discs a long time ago, so anything of that nature would be overkill for me now.

post #26 of 1070 Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Smile K8500 or M9500

Hi Rudy, as you've got lots of first hand experience with all the Samsung 4K players, i have a real basic question.
I'm currently using a J7500 (4K Upscaler) and am looking to upgrade to a full 4K player to pair with my Sony 55XD9305. Here in the UK the M9500 is not available until 'late may' so my question is:-
Do i buy the K8500 now or wait until the M9500 is available?
Many Thanks

Sony KD-55XD9305
Samsung BD-J7500 & UBD-M9500
Sonos Soundbar/Sub/2 x Play 1's

Last edited by sonosman; 04-27-2017 at 02:41 AM.
post #27 of 1070 Old 04-27-2017, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosman View Post
Hi Rudy, as you've got lots of first hand experience with all the Samsung 4K players, i have a real basic question.
I'm currently using a J7500 (4K Upscaler) and am looking to upgrade to a full 4K player to pair with my Sony 55XD9305. Here in the UK the M9500 is not available until 'late may' so my question is:-
Do i buy the K8500 now or wait until the M9500 is available?
Many Thanks
I have the US version of that Sony, and it performed well with the K8500 for the brief time during which I had the two devices connected (there was a gap between getting rid of my Samsung KS9000 and getting the Samsung Q9 to replace it). With the Sony I believe you could expect the basic picture performance with UHD/HDR content to be similar, so it's basically a case of whether or not you want the new OS/UI and features of the new player. The TV has all the streaming apps I use so moved it into the bedroom and I'm using just the apps now to view both HD and UHD content...no real need for a BDP with my collection of movies all available through Ultraviolet.

post #28 of 1070 Old 04-27-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like a cluster if the player changes not only settings but totally different picture presets altogether. Assuming it doesnt do this everytime if you go back to standard from movie? Or does it switch to movie everytime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyArray View Post
I don't think I'd really like the auto picture picture adjustment. Sounds like a preset for dummies kind of thing. No real need if you've already got your settings figured out.
@Rudy1 , can you pls shed some light onto this... does the settings change every-time, from picture mode to picture mode. Do they account for light in the room etc. I am just fully confused as to how this works exactly, I think if this is just a one time thing then its really not needed.

Best,
post #29 of 1070 Old 04-27-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I have the US version of that Sony, and it performed well with the K8500 for the brief time during which I had the two devices connected (there was a gap between getting rid of my Samsung KS9000 and getting the Samsung Q9 to replace it). With the Sony I believe you could expect the basic picture performance with UHD/HDR content to be similar, so it's basically a case of whether or not you want the new OS/UI and features of the new player. The TV has all the streaming apps I use so moved it into the bedroom and I'm using just the apps now to view both HD and UHD content...no real need for a BDP with my collection of movies all available through Ultraviolet.
Hi Rudy, Are you saying then that there's no real improvement in PQ from the K8500 to the new M9500?

Sony KD-55XD9305
Samsung BD-J7500 & UBD-M9500
Sonos Soundbar/Sub/2 x Play 1's
post #30 of 1070 Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Rudy1 , can you pls shed some light onto this... does the settings change every-time, from picture mode to picture mode. Do they account for light in the room etc. I am just fully confused as to how this works exactly, I think if this is just a one time thing then its really not needed.
As for the "optimization", so far it seems that if you change the picture mode on that input the player will change it back to its original "optimized" mode under the "Movie" setting. I disabled the ambient light sensor...I never use that feature on any brand because I find it's way too aggressive. In any event, I doubt very much it is one of the parameters the player uses because if it were there would surely be an onscreen reminder telling the user to make sure that feature is on. I checked the player, and I didn't see anything that looked like it could be a light sensor on the chassis.

I've reached out to engineering to see if this feature is designed to work with other brands of televisions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4:2:0 , 4:4:4 , hdmi , Samsung , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page