Has Denon exited the player market?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 05-28-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Has Denon exited the player market??

I currently have the Denon UDT-1713 BluRay player. I've been waiting for them to release a 4K player, so I check their site for any news every once in a while. I noticed that they took off all mentions of players entirely off the US site. What gives? Is Denon not going to make a 4K player or something?
Gerhard_Bader likes this.
SledgeHammer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 05-28-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
I currently have the Denon UDT-1713 BluRay player. I've been waiting for them to release a 4K player, so I check their site for any news every once in a while. I noticed that they took off all mentions of players entirely off the US site. What gives? Is Denon not going to make a 4K player or something?
D&M have pretty much abandoned this marketplace, aside from Marantz still selling a couple of CD players. Your player is from 2012, same as the 3313 model. D&M haven't done anything since.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #3 of 43 Old 05-28-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drh3b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 4,611
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked: 5539
They may have decided they've lost the fight with Oppo. Seems like that's their most direct competitor. Plus, I believe Sony has undercut them with a similar quality player.

My Stuff.
Spoiler!
drh3b is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 43 Old 05-28-2017, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
D&M have pretty much abandoned this marketplace, aside from Marantz still selling a couple of CD players. Your player is from 2012, same as the 3313 model. D&M haven't done anything since.
Hmm... well, there wasn't really a point in coming out with a new BluRay player the last few years Tbh. They were "feature complete", much like cell phones are. What more could you have done to them?

Now UHD players are a new thing... too bad.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 05-28-2017, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
They may have decided they've lost the fight with Oppo. Seems like that's their most direct competitor. Plus, I believe Sony has undercut them with a similar quality player.
Shame. I've always liked Denon build quality. Looking at Crutchfield, the only 4K players out are 3 Samsungs, 2 Sonys and 2 Oppos. The Samsungs are ugly / weird form factors. Same with the 2 Sony's. I guess that leaves me with either the Oppo UDP-203 or the UDP-205. Weird that neither model is discounted anywhere. Not even on eBay.
drh3b likes this.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #6 of 43 Old 05-28-2017, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Shame. I've always liked Denon build quality. Looking at Crutchfield, the only 4K players out are 3 Samsungs, 2 Sonys and 2 Oppos. The Samsungs are ugly / weird form factors. Same with the 2 Sony's. I guess that leaves me with either the Oppo UDP-203 or the UDP-205. Weird that neither model is discounted anywhere. Not even on eBay.
Unlike Denon that had a high MSRP for what you get, and then go on sale for 1/2 or less, Oppo players were always priced at what they thought was reasonable for the given build, warranty, and functionality. They do get some discount if you call and can get a refurbished unit, same quality - no damage - same 2 year warranty.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 05-28-2017, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Unlike Denon that had a high MSRP for what you get, and then go on sale for 1/2 or less, Oppo players were always priced at what they thought was reasonable for the given build, warranty, and functionality. They do get some discount if you call and can get a refurbished unit, same quality - no damage - same 2 year warranty.
Hmm... well, in that case the 205 is too pricey for me LOL... not like I need the XLR outputs. I read up on it a little bit and seems everybody is waiting for the promised DolbyVision update. I've been burned by a few companies on promised updates that never appeared, so I'll at least wait to decide on the 203 when the DV upgrade comes out.
Houmel likes this.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 05-28-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 26,101
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked: 2793
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Hmm... well, in that case the 205 is too pricey for me LOL... not like I need the XLR outputs. I read up on it a little bit and seems everybody is waiting for the promised DolbyVision update. I've been burned by a few companies on promised updates that never appeared, so I'll at least wait to decide on the 203 when the DV upgrade comes out.
You might want to read the last page of the 203 owner's thread....it seems the latest beta firmware includes (but not publicly acknowledged by OPPO) the DV update.

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
rboster is online now  
post #9 of 43 Old 05-29-2017, 06:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
OPPO is useless in a Denon setup as it lacks Denon HD-Link!!
How else would you solve the Jitter problem in a full digital scenario, including DSD, over HDMI?

BDT 3313 is still in their product line with getting highest ratings of users, even those switching from OPPO.

EDIT: You are right, Blue ray players have disappeared from the site, this must have happened just during the last days. It was still there, last week.

Still
Would love to see a worthy successor.

Last edited by Gerhard_Bader; 05-29-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Gerhard_Bader is offline  
post #10 of 43 Old 05-29-2017, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard_Bader View Post
OPPO is useless in a Denon setup as it lacks Denon HD-Link!!
How else would you solve the Jitter problem in a full digital scenario, including DSD, over HDMI?

BDT 3313 is still in their product line with getting highest ratings of users, even those switching from OPPO.

EDIT: You are right, Blue ray players have disappeared from the site, this must have happened just during the last days. It was still there, last week.

Still
Would love to see a worthy successor.
They first removed the 1713 within the past month or two. They removed the player section entirely within the past week or two.

I didn't even realize the 1713 was 5 yrs old until one of the responses pointed that out.

I can understand Denon taking a break from BluRay players for a few years since they were feature complete and heading towards end of life. What could they have possibly done in a 1714?

I guess they ran the numbers and figure people are getting 4K content from streaming services, torrents, etc.

Every new TV is 4K now, AVRs are all 4K, 4K BluRays are out, but no 4K channels yet.

I did the 1 month Netflix trial to try out the 4K service and I was not impressed at ALL. I'm not even sure why people do Netflix streaming at all. The service stinks. Nothing but old content. The 4K content was severely limited.

As I said in my original post, only Sony, Samsung, Oppo and Panasonic make players now. Then some of the consoles do it as well. Guess its not really a big thing, so Denon hasn't jumped in.

Dunno why they have 10+ AVRs out though... that doesn't make sense either.
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #11 of 43 Old 05-29-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,293
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
They first removed the 1713 within the past month or two. They removed the player section entirely within the past week or two.

I didn't even realize the 1713 was 5 yrs old until one of the responses pointed that out.

I can understand Denon taking a break from BluRay players for a few years since they were feature complete and heading towards end of life. What could they have possibly done in a 1714?

I guess they ran the numbers and figure people are getting 4K content from streaming services, torrents, etc.

Every new TV is 4K now, AVRs are all 4K, 4K BluRays are out, but no 4K channels yet.

I did the 1 month Netflix trial to try out the 4K service and I was not impressed at ALL. I'm not even sure why people do Netflix streaming at all. The service stinks. Nothing but old content. The 4K content was severely limited.

As I said in my original post, only Sony, Samsung, Oppo and Panasonic make players now. Then some of the consoles do it as well. Guess its not really a big thing, so Denon hasn't jumped in.

Dunno why they have 10+ AVRs out though... that doesn't make sense either.
People actually buy a fair amount of Denon AVRs, at various tiers.

The amount of people buying Denon Blu-ray players was miniscule.

BTW, I just bought a Philips player, although admittedly some of the internals are likely Panasonic.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #12 of 43 Old 05-29-2017, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SledgeHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
People actually buy a fair amount of Denon AVRs, at various tiers.

The amount of people buying Denon Blu-ray players was miniscule.

BTW, I just bought a Philips player, although admittedly some of the internals are likely Panasonic.
I meant they have a lot of tiers of AVRs with not much differentiating them. Like for one little bell and whistle, you have to move up 1 tier, etc. Right now they have $280, $480, $580, $600, $800, $1000, $1500, $2200, $3000. The $580/$600 doesn't make sense. I guess the price spread between the other tiers is fine, maybe $280 -> $480 is too big of a gap at the low end.

I was surprised to hear your comment on Denon Players not selling well. I had the beast mode Denon DVD player... I forget which model it was, but it was like $1200 and weighed 30 to 40lbs... When I got my DBT1713, I sold the DVD player on eBay for like $300 to $400 in the first day. DVD players were long obsolete at that point. I mentioned it to a few co-workers who were into HT too and they were surprised I got that much for a DVD player lol.

If Denon has permanently dropped out of the player game, I guess that leaves the Oppo 205 as the only videophile player. The Sony ES one is $700, but I can't imagine anybody picking that over the Oppo 203 for $560.

Guess I'm leaning towards the 203...
SledgeHammer is offline  
post #13 of 43 Old 05-29-2017, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
I was surprised to hear your comment on Denon Players not selling well. I
A very simple popularity indicator is looking at support threads for any given model in this forum. That reflects forums readers level of interest usually.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #14 of 43 Old 05-29-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 8,293
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
I meant they have a lot of tiers of AVRs with not much differentiating them. Like for one little bell and whistle, you have to move up 1 tier, etc. Right now they have $280, $480, $580, $600, $800, $1000, $1500, $2200, $3000. The $580/$600 doesn't make sense. I guess the price spread between the other tiers is fine, maybe $280 -> $480 is too big of a gap at the low end.

I was surprised to hear your comment on Denon Players not selling well. I had the beast mode Denon DVD player... I forget which model it was, but it was like $1200 and weighed 30 to 40lbs... When I got my DBT1713, I sold the DVD player on eBay for like $300 to $400 in the first day. DVD players were long obsolete at that point. I mentioned it to a few co-workers who were into HT too and they were surprised I got that much for a DVD player lol.

If Denon has permanently dropped out of the player game, I guess that leaves the Oppo 205 as the only videophile player. The Sony ES one is $700, but I can't imagine anybody picking that over the Oppo 203 for $560.

Guess I'm leaning towards the 203...
Well, that was a Denon DVD player, not a Denon Blu-ray player.

Maybe I am mistaken, but my impression was that Denon Blu-ray players just never had the fan base that the Denon DVD players had in their day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
A very simple popularity indicator is looking at support threads for any given model in this forum. That reflects forums readers level of interest usually.
Yup.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #15 of 43 Old 05-30-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard_Bader View Post
OPPO is useless in a Denon setup as it lacks Denon HD-Link!!
How else would you solve the Jitter problem in a full digital scenario, including DSD, over HDMI?
You might want to read this: http://oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase...ProdID=UDP-205

Oppo has their own solution to the jitter issue.
Gerhard_Bader likes this.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #16 of 43 Old 06-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Panasonic makes one of the best 4K players out there, the DMP-UB900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
Shame. I've always liked Denon build quality. Looking at Crutchfield, the only 4K players out are 3 Samsungs, 2 Sonys and 2 Oppos. The Samsungs are ugly / weird form factors. Same with the 2 Sony's. I guess that leaves me with either the Oppo UDP-203 or the UDP-205. Weird that neither model is discounted anywhere. Not even on eBay.
lightsout190 is offline  
post #17 of 43 Old 06-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
From what I have heard Denon and Marantz are going back to their roots of high end audio components. Plus the Blue-ray player market is too deep with so many out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer View Post
I currently have the Denon UDT-1713 BluRay player. I've been waiting for them to release a 4K player, so I check their site for any news every once in a while. I noticed that they took off all mentions of players entirely off the US site. What gives? Is Denon not going to make a 4K player or something?
lightsout190 is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The markets have changed allot. In the past both Denon and Marantz made really nice universal disk players. But with the introduction of Ultra HD and streaming services now offering 4K with smart TV's having Netflix and other streaming apps it may have not been worth while for them to put out new players. They will always continue to do CD players because that is their roots as audio companies first and CD players appeal to a different market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
D&M have pretty much abandoned this marketplace, aside from Marantz still selling a couple of CD players. Your player is from 2012, same as the 3313 model. D&M haven't done anything since.
lightsout190 is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 06-23-2017, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
Panasonic makes one of the best 4K players out there, the DMP-UB900.
The player can't play SACD or DVD-Audio discs, its not a universal player as compared to older Denon BD players such as the 3313 model. Sony's and Oppo's are best bet. Oppo if you want Dolby Vision.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 06-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
The player can't play SACD or DVD-Audio discs, its not a universal player as compared to older Denon BD players such as the 3313 model. Sony's and Oppo's are best bet. Oppo if you want Dolby Vision.
Yes it's true it's not a universal player. But it is one of the best at what it's meant for, Blue-ray picture quality. You don't see very many universal disk players anymore for a number of reasons I believe. One being the innovation ultra HD. Manufactures are now trying to capitalize on this. The other big one is that raising popularity of streaming music is killing allot CD/SACD and DVD Audio culture. Audiophiles and allot of people who still love to listen to CD's and SACD's will buy a dedicated CD and SACD player, which is why there are still some really good ones out there. More than Universal disk players. Marantz used to make a really good UD player that could play blue-ray, DVD, CD, SACD and DVD-Audio. But they have since dropped it but still make very nice CD players. Cambridge Audio still makes a very good high end UD player but while it is 4K it is not Ultra HD. So allot of people who want to get that will buy one like the Panasonic or Samung.
lightsout190 is offline  
post #21 of 43 Old 06-23-2017, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
. So allot of people who want to get that will buy one like the Panasonic or Samung.
You do realize that Samsung 8500/9500 can't even play 3D BD's when making that recommendation.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #22 of 43 Old 06-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Blu-ray players are $50 on special, weigh next to nothing and have remotes that appear to have been found down the back of the couch...
Multi-format players are the last bastion of disc spinners, even then they will disappear as streaming becomes the default choice (if it's not already). Quality and selection will only improve over time - it's happening folk.

Even CD player manufacturers are struggling to find someone who can supply them with disc mechanisms - companies are simply not making them anymore and stockpiles are all but gone. It's the same store for terrestrial radio tuners...
dunnersfella is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,816
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You do realize that Samsung 8500/9500 can't even play 3D BD's when making that recommendation.
Huh?

I never tried it, as I don't have a 3D capable display, but Samsung claims otherwise for the UBD-K8500.

http://www.samsung.com/us/television...-ubd-k8500-za/

The Philips BDP7501 also claims to be able to play 3D BD. I didn't verify that one, either.
bobknavs is online now  
post #24 of 43 Old 06-24-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Huh?

I never tried it, as I don't have a 3D capable display, but Samsung claims otherwise for the UBD-K8500.

http://www.samsung.com/us/television...-ubd-k8500-za/

The Philips BDP7501 also claims to be able to play 3D BD. I didn't verify that one, either.
2017 ubd-m8500 and ubd-m9500, not the k8500.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 06-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bradford, Ontario
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes I do, however I think your missing my point.

3D is something that never really took off like they thought it would. Which is why you don't see allot of 3D blu-rays even though it's been around for so long and manufacturers have been making 3D ready TV's for a long time now. Within a couple of years you will see many more ultra HD blu-rays than you will 3D. Manufacturers know this, thus is why allot are not making 3D ready TV's anymore and putting more effort into other technology. Every piece of tech that is put into a TV or Blu-ray player cost money, and if the demand isn't there then they are going to try and save money by not including it. Lets face it, the demand for 3D isn't really there. But the demand of high picture quality and advanced streaming capabilities is. I have a 3D capable TV, 3D ready AVR and 3D blu-ray player, but I can honestly say that I have never watched anything in 3D. manly because I just haven't found any blu-rays that I like which were 3D.

SACD's and DVD-audio is another format that didn't quite take off like they thought either. Especially DVD-audio Aside from a select group of audiophiles who own SACD's the vast majority of music listeners now will listen to music via streaming. Especially now with high res Flac files available. Music purists and audiophiles who own SACD's generally are the ones who invest in really good high end 2 channel systems with good CD players and not even worry about blu-ray players.

Back to my point about blu-ray players and manufacturers. They are going to put their R&D and money into what they know is going to be in demand. 3D, SACD and DVD-video just aren't in demand right now for the majority of consumers like Ultra HD and steaming capabilities are. And for the consumers who want all of that, well I guess that's where something like the Oppo player comes in. Although for myself, I wouldn't get an Oppo. I would rather buy a good CD player (which I have) and a good blu-ray player (which I don't have).

Which takes me back to the point about Denon not making an UD player anymore. Back in the day there was a demand for it, and they along with Marantz made some really good ones. But now the money seems to be more in streaming audio for them and AVR's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You do realize that Samsung 8500/9500 can't even play 3D BD's when making that recommendation.
lightsout190 is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 06-26-2017, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 5,816
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
2017 ubd-m8500 and ubd-m9500, not the k8500.
I had no idea.

Samsung seems to have abandoned 3D for their TVs, but I'm surprised they have extended that to UHD players.
bobknavs is online now  
post #27 of 43 Old 07-23-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 2,081
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 857
I just wish Marantz/Denon would just take the Oppo 203/205 charge $100-$200 more, slap a badge on it and add copper. Nothing better than having matching components.
Would love an upgrade to the UD9004.


Blacklightning is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 11-09-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 2,563
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I just was perusing the Denon site for a universal disc player and noticed the absence of such a category, so I used their "chat" feature to talk to a rep. He confirmed that Denon no longer is making any players.

The thing is, my Denon AVR X5200 has this Denon Link connection and I thought it might be nice to hook up a Denon player that also had Denon Link. The purpose would be to compare the audio quality to that which I get from my Oppo 203 UHD Blu-ray universal disc player with CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio. Has anybody done such a comparison, and, if so, what were your impressions?

I could probably pick up a 3313 on the used market. The 3313 actually still appears on the Denon site; if you do an internet search, you get a link and you can go to the page.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II towers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T towers(Surrounds), Polk LSiM706 center, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Sony 75" 900E.
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Onkyo TX-NR809, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
mtrot is online now  
post #29 of 43 Old 07-02-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 26,429
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7646 Post(s)
Liked: 7711
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
They may have decided they've lost the fight with Oppo. Seems like that's their most direct competitor. Plus, I believe Sony has undercut them with a similar quality player.
Well with Oppo going away.......now what ?? Maybe D & M will fill the new void.......
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #30 of 43 Old 07-03-2018, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,062
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 940
There are rumors that the AVR/speaker market might get lean, too. Millennials prefer sound bars.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off