Xbox One X as a Blu-ray Player Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Flambe
  • 2 Post By Darkneo

post #1 of 30 Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Xbox One X as a Blu-ray Player Thread (No Price Talk)

Who else plans on buying one of these for 4k playback when they come out? I for one will be picking one of these up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 260
It's called the Xbox One X now, BTW.

I'm holding out hope that Microsoft will add Dolby Vision capabilities to the XB1S, although they haven't even mentioned it for XB1X (yet).

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #3 of 30 Old 06-20-2017, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
Nope, not interested.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I will buy an Xbox One X, but not specifically for UHD Blu-ray playback. I do already have a One S. I'll get the X for better looking games.

I just recently learned that Dolby Vision can be done in software. So, I'm hoping the One S or X will have DV added.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#21a0cf6e4664
post #5 of 30 Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by elio View Post
Who else plans on buying one of these for 4k playback when they come out? I for one will be picking one of these up.
YES YES YES! Absolutely yes! Please take my money now!
Oh wait . . . they still not taking preorders yet.
Meanwhile . . . back at the Xavior Fortress of Justice . . . I've begun a meager but hopeful starting library of UHD Blu-ray movies: The Shallows, Deadpool, Passengers, Ghostbusters, Hacksaw Ridge, and The Martian.

Side note: I sold my PS4 few months before the PS4 Pro (expecting it to come with an UHD Blu-ray player), boy, did I call that one wrong.
Of course, when it came out, the PS4 Pro did not come with an UHD player.
So now I'm without a PS4 and just waiting for the XB1X instead.
Until then, my other systems keep me in the game.

Oh well, maybe I'll get another Sony system when the PS5 comes out.

3 Hometheaters
Samsung 65" UHDTV (UN65KS8000)
Marantz SR5012 & KEF R Series Speakers
6 HDTV's. Desktop PC, XB360, XB1X & XB1
100+ Games. XBox Live GT: NetGod

Last edited by NetGod; 07-17-2017 at 06:03 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 10-26-2017, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post
YES YES YES! Absolutely yes! Please take my money now!
Oh wait . . . they still not taking preorders yet.
Meanwhile . . . back at the Xavior Fortress of Justice . . . I've begun a meager but hopeful starting library of UHD Blu-ray movies: The Shallows, Deadpool, Passengers, Ghostbusters, Hacksaw Ridge, and The Martian.

Side note: I sold my PS4 few months before the PS4 Pro (expecting it to come with an UHD Blu-ray player), boy, did I call that one wrong.
Of course, when it came out, the PS4 Pro did not come with an UHD player.
So now I'm without a PS4 and just waiting for the XB1X instead.
Until then, my other systems keep me in the game.

Oh well, maybe I'll get another Sony system when the PS5 comes out.

Maybe Sony will get it right this time with the PS5
post #7 of 30 Old 11-23-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
i considered the new xbox for 4k uhd:

1 remote control experience will be so-so.
2 integration with control4 does not exist as far as we know.
3 gaming on my projector is a doubtful experience (i haven't enjoyed that in the past)
4 you have to actually like specific games on xbox vs ps4.
5 does xbox have all the media streaming platforms I care about? No... so i still need yet another device.
6. have they worked out all the bugs in their blu-ray playback that so many of the manufacturers seem to be having.

What I might want:
1. PS5 with everything above in it already. That would be a winner.
2. A streaming device with bluray uhd quality movies AND audio would be nice.

I find that many different devices and streaming options out there have nice things going for them and IF I could get the best of all of those in ONE box it would be awesome. At this point it isn't the technology that is lagging so much as the implementation.

Quite frankly I am getting so tired of messing with my blu-ray player issues and integration silliness that I have been leaning toward just using my Apple TV even if there are some visual (bandwidth) and sonic (atmos) imperfections. Moving from the previous apple TV to the Apple TV 4K and changing from a 2k to a 4k projector was such a major improvement, that at some level I am just "splitting hairs" as some of us AVSnerds like to do.

Just get me an apple TV 4K with Dolby True HD Atmos and I am seriously good to go... I won't bother buying another disc again. In fact, for most of the new movies it really would make more sense to do streaming rentals as much more cost effective strategy. Buying blu-ray UHD is not particularly justified at the prices they are charging for most movies.

I would say the XBOX is a gaming device first and it is convenient to be able to play a movie in it too...

Blazar!
post #8 of 30 Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
i considered the new xbox for 4k uhd:

2 integration with control4 does not exist as far as we know.
3 gaming on my projector is a doubtful experience (i haven't enjoyed that in the past)
4 you have to actually like specific games on xbox vs ps4.
5 does xbox have all the media streaming platforms I care about? No... so i still need yet another device.
6. have they worked out all the bugs in their blu-ray playback that so many of the manufacturers seem to be having.

What I might want:
1. PS5 with everything above in it already. That would be a winner.
2. A streaming device with bluray uhd quality movies AND audio would be nice.

I find that many different devices and streaming options out there have nice things going for them and IF I could get the best of all of those in ONE box it would be awesome. At this point it isn't the technology that is lagging so much as the implementation.

Quite frankly I am getting so tired of messing with my blu-ray player issues and integration silliness that I have been leaning toward just using my Apple TV even if there are some visual (bandwidth) and sonic (atmos) imperfections. Moving from the previous apple TV to the Apple TV 4K and changing from a 2k to a 4k projector was such a major improvement, that at some level I am just "splitting hairs" as some of us AVSnerds like to do.

Just get me an apple TV 4K with Dolby True HD Atmos and I am seriously good to go... I won't bother buying another disc again. In fact, for most of the new movies it really would make more sense to do streaming rentals as much more cost effective strategy. Buying blu-ray UHD is not particularly justified at the prices they are charging for most movies.

I would say the XBOX is a gaming device first and it is convenient to be able to play a movie in it too...
Now that it's been out a while, are there any new thoughts on the X? How good of a job it does as a player, limitations, etc?

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
post #9 of 30 Old 03-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
Now that it's been out a while, are there any new thoughts on the X? How good of a job it does as a player, limitations, etc?
--I bought the Xbox media remote for under $20, any Harmony would work as well.

--I doubt this would change.

--It doesn't? It seems to have most of what I need (nothing compares to Roku though) Kodi was also recently added.

--The inaccurate RGB color issue for UHD discs was supposedly fixed in the last build. Still waiting on confirmation...

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #10 of 30 Old 03-08-2018, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
I pretty much have settled on appletv 4k and oppo blu-ray for now.

If the xbox or any other gaming console had a WORKING HDMI IN (as opposed to the hdmi input on the oppo which sucks), I would consider it.

Right now my AVR does not do hdmi 2.0 until the new board comes out for it so I am using a HDFURY VERTEX for video switching for my projector.

Blazar!
post #11 of 30 Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
I’m having loss of audio when I pause media - there is no sound when I restart play. I’m bitstreaming to a NAD 758 v3 avr. I have to restart my avr and restart the film to regain sound. Anyone else have this issue?
post #12 of 30 Old 03-25-2018, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I’m having loss of audio when I pause media - there is no sound when I restart play. I’m bitstreaming to a NAD 758 v3 avr. I have to restart my avr and restart the film to regain sound. Anyone else have this issue?
I do not have this issue using a Denon X4300h Rx and HDMI connections.
post #13 of 30 Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 262
In general I found the XBox One X a great blu-ray player. It's a satisfactory UHD/4k Blu-ray player only because they don't support Dolby Vision. I've had absolutely no audio or video problems with the XOX.

I used to run my DVR through the XOX's HDMI In and had no problems with that either, until I cut the cord and switched to a streaming TV provider (which the XOX supports!).

I went and got a Philips 4k player only to discover it has a problem with 3D movies!

So now I use the Philips player for UHD discs (for that sweet, sweet DV!) and the XBox One X for 3D titles. Overall if the XOX had supported DV I wouldn't have bothered with anything else, especially after they added Dolby Atmos support.

My system:
LG 65UH8500 (which supports DV, HLG, etc.)
Philips BDP7502 (for 4k DV titles)
XBox One X (for everything else)
Pioneer SC-LX701 (7.1.2)
post #14 of 30 Old 04-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
In general I found the XBox One X a great blu-ray player. It's a satisfactory UHD/4k Blu-ray player only because they don't support Dolby Vision. I've had absolutely no audio or video problems with the XOX.

I used to run my DVR through the XOX's HDMI In and had no problems with that either, until I cut the cord and switched to a streaming TV provider (which the XOX supports!).

I went and got a Philips 4k player only to discover it has a problem with 3D movies!

So now I use the Philips player for UHD discs (for that sweet, sweet DV!) and the XBox One X for 3D titles. Overall if the XOX had supported DV I wouldn't have bothered with anything else, especially after they added Dolby Atmos support.

My system:
LG 65UH8500 (which supports DV, HLG, etc.)
Philips BDP7502 (for 4k DV titles)
XBox One X (for everything else)
Pioneer SC-LX701 (7.1.2)
So for non DV titles do you prefer your Philips or the X? I won't ever be doing DV, my TV can't support it (Sony 900E). I do have Atmos speakers, and I know my current Xbox One supports them without issue.
post #15 of 30 Old 04-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So for non DV titles do you prefer your Philips or the X? I won't ever be doing DV, my TV can't support it (Sony 900E). I do have Atmos speakers, and I know my current Xbox One supports them without issue.
I already had the X, so it was a sunk cost for me, but if it weren't for wanting DV I wouldn't have looked at anything else. The X is a great 4k & 3D blu-ray player otherwise. So to answer your question, for non-DV discs, I prefer the X.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Ok so... this is cool. The Xbox One X and S are both getting Dolby Vision support! It's in testing right now.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/07/...system-update/

This means the X is now my go-to, preferred player for all 4k/UHD media!
mttpalmer likes this.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Ok so... this is cool. The Xbox One X and S are both getting Dolby Vision support! It's in testing right now.

So far DV is only for streaming.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-X View Post
So far DV is only for streaming.
*sigh*
post #19 of 30 Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
*sigh*
It's a positive step though, you can see the posts on the One S blu ray player thread, it seems they are rolling it out by steps and is being tested for discs internally only so far, no guarantee it gets brought to discs though.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Support for Dolby Vision UHD Blu-rays coming in the fall.
Flambe and mttpalmer like this.
post #21 of 30 Old 09-09-2018, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I4l

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X950G (2019) w/ Yamaha RX-677 w/ 3.1
Xbox One X
Apple TV 4K
YouTube TV
Sony XBR-43X830C (2015) w/ Xbox One S, LG 60PM6700 (2012)
post #22 of 30 Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Had major audio delay issues after replacing my receiver and speakers with a Sonos system. I think it's possibly because the XBox has issues when converting DTS to Dolby.
post #23 of 30 Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Love the One X as a streamer and gaming device, but that Bluray app is complete trash!

I can’t tell you how frustrating that craptacular app is. Took me an average of ~10 mins to get a movie started. Sometimes no sound, sometimes no Atmos, sometimes a black screen of nothing, sometimes audio sync issues, etc. It worked a bit better for 4k discs than standard 1080p, but that’s not saying much. No Dolby Vision was the final nail in the coffin.

I recently upgraded to a Panasonic UB820 and couldn’t be happier.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #24 of 30 Old 09-30-2018, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Xbox One X Blu-Ray Player?

Anyone know the quality, specifically the audio output, of the Xbox One X 4K Blu-Ray Player? Do I need a separate 4K Blu-Ray Player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 30 Old 11-17-2018, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Considering this route with BF coming up. Any change in your experience? Def want as gaming box and figure double duty with my new OLED is just gravy.

Can’t see any point in separate box.
post #26 of 30 Old 11-17-2018, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post
Considering this route with BF coming up. Any change in your experience? Def want as gaming box and figure double duty with my new OLED is just gravy.

Can’t see any point in separate box.
Unfortunately, the DV support on the Xbox is limited - for now it's only for streaming services, and although they're saying that it will come to discs, too, it will only be for a select set of TVs. My 2-year old LG TV isn't on the list. So I will be keeping a 2nd, DV-compatible UHD player around, as well as my Xbox One X. I'd love to simplify my setup, but apparently the Xbox simply isn't going to work as a DV player after all :/
post #27 of 30 Old 11-27-2018, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any indication when the update for DV playback via Blu-Ray Disc will come out?
post #28 of 30 Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoejunk View Post
Any indication when the update for DV playback via Blu-Ray Disc will come out?
I don't believe Microsoft ever said there would be such an update. I'm hopeful, but they'd also need to make it work with my 2016 OLED; outlook is not rosy...

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #29 of 30 Old 09-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Test for HDR and Problem with XB1X

Hello,

I just got a Sony A1E 77" OLED TV.

I am looking for a good way to test if an HDR signal is displaying properly (so that i can better tell what it's supposed to look like; I guess an HDR calibration source with an on/off is what I want.) I am also looking for an Ultra HD blu ray that people would consider "grain free" (I have Dark Knight and Blade Runner 2049 in my collection). I suspect that a Pixar or other CG movie might be best as it would cut analog conversions out of the picture without doubt.

So my full story is, I only have a Xbox One X for playing HDR content (other than the built in apps).

I got the Xbox One X to recognize the HDTV as fully 4K HDR compatible. It is set for YCC 4:2:2 output at 24 bits per pixel ("8-bit") and standard color space (as opposed to an RGB option) with a high speed 18gbps hdmi cable going directly to the TV.

When I play games on the Xbox, the TV menu says that it is detecting an HDR signal (I have the TV set to "auto" for HDR signal detection).

When I use the Xbox One X to play blu-rays, the picture menu does not detect an HDR signal. I can manually set the TV to HDR 10, but the colors look very over-saturated (skin looks orange) and I suspect something is wrong. I have tried manually changing the picture "mode" from "game" to "cinema pro" and restarting the blu-ray app.

There are no settings for the blu-ray player regarding HDR on or off.

So my bonus question is: does anyone have any similar setups and any advice?

Thank you!
post #30 of 30 Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Can xbox one s/x video output be locked to 4k 24fps?

Hello,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Epson 5040ub. One constraint the projector has is only being able to do 4k hdr at 24 fps. Occasionally I like to stream Netflix and Amazon to watch movies and want to be able to stream 4k hdr. By default, I believe Amazon and Netflix streams 4k hdr at 60 fps, which would cause problems for the 5040. However, if I understand correctly, as long as the player (in this case the xbox) can be capped at 4k 24fps it shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Am I understanding this right? Bonus points if you know if the chromecast ultra can do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page