AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Panasonic DMP-UB200 Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2911988-panasonic-dmp-ub200-thread-no-price-talk.html)

PaulGo 08-14-2017 09:24 AM

Panasonic DMP-UB200 Thread (No Price Talk)

NEW! Ultra HD Native 4K Blu-ray Player, 4K upscaling, Wi-Fi, High-Resolution Audio, Stream-in 4K from Netflix, YouTube and Amazon - DMP-UB200

Details http://shop.panasonic.com/audio-and-...DMP-UB200.html

DMP-UB200
Features
  • Experience 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray playback and upscale standard Blu-ray discs to the natural textures and depth of 4K with 4K Direct Chroma Upscaling technology
*For 4K upscaling playback, a TV with the same resolution is required.
  • Bring cinema-quality viewing into the home with a HCX (Hollywood Cinema Experience) processor for movies the way the directors envisioned them
  • Access a wider variety of 4K video on demand streaming content with pre-installed 4K apps for 4K Netflix, 4K YouTube and 4K Amazon
  • Connect to your home audio system for studio master quality playback from a variety of music formats and files*
*The DMP-UB200 is designed for high-resolution audio reproduction. In addition to the conventional WAV/FLAC
/MP3/AAC/WMA formats, DSD (5.6 MHz/2.8 MHz) and ALAC music files can be reproduced.
  • Includes built-in Wi-Fi for home networking and streaming convenience
http://i1.adis.ws/i/pcec/DMP-UB200_A...Image-Desktop$

PaulGo 08-14-2017 09:29 AM

BuGsArEtAsTy 08-15-2017 05:25 AM

Hmmm... Bare bones. Does it get the SDR slider? The Philips BDP7501 (which is effectively a rebadged Panasonic) did not, so I returned it and got a Panasonic DMP-UB400.

Also, still no sign of the UB400 in the US.

BuGsArEtAsTy 08-15-2017 06:07 AM

I just spent the last 10 minutes looking at a bunch of Panasonic websites all over the world, including North and South America, Asia, Europe, Oceania, and Africa.

I can't find the UB200 listed anywhere, except in the US. Everywhere else, the entry level is either the UB300 or else the UB400.

Here is the summary of the various models at HDTVtest:

DMP-UB300: HCX processor, 1 HDMI output, no Wifi, no optical out
DMP-UB310: Adds Wifi
DMP-UB400: Adds 2 HDMI outputs for split audio/video, and High Clarity Sound Premium with optical out
DMP-UB700: Adds 4K High Precision Chroma processor, Ultra HD Premium certification, and front-loading SD card slot
DMP-UB900: Adds THX certification, 7.1 analogue audio output, classy backlit remote and isolation feet.

Each of these Panasonic 4K Blu-ray players will support 3D Blu-ray playback and 4K streaming though not Dolby Vision. Perhaps the most interesting new features on the Panasonic UB400, UB310 and UB300 are optimised HDR-to-SDR conversion and bright-room HDR presentation. With the former advancement, the Japanese brand aims to extract the extra detail found on Ultra HD Blu-ray discs, and provide a user-adjustable tone-mapping function to display them on an SDR TV with a final picture that surpasses 1080p Blu-rays in brightness and beauty.

Front picture of UB300:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/news/ub300.jpg

Rear picture of UB300:

http://ksassets.timeincuk.net/wp/upl...ar-panel-3.jpg

It seems the US's UB200 is very similar to Europe's UB310. Low end model, but with added WiFi. I just hope the US model has the HDR to SDR conversion adjustment slider.

BTW, the US UB200 is MSRP US$250, but the Canada UB400 is MSRP CAD$400, which at current exchange rates is around US$314.

PaulGo 08-15-2017 06:58 AM

Based upon the specs I don't see the ability to play 3D discs listed.

BuGsArEtAsTy 08-15-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGo (Post 54636256)

Ah, that’s the difference then. The UB300 and above can do 3D.

So it sounds like the UB200 is basically the UB310, but without 3D support.

PaulGo 08-23-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulGo (Post 54636256)

Panasonic has the complete specs now listed on their website and it now shows the ability to play 3D discs.

• PLAYABLE DISCS
    • BD-ROM
    • Ultra HD Blu-ray/ FULL HD 3D/ BD-Video yes
    • BD-RE/ BD-RE DL (Ver.3)
    • JPEG/ MPO N/A
    • BDAV/ AVCHD/ AVCHD 3D/JPEG/ MPO yes
    • BD-R/ BD-R DL (Ver.2)
    • Xvid/ MKV N/A
    • BDAV/ AVCHD/ AVCHD 3D/ MKV yes
    • DVD
    • DVD-Video yes
    • DVD-R*1/ DVD-R DL*1/ DVD-RW*1
    • DVD-Video/ DVD Video Recording yes
    • AVCHD/ Xvid/ MKV N/A
    • AVCHD/ MKV yes/ yes*1(*DVD-R/ DVD-R DL)
    • FLAC/ WAV/ ALAC/ DSD/ WMA/ AAC/ MP3 yes (DVD-R/ DVD-R DL)
    • JPEG/ MPO yes (DVD-R/ DVD-R DL)
    • +R*1/ +R DL*1/ +RW*1
    • Video/ AVCHD yes*1
    • CD, CD-R/ -RW
    • CD-DA N/A
    • CD-DA/ DTS-CD yes
    • Xvid/ MKV N/A
    • MKV yes (CD-R/ -RW)
    • FLAC/ WAV/ ALAC/ WMA/ AAC/ MP3 yes (CD-R/ -RW)
    • JPEG/ MPO yes (CD-R/ -RW)

http://shop.panasonic.com/audio-and-...MP-UB200.html#

BuGsArEtAsTy 08-31-2017 10:53 AM

So, how is this any different from the UB310 then? The UB200 has WiFi, something even the UB300 doesn't have.

steevo123 08-31-2017 11:39 AM

OK. So I have the UB 200. Bought it online from Panasonic a week ago. Shipped 2 days later. got it yesterday. A few thoughts.

I had bought the UB900 some months ago but even though the PQ was fantastic - its networked file playback was frustrating (inability to play hi def audio on files, etc) - I could not justify the price for the machine. I saw that the UB400 was available in Canada for around 370 usd and was considering that when the 200 was announced.

Frankly Im pretty impressed. The same amazing PQ of the 900 - the great chroma and upsampling - all the video bells and whistles of the 900. The interface feels faster than the 900. Yes the build quality isnt the same but aside from that - and lacking an additional hdmi out - this is a major deal for the price.

Will post more specific thoughts when I get the time.

BuGsArEtAsTy 09-01-2017 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steevo123 (Post 54723430)
OK. So I have the UB 200. Bought it online from Panasonic a week ago. Shipped 2 days later. got it yesterday. A few thoughts.

I had bought the UB900 some months ago but even though the PQ was fantastic - its networked file playback was frustrating (inability to play hi def audio on files, etc) - I could not justify the price for the machine. I saw that the UB400 was available in Canada for around 370 usd and was considering that when the 200 was announced.

Frankly Im pretty impressed. The same amazing PQ of the 900 - the great chroma and upsampling - all the video bells and whistles of the 900. The interface feels faster than the 900. Yes the build quality isnt the same but aside from that - and lacking an additional hdmi out - this is a major deal for the price.

Nice to hear the UB200 follows the same trend as the UB400 and UB300, which is top tier quality at a reasonable price. In fact, given these Panasonics test like the UB900, that would mean they are likely objectively superior to the much higher priced Oppo player.

steevo123 09-01-2017 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy (Post 54727148)
Nice to hear the UB200 follows the same trend as the UB400 and UB300, which is top tier quality at a reasonable price. In fact, given these Panasonics test like the UB900, that would mean they are likely objectively superior to the much higher priced Oppo player.

Well to be fair the Oppo has Dolby Vision and better file support, BUT the Panny outclasses every other UHD player in terms of PQ. Especially at this price.

Legairre 09-01-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steevo123 (Post 54723430)

Does the 200 also have the SDR slider like the 900?

steevo123 09-01-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legairre (Post 54728652)
Does the 200 also have the SDR slider like the 900?

I believe so. Not certain, as I have it pass HDR to my projector. And it does have the HDR brightness slider. I believe it has exactly the same video capabilities as the 900.

Legairre 09-01-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steevo123 (Post 54728714)
I believe so. Not certain, as I have it pass HDR to my projector. And it does have the HDR brightness slider. I believe it has exactly the same video capabilities as the 900.

Thank. I've been trying to find the UB200 manual online, but Panasonic doesn't have it on their site yet. If you get a chance the next time you fire up your UB200 can you see if their is a setting called "Dynamic Range Adjustment"?

Thanks
Legairre

steevo123 09-01-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legairre (Post 54729282)
Thank. I've been trying to find the UB200 manual online, but Panasonic doesn't have it on their site yet. If you get a chance the next time you fire up your UB200 can you see if their is a setting called "Dynamic Range Adjustment"?

Thanks
Legairre

yes it does. thats what i was referring to as the hdr brightness slider

Legairre 09-02-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steevo123 (Post 54732020)
yes it does. thats what i was referring to as the hdr brightness slider

Hey thanks steevo I really appreciate it. Sounds like the 200 is a darn good player.

Hawks07 09-15-2017 09:53 AM

Is there anymore feedback on this player? Sounds like a nice player for a great price. I am looking at upgrading my Philips to the Panasonic 900 especially for the tone mapping HDR to SDR, but if this player can perform essentially the same it would be great.

jlanzy 09-15-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawks07 (Post 54803630)
Is there anymore feedback on this player? Sounds like a nice player for a great price. I am looking at upgrading my Philips to the Panasonic 900 especially for the tone mapping HDR to SDR, but if this player can perform essentially the same it would be great.

Has anyone seen a professional review of this unit yet? Video quality is my main interest and if it indeed matches the 900 in that category, I'm in.

irishluck73 09-17-2017 05:17 PM

I too am looking at the 900 and saw this thread... Lots to ponder.

@[email protected] 09-20-2017 03:14 PM

I ordered one today.

It went from "in stock" to "back-ordered" by the time I finished Paypal....it figures.

Anyway, it should ship sometime next week. Going to try a comparison w/ my existing Samsung 8500 viewed on my P65-C1. I think I have 2 copies of a UHD disc, not sure which one LOL. Might pick up a second copy of Wild Africa/ Tiny Giants for demo purposes. Should prove interesting.

joy192k 09-26-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @[email protected] (Post 54831656)
I ordered one today.

It went from "in stock" to "back-ordered" by the time I finished Paypal....it figures.

Anyway, it should ship sometime next week. Going to try a comparison w/ my existing Samsung 8500 viewed on my P65-C1. I think I have 2 copies of a UHD disc, not sure which one LOL. Might pick up a second copy of Wild Africa/ Tiny Giants for demo purposes. Should prove interesting.

Hope you got the delivery, What is your impression on the UB200, how does it stack against UB900?

@[email protected] 09-27-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joy192k (Post 54864412)
Hope you got the delivery, What is your impression on the UB200, how does it stack against UB900?

It is on the way now. Will report back this evening.

I don't have a 900, I have a Samsung 8500.

@[email protected] 09-27-2017 01:55 PM

First impressions are quite positive. I bought this player purely as a disc player, I have streaming gadgets coming out the ying yang so I could basically care less about that aspect of the player.

First off, PQ is as advertised. Best 4k & blu ray playback I've seen. There is a sharpness and clarity to the image that easily surpasses the Samsung 8500. Detail in Planet Earth II is amazing. HDR specular highlights seem much brighter, watching the fight scene in BvS, the explosions, fire balls and especially the lightning on the rooftop had me squinting at times. Checked the start of Blade Runner 4K for the opening soundtrack in Atmos....there is a definite level of audio improvement as well....broader, airier soundstage with a slight increase in fidelity. Discs were quiet in tray & booted up fast. Typical clunky Panasonic web interface with the 9 dumb squares. Does not support hi rez movie audio streamed over home network. Netflix HDR = yes. You Tube HDR= no. DV out of box= no & probably won't happen....don't care. I don't have a DV ready AVR & I hate the split A/V outputs, so DV is for casting only (which is fine) . Haven't check Amazon yet. Has some excellent video adjustments including 4 levels of sharpness adjustment, which, tweaked just a bit, improves image a little more. I don't know if it was because of the 8500 but I found the blacks to be ever so slightly elevated for my tastes in HDR so I dropped the HDR slider down one notch and the blacks are nice & inky without crush & maintaining the specular highlights. All viewing done on a Vizio P65.

If you're looking for a disc player that concentrates on pure audio/ video quality at a reasonable cost, IMHO you could do a lot worse than the UB200. Outstanding value @ $249. My only complaint was Panasonic shipped it without a shipping box...it landed on my doorstep in just the product box. Really Panasonic?

@[email protected] 09-27-2017 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotta love a comprehensive geek info screen.

joy192k 09-28-2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @[email protected] (Post 54868636)
First impressions are quite positive. I bought this player purely as a disc player, I have streaming gadgets coming out the ying yang so I could basically care less about that aspect of the player.

First off, PQ is as advertised. Best 4k & blu ray playback I've seen. There is a sharpness and clarity to the image that easily surpasses the Samsung 8500. Detail in Planet Earth II is amazing. HDR specular highlights seem much brighter, watching the fight scene in BvS, the explosions, fire balls and especially the lightning on the rooftop had me squinting at times. Checked the start of Blade Runner 4K for the opening soundtrack in Atmos....there is a definite level of audio improvement as well....broader, airier soundstage with a slight increase in fidelity. Discs were quiet in tray & booted up fast. Typical clunky Panasonic web interface with the 9 dumb squares. Does not support hi rez movie audio streamed over home network. Netflix HDR = yes. You Tube HDR= no. DV out of box= no & probably won't happen....don't care. I don't have a DV ready AVR & I hate the split A/V outputs, so DV is for casting only (which is fine) . Haven't check Amazon yet. Has some excellent video adjustments including 4 levels of sharpness adjustment, which, tweaked just a bit, improves image a little more. I don't know if it was because of the 8500 but I found the blacks to be ever so slightly elevated for my tastes in HDR so I dropped the HDR slider down one notch and the blacks are nice & inky without crush & maintaining the specular highlights. All viewing done on a Vizio P65.

If you're looking for a disc player that concentrates on pure audio/ video quality at a reasonable cost, IMHO you could do a lot worse than the UB200. Outstanding value @ $249. My only complaint was Panasonic shipped it without a shipping box...it landed on my doorstep in just the product box. Really Panasonic?

Thank you for sharing your first impression, please let us know whenever you get time to test the Amazon App.

So do you like the HDR from the player? Just confirming if the HDR slider allows you to increase the brightness since I will pairing this with a JVC PJ..

/VJ

irishluck73 09-29-2017 10:07 AM

Price wise this competes with the Sony UBP-X800 which I just ordered from Costco.

I'd like to know if anyone's compared PQ and sound between the two?

If not I may end up ordering the Panasonic and running a comparison between them.

jlanzy 10-03-2017 06:37 PM

It seems surprising that UB200 hasn't got more interest than this thread indicates. Considering how many accolades its big brother , UB900, gets and would seem to perform video wise the same. At this price point, it would seem to be the UHD player of choice especially for projector owners since DV is still not implemented in projectors and no definite time when / if it will. Perhaps the more expensive players are better for music also, and for those that use the player for video as well as music I guess would explain some of the lack of interest.

irishluck73 10-04-2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlanzy (Post 54899428)
Perhaps the more expensive players are better for music also, and for those that use the player for video as well as music I guess would explain some of the lack of interest.

The Panasonic site shows "High Res Audio" and I would think the 200 would be much more popular given the video capabilities and the price. I think I'll order one to compare it to the Sony UBP-X80 I purchased from Costco last week.

jlanzy 10-04-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishluck73 (Post 54900776)
The Panasonic site shows "High Res Audio" and I would think the 200 would be much more popular given the video capabilities and the price. I think I'll order one to compare it to the Sony UBP-X80 I purchased from Costco last week.

I have the Oppo 103, now and love it with my projector, but getting 4K pj early December and was going for the Oppo 203, but it seems to have so many glitches, especially with projectors that I haven't heard with the Panasonic 900, and since my interest is only video the new Panasonic 200 with supposedly same video sans the Edge Adaptive Chroma Processing which would be interesting to hear what if any effects it has or lacks when watching real world material.

Latinoheat 10-07-2017 09:44 AM

This player has caught my attention aswell. I have been thinking of upgrading the Samsung 4K player to the Sony but than I saw this one, in one of the ads on my local Audio & Video store. The price is right and I have been a big fan of Panasonic also. If the picture is better than the Samsung which by the sound of it , it is , I think I will also jump in and get one. Will wait for more owner review comparisons.