MKV + PGS Subtitle support on OPPO players - Now Working! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cipher

Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 20
MKV + PGS Subtitle support on OPPO players - Now Working!

I haven’t seen this mentioned before, and it’s not listed on the firmware release notes, but the following is now supported:

PGS subtitles within MKV files played via DLNA servers (83-1226 firmware)

I only got around to upgrading my OPPO players this past weekend to the latest 83-1226 firmware release. Surprisingly, even though it's not mentioned in the related firmware notes, I can now play PGS based subtitles from all my MKV files when using Plex. This is the first time this has ever worked for me. In the past, I had to use SMB instead of DLNA or download separate text based .SRT files to get PGS subtitles to work with MKV files.

I had previously posted here, my findings when using numerous DLNA servers to test this issue. The only DLNA server that had worked was MiniDLNA whereas Plex, JRiver, Serviio and Onshare would not work with PGS subs.

To be clear, I've only verified this fix on the BDP-103D player using Plex Server. That said, I expect the same functionality to exist on the BDP-103, BDP-105, BDP-105D players. Also, I'm hoping the same is true for the new BDP-203 player as I'm planning on picking one up soon. On the DLNA side, I'm expecting it to work across the other DLNA servers now that Plex is working.

If anyone has noticed this, or could add their findings with the other OPPO models or DLNA servers, we may finally be able to cross this one of the wish list for good.

Another great job by OPPO in adding/fixing an issue long after the product was released. The funny thing is I had a support case open with them back in Jan of this year and it had ended with them saying "It is likely that both of these players will receive firmware upgrades to resolve this issue, but at this time we do not know when we will address this problem through firmware for our previous and current line of players." Fast forward a week later and they release the 83-1226 firmware file which contains this fix!
zizikos likes this.

Last edited by Cipher; 08-14-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement