NEW Cambridge CXUHD 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray Player (Owner's Thread) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #421 of 542 Old 04-19-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahul View Post
Yes - its has the latest firmware

Attachment 2555592

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would contact Cambridge Audio as they can probably figure out what's going on. The only other thing I can think of is it has trouble passing through actual LPCM and maybe it can be fixed via firmware. I'm not at home but I think I have some blurays that have LPCM tracks that I can test after the weekend.

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 542 Old 04-22-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Just received my CXUHD today. I'm keeping in in the sealed box until the new firmware is released and I get confirmation that it's at the same level as the Oppo's however.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #423 of 542 Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
@Marc Alexander - thanks for posting this. So if my pre/pro can't decode Dolby Atmos, and I'll use the CXUHD's HDMI input to connect my ATV4k, will it pass true bitstream lossless audio then (Dolby True-HD, DTS Master Audio) if the ATV4k has a native Dolby Atmos sound playing? I don't care for Dolby Atmos at the moment, just to increase the 'standard' Dolby Digital 5.1 sound that I currently get from my optical cable (and that is compressed by design).
I believe Oppo had to fix the issue with the ATV Atmos with a firmware that the CXUHD likely doesn't have, at least not yet. Here is an excerpt I found in the 203 thread:

The latest firmware is removing the "Atmos" support flag from the Dolby MAT descriptor in the input's EDID. This still allows TrueHD (also in the MAT container format), including "stealth" Atmos metadata, to pass through the Oppo as "TrueHD 7.1" audio.

But an AppleTV or XBox will no longer send MAT PCM Atmos, which is not supported by the path through the Oppo, and fall back to multi-channel (7.1) PCM audio.

So I believe you either have to change the format to 5.1 on the ATV or you will get no sound.[/QUOTE]

You may be onto to something here: I have the ATV4k plugged straight into Sony TV, and then S/PDIF optical from TV to my legacy AVR. Setting up the 'best audio' on the ATV4k only sends stereo signal, so I changed the audio to 5.1 instead...and I get Dolby Digital (still compressed audio).

Too bad I'm not home to test this out: download Infuse on ATV4k then I'll be able to (hopefully) send lossless HD audio to CXUHD's HDMI input port while streaming anything via Netflix or Amazon Prime. In essence, then the CXUHD will act as an HDMI lossless audio extractor (which incidentally I've been searching to include in my system). I watch way more streaming media vs. playing any physical BluRay/4k discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 542 Old 04-23-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Just received my CXUHD today. I'm keeping in in the sealed box until the new firmware is released and I get confirmation that it's at the same level as the Oppo's however.
Great move @StevenC56 , if I recall, you just snagged one of last units when CA suddenly had them for sale last week! The CXUHD should give a more exemplar image than the Panny 820, and with the imminent FW upgrade, you (and all of us) should be rocking!

Did you trade your old CXUHD for a Panny 820, or you already had the Panny?
post #425 of 542 Old 04-23-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
You may be onto to something here: I have the ATV4k plugged straight into Sony TV, and then S/PDIF optical from TV to my legacy AVR. Setting up the 'best audio' on the ATV4k only sends stereo signal, so I changed the audio to 5.1 instead...and I get Dolby Digital (still compressed audio).

Too bad I'm not home to test this out: download Infuse on ATV4k then I'll be able to (hopefully) send lossless HD audio to CXUHD's HDMI input port while streaming anything via Netflix or Amazon Prime. In essence, then the CXUHD will act as an HDMI lossless audio extractor (which incidentally I've been searching to include in my system). I watch way more streaming media vs. playing any physical BluRay/4k discs.
Are you familiar with Infuse? It has nothing to do with Netflix or other streaming apps. Its purpose is to play local media (or less commonly, media stored in the cloud).

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
post #426 of 542 Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great move @StevenC56 , if I recall, you just snagged one of last units when CA suddenly had them for sale last week! The CXUHD should give a more exemplar image than the Panny 820, and with the imminent FW upgrade, you (and all of us) should be rocking!

Did you trade your old CXUHD for a Panny 820, or you already had the Panny?
Already had the 820. Bought it from BB in December. Had quite a few players that came and went over the last couple years. Had an Oppo 203 that I tested beiefly and sold, as well as a new sealed Oppo 205 and the CXUHD.

The 820's HDR-SDR tone mapping is the hot setup for my JVC X750R projector. The tone mapping on the Oppo's and CXUHD is broken and never be fixed unfortunately. I really only need the CXUHD to perform scaling duties after it gets the 21:9 zoom modes. (I have a scope screen)

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #427 of 542 Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with Infuse? It has nothing to do with Netflix or other streaming apps. Its purpose is to play local media (or less commonly, media stored in the cloud).
Not at all, it's all wishful thinking on my part: first I've heard of Infuse was in this thread last week...I was hoping that Infuse would have been able to allow lossless signal be passed through via ATV4k Netflix/Amazon apps.

So it seems it's Apple's fault: as it has been stated, ATV4k doesn't allow any bitstream lossless/LPCM audio pass through, only the lossy Dolby digital 5.1 and DTS counterpart is being sent.

Regardless, one cannot leverage CXUHD's HDMI input in conjunction with ATV4k to have lossless audio sent to any legacy AVR, because the source itself isn't lossless - so might as well use an optical cable (TV - AVR) and still get a max lossy Dolby Digital 5.1.

Per Dr. Google, an alternative for HD audio for Netflix/Amazon streaming would be NVIDIA Shield, which apparently does send lossless HD audio...in which case the CXUHD will come in very handy as a genuine HDMI audio extractor.
post #428 of 542 Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Already had the 820. Bought it from BB in December. Had quite a few players that came and went over the last couple years. Had an Oppo 203 that I tested beiefly and sold, as well as a new sealed Oppo 205 and the CXUHD.

The 820's HDR-SDR tone mapping is the hot setup for my JVC X750R projector. The tone mapping on the Oppo's and CXUHD is broken and never be fixed unfortunately. I really only need the CXUHD to perform scaling duties after it gets the 21:9 zoom modes. (I have a scope screen)
Got it - makes sense! Then you'll have all the bases covered.

My CXUHD performs stellar with my Sony 940E setup...re-watching GOT (regular BluRay 1080p) in anticipation of series finale, looks stunning, indiscernible from a 4k disc I venture to say.
post #429 of 542 Old 04-25-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Cambridge support stated by email that they are in the final testing of the long overdue firmware release, and are very close to releasing it.
@StevenC56 : per chance, did CA mention an ETA for this long overdue FW update?
post #430 of 542 Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@StevenC56 : per chance, did CA mention an ETA for this long overdue FW update?
No they didn't and most likely won't. It will just show up one day. This is the first time they have answered my question with something other than "We are still working on the update and have no ETA". So since they are getting very close, I would venture to guess in the next 30 days we'll see the update show up.

post #431 of 542 Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
No they didn't and most likely won't. It will just show up one day. This is the first time they have answered my question with something other than "We are still working on the update and have no ETA". So since they are getting very close, I would venture to guess in the next 30 days we'll see the update show up.
Thanks, counting on it. I'll keep an eye on this forum as I don't have the CXUHD plugged into my network, so it wouldn't notify me when the update goes live. I presume it will be pushed to each unit vs. doing the manual USB download method?
post #432 of 542 Old 04-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Has there ever been any explanation why the CXUHD is so far behind in firmware compared to the Oppo? I mean this is from an actual page on their website:

Quote:
CXUHD & Oppo Digital

On April 2nd, 2018, Oppo Digital announced that they will gradually stop manufacturing new products with the eventual closure of their audio division.

The Cambridge Audio CXUHD shares its Mediatek platform with the Oppo 203; hence there may be some concern that this will adversely affect its future maintenance and support.

Firmware updates are a joint activity with Oppo and we share updates on the Mediatek platform. We both feedback to Mediatek and together we work to improve the performance and robustness of the platform.

Oppo have pledged to maintain long-term support for their products and we will continue to work with them to ensure that CXUHD customers continue to benefit from their expertise.

Our customers can rest assured that firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time when new features or bug fixes warrant such an upgrade.
https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.c...D-Oppo-Digital

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
post #433 of 542 Old 04-25-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, counting on it. I'll keep an eye on this forum as I don't have the CXUHD plugged into my network, so it wouldn't notify me when the update goes live. I presume it will be pushed to each unit vs. doing the manual USB download method?
Yes, I was previously told by Cambridge that the update would be "pushed" to units once the update was available.

post #434 of 542 Old 04-25-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Has there ever been any explanation why the CXUHD is so far behind in firmware compared to the Oppo? I mean this is from an actual page on their website:

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.c...D-Oppo-Digital
Negative, not my knowledge. However, from a particular point of view, I would rather have CA take their time and deliver a flawless FW than rush and release a firmware that fixes some things but breaks other features that used to work.
post #435 of 542 Old 04-29-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hey All,

I bought this player back in september I believe. At some point my old sony xbr-5 died and i replaced it with a 4k samsung tv. At that point my AVR was not capable of passing 4k content, so I decided to plug in my A4K into the HDMI in of the CXUHD. The CXUHD was running audio out to my receiver and video directly to the tv. I have found that this solution will cause the apple tv to freeze up IF you have netflix 4k subscription. A few minutes into browsing netflix the a4k becomes very laggy and needs a reboot. Today I bought a 4k AVR and I no longer have the issue. Hope this helps anyone trying to do the same thing. It seems to me that the hdmi in combined with apple 4k TV is a no go unless you like rebooting a lot. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have.
svpdog and Stian_Gel like this.
post #436 of 542 Old 04-29-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTom83 View Post
Hey All,

I bought this player back in september I believe. At some point my old sony xbr-5 died and i replaced it with a 4k samsung tv. At that point my AVR was not capable of passing 4k content, so I decided to plug in my A4K into the HDMI in of the CXUHD. The CXUHD was running audio out to my receiver and video directly to the tv. I have found that this solution will cause the apple tv to freeze up IF you have netflix 4k subscription. A few minutes into browsing netflix the a4k becomes very laggy and needs a reboot. Today I bought a 4k AVR and I no longer have the issue. Hope this helps anyone trying to do the same thing. It seems to me that the hdmi in combined with apple 4k TV is a no go unless you like rebooting a lot. Happy to answer any questions anyone may have.
Thanks for letting us know...pretty much got the same answer in the ATV4k forum. Neither the Oppo 203 nor the CXUHD work well with the ATV4k being plugged in...
svpdog likes this.
post #437 of 542 Old 05-06-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Send a message via Skype™ to I-SIBI
Quote:
Yes, I was previously told by Cambridge that the update would be "pushed" to units once the update was available.
I recently sold my CXUHD after an insider source told me that any further fw development on it is suspended... my source is not a call center but works with CA (and Naim... and Rega... and Marantz... ecc. ecc..) and is in the Audio / Video business since the '80s...

My two cents... there will be no further updates...

Of Course, I hope to be wrong because the CXUHD is an excellent player.

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network
post #438 of 542 Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-SIBI View Post
I recently sold my CXUHD after an insider source told me that any further fw development on it is suspended... my source is not a call center but works with CA (and Naim... and Rega... and Marantz... ecc. ecc..) and is in the Audio / Video business since the '80s...

My two cents... there will be no further updates...

Of Course, I hope to be wrong because the CXUHD is an excellent player.
How recently have you heard from your "source"? Maybe ask them why someone from CA would be telling a customer that a firmware update is imminent.

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
post #439 of 542 Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 AM

As is, the CXUHD already does everything I need from it. HDR10+ would be nice, but I'm not sure I will ever need it. I could see it being useful for resale value, however, assuming the format sticks around.

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
post #440 of 542 Old 05-06-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nicolas Chowanietz (Cambridge Audio)

May 6, 20:29 BST

Hello Steven,

Thank you for contacting Cambridge Audio.

We are in fact very close to releasing the next firmware for the CXUHD, at this point, we are just putting the final touches on the update. As soon as the firmware is completed and available it will be pushed to your unit.

Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with.

post #441 of 542 Old 05-06-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
How recently have you heard from your "source"? Maybe ask them why someone from CA would be telling a customer that a firmware update is imminent.
I talked with him on Saturday... I'm only reporting what someone thrusted told me, if he is mistaken I will be more than happy...

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network
post #442 of 542 Old 05-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-SIBI View Post
I talked with him on Saturday... I'm only reporting what someone thrusted told me, if he is mistaken I will be more than happy...
Looks like you might need a new source.

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
post #443 of 542 Old 05-07-2019, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello together

this here comes recently from a German forum:

Launch depends only from a release of Dolby Inc

*Added the HDR10+ support. A HDR10+ enabled TV is required to view content in HDR10+
*Added the Dolby Vision support on Sony TV
*Added the TV Aspect Ratio modes “21:9 Movable, 21:9 Fixed and 21:9 Cropped”
*Added the Support for slow motion playback in A-B repeat mode.
*Added the “HDMI IN BYPASS” mode for Dolby Vision passthrough via HDMI IN.
*Added three HDR to SDR modes to improve HDR to SDR conversion.
*Added the “Dolby Vision” mode under the HDR Setting menu, which allows the player to convert the output to Dolby Vision when possible.
*Updated Main screen background artwork

Should be the same features the OPPO have by now
BLMN likes this.
post #444 of 542 Old 05-07-2019, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Looks like you might need a new source.
As I told you I really hope that he is mistaken... usually he is quite rielable...

But I don't want to start a flame, I'm just sharing what è told me, if the info is not correct we are all happy. The CXUHD is a great player. Le's wait and see... peace.

post #445 of 542 Old 05-07-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0RCHW00D View Post
Hello together

*Added the HDR10+ support. A HDR10+ enabled TV is required to view content in HDR10+
*Added the “Dolby Vision” mode under the HDR Setting menu, which allows the player to convert the output to Dolby Vision when possible.

Thanks for posting that - very encouraging list of improvements! With these additions, it should really become a kick a$$ player! Not too in-tune w/ the Oppo 203 feature list, but would these features put the CXUHD on par with the 203? If so, then CA is just playing catch up and not adding any special sauce of their own.

Regardless, eagerly awaiting the official release!

Last edited by no_cure; 05-07-2019 at 08:05 AM.
post #446 of 542 Old 05-07-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know...pretty much got the same answer in the ATV4k forum. Neither the Oppo 203 nor the CXUHD work well with the ATV4k being plugged in...
To revive this topic as I'm back home for now, so I've had a chance to test the ATV4k and HDMI input on the CXUHD.

Test Case Setup:

1. ATV4k plugged into CA CXUHD HDMI In
2. HDMI 1 out goes to Sony 940E
3. HDMI 2 out goes to my pre/pro (which can do DTS Master HD or Dolby True HD max, no Atmos)

Test source: ATV Netflix app w/ sound settings set to 'best available'.

Findings:

Audio - using the Info feature on the CXUHD, sound was sent/passed through as LPCM, either 5.1 (most of the test shows I've tried) or LPCM 7.1 for Dolby Atmos shows
Video - max resolution was 4K and HDR (no Low Latency Dolby Vision for Sony TVs obviously).

Hence, for top resolution shows like Altered Carbon, best I could get using the CXUHD as an HDMI switch/audio extractor was LPCM 7.1 audio and HDR video.

All looked and sounded good, however, the Netflix menu WAS SLUGGISH though, so operating it was a little of a pain (the show previews would seriously stutter), but once the show started, all was good to go.
svpdog likes this.
post #447 of 542 Old 05-07-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Depending how you look at it both things could be true, it could be that any new firmware development is suspended. It sounds like the imminent release is out of development and in the final stages of being polished before release.
post #448 of 542 Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0RCHW00D View Post
Hello together

Anybody have a clue about the three HDR-SDR modes? Do the Oppo's already have this?

post #449 of 542 Old 05-08-2019, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Anybody have a clue about the three HDR-SDR modes? Do the Oppo's already have this?
Yes, and if you use the HDR to SDR conversion they are very useful.
post #450 of 542 Old 05-08-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
Yes, and if you use the HDR to SDR conversion they are very useful.
OK-So those must be the modes where the tone mapping is flawed on the Oppo's, correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page