Fellow AVS'ers: I need big time help for a problem I've been having for months now! I'm appealing to your wider knowledge base as I'm having major HDMI audio issues when my CXUHD player is connected to my Krell EV707 processor.
Like some of you, I'm splitting my BR/4k movies HDMI output on the CXUHD: port 1 goes to my Sony 940E for video only, port 2 goes to my EV707 for audio only. Once I bring the entire HT system up and running, I start playing a movie AND DON'T stop/pause, the HDMI signal is being sent to the pre/pro accordingly (DTS Master Audio, Dolby True HD...all play as the should given the encoded audio codec).
HOWEVER: the issue starts when I pause (or stop) the movie, switch audio sources on the EV707 to tosslink optical (the only other digital audio source to my pre/pro), and then I switch back to the HDMI port that the CXUHD is connected to, the audio signal is lost...the EV707 keeps saying "waiting for audio".
I have done EVERYTHING that I could think of to resolve this, but short of replacing both the pre/pro and UHD player, I’ve ran into a wall:
• I have changed ALL of my HDMI cables to brand new certified Ultra High Speed 18gbps cables – issue remains
• I have sent the EV707 back to Krell factory, they replaced the HDMI board out and everything tested perfectly @ their factory before sending it back (btw, they never found the problem I exhibited). The issue remains.
• I have a trouble ticket open with Cambridge Audio to further research this problem – as they’re still looking at the problem, the issue remains still
• Rebooted/factory reset both the CXUHD and EV707 repeatedly – issue remains
• I have tested the CXUHD's HDMI port #2
by plugging into an empty HDMI input from TV – performed numerous play/stop/switch inputs – and voila, the issue is resolved
in this setup as the audio came in every single time
What do you guys think the problem is? To my limited knowledge, I believe there is some EDID handshaking problems happening when the CXUHD and EV707 are in synch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EDID information always occurs at system startup, and just ONCE. Also, I think it’s always the destination (the EV707 in my case) that determines the best audio available, and not the source. At system startup, all works well, so why would that EDID/HDMI audio ‘just drop’ when I pause movie disc, change audio inputs on the pre/pro? Btw, the video always plays on the Sony TV...
Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated! I’ve basically been having this issue since day 1, back in Jan/Feb when I got the CXUHD unit.
Thanks everyone - cheerio!