NEW Cambridge CXUHD 4K Dolby Vision Blu-ray Player (Owner's Thread) - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 107Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 542 Old 05-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

OK-So those must be the modes where the tone mapping is flawed on the Oppo's, correct?
Correct.
locutus2k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 542 Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Hi,
I recently swapped out my Denon DV-5900 with the CX-UHD and a Denon AVR-3808 with a Denon AVR-X8500H. I've been trying to understand what is accomplished by running a media player into the CX-UHD's HDMI-in. I haven't really been able to find anything from Cambridge Audio that explains it. If anyone can point me to an explanation of what might be of what might be accomplished by going into the player's HDMI-in over directly into the 8500, I would be grateful.
Thank you,
Morgan.
morgiastic is offline  
post #453 of 542 Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Hi,
I recently swapped out my Denon DV-5900 with the CX-UHD and a Denon AVR-3808 with a Denon AVR-X8500H. I've been trying to understand what is accomplished by running a media player into the CX-UHD's HDMI-in. I haven't really been able to find anything from Cambridge Audio that explains it. If anyone can point me to an explanation of what might be of what might be accomplished by going into the player's HDMI-in over directly into the 8500, I would be grateful.
Thank you,
Morgan.
The only reason I know of would be to take advantage of the upscaling the CXUHD does versus your receiver or television.

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
sovereignstar is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #454 of 542 Old 05-09-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
Hi,
I recently swapped out my Denon DV-5900 with the CX-UHD and a Denon AVR-3808 with a Denon AVR-X8500H. I've been trying to understand what is accomplished by running a media player into the CX-UHD's HDMI-in. I haven't really been able to find anything from Cambridge Audio that explains it. If anyone can point me to an explanation of what might be of what might be accomplished by going into the player's HDMI-in over directly into the 8500, I would be grateful.
Thank you,
Morgan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
The only reason I know of would be to take advantage of the upscaling the CXUHD does versus your receiver or television.
And to take advantage of the CX's zoom modes which will include 21:9 specific modes with the upcoming firmware update.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is online now  
post #455 of 542 Old 05-09-2019, 02:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
And to take advantage of the CX's zoom modes which will include 21:9 specific modes with the upcoming firmware update.
OK. Thank you both for your replies.
Now I'm wondering if you might be able to tell me how to use it. I tried to hook an ASUS Vivo PC up to it, just to see what difference there might versus the receiver and couldn't figure out anyway to access the input. There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual.
Thank you,
Morgan.
morgiastic is offline  
post #456 of 542 Old 05-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
OK. Thank you both for your replies.
Now I'm wondering if you might be able to tell me how to use it. I tried to hook an ASUS Vivo PC up to it, just to see what difference there might versus the receiver and couldn't figure out anyway to access the input. There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual.
Thank you,
Morgan.
This took me a second to figure out as well. I'm not at home so I'm not able to look at the controller, but there's a button on the controller along the lines of "inputs". If you press that and switch it to the "HDMI In" input, it should show whatever is plugged into the "HDMI In" input.
Randall L. is online now  
post #457 of 542 Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgiastic View Post
OK. Thank you both for your replies.
Now I'm wondering if you might be able to tell me how to use it. I tried to hook an ASUS Vivo PC up to it, just to see what difference there might versus the receiver and couldn't figure out anyway to access the input. There doesn't seem to be anything in the manual.
Thank you,
Morgan.
Page 14 in the English Reference Owners Manual:

HDMI input selection
1. Press the Inputs button on
the remote to bring up the
"Input" source menu.
2. Use the / buttons to
choose the required digital
input from the list.
3. You can always select the
Blu-ray player to return to
home menu for disc or file
playback.








Input
1. BLU-RAY PLAYER
2. HDMI IN
3. ARC: HDMI OUT

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is online now  
post #458 of 542 Old 05-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Page 14 in the English Reference Owners Manual:

HDMI input selection
1. Press the Inputs button on
the remote to bring up the
"Input" source menu.
2. Use the / buttons to
choose the required digital
input from the list.
3. You can always select the
Blu-ray player to return to
home menu for disc or file
playback.








Input
1. BLU-RAY PLAYER
2. HDMI IN
3. ARC: HDMI OUT
Thanks again guys. Thought armed with that bit of information I thought I might be able to find something in the manual, but I don't think what it said for that button would have meant anything to me. Pretty sure I had pressed that button in the past when I was more pre-occupied with other tasks. Still, clearly didn't spend enough time looking at the remote before I posted. Got it going now, anyway.
Thank again,
Morgan.
morgiastic is offline  
post #459 of 542 Old 05-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Unhappy Stressful EDID handshake issue

Fellow AVS'ers: I need big time help for a problem I've been having for months now! I'm appealing to your wider knowledge base as I'm having major HDMI audio issues when my CXUHD player is connected to my Krell EV707 processor.

Like some of you, I'm splitting my BR/4k movies HDMI output on the CXUHD: port 1 goes to my Sony 940E for video only, port 2 goes to my EV707 for audio only. Once I bring the entire HT system up and running, I start playing a movie AND DON'T stop/pause, the HDMI signal is being sent to the pre/pro accordingly (DTS Master Audio, Dolby True HD...all play as the should given the encoded audio codec).

HOWEVER: the issue starts when I pause (or stop) the movie, switch audio sources on the EV707 to tosslink optical (the only other digital audio source to my pre/pro), and then I switch back to the HDMI port that the CXUHD is connected to, the audio signal is lost...the EV707 keeps saying "waiting for audio".

I have done EVERYTHING that I could think of to resolve this, but short of replacing both the pre/pro and UHD player, I’ve ran into a wall:

• I have changed ALL of my HDMI cables to brand new certified Ultra High Speed 18gbps cables – issue remains
• I have sent the EV707 back to Krell factory, they replaced the HDMI board out and everything tested perfectly @ their factory before sending it back (btw, they never found the problem I exhibited). The issue remains.
• I have a trouble ticket open with Cambridge Audio to further research this problem – as they’re still looking at the problem, the issue remains still.
• Rebooted/factory reset both the CXUHD and EV707 repeatedly – issue remains
• I have tested the CXUHD's HDMI port #2 by plugging into an empty HDMI input from TV – performed numerous play/stop/switch inputs – and voila, the issue is resolved in this setup as the audio came in every single time

What do you guys think the problem is? To my limited knowledge, I believe there is some EDID handshaking problems happening when the CXUHD and EV707 are in synch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EDID information always occurs at system startup, and just ONCE. Also, I think it’s always the destination (the EV707 in my case) that determines the best audio available, and not the source. At system startup, all works well, so why would that EDID/HDMI audio ‘just drop’ when I pause movie disc, change audio inputs on the pre/pro? Btw, the video always plays on the Sony TV...

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated! I’ve basically been having this issue since day 1, back in Jan/Feb when I got the CXUHD unit.

Thanks everyone - cheerio!

Last edited by no_cure; 05-10-2019 at 03:19 PM.
no_cure is online now  
post #460 of 542 Old 05-11-2019, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Bump...


Can any EDID/HDMI guru chime in as to what possible HDMI signal issues I'm having between the CXUHD and EV707?
no_cure is online now  
post #461 of 542 Old 05-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Already posted this in another AVS thread...

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone...hope everyone is enjoying this blessed day!

...and no small thanks to the wives/spouses that allow us to have this HiFi hobby!!!
no_cure is online now  
post #462 of 542 Old 05-13-2019, 02:42 AM
Member
 
I-SIBI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Milan Area (Italy)
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Send a message via Skype™ to I-SIBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Fellow AVS'ers: I need big time help for a problem I've been having for months now! I'm appealing to your wider knowledge base as I'm having major HDMI audio issues when my CXUHD player is connected to my Krell EV707 processor.

Like some of you, I'm splitting my BR/4k movies HDMI output on the CXUHD: port 1 goes to my Sony 940E for video only, port 2 goes to my EV707 for audio only. Once I bring the entire HT system up and running, I start playing a movie AND DON'T stop/pause, the HDMI signal is being sent to the pre/pro accordingly (DTS Master Audio, Dolby True HD...all play as the should given the encoded audio codec).

HOWEVER: the issue starts when I pause (or stop) the movie, switch audio sources on the EV707 to tosslink optical (the only other digital audio source to my pre/pro), and then I switch back to the HDMI port that the CXUHD is connected to, the audio signal is lost...the EV707 keeps saying "waiting for audio".

I have done EVERYTHING that I could think of to resolve this, but short of replacing both the pre/pro and UHD player, I’ve ran into a wall:

• I have changed ALL of my HDMI cables to brand new certified Ultra High Speed 18gbps cables – issue remains
• I have sent the EV707 back to Krell factory, they replaced the HDMI board out and everything tested perfectly @ their factory before sending it back (btw, they never found the problem I exhibited). The issue remains.
• I have a trouble ticket open with Cambridge Audio to further research this problem – as they’re still looking at the problem, the issue remains still.
• Rebooted/factory reset both the CXUHD and EV707 repeatedly – issue remains
• I have tested the CXUHD's HDMI port #2 by plugging into an empty HDMI input from TV – performed numerous play/stop/switch inputs – and voila, the issue is resolved in this setup as the audio came in every single time

What do you guys think the problem is? To my limited knowledge, I believe there is some EDID handshaking problems happening when the CXUHD and EV707 are in synch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the EDID information always occurs at system startup, and just ONCE. Also, I think it’s always the destination (the EV707 in my case) that determines the best audio available, and not the source. At system startup, all works well, so why would that EDID/HDMI audio ‘just drop’ when I pause movie disc, change audio inputs on the pre/pro? Btw, the video always plays on the Sony TV...

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated! I’ve basically been having this issue since day 1, back in Jan/Feb when I got the CXUHD unit.

Thanks everyone - cheerio!
I had a similar issue with the CXUHD I recently sold and my 4K PJ... quite annoying... all my cables are fiber optic and I got other 4 players connected (including an Oppo 203 on which the cxuhd is based) with no handshake issues at all...
My conclusions is that is an incompatibility issue between equips and can be resolved by fw update... but CX is very slow in releasing updates, so I will not hold my breath...

Pioneer UDP-LX500 - Oppo 203EU - Panasonic DP-UB9000 - SONY X-800 UHD BLU-RAY -Apple TV 4K - Marantz SR6013 in 5:1:2 Dolby ATMOS/DTS:X Config - KLIPSH REFERENCE (Towers + Central + 2 surrounds + 2 Atmos Enabled) - KLIPSH R-120SW SUBWOOFER- LG OLED 65C8 - LG OLED 55B7 - OPTOMA UHD60 4K/HDR Projector on 110' SCREEN- Toshiba HD-EP30 HDDVD PLAYER - NAIM ND5 XS 2 streamer - NAIM NAIT XS 2 stereo amplifier - Roon Core on the network
I-SIBI is offline  
post #463 of 542 Old 05-13-2019, 04:34 AM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Thanks I-SIBI!

Upon further testing, I noticed that if I force the CXUHD’s resolution to 1080p, the audio typically comes back (need more consistent testing to ensure, but it happened a few times). Since my pre/pro can’t process anything higher than bitstream uncompressed DTS/DOLBY HD, that might make sense...

So...does anyone know what the CXUHD is sending via its HDMI#2? I thought it’s a blank 1080p audio signal...
no_cure is online now  
post #464 of 542 Old 05-13-2019, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
As a side note, I do not want to replace the CXUHD, as I love it...but suppose it is defective and I have a chance to pick up a new premium 4K player: which one should I choose Pioneer LX500 or Panasonic UB9000?

I’m not interested in SACD, just superlative video and audio from any movie disc (DVD/BR/4K). My TV is a Sony so it needs to have Low Latency Dolby Vision standard
no_cure is online now  
post #465 of 542 Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
As a side note, I do not want to replace the CXUHD, as I love it...but suppose it is defective and I have a chance to pick up a new premium 4K player: which one should I choose Pioneer LX500 or Panasonic UB9000?

I’m not interested in SACD, just superlative video and audio from any movie disc (DVD/BR/4K). My TV is a Sony so it needs to have Low Latency Dolby Vision standard
You stated previously-"I have tested the CXUHD's HDMI port #2 by plugging into an empty HDMI input from TV – performed numerous play/stop/switch inputs – and voila, the issue is resolved in this setup as the audio came in every single time"

I'm no expert, but to me this test points to the problem being with your Krell EV707. You said they replaced the HDMI board but could not duplicate the issue. Seems to me it's a firmware issue with the Krell. Maybe contact them again and explain your test where you bypassed the EV and the problem wasn't present. I suppose you could try a different UHD player and see it the same thing happens. That would nail it down to either (1) It's definitively a problem with the EV, or (2) The CX and the EV just don't play well together for some reason.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is online now  
post #466 of 542 Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Thanks Steven! Yeah. I’m afraid it’s my Krell...

I think that I’m pulling in the right proverbial thread: EDID issue with the Krell. When the CXUHD is forced to send 1080 p video, the audio works. And, as another test point: I’ve a Sony X700 UHD on loan, and same thing happens...

I am thinking of getting an HDFury Vertex2 - with that I can manipulate the EDID and ensure that the Krell consistently is being sent a blank 1080p DTS/Dolby HD audio. Probably that should solve my issues instead of buying another SSP or 4K player.
no_cure is online now  
post #467 of 542 Old 05-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Believe I read that the Oppo (and hence the CXUHD) definitely needs to send a video signal (albeit blank video) along with the audio in regards to the HDMI audio out. It's an HDMI design limitation.

LG OLED E8
Oppo UDP-203
Samsung HW-N950
sovereignstar is online now  
post #468 of 542 Old 05-13-2019, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
As I already mentioned previously, I’m in contact with both Krell and CA tech support teams...issue is being investigated.

Per Krell, they never experienced my audio drop out issue...but there are many variables in my environment: length of time EV707 has been on, amount of input switching (to/from HDMI), and most critically (in my opinion) did they test w/ a 4K player or a ‘regular’ BR player?

Per CA, they admitted that they have encountered several/numerous HDMI handshake issues with their CXUHD (which mostly are EDID related) but never w/ my Krell SSP.

What I really want to know is how come the audio is affected on HDMI 2 if video resolution is changed on HDMI 1? I am almost certain (need more repetitive empirical tests) that if I always force the cxuhd to push out 1080p video, audio is consistently being seen and processed by my Krell SSP.

Has any other CXUHD owner experienced audio drop outs to a legacy AVR when splitting audio/video and pushing full 4K video resolutions, but audio returns upon pushing 1080p video?
no_cure is online now  
post #469 of 542 Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Update...sharing this with the CXUHD community as it should probably help save some unnecessary frustration to anyone else.

I've heard back from CA tech support regarding CXUHD video settings and how they can affect HDMI audio to a legacy AVR w/ HDMI ver 1.3:

"When forced to 1080p, the CXUHD knows it can send the same signal to both outputs. When the video upscales to 4K it can no longer send a signal to the Krell as that can only do 1080p. The choice was made that if there is a 4K TV on output 1 then that would take priority over output 2 - so if it can output 4K on output 1 it will do so, rather than stay at 1080p that would be compatible with both outputs."

This really validates that:

  1. my CXUHD isn't broken and it isn't a one-off issue
  2. my EV707 is operating correctly AND per design (i.e. per HDMI ver 1.3 specs)
  3. forcing video on the CXUHD to 1080p, both TV and AVR receive the expected video and audio results
  4. audio problems arise (i.e. no audio being sent to legacy AVRs) when selecting the source video to be in UHD/4k...

Now, I don't follow the Oppo 203 or other UHD players thread, but I didn't recall anyone else in this thread report similar issues as I did (I suspect the Oppo 203 behaves the same??). Moreover, I never experienced this when I had the Oppo 105D in my system, so obviously the issue is EDID related when moving up in the UHD disc spinning world.

I am seriously looking @ Pioneer LX-500 or Panasonic UB9000 as alternatives (they DO have dual HDMI outputs as well), or having a dedicated audio extractor like HDFury
no_cure is online now  
post #470 of 542 Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Update...sharing this with the CXUHD community as it should probably help save some unnecessary frustration to anyone else.

I've heard back from CA tech support regarding CXUHD video settings and how they can affect HDMI audio to a legacy AVR w/ HDMI ver 1.3:

"When forced to 1080p, the CXUHD knows it can send the same signal to both outputs. When the video upscales to 4K it can no longer send a signal to the Krell as that can only do 1080p. The choice was made that if there is a 4K TV on output 1 then that would take priority over output 2 - so if it can output 4K on output 1 it will do so, rather than stay at 1080p that would be compatible with both outputs."

This really validates that:

  1. my CXUHD isn't broken and it isn't a one-off issue
  2. my EV707 is operating correctly AND per design (i.e. per HDMI ver 1.3 specs)
  3. forcing video on the CXUHD to 1080p, both TV and AVR receive the expected video and audio results
  4. audio problems arise (i.e. no audio being sent to legacy AVRs) when selecting the source video to be in UHD/4k...

Now, I don't follow the Oppo 203 or other UHD players thread, but I didn't recall anyone else in this thread report similar issues as I did (I suspect the Oppo 203 behaves the same??). Moreover, I never experienced this when I had the Oppo 105D in my system, so obviously the issue is EDID related when moving up in the UHD disc spinning world.

I am seriously looking @ Pioneer LX-500 or Panasonic UB9000 as alternatives (they DO have dual HDMI outputs as well), or having a dedicated audio extractor like HDFury
I would say since you already have the CX and are otherwise happy with it, using an HDFury device would be the right path. Remember, there are some features that the Oppo/Cambridge UHD players have that the Panasonic and Pioneers models do not.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is online now  
post #471 of 542 Old 05-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,204
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
Update...sharing this with the CXUHD community as it should probably help save some unnecessary frustration to anyone else.

I've heard back from CA tech support regarding CXUHD video settings and how they can affect HDMI audio to a legacy AVR w/ HDMI ver 1.3:

"When forced to 1080p, the CXUHD knows it can send the same signal to both outputs. When the video upscales to 4K it can no longer send a signal to the Krell as that can only do 1080p. The choice was made that if there is a 4K TV on output 1 then that would take priority over output 2 - so if it can output 4K on output 1 it will do so, rather than stay at 1080p that would be compatible with both outputs."

This really validates that:

  1. my CXUHD isn't broken and it isn't a one-off issue
  2. my EV707 is operating correctly AND per design (i.e. per HDMI ver 1.3 specs)
  3. forcing video on the CXUHD to 1080p, both TV and AVR receive the expected video and audio results
  4. audio problems arise (i.e. no audio being sent to legacy AVRs) when selecting the source video to be in UHD/4k...

Now, I don't follow the Oppo 203 or other UHD players thread, but I didn't recall anyone else in this thread report similar issues as I did (I suspect the Oppo 203 behaves the same??). Moreover, I never experienced this when I had the Oppo 105D in my system, so obviously the issue is EDID related when moving up in the UHD disc spinning world.

I am seriously looking @ Pioneer LX-500 or Panasonic UB9000 as alternatives (they DO have dual HDMI outputs as well), or having a dedicated audio extractor like HDFury
When both HDMI outputs are connected and "live": The OPPO 203 and 205 send out 1080p video of a black screen on the Audio HDMI output regardless of the video content and format going out on the Main HDMI output. Audio is also Muted on the Main HDMI output. The 1080p black screen video going out on Audio HDMI is able to carry any of the supported audio output formats, including things like Dolby Atmos.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #472 of 542 Old 05-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
I would say since you already have the CX and are otherwise happy with it, using an HDFury device would be the right path. Remember, there are some features that the Oppo/Cambridge UHD players have that the Panasonic and Pioneers models do not.
Thanks @StevenC56 , I appreciate your continued feedback - it's good to know that my anguish is being understood (since I've had this issue ever since I acquired the CXUHD over 4 months ago)! I plan on keeping the CXUHD, but I'm not taking this lying down as some things still don't make sense to me.


Basically I've emailed CA tech support back to better understand why what's being outputted @ HDMI port 2 is being dictated by what's happening @ HDMI port 1. Of course, there is an inherent correlation between the 2 ports as everything is being derived from the same input signal.

CA's final recommendation is to have CXUHD force 1080p video, that way I'm guaranteed to have both video and audio out. I not chuffed about this statement, since to me, this is an admission of a flawed design making the CXUHD a worthless 4k/HDR video source.

Therefore, for my sanity, I would like to understand if there is any benefit in sending any 4k/HDR video metadata via a dedicated HDMI audio port. Isn't HDMI #2 sending a blank 1080p video with the 192kHz/24bit audio bits enabled? I'm totally fine if proven wrong, but how I see it at the moment is that implementing a dual HDMI port in the CXUHD is the entire use case: to split 1080p audio to legacy AVRs and maintain 4k/HDR video to capable TVs. And that is very much the same way most HDFury products have been implemented.

Lastly, if this is inherent to the CXUHD design, I can't believe I'm the only one having audio issues like this, and I was really hoping that other CXUHD owners would chime in with similar issues and possible resolutions.
no_cure is online now  
post #473 of 542 Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
When both HDMI outputs are connected and "live": The OPPO 203 and 205 send out 1080p video of a black screen on the Audio HDMI output regardless of the video content and format going out on the Main HDMI output. Audio is also Muted on the Main HDMI output. The 1080p black screen video going out on Audio HDMI is able to carry any of the supported audio output formats, including things like Dolby Atmos.
--Bob
Thanks Bob, I didn't see your post prior to my last reply.

That is exactly how I envisioned the CXUHD's dual HDMI ports to operate, and given the 203/CXUHD similarity, I find CA's tech support suggestions and answers somewhat contradictory at their core.

So..does this put me back to square 1? Is my particular CXUHD defective or is it all about how my legacy SSP handles HDMI input signals? I'm actually wishing that this would be a binary problem: audio completely works, or it completely doesn't. But this half-baked stuff, where I sometimes get audio, and sometimes don't is really annoying and hard to diagnose.

Moreover, doesn't the EDID handshake occur @ system start-up, with the best resolution driven by the sink (TV or AVR), but once successfully established, everything should work? Why would HDMI audio drop if inputs @ the SSP change, but HDMI video continues to work fine?
no_cure is online now  
post #474 of 542 Old 05-17-2019, 10:03 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,204
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
I can’t speak to whether or why CA implemented things the way they described to you. But as for the HDMI, anytime anything changes in content format or signal path a new HDMI Handshake has to happen on ALL the active HDMI outputs. Every device in the signal path participates in this. Copy Protection also sticks its nose in.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #475 of 542 Old 05-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I can’t speak to whether or why CA implemented things the way they described to you. But as for the HDMI, anytime anything changes in content format or signal path a new HDMI Handshake has to happen on ALL the active HDMI outputs. Every device in the signal path participates in this. Copy Protection also sticks its nose in.
—Bob
@Bob Pariseau - thank you, I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to elucidate my audio qualms! Neither Krell nor Cambridge Audio have been able to solve my issue and I seriously started doubting my sanity levels and pretty much ready to throw in the towel! It is ridiculous as one vendor stopped responding to my questions and the other simply shrugs and advises that 'I need to force 1080p video on our 4k/HDR player to ensure you get both audio and video'.

Given what you say, it would make sense that, if I leave + return to an HDMI audio input, then the SSP would need to re-establish connection. What I don't get is why there isn't any sound being processed by my Krell EV707, although the CXUHD info screen HDMI port 2 clearly states "DTS Audio"?

I presume that the Krell EV707's EDID clearly states its max resolution should be 1080p (whose HDMI version is 1.3), so that should be the main and only driving factor for processing any sound when playing a disc movie via CXUHD. Do you have a better understanding as to what is happening given my scenario? Is the CXUHD only saying it's transmitting DTS Audio, but not really sending it, or is the Krell having issues processing the signal?
no_cure is online now  
post #476 of 542 Old 05-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,204
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5783 Post(s)
Liked: 8256
^ HDMI audio is embedded inside an HDMI video stream. Always. There is no such thing as audio-only HDMI.

The video used when transmitting audio could be content video (the normal case) or something made up such as the 1080p static black screen the OPPO 203/205 players use on their Audio HDMI output.

The HDMI protocol prohibits the player from sending a video format the receiving device says it can not accept during the handshake. There would be no point, anyway, since the receiving device wouldn't know what to do with it.

The reply you got from CA says they have chosen to send content video on their audio HDMI output which has the same characteristics as whatever's currently going out on their main HDMI output. This is to be expected as the player likely does not have the hardware to produce two different formats of video content output at the same time. The OPPO has the same hardware limitation, which is why they use a generated static black image instead of trying to send content video on their Audio HDMI output. I.e., they've sidestepped the problem of having to produce two distinct output formats of the content video simultaneously.

But if that reply from CA is factual, and you tell the CA player to output 4K to your display on main HDMI, and the AVR attached to audio HDMI says it can not accept 4K video input during the handshake, the player has no choice but to mute the video on the audio HDMI output. Which also means they've no way to transmit the audio on that output. The symptom would be as you have reported: No audio going to your AVR on audio HDMI when main HDMI is sending 4K video to your display. Indeed, your AVR should actually report it is receiving NO SIGNAL as input from the player, since the audio HDMI output is not sending any video (and thus also, no audio).

---------------------------

If CA has actually implemented their two-output HDMI this way, I would expect there would have been lots and lots of complaints already, as the primary reason for including an audio HDMI output in the first place is if the system is using a legacy AVR which can not pass 4K video. So I'm thinking there is something else going on here, but if that's the case I've got no explanation for the reply you got from CA.

---------------------------

I should add there's another complication to this two-HDMI design, and that is that the HDCP Copy Protection level for licensed 4K content is higher than for legacy content. If you've got a legacy AVR on the Audio HDMI output, the player has to be able to support both Copy Protection levels simultaneously on its two outputs. If the player is trying to impose the 4K compatible Copy Protection on the audio HDMI output, that too would result in No Signal on that output.

This gets complicated fast, and sorting out what's really blocking things for you could be tricky,

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 05-17-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #477 of 542 Old 05-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
A million THANK YOUs @Bob Pariseau – you broke this issue down better than the manufacturer of either the SSP or the 4k player, I really appreciate your input!


Evidently, there is certainly something amiss in my setup, but what you outlined makes 100% sense! However, given the plethora of empirical tests and permutations (with or without 4k video being pushed through) that I have performed in the last 4.5 months, there are still some lingering questions:

1. If EDID/HDCP handshake issues are indeed at play, why does sound always process upon fresh system start up (powering every equipment up) EVEN with 4k/HDR video enabled at CXUHD? If there is a handshake issue, it should never work...

2. The audio problems always arise when I switch inputs on the SSP (leave HDMI – switch to tosslink – return to HDMI)

3. Just last night, upon performing #2 above + turning off HDR and 4k video and forcing the CXUHD to play 1080p – audio was isn’t being processed by Krell EV707 even in this low rez configuration.


I don’t think that I’m asking anything above what either the Krell EV707 and/or CXUHD design initially called for: 4k/HDR video to my TV, and process DTS Master HD/Dolby True HD audio via the SSP. Both of these excel at their jobs, especially the EV707...


With all that in mind, I wish to believe that the dual HDMI port design by CXUHD isn’t robust enough for my circumstance. Therefore, and given several recommendations on this forum, would a purposefully designed HDMI audio extractor from HDFury (i.e. upcoming Vertex 2) solve my issue?


Cheerio!
no_cure is online now  
post #478 of 542 Old 05-19-2019, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 13,253
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5269 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
@no_cure have you tried forcing the video output to 2160p60?

A year ago both the Oppo 203 & CXUHD caused some strange issues with my Lyngdorf MP-50 processor. The Sony UDP-X800 worked just fine. I was able to workaround the issue by forcing the video output to 60p on the Oppo/CXUHD. The Oppo design is supposed to always send 1080p60 on the audio only output. However, the frame-rate was following the video frame-rate, which is most often 24p with Blu-rays but switches to 60p with disc menus and the players own menus.

I sent all of this info (captured via HDFury Vertex) to Oppo & CA a year ago. Oppo resolved the issue in firmware and CA has been saying the issue will be addressed in the next firmware update [been waiting about a year now].

If your issue is similar, forcing the video output to 4k60p or maybe even 4k24p (the Krell may handle 1080p24 just fine without the frame-rate switching).

CA support ticket: 380149
Quote:
Joseph Buechel (Cambridge Audio)
Jul 10, 16:02 BST

Hello Marc,

I just wanted to write you back about this issue.

There should be a new firmware being released sometime soon that will correct this issue. I don't have a date yet, but I would say in the next month or so.

Thank you and we hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Joseph Buechel
Cambridge Audio
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #479 of 542 Old 05-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
no_cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1. Jönköping Sverige / 2. DFW
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@no_cure have you tried forcing the video output to 2160p60?

A year ago both the Oppo 203 & CXUHD caused some strange issues with my Lyngdorf MP-50 processor. The Sony UDP-X800 worked just fine. I was able to workaround the issue by forcing the video output to 60p on the Oppo/CXUHD. The Oppo design is supposed to always send 1080p60 on the audio only output. However, the frame-rate was following the video frame-rate, which is most often 24p with Blu-rays but switches to 60p with disc menus and the players own menus.

I sent all of this info (captured via HDFury Vertex) to Oppo & CA a year ago. Oppo resolved the issue in firmware and CA has been saying the issue will be addressed in the next firmware update [been waiting about a year now].

If your issue is similar, forcing the video output to 4k60p or maybe even 4k24p (the Krell may handle 1080p24 just fine without the frame-rate switching).

CA support ticket: 380149
Quote:
Joseph Buechel (Cambridge Audio)
Jul 10, 16:02 BST

Hello Marc,

I just wanted to write you back about this issue.

There should be a new firmware being released sometime soon that will correct this issue. I don't have a date yet, but I would say in the next month or so.

Thank you and we hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Joseph Buechel
Cambridge Audio
I appreciate the input...and I thought that could have been it!

Today no matter what I did, I couldn’t get any sound; tried 1080p/60Hz, 4k/60, 720p/24, 1080i/24...nothing.

So I TOTALLY gave up - no friking HDMI audio between CXUHD and Krell EV707, took out the HDMI cable and simply trashed it. I’m now using tosslink optical for any disc being played on the CXUHD - that is 100% solid connection every time!

I do have 1 more hope: the Vertex, otherwise if anyone wants to provide consulting services and get this audio issue fixed - I’ll pay.

HDMI is simply BS, especially when it comes to audio.

/end rant.
no_cure is online now  
post #480 of 542 Old 05-20-2019, 07:24 AM
Member
 
BLMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_cure View Post
HDMI is simply BS, especially when it comes to audio.

/end rant.
I will disagree, I understand it’s infuriating and unacceptable that it won’t work as it should specially on a $14k plus high end pre amp but I have a mere $3k marantz receiver and it works flawlessly.

Living Room: Mitsubishi WD82738 1080p 3D, Onkyo HT-9400 THX 7.1, Oppo DV-980H, Sony BDP-S6500 (Multi Region), Roku 2 XS
Bedroom: Sony XBR-65-850E 4K, PS4 launch edition, Sony UBP-X800
Basement: Sony XBR-75-Z9D 4K 3D, Marantz SR-8012 11.2, B&W 7.1 set, KEF Q50AB, Marantz TT-15S1, CA CXUHD, PS4 Pro, PSVR Bundle, PS3 60GB 1st gen.
BLMN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off